STAY AWAY
1%

Total votes: 266

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

[Discussion] Great Teacher Onizuka

Post by iceberri » Oct 1st, '04, 19:03

Talk about what you think of the drama here. ^____^ Anyone else love it as much as I did? Oh, and please refrain from spoiling by using quote tags.

Use the following tags to indicate a spoiler:
{Quote}{color=white}SPOILER HERE{/color}{/quote}
Just replace all the { }'s with corresponding [ ]'s. =)

the review for this drama can be found here: http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7924

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Oct 1st, '04, 19:30

I can't vote until i finish watching it :-( uuuuum, it's kinda boring so far...i've only seen up to episode 5. I wanted to get a 2x4 and start beating those kids asses...what a 깡패 thing to say ^^ hehehe, anyway, if someone tells me that the teacher gets a 2x4 and beats those kids I'll finish the rest, otherwise it will stay on my to watch list, and I'll finish it later. :D Some one tell me they get a whooping ^____^

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by iceberri » Oct 1st, '04, 19:42

Like I said pucca, the first half of the drama is pretty episodic -- mainly Onizuka slowly winning over his students by his sincere (and funny) actions. But near the end (last 3-4 episodes?) the storyline really picks up... though I won't spoil it for you. :mrgreen: Let's just say that I shed a tear or two.........

Disciple

Post by Disciple » Oct 1st, '04, 19:56

I liked it alot

kood
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kood » Oct 1st, '04, 21:27

Personally, I feel it's overrated and not a great drama. It took me months to finish this drama. Why? Because there's no cliffhanger or building of plot, just like others mentioned, episodic chapters that doesn't give you the urge to watch the next episode. It's repetitive with one episode at a time to save a student with stereotypical backgrounds.

GhstDreamer

Post by GhstDreamer » Oct 2nd, '04, 17:43

I think this is a really good series for newbies who only watch anime to start watching j-dramas. It's not heavy, has a lot of funny moments and not to mention Sorimachi fits the role perfectly - GTO ends up being an interesting (though not life-altering) drama. I don't think it's episodic - every episode ties in with each other to create a picture of the kind of teacher Onizuka is and who the audience can identify with.

Though I don't think GTO makes my top 5 favourite jdramas - it's still very worthwhile to watch.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr » Oct 2nd, '04, 17:45

Life-altering if you ask me. ...Well, maybe not so much, but it was incredibly good. The students were kind of like the kids in Breakfast Club; that they were archetypes of characters that might seem clichéd can be expected as it's how the drama tells its story.

It may be episodic, but that's not necessarily a bad thing--especially if you don't have time to watch episodes regularly. It got me to definitely want to see the next episode every time... too many cliffhangers can get on my nerves. These are my tastes, however.

Best lines of dialogue has to be when GTO rescues .... I can't remember the lead female character's name. Anywho, when GTO tosses her in the fountain... the dialogue around that has to be the best I've heard. KF

crazylazy_chief

Post by crazylazy_chief » Oct 2nd, '04, 18:00

the lead female character was nanako, his wife..... i really liked the series, especially the students.....this series was really funny, and the main actor was hilarious... the plot was really good....everything about this series is pretty good. :)

keikotl

Post by keikotl » Oct 3rd, '04, 12:45

This series is cool! I didn't enjoy that much of the anime version and wasn't thinking of watching the live action one either, but when I finished watching the first episode, it got me hooked up to this series because it was so funny. :D i enjoyed every story that was in it. One of the parts actually made me come to tears.

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Oct 3rd, '04, 13:18

puccakiss79 wrote:I can't vote until i finish watching it :-( uuuuum, it's kinda boring so far...i've only seen up to episode 5. I wanted to get a 2x4 and start beating those kids asses...what a 깡패 thing to say ^^ hehehe, anyway, if someone tells me that the teacher gets a 2x4 and beats those kids I'll finish the rest, otherwise it will stay on my to watch list, and I'll finish it later. :D Some one tell me they get a whooping ^____^
no way! really, you find it that boring. i truly loved this show. mind you, i watched the anime 1st before so i knew how the story played out. never even knew there was a live action series. been on live action ever since 8)

i would rate it 11 out of 10

edit. forgot to say its Life-altering. a big deffo (i wish i had a techer like that when i was at school :cry:

sifr

Post by sifr » Oct 11th, '04, 09:23

Life-altering.

I can't compare it to other J-dramas, since GTO is the only one I've seen in its entirety. But it's an awesome series that is one of the most touching and inspiring shows I've seen in any medium. There are a ton of good messages in it, and Onizuka is the kind of teacher I sort of wish I had: a selfless teacher that works to bring out the best in his students, unflinchingly doing what he can to help them. It's thrilling to watch him affect the people around him with his passion, and to think how much effect we can have on the people around us with our own attitude towards life if we only have the dedication to live without fear of standing up for our beliefs.

Truly inspiring stuff.
keikotl wrote:One of the parts actually made me come to tears.
I know what you mean. The episodes involving Toroko ("Ditzy") bring me to tears every time I watch them, without fail, and I've seen the series three times now.

Heh heh... the last time, I watched the series with my mother. We even got my dad to watch it with us; he kind of got sucked in. And there were quite a few parts during the series where we were all wiping at our eyes a little. It's not a tear-jerker in the traditional sense, but it's certainly moving enough in places - enough to make me cry, at least.

geoffropuff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by geoffropuff » Oct 11th, '04, 10:28

i've seen my fair share of japanese dramas, 32 and counting, and it is still my favorite show. it was only the 2nd drama i saw, but its withstood all the other ones. i will be doing my own review of this show sometime in the near future.

is2hyolee

Post by is2hyolee » Oct 12th, '04, 13:40

... i love this drama, so funny ...

xiaryx
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by xiaryx » Oct 14th, '04, 05:31

It is a great drama, but not one of the must see series. However, because of its enormous popularity, any serious jdrama fan might probably not want to miss it. It was my first jdrama, and the way Onizuka behaves weirded me out at first. At one point, I was so scared that that might be the way how most Japanese acts. It is not life altering, but Onizuka did teach me some lessons about life in general. Very educational.

Slackey

Post by Slackey » Oct 14th, '04, 09:05

This show has its funny and touching moments I have to admit but I didn't think it was that great. I didn't mind that the show was episodic, but must the kids be that cliche. You have the outcast everyone picks on, the bad boy/girl who's in charge of everything, etc. However, I enjoyed the fact that for once they didn't portray the computer genuis as a nerd. Also, up until the the last couple of episodes, I wasn't too anxious to watch the next episodes. Maybe it's the fact that the episodes are episodic, maybe it's because my hopes were to high for this drama. I don't know. Still, for the simple fact that this show is so popular that any jdrama fan should watch it to see what everyone is talking about, its a "probably shouldn't miss."

Akiramike
Fansubber
Fansubber
Australia

Post by Akiramike » Oct 18th, '04, 15:32

One of the best dramas ever. Best show to introduce gauge whether my anime friends can get into dramas. I watched it 3 times and I still love it. Its the 1st jdrama I ever watched and started me on a now 2 years addiction to jdrama. :)

Yashiro

Post by Yashiro » Oct 21st, '04, 06:09

My favorite Drama . I saw all the episodes and the movie . Great Teacher Onizuka powa ! :w00t:

sifr

Post by sifr » Oct 21st, '04, 06:22

xiaryx wrote:It was my first jdrama, and the way Onizuka behaves weirded me out at first.
:lol Understandable. It didn't freak me out so much because I saw the anime before I saw the drama, and the anime Onizuka acts about ten times more insane and about ten times more idiotic. So in comparison, I thought the drama Onizuka was actually normal!

Onizuka is bizarre in any incarnation, but at least in the drama his weirdness is plausible.

:P

miendrifterx

Post by miendrifterx » Oct 21st, '04, 06:45

i think this is a must see for all j-drama fan. i really liked it a lot. one of my favorite drama.

monkeytheleo

Post by monkeytheleo » Oct 21st, '04, 07:06

GhstDreamer wrote:I think this is a really good series for newbies who only watch anime to start watching j-dramas. It's not heavy, has a lot of funny moments and not to mention Sorimachi fits the role perfectly - GTO ends up being an interesting (though not life-altering) drama. I don't think it's episodic - every episode ties in with each other to create a picture of the kind of teacher Onizuka is and who the audience can identify with.

Though I don't think GTO makes my top 5 favourite jdramas - it's still very worthwhile to watch.
Dude, you are soooo right . . . I personally came from the world of anime, was looking for the "Live Action" of GTO, found it JTV, then was hooked onto doramas. I, however, voted that it was a life-altering drama - hey go figure, I'm averaging an episode a day, and that's a conservative estimate. I don't even watch animes anymore. Hey, seriously, its better to look at real lilve hot action J-Chicas than to watch the 'big-eyed' ones in the anime. After watching GTO, I fell in love with Matsushima Nanako. Then guess what??? I then watched Yamato Nadeshiko (courtesy of JEM) and fell in love with her even more . . . If I were to marry a J-Chick, my ideal one would be her . . . thus my reason for this life-altering drama.

*Side Note: After watching Bijin Ka Yajuu (Beauty or Beast) I was a little turned off by her. She seemed to have a aged a bit, lookiing like she might have gotten plastic surgery (*cough* - Nakayama Miho). But it's all good - we still have Takeuchi Yuko :P

nxi4

must see

Post by nxi4 » Oct 22nd, '04, 15:55

the thing about downloading a drama is that you dont have to wait until the next week to see the next installment. judging by my watching speed, i watched 6 episodes of GTO in one day (ok i really had nothing to do that day!) but i guess that shows that i really liked it.

perhaps not my favourite, but definetly up there in top 5!

skyone

Post by skyone » Oct 27th, '04, 15:31

This drama is so funny, not exactly like the anime but Nanako is so beautiful :roll

pankanshe

Post by pankanshe » Nov 21st, '04, 17:46

This drama wass a milestone in my life. I became a "d-addict." :D

visikat

Post by visikat » Nov 24th, '04, 06:22

G.T.O and Summer Snow are probably two of the best J-dramas ever!!! :D

ronniek524

GTO= Drama Addiction

Post by ronniek524 » Dec 2nd, '04, 00:56

I watched the movie first- -i thought it was ok, but after i watched the dramas- that was it! I can't stop dl'ing... GTO was the best drama I watched... since then, I tried looking for other teacher dramas, and found GOKUSEN, but its taking so much time to see the episodes being released in english

I RATE GTO----the best Drama to have

kendo_bc

Post by kendo_bc » Dec 2nd, '04, 04:14

The series I enjoyed, I watched it from start to finish in one sitting. That was a couple days ago, last night I watched the special. I must say I was disappointed in it, the story was very bland and the characters were shoddy, even Onizuka, he didn't seem himself till closer to the the end. I had to force myself to finish watching it, even the ending was a little bit of a let down.

Now, I may be a Gaijin but I am able to get 99.9% of the story in jdoramas but the fathers sudden switch to approval at the end had me scratching my head a little...I have a small idea why he changed but there was no supporting indication of it except for his expression after the wedding scene.

I then watched the movie, which I must say was better than the special, I was concerned how it was going to be without any of the other characters except Onizuka but I did enjoy it. It was good to see Natsuyagi-san in the movie, I liked him as the father in Shota, he has a very distinctive face.

So...

Series: Very Good
Special: Not so good
Movie: Good

Matta ne,

KendoBC

delsxyz

my rating is this way

Post by delsxyz » Dec 2nd, '04, 05:48

GTO
#1 -- Manga/Comic books
--which I can't.

#2 -- Anime
--Excellent

#3 - Drama/Special/Movie
--Worst of 3. Shouldn't have made comic books into
a live drama.

If you think the Drama is good, watch anime. You will change
your mind immediately. Voice actors are much better than
live actors in this case.
=============================================
Gokusen
#1 -- Drama/Sepcial
-Excellent

#2 or #3 ---Anime/Comic books
Not so great compared to Drama.

=============================================

NatNat

Post by NatNat » Dec 2nd, '04, 06:27

It's rather difficult for me to review Asian dramas because of the level of depth (or rather, lack there of) involved and Great Teacher Onizuka is no exception. Dramas are Extremely Escapist and are to be enjoyed by just enjoying the ride. Great Teacher Onizuka was like riding Pirates of the Carribean for the first time. Ha, assuming you've all been to Disneyland! Anyway, the two are alike because you see that it's old, cheesy and the thrills come up short but the end you look back and smile because you were still dazzled by the characters involved and laughed as you went down the first drop. Hell, you know you even sang the songs as you went along.

Great Teacher Onizuka is worth your time but I don't think I'd say ANY asian drama would be deemed life altering.

donna8157

Post by donna8157 » Dec 11th, '04, 04:30

This was the first JDorama I had ever watched and enjoyed it so much! The characters were great and Sorimachi Takeshi did a superb job as Eikichi Onizuka. :lol

Anyway, I voted this as life-altering because now I am a big jdrama addict thanks to this show. :P

thetenken
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by thetenken » Dec 11th, '04, 04:38

NatNat wrote:It's rather difficult for me to review Asian dramas because of the level of depth (or rather, lack there of) involved and Great Teacher Onizuka is no exception.

Great Teacher Onizuka is worth your time but I don't think I'd say ANY asian drama would be deemed life altering.
You're probably not watching the right dramas, then. Lots of great dramas that can be life-altering, maybe not in a holistic sense, but gets you to think about things in a different way...

@delsxyz:

GTO
#1 -- Manga/Comic books
You can get English version from Tokyopop. The craziest and most funny stuff.

#2 -- Anime
I disagree here, I couldn't make it through it. Onizuka's voice is all wrong, and the quality of the show was way down. Too similar to the manga that the inconsistencies rang out loudly.

#3 - Drama/Special/Movie
Watchable, because it was in a totally different vein than the manga and anime. But overall not that great of a series.

NatNat

Post by NatNat » Dec 13th, '04, 09:21

thetenken wrote:
You're probably not watching the right dramas, then. Lots of great dramas that can be life-altering, maybe not in a holistic sense, but gets you to think about things in a different way...
give me some examples of these Life Altering dramas. I'll watch them and then see if I change my tune...

zaza_tk87

Post by zaza_tk87 » Dec 13th, '04, 09:27

definitely a good one.. but i'm quite dissapointed with the last ep. why? I dunno, I just don't feel the satisfaction watching the last eppy..

dmorgan

Post by dmorgan » Jan 9th, '05, 06:31

I highly recommend GTO. The story will keep you glued. The characters are well developed. I loved it all the way through. If you loved it as much as I did, you will want to watch the special and movie. There are some great parts but overall I am sure that you will agree that they are a let down. I was dissapointed that they didn't do something more with the Onizuka character in both the special and the movie. The continuity is quite bad actually. Take them for what they are. The special and the movie are tangent side-stories.

Enjoy! I sure did. :wub:

JadedAngel

Post by JadedAngel » Jan 9th, '05, 06:37

zaza_tk87 wrote:definitely a good one.. but i'm quite dissapointed with the last ep. why? I dunno, I just don't feel the satisfaction watching the last eppy..
I agree! It was like they built the whole thing up so much, I was expecting more of an explosive ending, but the end it just fizzled out.

ryo2501

Post by ryo2501 » Jan 12th, '05, 10:18

GTO rulez!
It is the first Dorama i`ve ever see! :tv:
Without this Series I don`t no what I missed ....

Olga_2005

Post by Olga_2005 » Jan 15th, '05, 00:01

You know how there are some shows where you just watch it while you have some free time, and some shows that you feel that if you won't watch all the episodes at once you'll go crazy out of your mind? Well, I think that GTO is one of those "If I won't watch all the episodes at once I'll go out of my mind" shows :roll

jesse

Where to find

Post by jesse » Jan 17th, '05, 02:56

I must just be looking in the wrong places, but I can't seem to find the torrent for GTO, either here or on JEM...

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Where to find

Post by iceberri » Jan 17th, '05, 03:58

jesse wrote:I must just be looking in the wrong places, but I can't seem to find the torrent for GTO, either here or on JEM...
The torrents for GTO are at JTV. They're fansubbed. ^_^

jesse

Post by jesse » Jan 17th, '05, 11:40

Thank you!

ceppy

Post by ceppy » Jan 29th, '05, 12:57

have funny moments, crying moments, and impossible situations moments.

Bk_forever

Post by Bk_forever » Feb 3rd, '05, 10:10

What a drama
couldn't choose a better actor for the teacher onizuka

sillypanda114
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by sillypanda114 » Feb 6th, '05, 01:35

i absolutely loved gto. xP it was really really good. the acting was just amazing. it was so touching and funny. :) basically you gotta see this.

LordGus

Post by LordGus » Feb 10th, '05, 19:25

I liked this series. However, as someone already wrote, the anime is much better. I don't know why some people disliked the voice actor who did Onizuka's voice. I thought he was brilliant. :D

baka_neko

Post by baka_neko » Feb 12th, '05, 06:45

zaza_tk87 wrote:definitely a good one.. but i'm quite dissapointed with the last ep. why? I dunno, I just don't feel the satisfaction watching the last eppy..
oooh i agree.
the development was great! ots of laughter and a few teary moments...

the ending so 'less'than what was expected.... it didnt feel liek an ending for that matter...
:|

lilpanda01

Post by lilpanda01 » Feb 12th, '05, 11:26

hmmm... i'll admit this drama was funny, but it lacked a certain continuity in the storyline to the point of every episode almost being a standalone. i love it when stories use multiple incidences in order to pull together the overall point that the writer is attempting to convey or question, but in this case, it just feels like random lessons in "the right thing to do" while stating "see, onizuka IS a good teacher". there was a lack of complexity in that almost every episode concluded with onizuka saving the day as once again another student came to admire him. i wouldn't say it's a bad drama, since i did find it fun to watch, but i suppose it's rather a let down after the numerous rave reviews that i've seen for it.

kali4niaguy

Post by kali4niaguy » Feb 12th, '05, 11:50

i just watched GTO a couple of weeks ago, i wouldn't say it's life altering, but it's definitely worth watching. i should try to find the anime and manga to see what the differences r. now i'm just waiting for the subbed release of Gokusen. :-)

in-sung

Post by in-sung » Feb 12th, '05, 12:00

definitely my favorite J-Drama of all time

xKiMix
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by xKiMix » Feb 12th, '05, 12:53

I'm also waiting for Gokusen!!! I love that drama!! But i think GTO is good too, i still have 3 more episodes to watch :D

marit
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by marit » Feb 12th, '05, 16:41

for me GTO wasn`t life altering although it was pretty good..It just seemed that there was something missing.. and if I have to choose between GTO or Gokusen I would pick the last one

Jelithe

Post by Jelithe » Feb 12th, '05, 23:01

I think it's a great drama (epecially with Sorimachi :))

ceppy

GTO

Post by ceppy » Feb 21st, '05, 02:59

GTO has its many funny moments, touching moments, corny moments...Its great but not exactly life altering for me. My girfriend here says the anime is even funnier, maybe i'll watch that next!

JadedAngel

Post by JadedAngel » Feb 21st, '05, 03:15

:lol Not life altering, but definitely wirth watching! Though some parts needed abit of work, overall this show was hilarious, and Sorimachi was perfect for the role.

hsuuperman

Post by hsuuperman » Feb 25th, '05, 21:20

I just spent an entire day watching episodes from 1 - 12 and the special all in one sitting. Quite easily the best drama I've ever seen. Onizuka's facial expressions in throughout the series has got to be some of the funniest I've seen. Yes, I suppose some of the students are a bit stereotypical, but in a way stereotypes exist b/c they are true to an extent, so I actually rather liked that the students had some characterisitcs that a lot of students can understand.

This drama's seriously reminded me all over again why I want to become a teacher one day. That last scene in eps 11 was a serious tear jerker :cry:

zahiri

Post by zahiri » Feb 25th, '05, 21:48

one damn good drama series...though i kind of wonder why at the beginning of the show , it played a soundtrack of Beach Boys? Is it related? life altering no , but the anime Really is LIFE ALTERING.

zahiri

Post by zahiri » Feb 25th, '05, 21:51

And the Manga... GOD SENT!!!

BokuWaShinigami

Post by BokuWaShinigami » Feb 27th, '05, 16:37

Actually...I've never seen GTO live action and I was in this thread just to see what people thought of it! ^_____^ It sounds really interesting! I think I'll check it out! =) <3

I've read bits and pieces of the manga...which is hilarious...and I also own the entire GTO anime on DVD...so judging by that...I think 'd like to give this a shot! =)

YAY! THANKS EVERYONE! <3 :D

Su

Post by Su » Mar 2nd, '05, 07:49

:wub: :wub: :wub: I began to like ( or love :mrgreen: ) Sorimachi when i saw this drama Gerat Teacher Onizuka ! :lol The manga is very great, same goes for the anime version and the drama version is very good. BANZAI GTO :lol :lol :lol

LGP1520

Post by LGP1520 » Mar 8th, '05, 20:54

So what is the ending on the special? Just that he's about to propose and then he receives a phone call telling him to go to Hokkaido? Seems kind of inconclusive.

Tekuza

Post by Tekuza » Mar 8th, '05, 21:02

Personally not as good as the anime but have to say gerat transition from the anime i just enjoyed the acting of the series quick sum up but i wish it could've had more story from the anime and stretched out more :D

sdsviet

request

Post by sdsviet » Mar 16th, '05, 04:05

hey guys i loved this series and im trying to make dvds out of hte episodes, can u guys help find some sites with good quality pics and or wallpapers. thanks

sdsviet

request

Post by sdsviet » Mar 16th, '05, 04:12

hey guys i loved this series and im trying to make dvds out of hte episodes, can u guys help find some sites with good quality pics and or wallpapers. thanks

Mr G

Post by Mr G » Mar 26th, '05, 02:11

I liked it alot even though I've only seen 5 series so far. It was the first j-drama I saw, and it's very entertaining. I liked the characters especially Onizuka and Kikuchi. It had a little bit of everything and it kept me laughing. I would suggest to anyone looking for a laugh.

JapanSuki

Post by JapanSuki » Jun 6th, '05, 06:44

I've got all episodes and special+movie. Now I'm wondering in what order I should watch it. Can someone shed some light onegai shimasu? ^_^
edit:
nevermind, already found the answer on AnimeSuki forums...
drama
special
movie

delsxyz

Info for Newsgroup user only: ( June 07,2005)

Post by delsxyz » Jun 8th, '05, 01:57

Info for Newsgroup user only:

Go to ab.DVD.asian and find headers like
(Omni)[Alias]Rena Tanaka is cute [002/147] - "[Alias]GTO_JR2_DVD9.part001.rar" yEnc

Nfo copy and paste
GTO - Great Teacher Onizuka - Live Action
7,149,810KB
Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000A7ZZT/
Rena Tanaka official site: http://www.tanakarena.co.jp/
Some scan site http://www.scancoo.com/Enya2_Rena_Tanaka/

R2
ISO / MDS (DVDDecrypter)
Japanese
English subs
Japanese subs
AC3 5.1
24 chapters
Cast:
Takashi Sorimachi .... Eikichi Onizuka
Rena Tanaka .... Ayano Katsuragi
Hideyuki Kasahara .... Raku

apples

Post by apples » Jun 8th, '05, 09:10

It's not really my favorite but I still voted for life-altering. There's just some really nice things or lessons you can get out of it. It makes one think and reflect on himself. So yeah, I guess it's pretty good in that way. But Onizuka seemed too unreal to me most of the time, except when he's actually making sense. Still, it's entertaining. Definitely a must watch.

mrtoki

Post by mrtoki » Jun 10th, '05, 07:46

I think this series is way overrated. It's a good series, but to have it #1 on jdorama.com? The GTO anime is my favorite anime series, and watching the jdrama after it was kind of disappointing. The anime is so much funnier. I'd still recommend it to people to watch though as it is entertaining.

