[Discussion] Himitsu (Sasaki Kuranosuke, Shida Mirai)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.

Do you think it’s an interesting concept for a love story?

Yes!
60%
No, it's so weird!
40%

Total votes: 43

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Dec 21st, '10, 03:47

^ But older people can be just as naive tooo, so I don't like thinking that only young people are and older people aren't. Know too many older people who are too old to be doing what they are doing >_>

I wonder if this will have a SP?

mikilove13
Fansubber
Fansubber
United States of America

Post by mikilove13 » Dec 21st, '10, 04:45

I doubt it will have one. The last episode kind of felt like a definite end to the show.

HunJP

Post by HunJP » Jan 3rd, '11, 18:18

After finishing the series the end was obvious. However there are 2 questions cannot be answered:
I think it's obvious that Monami never returned into her body. Naoko planned this behaviour because she thought that will be less painful for Heisuke and for her also. She also had to train herself for this life-long role.

Q's are:

1. Why did she took the ring to a friend of Heisuke to make a new ring from its material? Deep in her mind she wanted to let Heiseke know that she IS Naoko not Monami? I think that makes sense...

2. Why was she so sad looking at the wedding? Seemed that she pressed herself to marry somebody.

fujitak

Post by fujitak » Jan 3rd, '11, 20:57

at first i was not interested by this drama but after the 2 first episodes it was one of my top drama for 2010 !!
i believed too that Naoko acted like Monami order to let Heisuke move forward.
But i don't get it why she lets Heisuke knows about the ring. It's like a SOS : "i'm Naoko but i want to live for monami".
i don't like drama ends like that with opened end...too sad !!!

japonaliya

Post by japonaliya » Mar 7th, '11, 06:39

SSpiegel wrote:Well, it's been a few days since I watched the finale. I dunno, I have to say I didn't really like it.
I know they wanted to leave us hanging about whether it was Monami or Naoko in the end, but to me it just failed. They should've been much more vague. It's soooo obviously Naoko, it makes me wonder if Monami ever came back at all. She was probably faking it just to make it easier for them to separate. After all, they made it pretty clear that everytime the other one was awake, the other one was "sleeping", and thus didn't know anything that was going on. They shared their knowledge through letters, but there's a limit to that. One time Heisuke showed Monami her report card, and there you could see how her grades were much better than before. And leaving recipes is a good start, but you don't suddenly become a good cook with just that. I dunno, I just don't buy it. I don't see how Naoko's personality would've integrated with Monami's, since they were so separate before. And well, then the ending sealed it for me. Monami was a bright personality. I just don't see how she would've been that gloomy on her wedding day.
I liked the drama a lot, but I just didn't feel the ending. I didn't really care much what the ending was, but at least they could've executed it better.
SPOILERS-SPOILERS-SPOILERS!!!!!!!

Everything you say above is true...but you miss the point...

Life for both of them was a living hell. At first, Naoko wanted to be Heisuke wife, but when she realized that it was impossible to have a husband-wife relationship, she felt trapped, and wanted to continue on as her daughter, for the sake of both of them.
When Heisuke started to call her Monami chan, she then formed a plan to slowly ween Heisuke away from her, his wife, and come to accept her as Monami.
Naoko realized that the ONLY way to do this was to pretend to be Monami again.

In a way, since they were both stuck in limbo, by giving up her true identity, they both could move on.

THIS was the REAL secret...not the fact that they were husband and wife, but the "secret" that she NEVER was her daughter. all the waking and sleeping change of personalities were an act to have Heisuke accept her as Monami more and more...and it worked. But the happy family became too much of an everyday burden, and she knew she had to make Heisuke think that she, "Naoko" was going away forever.

At first when Heisuke understands that Monami was not really there, but it was his wife all the time, he is overcome with jealousy and betrayal. When he becomes resigned to the fact that he must let Naoko go or he she would effectively die twice, he let all his emotions out by hitting the groom, as a way of defending his and Naoko's honor, but also as a final act as a husband.

Of course Naoko was not very happy either because it WAS a betrayal of sorts, but one that she had the resolve to go through with for both their sakes.
By taking off his wedding ring, Heisuke, also becomes "free" to live again.

Not a really happy ending at all, and if I am right, the first time Shida san's films/drama ended on such a sad-bittersweet note.
The ending was not vague at all, Naoko was Naoko all the time, there was never a Monami.

