[Discussion] Soredemo, Ikite Yuku

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » Sep 15th, '11, 13:57

^The last episode finished a few minutes ago, so Soredemo, Ikite Yuku is over now.

shuzzack
Malaysia

Post by shuzzack » Sep 15th, '11, 15:27

happy ending?im at ep 9 now

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » Sep 15th, '11, 15:42

It's a 'happy' ending where everyone can get over the past and continues living on, but disappointing to me..
cause Hiroki and Futaba didn't end up together :-( I don't understand..
Nevertheless it's still my fav drama this season, kudos to all actors. The chemistry between the leads is very unique :wub:
Not sure if I'm gonna watch the entire series again though, esp with such ending..
Last edited by Nomanymore on Sep 16th, '11, 00:40, edited 1 time in total.

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » Sep 15th, '11, 16:08

It kind of ended like I expected it to end and that makes it disappointing to me. Because until episode 10 or so I didn't really know what would happen, but that ending was so typical and not even surprising that I feel sad that such a great exciting show ends like this.
Especially the last scene. Hiroki giving back the video. I mean sure, this shows how he learned to overcome everything that happened, but really? As a LAST scene? I just don't know. It lacked.

I think they should do a special. Like a 2 years later story. But Soredemo, Ikite Yuku wasn't the most succesful drama in terms of ratings so that won't happen, I guess.

eiensorae

Post by eiensorae » Sep 17th, '11, 08:45

I thought it ended perfectly!
It wouldn't have made sense for it to end any other way, considering the characters. Futaba felt the need to do what she could- she saw the mom of Yuri "crying" and felt like it was a plea to have someone take care for Yuri. She's fine with giving up her life for the girl because it's something that she can do- she can apologize but that won't help anything. By becoming the mother of Yuri, she's helping the situation directly. That whole decision is exactly the decision that Futaba, and many others in the same situation would do.

The reason Hiroki and Futaba can't be together is because they are far away from each other. Hiroki can't leave his father's house/shop and wants to be near his mother, so he can't move to be with Futaba.

The fact that they write letters to each others shows that they still love each other. We don't know by what the story has told us, but they could even be seeing each other from time to time in person.

I also liked the video returning scene being the last one. It tied the beginning of the show perfectly with the end. It showed that Hiroki had moved on from that day. That, and I liked that it was comical.
I think that the great writing (and acting) stayed throughout, including the last episode. It couldn't be a 100% happy ending, because the events that happened in the story were awful. The characters couldn't just ignore those things. A very emotional last episode that leaves all kinds of room for hope. I loved this show, every minute of it was beautifully written and acted.

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » Sep 17th, '11, 09:02

Yes, it was the expected ending. I didn't really believe in a 100% happy ending - but I really, really hoped for it. The end like it is now...I would almost call it an open ending because a lot of things are not even over. So I have the small, very small hope that there will be a continuation sometime in the future. But a show like Soredemo, Ikite Yuku....it is realistic that not everyone is running towards the sunset with a happy smile on their faces in the end. It wouldn't have worked.

voldemort

Post by voldemort » Sep 17th, '11, 20:18

I am 100% with you eiensorae. To me, the end is perfect, including the very last scene. It matches their characters.

And yes MaiKitty, it's sort of open ending as we can still hope for that missing percentage of happiness!

tarumpaw

Post by tarumpaw » Sep 19th, '11, 14:09

auroragb wrote:This is an awesome series! I've been pretty disappointed in the past few seasons, but this has revived my faith in j-Dramas.

Futaba character was simply superbly cast. She has a innocent feel to her that fits the emotionally stunted character that Futaba is. I look forward to the development of the series
she is so fragile and small that when fumiya hit her i was like OMG. she could be seriously hurt there in real life.

This drama just have everything in it. Great writing and casting and then rather superb acting. Who's the director he/she deserves a ton of credit here?

The story is too powerful, im taking a break after episode 8.

Romance

Post by Romance » Sep 20th, '11, 03:48

A great drama to remember. But about the ending, somehow I just expected something "more"...

rootabega

It's quality!!

Post by rootabega » Sep 20th, '11, 05:08

This dorama refuses to dumb down any aspect - subject matter, writing, acting, production values, etc.

I can handle difficult, heavy themes. It's those doramas that insult my intelligence that make me want to cry.

I'm up to episode 8 - will wait until all subs complete to finish viewing.

tarumpaw

Post by tarumpaw » Sep 20th, '11, 17:40

The only hole I see is the lack of depth of the youngest sister. She has no personality at all. She doesn't have any of the other casts "defect"

spazzy06

Post by spazzy06 » Sep 20th, '11, 21:53

^ I don't understand how anybody can say Futaba lacks depth and a personality. If the character lacked depth, she wouldn't have been so deeply effected by her brother's actions herself. Before she met Hiroki she lived a rather and shallow and pathetic life, yes, but to say the character is shallow herself is really stretching it.

*WARNING minor spoilers down below*

The Futaba I've saw in the beginning of the series was a timid, socially awkward, emotionally stunted women. Her thought process was not that of a well-adjusted 20 year old. The fact that she couldn't see her brother as anything but a kind middle schooler until recently speaks volumes. It's one thing to try to find the good in a person. It's a whole another thing to cling to their good qualities and ignore their faults. That's called deluding yourself.

I haven't seen the last three episodes yet, but I've already begun to witness the change in Futaba. She has subtly begun to evolve. She has gone from protecting her brother (example: warning Fumiya that Hiroki was coming after him) to trying to understand his actions herself (example: when she was trying to get answers from him and he was trying to drive off). She is still socially awkward herself, but she is no longer living in a fantasy world. She knows there is something seriously wrong with her brother. She now knows that they can't go back to the time before Aki was murdered. She knows that running away together wouldn't fix anything, put things make into place. Futaba no longer clings to the old Fumiya.

Fumiya and Hiroki have both played pivotal roles in Futaba's life. If Futaba had never met Hiroki and got to interact with his family, I think the character would still be living a listless life. She would still be pinning for the old Fumiya. I'm glad that she got to meet the victim's family and see how the murder effected them. She was living in her own bubble for so long, I think she needed that dose of reality in order to begin to heal. While Futaba will never be a normal 20 year old, I do think it's possible for her to move on with her life now.

I'm not sure how series wraps up, but I have faith that the rest of the story will be told in a compassionate and thoughtful manner.

kalayaan

Post by kalayaan » Sep 21st, '11, 01:17

I hope the English subs will be completed soon. I can't wait to watch this after reading your raves, guys. :D

tarumpaw

Post by tarumpaw » Sep 21st, '11, 07:34

^ I don't understand how anybody can say Futaba lacks depth and a personality. If the character lacked depth, she wouldn't have been so deeply effected by her brother's actions herself. Before she met Hiroki she lived a rather and shallow and pathetic life, yes, but to say the character is shallow herself is really stretching it.
nope i wasnt talking about futaba. in fact i love futaba. i was talking about the other sister. maybe the constant moving or the reminding of his father or futaba might have not affected her. But to be that "normal" is a bit of a stretch.

lol what made you think it was futaba anyway. the haunted look in her would make anyone say "whats wrong with her"

MaiKitty

Post by MaiKitty » Sep 21st, '11, 10:41

The name of the younger sister is Akari. Since her role is a very minor one, I don't think it is a flaw that her character is not explored more. They cannot explore every person in depth in such a short time.

By the way Futaba is 25 already and not 20.

spazzy06

Post by spazzy06 » Sep 21st, '11, 17:52

tarumpaw wrote:
nope i wasnt talking about futaba. in fact i love futaba. i was talking about the other sister. maybe the constant moving or the reminding of his father or futaba might have not affected her. But to be that "normal" is a bit of a stretch.

lol what made you think it was futaba anyway. the haunted look in her would make anyone say "whats wrong with her"
I haven't finished watching the series yet.

I wasn't aware there was another little sister introduced aside from Fumiya's aka Futaba. :/

But anyway, I'm glad you weren't talking about her. lol
MaiKitty wrote:By the way Futaba is 25 already and not 20.
I was generalizing when I wrote them. I knew she wasn't "exactly" 20.

tarumpaw

Post by tarumpaw » Sep 21st, '11, 19:44

The name of the younger sister is Akari. Since her role is a very minor one, I don't think it is a flaw that her character is not explored more. They cannot explore every person in depth in such a short time.
im not saying they should thoroughly explore her character. i just want her to have a personality. as it stands shes just like a messenger for futaba. she's not that minor anyway, seeing as she is a sister of the killer. great i've been so nitpicky. lol can't help but be too attached to this drama.

jecca

Post by jecca » Sep 23rd, '11, 21:44

I watched the last three episodes using the jp subs here (which i google translated out of sheer desperation), since I couldn't bear not knowing how it ends.
I was pretty much satisfied with the ending. I think it would take a bit more time before some sort of "closure" on both sides of the family. Like what was mentioned by others, it's difficult for them to be together since they have responsibilities of their own.

But of course I was quite disappointed that Hiroki got to have a mouth-to-mouth session with Fumiya but not with Futaba lol :P Maybe we can just hope for another drama or movie with Eita and Hikari. I like their chemistry and their awkwardness.
Great series and great acting. The other dramas I've watched this season were rather light so I really enjoyed watching something heavier/with more story. I'll re-watch the last episodes when subs are released.
Last edited by jecca on Nov 5th, '11, 06:11, edited 1 time in total.

dokaben

Post by dokaben » Sep 29th, '11, 02:31

I had a different interpretation of the ending...
At the amusement park Futaba sees a tree with fortunes tied to it.** She mentions to Hiroki that she used to think the trees were a weird type of postal system. He asks who delivers the letters and she doesn't say. After they separate, they're shown writing letters and tying them to trees. It's possible the letters aren't really being exchanged but written like journal entries. Each appears content with their lives, but slightly sad when tying the notes. They each hope their messages and feelings will be conveyed to the other...somehow.

And at the very end Hiroki jumps up and looks around. I'd like to think Futaba's message got through.

** (You see these trees at shrines. Basically you get these paper fortunes that predict different degrees of luck. If you get a bad fortune you tie it to a tree.)

voldemort

Post by voldemort » Oct 2nd, '11, 19:29

dokaben wrote:I had a different interpretation of the ending...
Very interesting one.

Pantheria

Post by Pantheria » Nov 4th, '11, 19:05

Best drama of 2011 for me. I really enjoyed this one a lot. Didn't disappoint. Personally I get why they ended like they did. Ok so if would have been nice if they'd gone to raise the girl together but it might have come accross as too much of a sugar coated ending when really it's quite a harsh story in the first place. :)
Last edited by Pantheria on Nov 10th, '11, 08:13, edited 1 time in total.

fhanggi
Canada

Post by fhanggi » Nov 8th, '11, 02:55

Best dorama in a long time except for the last episode..
Up until the end everything was so emotional and dramatic then they just wave goodby and she runs off.... I was hoping that Hiroki would offer to raise that little girl together with Futaba. I actually also never got what happened to the dad of that little girl?
I'm hoping for a special episode...

Akiramike
Fansubber
Fansubber
Australia

Post by Akiramike » Oct 12th, '13, 03:54

I've translated (poorly) half of the Sakamoto Yuji interview about this great dorama here:

http://hamsapsukebe.blogspot.com.au/sea ... ranslation

Pantheria

Post by Pantheria » Oct 12th, '13, 09:36

Akiramike wrote:I've translated (poorly) half of the Sakamoto Yuji interview about this great dorama here:

Thanks for the translation. It was very interesting. :)

Akiramike
Fansubber
Fansubber
Australia

Post by Akiramike » Jul 9th, '14, 11:15

Finally finished translating the whole Sakamoto Yuji interview.

po0t

Post by po0t » Nov 27th, '14, 11:27

i'm a bit late to this party.. just finished ep 8.. and i'm surprised that
there's been no mention of that SLAP!!

holy crap that was a