[Discussion] Nagareboshi (Takenouchi Yutaka, Ueto Aya)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
kawaiiruna

Post by kawaiiruna » Dec 24th, '10, 13:29

DJG666 wrote:I think ending was HORRIBLE, said first user ever :> Of course there wasn't anything better, rather other "drama's" were much worse, than Nagareboshi this season, which makes Nagareboshi quite OK. Now right to the points: where is the "touchy-feely love" of some sort? :)~ Don't mean US-soap-like over the top fakiness but just a hug at it's best?! Many times I felt that...I can hardly tell how characters feel, in general (hence not being Japanese myself). Almost bored. Fuji were much more expressive before so looks like it's on purpose as Takenouchi, Ueto requested.
A storyline needed more variety by decreasing certain plot parts. Kitano was adorable but "time at the hospital" took a solid first half. Surrounding "friends" could've been bolder instead, such as Minako, Ryota and so on.
Last, but not least: too predictable. About two hard to guess moments throughout ten episodes is very plain. It's not a suspense thriller or a comedy but not being surprised doesn't increase my interest ether.
Overall Shooting Star gets my "watchable" ratings. Wasn't anything new or exciting.
i love this drama..maybe if i said this, it looks like very subjective opinion..at the beginning i watch this drama cos of ueto aya...& i enjoy this drama so much ^^

i know everybody have their own taste... but i don't know why you still finished download these huge files size drama & finished watch this drama if you don't excite this drama...you just waste your time i think :-)
*no offence :-)

Issy

Post by Issy » Dec 24th, '10, 14:15

I have to say that it was one of the best dramas of this season and even last season. considering the poor qualities of recent dramas, Nagareboshi was like a breath of fresh air. of course every drama has it flaws and you can't find a perfect one. but Nagareboshi maintained its entertainment aspects through the whole drama. I enjoyed every ep and it did disappoint me at all, sure you get frustrated and angry at storylines sometimes and it is inevitable but the main storyline stayed strong.

at the end of the day we knew what kind of story was so we did not expect it go otherway. still, it could have a sad ending. I am just SO happy with how everything ended in last ep but i also have to agree that last ep was kind of rushed. they completely ignored the fact the we still wanted to know what happened to Kengo and Risa's brother in that year. specially in Risa's brother case which i am still confused about his character and was it all fake or not. it would not hurt if they included Risa struggle with life and how she ended up working in that sea pet store. I know that everything is obvious and it was easy to get even when they did not include those scenes.

regarding Kengo and Risa's end scenes, I totally bought it. even though i know it was all pretend and fake (in term of acting). for a person like Kengo who I know through out last 9 ep, this declaration of love is just way out of his character. so i am Happy that he even gave me this tight hugging.

over all, i have to say this drama was great. I loved Aya and Yutaka and their chemistry together. i love to see them again together on screen again.
:wub:

4everU

Post by 4everU » Dec 25th, '10, 07:10

Issy wrote:I have to say that it was one of the best dramas of this season and even last season. considering the poor qualities of recent dramas, Nagareboshi was like a breath of fresh air. of course every drama has it flaws and you can't find a perfect one. but Nagareboshi maintained its entertainment aspects through the whole drama. I enjoyed every ep and it did disappoint me at all, sure you get frustrated and angry at storylines sometimes and it is inevitable but the main storyline stayed strong.

at the end of the day we knew what kind of story was so we did not expect it go otherway. still, it could have a sad ending. I am just SO happy with how everything ended in last ep but i also have to agree that last ep was kind of rushed. they completely ignored the fact the we still wanted to know what happened to Kengo and Risa's brother in that year. specially in Risa's brother case which i am still confused about his character and was it all fake or not. it would not hurt if they included Risa struggle with life and how she ended up working in that sea pet store. I know that everything is obvious and it was easy to get even when they did not include those scenes.

regarding Kengo and Risa's end scenes, I totally bought it. even though i know it was all pretend and fake (in term of acting). for a person like Kengo who I know through out last 9 ep, this declaration of love is just way out of his character. so i am Happy that he even gave me this tight hugging.

over all, i have to say this drama was great. I loved Aya and Yutaka and their chemistry together. i love to see them again together on screen again.
:wub:

TOTALLY AGREE WITH U!! DEFINATELY ONE OF THE BEST IF NOT BEST OF THIS SEASON!! GREAT CHEMISTRY!! CALM SWEET AND REALISTIC STORY LINE!! not over the top or over acted!!! their acting was great!! wish to see them in another great drama such as this one..i also wished they had a less rushed ending and more scenes with them!