The only criticism I have with the plot, was that at least in the American version, when the mother reached out to her daughter in the ICU as the daughter was dying, and transferred her "soul" to keep her alive...In this version, it is not clear WHY the soul transference took place. In the American version it was clearly sacrifice on the part of the mother.

I have been thinking of the implications of this drama for days now, and it still haunts me...

Misato-san

Post by Misato-san » Mar 7th, '11, 13:14

the real problem to me is not American version vs Japanese one, but drama vs book.
I read the original Higashino Keigo book and it is so much better than the drama because the psychological development of the story it's really something in it.
Monami dies when she's in elementary school, so Naoko has YEARS to adjust herself to her new condition, to deal with the fact she has a body of a young girl but she isn't one
Lots of things happen in the book because of this huge difference, so when you reach the final stage of the story you know both emotions from Heisuke and Naoko. Also, Naoko has deeper thoughts about her problem and works harder to sort them out.

In the jdrama is all so... fluffy... Naoko hasn't a definite personality as in the book.
So to me it was harder to listen at her heart and it was sad also... because the book is so good...

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Mar 7th, '11, 13:20

japonaliya wrote:
SSpiegel wrote:Well, it's been a few days since I watched the finale. I dunno, I have to say I didn't really like it.
I know they wanted to leave us hanging about whether it was Monami or Naoko in the end, but to me it just failed. They should've been much more vague. It's soooo obviously Naoko, it makes me wonder if Monami ever came back at all. She was probably faking it just to make it easier for them to separate. After all, they made it pretty clear that everytime the other one was awake, the other one was "sleeping", and thus didn't know anything that was going on. They shared their knowledge through letters, but there's a limit to that. One time Heisuke showed Monami her report card, and there you could see how her grades were much better than before. And leaving recipes is a good start, but you don't suddenly become a good cook with just that. I dunno, I just don't buy it. I don't see how Naoko's personality would've integrated with Monami's, since they were so separate before. And well, then the ending sealed it for me. Monami was a bright personality. I just don't see how she would've been that gloomy on her wedding day.
I liked the drama a lot, but I just didn't feel the ending. I didn't really care much what the ending was, but at least they could've executed it better.
SPOILERS-SPOILERS-SPOILERS!!!!!!!

Everything you say above is true...but you miss the point...
I don't think I do. I mean, it's been forever since I watched this, so I can't really remember the exact feeling I had then, but I do remember why I said what I said. There are people even in this thread who thought Monami was really back. That fact alone makes me think that they didn't make the ending clear enough. So if they wanted us to think it was Naoko all along, they failed. But clearly, even though it's obvious to others what happened, the ending was meant to look a little vague. If they really wanted to keep us thinking, they should've made it more vague. If that makes any sense to anyone... :)

japonaliya

Post by japonaliya » Mar 7th, '11, 16:53

No..I still think the ending is not vague at all...Only that they both looks so resigned and unhappy.

BTW...about the book (which I intend to read) someone said in a earlier post that in the book, Momami is 11 at the time of the accident. If true, then this would have serious implications when Naoko realizes she is in Monami's body...
It is one thing for her to want to be physical with her husband, but with a teenager's body, but with the body of a child, how does THAT workout?

If the book implies that nothing physical was attempted until years after the accident, then what must Naoko been going through as an elementary school kid with the knowledge of an adult?

Misato-san

Post by Misato-san » Mar 8th, '11, 01:25

the physical part of the story is so much better and heavy in the book for both characters.

I don't know if you want spoilers about this but Higashino Keigo knows how to work this out for sure, I can assure you.

In the drama instead it's not so clear to the scriptwriter how to handle the situation... the
sexual part
in episode 8 to me was a biiiiiiiiiiiiig miss of the script because it hadn't a real point... plus the
suicide one
was so out of character for Naoko... it made me really unwilling to watch the final part of the drama.

dodoraemon

Post by dodoraemon » Mar 8th, '11, 07:51

Just ended. Great plot, development and acting.

And I think que ending is vague enough.
Monami's behavior at school, while cooking or recording videos, and the way of speaking seem so genuine to me that I can't accept it as a fake. Letter exchanges and the long sleeping switch would be inconvenient as an acting scene too. She even sleeps on the coach when Heisuke is not there. And it would be too hard to fake it all over 8 years while living in the same house.

On the other hand, why would Monami merge rings and hide it from Heisuke? And why did she invite Heisuke, as Monami, to go to Yokohama Park on December 23rd? And her eyes when Fumina says that she was beautifu before wedding were sad...

