Top 5 most underrated jdramas

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
L'Arc

Post by L'Arc » Dec 26th, '11, 21:23

«minah» wrote:^
I'm not sure if Shinzanmono is underrated... it's based on Higashino's novel (pretty much all dramas adapted from him are usually good and looked on positively) and it already had a SP & a movie. Maybe on intl forums/sites it's underrated/not talked about too much (but I think even the the Shinzanmono thread here had many people commenting ^^)
You're right maybe it's because I rarely see it mentioned around here that I thought it was underrated.

It's a must see anyway. I still listen to the soundtrack to this day :P

lontong.stroong

Post by lontong.stroong » May 12th, '13, 09:14

My personal most underrated drama ever:

Medaka
better than almost all school drama, the first 5 episodes are great

Suzuki Sensei
Very different type of school drama, shame it only got very low rating due to airing time, but personally this is best school-themed drama you can get.

Shinya Shokudo (both seasons)
Nice soothing slice of life drama

Suika
Yup this is it, the most underrated dorama ever! Heartwarming and offbeat at the same time and excellent cast who were all very well characterized.
Last edited by lontong.stroong on Jun 12th, '14, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.

funretrolook

Post by funretrolook » May 15th, '13, 10:31

ecco27 wrote:Ahh all this talk about Utahime. I loved Utahime at the time, it was one of the first dramas I finished and I was so sad about the ratings because I think it was better than that. I liked Suzu and I'm not crazy about Aibu now but back then I hadn't seen her in anything else. Yeah I was a bit disappointed with the ending and I found many of the characters annoying at some point but overall I really liked it.
When I saw this topic, Utahime was the first title that came to my mind, but I didn't expect to find a whole string of replies discussing Utahime on this thread! Well I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who feels it's one of the most underrated J-dramas ever aired. I just finished rewatching it yesterday, and I still loved it as much as I did the first time. I still think it's one of the best endings I've seen.

DragonSpikeXIII

Post by DragonSpikeXIII » May 15th, '13, 11:27

Homework and Okane ga nai! are two great 90's doramas that don't seem to get much appreciation.

lontong.stroong

Post by lontong.stroong » May 15th, '13, 13:36

funretrolook wrote:
ecco27 wrote:Ahh all this talk about Utahime. I loved Utahime at the time, it was one of the first dramas I finished and I was so sad about the ratings because I think it was better than that. I liked Suzu and I'm not crazy about Aibu now but back then I hadn't seen her in anything else. Yeah I was a bit disappointed with the ending and I found many of the characters annoying at some point but overall I really liked it.
When I saw this topic, Utahime was the first title that came to my mind, but I didn't expect to find a whole string of replies discussing Utahime on this thread! Well I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who feels it's one of the most underrated J-dramas ever aired. I just finished rewatching it yesterday, and I still loved it as much as I did the first time. I still think it's one of the best endings I've seen.
Utahime is underrated indeed despite its shortcomings

Has pacing issue especially in the middle, however its 4 first episodes were so funny and entertaining, as well as strong and pretty unusual ending which I really fond of.
The ending is predictable though, if you pay enough attention to it. I realized Suzu would end up with Croissant when he told his name as "Matsu no Croissant". The late owner (present time) of the cinema was by the name of Matsunaka
DragonSpikeXIII wrote:Homework and Okane ga nai! are two great 90's doramas that don't seem to get much appreciation.
Newer jdrama watchers should go and watch Okane ga Nai! I heard this series was popular by the time of its airing, but I doubt younger generations know this gem

YukawaManabu

Post by YukawaManabu » Aug 11th, '13, 14:30

How about Sakai Masato's JOKER? I don't know why it isn't much of a commercial success but it was pretty good. He's a wonderful actor.

pearlyriver

Re: Top 5 most underrated jdramas

Post by pearlyriver » Aug 29th, '15, 12:30

Considering that the last post in this thread was 2 years ago, I'd love to hear more recommendations for underrated jdramas recently. A lot of dramas shown in the midnight slot turn out to be quite good and deserve more attention.

lontong.stroong

Post by lontong.stroong » Aug 29th, '15, 15:47

pearlyriver wrote:Considering that the last post in this thread was 2 years ago, I'd love to hear more recommendations for underrated jdramas recently. A lot of dramas shown in the midnight slot turn out to be quite good and deserve more attention.
Lunch no Akko-chan
Gin Nikan
Yuube no Curry, Ashita no Pan

pearlyriver

Post by pearlyriver » Aug 30th, '15, 05:02

lontong.stroong wrote:
pearlyriver wrote:Considering that the last post in this thread was 2 years ago, I'd love to hear more recommendations for underrated jdramas recently. A lot of dramas shown in the midnight slot turn out to be quite good and deserve more attention.
Lunch no Akko-chan
Gin Nikan
Thank you. I'm on the fence about the first and third suggestions but you've given me a reason to watch them. I'll give the second a try as well. I said that dramas witht unfavorable timeslots tend to be overlooked, but I'm open to suggestions for dramas in other timeslots that are underrated as well.

I've noticed that NHK dramas, with the exception of Taiga and Asadora, tend to be more over looked. Are they too sanitized for people's tastes?

uedajirou

Post by uedajirou » Aug 30th, '15, 10:36

Double Kicthen
Jyoou no Kyoushitsu
Nasake no Onna
Oniyome Nikki

lontong.stroong

Post by lontong.stroong » Aug 30th, '15, 16:45

pearlyriver wrote:
lontong.stroong wrote:
Lunch no Akko-chan
Gin Nikan
Thank you. I'm on the fence about the first and third suggestions but you've given me a reason to watch them. I'll give the second a try as well. I said that dramas witht unfavorable timeslots tend to be overlooked, but I'm open to suggestions for dramas in other timeslots that are underrated as well.

I've noticed that NHK dramas, with the exception of Taiga and Asadora, tend to be more over looked. Are they too sanitized for people's tastes?
Possibly. The audience loves more flashy and try-to-look-cool dramas. Aside of that, just like WOWOW's counterparts, they tend to cast real actors, who are unfortunately likely to be less popular than that of mainstream channels.

Oh and I just forgot to add Genkai Shuraku Kabukigaisha to the current underrated list.

KoChun

Post by KoChun » Sep 1st, '15, 13:38

> With Love
theme: internet with bank teller and composer

Code: Select all

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/With_Love
> Hagane no Onna (season 1)
theme: school

http://asianwiki.com/The_Woman_of_Steel_%28Hagane_no_Onna%29
> Deiri Kinshi no Onna
theme: investigative reporter

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Deiri_Kinshi_no_Onna
> Jyouou (season 1)
theme: night club

http://asianwiki.com/Jyouou
> Miyamoto Musashi SP
theme: warring state era savage turn ronin turn master swordsman

http://asianwiki.com/Miyamoto_Musashi_SP

uedajirou

Post by uedajirou » Sep 1st, '15, 17:34

Ah.. I forget:
1. Beginner (The one about lawyer, with Mimura etc)
2. Egao no Hosoku
3. Suika
4. At home dad

JackBauer2424

Post by JackBauer2424 » May 20th, '16, 10:13

The main site often lists ratings. Is there a database that can generate a list of Japanese dramas by ratings? Or a particular actor's dramas sorted by best ratings? Mysteries/suspense by best ratings? Police dramas by ratings? Romance by ratings?

I noticed some of the stinkers I watched were like less than 16%, but the better ones were like 20% or 30%. There were some I liked that had around 10% ratings. I'm curious what else got 20% to 30% ratings. I was surprised Musashi with Ryoko Yonekura didn't get great ratings.

I watched two episodes of With Love and not likely to watch the entire series.

ChaleChangZambarau

Post by ChaleChangZambarau » Aug 12th, '18, 03:32

With Love
Lady Joker
Atami no Sousahan
Ashita Kita no Yoshio
Zettai Kareshi

SusieQ

Post by SusieQ » Aug 12th, '18, 08:24

Well, since this topic is revived, what are some underrated/underwatched dramas from 2015 until now?

Yanez
Italy

Post by Yanez » Aug 15th, '19, 14:27

SusieQ wrote: Aug 12th, '18, 08:24 Well, since this topic is revived, what are some underrated/underwatched dramas from 2015 until now?
Hmmm...from 2015 on?
Here's 5 of them I think (I may be mistaken though) were not so popular - and I loved all of them:
(in reverse chronological order)

Koisuru Hong Kong
Otoko Meshi
Juhan Shuttai!
Teddy Go!
Koi no Sanriku Ressha Kon de Iko!

...and I'd also like to name "Prison School", which, albeit being probably popular (I'm not sure, but I have the feeling it was) really surprised me for being a lot wittier than I had expected it to be...

5 more titles which didn't make my "top5underrated" for the aforementioned period but went very close to doing so were:

Tsubaki Bunguten
Hannari Girori no Yoriko-san
Garasu no Ashi
Wakako Zake
Seigi no Se

:wink:

hhnd

Post by hhnd » Aug 29th, '19, 01:11

Came back to add Kazoku no katachi (2016). I wasn't familiar with the script writer and watched it for Juri, but in the end I loved everything about the drama. It really resonates with my generation, the Millenials, who are ruining everything in the world - retail, earth population, etc :D It's (mostly) realistic and touching, and nothing about it feels forced. It is now one of my all time favorites.