Kae

Post by Kae » Dec 25th, '10, 11:49

It doesn't feel rushed to me for a 10-episode Japanese drama I guess because I expected it as a 10-episode Japanese drama, know what I mean? I love it.

ameonna

Post by ameonna » Dec 25th, '10, 21:10

emmy21 wrote: The last episode totally skipped over the entire incident and buildup for ep 9. If Kengo turned himself him, how come he wasn't punished? Granted that he quit his job and is now a low key cargo worker. But no repercussions to anyone? Everyone just lay low and the incident went away? The tabloids gave up the pursuit of the story? And Risa's brother? That part was really strange. I feel like I missed an entire episode in between!
(SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN THE FINALE)

My humble take:

• Kengo probably did do some time. In the Japanese “novelized” version (which regrettably doesn’t follow the actual drama plot to a T), apparently 10 months. The drama is much less explicit, but there were vague hints here and there: he gave away his precious jellyfish; his senpai Kawamoto-san saying “You’ve done enough”, his mother commenting how it’s been a pretty while since the family went out together.

• Risa’s brother never jumped. It was all a calculated ruse (he is, after all, a gifted con man) to “win” her back. After a while though, Shuichi knew that he just wasn’t cut out for penitence. More importantly, for the first time, he really opened his eyes to all the signs -- the phone strap, the daily deposits, the jellysih stickers on the passbook -- and for once decided to do right by his sister. By dropping off Risa’s passbook into Kengo’s home mailbox, he served the role of a go-between for the star-crossed pair. Also -this was stated by Fuji TV- he did not withdraw her money. Based on that last phone call he made (to an unidentified lady friend), my guess is that his many colorful occupations and adventures also include being a sometime-gigolo.

This has been such a rare, amazing drama for me. Perfect casting aside, I love that Nagareboshi is sometimes filmed like an almost silent-movie and how a large part of its effect lies in the way the drama is structured around emotional suppression and release.
And the ending… OMG that killer stare…, that voice… It left me gasping and crying a little.
Thanks and happy holidays and now back to lurking ^^

snow_of_dawn

Post by snow_of_dawn » Dec 26th, '10, 00:15

I agree with people who liked Nagareboshi and ranked it as the best drama this season, u're also right saying part of that lies in that the other "dramas" were not up to expectations, some were rather ridiculous (hinting out for guilty :whistling: ) but with all said, I enjoyed nagareboshi even without comparing it to other dramas this season. It had a nice and fresh story, and though at the beginning I felt that Yutaka and Ueto can never match(considering the big gap in age between the two), eventually i started to feel they had such nice chemistry.
I found it a very nice and sweet romance, a bit slow and boring at some parts, a bit rushy at others(especially in the finale), but all in all a nicely written plot and quite good acting as well.
There might be many other better romantic J-dramas that I would recommend, but If i was asked to recommend a drama from 2010 autumn season, I'll definitely recommend Nagareboshi.

Btw, I liked the ending and the last scene,
Issy wrote:for a person like Kengo who I know through out last 9 ep, this declaration of love is just way out of his character. so i am Happy that he even gave me this tight hugging.
Agree with you, the last scene was satisfyingly nice and sweet :wub: , if it had gone deeper than that it wouldn't have fitted with the drama's general atmosphere and taste.
And I adore Kobukuro's Ryuusei :wub: :wub: It fits the drama so well too

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Dec 26th, '10, 23:13

ameonna wrote:(SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN THE FINALE)

My humble take:
• Kengo probably did do some time. In the Japanese “novelized” version (which regrettably doesn’t follow the actual drama plot to a T), apparently 10 months. The drama is much less explicit, but there were vague hints here and there: he gave away his precious jellyfish; his senpai Kawamoto-san saying “You’ve done enough”, his mother commenting how it’s been a pretty while since the family went out together.

