[Discussion] Nagareboshi (Takenouchi Yutaka, Ueto Aya)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Sorvaseven

[Discussion] Nagareboshi (Takenouchi Yutaka, Ueto Aya)

Post by Sorvaseven » Sep 18th, '10, 13:48

Nagareboshi

Takenouchi Yutaka and Ueto Aya

Info taken from Dramawiki

Takenouchi plays an aquarium employee named Kengo, who seems ordinary at first glance but actually possesses a secret that he would sacrifice everything in order to protect. Meanwhile, Ueto plays Risa, a young woman working in the sex trade in order to pay off her brother's debt, though her situation has led her to contemplate suicide. These two characters, both full of despair, meet each other and end up entering a contract marriage purely for its benefits. However, as they overcome various troubles, their relationship begins turning into true love.

* Title: 流れ星
* Title (romaji): Nagareboshi
* Title (English): Shooting Star
* Format: Renzoku
* Genre: Romance
* Episodes: TBA
* Viewership rating: TBA
* Broadcast network: Fuji TV
* Broadcast period: 2010-Oct-18 start
* Air time: Monday 21:00
* Theme song: Ryusei by Kobukuro

Official Site
Fuji TV

Get Softsubs here:
English Softsubs
Last edited by Sorvaseven on Nov 22nd, '10, 17:43, edited 5 times in total.

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 18th, '10, 13:58

Wow there is a big age gap between the two to be in a romantic roles with eachother but I really love to see them in these characters. Can't wait to watch it. Missed Yutaka alot since BOSS.

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Sep 18th, '10, 14:41

Nagareboshi / Shooting Star will be subbed by Queerbeet :cheers:

http://querbeetsubs.tk/

junior_pansy

Post by junior_pansy » Sep 18th, '10, 15:15

yay.. another good dorama to look forward to.

Makoto_

Post by Makoto_ » Sep 20th, '10, 08:29

sounds really good!!

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Sep 20th, '10, 09:56

The story sounds like from an old school drama of the late 90s :D
Hm, the age gap of 14 years between Takenouchi Yutaka and Ueto Aya is a little bit big, but it's ok i think.
Yeah, i'm really excited about this drama. I hope this will be a good one !

Ah, by the way. Matsuda Shota from Tsuki no Koibito and Kitano Kii from LIFE will be also starring in this drama, so together with Takenouchi Yutaka and Ueto Aya it can't be a bad drama :lol

kawaiiruna

Post by kawaiiruna » Sep 21st, '10, 07:46

here're some caps from "nagareboshi" (gomen..only ueto chan caps ^^!!)
ImageImageImage
credit: b19921226 from UAFC

anggar

Post by anggar » Sep 21st, '10, 09:43

takenouchi yutaka, ueto aya, matsuda shota, kitano kii !!!
the cast :w00t:

tinyamaki

Post by tinyamaki » Sep 21st, '10, 10:15

NAGAREBOSHI CM 15s

NAGAREBOSHI CM 30s

After seeing this....I think the huge age gap didn't matter....cos Takenouchi looked so young with that hair cut. I'm putting a high expectation on this one so I hope it'll be good. :D

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Sep 21st, '10, 10:31

Eehh, why is Ueto lying motionless as a bride on the beach in the arms of Takenouchi :blink
Really curious about this drama :lol Thanks for sharing links

tinyamaki

Post by tinyamaki » Sep 21st, '10, 10:36

Sorvaseven wrote:Eehh, why is Ueto lying motionless as a bride on the beach in the arms of Takenouchi :blink
I'm actually wondering about that too... hahhaha well as long as it's as hot as takenouchi I don't mind it... I APPROVE :thumleft:

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Sep 21st, '10, 14:11

Is this an indication that there will be no happy end? :scratch: ahh, i guess it's too early for speculation :P

Issy

Post by Issy » Sep 21st, '10, 14:48

tinyamaki wrote:NAGAREBOSHI CM 15s

NAGAREBOSHI CM 30s

After seeing this....I think the huge age gap didn't matter....cos Takenouchi looked so young with that hair cut. I'm putting a high expectation on this one so I hope it'll be good. :D
SO TRUE. he looks amazingly young. :blink
now so sure about the story because it seems a sad one to me. from the two CMs, it seems the Aya's character is suffering from an illness because she said " if i die,...."

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Sep 21st, '10, 15:24

Wow he looks just great there. I'm really excited about this one. Hoping for a 90ies style melodrama with an equal amount of angst and fluff.

Well the description says the girl works in the sex trade and that she contemplated suicide...maybe he'll rescue her. If I had to guess I'd say this might be how they meet and decide to do the marriage contract...

kawaiiruna

Post by kawaiiruna » Sep 22nd, '10, 06:29

Issy wrote:
tinyamaki wrote:NAGAREBOSHI CM 15s

NAGAREBOSHI CM 30s

SO TRUE. he looks amazingly young. :blink
now so sure about the story because it seems a sad one to me. from the two CMs, it seems the Aya's character is suffering from an illness because she said " if i die,...."
looks like not aya's character who suffer from an illness..but kitano kie's character...
here's an article from kawaii-joyuu.com

Takenouchi/Ueto drama confirmed
It's Monday and another rumored fall drama has finally been confirmed, but they are still deciding on suitable a title.

Actor Takenouchi Yutaka (39) will return to Fuji TV's prestigious Monday 9pm timeslot after more than 9 years since "Dekichatta Kekkon" in 2001. He is going to play a desperate man who ends up in a contract marriage with a woman working in the sex industry who seems to be just as desperate as him played by Ueto Aya (24). What starts out as a mere contract marriage eventually turns into a true and pure love.

