Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

Just finished watching SOS and all I can say is...

Discuss Japanese drama series here.

Can you accept step-sibling marriage?

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 81

Scyth3r

Just finished watching SOS and all I can say is...

Post by Scyth3r » Oct 29th, '04, 11:01

**************SPOILER WARNING************

That's f*ckin disgusting. :crazy:

"Or maybe I'm pregnant" *pukes* :thumbdown:

********** ***SPOILER WARNING FOR AUTUMN TALE****************

At least in Autumn Tale, they don't have sex and they die at the end.

kobe007

Re: Just finished watching SOS and all I can say is...

Post by kobe007 » Oct 29th, '04, 11:07

well i didnt watch sos yet but if it is not blood related than im ok with it

kinki

Post by kinki » Oct 29th, '04, 13:37

if they are not blood-related then why not? as long as hey are not really related to each other.
if they are in love with each other, its unfair to make them separeated just bcoz their parents are married, and thus they are considered siblings (on papers only)!! :roll

this is my opinion!

shi

Post by shi » Oct 30th, '04, 04:09

SOS was one of the first dramas I watched and I really liked it. So yeah there's nothing nothing with step-siblings marriages. It was really cute how they got together.

koolbr33z3

Post by koolbr33z3 » Nov 4th, '04, 06:29

I think it's kinda weird even though they're not blood-related. I personally don't think I'd swing that way, but people are entitled to their own opinions.

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Nov 4th, '04, 06:35

i didn't watch it yet but i think it's find if it's not blood-related.

and in an Autumn Tale.......Eun-suh and Joon-suh did not have an ounce of blood in common.

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Nov 4th, '04, 15:34

What if you hook up with a partner and decide to get married, then your parent, divorced or widowed takes a liking to your partners parent in the same situation.

If they got married, lets just say it's much easier to have family dinners. You won't have to send your invitations to your Sister/Brother in law to far, just give the card to your hubby/wife :w00t:

Well hmm I guess in short, I don't see a problem with it as long their not blood relatives.

Hence, "Toshiie & Matsu", where Matsu at first was adopted by Toshiies parents and thereby became Toshiie's adoptive sister, and then they married when she was only 12 years old. However back in 1674 it was more common too I guess. Toshiie was 21 and Matsu 12 I think.

dia

Post by dia » Nov 9th, '04, 08:38

Well my curiosity is whetted.
What is SOS?? But more importantly...
where can I download it...lol

Don't mean to offend, but I'm soooooo not bothered by legitimately consentual love between siblings, homosexuals, whatever. Course that gets a bit sticky when it's parent/child.....brrrrr, now that one gives me chills, but hey...it's not my job to judge. Besides murder and mayhem gives me far bigger chills.

Aywho, what is this SOS? :D :D :D

babyxdorkii

Post by babyxdorkii » Nov 9th, '04, 08:43

strawberry on the shortcake u can dl it here it starred: hideaki takizawa!!

dia

Post by dia » Nov 10th, '04, 03:07

OMG, I can't believe I didn't know that..lol I've been hearing about Strawberry on the Shortcake since I've been loitering around this site. Course I never did check it out, figured it was a series I was too late to get, but I'll give it a shot now. Thanks babyxdorkii. :)

pankanshe

Post by pankanshe » Nov 10th, '04, 07:26

I don't think its digusting, they were not related in anyway. If my step sister was that hot, I wouldn't mind.

************* SPOILUR **********************
Btw, I don't remember a scene where their parents actually went through the wedding? She's just living there and known as a family member cause she has no where else to go? I'm not sure, someone correct me.

************* SPOILER **********************

Just kidding, I wouldn't do anything like that. But I won't be bothered if someone else did it.

purple^season

Post by purple^season » Nov 12th, '04, 00:16

hmm.. am I the only one that think SOS is not THAT good?
I mean the story line isn't that great and there's no moral value unlike other japanese dramas I've seen...
well.. just an opinion.. :P

linco

Post by linco » Nov 16th, '04, 23:52

i think its okay in SOS cuz its not like their blood related. i think its kinda nasty in autumn tale cuz they were raised to be blood siblings. i know they arent related at the end but still. SSH's character was checking out his younger sister when he was young when he DIDNT know that she wasnt his sister.

whisper
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by whisper » Nov 17th, '04, 00:35

no...you aren't the only one, as much as i love the cast, sos was kinda boring...but yes step siblings are fine, it's not their fault that their parents decided to get married thus making them step siblings

in the sos situation, it helps that takizawa's character fell for her before they became step siblings...