• Risa’s brother never jumped. It was all a calculated ruse (he is, after all, a gifted con man) to “win” her back. After a while though, Shuichi knew that he just wasn’t cut out for penitence. More importantly, for the first time, he really opened his eyes to all the signs -- the phone strap, the daily deposits, the jellysih stickers on the passbook -- and for once decided to do right by his sister. By dropping off Risa’s passbook into Kengo’s home mailbox, he served the role of a go-between for the star-crossed pair. Also -this was stated by Fuji TV- he did not withdraw her money. Based on that last phone call he made (to an unidentified lady friend), my guess is that his many colorful occupations and adventures also include being a sometime-gigolo.

This has been such a rare, amazing drama for me. Perfect casting aside, I love that Nagareboshi is sometimes filmed like an almost silent-movie and how a large part of its effect lies in the way the drama is structured around emotional suppression and release.
And the ending… OMG that killer stare…, that voice… It left me gasping and crying a little.
Thanks and happy holidays and now back to lurking ^^
Thanks for telling us about the novel version! I totally agree with you on her brother and about the nice style and the effect of the silent parts etc.

I didn't miss a kiss or more elaboration on their relationship. We all knew about their feelings and the way Kengo hugged her and asked her to come home was much more meaningful and emotional than any kiss could have been. I loved the HUG! The best drama-hug ever :mrgreen:

About the missing parts about what happened to them during that last year...I think it does cry for a special but at the same time i don't want any cause I'm so satisfied with the last ep as it is^^[/quote]

Kae

Post by Kae » Dec 27th, '10, 11:11

[quote="ameonna
Thanks and happy holidays and now back to lurking ^^[/quote]

I agree. Wonderful ending. I replay it everytime I want to pick up my mood after I finished downloading :) Now I am patiently waiting for the English subs to finish so that my viewing experience is complete.

ehimedays

Just some thoughts...

Post by ehimedays » Jan 6th, '11, 03:01

:thumleft: :thumright:
Friends, keep an eye out for the two talented screenwriters who brought us Nagareboshi this season to renew our faith in the power of a good drama.
not a single gratuitous bed scene, lots of pumpkin eating, two major scenes that involve...just hugs.
how many dramas these days can boast the above? :cheers:
I read ALL the comments on this thread because I just can't believe how good Nagareboshi was.
here's a tip about dramas- the best ones are shorter than usual- around 10 episodes or so. because, when screenwriters have to fill more episodes, the quality usually goes down and you end up with a lot of unnecessary filler drama that weakens the story.
some people remarked on the age difference between the main characters. let me tell you- men around Yutaka's age are at their prime, baby. girls who date older men usually get treated better. I should know, since the love of my life is also 10 years older.
I wonder how old you guys all are. I'm in my late 20's.
I wish we can discuss this drama in more depth, because it has a lot of lessons worth going over.
such as, how Kengo and Risa needed to be separated for a year, because I agree that a contract is not ethically sound. it's also good for the audience to see that they have to pay the price, so to speak.
the year apart helped them realize that their attraction to each other was based on real things, and that it wasn't just an circumstantial infatuation.
and Kengo sees Risa's beautiful qualities- even though she talks bluntly, and is not as tall, as educated, as charming or as beautiful as his ex fiance. Risa holds her own, because Risa is generous, straightforward, responsible, dependable- what you see is what you get- the exact kind of girl I imagine every guy would like to be with. very easy to get along with and spend a lifetime with!
oh, and last but not least- Minako's small tragedy in this drama must be mentioned. I think everyone can get the sadness and bitterness of her situation, the lesson she had to learn. Minako loves Kengo, but we find out that she's not the kind of person who gives it her all when it comes to love. in matters of love and family, we all would be very lucky to have someone like Risa.
gosh, Yutaka needs to do more dramas like this, doesn't he? he is just shining here. I love the environmentally friendly bike scenes- actually beats the expensive car scenes in most other dramas (korean and taiwanese dramas- I'm looking at you!)
I have to say, yes, Yutaka is aging now- you can't deny it. But I still want to see him act in more dramas, hopefully more well written ones like this. His years of smoking is finally catching up with him. Stop smoking!!! Yutaka is still one of most watchable actors in the biz.
okay, I think that's all for today. let's search out all the really good dramas and support the screenwriters!