Takenouchi plays Kengo, a man who enjoys spending his time at the aquarium. He seems to be a pretty ordinary person, but he actually has a huge secret that he would protect even if it means to sacrifice everything else in his life. Out of interest he ends up in a contract marriage with a prostitute called Risa who tried to commit suicide. Soon they develop real feelings for each other, but harsh reality turns out to be a rather high obstacle for the couple.

The producers are confident that they've found the perfect actor for this difficult role. "We wanted to portray a story about deep and genuine love and Takenouchi was the best choice that came to mind for such a difficult role. He will be great playing that man troubled by false love that suddenly turns into true love," the producer said with high expectations.

Ueto is going to play the female lead and it will be her first time working together with Takenouchi. In the past she already played a woman who would act as the lover of man in return for money, but it's the first time she's actually portraying the role of a prostitute. Her role, Risa, ends up selling her body in order to repay a huge debt of her older brother. Her only way out seems to be death as displayed via various remarks such as, "I just want to dissolve like a jellyfish."

In September they will start the filming and Takenouchi can't wait to meet the team. "I'm looking forward to meet Ueto as well as the rest of the cast and the whole staff. I'd like to work hard with everyone in the team in order to create something that will stay in your memories forever," Takenouchi made clear that he is aiming for one of those masterpiece dramas that have become rare in Fuji TV's main drama slot.

Ueto promised to work hard as well, "Risa is a young woman hungry for love who ends up rediscovering the importance of being alive thanks to a relationship that started out as a mere contract marriage. I'd like to try my best conveying the development of that love."

Young actor Matsuda Shota (24) will also appear as a doctor while actress Kitano Kie (19) will play the protagonist's younger sister who is suffering from a serious disease.

An official title has yet to be announced. Filming will start in September while the first episode is planned to air in October.

credit: kawaii-joyuu.com
source: sanspo

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Sep 24th, '10, 14:19

Goro Inagaki plays the villain

SMAP’s Goro Inagaki (36) has been cast as the bad guy in the upcoming TV drama Nagare-boshi, it was revealed yesterday, reports Sankei Sports.

Inagaki will play Ueto’s older brother, who is willing to destroy his sister’s happiness in order to get money to pay off his mounting debts.

It is the second time Inagaki will play a villain, following his tyrant role in the feature film “13 Assassins”, taking another step away from his clean, gentle “Goro-chan” image.The drama producers have said that the SMAP member’s character is very human in that he really does not want to hurt his sister, but does so anyway.

Inagaki said he was looking forward to playing a selfish character.
“He’s the guy that adds some spice to show so I hope I can play that part to the full.
“There are times you feel sorry for the guy, but most of the time he makes you think ‘oh, not him again’ so I hope I get my own intro music (laughs),” he said.

Source: momoedgewood

The comment about his own intro-music made me lmao. :lol

SnowApple

Post by SnowApple » Sep 25th, '10, 16:10

Looks pretty interesting! Yutaka and Aya, a pairing I never would have thought to put together. Will definitely check it out once a few episodes have aired.

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Oct 8th, '10, 20:53

I'm looking forward to this drama! :-)

noshadow31

Post by noshadow31 » Oct 20th, '10, 15:53

just finished viewing ep1

a very depressing drama >_<
I really feel for Ueto Aya's character Risa and wanna kill off her bastard brother(Goro)!!
since it's what happened in ep1, I dont think I need to put a spoiler tag here.
The main plot goes like this.
Yutaka character's sister (Maria played by Kitano) has a liver problem and needs transplant.
Everyone in the family either cannot or is not willing to share his/her liver and waiting for donor would take forever.
Witnessing Risa trying to commit a suicide, Kengo(Yutaka) then offer to pay back her debt. In return, she has to become his wife, making her a legal family to Maria ,hence enabling her to give part of her liver to Maria. (asking non-family member to share liver = organ trading. that's why they need to get married first)

The show looks very promising. doesn't hurt that Matsuda Shota is in it too. hehe :)
Will continue watching next week. :)

kuma601

Post by kuma601 » Oct 20th, '10, 21:11

Looks good but yeah...seems like a heavy and sad drama. :cry:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Oct 20th, '10, 21:41

I really want to watch this one even if it is sad. Maybe there could be a good ending. I adore Takeno and will watch him doing anything, and then to have Matsuda playing a good role is a bonus.

Issy

Post by Issy » Oct 20th, '10, 23:10

i will watch it right now, will be back after i am done. but reading that is quiet depressing and sad drama (well so far ep1), i am just wondering what is happening with Jdramas this season. watched Guilty few hours ago and had more or less same feeling.

Edit:
just finished watching ep1, i have to say that i LOVE this drama. even though it has sad feelings but still love the pairing of Aya and Yutaka. i really need subs to understand everything being said but one thing i don't get
what benefits kengo will get if he is married?
really looking forward for ep2. i think this going to be my favourite drama of the season. hope that it does not disappoint me.
on a lighter note, i just can't take shota's character as the Dr seriously. not sure why? maybe because he just looks so young to be one. :lol

shioki

Post by shioki » Oct 21st, '10, 02:49

This drama seems pretty heavy with all the disease and the evil brother.

I think that's probably due to the liver transplant. Because there's the selling organs thing, so the doctors are very strict on who the donor is. If it's a total stranger, maybe the donating will be really troublesome.

