[Discussion] The Quiz Show

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Shinigami777

[Discussion] The Quiz Show

Post by Shinigami777 » Feb 15th, '09, 20:12

I've read up on this series and I'm absolutely fascinated by the concept. I'm just curious if there are any soft subs for it or if there are any plans to fansub the series.

I'm just curious because I can't seem to find any threads discussing this series at any great length.

I've watched a little bit of the first episode and I'm already hooked, in that this show combines elements of the typical grandiose style of Game Shows like 'Who Wants to be A Millionaire and The Weakest Link' with the style of the anthology type of series like 'The Twilight Zone'.

It's a brilliant combination, and I really do hope there are plans to fansub this series. I've seen some fansubs in a streaming online format, but only up to episode 7, and I know there are 12 episodes altogether.

Has anyone else watched this show? Cuz I'd love to know what other people thought about it.

Hyrrokkin

Post by Hyrrokkin » Mar 4th, '09, 10:14

I just finished it (Yay for 20 minute episodes, fit right into school breaks. :P) and I loved it. The story's much more in dept than I expected after the first one or two episodes.

I'm planning on subbing this, but I don't know when it will be getting released. There's a whole lot of typesetting to do, and I'm not 100% fluent so translating takes more time & I have to have a friend of mine check it over, so it takes some extra time, but this series deserves all the time that's put into it. :3

A definite recommend if anyone is looking for a series to watch.

Anibas

Post by Anibas » Mar 5th, '09, 22:01

I'm really curious about this drama, I watched the first episode and it seemed really intriguing. I'm glad to hear that it will be getting subbed! がんばって Hyrrokkin!

Just so you all know, The Quiz Show Golden is confirmed to air this spring, though no cast details have been determined as of yet. I'm curious to know if it'll be a continuation or a a separate story. I haven't finished watching the first season so I'm not sure if it had an open ending.

Hyrrokkin

Post by Hyrrokkin » Mar 6th, '09, 00:25

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHH AWESOME
Spoiler for the end, look if you want:
It did end open, yes, but I'm not sure how they're going to keep the same mood going with the same cast.
Where are the news for the Golden, though? Any link, anywhere? :3

Anibas

Post by Anibas » Mar 6th, '09, 01:16

I really want to read that spoiler! D: Must. Resist.

Here is the link confirming Golden. It's going to air on NTV's Saturday 9pm timeslot.

Say, Hyrrokkin, now that you've seen the ending is it possible that Golden will be a continuation or would having an entirely new cast be possible?

crocus

Post by crocus » Mar 6th, '09, 01:42

is this a kind of a drama?

Hyrrokkin

Post by Hyrrokkin » Mar 6th, '09, 08:47

Anibas: That's basically what I answered in the spoiler. :r

crocus: There is some drama in it, mostly in the end, but most of the show goes around psychological warfare :)

crocus

Post by crocus » Mar 6th, '09, 09:45

Hyrrokkin,

so it's not a drama serie? more like a game show?

sorry for being too blur.

Hyrrokkin

Post by Hyrrokkin » Mar 6th, '09, 12:09

Ah, you meant drama like that. I was wondering which it was. :P

Anyway, yes, this is a drama series. It's about a gameshow, kind of like the American Millionaire thing, which offers to fulfill any one dream of the contestants, given that they clear all the questions correctly. The questions are often sensitive and the contestants have trouble answering them because the touch on some sensitive subject in their past.

It's really fun, I couldn't stop watching it personally. :3

crocus

Post by crocus » Mar 6th, '09, 12:17

Hyrrokkin,

thank you so much for clearing this up...
i think i'll give this a shot...
thank you so muh for answering my questions patiently... :)

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Mar 14th, '09, 01:57

The casts for Season 2 has been announced: Sakurai Sho, Yokoyama Yu, Matsuura Aya and Miki Maya. Sound like it's becoming an idol drama :lol But thanks to this announcement, I become very intrigued in the 1st season, sounds alot like my type of drama! Suspense and psychological!

Btw, where can I find that subbed online streaming up to Ep7? Is it English?

Anibas

Post by Anibas » Mar 14th, '09, 03:47

I am no longer excited about season 2. Ugh, seriously why are they turning it into an idol drama? They should just keep Maya Miki and recast everyone else. D:

Oh well, I'll just pass, I guess.

Hyrrokkin

Post by Hyrrokkin » Mar 14th, '09, 20:36

Ugh, I get a feeling they're going for a cast-audience instead of a story-audience. I was skeptical at first about a second season, since it wrapped up what was so intriguing in the first season.

I'll still see and give it a chance, though, but I don't know how much further that will go. :)

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Mar 15th, '09, 16:05

Finished first season! Wow, that was one insane and twisted drama :lol I couldn't stop watching, once I play one episode, I ended up wanting for more! Love it! The casts are top-notch. Impressed with Totsugi Shigeyuki's evil looks (kowaaaiii) and Katagiri Jin's MC acting skill.

I'm worried that the idol casts in Season 2 won't be able to live up the first season's casts acting skill, but I hope I'm wrong. At least, the scriptwriter is the same guy who wrote the 1st season, so we won't have to worry on that part. But the directors are different, so maybe there will be a difference in directing. First season was very dark, perhaps 2nd season would be less dark.

I have a feeling that the small guy who give away the invitation card would be in the 2nd season too. I hope so... he's my favorite character :lol

Hyrrokkin

Post by Hyrrokkin » Mar 15th, '09, 16:15

yanie wrote:I have a feeling that the small guy who give away the invitation card would be in the 2nd season too. I hope so... he's my favorite character :lol
Amen to that :D

Shinigami777

Post by Shinigami777 » Mar 17th, '09, 01:40

Wow, I thought this thread was dead. Glad to see people actually talking about the show. I'm so glad there are plans to sub it. I definitely look forward to seeing it fully subbed.

I certainly don't envy the task, because I myself am experimenting with fansubbing a Japanese program, just for fun, and it does take a lot of work, even if you're doing basic subtitles without all the flash, and splash and graphics I know most fansubbers put into their subtitles for certain programs.

To answer another person's questions, I'll see if I can find the link to those 7 streaming English subbed episodes, and put it in my next post. :)

brokenparadise

Post by brokenparadise » Mar 17th, '09, 05:38

Watching streaming with English and Japanese subs here: http://www.viikii.net/channels/goto/thequizshow
Unfortunately the English subs aren't complete. I'm hoping they might update or fix the missing subs for episode 3-7. Haven't found the rest of the episodes though.

ai_yazawa

Post by ai_yazawa » Apr 22nd, '09, 04:20

i've just found out that these fansubbers are also subbing the drama:

STORMY team

and

arashi.vox.com

btw, i'm new here. been lurking quite a while but i decided to post something in this thread coz i'm really impressed by the 1st episode of the new season of The Quiz Show~

yoroshiku~ m(_ _)m

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Apr 25th, '09, 04:31

Oh, there's a S1? I liked the 1st episode of S2 but I may be missing some storyline since I can't find S1? Are there subs for it? Anyone know?

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Apr 26th, '09, 00:24

Season 1 and Season 2 are totally unrelated.

ManweVaire

Post by ManweVaire » Apr 27th, '09, 05:25

what an interesting first episode! better than I expected.. :)

noshadow31

Post by noshadow31 » Apr 27th, '09, 15:30

thanks brokenparadise for the viikii link. new to me. wonder how long it will last though. (before being tracked down by the japan tv stations, i mean.

i kind fast forward through ep1 of the season1 and think i'd better not see any more of the show because it looks like it'd spoil the season 2 for me.

actually they are not really season 1 and season 2 but more like original and remake versions. nice ideas get reused in a better production. :)

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Apr 29th, '09, 16:18

No, they're actually referred to as Season 1 and Season 2.

