Hiroyuki Sanada

Discuss about your favourite Japanese Actors and Actresses
errsurvivor

Hiroyuki Sanada

Post by errsurvivor » Dec 7th, '05, 13:02

Hiroyuki Sanada's movies and series for exchange

Hello dears!
:idea: I have an IMPORTANT BUSINESS for you!

During my time as a Sanada-san fan, I've managed to collect a lot :roll of films (Japanese DVDs and VHSs, American releases, avi files, some with English subtitles, some without). But I still do not have a lot of movies!!! :-(
I live in Moscow, Russia. If it's not a problem for you, I offer you to do exchange.
What do you think about the idea?
Please e-mail me and I send you my list!

Usagoness

Post by Usagoness » Dec 7th, '05, 16:58

who is he? never heard of him....
gotta find some info of him...

*zup*

errsurvivor

Post by errsurvivor » Dec 8th, '05, 00:54

Really?
Did you seen 'Ringu', 'Onmyoji 1', 'The Last Samurai', 'Tasogare Seibei', 'Kuokou Kyoushi' series, 'Ninja in the Dragin's Den'?..
You can find info about Hiroyuki Sanada's movies at imdb.com (if you need it) :-)

kko_lit

Post by kko_lit » Dec 11th, '05, 01:25

he's also in the hollywood movie The Last Samurai :)

i'm also a fan. but i'm not up for trading. heehee... gomen.

kerumai

Post by kerumai » Dec 30th, '05, 10:33

:P I didn't realize it was him until I saw the credits. I only had konna koi no hanashi as a reference though. Totally different characters.

mikomi

Post by mikomi » Jan 7th, '06, 20:58

kerumai wrote::P I didn't realize it was him until I saw the credits. I only had konna koi no hanashi as a reference though. Totally different characters.
He was in Konna Koi no Hanashi?? Omg, I just didn't realize that until you pointed it out for me. I just watched the first two episodes of that drama, and was very much impressed by his acting and his charming look. He was very cool in that role, cold, smart yet lonely. I still need to get more episodes, but it seems like nobody is seeding it atm :(.

I just watched The Promise and he was pretty funny in there, though I'd rather seen him in some other movie than that horrible crap.

toyotaku

Post by toyotaku » Jan 7th, '06, 21:44

He's also in "Aegis" (Bôkoku no îgisu), which was released to DVD just last month. Excellent movie. A lot of our drama favorites are in the cast. :heart:

kinki

Post by kinki » Jan 7th, '06, 22:14

aizawa:: he's the cool, angry guy in the Lasy Samurai! also he's been in many good dramas such as umarried family, koukou kyoshi(93), konna koi no hanashi..etc

tinlunlau

Post by tinlunlau » Jan 12th, '06, 07:40

i'm surprised he managed to speak chinese in "The Promise" cuz that was really his voice in the movie..

noura

Post by noura » Apr 26th, '06, 23:03

I'm intrested in Sanada-sensei since I saw him in Last Samurai , Ringu and Rasen ( didn't show only in few sence.. his acting is superior :w00t: :wub:
I ordered Twilight samurai and it will arrive in the next coming week ...I can't wait to watch it ...
I also intend in d/l Koukou Kyoushi (1993) I want to watch his acting in drama .. ( I wonder how does he look like back there :scratch: )
I read in wiki that he's been famus as a "Playboy" :goggle:
Any other good movies that he's acting in??

toyotaku

Post by toyotaku » Apr 26th, '06, 23:06

Aegis (Bôkoku no îgisu) --- very powerful performance by Sanada. It was also fun watching him hassle Toyohara and Tanihara. :-)

Official site for Aegis

noura

Post by noura » Apr 27th, '06, 20:46

Thanks for the info.. that really does look like a great movie... I will look for it in yesasia with an english subs... and about Koukou Kyoushi 1993 ..the seeds are poor... would someone be kind and seed it ..or maybe try to volunteer as a seeder for the upcoming month...if you're willing ,as I'm not insisting..Thanks again. :wub:

surpur

Post by surpur » Aug 31st, '09, 03:39

Realy liked him in "Twighlight Samurai"

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Sep 13th, '09, 14:05

I'm a happy see this thread. I need to check out more dramas with Sanada Hiroyuki. I wish he did act in more dramas.
So far I've watched:
* Koukou Kyoushi 1993
* Last Samurai
* Ring and Ring 2 (don't remember much of those movies. It's a while since I've seen them)

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Nov 15th, '09, 20:52

Sanada will join the cast (as the character Dogen) of the ABC show LOST in 2010 during its sixth and final season.

Source: Wikipedia and J-Entertainment

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » May 14th, '10, 16:09

Took a look and Sanada Hirokyuki at IMDB and he is listed among the cast in a movie called Fallen Moon (2010)

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 14th, '10, 16:14

I don't trust anything that Heather Graham's in. Even with Cary Elwes in cast.
Keiko, you changed your avatar? This one is nice...

Issy

Post by Issy » May 14th, '10, 16:32

Keiko1981 wrote:Took a look and Sanada Hirokyuki at IMDB and he is listed among the cast in a movie called Fallen Moon (2010)
yes, he is rumoured to be in this one. no much news at the moment though
i have to say that Hiro-chan re-started my obsession about Japanese dramas/movies after some years of being away from them.
here is our forum
S H I N

ps. i loooove your new ava too 8)

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » May 14th, '10, 17:01

Ethlenn wrote:I don't trust anything that Heather Graham's in. Even with Cary Elwes in cast.
Keiko, you changed your avatar? This one is nice...
I don't know much of Heather Graham's or Cary Elwes so I can't say "Boo" or "Hooray".
Yes, I thought it was time to change it. It's from the rehearsal of the theatrical version of Nemuri Kyoshiro. :)
I've been visiting SHIN earlier. It's a good website.

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Mar 2nd, '11, 14:11

Sanada Hiroyuki, Shibasaki Kou, Asano Tadanobu, Kikuchi Rinko join Keanu Reeves in “47 Ronin”
Posted on March 1, 2011 by tokyograph

A press release from Universal Pictures has announced more details regarding director Carl Erik Rinsch’s “47 Ronin,” which begins filming on March 14. In addition to lead actor Keanu Reeves, the cast will include four Japanese stars: Sanada Hiroyuki, Shibasaki Kou, Asano Tadanobu, and Kikuchi Rinko.

According to the press release, Reeves plays Kai, an outcast who joins the 47 Ronin, led by a samurai named Oishi (Sanada). Shibasaki plays Mika, the daughter of the clan’s master and Kai’s romantic interest. Asano has a villain role as Lord Kira, while Kikuchi plays the mysterious woman Mizuki who carries out his orders.

“47 Ronin” will be Shibasaki’s first Hollywood movie. Practicing her English, she declared she was “so excited!” for the role.

The film is being shot in 3D for a November 11, 2012 release. Japanese news sources are reporting that the budget for the movie is $200 million.
=============
end of news post
=============

One person commented saying it was a waste of talent and money, also refering to the Last Samurai.
Another Hollywoodized movie?

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Mar 2nd, '11, 14:39

Keiko1981 wrote:One person commented saying it was a waste of talent and money, also refering to the Last Samurai.
I thought The Last Samurai was a noble effort and a decent movie.

I don't have the same feeling about this one, though. :sweat:

Instead of doling out the money for remakes to suit the American audience, they should import the films made in Japan and add subtitles... Oh, I forgot: most Americans are too lazy/illiterate to read subtitles.... :whistling:

toyotaku

Post by toyotaku » Mar 2nd, '11, 14:43

bmwracer wrote:Instead of doling out the money for remakes to suit the American audience, (snip)
I'm waiting for a Japanese movie about the American Revolution or Civil War. :P

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Mar 2nd, '11, 14:48

bmwracer wrote:
Keiko1981 wrote:One person commented saying it was a waste of talent and money, also refering to the Last Samurai.

Instead of doling out the money for remakes to suit the American audience, they should import the films made in Japan and add subtitles... Oh, I forgot: most Americans are too lazy/illiterate to read subtitles.... :whistling:
The Japanese TV stations (if it's them who decides it) should allow international TV channels to buy licenses (for example 2, then they can air it once, and then a re-run) on dramas.
This way have been used with American dramas in Sweden before. I don't know if it used nowdays though.
Good thing with having had 10 years of English lessons in school and TV series with text. Now you don't need to look at the subtitles. :)
English classes did begin in grade 3-6 (elementary school)
grade 7-9 (high school) and after that 3 more years in secondary high school.