Shota looks young but he's already 25 irl. (and 28 in this show) That's still logical. Just look at iryu3. They have a 20year-old intern doctor...

xploring

Post by xploring » Oct 21st, '10, 10:46

This has elements of some of the classic dramas made in the 90s, but ... it's missing something to be totally absorbing, I am not sure what. I like the feel of Takanouchi's character here, easy going but also calm and reserved.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Oct 21st, '10, 17:03

I really liked the first ep. I like how they drew Kengo and Risa and the chemistry is fine, too. I expected this to be kinda 90ies like and it looks that way =)) The camera and atmosphere is also very fitting.

I also thought Shota's performance as a doctor was a bit weak here... Goro on the other hand did a fine job, the first brother-sister scenes were fine and somehow just looking at him made me cack up ;)

The reason for the marriage is that she'll give part of her liver for Marie and Kengo'll pay her debts, That would be organ trade and a crime but it's ok if it's a family member. I like the plot so far :wub:

BTW, are there Japanese subs for this one?

Issy

Post by Issy » Oct 21st, '10, 17:32

still confused about the marriage proposal
i mean, don't they have to do some tests to make sure both the donor and recipient match? Kengo just asked Risa to marry him without any confirmation that she can be an organ donor to his sister. i found this strange and big plot hole.

xploring

Post by xploring » Oct 21st, '10, 21:58

Issy wrote:still confused about the marriage proposal
i mean, don't they have to do some tests to make sure both the donor and recipient match? Kengo just asked Risa to marry him without any confirmation that she can be an organ donor to his sister. i found this strange and big plot hole.
I thought about this too. The only way I can have it make sense is that
Kengo wanted to save Risa's life too. The writers will probably try to explain it next episode, Kengo was probably taking a gamble since he has run out of alternative.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Oct 21st, '10, 23:01

xploring wrote:
Issy wrote:still confused about the marriage proposal
I thought about this too. The only way I can have it make sense is that
Kengo wanted to save Risa's life too. The writers will probably try to explain it next episode, Kengo was probably taking a gamble since he has run out of alternative.
Yes, and
He knew her blood type was O, so maybe the probability is high? I mean he's desperate, too. cause the family and even his fiancee refused to help...and as it's a cliffhanger, maybe he'll add 'if you can become a donor' in he next ep.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Oct 22nd, '10, 02:13

Loved Ep1 more than I expected!! But I care more about Kitano Kie - Matsuda Shota pair rather than the main couple :P

Romance

Post by Romance » Oct 24th, '10, 09:28

First ep was awesome!! :cheers:

Post by 1100 » Oct 25th, '10, 22:01

Yes this was great, I wanna see the next! :D

xploring

Post by xploring » Oct 26th, '10, 14:58

Just watched the second episode. Felt like it was over very quickly and not a lot happened (lot of subtleties and character info in hindsight), the pace is slower than I expected. I like the boy at the hospital. Until the last couple of minutes,
I thought Risa had changed her mind about the deal.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Oct 26th, '10, 23:47

Just loved the second episode! :wub: :wub:

And the preview for 3
makes me expect even more difficult times for poor Kengo.
Haha Risa's niichan really is a pain and Kamiya-sensei will hear about Kengo's original fiancee...

btw, Ueta's soo cute when she's using rude language... :wub:

emmy21

Post by emmy21 » Oct 27th, '10, 14:24

Just watched ep 2 as well. I'm liking this drama so far. Initially I wasn't sure if this would be any good, and thought the pairing was rather odd and a love story between the two wouldn't be believable. But there's pretty good chemistry between Kengo and Risa so far, and I'm hoping this will turn out to a good drama.
I thought Risa changed her mind as well, especially when she went back to her working place.

And her brother is just sooo disgusting! I thought he was driving a red sportscar in ep 1 so I'm really not sure what he's doing being such a nuisance and sponging off Risa.
Can't wait to see ep 3! Things are looking complicated going by the preview.

Issy

Post by Issy » Oct 28th, '10, 02:36

ep2 was just great.

seriously loving Kengo x Risa pair. just so cute. Mari x Ryuta couple is another adorable pair.
i think Aya is doing a great job as Risa. so far, her character is the most interesting one. Yutaka's character still has not shined as much and so far just being ordinary loving brother character. but like his cool and calm image when he is in most distress.
i can't wait for their love story to begin.
i felt like his fiancée wanted to start all over again with kengo but he just shut every available door in her face. makes me wonder, if he really was in love with her at all because there was no sign of any sadness or pain in his face. no matter how calm and cool he shows, breaking up with your long term gf should atleast make you sad a little.
another confusing matter, assuming those were marriage papers i don't get the date of 28/11/59 on it. whose b-day it suppose to be? Risa's? is it even a b-day date?

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Oct 28th, '10, 03:28

About the birthday date, yeah it's Risa's. 59 as in the Showa year of 59. Showa 59 = 1984 :)

I'm loving Ep2!! I don't feel the pace is slow at all. I think it's in a perfect pace, can't wait for Ep3. Didn't expect at all that I would like this drama!^^

But...
I don't like the Ryota boy, he overreacts his acting, imho. I'm still hoping for a Kamiya-sensei / Maria pair to happen XD

Issy

Post by Issy » Oct 28th, '10, 03:33

:O you're right. totally forgot about the dates in Japan thanks for reminder

as for Ryuta
i have the feeling the he will die in one point in the drama. i did not care for him much in ep1 too and i liked Kamiya with Mari but somehow, i found him cute in this ep.

i like the pace of the drama. not slow at all. but i want to see them fall in love soon. 8)

vella

Post by vella » Nov 1st, '10, 14:28

It is very hard to wait for the English sub...huhu. It's getting interesting even when I don't understand most of what they said

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Nov 1st, '10, 14:51

Go to viikii. It's subbed there.