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Apr 29th, '09, 20:02

Off topic:

@Ladymercury: LMAO looking at your siggy. :lol All these bishies has got some issues to resolve!!

simirugrat

the quiz show

Post by simirugrat » May 2nd, '09, 22:21

I don't know why they call it Season 1 & 2 when all the themes in each episodes are exactly the same. Dramacrazy has season 1. i guess I'll be watching season 2 for the ikemen. :w00t:

jive talkin

Post by jive talkin » May 3rd, '09, 07:03

Ladymercury, high five for the subs.

Nari in episode 3. f**k yeah.

chibi15

Post by chibi15 » May 3rd, '09, 08:52

I just finished watching S1 and I am hooked onto S2 right now cause Evil!Yoko is AWESOME!!!

I think S2 will end a bit differently than S1! At least I hope so! Can't wait for the next episode! <3

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » May 3rd, '09, 13:41

Ep2 was unexpectedly interesting. Ep3 was not so interesting (althou I love Nari <3) Sho has gotten better and better. Somehow, I don't like Matsuura Aya's character....

Can't wait for Ep4! The fortune teller episode was my most favorite part in S1.

shosef

Post by shosef » May 4th, '09, 10:24

does anyone have the subs for the 1st season?...i only found the raw files and i want to dl it with subs....i look over to the subtitles page and no subs were posted yet...

XiaoPauli
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by XiaoPauli » May 8th, '09, 11:21

Honestly, S2 is looking more like a variant, yet polished (albeit overproduced) remake of S1 instead of a full-blown sequel. I'm liking it though, but I do miss the old cast (old game show host was a better actor, too). Haven't figured out if the contestants have a relationship with the game show host yet though. Everyone on the show is way too handsome or beautiful, haha. At least making it an idol drama gets people to see the awesome plot device used.

Anyway, the hostess girl episode from S1 was my favorite episode. I wonder if they're going to "re-imagine" that episode this season.

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » May 8th, '09, 21:23

I dunno how far you gotten in the drama, but by ep 3 you should already figure out that the contestants do have a connection to the host.

MitsukaiKuroi

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » May 14th, '09, 01:50

I haven't watched the first one yet but I am starting to get it for comparison. I noticed that SO many really loved the first and are just okay with the second.

I always think that it is hard to top the original and that is why I held off on watching it until I saw the first one with Sakurai.

chibi15

Post by chibi15 » May 17th, '09, 00:08

The preview!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! The producer of S1 knows Honma!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!! The tension!!!!!!

Woot!! It turns out Kamiyama and Honma are classmates!!! XD XD XD

Now I can't wait to see the next ep!! <3

hideko

Post by hideko » May 17th, '09, 19:08

All I can say is that I just about died when they spoofed a certain other show from this season. Oh, j-drama, how I love you. XD

brokenparadise

Post by brokenparadise » Jun 10th, '09, 04:45

they spoofed GODHAND TERU did they?

People need to talk more about this drama.
What is this I heard about the 1st season contestants were sinners according to the Seven Deadly Sins, while TQS2 is about the Ten Commandments? Discuss please.

lapzod

Post by lapzod » Jun 10th, '09, 09:03

I'd love to get my hands on the first season some day.
I've only seen the first 4 of Season 2 (still waiting on the 720 to come up) but this has pulled me in.

@brokenparadise I never thought about that...i'll have to keep my eye out for it

brokenparadise

Post by brokenparadise » Jun 10th, '09, 09:43

lapzod wrote:I'd love to get my hands on the first season some day.
I've only seen the first 4 of Season 2 (still waiting on the 720 to come up) but this has pulled me in.

@brokenparadise I never thought about that...i'll have to keep my eye out for it
it gets so much better from 5 and beyond.
watching it without subtitles but still as engaging as ever even with only 50% comprehension. this show rocks my socks.

garcon

Post by garcon » Jun 10th, '09, 10:29

the quiz show 2 rocks...really very very hooked with this dorama...

garcon

Post by garcon » Jun 10th, '09, 10:30

brokenparadise wrote:they spoofed GODHAND TERU did they?

People need to talk more about this drama.
What is this I heard about the 1st season contestants were sinners according to the Seven Deadly Sins, while TQS2 is about the Ten Commandments? Discuss please.
really?..
woh..im checking out the quiz show 1 now...
im truly curious by what you just said!

Aoiblue

Post by Aoiblue » Jun 11th, '09, 01:36

Gawd! The show just won me over, to think they would reference the first season! I thought they just made it to where it didnt even exist. Big shock for me, And I cannot wait until ep. 6 >_<

brokenparadise

Post by brokenparadise » Jun 11th, '09, 05:55

yeah. i got bored how episodic and somewhat repetitive it was at first, but then came the revelation on having ties with the original quiz show. wonderful twist!

Misato-san

Post by Misato-san » Jun 14th, '09, 10:05

you can find first wonderful season on jdramas @ livejournal. English subbed.

I'm a little bored by the second one, it is not as good as the original ;_;

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Jul 5th, '09, 05:24

im wondering, for anyone who has access to stormy, have they released TQS2 ep10? ^^

pizza17

Post by pizza17 » Jul 5th, '09, 06:07

No they haven't released it yet. Also waiting patienly for the big final :D

calimerina

Post by calimerina » Jul 5th, '09, 06:40

Already seen final episode a few days ago on YouTube. The story is good but the acting is terrible. 2 challenging for 2 young actors. They were crying, I was :|
Nothing but teen idols.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Jul 10th, '09, 17:21

Watched the c-sub, ok arc, but agree with calimerina on that the characters were too deep for the actors. Who aren't that young, btw. They are in mid/late 20's and have been in many dramas each.

Orbity

Post by Orbity » Jul 11th, '09, 08:59

1 episode from Stormy then nothing....? Where are the rest and how can I get the torrent?

TIA :)

olga2468

Post by olga2468 » Jul 11th, '09, 09:10

I couldn't wait for subs, so I've watched it withous them ;)

and I can say that it's my favourite drama ever *_*
I loved characters and the story ^^
Hope see something really good in near future ;)

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Jul 13th, '09, 16:11

calimerina wrote:Already seen final episode a few days ago on YouTube. The story is good but the acting is terrible. 2 challenging for 2 young actors. They were crying, I was :|
Nothing but teen idols.
Considering the previous work they've been in before, its a far cry in skill.

TaroTard

Post by TaroTard » Aug 12th, '09, 23:20

Seeing as I am new to posting here thought I would post for the Quiz Show first. I absolutely love this series, I loved both series for different, series 2 is my fave and I actually managed to get my Dad to order me the first press box set for my bday/ Christmas so I am excited about that ^^

The first series I loved for it's acting, fast pace and darkness
The second series I loved for it's acting and deeper more drawn out story. It wasn't as dark as the first series but because the eps were longer it meant I felt more for the characters and I did really like the acting, I thought Sho was brilliant as the MC... but it probably helps that he does it in real life, some of his cell scenes weren't brilliant but I can overlook that for a show and actor I love so much ^^ I loved Maya Mike, she is one of my fave actresses... she did bug me in the first couple of eps, but her character grew and I liked her more.
Loved the linking of the contestants I wonder how long it would have taken me to get it if I didn't know what was going to happen... I did experiment by getting my bf to watch it but he hasn't finished it yet... only 3 eps off though so I'm sure he's got what's going on by now :o

Anyway love the show <3

Shinigami777

Post by Shinigami777 » Nov 29th, '09, 17:44

I've noticed that the second season has been subbed in English, and yet the first season still remains in its RAW form, what's up with that?