ehimedays

One more!

Post by ehimedays » Jan 6th, '11, 03:10

I'm going to go all out and say that Nagareboshi is Yutaka's best work. Of all time. Thank you.

ehimedays

Post by ehimedays » Jan 6th, '11, 04:02

Why I like this drama so much is that Risa finally found the kind of dependable, giving family that she's been missing in her life so far. Kengo and his mom are people who don't shy away from taking on responsibilities that appear in their life (ex. raising the half sister) They aren't especially wordy people, but their strength lies in the the substance of their character. Kengo really taught her what real love between family is.
I think this drama demonstrates a lot of the unspoken stories and bonds between family members and couples. This drama has been so inspiring to me, it inspires me to be the kind of person that Kengo and Risa are.

kawaiiruna

Post by kawaiiruna » Jan 6th, '11, 04:39

@ehime: nice review..i enjoy this drama so much too ^^

natsurain4

Post by natsurain4 » Jan 12th, '11, 04:27

Hey guys, I really fall for... Risa's ringtone :)) It's kinda heavenly to my ears. Does anyone know its title or anything to find out this melody? Thanks in advance. :)

Nisda

Post by Nisda » Jan 12th, '11, 08:30

I desperately looking for english sub from episode 6 to 10.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Jan 12th, '11, 08:35

viki has the whole drama subbed. But you can only watch streamed.

Querbeet and roronoa are subbing this drama, too but you'll have to be patient and wait till they'll release the rest of the episodes.

hhnd

Post by hhnd » Jan 13th, '11, 21:53

Thank you ameonna for the information on the novel, I also wondered if Kengo served any time for his "fraud" since ep 9 just cut off at the scene where he entered the police station.

@ehimedays: I agree that the one year was pretty much needed to "confirm" their feelings, per se. I also love your take on Minako, she's the one character I sort of feel bad for because she did love Kengo after all, but compared to Risa, she was too hesitant, and she probably knows that's why she lost out - hence she never complained when Kengo refused to marry her.
Thanks for your take on the drama as well :salut: There are many aspects you mentioned that I haven't thought about :wub:

On the romantic touch: I don't see why people want to see more romantic scenes, after all Kengo and Risa are just two strangers held together by a contract. If I were in their situation it'd be hard for me to really love someone knowing I'm just their spouse for money in the beginning. So for me the development was slow but very very logical, and nothing beats Yutaka x Aya chemistry :mrgreen:

Nisda

Post by Nisda » Jan 14th, '11, 05:03

I just finished watching nagareboshi, the chemistry between Yutaka and Aya still bugging in my head, I wanted more actually (hahahaha) like others, I keep rewinding the very last part of the final episode. The hugging has made huge impact tells us all that without saying word 'i love you' does not mean kengo don't know how to express his love to risa.

