[Discussion] Utsukushii Rinjin (Nakama Yukie, Watabe Atsuro)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
User avatar
nikid
Posts: 873
Joined: Sep 3rd, '09, 00:56
Contact:

Post by nikid » Mar 10th, '11, 20:57

dunno why, but after i watched ep9 i had the feeling that Saki is going to die in the last episode, dont know why, but i just had that thought :P

User avatar
yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mar 29th, '05, 09:52

Post by yanie » Mar 12th, '11, 14:17

After Ep9 a bit convinced that Saki is mentally disturbed :P

User avatar
emma-ba
Posts: 255
Joined: Jan 10th, '09, 14:07
Contact:

Post by emma-ba » Mar 18th, '11, 19:03

I liked the ending!
Eriko got her act together and was pro-active at last. Hooray!

Suddenly all the moments with Rio in, I'm seeing in a different light. All along I thought he'd suddenly spring out and defend Eriko & co from Saki but actually he was having some kind of weird obsessive love thing going on.

That moment when she watched the DVD and you see Saki in the police station, I think that really made the ending for me.

User avatar
nikid
Posts: 873
Joined: Sep 3rd, '09, 00:56
Contact:

Post by nikid » Mar 18th, '11, 23:07

yeah, I liked the ending too. Nothing that I was waiting for, though :P The dvd part was good, nice ending ;)
Really my favorite drama this season

starlight116
Posts: 21
Joined: Sep 16th, '08, 17:51

Post by starlight116 » Mar 21st, '11, 05:33

I have a question Rio was in love with saki? What was saki Motive to be cruel to eriko

User avatar
emma-ba
Posts: 255
Joined: Jan 10th, '09, 14:07
Contact:

Post by emma-ba » Mar 21st, '11, 14:15

^ I think perhaps your comment should be put as a *spoiler*...
Yes, Rio was in love with Saki. He admitted to her that he was.

Saki's motive for targeting Eriko was revealed when Eriko watched the DVD at the end of the last episode. When Shun went missing one year ago everyone thought Shun might have been the boy who drowned. Then the police rushed up and said they'd found him stuck up a tree. The reporters rushed forward and Eriko said "yokatta..." "I'm glad".

Saki saw this broadcast on the tv at the police station where she was in complete misery because she knew it was in fact her child that had drowned. For Saki the meaning of Eriko's words was not just "I'm glad my child is safe" but also "I'm glad that someone else's child drowned, not mine".

At this point Saki's misery was also the 'cause' of Eriko's happiness. So Saki started on her mission to cause Eriko misery in order to try and regain her happiness.

That's how I see it anyway.
Last edited by emma-ba on Mar 21st, '11, 15:49, edited 2 times in total.

starlight116
Posts: 21
Joined: Sep 16th, '08, 17:51

Post by starlight116 » Mar 21st, '11, 15:42

thank you

User avatar
nikid
Posts: 873
Joined: Sep 3rd, '09, 00:56
Contact:

Post by nikid » Mar 21st, '11, 16:54

emma-ba wrote:^ I think perhaps your comment should be put as a *spoiler*...
Yes, Rio was in love with Saki. He admitted to her that he was.

Saki's motive for targeting Eriko was revealed when Eriko watched the DVD at the end of the last episode. When Shun went missing one year ago everyone thought Shun might have been the boy who drowned. Then the police rushed up and said they'd found him stuck up a tree. The reporters rushed forward and Eriko said "yokatta..." "I'm glad".

Saki saw this broadcast on the tv at the police station where she was in complete misery because she knew it was in fact her child that had drowned. For Saki the meaning of Eriko's words was not just "I'm glad my child is safe" but also "I'm glad that someone else's child drowned, not mine".

At this point Saki's misery was also the 'cause' of Eriko's happiness. So Saki started on her mission to cause Eriko misery in order to try and regain her happiness.

