[Discussion] GOU ~Himetachi no Sengoku~

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Jan 9th, '11, 07:00

Finally, the day has come! I'm looking forward to this (and seeing Toyokawa Etsushi) although I've barely watched a taiga in its entirety.

Wanted to share this interesting article on Japan Times:

'Go' tackles Sengoku years from a female perspective
New yearlong NHK drama depicts the tumultous rise of the Tokugawa shogunate
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ ... 231r1.html[/i]

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 9th, '11, 12:35

Ep.1 was quite enjoyable!

General Review
They use a movie quality picture? Or it was just me? I feel like the picture is not drama-like and more of a movie-like. I haven't watch Taiga 2009 and 2010, so NHK might have used that picture format since 2 years ago?
Anyway, in story terms, it was pretty good, but the pacing was kind of too fast, it was clearly rushed.

Best actresses worth to mention are Suzuki Honami and Ashida Mana-chan. Suzuki Honami is The Best ICHI for me!! I really love how she portrayed her strong-willed, and a bit evil in the beginning.

Mana-chan as Chacha was really cute and she acted so good!!*v* I was so moved with her acting!

Kishitani Goro as Toyotomi Hideyoshi haven't had that much scenes, but he was okay. Kitaoji Kinya as Tokugawa Ieyasu was also the same, but Kitaoji's aura is really kakkoiii, I think he'll be an awesome 1st shogun!

My biggest disappointment was Etsushi Toyokawa as Oda Nobunaga. I never liked his acting in the first place, actually. But I thought he was cool in 20th Century Boys, so I was willing to give him a chance, but yappari he was lame as Nobunaga :( He portrayed him with no aura or personality or leadership gestures that makes me admire Nobunaga (like the previous actors portrayed him). But it's only the first episode, I'd still give him a chance. Hopefully my opinion changes in the next episode.

Juri as Gou in the prologue scene was very, very Nodame! heehee... which I didn't dislike at all though^^
In the opening credits, Juri was looking very, very beautifullll!!! I can't wait to see her wearing that mature princess dress in the drama.

Yoshimata Ryo's musics are AWESOME!!! Sasuga!!!! He totally did not disappoint!!

Can't judge much just from Ep1, but hoping the pacing will get better by the next episode^^

Story spoiler mentions
As far as I know, Tokugawa Ieyasu was not really a direct vassal of Nobunaga? In other adaptations, seem like Ieyasu was always in other place during Nobunaga's attacks, and he only comes once in awhile to help. But in this drama, they make Ieyasu like a direct vassal to Nobunaga, on the same position as Hideyoshi and Mitsuhide, and he's always there near to Nobunaga. I just feel weird about it.

The drama also didn't explain how Akechi Mitsuhide became Nobunaga's vassal. While in his first scene, he was clearly the shogun, Ashikaga Yoshiaki's vassal.

Apparently, Suzuki Honami's Ichi is the narrator of the story. I hope she will be the narrator for all 47 episodes. I love her voice.

I personally love the plot where Ichi wanted to abort her 3rd baby (Gou), but Chacha threatened her, that she would kill herself if Ichi abort her baby sister. (Loved Mana-chan's acting here! :thumright:) Then, after Gou was born, and Nagamasa mentioned how Chacha saved Gou's life, Ichi as the narrator mentioned "No one can imagine that these two (Chacha and Gou) will become enemies in the future..." ....huaaa.. sou da naaa :cry: I'm surprised the narration didn't mention anything at all, during the scene of Hideyoshi and little Chacha's first meet :P

Ep1 was full of tragedy. Hoping for a lighter episode next week.

vege-okonomiyaki

Post by vege-okonomiyaki » Jan 9th, '11, 13:06

Cute baby Gou :D

Has anyone said they will be capturing this drama?

(Playing the waiting game now)

vege-okonomiyaki

Post by vege-okonomiyaki » Jan 9th, '11, 13:14

Arigato for explaining some of those plot points Yanie -
In particular I missed the specifics of what Chacha said there, but I knew it was intense... and I totally agree about the beginning being a bit Nodame. (It was the same in Sunao!)
Unfortunately my picture quality is :P so I am yet to appreciate the opening titles and the acting... :crazy:

flamethunder85

Post by flamethunder85 » Jan 9th, '11, 15:04

I'm saying it is a great first episode.
Opening credits together with the music is excellent.
I didn't feel the pace rushing, as I prefer it that way. It gave an intense feeling.
Little Mana and Suzuki-san were so incredible.
I love the scene where she threatened to kill his sister. Superb!!
Can't wait to see more Juri chan in next episode.