Yutaka is such a brilliant actor. love you man

shioki

Post by shioki » Jan 14th, '11, 11:50

the chemistry between ueto and takenouchi is definitely there. they even had the chemistry off-screen. :D
See?
Image[/URL]

shuzzack
Malaysia

Post by shuzzack » Jan 14th, '11, 12:55

Nagareboshi is the best JDrama last year IMO..i love Yutaka and Aya pairing and not to mention their chemistry.the story itself is very heartwarming..i still havent watch the last 3 eps though..waiting for subs :-(

kawaiiruna

Post by kawaiiruna » Jan 14th, '11, 13:18

shioki wrote:the chemistry between ueto and takenouchi is definitely there. they even had the chemistry off-screen. :D
See?
Image[/URL]
LOL.. what a coincidental...their face expression are same exactly :lol

bugs_3v

Post by bugs_3v » Jan 22nd, '11, 15:43

wah still aiting for querbeetsubs of ep 6 onwards....because of this drama ive learned to love ueto aya she so damn good.....

ehimedays

Post by ehimedays » Jan 22nd, '11, 23:08

bugs, I already finished watching this a long time ago... on mysoju. Sorry, I forgot to let you know ^^

bugs_3v

Post by bugs_3v » Jan 23rd, '11, 07:14

yes i know its already finished.....just want to download it with english subs by querbeet coz i will make a dvd copy of it for my collection....tnx anyway........

ehimedays

Post by ehimedays » Jan 23rd, '11, 16:45

hey that's such a great idea! I'm kinda behind the times when it comes to technology ^^ But I was thinking about editing this drama into a feature length movie so that whenever I want to watch it, I can finish it in one go (and cut out some of the evil brother scenes, lol)

bugs_3v

Post by bugs_3v » Jan 24th, '11, 15:48

dont have idea for editing....but if you want to make a dvd copy of it just used nero 9....i already have 40 jdorama titles in my collection and this is my second for ueto aya the 1st is zettai reido...........

<3s-tei.

Post by <3s-tei. » Feb 9th, '11, 09:11

I just finished this. I loved it! From beginning to end.

I don't know why I choose this to watch, I don't watch jdramas when they air because I simply just can't wait a week for the next episode.

This one I decided to see pretty randomly cause I wanted a distraction in the form of a jdrama. Didn't register that Takenouchi was in this until after I started it. I tried to watch Rondo a few times but couldn't get into it.

He is still good looking. Very very handsome and Ueto Aya is so pretty! I love how both of their acting was very low-key, something I find common across all of Miyamoto Rieko's work. Miyamoto Rieko is the director for Nagareboshi, and also the director for my favourite Haikei Chichiue-sama, Yasashii Jikan and also Kaze no Garden.

I also love Kobukuro's Ryuusei. Great song! <3.
I am going to bet that the kiss on the cheek at the end was supposed to be on his lips and they both giggled when she kissed him on the cheek instead... haha cute.

When they were staring at each other other through the fishtank I was impatient and was thinking, "Come on!! Do something!!" LOL.
Anyway, great drama. Really liked it. It wasn't spectacular, but it was still pretty good.

joetake

Post by joetake » Feb 15th, '11, 03:52

One of the best dramas I have had the pleasure to watch.
Yutaka was brilliant in his minimalist acting style. He revealed so much emotion by 'showing' less.
Only great and true actors can achieve that on screen.
His chemistry with Ueto was very heartwarming...again, in that aspect- less is more.

I might have to agree with a previous poster- this is Yutaka's finest work!

shuzzack
Malaysia

Post by shuzzack » Apr 10th, '11, 09:40

just finished watching Nagareboshi,finally..i'm glad that i chose to watch this drama.one of the best Jdrama in a long time! :cheers:
it's a heartwarming drama and both ueto aya and yutaka are :wub:
i'm gonna miss Nagareboshi :-(

Loki

Post by Loki » Apr 12th, '11, 19:51

A little late to the party but I just finished watching today. I really liked the beginning episodes. The contrasting brother and sister relationships was really well thought out.

Some thoughts
-Risa's brother's love for her was a bit...odd. I also find it hard to believe that he could change from listening to Maria that one time (especially after wanting to strangle her).
-the whole one year later bit. I've seen quite a few dramas in my time. I never really liked the jump. I guess it was implied Kengo did time in prison -but I felt like he didn't need to leave Risa alone.
-And I like the whole ethical issue (J-dramas love to play on those ethical issues). I was cheering for Risa and Kengo to become real throughout.