[poll] Most Popular JE actor.

Discuss about your favourite Japanese Actors and Actresses
deshou

Post by deshou » Feb 1st, '08, 02:17

sahansah wrote:He was quiet in Stand Up!! I thought he was pretty decent in it...lol if he plays the same type of characters over and over again of course his going to be convincing at it XD

:O That's exactly what I feel about Nino!
He probably still needs to prove more versatile as an (good) actor.

buzyb33

Post by buzyb33 » Feb 1st, '08, 02:26

I would say Kimura Takuya is THE most popular JE actor.

But for the more younger Johnnys, I would say MatsuJun. I think a lot of people got dragged into JE by watching Hana Yori Dango.

Some other possibilties are YamaP, and Nino. And Toma's popularity has gone way up ever since Hana Kimi.

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Feb 1st, '08, 02:34

deshou wrote: :O That's exactly what I feel about Nino!
He probably still needs to prove more versatile as an (good) actor.
I think the problem with that is that he's type-casted to take on roles as the "quiet unpopular high school boy" that he's usually seen as. So, when "Yamada Tarou" came out, it was a nice surprise to see such a drastic change from the norm.

I think for those who've already watched "YTM", they can acknowledged just how versatile his acting can be.

the thing with "Stand Up!!" while being a very funny drama filled with plentiful bishounens, is that it didn't give any of the actors a chance to develop their characters. From start to end, we just see them as how they were at the very first episode. If anything, the only person who really shone in "Stand Up" was probably Suzuki Anne.

I've watched the "Pika*nchi Life is Hard" movies (both of them) and found Nino's acting to be more than just capable.

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Feb 1st, '08, 02:36

lilswtangel wrote:Oh do give "Yamada Taro Monogatari" a try. His character isn't all that quiet, just lost in thought at times.........and if you've read the manga, you'll probably notice the likeness in his portrayal as Yamada Tarou.

and yep, "Letters From Iwo Jima" won 1 Academy Award and 1 Golden Globe Award but was nominated for much more:
Won

* 79th Academy Awards:
o Best Sound Editing (Alan Robert Murray and Bub Asman)
* Berlin Film Festival:
o Cinema for Peace Award
* 12th BFCA Critics' Choice Awards:
o Best Foreign Language Film
* 19th Chicago Film Critics Association Awards:
* 13th Dallas-Fort Worth Film Critics Association Awards:
* 64th Golden Globe Awards:
* 32nd Los Angeles Film Critics Association Awards:
o Best Picture
* 78th National Board of Review Awards:
o Best Picture
* 11th San Diego Film Critics Awards:
o Best Director (Clint Eastwood)
o Best Picture

Nominated

* 79th Academy Awards — Best Picture - Clint Eastwood, Steven Spielberg, & Robert Lorenz
* 79th Academy Awards — Best Director - Clint Eastwood
* 79th Academy Awards — Best Original Screenplay - Iris Yamashita
* 64th Golden Globe Awards — Best Director - Clint Eastwood
* 12th BFCA Critics' Choice Awards — Best Picture
* 12th BFCA Critics' Choice Awards — Best Director - Clint Eastwood
* 19th Chicago Film Critics Association Awards — Best Picture
* 19th Chicago Film Critics Association Awards — Best Director - Clint Eastwood
* 19th Chicago Film Critics Association Awards — Best Original Score
* 19th Chicago Film Critics Association Awards — Best Screenplay, Original - Iris Yamashita
* 2007 MPSE Golden Reel Awards — Best Sound Editing in a Feature Film: Dialogue and Automated Dialogue Replacement
* 2007 MPSE Golden Reel Awards — Best Sound Editing in Sound Effects and Foley for a Feature Film
--source: wikipedia~

Woah was not expecting that XD ~ Well wouldn't expect nothing less form a fansubber then thorough research :thumleft:

So then in terms of international recognition (by which I mean with the non-crazy JE fangirls who screm and screm and scream....the people oblivious to Japanese Entertainment...well prob the "Arty" type) would if vaguely have heard of the one named Nino

Well I'll give Taro a watch after I finish Utahime...Nino's different in it? huh :-)

deshou

Post by deshou » Feb 1st, '08, 03:32

lilswtangel wrote:I think the problem with that is that he's type-casted to take on roles as the "quiet unpopular high school boy" that he's usually seen as. So, when "Yamada Tarou" came out, it was a nice surprise to see such a drastic change from the norm.

I think for those who've already watched "YTM", they can acknowledged just how versatile his acting can be.

the thing with "Stand Up!!" while being a very funny drama filled with plentiful bishounens, is that it didn't give any of the actors a chance to develop their characters. From start to end, we just see them as how they were at the very first episode. If anything, the only person who really shone in "Stand Up" was probably Suzuki Anne.

I've watched the "Pika*nchi Life is Hard" movies (both of them) and found Nino's acting to be more than just capable.
Well, I've watched YTM and quite frankly I don't think his part is that different from all the others... Now is the "quiet popular high school boy", but it's not like he mingles with the other students. Tarou spends his days studying, rushing, working part-time jobs and worrying about his family and money...
Fits the "quiet with one thing he likes" profile. Even in Stand Up he could smile when thinking of the teacher...

Anyway, I'm not saying he isn't a good actor as I'm sure not any actor can pull the scenes he pulled in YTM and in other dramas.
But I've also watched him on ARASHI TV shows. He can do much more than he already does in terms of versatility, if you know what I mean.
Probably not his fault, but of the roles he's picked for, or that he picks himself.

untitledmelody

Post by untitledmelody » Feb 1st, '08, 15:14

O_O A lot of talk here on Nino. Sadly, I still haven't watched any dramas with him in it. I just finished downloading the 1st ep of Stand Up!! (good Samaritans are welcome to seed! we downloaders desperately need more) so I'll soon be able to get a taste of Nino. I do like his comical, small-boy face. xD

I think I've posted here before, but I totally have no recollection of it, so let me start from scratch again. Hmm.
I agree with people on the first page, it's a close tie between YamaPi and Kame.
I initially got introduced into the very much vibrant world of JE through Kame (in Gokusen 2)... After that I watched Nobuta wo Produce and I was really impressed by Kame's acting. I thought he had a lot of potential, especially since he pulled off the complex Shuuji character really well. However I thought that his growth in acting was stunted for a period of time, because I didn't really like Suppli, and Tatta Hitotsu no Koi was nice but didn't show off any special acting abilities. I thought it was just an older (poorer?) version of the Shuuji role. But 1 Pondo no Fukuin marked his comeback. I was gladly surprised by his role, he pulls off Kousaku really well! I don't think he has played this playful and animated type of role before. He's like the life of the dorama, and I'm following it closely because of Kame. He's a really hard worker at what he does, not just as an actor but also as a singer, TV presenter, etc.
On to YamaPi... The first time I watched his acting was in NwP but sadly I didn't take notice of him that time as I was too busy fangirling over Kame (I was only 17... -_-") 2 years later I got my hands on Kurosagi and my eyes opened up to Pi. He was really good in that drama and I realised that he has very versatile acting abilities. I rewatched NwP and was impressed. It takes a lot of talent to pull of the whimsical Akira character so naturally. Kurosaki's character was the opposite: dark, jaded, full of vengeance. The thing about Pi's character in Kurosagi was that it tested his abilities to act as various types of people as he is a role-playing swindler. He aced them! It was entertaining to watch him play each different person, without letting go of the original Kurosaki personality. I went on to watch Proposal Daisakusen, and Pi was also good in it as the cute, boy-next-door Ken~zou. :D Because of Pi, I was introduced to NEWS and am now a big fan of them (and Pi too!)
So yeah, IMO these two have a good acting future ahead. :cheers:

I also wanna comment a bit on other JE actors...
One major guy (whom JE hasn't allowed to debut yet, sadly) is Ikuta Toma. I also think he has a lot of potential. It was great watching him portray Nakatsu in Hanazakari no Kimitachi e. He's very good at animated, comedic roles. I'm also watching Hachimitsu to Clover now, and he's doing a pretty good job so far. He also starred in a stage musical, Cat in the Red Boots. I know it's not a dorama but he was amazing in it and man, can he sing! :D
Another one in Sakurai Sho. Actually I've never watched any of his doramas, I only watched him in the movie version of Hachimitsu to Clover. I thought he played Takemoto very well.

So, wow that's a lot I typed. :sweat:
To round it up, yeah I'm torn between Kamenashi Kazuya, Yamashita Tomohisa and Ikuta Toma. They're all great. :cheers:

EDIT:
I'm back because I think I totally missed the whole point of this thread. It's most POPULAR JE actor and not BEST JE actor huh??? *falls* Gosh I typed all the above on the latter.
Nonetheless... Since it's POPULAR... I'd have to go with....
Yamashita Tomohisa

He's hugely popular and he paved his way up in JE long before he debuted. :thumleft:

mrsmilevskyi2001

Post by mrsmilevskyi2001 » Feb 2nd, '08, 02:31

most popular JE's actor for this generation i think it's safe to say Yamapi but ultimately it's KimuTaku hands down. my personal favorite is Nagase and Matsujun though :D

mingming96

Post by mingming96 » Feb 2nd, '08, 02:40

i would say takuya kimura as well.for younger generation i would said matsujun is the most popular one.hana yori dango really makes him popular.why no one mention about takki?remember he has been main actor when he was very young.it went back to 1999.he's just 17 at that time.but i like toma more than takki.