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Jan 9th, '11, 15:27

yanie wrote:As far as I know, Tokugawa Ieyasu was not really a direct vassal of Nobunaga? In other adaptations, seem like Ieyasu was always in other place during Nobunaga's attacks, and he only comes once in awhile to help. But in this drama, they make Ieyasu like a direct vassal to Nobunaga, on the same position as Hideyoshi and Mitsuhide, and he's always there near to Nobunaga. I just feel weird about it.
That was what I remembered too, and I can imagine feeling the same when I eventually get my hands on ep1.
Though I have a feeling that other discussions elsewhere will probably say that this is one of Tabuchi's interpretation of a feminine/Gou PoV.
And if that's true then, there'll probably be more to come.
yanie wrote:Apparently, Suzuki Honami's Ichi is the narrator of the story. I hope she will be the narrator for all 47 episodes. I love her voice.
I think she will. Cos they did ever get a character to double as a narrator before. Like in the 1988 taiga, Takeda Shingen, where Shingen's mother fulfilled this role.
Anyhow, I also think that NHK wouldn't have let the actress die out with her character, having return from acting since forever.

wolfsbane_desu

Post by wolfsbane_desu » Jan 9th, '11, 15:38

Izumisano and Luna14 are still subbing Ryomaden together. It's been wonderful to see a Taiga drama with good video quality.
I'm obviously going to watch Gou, even if it's just a TV cap, but one can dream that someone will subtitle the drama. The story looks super interesting and I can't wait to watch it!

HypnoSurf22

Post by HypnoSurf22 » Jan 9th, '11, 15:57

I'm so happy the first ep aired :cheers: I can't wait to see it. Spending 2011 with Juri is going to be great. Best wishes to whoever decides to sub this :roll

fie_lin

Yaayyyy....

Post by fie_lin » Jan 9th, '11, 16:29

minna-san,,nice to meet you :D
this is my first time join in forum discussion :cheers: . usually, i'm be a silent reader but now it's different. it's soooo difficult to find taiga drama's fans so i'm happy that i'm not alone :cry:

i relieve that all of you give a possitive review in this first episode. i don't watch it yet but i have a big expectation for gou. Maybe it's because I'm a big fan of atsuhime and up till now i still stuck with Iesada Tokugawa (sakai masato) and Atsuhime (aoi miyazaki) as the best couple ever in taiga drama. I hope Gou (ueno juri) and Hidetada Tokugawa (osamu mukai) will surpass it :mrgreen:

kyaahhh,,can't wait for the subtitle coming out,,i'm very excited :lol

flamethunder85

Post by flamethunder85 » Jan 9th, '11, 16:52

Gou Opening Credits HQ

江~姫たちの戦国~__OP.avi (63MB)
MF: http://www.mediafire.com/?ztdod4zkcud36tu

fie_lin

Nice Opening ^o^

Post by fie_lin » Jan 9th, '11, 18:04

Thanks a buch flamethunder85 for the opening,,
I'm amazed with Gou's opening especially when juri chan start dancing with her beautiful attire. From the opening, it shows that Gou personality will be like water. If Atsuhime personality is very passionate like fire then Gou's personality is very refreshing like water. Soooo interesting!!! :w000t:

I'm sory if i'm look too excited :P

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Jan 9th, '11, 18:29

What a beautiful opening! It has a very spring/summer feel about it. I'm really looking forward to this years taiga drama now. :)
Anyone who feel like making some pretty wallpapers? :lol

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 9th, '11, 20:15

Keiko1981 wrote:What a beautiful opening! It has a very spring/summer feel about it. I'm really looking forward to this years taiga drama now. :)
Anyone who feel like making some pretty wallpapers? :lol
There's wallpapers available at the official NHK web site. :thumright:

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 9th, '11, 22:16

chokubi,
chokubi wrote: That was what I remembered too, and I can imagine feeling the same when I eventually get my hands on ep1.
Though I have a feeling that other discussions elsewhere will probably say that this is one of Tabuchi's interpretation of a feminine/Gou PoV.
And if that's true then, there'll probably be more to come.
Yeah, actually there were more. Wasn't ichi suppose to warn Nobunaga with those beans in a pouch? In GOU, Ichi's maid tried to make her do it, but in the end she decided not to.
Tabuchi also left out the fact that Nagamasa also has a son (from previous wife), that escaped together with Ichi and her 3 daughters during the fall of the Odani castle. (she didn't leave this fact in the novel)

But those two deviated plots didn't bother me at all, so I didn't mention them in the previous post :-)

Thank you so much for posting the opening!! Love it, love it so much!!!^v^

UsagiYojimbo
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber
Hungary

Post by UsagiYojimbo » Jan 9th, '11, 23:18

flamethunder85 wrote:Gou Opening Credits HQ
Sugoi!

