[Discussion] Diplomat Kuroda Kousaku(Oda Yuji,Shibasaki Kou)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Sorvaseven

[Discussion] Diplomat Kuroda Kousaku(Oda Yuji,Shibasaki Kou)

Post by Sorvaseven » Nov 21st, '10, 13:00

Diplomat Kuroda Kousaku

Oda Yuji and Shibasaki Kou

Info taken from Tokyograph
More Info on DramaWiki: DramaWiki

It was reported in August that Fuji TV has green-lit a television sequel to the 2009 movie "Amalfi: Megami no Hoshu," which starred actor Yuji Oda (42). More details have now been released, including the casting of Kou Shibasaki (29) as the female lead.

The drama series, titled "Gaikoukan Kuroda Kosaku," will bring Oda back as the diplomat Kosaku Kuroda, who now has to take on matters such as domestic terrorism as well as international affairs. Settings include San Francisco, Mexico, and Japan, with part of the series planned to be filmed overseas. Kuroda's backstory will also be covered.

Shibasaki will play the part of a police detective who works with Kuroda. She previously acted on-screen with Oda in the 2006 movie "Kenchou no Hoshi" (also known as "Star Reformer").

Filming has just started, even though the series will not start until January 2011 in the Thursday 10:00pm time slot. Teruyuki Kagawa (44), Kaho (19), and Tamiyo Kusakari (45) have also been cast.

Official Site
Fuji TV
Last edited by Sorvaseven on Dec 14th, '10, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.

Romance

Post by Romance » Nov 21st, '10, 13:13

I will watch! Sounds interesting!

And keep up the good work collecting info and creating threads about the upcoming dramas for next season. It becomes a nice hype! GJ! :-)

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Nov 21st, '10, 13:24

Romance wrote: And keep up the good work collecting info and creating threads about the upcoming dramas for next season. It becomes a nice hype! GJ! :-)
Haha, i will do my best :P

Yeah, i think this drama will be interesting. After all Oda Yuji and Shibasaki Kou have the lead roles!

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » Nov 28th, '10, 12:51

Watching for Kou and Nishi. Can't wait!

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Dec 3rd, '10, 09:17

I just watched the movie, and I LOVE "AMALFI" !! I esp. love Oda Yuji's character! Cold and kakkoii :P
Didn't like Amami Yuki's character much though, too hysterical...

Can't wait to see Oda Yuji and Shibasaki Kou pairing in the drama sequel! Although seem like Shibasaki's character sounds too much alike with her character in GALILEO. I hope it won't be a repetitive role.

Too bad Toda Erika is not in the drama, I like her character in the movie^^

kokutetsu

Post by kokutetsu » Dec 4th, '10, 17:51

yanie wrote:Can't wait to see Oda Yuji and Shibasaki Kou pairing in the drama sequel! Although seem like Shibasaki's character sounds too much alike with her character in GALILEO. I hope it won't be a repetitive role.
Yeah, although I like Shibasaki a lot, Galileo was not good. I hoping this will be more like her and Oda in Star Reformer.

Fuji TV has a blog for this but it doesn't have any interesting pictures! http://blog.fujitv.co.jp/KOSAKUKURODA/index.html

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Dec 4th, '10, 22:36

Pictures I found :)

Looks like Shibasaki's character will be the HERO-Amamiya'ish type^^

Apparently Lee Byung Hun will make a guest appearance in the drama.

His character is a Korean-American, Kuroda's childhood friend, and all his lines in this drama will be in English.

kokutetsu

Post by kokutetsu » Dec 4th, '10, 23:24

I've seen the subway station picture before, but the other two are new. I have not seen HERO, was it good?

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Dec 5th, '10, 06:52

kokutetsu wrote:I've seen the subway station picture before, but the other two are new. I have not seen HERO, was it good?
I recommend HERO very much! A story abt justice and law, nice comedy interactions between the characters, it is still one of my all-time fave till now :)

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Dec 5th, '10, 11:25

This sounds interesting! I liked Amalfi, but I also found Amami's character too hysteric, so I'm glad the series will focus on Kuroda and I'm looking forward to the international settings. Maybe we'll get some cameo's from the movie cast...would love to see Sato, Nakai or Toda^^

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Jan 6th, '11, 01:03

Can't wait! Thanks for creating these threads! Good job! :thumleft:

oh & btw, Heiwa Fansubs announced that they are going to release soft subs!

kokutetsu

Post by kokutetsu » Jan 6th, '11, 02:43

MisS Lonliah wrote:Can't wait! Thanks for creating these threads! Good job! :thumleft:

oh & btw, Heiwa Fansubs announced that they are going to release soft subs!
That's great news, Heiwa always does such excellent work.