And yes, Issy I share that feeling. I feel we'll get to see some tragedy and angst in the next few eps... Can't wait for ep3!!

emmy21

Post by emmy21 » Nov 1st, '10, 19:35

For those who are very impatient (like me!), a low quality version can be seen on pandora.tv.

http://channel.pandora.tv/channel/video ... d=39868016

Ep 3 was good... for those who don't mind spoilers, the overall gist based on what i could catch is below:
Kengo and Risa register their marriage and Risa moves in with them.

Risa's brother tries looking for her at the soapland, but is told by the boss that Risa has paid off her debt and has quit. He finds a ticket to the aquarium in Risa's room and tracks down Kengo.

Maria finds out that Ryota's sister was supposed to be his donor, but she couldn't as she became pregnant. As such he has to wait for a donor. I didn't catch all of it but I think Maria starts to realise that she needs a transplant too and could be in the same fate.

Later, Risa undergoes the testing and is found to be a potential donor match. Kamiya sensei drops by to check on Maria, and finds out that Kengo's fiancee is called Minako and is someone else instead.
I really like the pace and although the mood is heavy and serious, it doesn't feel depressing. Am loving the scenes with Kengo and Risa. And I think Risa is beginning to have some feelings for Kengo.
I think my favourite part was at the end of the interview, when Kamiya casually asked how Kengo and Risa met, and Risa suddenly says that they met while scuba diving and there were dophins swimming with them. She looked different at that moment, like she actually wanted to believe that was her life. The scene where Kengo helps colour Risa's hair was really cute too.
Urgh, going by next week's trailer, there's going to be a lot of Goro (Risa's brother) in it. Still I can't wait to see the next ep!

Oh and the Kobukuro song 'Ryusei' is just :wub:

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Nov 1st, '10, 20:41

Hm thx for that link, but I want Takenouchi in HD ;) gonna wait a little longer...
I also like the theme song, guess it was especially written for the series, right?
Here's my attempt at a translation of ryuusei and here's the song:

Issy

Post by Issy » Nov 1st, '10, 22:57

how convenient for the writer to have
Risa be the perfect donor for Mari. as i wrote earlier, it's just unrealistic to turn out like this. but hey, this is fiction and not real life but in stories like this, sometime fiction needs to match up with real life fact. it's kind of playing with viewer's intelligence.
as story progress, i get the feeling that kengo does not know the meaning of the word love. maybe this is intentional here so in future eps he gets to understand it for real and experience real love. the same thing apply to Risa too. well, more or less.
need to watch ep3.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Nov 1st, '10, 23:23

Hm it sure is convenient...but
at least he knew her type was O which means she could theoretically donate to all other blood types, right? Also her weight and stature are pretty similar. So i guess it only came down to the cross matching test...Or am I mixing things up here?

I think they said that at the press conference, that both don't believe in love but do find an unexceptional one in eachother. I also remember something about a dark secret Kengo's holding which he wants to keep hidden at all cost...but I'm too tired to look it up now. Will look for it 2morrow^^

Issy

Post by Issy » Nov 1st, '10, 23:29

:P
cross matching is the most important factor. weight and hight has no effect. blood type also is very important.

emmy21

Post by emmy21 » Nov 2nd, '10, 16:44

arakira, thanks for the song and translation! I've played the song over and over all day. Its really lovely. :)

Issy, yeah it is too easy that Risa is found compatible as a donor, but I guess otherwise that would be the end of the story.
Hmm.. does anyone think that maybe the secret Kengo is trying to protect is that Kengo and Maria are adopted, but Maria doesn't know about it? Both of them are O blood types and their mum is A. While that is possible, they also seem to have very few relatives, and had to approach their relatives by marriage to be donors. And the drama seems to portray the family as really warm and loving, more so than a typical family?

Lol.. I could be completely wrong though. Anyone has other guesses?

Issy

Post by Issy » Nov 2nd, '10, 17:00

@emmy21
wow, that is one very good speculation. i actually think that you might be right.

ps. your ava brings back old memories :P

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Nov 2nd, '10, 20:27

@emmy21 Yes, a really good one. Might well be true. I thought.
maybe something about their father, like having killed him in an acident cause I read something about a "dark" secret, so I figured he must have done a bad thing...
but emmy's sounds more believable...

emmy21

Post by emmy21 » Nov 2nd, '10, 23:39

Hi Issy, arakira!
I'm just really guessing, but I agree that its probably something to do with their family. Has anything been mentioned about their dad yet?

xploring

Post by xploring » Nov 3rd, '10, 09:47

Just watched episode 3, this is getting better and better. The story starts here, hope it will be a good one. Both of the leads have been very good. When they were talking about nagareboshi, it made me think that
there will not be a happy ending. Gave me the feeling that Risa will disappear/go away at the end. With Kengo's secret, I thought it is the fact that Risa is a bought donor. Never occurred to me that he has another, although emmy's guess sounds plausible too. Bara no nai Hanaya had a similar twist and that was very successful.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Nov 4th, '10, 14:30

A friend reminded me that the aunt in ep2 was saying something about Maria but got stopped by her husband so I guess there is some secret about her.

xploring. I hope you're not right^^ I want to see some fluffy happy ending...after lots of hardships, obstacles and difficult decisions I'd love to have a happy end (must be my autumn mood^^)

emmy21

Post by emmy21 » Nov 4th, '10, 17:18

arakira, I didn't catch that part earlier! Just rewatched it..
The aunt was saying something about the obligation to help Maria, before her husband stopped her. Perhaps she was going to blurt out that that they don't really have any obligation to help as Maria is not a blood relative?

