[Discussion] Ikemen Paradise (Hana Kimi 2011)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
enggrrl

[Discussion] Ikemen Paradise (Hana Kimi 2011)

Post by enggrrl » Jul 17th, '11, 13:12

I know there's a thread for the original Hana Kimi, but I figured that a new series needs a new thread. If the mods feel differently, please move this.

I've just finished watching the 2nd episode, and I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would. As much as many of the characters are the same, the story seems to be different enough that I'm not just assuming I know what's coming.

I think it's great how they've made Ohsaka High the "uncool" school rather than the popular school. And given them a run down building which needs work.

I like Atsuko Maeda better than I liked Horikita Maki. And I really thought that no one would be able to play the Nakatsu better than Ikuta Toma, but I'm really loving Shohei Miura in the role. He's got the right amount of goofy but it doesn't seem like he's trying to be Ikuta Toma, but making it his own. Aoi Nakamura is doing an okay job as Sano, but since the character is so stoic for the first while, he hasn't really had much to shine with...except the drunk scene, which was cute.

Anyhoo that's my 2 cents...

LaLaLaDRAMA

Post by LaLaLaDRAMA » Jul 23rd, '11, 04:23

Is it really worth watching? I downloaded the first episode, and after 20 minutes into it, I had to stop because it really felt like I was wasting my time. I do have to admit Maeda Atsuko is more tolerable than Horimaki.

josean06

Post by josean06 » Jul 23rd, '11, 07:18

I like Horimaki! She made HanaKimi along with Toma. The one that seem like they didn't belong was Shun, even though he was 25, he couldn't pull of a high schooler here for me.

Honestly I can tolerate Atsuko, but it too comparable to Horimaki's Ashiya, it's almost identical.

I like this series. Rating's aren't doing well at all. It almost dropped 50% the second episode. Hopefully it'll pick up, my guess is the time slot.

voldemort

Post by voldemort » Jul 23rd, '11, 21:29

No, not worth watching at all. First season was OK, but the new one is not adding anything. No point in that 2011 version.

Sayumi

Post by Sayumi » Jul 23rd, '11, 22:47

yeah why is there a 2011 version? :s seems like they can't get enough of their 'ikemen paradises'
lameeee

Romance

Post by Romance » Jul 24th, '11, 02:20

It's really lame.. not surprsied by the low ratings

LaLaLaDRAMA

Post by LaLaLaDRAMA » Jul 24th, '11, 06:00

Thats good to know that I'm not missing out by skipping this one. It really doesn't make sense for them to make the 2011 version when the first one is hard to top off. I guess they wanted to create a break out role for Atsuko, and all the young actors.

hunterkirualeorio

Post by hunterkirualeorio » Jul 27th, '11, 07:20

This picture explains it all.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jul 27th, '11, 08:03

hunterkirualeorio wrote:Image

This picture explains it all.
Wow what a shocking picture :fear: Is this girl really popular in Japan? :unsure:

HanaKimi 2007 was just okay for me, I was only crazy abt Toma's Nakatsu^^
So, I really don't know myself why I was even thinking of watching HanaKimi 2011, lol.

I watched the first 10 mins, skipped to Ashida Mana's cameo, then I deleted the file :whistling:

The second this version's Namba came out, I really lost all hopes for this drama.

outcast_within

Post by outcast_within » Jul 27th, '11, 08:28

I don't understand why there is a new one. Is this reboot or a new season with new students.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jul 27th, '11, 08:53

outcast_within wrote:I don't understand why there is a new one. Is this reboot or a new season with new students.
A reboot, same characters, same names, same story (I think), but different plot details.

outcast_within

Post by outcast_within » Jul 27th, '11, 08:58

I skipped through it. Totally not worth it. I think they also have a smaller budget as well.