That's how I see it anyway.
yup, thats exactly how I see it too :)
Last edited by nikid on Mar 22nd, '11, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
«minah»
Posts: 620
Joined: Jul 30th, '08, 16:17
Location: in a room

Post by «minah» » Mar 22nd, '11, 16:27

emma-ba wrote:^ I think perhaps your comment should be put as a *spoiler*...
Yes, Rio was in love with Saki. He admitted to her that he was.

Saki's motive for targeting Eriko was revealed when Eriko watched the DVD at the end of the last episode. When Shun went missing one year ago everyone thought Shun might have been the boy who drowned. Then the police rushed up and said they'd found him stuck up a tree. The reporters rushed forward and Eriko said "yokatta..." "I'm glad".

Saki saw this broadcast on the tv at the police station where she was in complete misery because she knew it was in fact her child that had drowned. For Saki the meaning of Eriko's words was not just "I'm glad my child is safe" but also "I'm glad that someone else's child drowned, not mine".

At this point Saki's misery was also the 'cause' of Eriko's happiness. So Saki started on her mission to cause Eriko misery in order to try and regain her happiness.

That's how I see it anyway.
But it makes me wonder, if the roles were switched, would Saki have said the same thing too? Would her meaning be similar to what she thought of Eriko's? (Just a hypothetical question ^^;;)
Well I'm waiting for the last eppy. Just saw 9... man they're right. The police doesn't help ^^;;;; But I really feel bad for Eriko because everyone seems to take the situation lightly... or just not empathize with her. Because it can be enough to drive her crazy... and she'll be labeled the crazy one instead of Saki. But when Saki said that when someone is happy, someone else is sad... well... it ticked me off because yeah Eriko felt relieved when finding out Shun was safe, Saki could have applied her own words to herself. Because she's going out to ruin someone else happiness (well pretty much everyone because when crap hits the fan..... no one will be happy) Just when you go out your way to make someone else miserable, end the end everyone will be miserable. I think the show was a bit inconsistent with Shun's attitude toward his mom.... because when she first picked him up from school he was all happy and stuff, then at the end of the episode it was like he pretty much hated her. So I wish he could have had that bitter attitude towards her when he was in his Halloween costume.
I was gonna say something else but I forgot ><
Image

User avatar
emma-ba
Posts: 255
Joined: Jan 10th, '09, 14:07
Contact:

Post by emma-ba » Mar 22nd, '11, 17:13

I know you said it was a hypothetical question but I think you'll find the answer in episode 10 :-)
I don't think it's fair though to apply calm, rational logic to a woman who has in the last few hours just found out her child has drowned. We already know that she's know the most emotionally stable person so the death undoubtedly pushed her over the edge.

Also about Shun, he's just being a fickle kid. It's like at school when children will have massive arguments one day and then the next day they'll be best friends again. Plus Eriko's been told that she has to start treating Shun like he's not a baby anymore but there's Saki who spoils him and has a special room full of toys just for him. He still loves his mother, he's just being a bit bratty.

Again this is just my opinion :-)
[/spoiler]

User avatar
«minah»
Posts: 620
Joined: Jul 30th, '08, 16:17
Location: in a room

Post by «minah» » Mar 22nd, '11, 17:22

emma-ba wrote:I know you said it was a hypothetical question but I think you'll find the answer in episode 10 :-)
I don't think it's fair though to apply calm, rational logic to a woman who has in the last few hours just found out her child has drowned. We already know that she's know the most emotionally stable person so the death undoubtedly pushed her over the edge.

Also about Shun, he's just being a fickle kid. It's like at school when children will have massive arguments one day and then the next day they'll be best friends again. Plus Eriko's been told that she has to start treating Shun like he's not a baby anymore but there's Saki who spoils him and has a special room full of toys just for him. He still loves his mother, he's just being a bit bratty.