Hmm.. if thats the case, then maybe only Maria is adopted?
xploring, I initially thought the same too. But arakira's comment earlier about Kengo's secret made me think a bit more. I could be thinking too much though. However, Bara no Nai Hanaya was really good, so I wouldn't mind if there were some twists in Nagareboshi too.

i'm hoping for a happy ending too. I like them as a couple, so I hope nobody dies in the end. Anyway don't think they would want to scare people off donating their organs since Japan is already donor scarce?

Anyway I finally watched this in HD. The ending part of the trailer for ep 4! Things are going to get interesting! :P

route242

Post by route242 » Nov 8th, '10, 08:43

Hello. I really like this series. I have a question for the people who saw episode 3. Risa who has orange hair, decided to dye to brown/black before the interview. Why is that? Do they look down the girl with orange hair. I noticed that there are Japanese with dark skin with orange hair. Are they name for these types of women? I always thought Japanese women want to be white skin as possible

noshadow31

Post by noshadow31 » Nov 8th, '10, 08:55

Yes orange hair doesn't look the part of a wife in japanese society :P
It's very considerate of Risa to dye her hair. She's a sweet girl, isn't she? :D

I believe the wild-looking japanese girls you described are called ko-gal.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Nov 8th, '10, 08:57

route242 wrote:Hello. I really like this series. I have a question for the people who saw episode 3. Risa who has orange hair, decided to dye to brown/black before the interview. Why is that?
Absolutely just my opinion,
as far as I know light-brown color haired girls has the image of "gyaru" / gal type: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyaru

While the prim and proper girls who works in normal companies in Japan usually dyes their hair dark brown.
Risa is suppose to be married to Kengo who is a prim and proper guy. So to make their marriage look more believable, Risa decided to change her image as a prim and proper girl.
I don't think they look down on light-colored haired people at all, though. It just depends on the situation.

route242 wrote:Do they look down the girl with orange hair. I noticed that there are Japanese with dark skin with orange hair. Are they name for these types of women? I always thought Japanese women want to be white skin as possible
This might be what you mean: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganguro

As for Risa, one of Kengo's co-worker described her as the "Kuri-onee" type. I still don't understand that term, it must be a new term XD If anyone can explain, yoroshikuu~~
But I'm guessing probably it's related to the downtown type of girl who speaks in slang?

If you understand Japanese, you can immediately notice that the way Risa speaks, is ...well, totally not the prim and proper type.
I like how Risa and her brother says, "Shiranai kanji?"(he/she doesn't know?)... that's a slang I rarely heard :roll

noshadow31

Post by noshadow31 » Nov 8th, '10, 09:05

Oh yes! Ganguro! I was trying to think of this word but came up with a Ko-gal instead? ^^;;

The aquariam people call her clione. It's like a sea slug. look it up. it looks pretty/creepy at the same time. ^^;;

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Nov 8th, '10, 09:23

noshadow31 wrote:The aquariam people call her clione. It's like a sea slug. look it up. it looks pretty/creepy at the same time. ^^;;
Ah! so its an English word! Thanks!

I wonder why the co-worker would say she looks like a clione? XD

emmy21

Post by emmy21 » Nov 8th, '10, 12:18

My dictionary said kurione is a sea butterfly or sea angel. So I just kinda thought it was a complimentary term. Sort of like calling her an angel from the sea since the first time they saw her she was on the other side of the aquarium glass. LOL.

And yes, it was very thoughtful of her to colour her hair dark and also change her dressing for the interview.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Nov 8th, '10, 18:32

Yes, I also think clione is a 'sea angel', like a pretty but exotic creature. I thought it was a compliment, calling her clione-neechan or maybe it was clionechan?

And I agree, she talks pretty downright rude at times, I especially noticed towards Kengo's mum. She's not behaving polite as someone would expected to be when staying at a stranger's home - I mean we know why, the contract and everything- but it still must be hard for the mother...

But I also think she's nothing like a gyaru (thanks for the wiki links, never expected to find explanations for those sub-types there) - I miss the circle of gal's around her... and much less a ganguro (not tan, tame fashion)
Rather I think she used to colour it like that cause of work and cause she felt nothing like a prim and proper gal ;)

emmy21

Post by emmy21 » Nov 9th, '10, 15:41

Just watched ep 4.

About Maria...
"If your Dad and that person were still alive, perhaps they would be able to help Maria?"

That's what the mum Kazuko said. Maria is supposed to be 17 years old now. I guess this woman is the mum of Maria? Maybe the dad had a mistress but she (and the dad?) died when Maria was very young? The trailers for the next ep also show Kengo visiting the grave of someone who died in 1995, and Kazuko looking at a photo (with burnt edges) of a couple with a little kid.

Then there's also the part in the hospital while chatting with Risa, that Maria says she was born in Yamanashi and she's, like Risa, is also alone without family.
Anyway ep 4 was rather solemn overall, although there were some sweet moments..
I love the supermarket scenes! How sweet of Risa to want to cook something the mum likes. And the cute way Risa asked Kengo to choose the nail stickers.

Also thought the way Risa answered Kamiya Sensei's questions was very genuine and convincing. Really felt that she wanted to help because of how much Kengo cared for Maria.

Was also a bit taken aback by how protective Kengo was of Risa in front of the evil brother.

Now the annoying part.. URGH... Risa's brother is such an ass. He is just totally creepy and useless. Doesn't help that he's played by Goro whom I've never liked.

As for the next episode, looks like Maria runs away with Ryota and doesn't want to have the op? And Kengo is telling more people that he is married now? Thought he wanted to keep things secret. Hmm...
Oh, and the ratings went up! :cheers:

ep 1 - 13.6%
ep 2 - 14.2%
ep 3 - 13.7%
ep 4 - 15.0%
(Source: Japanese wiki)
Last edited by emmy21 on Nov 9th, '10, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.

xploring

Post by xploring » Nov 9th, '10, 15:59

emmy21 wrote:Just watched ep 4.

About Maria...
"If your Dad and that person were still alive, perhaps they would be able to help Maria?"

That's what the mum Kazuko said. The trailers for the next ep also show Kengo visiting the grave of a woman who died in 1995, and Kazuko looking a photo (with burnt edges) of a couple with a little kid. Maria is supposed to be 17 years old now. I guess this woman is the mum of Maria? Maybe the dad had a mistress but she (and the dad?) died when Maria was very young?

Then there's also the part in the hospital while chatting with Risa, that Maria says she was born in Yamanashi and she's, like Risa, is also alone without family.
Yeah, that's what I thought too when I was watching.

Almost everything felt right in episode 4 again. And even though I don't feel very strongly about it, I am pleasantly surprised by the quality of this drama.
Risa seemed to mask her true feelings by appearing callous or flippant. I like the scene of her doing nails for Maria. Ueto Aya was really good in showing some of the subtleties of Risa, I thought.

Risa's brother is getting on my nerve too, wanted to skip ahead every time he was on screen. He doesn't seem to have much purpose other than making Risa and Kengo's lives difficult, which I don't like.

emmy21

Post by emmy21 » Nov 9th, '10, 16:05

Opps, sorry I edited my post a little. Wasn't sure if the name on the gravestone is a male or female after all? Kensuke Mizuno...
Yes I agree with you about Risa. I think she is a genuine person at heart, but just doesn't know how to express herself and show it.

Exactly, I thought I read earlier that Goro said his role was a brother who used to be very caring, but turned bad due to his gambling habits. However, he seems to be deliberately making life difficult to RIsa. Wish he would just disappear too. If he needs cash, he should sell his car. ARGH.

Oh and this is totally irrelevant, but when Kamiya sensei was telling the nurse isn't is just amazing that Kengo could break up with his fiancee, and get married to someone else so soon, I just thought, what's there to be so surprised about. He's Takenouchi Yutaka! Who wouldn't want to marry him. LOL.

Issy

Post by Issy » Nov 9th, '10, 17:03

just finished watching ep4
about Maria
not so sure about her being a real sister to kengo now. Kensuke Mizuno sounds like a man's name to me and not a woman's name. of course i can be wrong in this but the grave scenes making me so confused. Maria even said that she also does not have a family just like Risa. this means she knows the whole truth so she won't be saying this if she was a daughter of kengo's dad and another woman because at the end of the day, Kengo is still her brother. so confused right now.
and i still don't know the reason why
Minako left Kengo and decided not to marry him? remember something about the surgery from ep1. was it because she was not the suitable donor to Maria? but if so, they still had some plans for Maria's help and that's why they are so upset when Minako decided not to go through wedding.
and I do think that is a bit over exaggeration from from Maria's part
when she found out that Kengo and Minako's wedding is off and he instead has married Risa instead. maybe she is feeling guilty over the fact that her brother is throwing away his supposed happiness for her sake? atleast it did not feel like this. but maybe that's Maria's point of view. still, i think it is a bit over the top.
and Risa's brother really starting to annoy me more than i can tolerate too. i can see all problems that will be following Risa and Kengo's way just because of him.

but i LOVED all those sweet moments between Risa and Kengo and you can feel that their romance is already starting to grow deeper. even the way they talk to each other is with more emotions. i seriously can't wait for them to fall in love more and more. we go 6 more eps.

and somehow i have changed ship. Ryuta x Maria pairing is very cute. I think Maria is developing some feelings for Ryuta and it is very obvious. i just hope that no tragic ending be on their way but somehow i have feelings that it be very likly. :-(

xploring

Post by xploring » Nov 10th, '10, 00:05

Issy wrote: and i still don't know the reason why
Minako left Kengo and decided not to marry him? remember something about the surgery from ep1. was it because she was not the suitable donor to Maria? but if so, they still had some plans for Maria's help and that's why they are so upset when Minako decided not to go through wedding.
I think it's the guilt and relief she felt when she found out that she didn't want to be a donor herself. Her parents opposed and she was relieved at having a reason to opt out. It would be hard for her to be married with Kengo yet live with her decision of not saving Maria.

Maria is probably Kengo's half-brother, or adopted from Kengo's father's friend. That would be my best guess at the moment.
Forgot to mention this before, the two times when Risa
said Kengo was lying made me think. I thought he probably meant what he said the first time. The second time he probably wanted to get her away from the clutches of her brother. It's just that Risa's defence mechanism doesn't allow her to hope/expect much. I also like the scene when Kengo said to Risa, "let's go home together." Was actually wishing for him to say that just before. ^^

yuta_rule

Post by yuta_rule » Nov 10th, '10, 00:37

i'm so loving this drama! didn't quite expect Takenouchi Yutaka and Ueto Aya to have such awesome chemistry. I think Yutaka mentioned in an interview that Nagareboshi is atypical of getsu9 because of the rather humble & toned down storyline. The first episode's rating wasn't fantastic, but I hope it's one of those dramas that stick, and build viewership base slowly but steadily! Hoorah to the ratings for ep4, hope the increase continues.

Anyone loved that scene
where Kengo ate the pumpkin cooked by Risa?
So many small but heartwarming scenes....

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Nov 10th, '10, 07:32

Issy wrote:just finished watching ep4
about Maria
not so sure about her being a real sister to kengo now. Kensuke Mizuno sounds like a man's name to me and not a woman's name. of course i can be wrong in this but the grave scenes making me so confused. Maria even said that she also does not have a family just like Risa. this means she knows the whole truth so she won't be saying this if she was a daughter of kengo's dad and another woman because at the end of the day, Kengo is still her brother. so confused right now.
and somehow i have changed ship. Ryuta x Maria pairing is very cute. I think Maria is developing some feelings for Ryuta and it is very obvious. i just hope that no tragic ending be on their way but somehow i have feelings that it be very likly. :-(
So I finally watched this, too and I agree with xploring
I was thinking the dark secret might be that Kengo or maybe his father had caused an accident in which Kengo's dad and his friend Mizuno who was Maria's Dad died. Cause I think Kengo does feel guilty towards Maria.

I also loved the subtle scenes between Risa and Kengo, like the Pumpkin she cooked and how happy she was when he liked it. Their relationship is progressing in a very toned down and warm way.

I think Kengo reacted so strongly towards the brother because before Risa had told him that she doesn't wanna have any contact to her brother any more, when they were talking outside at night.
And yep, the brother's character is very strange, the caring for his sister must be a very deep down inside one, there's nothing showing, apart from trying to keep her at his side. But really what caring brother could make his sister slave in a brothel for him?? and yes. what 100mil new debt while driving that red sports car?? :cussing: :lol

About Minako, I do understand about the relieve and guilt feeling but somehow that whole break up did come too clean and subdued. Also from Kengo's side...no anger, just resignation? I mean come on, they had set the date and everything. Also I wonder how M will react once she learns about Risa and the marriage . . .

And Issy, I'm in that ship with you, I found the boy a rather week-just a filler- character but the two of them are cute. I liked how Mariachan got jealous at her friend and that scarf scene . . .I only hope they won't make him die!!! Preview with him in bed made me worry. . .

kennetth

Post by kennetth » Nov 10th, '10, 11:59

I can't wait to watch again these drama episodes! :-)

shioki

Post by shioki » Nov 10th, '10, 12:45

This is an unexpectedly refreshing drama. I think Maria
was really sad because she wasn't informed. After all, she made that gift for their marriage. And the donor thing just made things worse.

When the mother said お父さんと あの人が 生きてたら マリアを 助けられたのかしら, I think Kengo and Maria shared the same father, but Maria's mother might be ano hito. That would explain why the relatives was hesitant to donate.

Anyway, Yutaka was really cool when he said "She's my wife. Stop pestering her." And her brother was really a pain. I wish the debt collectors could do something so he doesn't appear anymore.

emmy21

Post by emmy21 » Nov 10th, '10, 15:38

xploring wrote:Forgot to mention this before, the two times when Risa
said Kengo was lying made me think. I thought he probably meant what he said the first time. The second time he probably wanted to get her away from the clutches of her brother. It's just that Risa's defence mechanism doesn't allow her to hope/expect much. I also like the scene when Kengo said to Risa, "let's go home together." Was actually wishing for him to say that just before. ^^
I think Kengo meant it the first time too! I hope he does bring her scuba diving in Okinawa after all. I loved that scene where Kengo asked her to go back together as well. Thought Ueto Aya acted quite well there. When Kengo called her name, you could see her thoughts on her face, somewhat hopeful, confused, trying not to expect too much. But when she finally turned, her face was back to her usual inscrutable expression.
Regarding Kengo and Minako
I agree too that Minako broke up with Kengo out of guilt. As for Kengo, I think he probably didn't know what to do, and was too worried about Maria. Then soon after he saved Risa so he couldn't possibly still get married to Minako since I assume their wedding date is approaching. I don't think he's unfeeling or didn't love Minako. He seems not very good with women and doesn't know to express himself? After all Maria is always teasing him and she even called him a "muda ni ikemen" brother (good looking but wasted on him).
Yeah, things are getting a bit confusing about Maria's background...
I still think she should be Kengo's half sister but the pieces don't fit in. As for why she is over reacting, its probably the combination of the shock that she needs a transplant, plus the fact that her brother is married to someone else. Could also be cos of Ryota? His condition is more serious and yet he doesn't have a donor. Anyway I don't have a good feeling about Ryota getting better. Think he may be used as the wake-up call for Maria to realise how seriously ill she could get and thus agree to the transplant operation.

Issy

Post by Issy » Nov 16th, '10, 22:33

Maria is Kengo's
half sister. i also don't know why all these mystery about it though.
ep5 was good enough but we got to half way through so we should expect some hard times for our loved characters.
Maria's attitude and behaviour is still annoying me. but i am loving every scenes with Risa and Kengo. my god, you could feel their love gradually building up. specially from Risa's side. she is falling in love him more and more every day and that was what her brother discovered when he saw their photo together.
same thing with Kengo. i loved the way he told his ex-fiance that they are married. with such firm tone of voice that had no regrets.
so please, just give me more romantic Kengo x Risa times that i am dying to see.

and my god, Risa's brother is up to no good again. it seems that he wants to blackmail Kengo for paying Risa's debt and use it against them to get more money of him.:cussing:

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Nov 16th, '10, 23:13

WOW, this episode was so intense, almost a bit over the top but still vey good!!
Maria is his half sister, right, his dad left them and had her with another woman but they died in a fire it seems. They didn't tell her but she found out back in middle school...

Apart from what Issy said about their love growing and the wonderful chemistry between the leads, I also love the Ryota/Maria pairing. They were too cute together and I really really hope they won't let him die!!

The brother is just too much, I started thinking he's a real psycho...He just needs her to pay for his debt :cussing: And in the preview he's acting all niichan-like, even telling her that he'll safe her so she won't have to sell her liver...and Maria seems to find out Kengo paid Risa for the donation. Poor girl, I do understand she feels guilty about everything...

yuizaki_libra

Post by yuizaki_libra » Nov 17th, '10, 01:36

Ep 5 was good, but it got me dislike Maria a little more.
The suicide scene was too over the top. I would have done what Risa had done in that situation
So far I have seen a lot of exaggerations in this drama, like the psychotic brother and the marriage contract, which are the bone of the story. The only normal thing is the development in Risa-Kengo's relationship. It's quite slow, but it's the only believable thing to me. Like they don't jump right to the oh-I-just-realized-I-love-her-so-much conclusion; things are subtle and gradual, which makes me anticipate every episode. Never noticed much about Ueto Aya before, but I'm loving her in this drama. Takenouchi Yutaka is still that actor I loved after watching Koori no Sekai.

emmy21

Post by emmy21 » Nov 17th, '10, 08:31

Episode 5 was good, but a tad melodramatic...
I agree with Issy and Yuzaki about Maria. She was really acting like a spoilt child. Even the way she treated Ryota, throwing a fit and asking him why he didn't ask why she was upset, was just childish. In comparison, I really like Ryota's character. He's in an even worse situation yet is mature and positive. Maria is so doted on by Kengo and his mum, and Kengo has gone to such an extent to find her a donor, yet she gets upset that he didn't tell her about her condition and acts impulsively causing everyone so much trouble.

As for the dad, Kengo also said that he chased his dad out of the house as he couldn't forgive him for the affair. And he'd never visited his dad's grave. I guess Okada is the mum's maiden surname which they probably changed to after the affair.

Risa's brother is scum again, and Iooks like he will blackmail Kengo. When looking at the photos, he seems to realise that Risa likes Kengo. I wonder if that would change his mind abt causing trouble, but perhaps not since he had no qualms ruining her relationship with her other boyfriend.

Love the Risa-Kengo moments. Risa is really falling in love with him. Perhaps Kengo is starting to care for her too? I liked how firmly he told Minako he was married. No excuses or explanation, just that he's married. And he doesn't seem to have any more feeling for Minako when he told Risa that she's no longer his girlfriend?
The trailer for ep 6...
Maria refuses to have the transplant and tells Kamiya sensei that Risa was paid to be a donor. Shuuichi introduces himself as Risa's brother to Kengo's mum, and asks her not to let Risa be a donor. Risa goes to find Minako and hopes that she will persuade Maria to undergo the transplant if Minako and Kengo get back together after the operation. Meanwhile, Ryota's condition takes a sudden turn for the worse, but there is no brain-dead donor available....

ainhoa

Post by ainhoa » Nov 18th, '10, 11:49

mm Goro's so sexy in this drama.

xploring

Post by xploring » Nov 21st, '10, 13:08

Just watched episode 5, although it felt a little too much at the end, I didn't really find Maria annoying.
Seems quite believable for someone who has just found out she had a terminal illness. I like the quiet tone and slice of life feel of some of the scenes, but it didn't feel to me that Risa is in love with Kengo yet. The scenes when Kengo and Kengo's mother told their stories, made me think now what they felt back then and what went through their minds during all these years...

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Nov 21st, '10, 13:39

xploring wrote:Just watched episode 5, although it felt a little too much at the end, I didn't really find Maria annoying.
Seems quite believable for someone who has just found out she had a terminal illness. I like the quiet tone and slice of life feel of some of the scenes, but it didn't feel to me that Risa is in love with Kengo yet. The scenes when Kengo and Kengo's mother told their stories, made me think now what they felt back then and what went through their minds during all these years...
Yep, I think so, too.
When the mum said she wanted to kill herself at the same spot, cause she couldn't accept Maria and love her as much as Kengo, I really teared up. And for Kengo to chase his own father away who then died in a fire really must have been hard on him ever since.

And I do understand Maria. She knew she wasn't her mom's child but couldn't speak about it for years, she feels like she's only a bother to everybody and at the same time she must be just a child that's very scared. Who wouldn't be?!

I though Risa is falling for Kengo. She likes him a lot already and I think you can see how she actually wants to become a part of that family. Like the scenes at the table. When she told Kengo that he should divorce her quickly after the donation and go back to Minako and he said he wouldn't cause she's no longer his girlfriend, I just loved her face. Same with her disappointment when he told her at the lake that it was a family matter and she shouldn't get involved... Raelly think Ueto is doing a great job here!
Can't wait for tomorrows episode. As issy said, guess our main couple is up for some serious trouble . . . :whistling: