[Discussion] Nankyoku Tairiku(Kimutaku, Sakai Masato, Ayase)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
denisa

Post by denisa » Oct 25th, '11, 08:04

I think I have to say sorry and thanks........I have just received a message and received the link with the topic for english subtitle.........thank you again!

RetroHelix
Germany

Post by RetroHelix » Oct 25th, '11, 20:00

They really tried hard to bring as many "epic" scenes as possible together in the first episode^^ I liked all the heartwarming and impressive scenes in general but sometimes it was a bit too much imho.

L'Arc

Post by L'Arc » Oct 26th, '11, 15:54

Wow the first two episodes are amazingly well done, TBS really put their hearts into this drama!
Also, the main opening theme reminds me of JIN :)

Kimura-san... a living legend!

Darez

Post by Darez » Nov 16th, '11, 08:35

I really enjoyed the first two episodes.

But why has the ratings dropped from 22.2% in the pilot to 13.2% by episode 5? :-( Any japanese news sites speculate why?

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Nov 20th, '11, 08:50

I rarely pay attention to ratings. However it does mean a lot in Japan for the financial comeback on a drama or film.
My guess for the drop would be that it is a very male oriented cast and will be for the rest of the drama. Also there is no romantic couple and many, or maybe I should say most of the fangirls won't like that. They will not be as likely to watch the party of men being aboard ship or having trouble with the ice or the weather etc.

It is a good true story and so far I think it is being done rather well. Very good cast.

Ka_tarinka

Post by Ka_tarinka » Nov 20th, '11, 11:11

But why has the ratings dropped from 22.2% in the pilot to 13.2% by episode 5?
I agree with Peggy.
Also probablly Sunday night was not the best choice for broadcasting such a serious story. This dorama is really good - in directing, acting, ets, so Nankyoku still has highest ratings in this Sunday's time slot. But It seems that a lot of viewers prefer to record the episodes and to watch them later, during the week. At least at a moment "Nankyoku" is a #1 in a rating of recorded TV programms in Japan.

Graucasper

Post by Graucasper » Nov 21st, '11, 21:01

For those who follow the ratings: 19.1 for ep6. Yay!

This is what I've been dreading - the major "heartwrenching" begins. I'm almost afraid to watch the next episode. But the story is so powerfully implemented (in every aspect, you name it), that I won't miss it for anything.
A basket for used tissues - as soon as I heard what the drama would be about those 9-10 months ago - I knew I would need it. The film had impressed me enough. But this drama is one of the most awesome things in the recent years.

ps790

Post by ps790 » Nov 21st, '11, 22:57

I uploaded the TRUE story of the 1957 Japanese south pole expedition as two torrents two days ago (i.e. the Project X programs from January of 2004), each corresponding to about 43 minute broadcasts from International NHK. They have been dropped from the D-Addicts WWW site, but you may be able to find them on one of the other torrent WWW sites since torrents get cross-posted. You could also ask that the D-Additcts operator undelete them if you are interested.

In contrast to this drama, the dogs were not important for success of the actual expedition. They are far too heavily emphasized to make the drama more appealing to the general public, who was clueless about the real science issues of the expedition (aurora and geology). You can see the statues of the (relatively useless, but poplular) dogs at the foot of Tokyo Tower, where there is a simple monument. The snow tractors worked just fine and were more dependable than the dogs. I've got a friend who was on the 1957 expedition and drove tractors, but not a member of the Ettoutai, and I've seen his photos from the expedition. Another fact that was dropped from this drama is that the Soya had to be rescued by a ship from another country each time it went down to Showa Kichi. The first time, the Russians saved the Soya (ignored in this drama, although the second time, it was the US, as per the drama). The Soya was built for the thin ice of the western Siberian ports, not the thicker ice of Antarctica, so it was simply too small and underpowered for the task. You can visit the Soya at the maritime museum near Tokyo Big Site.

Graucasper

Post by Graucasper » Nov 22nd, '11, 07:56

Well, that's why it's a TV-drama and not a documentary =) It raises and emphasizes the themes that the creators think more important and appealing today. It's all very natural and not at all degrading for the drama. I think I'd watch those programs (such things are always interesting) after Nankyoku Tairiku ended, only if I knew what they are called.

Ka_tarinka

Post by Ka_tarinka » Nov 22nd, '11, 14:20

[quote="ps790"] The first time, the Russians saved the Soya (ignored in this drama)

Right you are. In 1957, at February, 25, the icebreaker of the Soviet Antarctic expedition "Ob' " got a call from "Soya" that was blocked in ice field. The Soviet icebreaker was much stronger than "Soya", it was suited to deal with a strong ice, so it was able to help. At February, 28 "Ob" managed to break the 10 miles route in the ice field, reached "Soya" and than helped Japanese ship to get out of the trap.

It happened exactly after "Soya" leaved the 1st wintering expedition in Antarctica, on its way back to Japan.

So, yes, in the series they did ignore this fact. Oh, do Japanese dislike us, Russians, that much? :P :mrgreen: It's an interesting fact, but "Soya" was built just before the WW II - in 1938 - by order and for the Soviet Union and initially even had a Russian name "Volochaevets". But the customer didn't buy it out due to the change of politic situation (war) so the ship remained in Japan.

Graucasper

Post by Graucasper » Nov 22nd, '11, 14:42

Ka_tarinka wrote: So, yes, in the series they did ignore this fact. Oh, do Japanese dislike us, Russians, that much? :P :mrgreen:
No, I don't think they do =) It would just kind of defeat the whole purpose of the first part of the dorama. Instead (note: they might have simply not mentioned the fact of the first rescue to maintain the same patriotic spirit) they focused on the wintering mission with some quick peeks onto the main land.
The reason the second rescue is mentioned is because it is strongly, very strongly required by the plot. I don't think the first one was, and certainly won't hold it against the creators for dropping it; being Russian myself, I'm not at all bothered by it - I even think it's better this way.
Last edited by Graucasper on Nov 23rd, '11, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.

Michie_

Post by Michie_ » Nov 22nd, '11, 23:06

What bothers me about this drama is "the lost nation" talk. They made it sound it's a bad thing Japan lost WOII and they should take revanche through this expedition.

I understand the Japanese people had suffered throughout the war and i have strong doubts about the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. They could have dropped a bomb on a remote island to show the impact to the Japanese. I'm sure that would have been efficient as well. And let's not talk about the completely unnecessary bombing of Tokyo march 45.
But anyway; Japan never had a chance of winning the war. They where fighting a war which they never should have started and where (together with Italy) losers throughout the entire war. Which, of course is a good thing. Could you imagine a world where Japan wasn't such a poor war country? It probably wouldn't had changed the outcome of the conflict much but it would have meant much more victims.

Don't get me wrong. I'm really enjoying Nankyoku but a little humility couldn't hurt.
The Japanese where the bad guys in the war. Not some country that lost a soccer match and wants a second chance.
Also, the main opening theme reminds me of JIN
Glad i'm not the only one :P

Iris Zephyr

Post by Iris Zephyr » Nov 23rd, '11, 16:13

Hiya! Just in case anyone's interested, I translated a few comments/reviews from the Nankyoku Tairiku message board.

Reviews after the latest episode (Episode 06): http://rz-jocelyn.livejournal.com/35776.html

When the drama first started, I also did a small translation post after Episode 03: http://rz-jocelyn.livejournal.com/33112.html

Enjoy~ :lol

Ka_tarinka

Post by Ka_tarinka » Nov 23rd, '11, 18:30

Michie_ wrote:What bothers me about this drama is "the lost nation" talk. They made it sound it's a bad thing Japan lost WOII and they should take revanche through this expedition.

The Japanese where the bad guys in the war. Not some country that lost a soccer match and wants a second chance.

:P
Well, I don't have problems with this topic in Nankyoku, more over I really like it. My country was on the other side in that war but I can understand emotions of Japanese anyway.
It was not a lost soccer match, you know. For Japan it was the first big war with foreign countries where it was defeated - and occupied by foreign army, also for the first time in its history. It was a national chatastrophe, heavy and deep national humilation, shame and defeat. So after the war they had to leave with it and to deal with this feeling somehow. It's a heavy burden, I think... OK, they were wrong in the war, but they had to pay for it a big price, aren't they? And such terrible national humilation does not make any nation happy even if it was at the "wrong" side in the war, ne?

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Nov 25th, '11, 08:31

Ka_tarinka,

Well said in your post.
this time was still new for Japan to be out in the world. Not all that far from the shogun days. Honour was everything. I would only add that in all sides and every country there are heroes and villains. It all depends which side you happen to be on. War is hell and in the end no-one wins.

All expeditions to the South Pole were hazardous and took lives of men as well as dogs. I remember weeping over the book 'Scots Last Expedition' Very difficult to read aloud in class. Still a wonderful story just like this story of the Japanese expedition.

lvtk

Post by lvtk » Nov 28th, '11, 22:17

After rating was up from 13.2% to 19.1% last week, I was so happy for Nankyoku Tairiku's teamwork because I personally think that it is a very good drama. So, I was looking forward to see how the rating would go this past Sunday. When I saw 13.4% on dramawiki today.. I fainted!!

Drama Prime Time Report – November 18th~20th had Captain's picture with the head line "Back from the dead? ("Nankyoku Tairiku" - TBS)" when the rating went up to 19.1% last week.

So, I guessed the head line this week might be "Back to the dead? ("Nankyoku Tairiku" - TBS)" since the rating was back to 13.4% again (from Dramawiki)... *sigh*

Is it because there were any special programs (such as live sport) on Sunday 11/27 in Japan? Or is it because this drama is not interested in Japan? Or is this drama too sad to watch? I am sorry to mumble these thinkings. I don't live in Japan so I really don't know TV program overthere and curious to know how Japanese people feel about this drama.

I hope Nankyoku Tairiku's teamwork will not feel discourage and disappointed too much. Personally, I think all actors including dogs in this drama are amazing.

Romance

Post by Romance » Nov 30th, '11, 06:16

I cant understand the low ratings... its such a quality production with great actors and a great story. But I think it has something to do with Kimura Takuya, the japanese are simply tired of him now.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Nov 30th, '11, 06:52

Rubbish...... The Japanese are not tired of Takuya Kimura. They just can't quite get used to him being in an interesting historical true story. Longtime fans can't give up the romantic ideas for the dramas they saw when Kimura was in his twenties and early thirties. He is not going to do thse dramas again. It would have to be an older actress who can give some credence to any love story. they do exist but Kimura has to find the right one himself.

I have yet to hear of an admirer saying they are 'tired of Takuya Kimura'

Romance

Post by Romance » Nov 30th, '11, 07:36

Well ive lived in japan for soon 5 years and most of the people ive talked to are tired of him by now. One reason why many people seem to dislike/get tired of him are the commercials he is in all the time recently, often dancing alone trying to look sexy and simply behaves like a true narcissist - we are talking in EVERY CM. Atleast that makes my japanese friends (female too) change channel every time :D

Sure there are millions of fans left, but he is definately losing popularity.
And historical drama? Kirei naru ichizoku was a hit.

If nankyoku tairiku had another leading male cast, im sure the ratings would have been better. 13% is a joke for a drama that cost 10 billion yen and has an otherwise all star cast. Definately a proof that the japanese are getting tired of him. He should have realized this aftere moon lovers...

It would surprise me if he dares to star in another drama again after this.

Ka_tarinka

Post by Ka_tarinka » Nov 30th, '11, 08:21

IMHO, this is quite strange and unfair to blame Kimura for ratings problems of Nankyoku. Beg your pardon, but the reason "they are tired of him" sounds for me a bit...stupid. Some people could be tired of the same face in CMs, true. But how can anyone be tired of a good acting? Kimura is not just "an idol" with nothing except pretty face. He's a very talented, skilled actor and he's doing his job in "Nankyoku" really well, his performance is strong and touching... That's what my eyes see on the screen.

"if he dares to star in another drama again after this" - what the rubbish?? Acting. performing is the main talent of his. Kimura needs to play in dramas/in cinema, to do it more often than now - otherwise this will be a waste of talent. Yes, Kimura now is not so popular as in his young idol days, but this is a natural thing - he's a mature man now and young girls have new young idols.
Last edited by Ka_tarinka on Nov 30th, '11, 20:04, edited 3 times in total.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Nov 30th, '11, 09:25

I suppose actually I should not call this drama 'historical' any more than 'the Grand Family' should be 'historical.' It is the modern era and certainly in my lifetime. I don't quite feel historical yet. I have no thoughts on commercials but that is work to earn a living which is nothing to do with films or dramas.

Takuya Kimura is a splendid entertainer whether in comedy, music or drama. I must agree that the last drama with the lady from Taiwan(?) was not good but that was because she was not capable of playing the role. That has been well discussed in many forums.I have certainly expressed my views on this model.

Really have watched Kimura for almost twenty years and find him advancing rather well in his many experiences with SMAP and with dramas. He certainly is not afraid to try new things with film but has yet to be given a part that shows his acting capabilities in a long role.
I doubt very much that Takuya Kimura will drop out of sight as long as he wants to be in the entertainment field. This does include acting which I find him doing very well, and even better in most of his roles.
This present drama is splendid with a very good cast and I think probably a very capable director and crew.
I think the end results will show a popular acceptance all around.

Iris Zephyr

Post by Iris Zephyr » Nov 30th, '11, 15:28

@Romance

I agree 100% with what Peggy and Ka_tarinka have said. Just to add my two cents.
Romance wrote:Well ive lived in japan for soon 5 years and most of the people ive talked to are tired of him by now. One reason why many people seem to dislike/get tired of him are the commercials he is in all the time recently, often dancing alone trying to look sexy and simply behaves like a true narcissist - we are talking in EVERY CM. Atleast that makes my japanese friends (female too) change channel every time Big Smile
This is your personal opinion and experience, and I respect that. But, I would also like to point out that "Nankyoku Tairiku" topped the drama recording/HDD ranking. If the Japanese public in general are tired of Kimura-san, as you are implying from your reference to the people you've talked to, people wouldn't be recording the drama on their HDD so that they can keep it and watch it repeatedly.

Also, a lot of other factors contribute to ratings, not just the participation of actors and actresses. "Nankyoku Tairiku" started off at a rating of 22.2%; the highest first episode rating of the season and the only drama this season to start off above 20% for its first episode. This clearly shows that Kimura-san's name and star power can pull audience in and generate hype. However, whether or not the drama actually keeps its audience depends on other things, such as plot, and as I have mentioned earlier, real time ratings are affected by many other factors.

Also, ratings aren't the only measurement of success for dramas, though it is one of the most visible, and arguably, most important measurement. Ever since the PR for "Nankyoku Tairiku" began, the number of visitors to Souya (the ship used by the expedition crew in the drama) has increased. It peaked on the 24/10, which is 8 times the number of people that visited the ship during the same time last year. This shows that, not only are the Japanese public interested in the drama, it has also inspired them to think deeper into it and learn more about the real story behind it; the drama has moved people enough that it is no longer merely a drama, but something that they can learn from and gain experience from.

As a side note, during the time it was aired, "Nankyoku Tairiku" also ranked in 3rd in the ranking of "Popular Real Time Search Words" in "Yahoo!".

I will not comment on your opinion that "he is in all the time recently, often dancing alone trying to look sexy and simply behaves like a true narcissist" because as a fan, I obviously do not view him that way and people's interpretations on celebrities can be very different depending on how much connection they have with the celebrity. However, your assumption that he does it in "EVERY CM" is not quite true. He has a completely different image character in his Tamahome CMs and his Toyota CMs. And, let's not forget the cutesy banana dance he did in the DOLE CMs together with Shingo. :D Also, it is not really anything new that Kimura-san has many antis/non-fans; he has had them even during the peak of his popularity and career. He has always been an individual that attracts attention.
Romance wrote:If nankyoku tairiku had another leading male cast, im sure the ratings would have been better.
We can speculate about this all we want, but we will never know for sure. One thing we do know is that the role of Kuramochi was offered specifically to Kimura-san. The director, who had worked with him on "Karei Naru Ichizoku" before, had had a strong desire to work with Kimura-san again. In 2009, he gave Kimura-san the choice between two scripts: "Mr. Brain" and "Nankyoku Tairiku". At the time, Kimura-san chose to work on "Mr. Brain", but as we can see, the director actually kept the role in "Nankyoku Tairiku" for Kimura-san, and offered it to him again this year.

As for this,
Romance wrote:13% is a joke for a drama that cost 10 billion yen and has an otherwise all star cast. Definately a proof that the japanese are getting tired of him. He should have realized this aftere moon lovers...
and this,
Romance wrote:It would surprise me if he dares to star in another drama again after this.
13% is hardly a black mark in drama history, and there are other equally big productions which have fallen into single digits (below 10%) before, so I hardly think something like this is going to stop him from being an actor, and most of all, from being a person who loves to create things that his fans can enjoy. And, despite all this cries of outrage surrounding the drop in ratings, "Nankyoku Tairiku" actually still ranks in as the 2nd highest rated drama this season so far.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Nov 30th, '11, 19:12

Iris Zephyr.

Many thanks for all your detailed remarks. You have been so much clearer than I was in my posting. I do think that dramas will never reach the hig ratings they had ten or more years ago. People now can record and save dramas for later viewing and I think that is one reason the immediate ratings have fallen for ALL dramas. No matter what individual episodes may rate, generally it will be found that a Kimura drama will end up with the highest rating over the season.

The director who wanted him for his drama is not the only director who values the actor. He was especially chosen for the lead in the third in the cycle of samurai stories to do 'Bushi no Ichibun' I doubt there would be anyone who would say Kimura should stop acting after viewing that production.

Regarding commercials. Kimura said in interview that with all commercials he 'turns up
for work' and then they tell him what they want and how they want him to appear. He follows their lead and rarely does he do anything other than what they instruct. If he has any suggestions he will make them and maybe they will agree to a change and maybe they won't/.It is their project and he does what they say. Makes sense to me.

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Nov 30th, '11, 19:32

Maybe it's true that Kimutaku isn't popular as before, but his acting skills are still great and this drama is great too so i don't mind if the ratings are poor or not :P I hope he will act in some other historical/epic dramas in the future (like Karei naru .. and now Nankyoku ..). These dramas fits more in his age than some silly lovestories like moon lovers.

lvtk

Post by lvtk » Dec 1st, '11, 03:54

Thanks to "Iris Zephyr" very much for sharing so several details relating to "Nankyoku Tairiku". I love this drama and hope that people will watch it thru each actor's ability more than just "a current popularity".

When I was watching this drama, I saw"Kuramochi" but not "Kimura-san", "Himuro" but not "Sakai-san", and so on. For me, that is the truly amazing success of all casts (including all dogs) in this drama.

Also, thanks to everyone who loves this drama through all casts' skills and abilities for delivering such one of the greatest epic dramas.

(BTW, I don't know whether it was the writer's intention or not, everytime Kuramochi teased Himuro, I always melted!! LOL...I mean..with such a deep friendship between them.. love it!!!)

Ka_tarinka

Post by Ka_tarinka » Dec 1st, '11, 07:49

lvtk wrote: When I was watching this drama, I saw"Kuramochi" but not "Kimura-san", "Himuro" but not "Sakai-san", and so on. [/i]
Yes, right you are! The same is with me! All actors in this drama "became" their characters! All the cast is doing their job so well - without any exception. And btw Kimura's "Kuramochi" is SO different from usual Kimura, ecpesially Kimura from glamour magazines or CMs as if these are different people. I can hardly recognize him in this role.
lvtk wrote: (BTW, I don't know whether it was the writer's intention or not, everytime Kuramochi teased Himuro, I always melted!! LOL...I mean..with such a deep friendship between them.. love it!!!)
Yes, me too! I love to se the development of their friendship. But if at the beginning of the story it was Kuramochi who tried to help Himuro, to support him somehow, now, after the Episode 7, I suppose it will be Himuro's turn to help and support Kuramoti... because I'm afraid the man will be in a very bad emotional conditiond after what had happened with his beloved dogs.

hikaeru

Post by hikaeru » Dec 7th, '11, 15:05

Haven't been watching GOOD dramas for so long!
This drama is the best and perfect drama for this season!!
...I stopped watching Youkai 15 minutes of first episode, complained a lot even for the very first seconds of episode 1 Kaseifu no Mita, all because of the weak casts and flow-less scripts and even though the main role is doing good, the supporters are sucked! ...but, I cried every time I watched this drama.
Everyone does their characters well and I'm totally absorbed into this drama and feel like I'm one of their team members T-T ...Strong script with good flow, full of messages!
Everything is perfect!
Though I think they better find a better person for Inuzuka's sister role. The girl can't act!! It spoils the mood.
Kinda shocked to see the rating... I can't believe myself stop watching the dramas with the rating of 17~29% but cried and addicted watching this 13% rated drama. :cry:

Ka_tarinka

Post by Ka_tarinka » Dec 10th, '11, 12:13

Kathstandsalone

Post by Kathstandsalone » Dec 16th, '11, 09:14

Ahh! it's quite a tear-jerker to see the Sakhalin huskies dying one by one....

episode 9:
Kuma's chain was stuck in the ice. And when the ice breaks away, the other 3 (Riki, Taro and Jiro) jumped to safety. Kuma is floating away further from them ... trying to break free from the chain but couldn't. When Riki looked as if he wanted to go down to the water & rescue Kuma ... Kuma barked as if to say, "No! Don't come!" then Riki made this moaning sound. Huhu... :/

nnnc

Post by nnnc » Dec 19th, '11, 23:30

Last episode = 22% with the highest moment of 25.5%

I strongly don't believe any other lead actor can pull off this kind of rating. 13% is NOT low in today standard and the average of 17.3% is indeed excellent. (this equals to about 20% in the good old day of drama prime period) Sure, TBS probably projected higher rating when they first planned for the drama but I think they are still content with the result. The drama was supposed to be a special drama to commemorate the station's 60th anniversary and they just want to come up with an excellent drama to celebrate it.

Poor Kimura, his only enemy is his own success in his peak. If any other actor earn this kind of ratings (Moon Lover's included), he would be praised and the drama would earn another SP episode or even a movie. But not with the "Kimutaku", anything below 20% and people would blame him for it. Isn't that a bit unfair? Give me a name of any other actor who did better than Kimura Takuya in the past two year. His dramas still earned decent rating (Moon Lover was 16.8%), Space Battleship Yamato earned US$49 million dollar and broke all kinds of record with its DVD and Blu-Ray sales. Even when he's pushing 40, he still is the top actor in Japan and has achieved much more than anyone else.

Kimura Takuya always has and always will have a handful of detractors. Those who will shut up when he is doing well but gleefully criticize when he delivers less than an A+ result.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Dec 20th, '11, 20:04

Dear nnnc,

I read your last post with great sympathy. I have beaten the same drum for years about Kimura san and his talents and his acting and his great personality.
For some reason there have always been people who like to be totally negative about Kimura to the meanest degree. I have never quite understood this attitude. I finally decided that these people were jealous and envious and totally untalented in their own lives. what else could cause such venom?

Considering his huge popularity with directors who all want to have him in their films...and considering all the commercial companies who really want his work on their advertising...and considering he can charm the flowers off a plant without picking it....what can I say. He has a natural born way of living his life without any false bravado. He can observe and appreciate other people in the business...especially comedians. I have never seen such genuine pleasure when he is watching any performer who is making people laugh.
It is only possible to truly enjoy and appreciate the abilities of Kimura when you have watched him perform in so many fields to the best of his capacity. He has a total enjoyment and gives one hundred per cent whatever he is asked to do.

He has a huge aura which does not fade with age. He just matures and gets on with the job at hand.

leonaheidern

Post by leonaheidern » Dec 24th, '11, 01:53

Heres what I thought about the last ep
I hated the fact they made Kuramochi come just hours late after Riki's Passing. I mean since they already changed history by making sure Riki was saved from falling off that cliff. Couldn't they at least let Riki go home to Haruka and Ryo?

avieamber
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by avieamber » Dec 25th, '11, 16:57

leonaheidern wrote:Heres what I thought about the last ep
I hated the fact they made Kuramochi come just hours late after Riki's Passing. I mean since they already changed history by making sure Riki was saved from falling off that cliff. Couldn't they at least let Riki go home to Haruka and Ryo?
I really wanted Riki to return safely, but history can't just be changed since it's based on true story. The fact remains that Taro and Jiro were the only ones that made it out alive. I cried like a baby when I saw Riki's corpse, that was really sad. :cry: But I think they decided to make Riki escaped the cliff incident was to let him go back to the station, just to make it even more dramatic than letting him die over a cliff. And the only thing I wanted in the final scene was at least a HUG from Kuramochi and Miyuki! Too much to ask? :glare:

Ka_tarinka

Post by Ka_tarinka » Dec 25th, '11, 17:32

avieamber wrote: And the only thing I wanted in the final scene was at least a HUG from Kuramochi and Miyuki! Too much to ask? :glare: [/spoiler]
Different countries have different traditions, moreover these were late 50-s - people's behaviour was more modest that now. So may be for the late 50-s in Japan hugs with a man in a public eye were not appropriate for a girl?

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Dec 28th, '11, 18:55

Finally got the time to write my thoughts about the final episode

It was a good episode but not
perfect. The last scenes of the old/current places were a good addition. I wished if there was some kind of a speech given by Kuramochi to the kids or to someone. Or a scene with a real touching dialogue or at least a funny one.
In other words, the final episode was very plain and just futile. There is a very very huge gap between the level of the 1st episode and the level of the final one.
The cast and the dogs both were wonderful throughout the drama though.

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Dec 28th, '11, 19:00

leonaheidern wrote:Heres what I thought about the last ep
I hated that too. It is supposed to be the most touching scene in the final episode, but it seemed very annoying to me.

Keikan

Post by Keikan » Dec 29th, '11, 10:02

I started watching this yesterday and I'm loving it! At first I was a bit hesitant because of the actors: I've seen Ayase Haruka and Kimura Takuya in so many dramas that I thought I wouldn't like it (not that I don't like these actors, I just thought I needed a bit of a change). In truth though, the cast, the production, and the story are so great that I hardly mind seeing them again in a new drama. You can really feel that TBS put a lot of effort in this drama: every episode feels like a movie, and that in itself makes it all the more pleasurable to watch! :D

On a side-note: this drama reminds me of Jin in its display of patriotism; with the Japanese nation trying to stand up to the West. Having studied Japan, I know this is has been a recurring concern over Japanese History, but I'm starting to find the amount of patriotism displayed in certain dramas these days a little worrying. In any case, I find it slightly estranging as a viewer. :scratch:

digitalcoconut

Post by digitalcoconut » Jan 17th, '12, 03:03

definitely one of the best of 2011..

but after 6th episode, i believe they emphasized much on the dogs.. so, its a big let down for me.. i prefer they concentrate on the humans struggling or scientific research, what Japanese achieved on these missions etc. but perhaps the dogs suffering will appeal more to Japanese audience..

im trying to ignore the facts and history.. so, this is very good epic drama..

sunflower63

Post by sunflower63 » Apr 3rd, '12, 11:49

this is definitively one of my all favourite dramas. I started watching it by pure chance as a fan of Kimura Takuya and had no idea of the story behind it. Of course I was totally swept away by the story and cried my eyes out throughout all of the episodes that involved the dogs. I thought Kimutaku's performace was absolutely superb and in my opinion worth of an Oscar nomination at least (if these existed also for Jdramas). This is a fantastic drama that I would recommend but that I will never rewatch again because it really broke my heart.

fifimimi

Post by fifimimi » Apr 12th, '12, 02:47

Once again KimuTaku has starred in another great drama...its almost a guarantee to me that when he is in a drama, it will be one of my favs of that year and a worthy watch (except moonlight loves).

I cried so many times during this drama and I'm not even an animal/dog lover. I like the fact that it was a slice of history (though I know there must have been adjustments here and there) and the graphics and effort they put into this drama is amazing. I cannot tell what is real or not, from what I see...it feels like they really did do all the filming in antarctica and all the huskies did act amazing!! I would recommend this as one of the must watches from 2011!!