Issy

Post by Issy » Mar 2nd, '11, 15:21

Yes. most of Hiroyuki Sanada's fan are very happy and excited for this upcoming movie. unfortunately SHIN is no longer available now. it has been hacked for so many times that site owner and my friend Jamie, has given up. his FB page is very lively at the moment though. 8)

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Mar 2nd, '11, 15:41

Issy wrote:Yes. most of Hiroyuki Sanada's fan are very happy and excited for this upcoming movie. unfortunately SHIN is no longer available now. it has been hacked for so many times that site owner and my friend Jamie, has given up. his FB page is very lively at the moment though. 8)
Are they available at Twitter?

Issy

Post by Issy » Mar 2nd, '11, 16:02

Keiko1981 wrote:
Issy wrote:Yes. most of Hiroyuki Sanada's fan are very happy and excited for this upcoming movie. unfortunately SHIN is no longer available now. it has been hacked for so many times that site owner and my friend Jamie, has given up. his FB page is very lively at the moment though. 8)
there is a talk on setting an account. will update as soon as it's done. 8)

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Mar 2nd, '11, 16:52

Issy wrote:
Keiko1981 wrote:
there is a talk on setting an account. will update as soon as it's done. 8)
Thank, I'll keep an eye open. :)

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Mar 2nd, '11, 18:40

toyotaku wrote:
bmwracer wrote:Instead of doling out the money for remakes to suit the American audience, (snip)
I'm waiting for a Japanese movie about the American Revolution or Civil War. :P
LOL. :lol

Edohiguma

Post by Edohiguma » Mar 2nd, '11, 23:59

bmwracer wrote:

Noble effort? Yeah, they tried. And messed it all up. As usual. When Watanabe's Katsumoto said "We're samurai, we don't use guns" I almost screamed. So many blatant errors, a classic Hollywood production with all the western stereotypes and barely anything right. Even the spoken Japanese was partly un-period and sometimes blatantly wrong. Basically it was a Shogun rip-off, almost 1:1, yet extremely badly done. It even featured a "ninja" attack, which was just as lousily done as the rest of the movie.

Though, "Memoirs of a geisha" was actually a lot worse. No surprise, the book is utter garbage, the movie couldn't be better.

As for this weird thing. Have you seen who the un-talent Reeves will play? A half-British, half-Japanese samurai, one of Asano's men, which is... such a load of crap. Such a character A) didn't exist, and B) couldn't exist. He'd have been born in the late 17th century. By then the British had no contact with Japan anymore. Only the Dutch and they were confined to Nagasaki. It's stupid. Typical Hollywood. And I can already see how it goes. His mother, some samurai daughter, fell in love with the British captain, who was made samurai for some utterly retarded reason (or maybe they'll try to rip off William Adams for it, which will leave open a few HUGE plot holes) and Kou's character will be all un-period and un-Japanese in love with Keanu's retarded character. That's a classic Hollywood plot. But I know, "it's not a documentary", which is usually the "argument" of those trying to defend typical Hollywood arrogance and stupidity.

It's a horrible waste of talent with a story that most people have never read in the original set-up anyway. What most people know about the 47 (46 respectively) comes from the changed versions of the Meiji, Taisho and early Showa years, where this story of anarchy and vengeance was turned into some fairy tale about samurai loyalty eventually turning into a basic line of "let's all die happily for the emperor". The reason why it was popular in the Edo period was not the samurai loyalty (people, who could get legally killed by samurai on a whim, would certainly not care about a tale of samurai loyalty), but rather the fact that they told the unpopular Tsunayoshi to suck it. That sold well. As for the loyalty, most people don't know that Asano had more than 300 such retainers and only those 47 made a move. He wasn't very popular even among his own men.

It's a horribly over-hyped and over-rated story, similar to anything Shinsengumi or Byakkotai related. I'd rather see a production about Miyagino and Shinobu, now that's a story of justice and revenge I'd pay to see at once. And it's a hundred times more epic than those 47 disgruntled ronin, who waited a year and then surrendered to the bakufu in hopes of mercy (why else would they have done that.)

As for the subtitles. You think the average European viewer isn't too lazy to read subtitles? Seriously, it's not an American-only phenomenon.