spaceterrapin

Post by spaceterrapin » Jun 13th, '05, 10:45

I found that the live action had a much slower start compared to the anime and manga, but Takeshi Sorimachi was truly amazing as Onizuka. When I first started watching it, all I heard from people was that Sorimachi couldn't be the true Onizuka because he hadn't bleached his hair, this was never a problem to me, other Onizuka aspects really rang out in him.
Not as great as the manga, but still really worth watching. Once I started taking the live action for the live action itself and not comparing it to the anime or manga I completely adored it.
I think my only criticism was the character change of Saejima, I don't think the proper Saejima is tv slot friendly ^_-
On the whole really great, definitely go and watch it if you haven't already.

alyussium

Post by alyussium » Jun 13th, '05, 11:06

Hummm... Best drama ever for me ^^. I've seen a lot of so boring drama (well, just the first episodes often). But, with GTO, I wanted to see the rest of the serie just after I watched the 1rst one ^^.

You must watch GTO ^^.

stan culay

Post by stan culay » Jul 27th, '05, 18:47

Hi Folks,
I have downloaded the batch of GTO, but i' puzzled about what to watch first. I guess i should watch the serie first, then special then the movie. Is it what you recommend?
Thank you!

Romance

Post by Romance » Jul 27th, '05, 19:05

series first, the movie and the special are actually really bad compared to the series

kyosak

Post by kyosak » Jul 27th, '05, 20:18

Romance wrote:series first, the movie and the special are actually really bad compared to the series
They're just bad in general IMO. :mrgreen:

Lowest

Post by Lowest » Jul 28th, '05, 01:16

I saw the series which rules.. then went and watched the special which sucked.. the main characters only made like a guest appearance and haven't really been bothered enough to watch the movie yet since it'll be just like the special. :glare:

apples

Post by apples » Jul 28th, '05, 01:23

Lowest wrote:I saw the series which rules.. then went and watched the special which sucked.. the main characters only made like a guest appearance and haven't really been bothered enough to watch the movie yet since it'll be just like the special. :glare:
same here. i watched a few minutes of the movie, but then i gave up because most of the cast were new.. and it'll probably copy off from the series.

spaceterrapin

Post by spaceterrapin » Jul 29th, '05, 21:34

It's true that the special really wasn't as good as the series, but I'm half way through the movie (my DVD player took a funny turn in the middle, so I've had to download it,) and whilst initially not liking the look of things, I've actually been enjoying it.
The cast are different, but then, that's not a horrendous drawback, and thankfully it seems not to be copying the series. Students have attempted to copy behaviour from students in the series, but Onizuka knows how to deal with things, and thus it moves it on, rather then dwell on the same issues. And Onizuka is still amazingly cool. <3<3<3

Watch the series first... it's very different from the manga, which I adore, so I wasn't so sure about it at first, but it grew on me, fast.

cerberus

Post by cerberus » Dec 15th, '05, 18:17

LGP1520 wrote:So what is the ending on the special? Just that he's about to propose and then he receives a phone call telling him to go to Hokkaido? Seems kind of inconclusive.
Yeah, I just finished watching the entire series and the "special" and was rather confused as to the ending of the special... Didn't really seem overly clear but because the whole special was rather rubbish, I dont care too much.

That was my only critism of the series - I found myself wondering what was going on, or whether or not what had happened was very likely!
Like the bit where Onizuka rescues the two students from the themepark place, how did he know where they were cause he didn't answer the phone when Murai called the woman?
And how did he get stabbed? Surely someone would have noticed whilst he was sat down at the desk, if Todou had crept up behind him and plunged a knife into his back - or if he had stabbed onizuka when they were fighting, wouldn't he have dripped blood all around the school when he walked in to do the test?
Minor points, I know, but still confused me, and stole some of my "suspense of disbelief"
On the whole though, I enjoyed GTO a lot, and as I haven't seen the anime, or read the manga, i'm not dissapointed due to comparing it to anything. As a stand alone series, it had happy bits, sad bits, bits that even thinkin about them now make me a little sad....
:cry:

So not life-altering, but definitely worth watching...

As for onizukas general personna, it kinda weirded me out as well, but that was his character. It probably wouldn't have hurt his character to be a little bit more normal, and less like a manga character, but that just added to its strange comedy...

9 / 10