Scyth3r

Post by Scyth3r » Nov 17th, '04, 21:52

linco wrote:i think its okay in SOS cuz its not like their blood related. i think its kinda nasty in autumn tale cuz they were raised to be blood siblings. i know they arent related at the end but still. SSH's character was checking out his younger sister when he was young when he DIDNT know that she wasnt his sister.
Bwahahaha. I remember that also. I was thinking "OMG you sick tard why are you checking out your younger sister!" And thsi is when they were both young and he didn't know they weren't blood related! Ewww!!!

And yeah SOS, was somewhat boring.

pankanshe

Post by pankanshe » Nov 18th, '04, 21:10

So many eyecandies how can it be boring?!? I think a lot of people can relate to it; being a virgin, liking someone that already likes someone else, getting with someone you can get with, getting punked, etc.

yollibee

Post by yollibee » Nov 19th, '04, 05:48

it's so booorrinngggg. i think the story line is fine. it's just too slooOooOOoow

pankanshe

Post by pankanshe » Nov 19th, '04, 08:26

yollibee wrote:it's so booorrinngggg. i think the story line is fine. it's just too slooOooOOoow
Obviously you have not seen ENOUGH Korean dramas.

yamada_taro

Post by yamada_taro » Nov 19th, '04, 08:53

pankanshe, there wasn't a scene with a wedding.. and yeah, she probably had no where else to go since.. well, you know what happened.

Glad I'm not the only one who found that weird. I guess you can get married or date siblings who aren't blood-related.. although I've never heard of such cases..

Scyth3r

Post by Scyth3r » Nov 19th, '04, 09:27

pankanshe wrote:
yollibee wrote:it's so booorrinngggg. i think the story line is fine. it's just too slooOooOOoow
Obviously you have not seen ENOUGH Korean dramas.
lol. I started getting annoyed with Kyoko's character. She was just too much of a weirdo, and that kiddy personalty started getting irritating. And I absolutely hated the guy. Ugh, what a tool. Rina was extremely pretty though. :wub:

lol, kdrama is a different kind of slow. It's more like draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag, rather then just having slow pace to it. And when theres drama, its INTENSE drama. SOS was just one issue going at an extremely slow pace.

pankanshe

Post by pankanshe » Nov 19th, '04, 22:07

Well I didn't noticed it dragged, none of my friends either. I thought it was well paced and everything that happened sort of needed to happen. I don't remember a useless or slow part in SOS. I'd somewhat agree with you that Korean dramas tend to drag, but i'll argue that its WAY slower than SOS. SOS was like 11 or 12 eps? Korean dramas tend to be 16 and up from the ones I've seen. Thats the main reason i started moving away from Kdramas, they are TOO slow for me... and Koreans dramas are somewhat predictable too.

zdoon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by zdoon » Feb 16th, '05, 06:00

Bump.

I don't think there's anything wrong with their relationship at all. They're not blood, and it's not as though their relatioship was based on sex.

As for the series, I agree with those who think it's slow and "ok" at best. Kyoko's "I'm a pet trapped inside a human being's body" contrivances got tiring toward the end. I had been tired of that from anime anyway. Also, Takki's introverted narrations were never interesting to me but they were particularly dull by ep 10. His tweazed transvestite style eyebrows seriously bother me too. :P The last episode was relatively interesting but to my suprise actually, it was very anticlimatic at the same time.

I'd like to think that the best parts about SOS are its intro, outro, and production values relating to editing epsecially. Without them, I probably would have more fun reading someone's blog.

My random two cents.

jaycee05
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by jaycee05 » Jun 3rd, '05, 08:14

Just finished SOS a few minutes ago...(after laboring on it for 1 and a half month)
and all I can say is...

This is the first jdrama I'll put on my "it-sucks-category"
There wasn't endearing or touching about it at all..(okay, maybe a few scenes)
That "We were born to love" theme...I find it too unrealistic...
They overdid the love theme a wee bit too much.
I wasn't able to relate on any character at all. The four of them irritate me in different ways.

Kyoko Fukada (Yui)
Did I say she was cute? or I like the way she baby talks? I was probably hallucinating when I said that. I now give her the plague--ah typo, plaque, I mean-- for worst actress ever (jdrama and kdrama). I cant even stand her facial expressions from the last 2 episodes. What a really, really, bad actress! And I'm not even adding her pathetic love for that sempai.

Takky (Manato)
I have nothing against Takky...I thought he did an okay job with his acting. But his character hasn't engaged me at all. His obsession towards Yui is getting way out of hand! And, no...I don't really care if they end up with each other or not.
And I don't get his..." Dakara...I'll never forget her"
I don't know what's the significance of that line. Yes, it makes the narration more dramatic...but what's so unforgettable with that weirdo :roll:

The nerd from GTO (Saeki-san)
I'm hoping it's not just me who got overly annoyed with the way he enunciates and say every word? Though, I admit it...his random switching from japanese to english was cool....but wait, I should credit the translator for putting the japanese translations for his english lines--that's what made it cool...other than that, it's definitely engrish, man :roll:

Rina Uchiyama (Sawamura)
This is only my second rina drama since I've seen her bubbly character from Good Luck. I have nothing to say bad about her. The only sane person in this drama. :-)

As for the "disgusting issue" people were talking about..nah, I'm not against it all. They weren't blood related after all.

Good points:

The ending MV is very, very cool...especially that first shot with takky on the snow with Abba's S.O.S playing.
zdoon wrote:I'd like to think that the best parts about SOS are its intro, outro, and production values relating to editing epsecially.
and that too

Still, this drama made me think about some life aspects. Saeki's speech at the last episode moved me even for just a minute. Well, I did think, "uhh, corny" when he uttered his first line. But the repetitions of 'we were not born to suffer, we were not born to hurt' and the way he carried it out was probably the best scene in the final episode. The part where he was talking about the other person we're hiding inside us...that's what makes Yui special...when the three of them(Manato, Sawamura, Saeki) and even the teacher had lived one point in their lives with that mask on.

And the pacing...well, I say it's typical jdrama pacing.
Last edited by jaycee05 on Jun 4th, '05, 08:03, edited 2 times in total.

rainidy
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rainidy » Jun 3rd, '05, 08:19

not really :lol but since they didn't know each other that long and her mother died, it's a little different.

donna8157

Post by donna8157 » Jun 3rd, '05, 13:18

I have to agree with many of the points jaycee had made in her post. I too didn't find SOS as appealing or as memorable as many of the other jdramas I've seen. The characters were pretty shallow and the ones that I liked the most were the side characters, especially Rina Uchiyama's character. She seemed the most "real".

Anyway, the editing for this series was the major, if not only plus for me. It was fresh , but sometimes a bit overdone. I wouldn't go through the hassle of downloading it unless you are a large fan of Kyoko Fukada.

As for the main question in this thread, I don't think it was so much the fact that they were step brother and step sister that made me dislike the pairing (since I wouldn't have minded if the main characters in "Autumn Tale" got together), but it was the fact that both of the characters annoyed me. Their characters weren't given much depth and their motives for being with one another just seemed too forced.

tokyo shounen

Post by tokyo shounen » Jun 3rd, '05, 13:35

i loved it and ffs why do i have to read major spoilers about autom tale all the friggin time :pale: ;P

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Jun 3rd, '05, 13:37

tokyo shounen wrote:i loved it and ffs why do i have to read major spoilers about autom tale all the friggin time :pale: ;P

I liked it too.But I have to agree to all the points mentioned above.Maybe I only liked it because it was my first asian drama and if I didnt like it back than I might have stopped watching dramas and missed all this fun here :D

JadedAngel

Re: Just finished watching SOS and all I can say is...

Post by JadedAngel » Jun 3rd, '05, 14:11

kobe007 wrote:well i didnt watch sos yet but if it is not blood related than im ok with it
Yeah, i agree...its a bit weird when you first think about it especially if they were raised together from children as brother and sister........but that's not the case here. and since they're not really related why should it matter? They can't help who their parents fall in love with....and Hideaki is so cute ! :wub:

It was a little bit weirder with "Autumn Tale" since I'm sure their love started long before they ever found out that they weren't really related. :lol But I loved the show anyway.

insyte

Post by insyte » Jun 4th, '05, 02:11

Though the plot may have been a little shallow, I did try to enjoy this while watching it.

Developed a minor crush on Rina Uchiyama :)

As for the step-sibling issue, well I find it a little weird :)