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Jan 6th, '11, 21:18

Which 2011 Winter drama is under the most pressure to deliver?
#2. “Gaikoukan, Kuroda Kosaku” more

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Jan 9th, '11, 06:27

I can't profess enthusiasm for this drama after Amalfi ... but well, there really isn't much happening this season (with the overload of detective/procedural dramas) plus Shibasaki Ko sounds like she's just replaying Utsumi ... ....

Episode 1 Spoilers
(From Japan Times)

Diplomat Kosaku Kuroda is dispatched all over the globe to defend Japanese interests and citizens.

After foiling a kidnapping attempt in South America, Kuroda is sent to San Francisco, where his assignment is to protect Foreign Ministry official Shako Mikami (Tamiyo Kusakari), who is attending a meeting of the World Trade Organization. There, he meets with an informant (Lee Byung Hun) who gives him the lowdown on the security arrangements, as well as with an old friend, Shimomura (Teruyuki Kagawa), who used to work with Kuroda at the Mexican Embassy.

Thanks to information he receives through the informant, Kuroda is able to prevent an extremist from attacking Mikami, but as he's trying to find out how the attacker learned of Mikami's movements, Shimomura throws himself off a building.
Last edited by raven_frost on Jan 9th, '11, 06:50, edited 1 time in total.

kokutetsu

Post by kokutetsu » Jan 9th, '11, 06:32

raven_frost wrote:Shibasaki Ko sounds like she's just replaying Utsumi ... ....
NoooOooOOooO :cry: I hope not. Oda has been good in lots of stuff, and they were good together in Kencho no Hoshi, so I'm going to stay optimistic about this. But only time will tell.

xploring

Post by xploring » Jan 15th, '11, 05:20

Just watched the first episode. I quite like it. Big budget production and reasonably well made, but it failed to make the most of the drama and the intrigue to the extent I think it intended to. I didn't really realize until the end that it's intended to be an ambitious thriller/drama with lots of intrigue. The story is interesting though with many different theories and scenario possible, definitely going to continue watching. The production team must be disappointed with the rating of 13.3, looks like a lot of money has been spent in that first episode.

kokutetsu

Post by kokutetsu » Jan 15th, '11, 05:23

But better than Galileo, right? :pray: :pray: :pray:

xploring

Post by xploring » Jan 15th, '11, 07:07

Probably... I only watched one episode of Galileo. A lot of the first episode is just setting the stage for the rest of the series.

zettaiKaren

Post by zettaiKaren » Jan 15th, '11, 07:47

kokutetsu wrote:But better than Galileo, right? :pray: :pray: :pray:
Uh...I would have to say 'NO'. IMHO, what JDorama doesn't do well are action-oriented thriller/police-detective dramas (or movies, & still haven't found a very good one in 20+ yrs I might add). They are often ruined by huge plot holes (or just a lack of common sense) and/or the clumsily staged action set-pieces (e.g. 'AMALFI' has a horrible script and crappily staged actions in the 2nd half).

Take this season for example, so far I've seen the 1st episodes of 'LADY - Saigo no Profiling', 'Diplomat Kuroda Kousaku', 'Control Hanzai Shinri Sousakan', and 'Gou', and none of them came remotely close to 'Saka no Ue no Kumo' (a 3 part mini Taiga) in terms of story, cast, drama, and production values (sets, music, and literally casts of thousands if you include the foreign extras). Even the battle scenes and SFX are mostly very well done. I've never watched a JDorama where so many foreign languages are spoken (some by Japanese actors) - i.e. excluding the various Japanese dialects - I noticed at least English (British and American), Chinese, Russian, German, and French. Rumor has it that the Taiga's of the last few years (up to may be 'Gou') had to crimp on production costs because funds/resources are being diverted to filming 'Saka...' (hence some of the 'stage-play' like sets). Based on the first 2 parts aired, I wouldn't be surprised if it's true (unless NHK has an unlimited budget); plus the 2 major battles - 'Seige of Port Arthur' and 'Battle of Tsushima' - have yet to come in part III later this year. It is a historical drama so it may not be for everyone, but IMO even the SP of 'Shinzanmono' is still way better than any of the above in the current season. I know it's only their 1st episode, but there're already logic gaffes galore and poorly staged action set pieces (like the lame car chase in SF in 'Kuroda').

totemokakkoii

Post by totemokakkoii » Jan 16th, '11, 02:29

so many trashing on this drama (as above)
I thought the settings is really good. way better than some of the HK and TW dramas.
considering this is a drama, not a movie, I am surprised they put that much budget into making one episode.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 17th, '11, 13:09

Story terms, Ep1 was so-so, pace was kinda slow, maybe my expectation was too high. But I'm still very intrigued in finding out what will happen next, so I'd still continue watching.

imo, Shibasaki Kou's character here is different than hers in Galileo. I'm looking forward to how her "map-otaku-ness" will be useful for Kuroda's investigations^^

If I were to compare, in story terms, Galileo Ep1 was definitely better than Diplomat Kuroda Ep1. And I'm not even really a fan of Galileo.

Ep1 spoiler
So Shimomura is still alive? Does this mean, this same case will stretch to 11-12 eps?? I thought it would be a case-by-case episodic drama.

Edohiguma

Post by Edohiguma » Jan 18th, '11, 19:01

Not bad so far.

But I've seen four points in episode 1 that made me cringe (and that is 40 minutes into the episode as I'm typing this.)

In the backflash at the hostage rescue, the assault team goes in guns blazing, shooting at full auto. That is utter bullshit. Nobody does that. Then, when the chick arrives at the WTO thing, we see three US soldiers guarding the area. One has a clear US Army patch. The US military can't be deployed like that on US soil and the army is a broadsword, not a scalpell. Also, for guard duty their entire equipment is very light. No armor, no webbing, no helmets, no radio. And they're carrying their rifles extremely unprofessional (the guy on the right side even has lousy trigger discipline.) Second thing was the sniper on the roof. She was lacking a spotter. Snipers always work in pairs. Shooter, spotter. Always. Third, the assassination attempt has a classic continuity gun error. When the guy fires the shot in the air, when you look at the action of the pistol, you can see how the slide remains in the backwards position (it's short, you have to pause and go through it frame by frame to see it.) That indicates that the magazine is empty and that he fired the last round. In the next scene, the slide is in the forward position, indicating that either a new round has been chambered or the empty magazine has been ejected and the slide pushed back into standard position manually. A classic continuity error with semi-automatic guns. To make things worse we see exactly the same error when he shoots at the WTO chick.

As for action-oriented, it's usually badly done, not only in J-dramas, but even in US series (where people should know better, really.) I mean, take 24. It's been running that long and Kiefer still can't hold his gun properly. He's usually using the classic Hollywood cup grip, which is nice when you fire blanks and looks cool, but utterly for the rats if you fire live rounds (since it doesn't provide optimum control.)

Been a shooter for roughly 20 years and fired almost anything between 7.62 pistol round (Walther PPK FTW, ok, it's has unimpressive balistics, but it's a cool gun) and 120mm tank round (sue me, I like to shoot things, it's fun) and stuff like that usually makes me cringe. Especially gun handling itself. And lousy trigger discipline makes me want to headbutt a kitten. I almost got shot by some idiot on the range because of it once, so I'm reacting extremely allergic to it (and that was with a Steyer AUG.)

Primarily, I'm quite happy to see Kou again. As cop. Woot. And the glasses suit her. Frankly, the one reason for me to watch it is Shibasaki Kou. Frankly, when I read that Kuroda was working for the Japanese anti-terrorism office, I was already cringing, expecting exactly the points mentioned above. Kou might sooth my gun mind and prevent me from actually headbutting a kitten.

spacecommand

Post by spacecommand » Jan 21st, '11, 16:47

I totally agree that most Japanese dramas do not do action scenes very well.

I watched "TOKYO DOGS" and couldn't watch it anymore because of the silly shooting scenes, which was more comical then dramatic.

Or like the show "SP" which was interesting, but the action scenes were horrible. Not to mention those must be some of the most incompetent police officers AND "terrorists" in history.

Now I'm enjoying this drama a bit because I was a big Odoru fan but as mentioned there are things that just make me cringe:

Spoilers:
The "fake hostage" scene, don't even know where to begin on this. It was supposedly made to be a big cover up, but anyone knows the media, the media would be hounding the shooter, checking his facebook his family background, reporting on the story non-stop 24/7, yet it seemed to be all swept away and the guy let free? with no media following him?? YEAH RIGHT.

Back to the hostage situation, it would mean every single bodyguard, security officer, police officer etc in the entire building and area would of been on in it (the massive conspiracy), what if someone who wasn't let in on the story shot the guy for real? Also, the way to guns were pulled out by some of the guards were very unnatural for supposedly trained professionals.

Another silly thing was when he was in the stairs trying to warn people, he walks passed one of the guards who keeps his hand on his holster? WHAT FOR?

Not to mention the presence of the US ARMY? at the meeting for security?

Also during the hostage scene, all those secret service/dss agents went ducking for cover the first moment the shot was fired (of course they were "in on it") but they could of made it a bit more realistic.

Later on Yuji's character is being interviewed at the police station, then is let free because the "CIA" said so. Yeah most Japanese viewers probably don't understand (heck most people in America probably don't either), the CIA can't tell local police departments what to do, nevertheless let a suspect in a crime go. CIA has no law enforcement authority inside the US. A better way would of been saying , "Pressure from the State Department" or "Governor" would of been a bit more realistic to me.

Minor gripes, none of the American cops or security officers can wear their uniforms right, virtually all of them seem to unprofessional in appearance and incompetent. The badges on the San Fransisco Police officers are wrong. Most officers don't even carry strait batons (night sticks) anymore.
Pretty much anything having to do with GUNS in J-dramas is horrible.

On a side note: 'Saka no Ue no Kumo' was a very good, very well produced drama, and the action scenes very well done. I give good props to those guys. I look forward to seeing the ending next year.

ssih

Post by ssih » Jan 21st, '11, 18:27

Edohiguma, I seriously think you need to relax and enjoy the show for what it is. It's not a military training film. It's a drama aimed at the average person. They can't be expected to bring in experts in every facet of the show. As for me, my expertise is in computer technology, and every show that depends on high tech is full of laughable liberties they take. On every high-level national security mainframe computer, the root password is always the name of the director's dog, or the birthday of the VP's daughter. How could the hero of the show be expected to guess "9fW^#kjO2}" on the third try? It's totally silly, but it's hardly worth mentioning, and not worth letting it spoil an entertaining show.

kokutetsu

Post by kokutetsu » Jan 21st, '11, 18:36

ssih wrote:the root password is always the name of the director's dog, or the birthday of the VP's daughter
As an IT worker myself, LOLOLOLOL. Also :cry:

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this drama. I know it's totally different from Kencho no Hoshi, but I love that movie and I'm optimistic about Oda and Shibasaki in this. I'm also a fan of Odoru Daisousasen.

spacecommand

Post by spacecommand » Jan 21st, '11, 21:48

No tv shows are no military training films, nor do they need to get everything 100% correct. However action scenes in many Japanese dramas (especially ones involving guns) are almost downright laughable sometimes, which in my opinion "takes away" from what they are trying to convey as a drama, it becomes more comedic.

Did you ever watch "SP" I use that as a prime example. Good drama until someone pulls out a gun and people start getting shot, then it becomes a comedy.

Anycase I'm watching this show now, I like it, it's those small things that make me cringe.

I've talked to Japanese people about the "action" scenes in dramas, and many of them actually agree that it's pretty comical. But Japanese society is not a society "used to" seeing gun action, so their approach at it seems to be a stereotypical view.

xploring

Post by xploring » Jan 22nd, '11, 01:55

Hardly any action scenes in the second episode. It felt a bit flat, just progressing the plot and revealing more developments, but I am still interested. Was expecting more from the Kuroda-Ogaki relationship/interactions, hopefully that will get better.

sp4078

Post by sp4078 » Jan 23rd, '11, 12:15

I was surprised by J-drama with location shot and big budget thinggy (and Lee Byu Hun). Since I didn't catch the news at all.

Some of you analyzed too much about technical stuffs. I can forgive those as long as the plot flow was consistent. But the plot confused the heck out of me. I held the damn Hallyu wave from IRIS responsible for this trend.

J-drama should just stick with its quirky, dry humor style. B/c that what I love about J-dramas. Any how, I will watch out for this drama in future. Also, what's up with the detective dramas this season ? Did all the board-cast directors go out drinking together ?

kiddygrade

Post by kiddygrade » Jan 24th, '11, 11:38

I am pissed : the release of the CD for "Kuroda" has just been cancelled (it was due on the begiining of March). As I love Yugo Kanno, I am very, very frustrated!!!!!!!

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » Feb 10th, '11, 21:16

I was really looking forward to this drama, but right now it is almost bordering on boring - this is like a death sentence for a drama that calls itself a thriller. I cannot really see Oda Yuuji as Kuroda. We have all the random languages that are thrown in. Then we have Mexico which is a real country and then some fictional princess from some make-up country. Kou Shibasakis character Ogaki is a wishy-washy girl, that let's herself being used by the men around her. It would really be better for her to quit the police, like her parents suggest. And Nishis character only get's 2 lines per episode.

I'm not even curious why Shimomura is playing dead or crying in the playground for. Somehow this drama lacks something that makes it special. With a great cast like this it is seriously a disappointment so far.

RetroHelix
Germany

Post by RetroHelix » Feb 11th, '11, 23:02

MaiKitty wrote:I'm not even curious why Shimomura is playing dead or crying in the playground for. Somehow this drama lacks something that makes it special. With a great cast like this it is seriously a disappointment so far.
Totally agree!
Here are my thoughts:
The only character I got to sympathise with was the char of Kou Shibasaki but this one is not developing at all. After four episodes we just know that she is a caring woman -and mapotaku with no use for her skills- who no one is taking seriously. Kuroda is just someone who seems to know everything and all but that definitely does not make him an interesting character...
It feels like the whole series is not developing! Besides that we still know nothing about Shimomura plans -thought that was the mainplot...- but to be true I don't care at all. There is just no reason to care for anyone or anything. And on top there comes a princes from nowhere, a char with barely no back story and is going on sightseeingtour with Kuroda?! I mean she had more screentime with Kuroda as everyone else! Why not building up the relationship of the main chars first? And if they dont want to make it this way they should at least make it a bit mystic, interesting, thrilling....
Indeed, this show seriously lacks something.

Romance

Post by Romance » Mar 5th, '11, 10:23

Great drama!

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Mar 7th, '11, 07:10

ep8 was really good.. cant wait to ep9!

pink-revolution

Post by pink-revolution » Mar 7th, '11, 11:18

Kuroda creeps me out more with his attitude with every episode... I am not good with this slow talking and always looking like he was in pain or something.

Otherwise... this drama seemed so promising at the beginning, but (like almost all other dramas this season as well) it does not fulfill the high hopes. Sadly.

vspirit

Post by vspirit » Mar 21st, '11, 15:44

it's a shame this show didn't garner as much popularity as it aimed to. it might've floundered a bit in the early stages but it picked itself back up in the later and fully redeemed itself (as far as i'm concerned anyway) by the 9th episode onwards. feels kinda like they're trying to actually say something to their government somehow, heh.

spacecommand

Post by spacecommand » Mar 25th, '11, 02:56

Show was a real big let down. I think maybe they spent their entire budget on Episode 1 and everything was shoestring after (not many locations traveled to, just stayed in Tokyo).

Also I think there were a bunch of plot holes still left unanswered or maybe I missed it.

Whats the doctor in San Fransisco got to do with things (episode 1), what was the nature of his visit to the Japanese Consulate in SanFran (episode 1)?

Who's this CIA guy and his background connection with Kuroda?
Who is the Iron Chef guy? Who does Kuroda really work for?

In case those who are not in Japan missed it, there will be another movie made (the last episode alluded to him being in France).

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Mar 26th, '11, 23:49

spacecommand wrote: Whats the doctor in San Fransisco got to do with things (episode 1), what was the nature of his visit to the Japanese Consulate in SanFran (episode 1)?
I'm not sure which doctor you're talking about. The one who died? Or Shimomura? If it's Kuroda's friend, I think he went there to see Kuroda. Kuroda was in SF on a diplomatic business. Overseeing security for a meeting. Also, I think the Shimomura was escaping out of Japan cuz he is a convict. He took the blame for the murder of the professor.
spacecommand wrote: Who's this CIA guy and his background connection with Kuroda?
Who is the Iron Chef guy? Who does Kuroda really work for?
The CIA (John) is an old friend of Kuroda who works for CIA in the US. They exchange secret information cuz they have access to different sources. I don't know who you mean by the iron chef. There's a cook there? Kuroda works for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. But he also seems to be a secret agent of sorts? He does some stuff diplomats don't do. You can say Kuroda works for Japan. He doesn't succumb to pressures from politicians no matter what rank they're in. I wonder if there really is such a self righteous diplomat out there though.
pink-revolution wrote:Kuroda creeps me out more with his attitude with every episode... I am not good with this slow talking and always looking like he was in pain or something.

Otherwise... this drama seemed so promising at the beginning, but (like almost all other dramas this season as well) it does not fulfill the high hopes. Sadly.
I guess all diplomats are dull people? You could stay they're stiff cuz you're so diplomatic. He's probably a slow talking because he's careful of his words. I'm not sure about the looking in pain part. I think Oda Yuji plays a pretty good diplomat? He also does hard boil detective roles well too.

About the drama not full filling hopes. I think maybe the pace is too slow to build it up. There were many questions but they weren't answered until the last two episodes. I thought it was pretty good. It's story is quite sad. I feel for the victims and for sad for Shinomura who is tormented by guilt and loss.

I think the situation is not impossible. I've read some of the issue with the Japanese government backing up building nuclear plants. I read there was an issue with the plants a while back but the government just waved it aside. There's not enough transparency from the government.

RetroHelix
Germany

Post by RetroHelix » Mar 27th, '11, 20:06

It definitely got better near the end but still wasn't worth a watch imo. I think the mainproblem was the character-development. If the show is not thrilling enough at least the characters and their stories must be interesting and also the relationship between them.

btw. I miss the Odoru Daisousasen Oda Yuji :(

spacecommand

Post by spacecommand » Mar 28th, '11, 17:45

No, I'm talking about the doctor who was shooting at Kuroda in episode 1. Remember, Kuroda went to his room, he found a guy there, the guy shot at him, and they had a big car chase.... that doctor.

Remember earlier in the episode as Kuroda was leaving the Japanese consulate, that doctor was also visiting the consulate to speak to someone there. Why was he at the consulate? To get orders to stop Kuroda? But this was before Kuroda even spoke to Shimomura and before Shimomura faked his death.

The same doctor was also there during the autopsy and identification of the body with Shimorua's daughter.

Of course the CIA guy John and Kuroda know each other and exchange information, I want to know their backstory (how did they meet etc), also what's the significance of playing "Chess", remember in Episode 1, he asks about playing Chess, also at the ending credits to every episode they show people playing chess. What is the significance of this?

As for the "Iron Chef" reference:
I'm talking Takeshi Kaga (he played the chairman in the Japanese Iron Chef tv shows). In this show he plays Kuroda's boss (co-worker, informant, whatever).

Yes I know he works for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, I'm saying where or who does he really work for in the MOFA. He doesn't belong to the anti-terrorism division. So he must be under some other secret branch with the Iron Chef guy.

Yeah I'm just nitpicking but these things bug me.

Guess I have to watch the next movie to find some answers, but I doubt they will be answered.

prestoli
United States of America

Post by prestoli » Jun 30th, '11, 07:10

I agree this show was a big letdown. I found Oda's performance stilted and not very likeable.
I was also hoping it to build up to something more than the big-bad-American-business-corrupts-Japan plotline. Pharmaceutical company corruption has been in the headlines for years so maybe I'm just jaded.