[Discussion] Smile - Jun Matsumoto & Yui Aragaki

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Issy

Post by Issy » Apr 26th, '09, 01:33

oh
i really thought that she might be the same little girl that he helped years back, but somehiw, i thought that would make her much youngr than him
i am also started thinkinh about their (3 main role) connection.

kiki

Post by kiki » Apr 26th, '09, 02:36

Issy wrote:oh
i really thought that she might be the same little girl that he helped years back, but somehiw, i thought that would make her much youngr than him
i am also started thinkinh about their (3 main role) connection.
she is way younger than him. it state that he is 26 while she is 18 year, a nearly high school graduate. so if he 18-20 back then, that would make 10 to 12 then. the forward scene in 2015, how come vito never mention hana. i hope nothing happen to them.

Ginto-gin

Post by Ginto-gin » Apr 26th, '09, 08:21

I just watched Episode 1 (which debuted at a respectable rating of 11.7%). The subject matter is a bit heavy than what I usually watch, and it tugs on the heartstrings, but it's promising so I'll watch 'til the end. I think Matsumoto Jun is pretty good in this one. Nakai Kiichi is solid. And Aragaki Yui looks much cuter here than in "Code Blue"!

padme

Post by padme » Apr 26th, '09, 13:02

eh O.O
finally watch epi 2, i think Kazuma have a past like Vito o.Ó and i was thinking that the little girl was hana too O.O but i don't know , uhmmm need subs
:unsure:

Issy

Post by Issy » Apr 26th, '09, 22:07

@kiki
that is why i said in few post earlier that i hope nothing tragic has happened to Hana. we have to bear in mind that we still don't know for what reason Vito is in prison.
plus, when i see his overly happy mood, i can't help not to think he is in some sort if denial or shock or something. i really hope that she is ok.
now that you mention their both age, it could very well be her. :scratch:

kiki

Post by kiki » Apr 26th, '09, 22:40

the sub for ep. 2 is out.

Issy

Post by Issy » Apr 26th, '09, 22:47

kiki wrote:the sub for ep. 2 is out.
:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: where???????? :goggle: :goggle: :goggle:

kiki

Post by kiki » Apr 26th, '09, 23:18

Issy wrote:
kiki wrote:the sub for ep. 2 is out.
:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: where???????? :goggle: :goggle: :goggle:
arashi.vox.com

Issy

Post by Issy » Apr 26th, '09, 23:52

OH, thanks.
i think i will wait for stormy version. i need to enjoy it on bigger screen. :P

quandary

Post by quandary » Apr 27th, '09, 03:49

The writers of this are really heavy handed with the discrimination aspect, but that can be forgiven if they don't beat it to death. What I don't like is they've made Vito a blubbering ball of protoplasm. No one who's survived street gang membership and jail time would be like that, he would have been eaten alive. They've written the character so weak and stupid that I'm having a hard time sympathizing with him. For example, he observes a celebrity buying drugs and is shocked into insensibility. Is there anyone left in the world that would be surprised by that, given that we see it on the news nearly every day? The acting performances, OTOH, are first rate, given what they have to work with, so I'll stick with it for a while.

Ginto-gin

Post by Ginto-gin » Apr 27th, '09, 05:26

Those are interesting observations, quandary. I actually saw Vito as someone who's been "beaten down" by "the system". I'll put the rest of my comments under the spoiler tag.
First, Vito's half-Japanese/half-Filipino heritage makes him suspicious to police authorities who stop to check for his residency status. Even if he shrugs it as being "routine", he's an easy and usual suspect. Secondly, we do not yet know about the circumstances under which he became a part of a gang (for example, debt?). To me, Vito didn't look like a hardened gang member because in the raid scene he looked very frightened. Third, with regards to his "shock" at seeing a celebrity buying drugs, I think it may actually be fear of having witnessed an illegal activity and of the consequences that may ensue. Being a witness puts his word against Kondo's (who was part of Kai's gang) and the actress, Yuki. The last blow was the framing of Vito having possession of the drugs. With those experiences, I think I would be living like a scared idiot, too.
This is a very timely drama in light of Japan's recent reforms to its citizenship laws particularly, the status of children born to Japanese nationals and foreigners.

Issy

Post by Issy » Apr 27th, '09, 08:46

I think i agree with ginto-gin too
this reaction was due to witnessing such offence in very place where he wroks. that eventually will bring polic into action there too and the last thing he wants is to get involved with them again.
not to forget that it's only being 2nd ep so far and there so many aspects of the storyline is not revealed yet

kaheiyeh

Post by kaheiyeh » Apr 27th, '09, 11:57

I've just finished watching the first episode and ...
I can't get over the fact how Vito is treated like that.
I think it's because I'm too used to living in a multicultural society (Australia). I mean, I can literally step on a train or a bus and meet 30 different people from 30 different backgrounds and everyone gets along perfectly fine. You'd probably never get such a situation in Japan though.

The subject matter at hand is very heavy. I almost couldn't watch it to the end of even the first episode! I think it's the fact that I can't stand racial discrimination any more and it really grinds my gears when they say "Filipino bastard".

Other than that, I kinda liked Hana and Vito's relationship. Seems weird that everytime was a coincidence though but who cares! :P

r3ika

Post by r3ika » Apr 27th, '09, 12:36

kaheiyeh wrote:I've just finished watching the first episode and ...
I can't get over the fact how Vito is treated like that.
I think it's because I'm too used to living in a multicultural society (Australia). I mean, I can literally step on a train or a bus and meet 30 different people from 30 different backgrounds and everyone gets along perfectly fine. You'd probably never get such a situation in Japan though.

The subject matter at hand is very heavy. I almost couldn't watch it to the end of even the first episode! I think it's the fact that I can't stand racial discrimination any more and it really grinds my gears when they say "Filipino bastard".

Other than that, I kinda liked Hana and Vito's relationship. Seems weird that everytime was a coincidence though but who cares! :P
same^^

kiki

Post by kiki » Apr 28th, '09, 05:19

i like to post some smile magazine cause jun just too cute in these magazine
got these from http://johnnys-net.net
our favorite hyd pair
and of course the love smile pair
vito and hana
Last edited by kiki on Apr 28th, '09, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.

kiki

Post by kiki » Apr 28th, '09, 05:27

those who hadn't seen ep. 2 yet, here scene from ep. 3
these one is so cute

Machihxh

Post by Machihxh » Apr 28th, '09, 05:42

Thank you for posting all the great scans!! :wub: I can't wait for the next episode! I just hope that this drama doesn't end on a sad note, but something tells me from all the flashbacks to the present, [spoiler]does this mean he's been in there for quite some time and he's not able to come out for some time? I hope not..:-( [/spoiler]

kiki

Post by kiki » Apr 28th, '09, 05:50

Machihxh wrote:Thank you for posting all the great scans!! :wub: I can't wait for the next episode! I just hope that this drama doesn't end on a sad note, but something tells me from all the flashbacks to the present, [spoiler]does this mean he's been in there for quite some time and he's not able to come out for some time? I hope not..:-( [/spoiler]
well it been ep. 2 and during flashback to the present, the only person that interact with vito is the lawyer, and they never talk much about hana. so i really hope that nothing bad happen. come one, haven't vito suffered enough already. and from the beginning, vito say that that they have been fighting this case for five year already. so i think he staying in prisoner for five year already

Machihxh

Post by Machihxh » Apr 28th, '09, 06:15

kiki wrote:
Machihxh wrote:Thank you for posting all the great scans!! :wub: I can't wait for the next episode! I just hope that this drama doesn't end on a sad note, but something tells me from all the flashbacks to the present, [spoiler]does this mean he's been in there for quite some time and he's not able to come out for some time? I hope not..:-( [/spoiler]
well it been ep. 2 and during flashback to the present, the only person that interact with vito is the lawyer, and they never talk much about hana. so i really hope that nothing bad happen. come one, haven't vito suffered enough already. and from the beginning, vito say that that they have been fighting this case for five year already. so i think he staying in prisoner for five year already
Yeah,
since he's been in there for five years already, I thought that he won't be able to come out for some time. I just hope that things end in a positive note for him and that nothing horrible happens to any of his close ones. I hope nothing happens to Hana :-(

Issy

Post by Issy » Apr 28th, '09, 08:57

Yes, according to ep1 & 2
it seems that vito has been in prison since 2010. and for 5 years lawyer ito has been trying to get him out of there but with no success. :-(

but i have a feeling that he would be out of prison by the end of drama and and also have feeling that they won't mentioned anything about Hana by vito or the lawyer in his visits in year 2015. because they started the story from the end where we know he is in prison, i don't think they will give away anything about what will happen between those two till very end too.

well, as long as nothing bad has happened to her and she will be united with vito, i don't mind that. but i don't like the worrying feeling that i get about what happened to her everytime i watch an ep.
i can't wait for ep3, those scenes with red ribbon are to so heart melting. :wub:

veritati

Post by veritati » Apr 28th, '09, 12:23

quandary wrote:The writers of this are really heavy handed with the discrimination aspect, but that can be forgiven if they don't beat it to death. What I don't like is they've made Vito a blubbering ball of protoplasm. No one who's survived street gang membership and jail time would be like that, he would have been eaten alive. They've written the character so weak and stupid that I'm having a hard time sympathizing with him. For example, he observes a celebrity buying drugs and is shocked into insensibility. Is there anyone left in the world that would be surprised by that, given that we see it on the news nearly every day? The acting performances, OTOH, are first rate, given what they have to work with, so I'll stick with it for a while.
First, this TBS dorama is getting on my nerves. It's total BS. I can't believe that a Japanese person actually wrote this dorama. Has he lived in a bubble or warped world all this time? Japan is nothing like what's being portrayed by this dorama. If I were Japanese, I'd be even more pissed. If anything, the family that the protagonist lives with is more representative of how Japanese people really are. Japanese people don't hate foreigners. They don't go around labeling people as Filipino or Chinese or Vietnamese in a negative tone. It's the freaking liberal, western-minded media who are taking things out of context. So those who've never immersed themselves in Japanese society shouldn't assume anything or accept stories as fact without proper experience.

The police is portrayed as hasty, overbearing and brutal in episode one, which is somewhat true - and especially of major crime units that deal with yakuza and drugs - but not only to foreigners. I personally know that they mistreat Japanese the same way they mistreat anyone else. My Japanese brother-in-law is a sommelier and late one night while walking home after work at a restaurant in Ginza a gang of guys who were up to no good bumped into him to try and extort some money, not knowing that he learned boxing during high school. He resisted and a fight broke out. Witnesses of the incidence and ensuing melee called the police. When the police arrived, they arrested and threw everyone into jail. During the interrogation, my brother-in-law was physically abused and accused of being a yakuza without hearing all sides of the story. Long story short: If they think you are a criminal, they will treat you like one regardless of your background. So what they are doing to Vito is not protocol but an elaborate and failed attempt by the screenwriter to get his message of false hate across. They're verbally abusive and wrong, but they're not targeting any specific race. They just want to prosecute the culprit/perpetrator; Vito happens to be half-Filipino. And considering his past, a gang member - be it voluntarily or forced - and not just some innocent poor kid, you can't blame them. So the reality of racism is being distorted by the screenwriter.

Second, M. Jun's character is too annoying. He has an inferiority complex and thinks the world is against him while he is surrounded by such caring people. I can't sympathize with that train of thought. We'll learn more of his past and get to see more self-inflicted injustices as the story progresses, I am sure. But you don't run away from the police no matter how much distrust you have in the system and especially if you are falsely accused. There are injustices but Japan is a democracy. The truth (of the first case), in the end, will be revealed (in episode 2). As quandary pointed out, portraying Vito as a weak and pathetic person is not gonna get people's empathy or sympathy. If anything, there'll be backlash and no one will watch this show. We'll have to watch the entire dorama to see how the story pans out, but the approach so far is subjective and not constructive at all. It's beyond surreal that it's becoming anticlimactic after only two episodes.

Third, A. Yui is way too cute in this dorama. However, her character's temporary muteness is kinda frustrating. Vito helped her before that's why she's gravitating towards him. I think the little girl whose backpack he retrieves is Hana, wearing pony tails then and now. The normal Vito matches fine with her, but not the self-pitiful one.

Fourth, Kazuma probably is a half-breed like Vito. Kazuma took the low road; whereas, Vito took the high road. The screenwriter is probably trying to contrast between the "proper and accepted" half-breed versus the mischievous and troubled one.

Lastly, after two episodes I have mix feelings. On the one hand, I want to rate this dorama an F for the failed effort to address Japan's immigration policies in an underhanded way. On the other hand, without all the overblown race issues this dorama is pretty appealing. The story based on race is already exaggerated and I think having M. Jun plays this character is making it looks even more unrealistic. He just doesn't fit the frail and feeble-minded role or as leading man. I guess that's the annoying part. It's like I am watching Kimi wa Petto all over. I know it's the stories but having two attractive female co-stars and Jun as the leading man is just...laughable.

BTW, please don't post multiple screen caps or scans. It's gonna turn into soompi 2.0, which is extremely annoying.

Salz

Post by Salz » Apr 28th, '09, 14:04

Shun and Jun on those scans look like their grown up version of Gokusen bcoz of their hair with Jun pretty straight hair and Shun's blond hair<33

Issy

Post by Issy » Apr 28th, '09, 14:15

Lastly, after two episodes I have mix feelings. On the one hand, I want to rate this dorama an F for the failed effort to address Japan's immigration policies in an underhanded way. On the other hand, without all the overblown race issues this dorama is pretty appealing. The story based on race is already exaggerated and I think having M. Jun plays this character is making it looks even more unrealistic. He just doesn't fit the frail and feeble-minded role or as leading man. I guess that's the annoying part. It's like I am watching Kimi wa Petto all over. I know it's the stories but having two attractive female co-stars and Jun as the leading man is just...laughable.

but what is wrong with having a race related drama drama once in while out of hundereds of dramas that is being made in japan today? i haven been watching japanese dramas over years now. exaggerated or not , i have not see similar jdrama that deals with the same issues all this time. please let me know if such a drama exist and as i really would like to watch that too.

as for jun, i really think that he is doing a good job in here (not so sure about crying scene in ep1 though). at this time, i can't think of anyone else who can do a better vito than him but i might remember some names as the drama progresses but one thing for sure, there is no one else who could do a better momo. i might be a bit biased because i am a junbait and love and adore everything he does but you might be a tiny little bit biased towards him too in not liking him much? :P
i enjoyed reading your view. 8)

as for the scan, i think is better to be put under spoiler tag all together because it is making the page out of propotion. thanks for posting them though.

gauri92

Post by gauri92 » Apr 28th, '09, 14:32

Actually, my friends had gone to Japan on a trip...there were some issues 'cuz one of them is from eastern india and they look like somewhat south-east asian. Well, my friend was stopped for absolutely no reason on the road and dragged to the police station 'cuz he wasn't carrying his passport...which is alright, i guess.....u can take a person to the police station if u believe tht they are illegal immigrants or sumthing, but what pissed him off was the fact tht the officers were being extremely rude and rough handed with him...
he was willing to go the police station and wait for one of our other frnds to get his passport from the hotel but the policemen were very very rude......i dont think there was any reason for them to be rough with him.......

i wonder if this is even relevant.........but i suppose the issue of race does exist....
but then u can't paint everyone with the same brush....they met good and not so good ppl there, happens in every country......there is no country in the world where it doesn't...

and yes, race is a prevalent topic there because from some documentaries i have seen, indonesian and Filipino ppl are not mostly welcome there, and many of them just end up isolated.....could be on sided documentaries.....oh well, i dunno...

and i really like everyones acting in smile..i think they are all acting very well.......
Last edited by gauri92 on Apr 28th, '09, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.

padme

Post by padme » Apr 28th, '09, 14:43

uhmm I think this drama make everyone have differents kind of views and that is good ^^

but you said that is like watching kimi wa petto O.ó and i was like eh??? i think Smile and Kimiwa petto are two differents dramas and everybody who watch these two dramas can figure out that are so differents plot and story
about acting i find that are good *o* Jun, Gakky and Nakai san do a great job in this drama ^^

pd: thanks for piccus Kiki, i find Vito and Hana cutes too :D lol

lenrasoon

Post by lenrasoon » Apr 28th, '09, 14:58

@kiki: thanks for posting this wonderful scans :wub:

i'm loving this drama, i don't expect that this is a real story or if that behavior is a true portrayal of the Japanese society, i'm not naive! but i think it's great that the drama focuses on foreign character for once...

i think people may take things too seriously :whistling:

PS: and i'm liking Matsumoto jun acting so far, the crying scene in ep. one could be better IMO, but we are only watching 2 episodes so far it's impossible to judge someone acting now. And Matsumoto is a good actor, so i trust that he will deliver...

