The Great Random Tokusatsu Thread

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
XrayZ

The Great Random Tokusatsu Thread

Post by XrayZ » Dec 23rd, '09, 02:26

We get tokusatsu shows showing up on D-Addicts from time to time (or borderline toku), from Fuuma no Kojiro to Kodai Shoujo Dogu-chan.... so hey, why not have a random toku thread?

My favourite tokusatsu shows, in no particular order, would be Cutie Honey THE LIVE, Garo, Sh15uya, Keitai Sousakan 7, Kamen Rider Black and Kamen Rider Kiva. And of course Bishojo Senshi Sailor Moon!

I never watched Power Rangers as a kid (too old, lol!) so I never watched much Sentai (I like the plot and characters of Chojuu Sentai Liveman, but the battles are too formulaic!). I also watched some Ultraman, but somehow the giant-ness of all the combatants makes it less exciting... the complete opposite of Godzilla flicks!

Godzilla was my first tokusatsu revelation... the old-school classics from the 70s, preferably with King Ghidora and Mothra (and the Peanuts!)...

So... how about you? Fave shows? First toku? Top franchise or era? Do you love or hate Power Rangers? (Keep it civil, lol!) Would you class yourself as more a drama or toku fan?

Drama watchers - why so snobby about toku and period dramas? Lol, that's an over statement, but you know what I mean...

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Dec 24th, '09, 04:37

I quite like toku. Most of my favorite dorama actors were toku actors. And I love the suit acting. How many actors, with their features completely covered, can show that, while their character just pulverized a baddy, they were very sorry to have to do it. Or exceptionally happy? And Kiva, of course, was a dorama with Rider Kicks thrown in for the boys. The love triangles, the angsting, the bath scenes, the family conflicts....dorama all the way!

Hated Decade because of its lack of a story line, but I'm loving Shinkenger and W, despite the silly battle scenes. Shinkenger has been amazingly dark for a sentai show, and the characters are well-written. W is so far an entertaining homage to classic American detective novels.

Well, now I feel like watching Seto Koji sulk in a bathtub again. Laters.

XrayZ

Post by XrayZ » Dec 24th, '09, 20:26

Agreed about suit actors! Kiva was great for that - even some of the big monster battles had distinct romantic subplot connections! It's true us boys love the Rider Kick, but hey we love romance too! Especially when it features Haga Yuria...

When it comes to Decade and W you said the same as me and my daughter, in fact the Shikenger crossover was one of the few cool bits in Decade. I'm tempted to watch it.... tell me more lullabye.... does it have babes? What are the fights like? And is the plot coherent as well as dark....?

Lol, Seto Koji's bath scenes . . . i forgot about that! Have you seen him in Happy Boys? Funny show, but i kept thinking it was about to break out into boy-on-boy action....

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Dec 24th, '09, 21:47

Shinkenger--the sentai team is made up of 5 young people (plus one, introduced later) who inherited their roles and didn't particularly want to do them. But, tradition, family honor, the world in peril.... Well, the first part of the series mostly deals with them coming to grips with the sudden change in life plans they face.

The villains are really fleshed out well as individual characters. They range from dangerous to humanity because of what they are, to purely evil because of what they choose. And if you remember Faiz, you will see a familiar face.

Japanese traditions are heavily referenced throughout, from stagecraft to bushido to calligraphy to the feudal system.

The toy sales push moments are hilariously over the top and serve to lighten the mood of the fights. The acrobatics of the fights just before the giant robots are assembled is always excellent and entertaining, and the giant robot toys fights are entertaining in a completely different way.

The plot has so far held together amazingly well. If you took out the silly weapons and robots, you'd be left with an heroic supernatural fantasy.

Oh. Babes. Yes. Pink is a young adult and Yellow maybe high-school freshman age. There's no fan service, but there are hints of romantic possibilities. There's also the traditional toku ho-yay.

I have watched Happy Boys. It is a really sweet little show. That pastry chef was something else! I liked the way the new boys recoiled from him at first but soon came to just accept him (and his relationship with the manager) as nonremarkable and even positive. The boys themselves could not have been more squeaky clean. Or dorky.

XrayZ

Post by XrayZ » Dec 24th, '09, 22:09

OK i'm gonna d/l the first couple eps... you convinced me!

Good villains make for a good show. Which is why anything with Mark Murakami rules.

And i like what you said about "if you take out the silly weapons & robots".... that's why i love Kiva, cause if you minus all the toku-ness it's like some Arthurian saga with added vampirism!

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Dec 25th, '09, 08:32

Mark Murakami is god. Well, if god was going to personally kick your ass, with Style.

I think, definitely, if you liked Kiva, you will enjoy Shinkenger.