[Discussion] Nankyoku Tairiku(Kimutaku, Sakai Masato, Ayase)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
MisS Lonliah

[Discussion] Nankyoku Tairiku(Kimutaku, Sakai Masato, Ayase)

Post by MisS Lonliah » Jan 18th, '11, 22:51

Details
Title: 南極大陸~神の領域に挑んだ男と犬の物語~
Title (romaji): Nankyoku Tairiku ~Kami no Ryouiki ni Idomunda Otoko to Inu no Monogatari~
Title (English): Antarctica ~The Story of Dogs and Men Who Challenged the Field of God~
Format: Renzoku
Genre: Drama
Broadcast network: TBS
Broadcast period: 2011-Oct-16 start
Air time: Sunday 21:00
Theme song: Arano yori by Nakajima Miyuki

Synopsis
The drama is going to be based on the true story of Japan’s First Cross-Winter Expedition in Anarctica. Kimura’s role of geologist Kuramochi is going to be quite similar to that of actor Takakura Ken in the 1983 film “Nankyoku Monogatari“, simply known as “Antarctica” in many western countries. However, it’s not going to be a complete remake.
The plot will focus on the 11 members of the team and their relationship with the 19 Sakhalin Huskies. Terrible weather conditions make it almost impossible for the team to return back home and they end up being forced to leave all of the dogs behind at the Shouwa Base. One year later Kuramochi and a few others returned to the base with the Third Cross-Winter Expedition and much to their surprise, two of the dogs, Taro and Jiro, were able to survive despite the harsh conditions. Their reunion with the two dogs is going to be the big emotional highlight of the drama.
Jdrama Weblog wrote:A drama commemorating TBS's 60th anniversary, the story is about 11 members who were sent to the South Pole for the first time in February 1957 in a national project to explore Antartica. They were accompanied by a dogsled of 19 Sakhalin dogs. When they left for Japan a year later, they were forced to leave the dogs behind due to the bad weather. In January 1959, Kuramochi Takeshi and some others joined a third expedition to ascertain the fate of the dogs Taro and Jiro.

Cast
Kimura Takuya as Kuramochi Takeshi
Ayase Haruka as Takaoka Miyuki
Sakai Masato as Himura Haruhiko
Yamamoto Yusuke as Inuzuka Natsuo
Yoshizawa Hisashi as Yokomine Shinkichi
Okada Yoshinori as Funaki Ikuzo
Shiga Kotaro as Tani Kennosuke
Kawamura Yosuke as Arashiyama Hajime
Doronzu Ishimoto (ドロンズ石本) as Yamazato Manpei
Shibata Kyohei as Shirosaki Suguru
Kimura Tae as Furutachi Ayako
Ashida Mana as Furutachi Haruka
Inoue Mizuki (井上瑞稀) as Furutachi Ryo
Kato Takako as Samejima Junko
Sakura as Yokomine Naomi
Ono Ito (大野いと) as Inuzuka Mitsuko
Yamamoto Gaku as Furutachi Tomohiro
Watase Tsunehiko as Kuramochi's father
Terajima Susumu as Samejima Naohito
Ogata Naoto as Utsumi Noriaki
Kagawa Teruyuki as Hoshino Eitaro
Nakama Yukie as Kuramochi Yukari
Sato Ryuta as Ando Michio

TBS won’t hold back with the budget, as it is going to be their biggest project for their 60th anniversary. more at source
Official site
tokyograph's article
Nankyoku Tairiku @ DramaWiki
Nankyoku Tairiku @ AsianMediaWiki

RAWS
English Subtitles:
SmappieSubs = Hard subs
subie06 = Soft subs

Updates:
- August 12, 2011 - Ayase Haruka chosen as the heroine. Read More
- September 13, 2011 - Jdrama Weblog added details about each character:
Kimura Takuya as Kuramochi Takeshi (deputy head of the first research expedition and in charge of geological observation and the dogsled)
Ayase Haruka as Takaoka Miyuki (Kuramochi Takeshi’s sister-in-law)
Nakama Yukie as Kuramochi Yukari (Kuramochi Takeshi’s wife)
Sakai Masato as Himura Haruhiko (expedition member in charge of weather observation)
Yamamoto Yusuke as Inuzuka Natsuo (expedition member in charge of observing auroras and the dogsled)
Terajima Susumu as Samejima Naoto (expedition member in charge of machinery and snowmobiles)
Ogata Naoto as Utsumi Noriaki (expedition member in charge of press coverage and general affairs)
Shibata Kyohei as Shirasaki Yu (head of the first research expedition)
Kagawa Teruyuki as Hoshino Eitaro (head of the winter team)
Sato Ryuta as Ando Michio (member of the third expedition)
Ashida Mana as Furutachi Haruka (Furutachi Ayako’s daughter)
Kimura Tae as Furutachi Ayako (daughter of Kuramochi Takeshi’s university professor who imparted everything on the Sakhalin dogs to him)

Pictures:
Thanks to Iris Zephyr for the pics - Credits: fumiyo @ weibo
Last edited by MisS Lonliah on Oct 26th, '11, 17:40, edited 23 times in total.

trasuachieumua

Post by trasuachieumua » Jan 19th, '11, 13:11

Thanks you for more information <3333
I'm trying to look for the producer and director and now I find it xD

Thanks you so much :wub:

Can't wait to watch this drama although it's not my favourite type xD. I'm so happy that Capatin will come back with a drama xD.

Congratulation Captain :salut: . I'll wait for Kuramochi-san from now on :salut:.

Just curious, who will be the lead female? :roll

Or at least supporting actress as in Karei Naru Ichizoku T_T
at least there is a female character to be with him T_T I wish that T_T
Last edited by trasuachieumua on Jan 21st, '11, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.

[ XD ]

Post by [ XD ] » Jan 21st, '11, 11:11

I'm so exited xD
well I was a little shocked to hear that Yamamoto Yusuke is one of the cast
I only saw him at Atashinchi no Danshi and he was horrible ><

Anyway! hope he do great in this drama 8)
trasuachieumua wrote:Just curious, who will be the lead female? :roll
seems no heroine in it :unsure:

Thanks a lot MisS Lonliah :-)

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Jan 21st, '11, 15:48

@ XD & @trasuachieumua

No updates about the female lead yet, but they will announce about it after sometime for sure! :thumright:

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Jan 21st, '11, 16:01

The posters of the movie

Also, the following was mentioned during the credits of Hollywood movie Eight Below (2006)
"Dedicated to the memory of Koreyoshi Kurahara, director of Antartica" (Nankyoku monogatari)
And these were the Writing credits:
David DiGilio (screenplay)
Toshirô Ishidô (film Nankyoku Monogatari) &
Koreyoshi Kurahara (film Nankyoku Monogatari) &
Tatsuo Nogami (film Nankyoku Monogatari) &
Susumu Saji (film Nankyoku Monogatari)

snow_of_dawn

Re: [Upcoming] Nankyoku Tairiku ( Kimura Takuya, Sakai Masat

Post by snow_of_dawn » Jan 22nd, '11, 00:22

Thanks a lot MisS Lonliah for the information :cheers: .though ....we have to wait for another 9 months to watch it. I've never watched the movie adaptation but I have heard of the story itself somewhere
MisS Lonliah wrote: * Title: Nankyoku Tairiku ~Kami no Ryouiki ni Idomunda Otoko to Inu no Monogatari~
just one small miss but, 挑んだ is Idonda

Looking forward to the drama, especially with the current horrible drama season that's showing now :roll or don't you agree with me?

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jan 22nd, '11, 00:36

I don't think there is, or will be, a leading lady. why would there be one when it is a group of scientists going to the Antarctic. At that time I doubt it would be a group of men and one woman. Possibly a woman sending them off, but even then Kimura does not need any 'love interest' these days. I think he had his fill with the waterstrider lady.
He once said he would have liked being a geologist... or a zoo keeper... now he will achieve the one even if only a role in a film. I hope it will not be a very sad treatment as far as the dogs are concerned.