Aragaki Yui is doing a decent job too, i hope to see her character developing more, but i can't complain about her acting also.
Last edited by lenrasoon on Apr 28th, '09, 15:11, edited 2 times in total.

kiki

Post by kiki » Apr 28th, '09, 15:00

this issues does exist. i have read alot of this topic in the forum, people do get stop by police for their passport, In the smile navi, the cast got to interview some of the half Filipino living in japan, so they didn't pull this out of nowhere. and you are right, not everybody is like that in japan. smile also show that,
from the present time the policemen with vito to vito's family, they are getting along very good, and to bito's family too. That the contrast in smile. and for vito to have such complex when he had such nice family. Well, he have been growing up dealing with this kind of issue until he met them a few year ago. this also lead him into jail too. You can't complete changing your view with just some people being nice to you, he does know that there are some nice people, but he also face racism everyday too.
The point of the staff doing this drama is bringing awareness to everybody, i don't think they mean harm by it.

and i sorry for the picture.

Issy

Post by Issy » Apr 28th, '09, 15:28

yes, racism and discrimination deos happen everywhere and in every country but to aknowledge this problem and do something postive about it is what i think the main aim of this drama. of course noboday like to be told you are racist in their face but if this the fact, the truth has to be told then. no matter where. in japan or else where.

during my visit to japan i got lots of stares which i did not know how to react to and made me so uncomfortable. here in UK is very rude to stare at someone for any particular reason i think it is a general case every where but obviously it was not in Japan.
and to be stopped and being asked for your passport by police just because you don't look like japanese person, is discrimination to its fullest meaning.

it seems that getting off topic in this thread is unavoidable but due to nature of this drama, not so sure if is still off topic. :scratch:

Ginto-gin

Post by Ginto-gin » Apr 28th, '09, 22:20

veritati wrote:First, this TBS dorama is getting on my nerves. It's total BS. I can't believe that a Japanese person actually wrote this dorama. Has he lived in a bubble or warped world all this time? Japan is nothing like what's being portrayed by this dorama. If I were Japanese, I'd be even more pissed. If anything, the family that the protagonist lives with is more representative of how Japanese people really are. Japanese people don't hate foreigners. They don't go around labeling people as Filipino or Chinese or Vietnamese in a negative tone. It's the freaking liberal, western-minded media who are taking things out of context. So those who've never immersed themselves in Japanese society shouldn't assume anything or accept stories as fact without proper experience.
I think we all know that this is drama made for television. In Smile, we see both of Vito’s loving and hostile environments, even if the latter is exaggerated for TV! I don’t think the writers and producers live in a bubble or are stuck in a time warp. Rather, I think they’re gutsy to even produce a drama that deals with race relations because it can be an explosive topic or a downright turn-off. And kudos to them for putting a half-Japanese/half-Filipino for its lead character! I think this is a first for Japanese dramas (please correct me if I’m wrong). The show is not perfect, but it has to start somewhere.

It’s great that your experiences in Japan have all been positive. May it always stay that way for you. However, the experiences of some folks on this thread show a different side of things, that racial tensions do exist in Japan even in the most subtle of forms. It is human nature to have an “us” and “them” attitude, or to cling to stereotypes due to the lack of knowledge of or exposure to one another. It’s not acceptable, but it happens—everywhere.

If you think Smile is beyond surreal, have you seen OL Nippon? OL Nippon is another timely drama about the outsourcing of jobs overseas. It deals with Japanese perceptions of Chinese people and vise-versa; many points were so oversimplified to the detriment of reducing the characters into caricatures. Still, taken with a grain of salt, OL Nippon was interesting to watch. I'll keep watching Smile.

Gokudera

Post by Gokudera » Apr 29th, '09, 23:58

I just finished watching the first episode of this drama, it's not really my cup of tea but I couldn't miss Shun's role as a badass lol. It seems like he became more attracted to violence roles after starring in "Crows Zero".

As for Matsumoto's role, I thought he was doing fine until that crying scene came up and made the whole thing look like a joke. But man wasn't the music just so awesome throughout the whole thing? Hell yeah I'll keep watching SMILE because of it (& For yui-chan's sake :p).

D/Ling ep2 :mrgreen:

MitsukaiKuroi

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » Apr 30th, '09, 14:54

I have also spoken with people online that have had negative experiences in Japan due to racism. One was a Chinese American that was stopped and asked for ID by the police. Even when they saw that he was American they asked if his passport was fake. They delayed him for 20 minutes as they called and checked before they let him go.

I saw another person say that he was walking down the street with two friends that were Asian (not Japanese) and the plain clothes police stopped them and asked for I.D. When he went to pull out his they told him,"He did not need to show his since he was White but the others looked 'suspicious'."

So there is racism in Japan just like everywhere else. And I am happy that they are actually confronting it in a drama! How cool of them to start presenting these issues. And how cool of Jun to take on this role!

If you are in Japan and you don't experience any racism then fabulous! But there must be something to it for them to go this far to make a drama about it.

Issy

Post by Issy » May 1st, '09, 22:17

back to the drama :P ep3 raw is out. :cheers: thanks alot dear gryzz
i watched on keyhole today and i must say, i am loving this drama even more with each ep.
it seems that it's getting into a routine of ending of each ep with some big truobles and hard time for vito. just like endings of ep1 and 2.
Hana x Vito moments on the otherside, is just too beautiful and heart melting to ignore. jun and gakky really showing great chemistry here togther too. i wonder if the fact that both of the are DoS in real life, makes this chemistry even more noticeable. :P
vito is still having hard time with all discriminations that he got and this time is not even from polic but from public.

i remembered that little school girl that jumped on vito's back in eo2. she was that annoying little girl (sorry, i know i am being horrible here but that's how i feel :| ) from utahime.

back to smile, loved those times where Hana tied the red ribbon to Vito's finger. so sad that he still thinks that she is in love with that guy. i am really curious to know how that guy is though. i hope i can understand something when i watch the raw when is done tonight or tomorrow. somehow he does not look evil to me anymore.

and kazuma diffinately is half japanese just like Vito.

still not a proper scene / story about hayashi (shun's character) and this making me kind of angry. i really don't know why such a secrecy about him. maybe, they give away so much in story (when they already told us that vito is in prison for some reasons) and now they want to stretch the story furthur? but still, i am loving every moment of the story.

and there a huge hint to HYD S2 where makino and domyouji is crossing the street and traffic light turns green. they have re-done the whole scene by putting Vito and Hana instead.

and it is so fun when they show hanamaru every now and then in the drama. with recent jun's appearance on there, i keep thinking it would be even funnier if they include that as a apart of the drama. :lol
by the way, ep2 subbed is out already on stormy lj. :cheers:

Edit: just watched ep3, can anyone with better nihongo than mine comfirm this please? onegai shimasu
in the scene in ep3 where kazuma is talking to Vito in prison in 2015, there is a big hint to Hana. i am not sure but did Vito said if Hana did not fall in love with him, should would have been happy(happier)? did i get it right? then that nice prison guard says something back to him about loving Hana.
i am just dying to know what they were talking about.
i really won't forgive the writer if he decided to end it in a tragic way.

Jazzl

Post by Jazzl » May 4th, '09, 10:58

can't wait to see ep 3 subbed +.+

padme

Post by padme » May 4th, '09, 22:16

uhm well i don't know japanesse but i have the same question O.o?? and some friend from livejournal help me becouse when i was watching Smile again i hear hana chan and i was like O.o?? ehhh they mention hana so .......
she told me that Vito said; he never could made hana chan happy or something like that; T.T still i want subs for this ahhhh is killing me at least hana is no dead O.O i was thinking she mabe would dead u__u uhmm something bad happen to her

meowthy

Post by meowthy » May 8th, '09, 13:55

i really dont understand what i am watching. lol i am watching it in tbs right now. do you know anyone who makes synopsis per episode? im a little curious with the story. shun is kowaii when he said hisashiburi vito chan. yayyyyyy...

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » May 8th, '09, 14:00

lol Gokusen reunion.

I caught this at the tail end, like literally last 3 minutes, and Shun called Matsujun a murderer. Guess I need to start watching~

Misato-san

Post by Misato-san » May 8th, '09, 14:02

that's a huge spoiler hide it please T______________________________T

Issy

Post by Issy » May 8th, '09, 14:10

just finished watching ep4

so fainally the truth about Hana's past is revealed
some 9 years ago, Hana's father was involved in big money scam crime that was jailed for this. the case was very big so she had to change her surname to Mishima to be safe from press.

she also had to change school were she was bullied because of that. and YES, that girl that Vito/bito helped in ep2 was Hana-chan. as she was bullied then.
years after she was found by press again and i think at that time where he had the big shock and stopped talking.

Hayashi is finally out of prison and after Vito. the big mystery is why hayashi call him vito the killer and asked him if he has killed some more people after that by the end? could be that Hayashi gone for murdur case instead of vito. i still can't believe that vito has done anything like that, but it could very well be by accident?

i just can't imagine shun as evil guy specially against jun. :P it's so funny. and i thought the he only had some appearance in ep1. it's more like of regular characters and part of the cast now.
overall, great ep usual. still loving it. Hana-chan's smile is so beautiful and cute.

as for Vito's name, i am getting confused again. i thought is Vito but you can see it in the drama and how he write his name, it is written like this ビト that reads Bito. :scratch:

kiki

Post by kiki » May 8th, '09, 14:34

it written bito because there no v in Japanese language so they use b.

Issy

Post by Issy » May 8th, '09, 14:54

kiki wrote:it written bito because there no v in Japanese language so they use b.
i understand but as it is a non japanese name and he is using katakana to write it, and there is a Vi in katakana (ヴィ), he could have written it like this.
my confusion is not even about this. because in some page earlier there was a post as not to say Bito and say Vito because that is how his name is originally and how is subbed but now that i read it, i think we also can stick to Bito. :P
well, Bito or Vito, i guess to goes for both. :mrgreen:

Misato-san

Post by Misato-san » May 8th, '09, 16:56

Issy wrote:i think we also can stick to Bito. :P
And if you stick with it, you'll ignore the fact that it's Italian and in Italian there is a HUGE difference between V and B.

Issy

Post by Issy » May 8th, '09, 17:27

Misato-san wrote:
Issy wrote:i think we also can stick to Bito. :P
And if you stick with it, you'll ignore the fact that it's Italian and in Italian there is a HUGE difference between V and B.
of course i don't want to creat a "HUGE" case about Bito/Vito in here or in Italy or in Japan, i am just saying it wont be an unforgiven sin if some decided to call him Bito (as its written). :lol
the difference between V and B is very big here too, but it is a japanese drama and names and they way they write or pronounce it can change. i was only wondering about the way the wrote the name.
i have been calling him Vito anyway, i just saw his name written in ep 2 and made me curious.
i am sorry, i did not meant an argument over this, let's get back to the story.

shiruchan

Post by shiruchan » May 8th, '09, 18:38

Issy wrote:just finished watching ep4

so fainally the truth about Hana's past is revealed
some 9 years ago, Hana's father was involved in big money scam crime that was jailed for this. the case was very big so she had to change her surname to Mishima to be safe from press.

she also had to change school were she was bullied because of that. and YES, that girl that Vito/bito helped in ep2 was Hana-chan. as she was bullied then.
years after she was found by press again and i think at that time where he had the big shock and stopped talking.

Hayashi is finally out of prison and after Vito. the big mystery is why hayashi call him vito the killer and asked him if he has killed some more people after that by the end? could be that Hayashi gone for murdur case instead of vito. i still can't believe that vito has done anything like that, but it could very well be by accident?

i just can't imagine shun as evil guy specially against jun. :P it's so funny. and i thought the he only had some appearance in ep1. it's more like of regular characters and part of the cast now.
overall, great ep usual. still loving it. Hana-chan's smile is so beautiful and cute.

as for Vito's name, i am getting confused again. i thought is Vito but you can see it in the drama and how he write his name, it is written like this ビト that reads Bito. :scratch:
First of all, sorry about my English, it's not so good as I would like to, so I hope my explanation will be clear enough.

So about Hayashi and B/Vito, if I'm not mistaken,
Actually, the murderer is Hayashi, but Vito was in jail in the place of Hayashi. In ep 02, I remember Kin-chan saying the one who killed 6 people was Hayashi, not Vito, but Vito went to jail and stayed 6 years in prison in the place of Hayashi.

As for Hayashi asking Vito if he killed anyone else, it might be Rina-chan. In this case, if she really died (I still didn't watch ep 04 so I don't know), well, Vito will be considered a murderer, even if he's not guilty.

And about your question regarding ep 03, Vito says to Kazuma exactly what you thought. If Hana-chan would be happy if she didn't meet Vito. And the guard asked Vito: "Since you met the first time, you fell in love for Hana-chan?". Or something like that. Again, sorry about my English.
Hope I helped you to understand the eps better. :-)

Post by 1111 » May 8th, '09, 19:16

Saw the first Episode, I love it and of course jun's acting skills is amazing.
Just wanna ask if someone know the song that was played at HMV at the end of the Ep?

Issy

Post by Issy » May 8th, '09, 20:13

@shiruchan
thanks alot for your explanation and your English is perfect too
now it makes sense. i asked this question because if Hayashi is the real killer and vito was sent to prison instead of him (then why Hayashi himself was in the prison too?) then why would he call vito "killer" as he knows the truth better than everyone.
or maybe he wanted Ito sensei and Hana hear this just incase they did not know about this and they would chnage their mind about him.
it could be also be for teasing Vito for being sent to prison when he was innocent.
@1111
not so sure but i think it was somekind cover version of Blue song. :scratch:

Post by 1111 » May 9th, '09, 01:48

Issy wrote: @1111
really? I heard some Japanese lyrics in it If I heard right.
It sound to me like a collaboration between a Japanese rapper and a female singer, the rapper sound so familler to me.
anyway thanx ^^

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » May 10th, '09, 06:33

Issy wrote:
now it makes sense. i asked this question because if Hayashi is the real killer and vito was sent to prison instead of him (then why Hayashi himself was in the prison too?) then why would he call vito "killer" as he knows the truth better than everyone.
or maybe he wanted Ito sensei and Hana hear this just incase they did not know about this and they would chnage their mind about him.
it could be also be for teasing Vito for being sent to prison when he was innocent.
Since it is evident that Vito has taken the blame for Hayashi's murder, I think we're to assume that Hayashi was simply in jail for something else. Even though Hayashi hasn't been charged with murder, he is known to be quite an evil guy and doing many other bad deeds. And yes, from the context of the entire drama and his overhearing that Vito is at fault for nearly killing the girl (albeit in no way on purpose), I'm sure you are right with the second statement that Hayashi is teasing Vito by calling him a killer. He's basically trying to reinforce the fact that Vito has taken his blame in his stead. I wouldn't think it has anything to do with trying to change Kazuma's mind about Vito as a person.

Issy

Post by Issy » May 15th, '09, 14:55

ep5
oh, my god. this must be the most horrible ep ending for this ep so far. i am in shock. i could not see that coming at all. from the kind of happy theme of this ep, i knew that somerthing terrible will happen at the end. but i was not expecting this.
the dad of that family hanged himself. :O :O :O
i really need subs because there are so many things happening and needs to be understood fully.
Hyashi is out and back on bulling Vito. the shop is still closed, something happening with their rice/wheat supplies, Ito Kazuma's ex-girlfriend is back...
and there is some hints about Hana in 2015. it seems like they don't know about her where about (since Vito's went to jail) i think.
need someone with better nihongo to explain more. onegai shimasu.

kiki

Post by kiki » May 15th, '09, 19:31

ep. 5
this is the saddest ep since i watch smile. i got so shocked at the ending. thought thing like this happen in real life. some people can't take the pressure. but i really vito's family, they seems so happy supporting him. if it get more depressing than this, it really going to be hard to watch this drama. jun say that is a drama about smile through all the tragedy. I hope they show that you can goes pass all the thing happen.

Issy

Post by Issy » May 15th, '09, 20:59

kiki wrote:ep. 5
this is the saddest ep since i watch smile. i got so shocked at the ending. thought thing like this happen in real life. some people can't take the pressure. but i really vito's family, they seems so happy supporting him. if it get more depressing than this, it really going to be hard to watch this drama. jun say that is a drama about smile through all the tragedy. I hope they show that you can goes pass all the thing happen.
yes, the best quote of today ep is when jun said his smile and laugh is his defence mechanism. when ever he feels sad, lonely or being treatd badly or having horrible times and painful memories all he does is to laugh and smile to make him feel better. :cry:

shiruchan

Post by shiruchan » May 15th, '09, 21:06

@issy

Feel free to PM me when you don't understand what they're saying. :D
I'll try my best to not confuse you with my bad English :P

Issy

Post by Issy » May 15th, '09, 21:50

shiruchan wrote:@issy

Feel free to PM me when you don't understand what they're saying. :D
I'll try my best to not confuse you with my bad English :P
oh my dear shiruchan
1st of all, i want you to know that your English was very good. i love to pm you everytime i can't understand what they are saying but i really think it would be great for all smile drama fans if you can write it here so everyone read and understand and enjoy.
thanks alot for your offer. will definitely bother you sometimes. :P

mazz93

Post by mazz93 » May 16th, '09, 10:09

1111 wrote:
Issy wrote: @1111
really? I heard some Japanese lyrics in it If I heard right.
It sound to me like a collaboration between a Japanese rapper and a female singer, the rapper sound so familler to me.
anyway thanx ^^
If you didn't find it already, I think it's 'sugar' by Flo rida and some random person :D

Has anybody subbed episode 3 yet?
My Japanese isn't good enough D:

zhmogeliukas

Post by zhmogeliukas » May 21st, '09, 18:12

I love this drama even when I have watched only 2 episodes! (heh I'm waiting for subsXD)
This is really good drama,I think.
and soo many actors I know ^_^''

Matsuloverrrr

Post by Matsuloverrrr » May 21st, '09, 18:46

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhh Episode 3 is still not on D-addict but it already came out O_O can't wait !!! xD
I want to see Jun again, he's really good at acting in this drama :)
I love his smile in epi 1 when he meets with his lawyer ^^ :wub:

zhmogeliukas

Post by zhmogeliukas » May 21st, '09, 18:56

Matsuloverrrr wrote:WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhh Episode 3 is still not on D-addict but it already came out O_O can't wait !!! xD
I want to see Jun again, he's really good at acting in this drama :)
I love his smile in epi 1 when he meets with his lawyer ^^ :wub:
ep 3 is on D-addcits,but it'sstill not subbed.
So we'll wait,yeah? :D

P.S.
I actuallydon't know but I fell something strange about that lawyer. I watched only 2 eps,but i don'tknow..maybe he's Vito's father?or bad guy?XDcuz he had changed his name.. O_o''

Matsuloverrrr

Post by Matsuloverrrr » May 21st, '09, 19:02

quote]
ep 3 is on D-addcits,but it'sstill not subbed.
So we'll wait,yeah? :D

P.S.
I actuallydon't know but I fell something strange about that lawyer. I watched only 2 eps,but i don'tknow..maybe he's Vito's father?or bad guy?XDcuz he had changed his name.. O_o''
[/quote]

Yea.. We'll wait 8)
Me 2 :O although I don't think he's the bad guy :-)

zhmogeliukas

Post by zhmogeliukas » May 21st, '09, 19:10

Matsuloverrrr wrote:quote]
Me 2 :O although I don't think he's the bad guy :-)
So it this way
he coud be his father o.o''
but hah...it's Japanese drama you never know what will happen or who is who :D
not for all dramas but for this it is i think

Matsuloverrrr

Post by Matsuloverrrr » May 21st, '09, 19:13

So it this way
he coud be his father o.o''
but hah...it's Japanese drama you never know what will happen or who is who :D
not for all dramas but for this it is i think[/quote]

:O Could be ^^
it would still be shocking if he was his father :O:O

zhmogeliukas

Post by zhmogeliukas » May 21st, '09, 19:19

Matsuloverrrr wrote: :O Could be ^^
it would still be shocking if he was his father :O:O
or in other way,for what this character is needed?XDD

lol,we should just wait for other episodes :D

Matsuloverrrr

Post by Matsuloverrrr » May 21st, '09, 19:24

or in other way,for what this character is needed?XDD

lol,we should just wait for other episodes :D[/quote]

Yosh ^^

Issy

Post by Issy » May 21st, '09, 21:09

Matsuloverrrr wrote:or in other way,for what this character is needed?XDD

lol,we should just wait for other episodes :D
Yosh ^^[/quote]

have you read some of previous posts at all? :scratch:

actually the character of ito sensei (the lawyer) is one of mains. how can he be not needed?
Ito Kazuma's past is very similar to Vito. that is why he helps him at the end and would be the one he defends his case. he is not orginally japanese. he might be half japanese and through put his life, suffered the same prejudice and hard times as Vito. and i think to do with the same thing, that he lost his first love too. later on, he changed his name and became japanese.
at first he did not want to have anything to do with Vito because he was a reminder of his past. but later on, came to like Vito. if you see, even from ep1, he is the only one who has stood by him till then and trying to prove him innocent.
that is why, his character is needed the most in this drama.

Matsuloverrrr

Post by Matsuloverrrr » May 21st, '09, 21:22

I did think he was needed 8) I only found his character very mysterious :O Thanks for making it clear :-)

kiki

Post by kiki » May 22nd, '09, 05:47

this is the preview of next week ep.
credit at johnny-net
doesn't this picture remind you of the current vito in 2015.
i can't wait for next week, eventhought this week haven't air yet. Ep. 3 is already sub at stormy. you need to join the community but it seems it take a long time to get in.

Issy

Post by Issy » May 22nd, '09, 23:26

just watched ep 6
it was such a sad and emotional ep for me that brought tears to my eyes. the preview of ep 7 looks very interesting. now i can't wait for next friday to come.
Hayashi is getting more and more creepy by time. i have never seen shun in such a role before but he is so great in it.
Vito's(Jun's) crying is improving alot since 1st ep. and Hana-chan getting more and more adorable by each ep. just can't have enough of their moment. :wub:

somehow, i think that shiori will end up with Ito sensei even though his old time girlfriend has decided to divorce her husband (and maybe coming back to him)

i am more convinced that by the time 2015, no one has any idea about Hana's whereabouts. she probably will come back by the last ep. for same reason, i really don't think that something tragic has happened to her just before vito gets jailed.

by the end of ep, i thought i knew why Vito was in jail till 2015 and it's to do with protecting Hana from Hayashi. as he might have killed him in order to save her.
but seeing the preview of ep 7 in which i think i saw Hayashi is getthing shot (and die?) made me doubt my whole theary about why Vito is in jail.

kiki

Post by kiki » May 23rd, '09, 03:07

ep,6 spoiler
in the preview for ep. 7, it looks hayashi is going to die. i think vito is going to be frame for killing him, it by those people who frame him in ep.1.
i can't wait for the sub, this drama have alot of information that i need sub to understand. i hope they explore hayashi and vito relationship more. i want to know why vito join the gang. and why hayashi kept going after him.