So, I think there's room for discussion =)

I still don't know which one I believe.
sorry the poor english.[/spoiler]

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Mar 8th, '11, 14:55

^ Well, my point exactly.
For me it was obvious that Monami was never there, and that's how it ended for me. But I do understand that there was some space for another interpretation, and I get it if others think it's Monami there in the end.

Plus
what pissed me off about the ending was that Naoko could've kept her act till the end. Why keep pretending for years, taking Monami's life as her own, and then just give up in the end? She could've at least get mad at Heisuke or pretend to be upset, or pick his own friggin husband off the floor when he got hit. She broke Heisuke's heart, unnecessarily.

japonaliya

Post by japonaliya » Mar 10th, '11, 07:30

HunJP wrote:After finishing the series the end was obvious. However there are 2 questions cannot be answered:
I think it's obvious that Monami never returned into her body. Naoko planned this behaviour because she thought that will be less painful for Heisuke and for her also. She also had to train herself for this life-long role.

Q's are:

1. Why did she took the ring to a friend of Heisuke to make a new ring from its material? Deep in her mind she wanted to let Heiseke know that she IS Naoko not Monami? I think that makes sense...

2. Why was she so sad looking at the wedding? Seemed that she pressed herself to marry somebody.
A. 1. She was still in love with Heisuke, though to live with him the way they had been would be another death sentence for her.
Combining the rings was a way to preserve her former marriage in some way.

A. 2 Though she HAD to do what she did for both of them to move on, she wasn't happy about it, esp. now that Heisuke knew the truth, and the pretense of "being" Momani to spare her husband the grief, and humiliation did not work out as she had planned.

dauntlas

Post by dauntlas » Mar 14th, '11, 05:59

This drama felt like a Greek Tragedy. None of the characters were "bad guys" nor did I think any of them did anything underhanded. i took a couple things from it (without getting into spoilers)... A lot of heartache can be avoided if you deal (or come up with an understanding) with a situation from the start and people will endure much (or fool themselves) to not hurt the people they love. I felt sorry at one time for every character (except for the neighbor with the diabetic dog ;)).

As far as the story itself and its ending... all you need to know to resolve who the bride really was, is that Naoko/Monami completely understood (and accepted) Hei's actions in the dressing room.
"Monami" would have been just a bit confused.
The greatest tragedy of all was whenever Hei turned away the teacher I kept asking "what the hell are you doing?" lol.
I knew then it couldn't end from him.

dodoraemon

Post by dodoraemon » Mar 14th, '11, 06:13

But I really believe that, for a grown up woman, a "you stole my daughter, you better take care of her" punch would be understandable.

Like male friends punching each other in a friendly way is something really understandable in some circunstances.

dauntlas

Post by dauntlas » Mar 14th, '11, 06:22

I think It MIGHT be understandable to the other guy... even if that was the case, you do the punching sometime before the wedding day. (besides, we already know what was running threw his mind at the time, and it wasn't "you're stealing my daughter". She didn't have a look of "boys will be boys". That was a look of understanding. BTW, that actress was very, very good.

An Example, if I was the doctor friend, I would have punched Hei after seeing the teacher and ask him "what the hell are you doing?"

rangga_ryuuzaki

Post by rangga_ryuuzaki » Mar 14th, '11, 10:41

Misato-san wrote:the real problem to me is not American version vs Japanese one, but drama vs book.
I read the original Higashino Keigo book and it is so much better than the drama because the psychological development of the story it's really something in it.
Monami dies when she's in elementary school, so Naoko has YEARS to adjust herself to her new condition, to deal with the fact she has a body of a young girl but she isn't one
Lots of things happen in the book because of this huge difference, so when you reach the final stage of the story you know both emotions from Heisuke and Naoko. Also, Naoko has deeper thoughts about her problem and works harder to sort them out.

In the jdrama is all so... fluffy... Naoko hasn't a definite personality as in the book.
So to me it was harder to listen at her heart and it was sad also... because the book is so good...
I never know that this dorama is originally taken from the book. Could you tell me what the title of the book?

Misato-san

Post by Misato-san » Mar 14th, '11, 22:10

Himitsu, of course.
By Higashino Keigo.

BBOvenGuy
United States of America

Post by BBOvenGuy » Mar 15th, '11, 01:06

The English translation is called Naoko.

fujitak

Post by fujitak » Aug 25th, '12, 12:40

Is there HDTV 1024x720 for this show? i don't find the files on daddict.