Will they really go to Antarctica or go to Hokkaido. Lots of snow there.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jan 22nd, '11, 00:47

Ah !! Hokkaido it is for the main set ups. Maybe they will send a camera crew for some real Antarctic scenery and that will be good.

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Jan 22nd, '11, 10:49

I hope this will be a good KimuTaku drama. I was disappointed from his last two ones, Mr Brain and Tsuki no Koibito.

snow_of_dawn

Post by snow_of_dawn » Jan 22nd, '11, 20:19

Peggy wrote:I don't think there is, or will be, a leading lady. why would there be one when it is a group of scientists going to the Antarctic. At that time I doubt it would be a group of men and one woman. Possibly a woman sending them off, but even then Kimura does not need any 'love interest' these days. I think he had his fill with the waterstrider lady.
There must be one, notice that there's a ○(circle) written under his name in the cast corner of the main site MisSLonliah kindly provided, which mostly means there'll be a female lead but has not yet been decided who.
do u mean by the waterstrider lady tuki no koibito's chinese lead? :lol I hated her too :-)

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jan 22nd, '11, 20:56

snow_of_dawn.
Yes you got that lady right. I still get toothache thinking of her. Totally ruined the drama and the rating for the drama.....

snow_of_dawn

Post by snow_of_dawn » Jan 22nd, '11, 21:35

Peggy wrote:snow_of_dawn.
Yes you got that lady right. I still get toothache thinking of her. Totally ruined the drama and the rating for the drama.....
you're totally right, I didn't quite fancy the drama itself but one of the main reasons i would not recommend it to others, is that Chinese lady....so Irritating with her strange un-understandable Japanese. :glare:
I don't care much about ratings and stuff though, and don't know if we can blame it on her the drama's ratings didn't turn out as expected :unsure: . But I agree with everyone who was disappointed with Mr brain and Tsuki no koibito, they can not be compared to his prior dramas, and I say this as a fan who watched most of his works.
I'll be looking forward to this one though, hope it turns out worthy of the effort they say they'll be putting in it :-)

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jan 23rd, '11, 02:13

I personally think Kimura is trying to completely get away from his youthful 'love' roles with the scenes we all enjoyed. He really had the ability to play those roles to perfection. Now he has tasted some more serious stuff here and there and I think he wants to become more known for serious type of acting. He is a good actor bt he needs more roles such as 'Love and Honour' and 'Grand Family'. I even liked the way he played that character in 'Engine' but a lot of people weren't ready to see that typeof role for him. He was good with the young actors in that drama.

Looking forward to the new one coming up.

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Jan 23rd, '11, 17:17

I'm kinda interested... but I think I'm interested in the plot, not Kimura Takuya being in it. The huskies are gonna remind me of "I Am Legend" when his dog died... (that was really the saddest part of the movie.... it had me at that part. The climax kinda went down for me there lol. It made me cry) At first when I rad the comments about where filming is gonna be (Hokkaido or Antarctica) and thought "Well... I doubt they will go to Antarctica because there is virtually no one living there... just scientist. And food, using the bathroom, having a place to stay while filming would be really hard/maybe impossible. But then I thought again "Well, it is the highest budget of TBS so maybe they might do a teeny bit of filming there.... and maybe want the cast to experience Antarctic life....?"

MisS Lonliah

Re: [Upcoming] Nankyoku Tairiku ( Kimura Takuya, Sakai Masat

Post by MisS Lonliah » Jan 23rd, '11, 21:35

snow_of_dawn wrote:Thanks a lot MisS Lonliah for the information :cheers: .though ....we have to wait for another 9 months to watch it. I've never watched the movie adaptation but I have heard of the story itself somewhere
MisS Lonliah wrote: * Title: Nankyoku Tairiku ~Kami no Ryouiki ni Idomunda Otoko to Inu no Monogatari~
just one small miss but, 挑んだ is Idonda

Looking forward to the drama, especially with the current horrible drama season that's showing now :roll or don't you agree with me?
Hello dear,
you're welcome! :-) My torrent for “Nankyoku Monogatari - 1983“ is completed! Gonna watch it tonight to get ready from now for the drama! lol
Thanks a lot for the correction! I really appreciate that!
Yes, I somehow agree.. :pale: but who knows maybe *some of them* will get a bit better, I prefer to not judge so early! :thumright:

Romance

Post by Romance » Jan 24th, '11, 01:17

in 10 months, way to early to start the hype :P!!!

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jan 24th, '11, 01:30

Anything about Kimura san that talks about a new project can never be ignored. Everyone wants to know what it will be and who will be in the cast. I doubt there will be 'Hype' but I would imagine there will be news flashes now and then.
I know I have always read every word about Kimura and his dramas or films. Been watching him for over fifteen years at least. I greatly admire him as an actor and as an entertainer.

nnnc

Post by nnnc » Jan 24th, '11, 07:29

The rumor was spread around Japanese gossip sites for months already so this is just a confirmation. I think they need to confirm it now, 10 months in advance, because they will start filming in February probably in order to get those snow scenes as soon as possible. With stars as big as Kimura Takuya and Sakai Masato commuting frequently to Hokkaido, you can't keep this drama a secret any longer. So why not announcing it right now and building up the hype bit by bit until October. The drama is said to be a big project to celebrate the station's 60th anniversary anyway. Looking at the casts & staffs, TBS really put everything into producing this drama so it's no wonder they have to promote it long and hard XD

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Feb 5th, '11, 03:27

Now that I got some time, I thought of writing a short review of the movie“Nankyoku Monogatari“ aka Antarctica.

Nankyoku monogatari (1983)
143 min

Main Cast:
Ken Takakura as Akira Ushioda
ImageImage

Tsunehiko Watase as Kenjirô Ochi
ImageImage

Keiko Oginome as Asako Shimura

Masako Natsume as Keiko Kitazawa

My Review:
The dogs were the stars of the movie! Simply because they were casted in more than the half of movie. There was limited dialogue between the cast, that's why I think that TBS will really be working hard on it. The story itself is very plain, so they will need to add lots & lots of interacting & happenings to make the drama more appealing. Regarding the female lead, there wasn't any in the movie. There were actually two female cast: Keiko Oginome ( A Teen whose dog was left in Antarctica ) & Masako Natsume ( The girlfriend of Tsunehiko Watase). I think that Sakai Masato will probably play Tsunehiko Watase's role. Two things that amazed me about the story/movie were:
-How did the two brothers survive!? ( An average husky can only live in such conditions for about one month)
-How did the team manage to bring back 7 of the dog corpses? ( There were 15 Sakhalin Huskies)
Considering the year of the movie's release, I think that it was perfect in terms of shooting it & its OST. The landscapes were really beautiful & the dogs were more than just adorable. Here are a few caps...

corejacks

Post by corejacks » Feb 14th, '11, 22:17

nice info! thank you!!!

pn0yb0i

Post by pn0yb0i » Feb 19th, '11, 23:27

Sasword Power! :O

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Mar 13th, '11, 00:14

Cast and crew of this drama were all up in the Hokkaido area for some filming when the earthquake and then the tsunami struck. Everyone seems to be OK but they are stuck up in the north. No transport at all and possible not too much luck in phone calls etc.
Sorry I did not get the name of the place but I think it ended as -----nemero ??

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Mar 13th, '11, 17:23

Peggy wrote:Cast and crew of this drama were all up in the Hokkaido area for some filming when the earthquake and then the tsunami struck. Everyone seems to be OK but they are stuck up in the north. No transport at all and possible not too much luck in phone calls etc.
Sorry I did not get the name of the place but I think it ended as -----nemero ??
Thanks a lot for the updates!

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Apr 14th, '11, 03:28

Hmm... I'm seriously contemplating subbing this series.

Just need Kimura and Nakai for the SMAP dorama sweep :P

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Apr 14th, '11, 04:36

Yay!!^^

Lol. Nakai doesn't do much good dramas XD To complete the SMAP sweep, maybe you should sub "Watashi wa Kai ni Naritai" movie, instead.

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Apr 14th, '11, 06:23

^ Hisashiburi :D

Yeah, I was thinking of subbing Konkatsu!, then I saw ep1 and I was like -_-;;
But there's always hope, right? :lol

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Apr 14th, '11, 07:53

"KonKatsu" was quite bad, I don't know why I did watch up to Ep7, lol. But I really could take no more after that :P

Btw, no female cast has been announced for this drama, right? I just read a rumor that Igawa Haruka turned down the heroine role for this drama.

Iris Zephyr

Post by Iris Zephyr » Apr 24th, '11, 14:26

Some pics from TVFan about the drama.

Link: http://www.galleryhosted.com/6B1LKL87MJYA4J7#top_page

Credits: fumiyo @ weibo

:wub:

October seems so far away~~~

:lol

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Apr 26th, '11, 19:31

:-) Iris,

thanks for the great link for photos. Poor Kimura san. He hates the cold so much but he looks good here and obviously gets along so well with the dogs. He loves dogs.

noihimura
Indonesia

KimuTaku

Post by noihimura » May 10th, '11, 09:45

thanks for the information .... i can't wait for Takuya Kimura's next project ... after Tsuki no Koibito ..... Antartica? ... that would be interesting ...

yanaliao

Post by yanaliao » Jul 4th, '11, 06:04

Thanks for the link for the photos. Love 'em.
3 more months left.

caramelchampagne

Post by caramelchampagne » Jul 8th, '11, 01:42

it is the same plot of the disney movie that i watch called Eight Below (2006) and it was awesome i dont know how the japanese version gonna be but i'm big fan of kimu taku

ailuros

Post by ailuros » Jul 8th, '11, 04:41

^
^
Eight Below(2009) was inspired by J-movie Nankyoku Monogatari (1983) which base on true story of Japan's Cross-Winter Expedition team between 1958-1959

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Aug 13th, '11, 02:51

Ayase Haruka chosen as the heroine
by HPriest on August 12, 2011 @tokyohive

Kimura was glad to have her on board and praised her, “No doubt about it, Ayase was the best choice (for this role). As always, she is amazing.”

The two previously worked together for the popular drama “Mr. Brain” in 2009.

Ayase will portray the role of ‘Takaoka Miyuki‘, the younger sister of Kuramochi’s late wife. Takaoka is a teacher at a primary school and cares about Kuramochi just like a sister about her older brother, but after losing her older sister, she strongly opposes his decision to the join the expedition, and starts to grow deeper feelings for him.

She commented, “Miyuki is very kind at heart, but above all else, she is a very strong and steadfast woman. She is keeping a lot of feelings to herself, the loneliness and the anxiety about her brother-in-law living in Antarctica. I will try to portray those feelings to the best of my abilities.”...

tsutsuchan

Post by tsutsuchan » Aug 15th, '11, 16:26

Wow, thanks for the information. I look forward to watching this and hope someone will sub it.

The cast also reminds me of Himitsu no Hozono, one of my favourite Sakai Masato doramas ^_^

ulzzangmiko

Post by ulzzangmiko » Aug 15th, '11, 17:28

wow can't wait for this! now with Ayase on board makes me anticipate this even more :)

L'Arc

Post by L'Arc » Aug 17th, '11, 04:23

Nankyoku Tairiku on the news: http://www.mediafire.com/?95x6z32w1410ni3
Wow, TBS done it again. I was blown away with Karei naru Ichizoku and now this! It looks completely different from what I imagined it to be! Can't wait! Also, you should add Ayase Haruka to the thread's title :D

Ender's Girl

Post by Ender's Girl » Aug 18th, '11, 04:47

Oh that's right, Kimura handpicked Ayase because their chemistry on Mr. Brain worked sooooooooooooooo well. :whistling:

Excuse me while I go :alcoholic:

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Aug 18th, '11, 19:15

L'Arc wrote:Nankyoku Tairiku on the news: http://www.mediafire.com/?95x6z32w1410ni3
Wow, TBS done it again. I was blown away with Karei naru Ichizoku and now this! It looks completely different from what I imagined it to be! Can't wait! Also, you should add Ayase Haruka to the thread's title :D
Thanks for the note :thumright:
And thanks for the clip!! Can't wait!!!

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Aug 22nd, '11, 08:24

E.G.
I doubt that Kimura handpicked Ayase. He just has a say in the choice when he can agree or disagree for any reason. I posted about their 'quality' meeting somewhere on your blog.... 8)

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Sep 12th, '11, 05:29

Cast [Updated]
Takuya Kimura
Haruka Ayase
Masato Sakai
Yusuke Yamamoto
Yu Yoshizawa
Yoshinori Okada
Kotaro Shiga
Yosuke Kawamura
Ishimoto Dronz
Susumu Terajima
Naoto Ogata
Kyohei Shibata
Teruyuki Kagawa
Mana Ashida
Tae Kimura
Yukie Nakama
Ryuta Sato
Tsunehiko Watase

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Sep 13th, '11, 19:31

Edit: September 13, 2011 - Jdrama Weblog added details about each character:

Kimura Takuya as Kuramochi Takeshi (deputy head of the first research expedition and in charge of geological observation and the dogsled)
Ayase Haruka as Takaoka Miyuki (Kuramochi Takeshi’s sister-in-law)
Nakama Yukie as Kuramochi Yukari (Kuramochi Takeshi’s wife)
Sakai Masato as Himura Haruhiko (expedition member in charge of weather observation)
Yamamoto Yusuke as Inuzuka Natsuo (expedition member in charge of observing auroras and the dogsled)
Terajima Susumu as Samejima Naoto (expedition member in charge of machinery and snowmobiles)
Ogata Naoto as Utsumi Noriaki (expedition member in charge of press coverage and general affairs)
Shibata Kyohei as Shirasaki Yu (head of the first research expedition)
Kagawa Teruyuki as Hoshino Eitaro (head of the winter team)
Sato Ryuta as Ando Michio (member of the third expedition)
Ashida Mana as Furutachi Haruka (Furutachi Ayako’s daughter)
Kimura Tae as Furutachi Ayako (daughter of Kuramochi Takeshi’s university professor who imparted everything on the Sakhalin dogs to him)

More pics:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 13th, '11, 23:17

Thank you so much Mis Lonliah for the great Takuya and Dogs photos. He surely does get on with dogs and they love him back I think. :-)

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Sep 14th, '11, 20:36

Peggy wrote:Thank you so much Mis Lonliah for the great Takuya and Dogs photos. He surely does get on with dogs and they love him back I think. :-)
You're welcome! He does! He does! :roll

[ XD ]

Post by [ XD ] » Sep 19th, '11, 14:27

@MisS Lonliah Thanks for the pics :)
it's getting near X)

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Sep 20th, '11, 21:28

[ XD ] wrote:@MisS Lonliah Thanks for the pics :)
it's getting near X)
IT IS!!! 8)

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Sep 20th, '11, 21:31

SmappieSubs is going to release Hard subs for this drama.

Iris Zephyr

Post by Iris Zephyr » Sep 28th, '11, 01:48

:wub: :wub: :wub: Thanks for all the updates~ It's nearly here. :D

Here's a new promotion/preview clip:

Source: YYeTs

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Sep 28th, '11, 19:22

Iris Zephyr wrote::wub: :wub: :wub: Thanks for all the updates~ It's nearly here. :D

Here's a new promotion/preview clip:

Source: YYeTs
Great! :thumright: Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing!

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 30th, '11, 01:20

I am really getting impatient for this drama. It looks and sounds wonderful. Miss L thank you for this thread and your posts. :-)

Romance

Post by Romance » Oct 6th, '11, 03:53

Official site: http://www.tbs.co.jp/nankyokutairiku/

First ep is gonna be a 2h sp :-)

yanaliao

Post by yanaliao » Oct 6th, '11, 05:49

I can't wait as well! Just dropped by to say that! ahihihi... I've been anticipating this dorama since the day it was announced. I missed Kimura-san last year. *lolz*

Yay!!!!

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Oct 6th, '11, 17:55

The Chart:

Iris Zephyr

Post by Iris Zephyr » Oct 7th, '11, 01:35

@MisS Lonliah and Romance

Thanks for the updates! :D

In case anyone hasn't had the chance to check it out, here is the long navi about Nankyoku Tairiku. It includes short interviews with the cast, some making and behind-the-scenes clips and a run through on the history of the actual Antarctica voyage.

Link:

Source: KLoveTakuyaKimura@YouTube

Iris Zephyr

Post by Iris Zephyr » Oct 9th, '11, 14:00

The drama has an official Twitter account: @nankyoku_tbs

:-)

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Oct 9th, '11, 20:07

Many thanks @Iris Zephyr! :thumright:

Iris Zephyr

Post by Iris Zephyr » Oct 14th, '11, 15:55

One day left! :D

111013 Nankyoku Tairiku Navi - http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/D-ZXgVyBgWI/

111014 Hiru Obi (Nankyoku Cast Live participation) - http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/EJPNOv20eNE/
*Alternative link -

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Oct 15th, '11, 20:47

Today Is The Day :D
@ 21:00

Romance

Post by Romance » Oct 16th, '11, 14:11

Just watched first episode and it was amazing...

Navigator84

Post by Navigator84 » Oct 16th, '11, 14:23

Just watched with Keyhole TV. This drama is the better of the year '11 Can't wait next sunday ^^

nnnc

Post by nnnc » Oct 16th, '11, 14:27

The first episode was amazing, it went beyond my expectation which was already very high. I like how they established each characters and parts of their backgrounds nicely in just 2 hours. The casts were amazing as expected but
Riki (the dog)
simply stole the show :mrgreen: I literally clapped and yelled in front of my computer for
Riki
:salut:

Many touching scenes and excellent first episode ending. It gave both senses of closure and beginning at the same time. Looking forward to the sub and the next episodes.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Oct 16th, '11, 14:46

i hope someone will softsub this series :)

saladyum

Post by saladyum » Oct 17th, '11, 00:43

nnnc wrote:The first episode was amazing, it went beyond my expectation which was already very high. I like how they established each characters and parts of their backgrounds nicely in just 2 hours.

Many touching scenes and excellent first episode ending. It gave both senses of closure and beginning at the same time. Looking forward to the sub and the next episodes.
Reading this alone makes me excited.
Where did you watch it? Pandora has been frozen on me, too many viewers it said.

enggrrl

Post by enggrrl » Oct 17th, '11, 12:07

@nnnc: I agree with you, I loved that part! However
I felt bad for the little girl who lost Riki. But when your dog has a dream... *grin*. He's a natural, at least.
And general thoughts about the episode
I loved how much the general population helped. It was awesome to see the kids giving their money to the cause. I just had one question. The build and the training, arranging, etc, that took a couple of years or at least a year according to the calenders they showed, right? If so, why didn't the baby the one kid carried on his back ever age? O.o

I just finished watching Yusuke Yamamoto in Ouran High School Host Club, where he played an excellent Tamaki, a very goofy and comedic role. I'm hoping he gets to do more of a dramatic role in this, but so far seems like he's the comic relief.

I'd like to know if Kimura Takuya actually knows enough English that he could understand his lines or if he learned them by rote. Either way, that was entertaining.

Last thought...slicked hair guy worries me. He seems like he's going to be trouble, but could be just a red herring.

I don't speak japanese so I may have missed some of the more detailed points of the dialogue, but still enjoyed the episode a lot. I can't wait for next week.
@saladyum, depending on your timezone, you can try using keyhole. I'm not exactly sure how it works since I'm in Japan and watch it on air but friends have used it. It allows you to watch the station as it's being broadcast in Japan (Sunday at 9pm, so whatever that time is for you).

SunSama

Post by SunSama » Oct 22nd, '11, 01:41

Hi my friends,

We are back with Kimura Takuya!

Let me tell you that Kimura never disappoint with his acting skills. Even if we did not like his last two dramas, this is going to be one to remember.

First episode was excellent, worth watching! I will make no other comments at this time, but even if I cry my eyes out, I will keep watching till the end.

This is a real life drama, and lift up the spirits and the dreams to accomplish something.

The leading actress is Ayase Haruka from Hotaru no Hikari. Very good. I think chemistry between them will be in the air (someday) Lol.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Oct 22nd, '11, 01:54

i have to say this drama is really good, ep1 was really good

it's ayase and kimura's 2nd meeting in a drama after Mr Brain :)

ps790

Post by ps790 » Oct 22nd, '11, 05:09

The 1957 1st Japanese Antartic expedition was a huge deal at the time. A significant fraction of the Japanese postwar budget that year was spent on it - something equivalent to a moon shot at the time for Japan. The base site assigned to Japan was empty and available because nobody else considered it useable - it was even marked on the U.S. Navy navigation charts as "inaccessable." There was a good Project X (NHK) program on it, broadcast in two parts about 7 or 8 years ago. You can get DVDs of the Project X program via Amazon JP. The Project X program had a love interest, but it was all about one of the expedition members and his pregnant wife, who ended up giving birth to twins during the expedition. No women traveled on the ship down to Antarctica, etc. The expedition ship, a recycled wreck of a Soviet icebreaker, is on display at the Maritime Museum in Tokyo (near Tokyo Big Site). It looks like drama might make a big deal of the dogs, which would be a shame, because the human story of the organization of the expedition and the over-wintering group is quite interesting.

nuch1291

Post by nuch1291 » Oct 22nd, '11, 06:07

2012 8)

WildMuffins

Post by WildMuffins » Oct 23rd, '11, 01:11

If anyone's interested.... The drama is based on a book by Toru Kikuchi called "Antarctic Dogs" or "Dog Sledding in Antarctica". (I used Google's translation feature to get this info).

Here's a link to some fascinating pictures of the 1957 expedition taken by the author:
http://antarctica.kikuchigroup.com/inde ... nt=gallery

Here's a link to some other information about the dogs in the story:
Wakkanai Science Museum: http://www.city.wakkanai.hokkaido.jp/ka ... /index.htm

Japanese Wikipedia also had some interesting information on the original expedition and the dogs; but I can't paste the links here because the japanese isn't recognized. I found them by copying the japanese characters for Antarctica from the wiki title and followed the links.

nagikokiyohara

Post by nagikokiyohara » Oct 23rd, '11, 02:00

Really enjoyed the first episode. I usually watch silly dramas but this one really was a nice change of pace, and I love that it is based on a true story. The budget must be really high -- it really showed in the first episode. Looking forward to more ^__^

ices56

Post by ices56 » Oct 23rd, '11, 09:41

hey, this drama seems to have a theme similar to "Jin". it was really a heartfelt experience, but it somehow feels good to have the theme back.

this time it's a different story, and i am looking toward to another nice drama as well. :)

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Oct 23rd, '11, 17:57

Wildmuffins,

Most interesting post and I persevered to get the links. I think the new drama will show all of the interests of the people in the dogs. Hope the humans will also be well reflected. many thanks.

SaruSurfer

Post by SaruSurfer » Oct 23rd, '11, 19:48

Omg, this is awesome is what my friend said when he saw this drama.

Couldn't hold back tears myself...always been a sucker for dramas based on real life stories.

Thx WildMuffins, awesome links.

Romance

Post by Romance » Oct 24th, '11, 11:28

Second episode was also amazing! I can already feel that this is a masterpiece to remember for many many years.. wow!

denisa

Post by denisa » Oct 25th, '11, 07:52

Does anyone know where I could find english subtitle for this drama? I have downloaded the first episode but I could not understand anything at all........ :-( I was hoping someone will post a link for english subtitle, but.........nothing.
Thanks!