miznagase

Post by miznagase » Jan 10th, '11, 04:10

wow! what a great first episode!!!
gou's father was such a loving husband and honorable man.
it's so sad that he had to kill himself after he lost the battle :cry:
the next episode is gonna get really interesting.
we'll have to see how gou's mother and uncle's relationship is going to turn out.
also, during the previews, they mentioned that gou and her eldest sister, chacha, are going to be enemies :-(
geez, why do relatives have to fight each other all the time in this taiga? :unsure:
juri was in this episode for a total of a minute :lol
i'm really excited to see more of her from the next episode :thumright:

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Jan 10th, '11, 04:16

yanie,
yanie wrote: Yeah, actually there were more. Wasn't ichi suppose to warn Nobunaga with those beans in a pouch? In GOU, Ichi's maid tried to make her do it, but in the end she decided not to.
Tabuchi also left out the fact that Nagamasa also has a son (from previous wife), that escaped together with Ichi and her 3 daughters during the fall of the Odani castle. (she didn't leave this fact in the novel)
Hmm, looks like Tabuchi's trying to streamline the story to be it more digestible. Either that, or she's trying to cut down the scenes and forward the story to make Gou appear as soon as possible. : P
I suppose this is better in a way since extra info are not mentioned for the sake of it like how they did it in AOI. :lol

7unasoul

Post by 7unasoul » Jan 10th, '11, 05:36

juri make ma say WOW

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 10th, '11, 14:56

Hmm, no sign of anyone posting a torrent for Episode 1.... :pale:

HypnoSurf22

Post by HypnoSurf22 » Jan 10th, '11, 15:06

I'm getting really nervous too :unsure:

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 10th, '11, 15:40

We'll most likely be getting Go broadcasts at the end of the month/beginning of February here in SoCal after Ryomaden finishes... It'll most likely be hardsubbed by KIKU_TV Hawaii... :)

fie_lin

Post by fie_lin » Jan 10th, '11, 16:45

bmwracer wrote:Hmm, no sign of anyone posting a torrent for Episode 1.... :pale:
i've been searching since yesterday but i couldn't find it anywhere,, :cry:

kiddygrade

Re: Yaayyyy....

Post by kiddygrade » Jan 10th, '11, 17:14

fie_lin wrote: i relieve that all of you give a possitive review in this first episode. i don't watch it yet but i have a big expectation for gou. Maybe it's because I'm a big fan of atsuhime and up till now i still stuck with Iesada Tokugawa (sakai masato) and Atsuhime (aoi miyazaki) as the best couple ever in taiga drama. I hope Gou (ueno juri) and Hidetada Tokugawa (osamu mukai) will surpass it :mrgreen:

kyaahhh,,can't wait for the subtitle coming out,,i'm very excited :lol
I, too, am a fan of Atsuhime (we, at MS-Kissa, are currently subbing it in French) and of its composer, Ryo Yoshimata, who also composes the score for GOU. Of course, I also love Ueno Juri and Mukai Osamu. That's the reason(s) why I would really liked if someone would upload Gou and, of course, if someone could sub it. Bmwracer talked about a possible Hawaii-version, but I think it's precisely this version which was uploaded for Atsu and the translation was very unaccurate, alas. A real good fansub would be far better… Maybe one could ask qop123 for the Japanese script? It would be a first step of sorts…

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 10th, '11, 20:41

kiddygrade wrote:Bmwracer talked about a possible Hawaii-version, but I think it's precisely this version which was uploaded for Atsu and the translation was very unaccurate, alas. A real good fansub would be far better… Maybe one could ask qop123 for the Japanese script? It would be a first step of sorts…
No fansub group has ever worked on a Taiga (I think) and I doubt someone will start now: pretty tough to dedicate 49 weeks to a single project. :sweat:

And it would be awful if a group were to start subbing the Taiga and then drop it midway through the project. :pale:

I'd be irate. :x

kiddygrade

Post by kiddygrade » Jan 10th, '11, 21:44

bmwracer wrote:
kiddygrade wrote:Bmwracer talked about a possible Hawaii-version, but I think it's precisely this version which was uploaded for Atsu and the translation was very unaccurate, alas. A real good fansub would be far better… Maybe one could ask qop123 for the Japanese script? It would be a first step of sorts…
No fansub group has ever worked on a Taiga (I think) and I doubt someone will start now: pretty tough to dedicate 49 weeks to a single project. :sweat:

And it would be awful if a group were to start subbing the Taiga and then drop it midway through the project. :pale:

I'd be irate. :x
I would be irate too :) (but, as I said, we, at MS-kissa, have taken to sub Atsu hime in French; we are currently working on ep 11-13)

I sent a PM to qop123 about japanese subtitles, we shall see what they say.