If i'm sick please don't bring me to this room

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jul 27th, '11, 11:29

outcast_within wrote:If i'm sick please don't bring me to this room
:rofl:

hunterkirualeorio

Post by hunterkirualeorio » Jul 29th, '11, 08:13

yanie wrote: Is this girl really popular in Japan? :unsure:
Yes, she is the most popular girl in AKB48 at the moment. I honestly don't see her appeal at all but I'm not in her demographic. Maybe I am too old to watch high school drama but I did enjoy the older Hana Kimi :whistling:

whirow

Post by whirow » Aug 3rd, '11, 11:48

I'm just watching it because its Hana Kimi XD

enggrrl

Post by enggrrl » Aug 5th, '11, 14:30

I guess I'm the odd one out since I'm enjoying this version. Oh well, I'll keep watching, it's not like they'll cut it off mid-season if the ratings are bad (unlike in the US/Can).

P@permoon

Post by P@permoon » Aug 6th, '11, 01:47

Nya_Chan33 wrote:
enggrrl wrote:
P.S. - I wonder,..if this version was the first one (2007)... I wonder how people's opinion would change....
You can see the answer to your question easily on the low ratings. Hanakimi with these ratings would have flopped 2007, the same way it´s flopping now. I watched the first episode and tried the second, but to be honest, it´s just awful. And it´s not even the apparently low budget or that I´m biased towards the "original" (I´m not even a fan of it in the first place). For me it´s simply the really bad acting that makes this series unbearable. In my opinion this show is made only for hardcore fans and should belong into a late-night slot.

I think that you can see on the ratings of 10,1% for the first episode that some people tried to gave this remake a chance, but the fall to 5,5% proves that the appeal isn´t there that keeps people watching. You really can´t blame people for not liking and dropping something. And then there are also people who are simply not interested in yet another manga-adoption and wouldn´t even want to start watching, especially if it´s a remake and not a second season. See, Waterboys and Gokusen at least tried to come up with new characters and stories and worked as continuations. But this Hanakimi remake is just re-using known characters and the same story with another cast.

A remake does not always have to be worse than the original, because you actually have the possibility with a better cast and script (the two urgently necessary improvements) to correct what was not good in the first production. This Hanakimi remake falls flat, because it has neither of the two.

josean06

Post by josean06 » Aug 11th, '11, 01:59

I think the drama is coming to end. Episode 4 pretty much said it. They've sped through the drama, Nakatsu's already confessed his love for Mizuki, and Sano's already made the jump.

Too bad, because while I wasn't expecting much from this version, I liked it. :(

josean06

Post by josean06 » Aug 11th, '11, 02:09

Well, they might be able to save it. I've seen episode 5, and they delved into the rape scene which was from the manga right? I don't remember it in the manga, but I do remember it in the Taiwan version. Hopefully they bring in Julia and Ashiya's brother and parents, and I want them to use the manga, rather than just a condensed version like the other one.

Also, the old Oscar is coming back for some reason! Don't know why, but the previews were funny!

enggrrl

Post by enggrrl » Aug 19th, '11, 10:52

Not only was original Oscar there, but I'm pretty sure that this week they're bringing back the original Hibari.

While Sano has made a jump, he had to lower the bar, and he's not made the jump to compete with his rival. (Who I'm finding more attractive each week, even if he is evil...he was just so nice to his sister when she got turned down by Sano).

Yes, Natsu has confessed, but then he basically said ignore it, so there's still that to resolve.

Lastly, their school is supposed to be closed down shortly, somehow I think they're going to decide to try and save it, before the series can be done.

Anyhoo, that's my 2 cents.
Last edited by enggrrl on Aug 21st, '11, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.

Ryuuta

Post by Ryuuta » Aug 19th, '11, 14:15

when I read about the remake I was very skeptical
but I wanted to give this remake a chance and after I watched till episode 3 I thought that this remake is better than the first one in some points
1. much more better cast for Nakao, Kadoma (wasn't in 1. series), Oscar, etc (imo)
2. Umeda says that he is homosexual (the 1. Umeda didn't really show his homosexuality...I think)
3. Miura Shohei's Nakatsu is at the same level as Ikuta's Nakatsu (but imo Miura is a little bit better)

I'll follow this series till the end :-)

Skibblu

Post by Skibblu » Aug 23rd, '11, 09:06

I don't really think it's atrocious or anything, it's simply been there done that.

I do like some of the cast better though. Like Sano, Umeda (he's gay! Yes! but why isn't Akiha in it? =( why do they have to bring in the female reporter?), and Oscar (the last one creeped me out :whistling: ). Nakatsu, Namba-senpai and Nakao is doing a decent job too. =)

bluedarkness12

Post by bluedarkness12 » Aug 26th, '11, 01:34

I already dropped this series. Its too bad because this is the first time you see Maeda Atsuko playing a character that isnt just one dimensional which she has usually played past dramas. The series is not bad, its just average. Out of all that I am watching right now, it was the one I least cared about. I will probably finish it some time way later the show is over, when I have nothing to do

enggrrl

Post by enggrrl » Aug 28th, '11, 12:24

Watching today's episode...Sano's little brother is CREEPY!

electricBonBon

Post by electricBonBon » Sep 8th, '11, 16:03

A Japanese friend told me there's going to be a remake of "Hana Kimi" a few months ago. I was like "What, why?!", because the original one is only about 4 years old. Besides, the original was/is SO good, so why would they want to do a remake of it?
Of course I started watching it then, because I really like "Hana Kimi" and I wanted to know what they're gonna do with the new series. It's not too bad, I like it, but I like the original one much more. I miss Shun, Maki, Toma, Hiro etc so much in there. XD

But it's not bad.
Though it seems a little bit to me like Shohei-kun is copying Toma a little bit too much, but well, it's the same role after all, so .. I guess that's the way it has to be. I like Shohei-kun, it's not about that.

Anyways, of course I'm going to watch the full series (I watched 3 episodes so far). (:

enggrrl

Post by enggrrl » Sep 22nd, '11, 22:25

I have to say I loved the ending of this. I thought it was very natural and adorable! I just re-watched the original endings, and I definitly like this one better. But then again, I hate how wooden Horita Maki is whenever she has a kiss scene...so the whole airport kiss with Oguri Shun looks awkward to me.

Skibblu

Post by Skibblu » Sep 27th, '11, 14:11

I love the ending too =) I like the way they incorporate the original manga into the "run-down-school" idea, it made the last episode quite memorable.

I should probably rewatch the last ep of 07 one and the manga as well, but that probably won't be for a while ~____~

jecca

Post by jecca » Sep 30th, '11, 23:53

I actually attempted to watch the first episode after it aired, but I was too distracted with the girl who plays Ashiya. She's not a very good actress and I think her role in Q10 suited her more since she's a robot. Which reminds me, I think her best "acting" in Q10 was in the final episode when she meets Sato during the "present" time. It was a super short scene, but it was very natural and different from the robot acting. I was hoping she'd show some of that here, but unfortunately since she's a girl pretending to be a guy, it's always going to be awkward lol :)

And since most of the dramas I watched this season have just ended, I decided to give it another go. Just started watching it a few days ago and I'm already in episode 7!
In the end, I still prefer the original. I still think that the entire cast is a downgrade from the 2007 cast. Although Nakamura Aoi is sort of more good looking than Oguri Shun (I'm making a super general statement made by others, fyi!), I adore Oguri Shun because he's an amazing actor. But I think Nakamura Aoi's growing on me. I've always liked him from QED, though his acting hasn't improved that much. I prefer his Sano to Oguri Shun because he has slightly more emotions, like expressing interest and concern for Ashiya. On the other hand, Oguri Shun's Sano was more poker faced so I also like that too. I like both actors, so it's no contest for me :) I do miss Ikuta Toma. That guy (whose name escapes me right now) is funny at times, but mostly his antics are just weird..

However, I do like the slight change in the storylines. I like how there's some seriousness in the drama that wasn't in the 2007 version. I like how Sano saved Ashiya from the guy who harassed her (he's seriously a sick dude), and when they were finally safe from him, I was holding my breath waiting for Ashiya to reveal to Sano that she's a girl... Although that wouldn't really help the story since it's only the 6th episode :)

I'm currently watching the 7th episode and the succeeding episodes are on my queue list :) I like how Hibari and Oscar was there lol. So far, it's better than I expected. Not amazing, but decent. And that's enough for me to continue watching it.