Ginto-gin

Post by Ginto-gin » May 23rd, '09, 08:16

I just saw Episode 3... I'm so behind all you guys. Anyway, I have a theory about Ito-sensei and if proven correct in later episodes, this is a spoiler:
13:18 minutes into Episode 3, Ito-sensei is walking and stops for a moment, almost nostalgic, to look a store-front with Hangul writing on the glass window. I think this is the clue that Ito-sensei has Korean blood. In a latter scene of him in a restaurant, he asks for the house special and is surprised to hear Korean food being featured for the fair. He scoffs and says something about "them" having no principles which shows a bit of bitterness or self-hatred, perhaps because he's had to work so hard to do the right things and blend into Japanese culture. Like, he's had it so hard all his life and now this Korean food fair comes along so easily for the consuming public. He seems to have mixed feelings about it. Nakai Kiichi's acting is so good at powerful subtleties!!
I'd say this drama is pretty good so far. Oh, and I'm really liking the Shiina Ringo theme song.

Issy

Post by Issy » May 23rd, '09, 09:33

Ginto-gin wrote:I just saw Episode 3... I'm so behind all you guys. Anyway, I have a theory about Ito-sensei and if proven correct in later episodes, this is a spoiler:
13:18 minutes into Episode 3, Ito-sensei is walking and stops for a moment, almost nostalgic, to look a store-front with Hangul writing on the glass window. I think this is the clue that Ito-sensei has Korean blood. In a latter scene of him in a restaurant, he asks for the house special and is surprised to hear Korean food being featured for the fair. He scoffs and says something about "them" having no principles which shows a bit of bitterness or self-hatred, perhaps because he's had to work so hard to do the right things and blend into Japanese culture. Like, he's had it so hard all his life and now this Korean food fair comes along so easily for the consuming public. He seems to have mixed feelings about it. Nakai Kiichi's acting is so good at powerful subtleties!!
I'd say this drama is pretty good so far. Oh, and I'm really liking the Shiina Ringo theme song.
you know what? i was going to write about it when i saw ep3 for the 1st time and somehow i forgot.
yes, i have the exact feeling. i think that Ito sensei is half Korean or full Korean and he had taugh times coping with everything and finally he had to change his name to be able to status that he is at the moment. that's why he said if Vito had a ordinary japanese name, his life would have been much easier.
I am SO LOVING Ito Sensei. Kichi Nakai is one great actor. so glad that he is in the drama.

Ginto-gin

Post by Ginto-gin » May 23rd, '09, 09:57

Issy wrote:you know what? i was going to write about it when i saw ep3 for the 1st time and somehow i forgot.
yes, i have the exact feeling. i think that Ito sensei is half Korean or full Korean and he had taugh times coping with everything and finally he had to change his name to be able to status that he is at the moment. that's why he said if Vito had a ordinary japanese name, his life would have been much easier.
I am SO LOVING Ito Sensei. Kichi Nakai is one great actor. so glad that he is in the drama.
Great minds think alike, eh? :-) If I'm wrong, I can blame it on the wine I had tonight. Meet my alibi -->:alcoholic: LOL. Any theories on Hana-chan's unidentified friend?

Issy

Post by Issy » May 23rd, '09, 10:42

Ginto-gin wrote:Hana-chan's unidentified friend?
well, i think he is kind of identified in later eps (as subs are not out there i am not 100% sure)
but
he helped hana and her mom when her dad was jailed for money fraud and since then, he has been the one to keep an eye on her. we know that Hana definitely does not love him (more like an older brother to her) but i get the feeling that he is in love with her.

tobashinki

Post by tobashinki » May 29th, '09, 13:13

Great casts..and SO,great drama!

mokudekiru

Post by mokudekiru » May 29th, '09, 22:06

Ep 7
Ohhh man, Hayashi dead. I did not see Vito actually being able to pull the trigger. I thought he would be completely framed for something he didn't do. Clearly it was in self defense, but technically he did just kill someone.

However, nothing particularly bad yet has happened to Hana-chan, other than being beat up/threatened a bit. We'll have to keep watching I suppose...

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » May 30th, '09, 16:38

I didn't really pay attention to this drama initially, as I'm not a fan of MatsuJun, but recently came across screencaps featuring Oguri Shun and my interest has been piqued.

I heard he plays an evil character. Is it a big role? As in, appears every episode? Boy was I glad to see his blonde hair back.

Issy

Post by Issy » May 31st, '09, 08:41

i watched ep7 last night
so hayashi framed vito again. for a moment i believed him and thought he is really thinking of changing because he was left alone on his own with no friends.

i think hayashi's father is big public figure that is why police was trying to accuse vito instead of him but he still was not able to escape prison sentence.

for some reasons, i knew that vito's imprisonment, has to do with hayashi again. but the only reason that he pulled the trigger was to protect hana.

i am so happy that there was more of romantic revelation of vito x hana in this ep and it was sweet and about time too. it seems that i can never have enough of these kind of scenes and storylines between the two because it is so adorable and sweet and heart melting.

i still want to know the reason why hana disappeared and did not visit vito for 5 years, from preview, you can clearly see that she was the reason that made vito run away instead of going to poice (which i am certain he would have done as he came to his senses because he was telling hayashi to give himself up to police earlier)

so troubles start all over for vito again. i am starting to think that he must have the most peaceful life when he is in prison.
Last edited by Issy on May 31st, '09, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.

zhmogeliukas

Post by zhmogeliukas » May 31st, '09, 09:50

Issy wrote:i watched ep3 last night
u watched raw version? or there are sus somewhere ?