Japanese Dorama

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Amado

Japanese Dorama

Post by Amado » Jun 18th, '09, 11:27

What make japanese dorama successful?I mean is what is the element that make japanese dorama be accepted around the world. From my view point, in japanese dorama has friendship element & family element.what do you think???

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Jun 20th, '09, 02:57

People just like it.

groink

Post by groink » Jun 20th, '09, 05:54

To be quite honest, I don't think Japanese dramas is a world-wide success. I think it is a success among the tiny circle of drama fans like my friends and I, but most certainly not beyond that. During the 1990s, they were a huge treat because there was no such of a thing as fansubbing live TV dramas, and therefore the handful of TV stations airing them only aired the best of the best of the best.

But today, we have several problems: Fuji TV's hammer on professional subbing. Even the biggest of crap dramas being fansubbed. Certain genre of Japanese dramas being completely ignored by the fansubbing community. The 35-plus demographic turning away from free-TV and forcing producers to aim at the youth demographic.

It is true that Japanese dramas had the friendship and family elements, but IMHO most of it is lost today. And I'll tell you why... The difference between the 1990s and the 2000's are huge. During the 1990s, the Japanese were suffering the same recession-like economic problems many of us are suffering today. But, the way the Japanese dealt with it was basically families coming together, living together, and either becoming entrepreneurs, or taking on remedial jobs like hostesses or recycling centers. It was those economic conditions that developed the family elements.

But today, many youth in Japan have a much better life, mostly because their parents are allowing them to stay home and not work. So the dramas today don't have the pressing issues of keeping family together in tough times. Instead, we're seeing much more carefree, and IMHO brainless subject matters that cater to the youth. These kinds of subject matters is de-valuing the Japanese drama genre as a whole.

In short, the Japanese drama is a success. The fanbase is naturally increasing, but is also losing once faithful fans to other Asian dramas who are taking the 1990s elements and recycling them for their own markets.

--- groink