[Discussion] Mother

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
hey9

Post by hey9 » Jul 26th, '10, 06:16

kimutaku144 wrote:I just start watching it and purposely wait to watch this until all subs available :D I only wish I'm in my holiday so I can watch it straight hehehehehee...

I haven't read all the comments because I don't want to get spoiler.

thanks to Chuks and his/her team for the subs.
I would not recommend watching this drama straight lol. I watched the last two episodes together, and my eyes HURT because I was crying so much. Watching 11 straight might make your eyeballs fall out of your head.

Like you guys have said, it's impossible not to cry watching this drama. For me, Nao's bio mom being born in 1954 made me bawl, just because my mom was born that year and she actually kinda looks like her.
When Tsugumi phoned Nao and she sounded so happy talking about her group home, and then she suddenly asked when Nao was picking her up...gah. It totally caught me off guard. That girl seriously needs an Oscar.

H a n a

Post by H a n a » Jul 26th, '10, 23:31

I really loved the story of this drama
its really touching :cry: :cry:

btw..is there an OST for this drama ?
I'am checking for it everyday
but I still don't find :-(

and it would be nice to make an SP for this drama
that hold the events from Tsugomi being 20 years old and meets Suzuhara nao
it would be great if they used one of AKB48 girls to cast as 20 years old tsugomi !!
Is that Right

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Jul 27th, '10, 14:30

I think it was a nice drama.... but I didn't cry over it. I just didn't personally think any of the scenes were cryable. Actually, I was comparing the situation if it happened where I'm from (US) and how the situation would be quite different. (I do this with certain dramas I watch because I like seeing stuff happen in a different culture and it can kinda help me.... be grateful with my own or wish some things were different with my own) I feel bad they didn't take Rena sooner from her mom sooner.

Actually what made like this drama was just the whole "Mother" in general. Not about Nao kidnapping Rena because of her abuse and Nao's personal own experience but actually being a mother from different perspectives. There was a soon-to-be mother (who didn't know at first if she should still be one) a mother of a grown adopted daughter with the interactions of her own children, a mother of a adopted/kidnapped child, a mother who only raised her daughter for like.... the first 5 years of her life and reuniting with her again, a single mother (though i hate how her story has to be like... it was so rough because she had no husband thing and I hate when stories have to incorporate that because I know plenty of people (me included) who grew up with one barely in their lives, or not really at all and a mother wasn't going to commit suicide or the child was just so difficult or some other sad scenario issue thingy. Life can be just as bad/hard with bot parents too and even more difficult but I'm rambling now lol) and I guess kinda being a grandmother.

I think the show was about being a mother from different standpoints and being a biological mother or not doesn't affect the love you have for your child. And I guess the things mothers will do out of certain emotions. But yeah... it was nice. I think something for mothers AND daughters to watch... not just really for adults but I think kids alike.

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Jul 27th, '10, 14:39

H a n a wrote:it would be nice to make an SP for this drama
I think an SP would be absolutely pointless without Ashida Mana as Tsugumi and Tanaka Yuko as Ukkari-san, because Mother wouldn't have been the drama that it is without them.
Even if it's to feature Tsugumi as a 20yr old, I can't think of anyone who can meet the expectation that Ashida Mana set as a <s>seven</s> 5yr old.

Anyway, you can find the OST here.

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » Jul 27th, '10, 16:12

I also don't see the sense in a special or a continuation in any form. The end was pretty clear and it was a good ending. More of it would ruin the whole drama. (Especially with new actresses as mentioned)
Chuks wrote:
MaiKitty wrote:
Even though it was sad, I wanted them to stay together no matter what, but I LOVE the realistic ending more. It is just so much more heart breaking but still so positive.
I think I never cried so much watching any drama. There were only 2 episodes where I didn't have tears in my eyes and for 11 I bawled my eyes out. So for me the only drama that can compare to Mother is Aishiteru. When I think about it, nothing moves as much as Mother/Child and family stories. Thinking about the mentioned Sekai no Chuushin de Ai wo Sakebu or 1 Litre of Tears or Mioka, they just don't compare, because, imho, they're very predictable and from moment one they scream at you "I'm a sad, sad drama. Go on, cry!" I didn't shed 1 single tear through 1 Litre of Tears, it didn't move me at all. All these stories just don't compare to a drama like Mother and the wonderful acting. (I enjoyed Sekai no Chuushin de Ai wo Sakebu, though. But for me Byakuyako is much better)!
I agree with you on pretty much everything.
I totally understand what you mean by "they scream at you "I'm a sad, sad drama. Go on, cry!" " and Mother didn't go too dramatic. The dialogs were simple,
yet deep, and their acting was so natural. The screenwriter didn't write Nao nor Tsugumi as heroines of tragedy, and that's why we could sympathize with them.
The drama was realistic till the end.
(I also liked Byakuyako better than Sekai.)
Yes, I really enjoyed that mother was never predictable, the acting was subtle and especially little Rena/Tsugumi. Wow. And whoever decided that a 5 year old would be able to do that, what a risk! And she played an 8 year old, isn't it normally the other way around? (Like 30 year olds playing high school students)

@«minah»
You didn't shed a single tear? :blink I admit it also depends on my mood, but I couldn't stop crying. And what you described is exactly what made it so moving for me, the whole Mother theme, the different mothers and what it actually means to be a mother. I really liked this quote of Miss Forgetfuls old pal. Like that there are 3 kinds of people in the world, man, woman and a mother.

I wrote it before, and I don't want to say anything against the male fans or guys that like Mother as a drama, but this drama was essentially a female drama, touching deep emotional ground within' girls and woman especially. Someone was complaining that there wasn't any important male character, but I think it was one of the dramas strengths, there are enough "romance" dramas or dramas that have their focus on men.

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Jul 27th, '10, 17:04

MaiKitty wrote:this drama was essentially a female drama, touching deep emotional ground within' girls and woman especially.
I will admit that there are certain levels that can only be appreciated by women, especially mothers.
But having watched everything (twice or so), I will say that the male audience shouldn't feel left out (at all) even if there are such elements in the show.
And that he's really missing the point if chooses to do so because of that.
MaiKitty wrote:Someone was complaining that there wasn't any important male character.
I personally thought the reporter guy was anything but unimportant. I mean, if you recall in episode 7(09:04) where Mrs Suzuhara said that "every family needs a father, even if it's not a good one."
It was interesting that she said that because there really isn't a fatherly(husband) figure attached to her or any of the other 3 "main" mothers, Nao, Michiki Hitomi and Mochizuki Hana at that point in the story.
And strangely enough, Fujiyoshi Shunsuke was, in an abstract but broader sense, filling that "male" role and giving them sound advice along the way as a reporter.
Which is great and not to mention unique as a drama character too.

(Edited for clarity.)
Last edited by chokubi on Jul 28th, '10, 03:18, edited 1 time in total.

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » Jul 27th, '10, 17:41

Of course, it is a drama for everyone not just females. I didn't want to imply that, and it's kind of hard to describe what I mean. I don't want to dismiss males in anyway and to become a mother you need a man. To have a father is very important to a child! I just felt that, for me, there were some certain points that really struck a chord in me which I doubt I would have felt if I was male. I really have a problem to describe properly what I mean here, sorry.

And I also didn't think the reporter was unimportant, he had his part in the whole story, but I'm happy that there wasn't any romance aspect or something in it at all.

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Jul 27th, '10, 18:07

See... I don't agree with the whole "needing a father" thing because well, my father was in and out of my life (I don't even call him dad or anything....) and you know, I'm fine without him being there anyway. He didn't really do much for me in my life (I use to cry when Sundays came around... I had to visit him lol) I didn't have much of a father figure in my life, and when my mom re-remarried (I was like.... 19) I didn't really need one now either or someone trying to be a father. So yeah... with that being said, I'm not upset or anything that it didn't have many males in the show. I just don't think a family will be in utter chaos without a man around (so I wasn't exactly happy with Rena's mother episode about how she use to be in the past) But that's my opinion. I just think it's overrated when people think that a child needs a father in their life...

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » Jul 27th, '10, 18:23

I know what you mean. Although I don't want to dismiss the important role a father plays in a human beings life it can hardly compare to the bond between mother and child. It's really fragile ground we're walking on here and I certainly don't want to hurt anyones feelings with this but it still shows in this drama and worldwide that it is almost always the father that leaves the family. But if the mother dares to leave her child she faces societys wrath, whatever reason she may have. For a man it is ok to leave their children behind. Everybodys on Renas mother and what she did was unforgiveable, there is no doubt about it. But the father wasn't dead. Where was he? And why did nobody blame him? He also abandoned Rena. He was also responsible. I think it is more accepted that a father leaves his children because, and that's just one of many reasons, the bond between father and child is not the same as between mother and child. It is just completely different. Every case is different of course, and there are certainly women that feel no love for their child at all, either. I think that Renas mother for example loved Rena, but she was mentally ill. She needed help and she didn't get it. Blaming her is easy. It's obvious that she suffered depression or something even worse.

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Jul 27th, '10, 19:22

MaiKitty wrote:I know what you mean. Although I don't want to dismiss the important role a father plays in a human beings life it can hardly compare to the bond between mother and child. It's really fragile ground we're walking on here and I certainly don't want to hurt anyones feelings with this but it still shows in this drama and worldwide that it is almost always the father that leaves the family. But if the mother dares to leave her child she faces societys wrath, whatever reason she may have. For a man it is ok to leave their children behind. Everybodys on Renas mother and what she did was unforgiveable, there is no doubt about it. But the father wasn't dead. Where was he? And why did nobody blame him? He also abandoned Rena. He was also responsible. I think it is more accepted that a father leaves his children because, and that's just one of many reasons, the bond between father and child is not the same as between mother and child. It is just completely different. Every case is different of course, and there are certainly women that feel no love for their child at all, either. I think that Renas mother for example loved Rena, but she was mentally ill. She needed help and she didn't get it. Blaming her is easy. It's obvious that she suffered depression or something even worse.
I agree with you. I think society needs to stop thinking it's the job of only a woman and mother to raise and care for her children. Though the bond of a father/child and mother/child are different, it's not weaker or stronger than the other. But because society [i[thinks[/i] the mother/child bond is stronger, that's why it's worse for a mother to abandon her child. "Oh how can you do that to your child who you carried for nine months?" Just lots of fathers don't even try to develop that bond (... this is only for fathers who know they are the fathers....) becasue they automatically disconnect themselves because they are not a mother. I know Rena's mother loved Rena... but she got tired of caring for her. She got tired of being the one to do it alone. And her new boyfriend didn't encourage her to have Rena around. And she got really depressed and even thought killing herself and Rena would solve it. She didn't want to leave her boyfriend because that was probably the only thing keeping her temporarily happy, so she decided to ignore the abuse. Society will think how could she do such a thing... but we can't deny that maybe our mothers had doubts about taking of us or thought about stop caring. Mothers are still humans and I think that's what happen to Rena's mom.

I think mothers, well parents, should put their children above their selfish needs and keep on being a parent.... My mom is similar to Rena's. Nowhere to that extent... but my mom eventually kinda stopped caring... she suffers from depression and drinks and picked up smoking again (she stopped smoking for over 15 years) The way my mom raised me and my brother totally contradicts how she is now. It just sucks when a mother just kinda... stops halfway through

20centuryboy

Post by 20centuryboy » Aug 11th, '10, 15:13

I just finished watching Bara no nai Hanaya. If you liked mother, I recommend it. I It's not as good as mother but it share some similarities in the story .
Last edited by 20centuryboy on Aug 12th, '10, 08:24, edited 1 time in total.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Aug 11th, '10, 15:36

MaiKitty wrote:I know what you mean. Although I don't want to dismiss the important role a father plays in a human beings life it can hardly compare to the bond between mother and child. It's really fragile ground we're walking on here and I certainly don't want to hurt anyones feelings with this but it still shows in this drama and worldwide that it is almost always the father that leaves the family. But if the mother dares to leave her child she faces societys wrath, whatever reason she may have. For a man it is ok to leave their children behind. Everybodys on Renas mother and what she did was unforgiveable, there is no doubt about it. But the father wasn't dead. Where was he? And why did nobody blame him? He also abandoned Rena. He was also responsible. I think it is more accepted that a father leaves his children because, and that's just one of many reasons, the bond between father and child is not the same as between mother and child. It is just completely different. Every case is different of course, and there are certainly women that feel no love for their child at all, either. I think that Renas mother for example loved Rena, but she was mentally ill. She needed help and she didn't get it. Blaming her is easy. It's obvious that she suffered depression or something even worse.
Well, you could easily blame the father, but it was the mother's decision that was wrong. She has many alternatives she could have chosen, but she didn't. First, she should have faced her ex-husband for alimony before signing the divorce papers. Or even if after wards she regrets, she should have went to her ex for financial help if she is having a hard time or ask the father to take care of the kid. When put into that situation, the father would probably prefer to give money. The other option if she didn't want to go to her husband, she should have put Rena up for adoption. But she didn't do either. Didn't seek help, didn't give her away. Instead she chose to let Rena get abused and even kill her. That is why she is at fault and not the father. The father wasn't a good husband, doesn't mean he's not willing to support his own child.

H a n a

Post by H a n a » Aug 11th, '10, 18:47

seirin wrote:
Well, you could easily blame the father, but it was the mother's decision that was wrong. She has many alternatives she could have chosen, but she didn't. First, she should have faced her ex-husband for alimony before signing the divorce papers. Or even if after wards she regrets, she should have went to her ex for financial help if she is having a hard time or ask the father to take care of the kid. When put into that situation, the father would probably prefer to give money. The other option if she didn't want to go to her husband, she should have put Rena up for adoption. But she didn't do either. Didn't seek help, didn't give her away. Instead she chose to let Rena get abused and even kill her. That is why she is at fault and not the father. The father wasn't a good husband, doesn't mean he's not willing to support his own child.

Wasn't The father Dead ??!!

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Aug 11th, '10, 19:18

Her husband is not dead.
She's divorced. In one of the flashbacks, when she was gonna take Rena away cuz she cried for help. She saw her ex with another woman and children so she wanted to jump and commit suicide with Rena. It was a good thing she stopped.

She has mental problems I think. Avoiding reality by telling people her husband was dead. From the way her ex treated his new wife and kids, he doesn't seem like such a bad father. I think if Rena's mom asked for his financial help, he probably would provide it. He may not take Rena in though since his new wife might not like that and he has other kids to take care of.

garcon

Post by garcon » Aug 13th, '10, 11:53

epic drama
It was so quite, yet to subtle to miss..
At first i was drawn by the acting, then to the plot itself.

Im not even a tear-jerker, but i was surprised because this drama made me cry---I couldnt believe myself. GENIUS DRAMA...this only happens rarely to me. :salut:

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Sep 11th, '10, 23:17

First of all thank you so very much Chuks including the rest of the subbing team.
Oh my what a tearjerker.
I don't think I have ever cried this much when watching a drama. (even more than 1 Litre of Tears). :cry:
Excellent acting and soundtrack.

Myxale

Post by Myxale » Nov 3rd, '10, 13:16

One of the most potent thing that Japan produced this year.
I don't remember watching something tis good in ages!

This Drama carries probably the singularly most important message.
In times of social numbness this is a light!

Everything fits; the acting, the writing and the substance.

So, anyone knows where I can get the whole Batch in one package??

mary_hikari

Post by mary_hikari » Nov 17th, '10, 23:05

first I have to say and agree with everone, Ashida Mana did an amazing job! I want to see hear in many future shows. She reminds me of the little miss sunshine actress - talented and different from anything I've seen before!

now my question:
why didn't nao try to get the right to see tsugumi until her 20th birthday after she left jail.
Nao was afraid Tsugumi had forgotten about her (episode 10). Then she finds out Tsugumi still loves and needs her but Nao does not act.
and, much more important: why didn't she tell her, that the police decides she has to stay away? tsugumi is afraid her mother does not love her anymore and Nao does not tell her why she gives her away ... again. I find this disturbing.
And why wasn't Tsugumi allowed to read the letter lets say at her 14th birthday?
Mother proves once more the reason why I enjoy watching japanese dramas:
they are so different from anything in the US and Europa. Different characters, for example the reporter - ambivalent like you would never see a character in a US show.
phantastic!!

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Nov 18th, '10, 02:38

mary_hikari wrote:first I have to say and agree with everone, Ashida Mana did an amazing job! I want to see hear in many future shows. She reminds me of the little miss sunshine actress - talented and different from anything I've seen before!

now my question:
why didn't nao try to get the right to see tsugumi until her 20th birthday after she left jail.
Nao was afraid Tsugumi had forgotten about her (episode 10). Then she finds out Tsugumi still loves and needs her but Nao does not act.
and, much more important: why didn't she tell her, that the police decides she has to stay away? tsugumi is afraid her mother does not love her anymore and Nao does not tell her why she gives her away ... again. I find this disturbing.
And why wasn't Tsugumi allowed to read the letter lets say at her 14th birthday?
Mother proves once more the reason why I enjoy watching japanese dramas:
they are so different from anything in the US and Europa. Different characters, for example the reporter - ambivalent like you would never see a character in a US show.
phantastic!!
Well I can't answer all the questions since it has been a while since I've last seen this show sooooo....
According to wikipedia, a minor in Japan is someone under 20 so... I guess that's why she had to wait till she was 20 to see Nao freely on her own without any law involved

k361
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by k361 » Dec 8th, '10, 13:21

mary_hikari wrote:first I have to say and agree with everone, Ashida Mana did an amazing job! I want to see her in many future shows. She reminds me of the little miss sunshine actress - talented and different from anything I've seen before!
Check this out http://www.tokyohive.com/2010/12/child- ... C3%97smap/

She was guest at SMAPxSMAP

Mana will be broadcasted in january Toilet no Kamisama
http://www.tokyohive.com/2010/11/uemura ... a-special/

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Dec 9th, '10, 15:28

k361 wrote:
mary_hikari wrote:first I have to say and agree with everone, Ashida Mana did an amazing job! I want to see her in many future shows. She reminds me of the little miss sunshine actress - talented and different from anything I've seen before!
Check this out http://www.tokyohive.com/2010/12/child- ... C3%97smap/

She was guest at SMAPxSMAP

Mana will be broadcasted in january Toilet no Kamisama
http://www.tokyohive.com/2010/11/uemura ... a-special/
:thumright: :thumright: :thumright:
& now the torrent is here
SMAPxSMAP - 2010.12.06 (704x396 XviD)

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Dec 27th, '10, 22:02

This episode of Himitsu no Arashi-Chan! is highly recommended!!
http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1353136

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Feb 13th, '11, 13:49

What can I say ? I don't think that I have the right words :(
Im not a big fan of japanese drama for the only reason is that I find the acting quiet cold but that drama is definitely full of emotion , the acting was so realistic , that little girl did a GREAT job , she was lovely , cute ,smart ,annoying sometimes but I would never imagined someone at her age will do that amazing acting , hats off !
In the other hand , the story is well written , music is beautiful, views are beautiful ,the whole things...
I think this is a human drama that I will definitely recommend to EVERYONE ( not only addicted to asian drama )
There are 3 kinds of ppl : a man, a woman and....a mother !
Ps: A big thanks for the subbing team .

r1ck

Post by r1ck » May 8th, '11, 10:03

that right spotlight goes to ashida mana.
but other cast did their job very well.
this is sad story but watching this one didn't make pain in my heart cause other people around her gave support.

another great job NTV similar 14-sai Haha, hokaben and Aishiteru
thx for subbing team too.