The problem of subbing a Taiga drama is, in my opinion, more related to the language used in such dramas than simply to the length of the show…

ecco27

Post by ecco27 » Jan 10th, '11, 21:59

A fansub group is currently subbing Ryoma-den isn't it?

It's nice to think that we'd get hardsubbed Gou ripped from American TV like we have with so many other Taiga dramas but when I look at the torrents it seems like Ryoma-den hasn't been uploaded since episode 28 back in September. So I hope someone will start again with Gou :unsure:

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Jan 10th, '11, 22:12

flamethunder85 wrote:Gou Opening Credits HQ

江~姫たちの戦国~__OP.avi (63MB)
MF: http://www.mediafire.com/?ztdod4zkcud36tu
Thanks a lot!

Liubeibei

Post by Liubeibei » Jan 11th, '11, 00:24

Hi everyone, I've been a lurker for a while..but it's nice to see so many people are also into Taiga dramas.

If no group is going to do the subs for Gou anytime soon, I want to do it as a part of my preparation for the level 1 JLPT.

Only if I can get my hands on the original Japanese script/subtitles...

Edit: Nevermind! Found the srt file, thanks to qop123! Time to get to work.
Last edited by Liubeibei on Jan 11th, '11, 01:54, edited 1 time in total.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 11th, '11, 01:25

Ep1 rating -> 21.7%

Great start! :thumright:

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Jan 11th, '11, 03:24

yanie wrote:Ep1 rating -> 21.7%

WOW. that's a very good start!
Thanks for the great news! :thumright:

Hopefully, the 2nd will be higher since Juri-chan will appear there(?)

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Jan 11th, '11, 03:58

yanie wrote:Ep1 rating -> 21.7%

"First episode of Gou gets rating of 21.7% and 20.9% in the Kanto and Kansai region respectively. Last year's Ryomaden got 23.2% and 21.0%."

source:
doramaworld@Twitter
http://doramaworld.blogspot.com/

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 11th, '11, 06:58

Credit: Baidu

jielun07

Post by jielun07 » Jan 11th, '11, 12:19

where can i find ep1 torrent ?

can't wait to watch.... +_+

HypnoSurf22

Post by HypnoSurf22 » Jan 11th, '11, 16:18

jielun07 wrote:where can i find ep1 torrent ?

can't wait to watch.... +_+
We're all in the same boat jielun07. We can only sit tight and pray some kind soul will share it here with us.

kiddygrade

Post by kiddygrade » Jan 11th, '11, 17:08

Liubeibei wrote:
Edit: Nevermind! Found the srt file, thanks to qop123! Time to get to work.
You did? On this site? I searched the Subtitles forum but didn't find anything (and I contacted qop123 yesterday but haven't had any response so far).

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 11th, '11, 23:42

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 12th, '11, 06:10

I watched the first five minutes... And all I saw was Nodame in a jidai-geki scene:

Image "Hauuu...!" :lol

vege-okonomiyaki

Post by vege-okonomiyaki » Jan 12th, '11, 16:28

:crazy: Queensland floods just cut my power so I can't download this for at least two whole days! :( Stupid water. Humph! :cussing:

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Jan 12th, '11, 16:39

vege-okonomiyaki wrote::crazy: Queensland floods just cut my power so I can't download this for at least two whole days! :( Stupid water. Humph! :cussing:
:offtopic: I really hope you'll keep yourself at a safe place. It's really horrible with all the water there. :(

vege-okonomiyaki

Post by vege-okonomiyaki » Jan 12th, '11, 23:35

Keiko1981 wrote:
vege-okonomiyaki wrote::crazy: Queensland floods just cut my power so I can't download this for at least two whole days! :( Stupid water. Humph! :cussing:
:offtopic: I really hope you'll keep yourself at a safe place. It's really horrible with all the water there. :(
I'm not flooded but a couple of friends and relatives nearby are (severely). I'm fortunate to live up high. Just no power to the suburb (and 115,000 other people) for ~3 days. This is so people don't get electrocuted trying to get back into their homes. Really strange with all the news, rescue & army choppers flying around, and most people home - unable to get to work.

Ah well. At least I got to see it in Internet fuzzy- vision. And something to look forward to in a couple of days. :)

mako-sama

Post by mako-sama » Jan 13th, '11, 03:04

The first episode was fantastic. I can't wait for ep2

seshilia

Post by seshilia » Jan 13th, '11, 03:06

bmwracer wrote:I watched the first five minutes... And all I saw was Nodame in a jidai-geki scene:

# I was afraid of that... :lol
But we all know Juri can be as serious as gyabo-ish...but I'm still downloading to check this out.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 13th, '11, 04:18

seshilia wrote:
bmwracer wrote:I watched the first five minutes... And all I saw was Nodame in a jidai-geki scene:

But we all know Juri can be as serious as gyabo-ish...but I'm still downloading to check this out.
Don't let my remark discourage you... It was just an observation of mine.