Again this is just my opinion :-)
[/spoiler]
Well I wouldn't want them to. But if it were Shun who drowned, I just really wonder how Saki would react and how Eriko would interpret Saki's meaning behind her relief. Not trying to tell Saki to be rational or anything... but really, wouldn't Saki think the same thing? "Glad it was someone else's child and not mine..." Because in the end, we're all selfish. But I still really do wonder how it would be if reversed because they're both similar yet very different. So it'll be interesting to see the two different reactions.
Image

User avatar
emma-ba
Posts: 255
Joined: Jan 10th, '09, 14:07
Contact:

Post by emma-ba » Mar 22nd, '11, 17:25

Sorry I think I put that badly, I'll rephrase it: They don't give you a defintive answer but you get more information about Saki's past which would probably help you in deciding an answer to your question.

User avatar
«minah»
Posts: 620
Joined: Jul 30th, '08, 16:17
Location: in a room

Post by «minah» » Mar 22nd, '11, 17:32

Ah ok ^^ But even so, it would be cool to see an alternative to this whole story (has a drama ever done that? An SP of an alternative telling of a story?)
Image

MiLoDeCaY
Posts: 1
Joined: Sep 8th, '05, 13:03

Let's talk about the ending!

Post by MiLoDeCaY » Mar 27th, '11, 16:04

Hi, I've just finished the show and I would like to hear your viewpoints regarding the show!
No doubt, the whole story's build up towards the ending and the ending itself were awesome. And clearly, the director chose to leave the ending open, which allows the viewers to decipher what is the ending based on what they have absorbed from having watched 10 episodes. But a few moments of the show really left me hanging, and I need to hear your views regarding it.

I was pretty sure she died because she fell off the window head first, and Eriko screamed when she looked down, so she couldnt possibly have had pulled off a trick or whatsoever. Secondly, the position she was lying in the last scene resembles what it ought to look like when she has fallen off a window. And lastly, Eriko mentioned, "From the other world.. Saki called me.." So..

1) What was the hidden meaning behind Saki's gasp at the last moment?
I thought really hard and the only point I can derive was that "It's not the end". But what was it that hasnt ended? If it's not the end then..

2) What exactly does Eriko mean when she said, "But it happened only that one time", and not forgetting she leaked a smile on her face?
Does it mean that she has completely gotten over the whole Saki issue? I dont think that is very likely. Somehow I felt that Saki's character MUST HAVE grown inside her. It is a memory that has etched on her heart, so how is it possible that it "happened only that one time"?

Okay, I better keep it short before you all skip this comment altogether because it was too lengthy and naggy! Waiting eagerly to listen to your point of view!

P.S.: emma-ba, are you a Nakama Yukie fan? If not, just curious why did you choose to sub this drama!

User avatar
emma-ba
Posts: 255
Joined: Jan 10th, '09, 14:07
Contact:

Post by emma-ba » Mar 27th, '11, 16:09

About why I decided to sub this drama. I love mystery dramas and the premise of this one sounded interesting. I really enjoyed the first episode so I decided to try subbing it.

I don't really have any idea who any of the actors in Utsukushii Rinjin were. Even on dramas in my home country I'd struggle to name the actors.
I'm certain she died as it looked like she cut her throat as she fell.

1) What was the hidden meaning behind Saki's gasp at the last moment?
I thought really hard and the only point I can derive was that "It's not the end". But what was it that hasnt ended? If it's not the end then..

I think her gasp was her waking up for the first time in 'the other world'. She did look quite upset though, maybe she's finally realised what's happened or she regrets killing herself but really I think it's up to each viewer on how they interpret it.

2) What exactly does Eriko mean when she said, "But it happened only that one time", and not forgetting she leaked a smile on her face?
Does it mean that she has completely gotten over the whole Saki issue? I dont think that is very likely. Somehow I felt that Saki's character MUST HAVE grown inside her. It is a memory that has etched on her heart, so how is it possible that it "happened only that one time"?

How I see it is Eriko had a dream where Saki called her on the phone but that only happened one time. It could be that Eriko imagines that's where Saki has gone, to a place like the one she described to Eriko earlier when she was in a boat watching fireflies. Eriko then doesn't dream of Saki again probably because she finally feels free of her now that she has died.

User avatar
«minah»
Posts: 620
Joined: Jul 30th, '08, 16:17
Location: in a room

Post by «minah» » Mar 29th, '11, 19:20

Ok finally saw the finale. Is it weird that I was paying more attention to Eriko's hair than usual? Lol I saw an inconsistency with her hair. Her hair looked too neat when she woke up to go to the meeting... then the next scene, it was all flat (sorry I think Eriko's hair has been very interesting since eppy 9) and then when the sun rose... I was like "Wow... really.... 7 hours went by? That was fast) I guess I was meh about the many flashbacks (I hate too many flashbacks... I know it's to help the story but it just reminded me like an anime.)
I have never seen women so calm before being face with murder. I do applaud Eriko finally being honest with her feelings (well, at least toward Saki anyway) because it seems like she deals with phony people anyway... and she herself is one of them. But like, messing with her son was the last straw so I think this drama can somewhat relate to the drama "Mother" because it's a darker, deeper theme of "The dept of a mother's love." It's strange how I still can't call Saki completely crazy yet... because I think there are questions we want answered... How did her son end up at that pond? How did Saki even become like that? How did her feelings become so outrageous? But I think the story was trying to show Saki and Eriko in a opposite light... to sides of the same coin-kinda thing. They both had similar backgrounds with the clinic and such.... but Eriko went to college, got married/pregnant and had a career while Eriko took the housewife route. Saki is more blunt with her emotions (but she can't handle them/ control them for too long) while Eriko is more reserved and can keep her cool a lot longer Saki goes out of her way to make it known she's upset (obviously ^^;;) by setting up this whole scenario while Eriko... doesn't. But the two have a strong bond for their child and express it in different ways.

I don't think it was necessary for Saki's husband to have been married before Saki.... (it really make him seem.. I dunno... but doesn't put him in a great light... he gets around too much and see to get the next best thing when it comes his way) so I wish they did come up with something different for him.

@Emma I think you were right that if I saw this my question might be answered... I don't think the same would happen if reversed. Because Saki is emotionally unstable thinking there's a reason for everything happening (so I don't think Eriko would have the chaotic feelings Saki had). But I do wonder if she would have felt bad if she did feel as though she was relieved it was someone's child who was killed (if going by her personality) I don't think so because she is selfish... so she's insensitive herself
emma-ba wrote:About why I decided to sub this drama. I love mystery dramas and the premise of this one sounded interesting. I really enjoyed the first episode so I decided to try subbing it.

I don't really have any idea who any of the actors in Utsukushii Rinjin were. Even on dramas in my home country I'd struggle to name the actors.
I'm certain she died as it looked like she cut her throat as she fell.

1) What was the hidden meaning behind Saki's gasp at the last moment?
I thought really hard and the only point I can derive was that "It's not the end". But what was it that hasnt ended? If it's not the end then..

I think her gasp was her waking up for the first time in 'the other world'. She did look quite upset though, maybe she's finally realised what's happened or she regrets killing herself but really I think it's up to each viewer on how they interpret it.

2) What exactly does Eriko mean when she said, "But it happened only that one time", and not forgetting she leaked a smile on her face?
Does it mean that she has completely gotten over the whole Saki issue? I dont think that is very likely. Somehow I felt that Saki's character MUST HAVE grown inside her. It is a memory that has etched on her heart, so how is it possible that it "happened only that one time"?

How I see it is Eriko had a dream where Saki called her on the phone but that only happened one time. It could be that Eriko imagines that's where Saki has gone, to a place like the one she described to Eriko earlier when she was in a boat watching fireflies. Eriko then doesn't dream of Saki again probably because she finally feels free of her now that she has died.
Well I don't think she regrets killing herself (if anything, all the stuff she went through... she was still miserable and would want to be with her son on the other side)... but going by many religious beliefs could two things:
maybe she went to hell? Maybe she will be punished for the things she did.
Or maybe she sees her son and is reunited with him.

I think Eriko's dream... I think it was the friendship the two did share. Eriko's first memory of Saki (and probably strongest) was when Saki was telling the story of the fireflies and wiped Eriko's tear. It was a gentle, caressing caring act from a woman she JUST met. So I think Eriko treasure the moments they did share when they were "friends." Eriko is a very trusting person so I don't think that memory of Saki wiping her tear can leave her and I think it left a stronger impression on Eriko than anything else. It was a side of Saki that she only saw once. (doesn't it sound all romantic-y? lol) Eriko did say she hates her so much... but they have a weird knitted connection and share feelings that no one else they know, did. So I think when getting a phone call from Saki from the other side... it could mean that she probably did wish the friendship lasted... and/or really wants Saki's soul to find peace with herself.

This is like the red thread of fate working at its finest.
What bothers me about some of the things in this drama and other dramas... is everyone's "forgetting." I don't think people should forget what happen. Nor do I think they should continue to dwell. But to acknowledge it, understand it, and learn. Because I don't think someone can just "forget" a deceased person... wipe out all memories of them existing or any events that happens that seem regretting. I think it hurts more when you try to forget.... but that's my opinion. Just... don't simply say "forget" but I dunno.. atone... or something... maybe atone is not the right word... but don't forget it is my point. ^^;;
Image

User avatar
antspace
Posts: 1344
Joined: Jul 14th, '08, 06:41
Location: The Netherlands

Post by antspace » Mar 29th, '11, 20:47

I did enjoy the ending though the tempo was kinda off. And yes, too many flashbacks. Still I liked
the standoff between Eriko and Saki. I thought Eriko would really kill Saki, but that would have meant the final piece in the eradication of who Eriko was. Eriko dropping the knife made Saki realise she had lost the game. Eriko had found her strength. She would fight untill the end. Killing Eriko would't be a solution because Shun would never forgive her. There was no way out!
The last scene was weird though. I just can't figure it out!

I thought the direction a bit crude sometimes, but all in all it was a fascinating series with some good acting!

isabelh2o2
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 133
Joined: Jul 11th, '09, 23:48

Post by isabelh2o2 » Apr 12th, '11, 21:51

This drama felt as though it were based on a novel, and some of the story got trimmed. I kept waiting for more about Rio, but was left with hints rather than the complete explanation.
Although he told Saki that he loved her, it felt more like he was the one who really understood how dangerous she was, was afraid of her and would say what he had to to protect -- not himself, but his cat, the one being he really seemed to care about. We see the cat with a bandage on its tail, so probably Saki has harmed it enough to make Rio do what she wants, letting her know when Shun will be at the park with him.

User avatar
emma-ba
Posts: 255
Joined: Jan 10th, '09, 14:07
Contact:

Post by emma-ba » Apr 13th, '11, 11:39

isabelh2o2 wrote:This drama felt as though it were based on a novel, and some of the story got trimmed. I kept waiting for more about Rio, but was left with hints rather than the complete explanation.
Although he told Saki that he loved her, it felt more like he was the one who really understood how dangerous she was, was afraid of her and would say what he had to to protect -- not himself, but his cat, the one being he really seemed to care about. We see the cat with a bandage on its tail, so probably Saki has harmed it enough to make Rio do what she wants, letting her know when Shun will be at the park with him.
I think an important part in their interaction was when Saki was asking him about his mother, whilst they were alone in the cafe together. Maybe he felt they had that in common because they both seemed to have issues with their mothers. There is a novelisation of Ustukushii Rinjin though, I wonder if it has more about Rio in it?
Last edited by emma-ba on Apr 18th, '11, 08:47, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
digitalcoconut
Posts: 170
Joined: Aug 23rd, '06, 13:12

Post by digitalcoconut » Apr 18th, '11, 05:54

love this drama.. i only watched 4 dramas this season, this certainly the best (but might try School later. read a lot of good reviews)

1 question..
Saki die or not? i thought she phone Eriko at the end. or it just a dream. general consensus here, Saki died. but i think she's not..

User avatar
emma-ba
Posts: 255
Joined: Jan 10th, '09, 14:07
Contact:

Post by emma-ba » Jun 18th, '11, 16:12

digitalcoconut wrote:love this drama.. i only watched 4 dramas this season, this certainly the best (but might try School later. read a lot of good reviews)

1 question..
Saki die or not? i thought she phone Eriko at the end. or it just a dream. general consensus here, Saki died. but i think she's not..
I'm certain she died as it looked like she cut her throat as she fell out the window. The phonecall was a dream that Eriko had.

LaLaLaDRAMA
Posts: 116
Joined: Jul 28th, '07, 23:53
Location: sunnytown CALI

Post by LaLaLaDRAMA » Jul 23rd, '11, 04:20

emma-ba wrote:
digitalcoconut wrote:love this drama.. i only watched 4 dramas this season, this certainly the best (but might try School later. read a lot of good reviews)

1 question..
Saki die or not? i thought she phone Eriko at the end. or it just a dream. general consensus here, Saki died. but i think she's not..
I'm certain she died as it looked like she cut her throat as she fell out the window. The phonecall was a dream that Eriko had.
I had the same question too! I assumed she died, but after she had that phone call dream, Eriko narrated that it was the last time she heard from her. It was really confusing. On top of that, I thought Saki was the one that sent her the dvd in the end? So did she die or not?

And, what was the whole point of RIO?! He received so many scenes, so I thought there was more to his character?

And that office lady coworker who has a crush on the husband..? the drama definitely did not need her to move the story along. It was just random..
Overall, I think this drama was really suspenseful, and Nakayama Yukie should get an award for portraying a psychotic lady! She really scared me.

manoarain808
Posts: 77
Joined: Dec 23rd, '09, 06:07

Post by manoarain808 » Jan 7th, '13, 10:57

Hmmm. I wonder if this is the same character from the new 2013 drama "SAKI."

LaLaLaDRAMA wrote:
emma-ba wrote:
digitalcoconut wrote:love this drama.. i only watched 4 dramas this season, this certainly the best (but might try School later. read a lot of good reviews)

1 question..
Saki die or not? i thought she phone Eriko at the end. or it just a dream. general consensus here, Saki died. but i think she's not..
I'm certain she died as it looked like she cut her throat as she fell out the window. The phonecall was a dream that Eriko had.
I had the same question too! I assumed she died, but after she had that phone call dream, Eriko narrated that it was the last time she heard from her. It was really confusing. On top of that, I thought Saki was the one that sent her the dvd in the end? So did she die or not?

And, what was the whole point of RIO?! He received so many scenes, so I thought there was more to his character?

And that office lady coworker who has a crush on the husband..? the drama definitely did not need her to move the story along. It was just random..
Overall, I think this drama was really suspenseful, and Nakayama Yukie should get an award for portraying a psychotic lady! She really scared me.

User avatar
yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mar 29th, '05, 09:52

Post by yanie » Jan 8th, '13, 04:29

yes, "Saki" is the pseudo-sequel of "Utsukushii Rinjin", like the alternate universe, but with the same main character and story theme.

manoarain808
Posts: 77
Joined: Dec 23rd, '09, 06:07

Post by manoarain808 » Jan 22nd, '13, 10:11

I watched the final ep of Utsukushii Rinjin again. It gives a good insight into Saki's psyche. It would be cool if characters from this series make some type of cameo in the new Saki series.

Seems like Saki is about to say something in the very end of the finale, but it cuts out. Any thoughts about it?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests