[Discussion] Otomen (Masaki Okada, Kaho)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
shannobi

[Discussion] Otomen (Masaki Okada, Kaho)

Post by shannobi » Jul 24th, '09, 13:08

* Title: オトメン(乙男)
* Title (romaji): Otomen
* Format: Renzoku
* Genre: Romance, comedy
* Broadcast network: Fuji TV
* Broadcast period: 2009-Aug-01 start
* Air time: Saturday 23:00
* Theme song: lover soul by Shibasaki Kou

The story centers around the popular high school boy Masamune Asuka, the top kendo fighter in the nation. However, beneath his cool exterior, he is actually fond of sweets and shojo manga, and is skilled in sewing and cooking. When he instantly falls for the transfer student Miyakozuka Ryo, his secret is in danger of being exposed. --Tokyograph

Cast:
* Okada Masaki as Masamune Asuka
* Kaho as Miyakozuka Ryo
* Kimura Ryo as Tonomine Hajime
* Sano Kazuma as Tachibana Juta
* Seto Koji as Ariake Yamato
* Ichikawa Tomohiro (市川知宏) as Kurokawa Kitora
* Kiritani Mirei as Oharida Miyabi
* Yanagihara Kanako as Hanazawa Yumeko
* Tsurumi Shingo as Asuka's father
* Yamamoto Mirai as Asuka's mother
* Takada Nobuhiko (高田延彦) as Ryo's father

Chart:

Credits: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Otomen and Official site: http://www.fujitv.co.jp/otomen/index.html

Has anyone made this thread? I haven't seen any, so here you go?

So, what do you think? I'm excited for this. This has all my favorite actors from all the different shows, lol.
:D
Last edited by shannobi on Jul 26th, '09, 09:37, edited 1 time in total.

e u p h o r i s t i c

Post by e u p h o r i s t i c » Jul 24th, '09, 19:45

Otomen? SERIOUSLY ? My friend recommended the manga. ;D
I'll watch it! <3
Can't wait... (;

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Jul 25th, '09, 04:27

I'm very much looking forward to this.

Is it true that the broadcast day will change midway through the season? (I should probably ask it like this, Can that be right? This is what I read, via Google Translate, that makes me ask: http://www.sanspo.com/geino/news/090723 ... 011-n1.htm. I'd appreciate someone who can really read the article saying what it really means.)
Last edited by lullabye on Jul 25th, '09, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.

Amrai

Post by Amrai » Jul 25th, '09, 05:17

When I saw the announcement for this, I actually squealed. Because it's a great silly comedy that has a unique plot, and I love their choices for the main actor and actress.

shannobi

Post by shannobi » Jul 25th, '09, 06:05

lullabye wrote:I'm very much looking forward to this.

Is it true that the broadcast day will change midway through the season?
I haven't heard that. Is it true? The air time is Saturdays at 23:00, which is pretty late...

kmixhd

Post by kmixhd » Jul 25th, '09, 06:23

is any group planning to sub this

charia-chan

Post by charia-chan » Jul 25th, '09, 06:45

Kmixhd, for questions like this you can check out the fansubmap here on d-addicts.

Querbeet is going to sub Otomen.

Aikawa Ringo

Post by Aikawa Ringo » Jul 25th, '09, 16:46

Yeahhhh It'S a MUST to watch this dorama XD~
the manga was so funny, i hope this dorama will be like that :)

I remembered Okada Masaki, when he play role as Sekime in Hanakimi :lol
He's so handsome here :roll :roll

memichu

Post by memichu » Jul 26th, '09, 03:56

I love Kanno Aya! This manga is so cute and fun.

Totally looking forward to the drama. Okada Masaki. ♥
I like the Okada Masaki x Kaho pairing. They were cute together in Tennen Kokekko.

I can't wait for this drama!

shannobi

Post by shannobi » Jul 26th, '09, 09:35

memichu wrote:I love Kanno Aya! This manga is so cute and fun.

Totally looking forward to the drama. Okada Masaki. ♥
I like the Okada Masaki x Kaho pairing. They were cute together in Tennen Kokekko.

I can't wait for this drama!
Yeah, I just saw them in Tennen Kokkeko recently. It was a really cute movie. :D

Although, I can't really imagine Kaho as Ryo, it's totally okay. I think Kaho's a good actress.

toma_sis

Post by toma_sis » Jul 26th, '09, 10:22

I'm waiting for this drama!!!
really like the pairing ^___^
the are really cute in Tennen Kokkeko movie... :)

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Jul 27th, '09, 08:15

I was so surprised to find out that they were making a drama for this manga. It's so hilarious and unique and I love the actors / actresses they casts for this. Can't wait for the subbed videos.

Milkywaychen

Post by Milkywaychen » Jul 29th, '09, 00:50

lullabye wrote: Is it true that the broadcast day will change midway through the season?
Yes, that´s true. "Otomen" is going to run over two drama seaons (summer/fall), since they start late with the broadcasting. They will move the series to the Golden Time slot at Tuesday evenings when the fall season starts.

In a Nutshell:

Otomen start on Saturday, August 1, 2009

Episode 1 to Episode 8 are airing in Summer every Saturday at 23:10 - 23:55 pm
Episode 9 to Episode ? (still undecided total of episodes) are airing in Fall every Tuesday at 21:00 - 21:54 pm

There is a rumor that the total is going to be 12 episodes, but that´s not confirmed officially yet!

To Fuji TV´s reason:
The first serial drama that exceeds the framework ! !

Up to now, Fuji Television Network has always challenged new concepts, has been working on a program to make it out of the box and defy the stereotype precedent. That´s why the new drama "Otomen" (total of episodes undecided) is going to be divided in a "Summer Edition" and "Fall Edition", with a change of the broadcasting time on the way, in a first attempt of matching the development with the target audience.

Source: Fuji TV News
Well, I think it´s great that they move to the Golden Time slot, although so late!!! :cheers:

And now a 30 second trailer :D

shannobi

Post by shannobi » Jul 29th, '09, 06:20

^ Ohh, that's awesome for them. That's a pretty good timeslot, I think. That's the same time Atashinchi no Danshi and Mei-chan no Shitsuji aired too, if I remember correctly.

Feisty_Warrior

Re: [Discussion] Otomen (Masaki Okada, Kaho)

Post by Feisty_Warrior » Jul 30th, '09, 02:18

shannobi wrote:
However, beneath his cool exterior, he is actually fond of sweets and shojo manga, and is skilled in sewing and cooking. When he instantly falls for the transfer student Miyakozuka Ryo, his secret is in danger of being exposed
This one amused me. Looking forward to it, the story sounds good.

Junfan21

Post by Junfan21 » Jul 30th, '09, 02:27

Yay!! Can't wait to see Seto Koji in another drama :D I read a chapter of this manga and it was pretty good, so I can't wait to see the drama :-)

xtraordinarilynaked

Post by xtraordinarilynaked » Jul 30th, '09, 15:41

Judging from the CM, it looks very Hana Kimi like.
Well I loved the manga, so I hope the drama is just as good. ^^
Two days!

Cromin

Post by Cromin » Aug 1st, '09, 12:43

:roll :roll cant wait for the first ep to air ^0^

I really want to see Seto Koji and Masaki haha

Maryvel

Post by Maryvel » Aug 1st, '09, 15:08

I just watched the first episode on KeyHoleTV and liked it a lot! :lol It's not as silly as Hana Kimi, but still very funny and Okada Masaki is an incredibly cute Asuka. :wub:

Can't wait to see it in better quality!

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Aug 2nd, '09, 05:00

Just watched ep 1 on YouTube while I was downloading from here. I can barely pick out any Japanese, but the actors are all so good that you can tell the relationships from the body language and vocal inflection. This was well worth waiting for!

It doesn't follow the manga exactly, but the characterization keeps with the original.

shannobi

Post by shannobi » Aug 2nd, '09, 11:09

I saw the first episode. It was cute and funny. Especially with Masaki Okada and his knitting LMAO.

Setp Koji I need to get used to being like that haha. He's cute though. And, I thought Sano Kazuma as Juta was pretty good, even though beforehand I didn't really see him as the character.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased.

Karo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Karo » Aug 2nd, '09, 11:25

Watched it yesterday night... And I so loved it. I was so scared it will as horrible as hana Kimi (I really loved the Hana Kimi Manga... but this show was such a disappointment, that I somehow started to not like the manga so much anymore... T_T)
So I was really, really scared... But... I was so relieved to see that they didn't have to turn it into some forced super-comedy...
shannobi wrote:I saw the first episode. It was cute and funny. Especially with Masaki Okada and his knitting LMAO.
This scene was made of awesome. Haha~~ And it looked so sweet... Whaaa~

Tadanga

Post by Tadanga » Aug 2nd, '09, 16:51

In case anyone was wondering, Otomen means two-sided man.
Which sums up pretty well the storyline.

乙男
乙 = O = two-sided (in this case)
男 = Tomen = Otoko = man

Smackle

Post by Smackle » Aug 2nd, '09, 19:51

I'm really exited about this drama (Haven't gotten around to watching the first ep). I love the manga!

timmonsgray

Post by timmonsgray » Aug 3rd, '09, 01:44

I haven't read the manga, but the first episode was adorable. ^_^ (It's weird to see Kimura Ryo as a "thug".) Definitely looking forward to ep. 2.

kozumifan

Post by kozumifan » Aug 3rd, '09, 02:39

ep. 1 was short!
i wanted to be at least an hour long :(
but it was funny. i watched it on keyhole tv.
Masaki was really cute in it ♥

OnigiriFB

Post by OnigiriFB » Aug 4th, '09, 22:36

Watched the first episode and I know I'm already going to really like this drama. Very funny! The only problem I have is that the main girl is kinda bleh so I can't see Okada falling for her. I already love the rest of the cast though especially Yanagihara Kanako the homeroom teacher. I love her from Cartoon KAT-TUN episodes so I think it's great she's in a drama.

shannobi

Post by shannobi » Aug 7th, '09, 10:40

^ You should try watching them in Tennen Kokkeko. He fell for her there :D

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Aug 8th, '09, 05:46

I finally watched Tennen Kokkeko and they were so cute together. Okada and Kaho does have chemistry. Kaho's a good actress. If you want to see her older shows, maybe watch Jyoou no Kyoushitsu / Queen's Classroom. She's the older sister of the main character in that drama.

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Aug 9th, '09, 03:55

Anyone impatient for episode 2? I found a blog with an embedded low quality stream at Pandora TV:

http://drama-drama.seesaa.net/article/125322495.html

It is really low quality, I'm warning you.

memichu

Post by memichu » Aug 9th, '09, 04:22

shannobi wrote:And, I thought Sano Kazuma as Juta was pretty good, even though beforehand I didn't really see him as the character.
Agreed! I was pleasantly surprised.
Tadanga wrote:In case anyone was wondering, Otomen means two-sided man.

乙男
男 = Tomen = Otoko = man
To clarify this, it's a pun on the word otome (乙女; the second kanji is the kanji for girl or woman) which means virgin/maiden/girl. Instead of referring to a pure-hearted, girly young female, "otomen" is a word made up (using otome + "men", think "ikemen") to refer to a guy with those qualities. And Asuka is the epitome of "otomen." Manly, but with a heart as pure as any maiden. :3

emmy21

Post by emmy21 » Aug 9th, '09, 13:56

I couldn't wait and watched episode 2 on youtube. I guess each episode is 30 mins each week? Lol, is this how they plan to stretch the show till the next season?

I'm liking the show so far and it's has its funny moments, but 30mins seems a bit short for much to happen. I think Kimura Ryo appeared in only one scene this week.
However, the scene where Asuka's mum hid under the table and planted the cake, shojo manga and knitting stuff as a trap was really funny! Although poor Asuka had to lie that he doesn't like eating sweet stuff, and had no cake. Aww.. :-(

The banana peel opening scene was quite something too. Good catch!

I've not read the manga, but are the teachers really so crazy? The students seem like adults in comparison, esp with the english teacher this week!
Anyway Okada Masaki is really cute as Asuka, but Kaho is surprisingly genki in this show. I think the next episode should be quite interesting judging from the trailers.

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Aug 9th, '09, 18:49

Otomen on YouTube has the opening cut out. The low-quality version on Pandora shows the opening as child Asuka is reading an essay he wrote in class to the assembled moms, including his. He reads something about his dad, to which his mom reacts in her typical way. The entire hospital scene is replayed, same doctor, same course of events. This is like the manga, in that every volume has at least one flashback scene to the childhood trauma.

What did the trailers show for next week? I must have missed that.

I was surprised and delighted to see the return of the chibi at the batting cages. And with a little brother this time! So cute!

emmy21

Post by emmy21 » Aug 10th, '09, 10:13

Thanks, lullabye. I just watched the opening of episode 2. It was hilarious...
The students were reading essays about their father. Asuka waited till his mum arrived, and his essay started well, about how he doesn't have a dad, but yet he's not lonely as he has a gentle and caring mum. Then he goes on about how when he was in grade 3, his dad told them he wanted to be a woman, and now is living a faraway town as a "new half". Asuka says he wants to quickly grow up so he get to know this new half.
Asuka's mum is so funny. I swear she's cross eyed in practically every scene.

Episode 3:
The trailers show them at a kendo training camp, where they encounter some ghostly apparition. Asuka looks especially freaked out. Juta also encourages Asuka to confess his feelings to Ryo, but the trailers make it seem like Ryo turns him down?
Anyway I still feel the episodes are really short. Can't wait till the next episode!

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Aug 12th, '09, 06:36

Is there anyone willing and able to take a stab at translating the interviews on the official web site? The latest one is with Seto Koji <http> and there are three more before his.

Or even translations of the questions asked would be great. My kanji knowledge is dreadful, so I have to run almost all kanji through an online dictionary, and the questions aren't in text form (darn images!) so I'm pretty stumped on what is being asked.

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Aug 16th, '09, 01:29

The third episode has been put up on YouTube. You can get to it from the uploader's page: http://www.youtube.com/user/xYARANAIKAx

It's pretty funny. The kendo team is haunted by a ju-on or two.

Oh, found a better link that has the opening sequence intact. It makes more sense with the opening: http://initial-ae86.jugem.jp/?eid=4816

e u p h o r i s t i c

Post by e u p h o r i s t i c » Aug 17th, '09, 00:27

I can't even find the first episode!
:x
NOT COOL.
Anyone direct me to the first episode?
I've tried YouTube (copyright claim) and Vikii (broken).

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Aug 17th, '09, 01:50

e u p h o r i s t i c wrote:I can't even find the first episode!
:x
NOT COOL.
Anyone direct me to the first episode?
I've tried YouTube (copyright claim) and Vikii (broken).
Sure. The torrent for ep. 1 is up. Click on "torrent" at the top of this page, then put in "otomen" for your search term. You will be able to see everything that has been uploaded for Otomen. If you have never used torrents before, be sure to read the FAQ.

Or were you needing DL or streaming? Not sure about DL, since Our Hour locks posts after a week. For streaming, try Google video search.

I wish episode three was uploaded already! It really is good--funny and surprisingly scary.

e u p h o r i s t i c

Post by e u p h o r i s t i c » Aug 17th, '09, 11:34

lullabye wrote: Sure. The torrent for ep. 1 is up. Click on "torrent" at the top of this page, then put in "otomen" for your search term. You will be able to see everything that has been uploaded for Otomen. If you have never used torrents before, be sure to read the FAQ.

Or were you needing DL or streaming? Not sure about DL, since Our Hour locks posts after a week. For streaming, try Google video search.

I wish episode three was uploaded already! It really is good--funny and surprisingly scary.
Well, I was looking for streaming. I guess I'll try Google and if it's not there, I'd be up for downloading. <3
Thank you.

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Aug 20th, '09, 22:13

I got my housemate to watch episode one with me. His opinion--cute! And he wants to see what happens next, so tonight I show him episode 2.

Is everyone waiting for the subs to come out before discussing this show?

ClockwiseStir

Post by ClockwiseStir » Aug 21st, '09, 02:30

lullabye wrote:Is everyone waiting for the subs to come out before discussing this show?
I imagine thats going to be ages since Queerbeat is competing with Nya to see who can release Othorus episodes first :roll

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Aug 21st, '09, 03:22

ClockwiseStir wrote:
lullabye wrote:Is everyone waiting for the subs to come out before discussing this show?
I imagine thats going to be ages since Queerbeat is competing with Nya to see who can release Othorus episodes first :roll
Heh. I'm used to waiting and waiting and waiting for most of the shows I want to see subbed. I was spoiled last season by GiriGiri. But not being able to understand what is being said doesn't stop me from watching. I suppose that's why my favorite actors all tend to be ones who are very expressive, and my favorite shows ones that don't depend on dialog.

So far, I am really like the cast of Otomen. I don't care for the teachers' scenes--perhaps they are geared toward some strang Japan-only high school experience? But other than that, I am really pleased. I like the repeating scenarios best of all --
Juta doing his neko impersonations, Asuka's mom in the hospital corridor, the batting cages, even Asuka being stopped in the hall by the same girl all the time
--maybe because they give me a chance to practice hearing Japanese best. But also, I think sometimes a running gag can be hilarious, and so far, they have been.

sarkazein

Post by sarkazein » Aug 23rd, '09, 18:07

Tadanga wrote:In case anyone was wondering, Otomen means two-sided man.

乙男
男 = Tomen = Otoko = man
Agree, but...
Actually, I think "otomen" is a joke with the word "乙女" (otome), that means "lady".
男 (おとこ,ダン) is read as "men" in this word (a japanese person wouldnt read it as "otomen", btw. cause this way of reading is artificial 8) I think a japanese person would initially read 乙男 as "otodan")
→ ahh, sorry my bad english ;_;

They just put the kanji for man (男) instead of the kanji for woman and created a new way of reading it (女). :D

jecca

Post by jecca » Aug 24th, '09, 07:08

I'm also waiting for the subbed versions :) I actually downloaded the raws for episodes 1 and 2 thinking that I can understand Japanese. lol fail. I just ended up admiring the cuteness of Okada Masaki :)

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Aug 24th, '09, 13:43

There's a subbed version of ep. 1 at Viikii.net, and a partly subbed 2. They take the wikipedia approach to subbing--viewers help sub. So, if you register, you can fix problems you see or add in the tiny bit of translation you know.

Okada Masaki really is quite the cutie in this. He was a good choice for Asuka.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Aug 24th, '09, 14:04

oh thats great, viikii team is now already up to ep3 it seems :D

kayoujin

Post by kayoujin » Aug 27th, '09, 16:47

um... does anyone think that ep3 was incredibly scary? like OVER scary for a drama?! O_O||
i was pretty freaked out for most part of the episode... :cry:

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Aug 27th, '09, 20:47

where are you watching it with subs? Viikii seems to be having problems.

e u p h o r i s t i c

Post by e u p h o r i s t i c » Aug 27th, '09, 21:30

It's true. Viikkii is having problems,

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Aug 28th, '09, 15:32

I suppose Viikii was overloaded. Four is almost completely translated into English now.

kayoujin

Post by kayoujin » Aug 28th, '09, 17:25

? who are you asking about the subs?

anyway i watch mine raw, i dont think u need subs for ep 3.... the visual tells everything T_T

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Aug 29th, '09, 04:05

well, the subs help understand better. I loved ep 3 and 4. I hope 5 is out soon. :wub:

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Aug 29th, '09, 15:32

No Otomen today. There was some unexpected pre-emption, I guess, because Koji was expecting it to air. Wah! I want to see Ariake's fantasy world!

Aikawa Ringo

Post by Aikawa Ringo » Aug 29th, '09, 15:44

This dorama very very funny, esspecially episode 3,
it's kinda creepy but radiculously funny too lol... :lol
Ep 4 too, makes me laugh hehehehe

I watch it without any subs, is there anyone gonna make the softsubs?
sanjuupun dorama kedo (30 minutes drama) :cry: :cry:

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Aug 29th, '09, 19:16

Aikawa Ringo wrote:This dorama very very funny, esspecially episode 3,
it's kinda creepy but radiculously funny too lol... :lol
Ep 4 too, makes me laugh hehehehe

I watch it without any subs, is there anyone gonna make the softsubs?
sanjuupun dorama kedo (30 minutes drama) :cry: :cry:
viikii has has subs for ep4.

e u p h o r i s t i c

Post by e u p h o r i s t i c » Aug 30th, '09, 23:04

Vikkii is still having problems! :cry:
It's up on dramacrazy.net, but it's hosted on Vikkii and not anywhere else
D:

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Sep 5th, '09, 21:39

Did anyone get to see episode 5? I could kick myself for misjudging the time so I missed it on keyhole.

lailoken

Post by lailoken » Sep 6th, '09, 02:26

I cant believe that there isn't anyone doing soft subs... =(

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Sep 6th, '09, 22:41

lailoken wrote:I cant believe that there isn't anyone doing soft subs... =(
I know! But I'm so happy to even get the raws that I can't really complain. It just means I have to study Japanese harder so I have more of a clue on the dialogue while I wait for people who actually know what they are doing. So, um. Studying harder is, I suppose, a good thing?

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Sep 7th, '09, 21:27

So, what did y'all think of ep5?
Even without subtitles, Ariake's humiliation was really sad. Seto completely carried it off with his acting. I actually teared up. The uncle was sure nonchalant about Ariake laying there unconscious, though.

And Tonomine's obasan fan club was hilarious!

Poor Isono! Why isn't he dead?
Looks like ep6 will be Ryo-centric. Her character is certainly in need of some development since she's mostly just been the crush object for Asuka.

JenDaArc

Post by JenDaArc » Sep 9th, '09, 05:53

so far I enjoyed all 5 episodes of Otomen, I think Masaki Okada played the character real well..he's so cute and so is Kimura Ryo!

Anyway, yes, I also think Ryo's character needs a more development, she's supposed to be the center of attention with Asuka and yet up till now we keep seeing Asuka's relationship with his friends and surrounding. There needs to be more love development!

And looks like episode 6 gonna be yet another interesting episode!

Aikawa Ringo

Post by Aikawa Ringo » Sep 12th, '09, 15:33

I think this was a comedy drama, a bit romantically, a bit friendship, and a bit radiculously interesting :lol
I laugh a lot when their friend who was drowning come back with the stone!!!! :w00t: and they blamed sea dragon!!!
Yeah I think same way too, lack of romance scene huh? ihihihih
but I enjoy it 8)

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Sep 15th, '09, 03:27

Episode 6
Seto Koji in a kimono! Is it just me, or does he look particularly awkward in women's clothing?
I wonder what episode 7 will be? I wish there was someone translating the trailers and interviews on the official Fuji site.

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Sep 24th, '09, 04:39

Is anyone besides me watching? I know I'm not the only one, because there are an awful lot of leechers. So, take some time and say what you think!

I am liking this drama better as it goes on. It's ridiculous, yes, but the acting is quite good and the set design is often quite lush. I'm wondering, given that the manga is ongoing, if the main cast characters will be allowed any real development. At least, maybe a couple of them who are less central to the manga? What usually happens with manga-derived series?

diablorule

Post by diablorule » Oct 1st, '09, 11:35

just started watching it and Im loving it, comedy romance dramas rocks :cheers:

wmcnair370

Post by wmcnair370 » Oct 1st, '09, 13:44

I am watching it and lovin Kaho. I actually went back and watched Engine just to take a look at her acting. Definitely one of my favorite young actresses. I tried to watch Otomen on Viikii, but I can't get the subs to work, so waiting for the new fansubs.

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Oct 2nd, '09, 06:35

It really is a cute little drama. It surprises me every episode. I sure hope 8 is up soon on the torrents!

Next week, it goes to being shown on Tuesdays. It will be interesting to see if the show is changed for that and how it affects the ratings to be moved out of the late late late night spot on Saturday.

Miyoubi

Post by Miyoubi » Oct 5th, '09, 19:25

Quite a funny drama, with some outstanding performances (Masaki Okada is adorable, the teachers are hilarious), and I quite like Ryo-chan. Since the manga is popular in Japan I don't really get the low ratings, the drama's not the best out there but quite enjoyable. Same goes for the attention it's getting on the net, pretty low in my opinion.

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Oct 5th, '09, 21:19

I think the lack of net attention is due to the lag between airing and subbing. I don't mind watching comedy and action shows raw, even though I don't understand more than a handful of Japanese words, but a lot of people will only watch English translated programs. Viikii has been great as an in-between measure for speed subs, but, again, they have had a lot of trouble with their streaming, since they don't host the videos themselves. KiraKira is also great for stepping in with softsubs. I love to be able to download and hook up the video to the TV, which doesn't work so well with streaming.

As for the Japanese ratings, I long ago gave up trying to understand the Japanese ratings system or viewing habits. I think a show's success maybe has more to do with product moved than initial viewership.

wmcnair370

Post by wmcnair370 » Oct 5th, '09, 21:30

Actually Viikii got a fix, over the weekend, for the Youtube issue, so I spent yesterday watch all of Otomen that is out.

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Oct 14th, '09, 07:18

I just watched Otomen 9, the first of the fall series. I am looking forward to seeing the subs at Viikii, but even raw, it was funny, though confusing. I got a good laugh from Ariake suddenly....oh, you will just have to watch. It was really funny.

There's a lot of recovering old stuff in this ep, but it was faster paced than the summer series, so it worked OK.

s.taka

Post by s.taka » Oct 18th, '09, 02:39

Well in episode 9, at 銀-1, those three based their act or manzai on 我が家's.. though it was pretty well-made.

And also made me laugh how 柳原可奈子 or her character won the 銀-1... with her personal act that she actually does on レッドシアター and others herself.

MitsukaiKuroi

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » Oct 22nd, '09, 05:29

wmcnair370 wrote:Actually Viikii got a fix, over the weekend, for the Youtube issue, so I spent yesterday watch all of Otomen that is out.
Thank you for the heads up about Viikii! I downloaded all of the episodes but my impatience is starting to kick in while waiting for the subs. I know they are worth the wait because the ones that came out were real quality but I am dying to finish the series!!! :D

wmcnair370

Post by wmcnair370 » Oct 22nd, '09, 11:42

Sigh...sadly this is a series that is just going to take a very long time to finish, so viikii is the only choice, and even they are kind of slow.

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Oct 25th, '09, 08:01

Episode 10 (Fall 2) was funny and quite cute. I'm enjoying the extra few minutes the episodes are running now. It gives the show a better chance to develop the character interactions.