I thought the episode was quite dramatic and interesting... Maybe more so when the Egnlish subs become available.
Last edited by bmwracer on Jan 13th, '11, 04:24, edited 1 time in total.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 13th, '11, 04:21

It's totally okay! Tabuchi Kumiko wrote Gou's character in the novel, kinda Nodame-ish in the first place, anyway. So it's just the way the scriptwriter wants her to act the character^^ I missed her Nodame-ish acts, since we didn't get that much in Sunao^^

7th-key

Post by 7th-key » Jan 13th, '11, 13:41

seshilia wrote:

I also would have liked less "nodame"-ness (although it was more a smart mouth version). But then I remembered Gou's supposed to be 10 or 11 years old here and the whole scene was obviously intended to lighten up the mood for an otherwise drammatic episode.
The previews of the serious scenes to come look quite promising to me and I know Juri-chan will deliver. :)

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 13th, '11, 14:32

7th-key wrote:I also would have liked less "nodame"-ness (although it was more a smart mouth version). But then I remembered Gou's supposed to be 10 or 11 years old here and the whole scene was obviously intended to lighten up the mood for an otherwise drammatic episode.
True.

I only referred to it as Nodame-ish, 'cause just about everyone knows Nodame... To anyone else, Go is just a young, independent, impetuous girl... :)
The previews of the serious scenes to come look quite promising to me and I know Juri-chan will deliver. :)
Mochiron. :thumright:

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 13th, '11, 15:34

7th-key wrote:I also would have liked less "nodame"-ness (although it was more a smart mouth version). But then I remembered Gou's supposed to be 10 or 11 years old here and the whole scene was obviously intended to lighten up the mood for an otherwise drammatic episode.
I always had problem with dramas that using the same actor/actress when the suppose to be much younger than their age. it's just unrealistic. with all my respect to Juri-chan (and her fans :mrgreen: ), even though she is young and can look younger than her age but in those scenes i thought being 10-11 (if that is the age they meant to show us) did not suit her at all. she obviously does look much older.
as for Nodame-ness, I think Juri-chan will be trapped in her Nodame character for some years until that character fades out from viewer's memories either by time or very dramatic shake of image that will replace that Nodame image. I know Juri-chan can act. I acknowledge her talent but in her last drama there was one or two scenes that she totally reminded me of Nodame. I can easily forget those scenes because it is a modern time drama but with this one, it can't be easily ignored. but i am sure that she will give me a very impressive performance that makes me only think of Gou.
I really can't wait for subs.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 13th, '11, 20:01

^ I don't think Juri-chan will be trapped or typecast because of her Nodame role: It's just that it's such a beloved character that you can't help but see Nodame in all of her other roles... It's really not her problem, it's ours. :mrgreen:

Also, she's made similar impact with her Tomoko role in Swing Girls and Ruka in Last Friends..... :thumright:

Honestly, she'll never be typecast... Other than being a fine actress. :thumleft:

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 13th, '11, 20:39

Oh no no. I probably did not put what I meant in right words. By being trapped in Nodame I did not mean that she is being type cast. We all know when it comes to variation in roles, she is one if those actresses that she has done all range of characters. What I meant was, after Nodame we all seem to pick up one or two characteristics Of Nodame in her dramas. :mrgreen:

Ps. I was sure I am going to read your reply Bmwracer :P it's being long time since both in one thread :thumright:

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 13th, '11, 22:23

Issy wrote:Oh no no. I probably did not put what I meant in right words. By being trapped in Nodame I did not mean that she is being type cast. We all know when it comes to variation in roles, she is one if those actresses that she has done all range of characters. What I meant was, after Nodame we all seem to pick up one or two characteristics Of Nodame in her dramas. :mrgreen:
Ahh... Wakarimashita.
Ps. I was sure I am going to read your reply Bmwracer :P it's being long time since both in one thread :thumright:
I was thinking the same... Ohisashiburi...! :thumright:

seshilia

Post by seshilia » Jan 15th, '11, 17:35

bmwracer wrote:
seshilia wrote:

Don't let my remark discourage you... It was just an observation of mine.

I thought the episode was quite dramatic and interesting... Maybe more so when the Egnlish subs become available.
# Yes, I watched the very first minutes yesterday and I agree with your observation, I was expecting some Juri-ness, it's not only from Nodame, but it's part of Juri-chan's acting. And I think is part of Gou now, as beeing represented by Juri-chan. :D

I'm very curious about this drama. It's my first Taiga drama, and I'm really interested in the language used in such drama, all that nihongo expressions, costumes and music. :)

Anyway, the drama is just begining and we can have a better opinion about it when the subs become available, as you said.

Ganbare Juri-chan!

Liubeibei

Post by Liubeibei » Jan 15th, '11, 23:25

I've uploaded ep1 with English subs that were done by myself, but since I'm a new uploader, it's still under the Pending category waiting for approval.

avieamber
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by avieamber » Jan 15th, '11, 23:59

Liubeibei wrote:I've uploaded ep1 with English subs that were done by myself, but since I'm a new uploader, it's still under the Pending category waiting for approval.
wow thank you so much! hopes it gets approved soon! :wub:

avieamber
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by avieamber » Jan 16th, '11, 13:15

wow just finished the subbed version
Since this is my first taiga drama, i'm pretty excited. I can't compare with the others like ryoma den or atsuhime as i've never watched them before, but I can say that I really really enjoy this one. Though the war scenes weren't grand or surreal and rushed, I am touched by the acting performances from the cast. They were really great!

I like Gou's father in this episode. Such a loving husband and father and it was a pity that he had to sacrifice himself in order to save his family. And I don't blame Gou's mother for betraying her own brother too. I think her brother was such a power-hungry person.

And the ultimate scene that made me cry was the part where young Chacha (child actress from Mother) prevented her from killing the baby. Such a strong performance!

But overall, I can't wait for the next episode where we'll be seeing more of Gou :cheers:

I'm definitely impressed by this drama and going to continue :wub:

7th-key

Post by 7th-key » Jan 16th, '11, 19:54

I have to say, I recently watched "Aoi Tokugawa Sandai", and now I miss knowing exactly how many horses, spears and teppō were used on each side of a battle field. :mrgreen:
But the skirmish visuals were quite good, showing bright images instead of the classic cornstarch fogged scenes.

For the story I felt it a bit rushed, but surely a valid introduction.
And now it's up to ep2! :cheers:
Last edited by 7th-key on Jan 17th, '11, 00:03, edited 1 time in total.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 16th, '11, 23:58

Ep2 pace was alot more slowed down, but time felt passed really fast for me! :blink

I'm really, really enjoying this Sengoku era story being told from Gou's POV. Sure, it's alot less manly (e.g the lame battle scenes), but it's very, very touching and alot more dramatic than "AOI Tokugawa Sandai", and it works for me :P

I loved "AOI Tokugawa Sandai" to the max, and I'm a big fan of Gou and Tokugawa Hidetada characters in that drama. So watching GOU, is like watching the more-feminine-like prequel :roll (fyi, older version of Gou was the leading lady of "AOI", 2000 nhk taiga drama)

I really, really enjoyed ep2, esp. acting performances, dialogues, interactions between Ichi and the 3 sisters.

Still about Ieyasu-sama
lol, they made Ieyasu so "little" in this drama. He actually hangout at the Azuchi castle(where Nobunaga lives), relaxing while drinking sake in one of the room, and then Hideyoshi would come and talk to him. A very different interpretation from previous adaptations, where Ieyasu is a lord and totally doesn't hangout around Nobunaga, he has much more power than Hideyoshi in this time around that there's no way they hangout and drinking sake together, lol. They made like, Ieyasu is a direct vassal of Nobunaga, and get along with Hideyoshi. BUT, I might like this!^^ heehee... in "Toshiie and Matsu", they made Maeda Toshiie and Hideyoshi to be bestfriends(plus rivals), in GOU, seem like they're trying to make Hideyoshi and Ieyasu to be buddies (before their war time comes) :P It might be interesting that way. I don't mind. The way they always bow to Gou and her sisters are interesting too^^

Ah, also... Ieyasu introduced Tokugawa Nobuyasu, his first son, to the 3 sisters. I really hope this drama show the story where Nobunaga ordered Ieyasu to kill his wife and son, Nobuyasu. Because I never see that much in adaptations, only heard it mentioned.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 17th, '11, 01:59

Ep2 rating -> 22.1% (increased 0.4%) :cheers: Hope it keeps up!
(despite all the negative voices in 2ch, the rating is still good, yokatta...)

Oh, regarding Juri's acting
After a full appearance for the whole episode, I don't see "Nodame" anymore^^ She's just Gou, a girl trying to find out what happened to her father and her uncle in the past, she's in sorrow and confusement, as she admire her uncle but she found out that he's her father's enemy. Great portrayal by Juri-chan! :thumright: but btw, I lost track, how old is she suppose to be in Ep2? I remember reading this part in the novel, and I think she's suppose to be 7?
Regarding Etsushi's Nobunaga
I still don't like his portrayal as Nobunaga. His portrayal actually made me miss Komyo ga Tsuji's Oda Nobunaga (played by Tachi Hiroshi), although my fav is still Sorimachi Takashi in Toshiie to Matsu.
Checking the episode guides, I'm so glad he will only appear until Ep5. I kinda can't stand his Nobunaga. I don't know how will I go through Ep3, where seem like there will be so many Gou-Nobunaga scenes >_<

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 17th, '11, 06:33

Finished watching Episode 2.

If the Wiki dates are correct, Juri-chan's Go character is supposed to be six or seven years old in this episode....

LOL. :lol

She does play it quite well: wide-eyed, curious, impetuous... :thumright:

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Jan 17th, '11, 07:34

yanie wrote:
Regarding Etsushi's Nobunaga
I still don't like his portrayal as Nobunaga. His portrayal actually made me miss Komyo ga Tsuji's Oda Nobunaga (played by Tachi Hiroshi), although my fav is still Sorimachi Takashi in Toshiie to Matsu.
Checking the episode guides, I'm so glad he will only appear until Ep5. I kinda can't stand his Nobunaga. I don't know how will I go through Ep3, where seem like there will be so many Gou-Nobunaga scenes >_<
He's actually one of my favorite actors so far. I will seriously be sad after episode 5 not seeing Etsushi emote with his mustache. Um, is it necessary to put in spoiler tags what everyone already knows will happen? NHK already has ep 5 listed as Honnoji, so unless they are planning on lots of flashbacks, we know which actors aren't going to be around.

JUYI

Post by JUYI » Jan 17th, '11, 16:59

yeah! this is the 1st time I'm watching a Taiga.... looks pretty interesting ... and i'm so looking forward to the next episode....

yeah give juri some time, when she gets more air time! we'll see! =)

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jan 17th, '11, 19:14

Hi Yanie,
I am d/l the subbed episode 1 of GOU and looking forward to the following episodes. I am also wondering if I can compare this with the very early drama 'Takeda Shingen' Have not searched yet to see if this is the same time frame. It will be interesting to see what happens in the older drama. I think maybe it will be like comparing whitebread and wholewheat. The modern drama is very bright and in colour of course but the ladies are so carefully lit and dressed so it looks more glamorous. The older drama is much more tough and people look very natural. Hence my wholewheat... Looking forward to seeing both when I have them d/l.
Incidentally I loved the young Oda Nobunaga when played by a young Takuya Kimura. I would like to see a drama with him playing the older version of the daimyo. Nobunaga is my favourite historical samurai. Takuya K. has mentioned he would like to do that I think.

7th-key

Post by 7th-key » Jan 17th, '11, 21:12

Episode 2

Liked it a lot.

Really a lot of screen time for Juri-chan and she really has found her Gō: her expression are the one of a child and not comically exagerated a la Nodame.
I especially liked the mixture of emotions in the "believe in yourself" scene: determination, fear, confusion and acceptation.
While Gō's fanlike enthusiasm at the first meeting with Nobunaga made me smile all the way through.

I haven't seen any portrais of Nobunaga before, but I'm impressed by Toyokawa Etsushi since the previews: extremely charismatic and great voice.

EDIT:
yanie wrote:Ep2 rating -> 22.1% (increased 0.4%) :cheers: Hope it keeps up!
(despite all the negative voices in 2ch, the rating is still good, yokatta...)
ano... what's "2ch"?

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 18th, '11, 00:21

Watched Episode 1 again with subs this time... Really strong, well-acted opening act forthe series. :thumright:

I thought the little girl who played the young Chacha looked like a five-year old Ayase Haruka... :mrgreen:

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 18th, '11, 12:49

Trying to predict until which ep Juri have to wear the childish outfit (I really can't wait until she wear the adult kimono XD). While checking the novel and episode titles, this is my prediction of Gou's age in each episode, up to Ep22.
Ep 1: 0 years old
Ep 2-3: 7 years old
Ep 4-10: 9-10 years old
Ep11-14: 10-12 years old
Ep15-16: 13 years old
Ep17-22: 16-18 years old

Ep17, maybe? 15 eps more to go XD
For episode titles, you can find it here: http://community.livejournal.com/tokugawa_gou/6078.html

avieamber
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by avieamber » Jan 18th, '11, 13:29

yanie wrote:Trying to predict until which ep Juri have to wear the childish outfit (I really can't wait until she wear the adult kimono XD). While checking the novel and episode titles, this is my prediction of Gou's age in each episode, up to Ep22.

For episode titles, you can find it here: http://community.livejournal.com/tokugawa_gou/6078.html
I shall try to ignore the fact that she's supposed to only be 7 yrs old looking that tall in episode 2 then :lol

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 18th, '11, 13:35

avieamber wrote:
yanie wrote:Trying to predict until which ep Juri have to wear the childish outfit (I really can't wait until she wear the adult kimono XD). While checking the novel and episode titles, this is my prediction of Gou's age in each episode, up to Ep22.

I shall try to ignore the fact that she's supposed to only be 7 yrs old looking that tall in episode 2 then :lol
this proving very hard to swallow for me and its killing my enjoyment of watching the whole ep. I don't know why they could not cast a younger actress that her age is near enough that ege in eps and leave Juri-chan to act the age that is more believable.

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Jan 18th, '11, 13:50

Issy wrote:
avieamber wrote:
this proving very hard to swallow for me and its killing my enjoyment of watching the whole ep. I don't know why they could not cast a younger actress that her age is near enough that ege in eps and leave Juri-chan to act the age that is more believable.
It's a problem for me, too. And made even more difficult by the introduction of the more age-appropriate Mori boys.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 18th, '11, 14:45

^ You guys are worrying way too much about the age thing... Just sit back and enjoy the show.

BTW, Episode 2 subs are out: http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_92078_0.htm :thumright:

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 18th, '11, 15:10

bmwracer wrote:^ You guys are worrying way too much about the age thing... Just sit back and enjoy the show.

BTW, Episode 2 subs are out: http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_92078_0.htm :thumright:
It's not about worrying to much about the age dear bmwracer, it is about watching a 24 years something pretending to be 6, 7 or even 11. of all dramas i have seen, this must be a first one. no matter how good Juri-chan is in portraying Gou character in that age, still, it is hard to believe and take seriously. honestly, sitting back and enjoying the show is proving hard.
I am sure you don't find it strange and enjoying it tremendously :mrgreen: but this little details do matter with some viewers.
and this would be my last rant about the age issue. :P
Last edited by Issy on Jan 18th, '11, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.

ecco27

Post by ecco27 » Jan 18th, '11, 15:22

It's always like this in taiga dramas though. When I think about it it's weird but when I watch it I just don't think about it. The reason for it is probably that they want to hurry and introduce the main actress because that's what everyone is really looking forward to and most people aren't interested in watching a child actor lead a show for 15+ episodes.

7th-key

Post by 7th-key » Jan 18th, '11, 15:25

I'm just glad they didn't do any morphing or CGI atrocities...

Hatsu and Chacha are just 3-4 years older than Gou - you'd need 3 extremely good kid actors to make 10+ eps worth watching...

and I'm over with this issue too ;)

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 18th, '11, 15:58

Just finished watching Episode 2... Another interesting, well-acted episode, I thought.

A lot of griping about the age disparity between the roles and the actress playing them, but I let it go, so it didn't bother me one bit... I thought Juri-chan played her wide-eyed, naive girl role perfectly in this episode... Really... Fanboy favoritism aside. :)

And props to our fansubber Liubeibei who's doing the subs for this series... I hope he can maintain his level of interest throughout and sub the entire Taiga. :thumright:

iLLusiOnEr

Post by iLLusiOnEr » Jan 18th, '11, 18:22

bmwracer wrote:Watched Episode 1 again with subs this time... Really strong, well-acted opening act forthe series. :thumright:

I thought the little girl who played the young Chacha looked like a five-year old Ayase Haruka... :mrgreen:
Agreed with you.A great opener.Its been long since i watch any taiga(Yoshitsune the last i think).

That little girl is Ashida Mana.Been hook to her performance since her debut as major role in Mother last year(definitely a must watch drama).The best and youngest child actress to me.Ever since Shida Mirai and Fukuda Mayuko in Queen's Classroom,I think she is the next big child star..(and younger too!). I've been looking forward to see her in the film Usagi Drop and Confession as she's making her debut in big-screen

wolfsbane_desu

Post by wolfsbane_desu » Jan 18th, '11, 18:37

iLLusiOnEr wrote:
bmwracer wrote:Watched Episode 1 again with subs this time... Really strong, well-acted opening act forthe series. :thumright:

Agreed with you.A great opener.Its been long since i watch any taiga(Yoshitsune the last i think).

That little girl is Ashida Mana.Been hook to her performance since her debut as major role in Mother last year(definitely a must watch drama).The best and youngest child actress to me.Ever since Shida Mirai and Fukuda Mayuko in Queen's Classroom,I think she is the next big child star..(and younger too!). I've been looking forward to see her in the film Usagi Drop and Confession as she's making her debut in big-screen
Yep, she was incredible in "Mother" and she was what, 5-6 years old at the time? She really acted good as Chacha, fierce and strong despite her young age.

Going to watch episode 2 today. For now I am really enjoying the beautiful cinematography!

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 18th, '11, 20:52

iLLusiOnEr wrote:

The last Taiga I watched all the way through was Musashi back in 2003... The ones since then never really completely grabbed my interest for the entire run...