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Feb 2nd, '08, 18:35

mingming96 wrote:why no one mention about takki?remember he has been main actor when he was very young.it went back to 1999.he's just 17 at that time.but i like toma more than takki.
LOL, I did.......but I think since my post was so long, no one bothered to read it. :sweat:

but yes, I think popularity is obtained through a timeframe. Takki was VERY popular in the late 90's.........

so it's like who's popular today might not be very popular tomorrow (more like in 5 years) when someone else steps into the spotlight with SMAP being the exception. God, they were the ones who built the foundation of what is JE today. :)

mingming96

Post by mingming96 » Feb 2nd, '08, 19:29

sorry,i didn't read at all actually.i just scan through this page. :P i agree with you.smap is like the exception.they'll still have drama many years later.but shonentai higashiyama noriyuki is pretty popular as well.he still have drama at his age.

so true about the timeframe. takki was very popular when he was still a teen.there's so many drama for him in 2001,2002 but now he seems to have less drama.but i'm glad this year he still has a drama.i want to watch yukinojo henge.it seems interesting.too bad no one even consider to sub it.

deshou

Post by deshou » Feb 2nd, '08, 19:55

I think Takki wasn't mentioned because he's already 25?

Still, true, he's probably not as popular now as he was before.

mingming96

Post by mingming96 » Feb 2nd, '08, 20:07

25's still very young.he still can act in a lot of role.maybe not student role but the's still a lot of role he can act.like lilswtangel said you might be popular today but not be very popular tomorrow.that's what happens to takki now.but anyway i don't watch a lot of drama so i don't really care about it weather takki'll be in drama or not.the most important is takki is still actively singing with tsubasa. :D

untitledmelody

Post by untitledmelody » Feb 2nd, '08, 20:31

Ah yes, Takki, forgot to mention him. I remember watching his doramas on TV when I was MUCH younger. Can't remember the name of the dorama already but I liked him. the 90's was his golden era.
lilswtangel wrote:so it's like who's popular today might not be very popular tomorrow (more like in 5 years) when someone else steps into the spotlight with SMAP being the exception. God, they were the ones who built the foundation of what is JE today.
I agree hands down. SMAP is like the reigning gods of Jdorama (or at least JE like you said). I don't really remember much about the other members of SMAP but KimuTaku is amazing. I watched that piano drama, is it Beautiful Life, and Hero... Being so small I was already plastered to the TV watching them. Until now he's still doing well. Side note: I think one of the guys in Kanjani 8 (he's in your sig's banner) looks a bit like him.

But anyways, the creator of this thread specified younger JE actors, so Takki and KimuTaku's out of the picture.

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Feb 2nd, '08, 21:14

untitledmelody wrote: But anyways, the creator of this thread specified younger JE actors, so Takki and KimuTaku's out of the picture.
Did they? I never saw that.... :glare: ....Talk about misleading...like a typical shop advertisement ploy never reveal the full facts until you've entered...they could have at least put that in the thread title :x

mingming96

Post by mingming96 » Feb 2nd, '08, 21:18

takki series i watch quite recently is majo no jouken and boku wo madonna but couldn't bring myself to watch it finish.both series seems a little bored to me.but i still like takki as an actor.he's good.just the story is plain boring.

i can't remember the first japanese actor name that i like anymore.but i remember i watch takashi sorimachi and takuya kimura series like beautiful life,beach boys,gto and still a couple rest of others
takki is not that old.it just he's not really active in drama nowadays.he's just 25.

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Feb 3rd, '08, 00:18

Takki? Takizawa Hideaki right? I've only seen him in Strawberry on the Shortcake and to be honest he never really did much in there to stand out. To be fair Strawberry on the Shortcake was not that entertaining and the only reason that I endured it was for the fact that Kubozuka Yosuke was in it and he really did light up the scenes he was in (O.K. and I thought Fukada Kyoko was uber kawaii as well ^^).

Like with Nino I didn't know Takki was kinda popular...Hmmm I don't know much about Johnnys but since I don't I always had the impression that Jun and Yamapi were the more popular ones (Guess with the popularity of Hana Yori Dango and Nobuta Wo Produce)

morai_naki

Post by morai_naki » Feb 3rd, '08, 05:37

hnnn.. i've been monitoring this thread for quite a while.. only 18-25, eh? (choices only limited to some arashi, and kanjani8 members, and all of NewS, and KAT-TUN.)
but i can't help put some other names, forgive me.

anyways, talent, looks, etc. out of the way.. in terms of popularity.. i think there's quite a difference in the int'l fandom, and in the local scene. i am not japanese, nor have i ever been to japan.. these are just my speculations.

yamaP (yamashita tomohisa), i think stands out both in Japan, and elsewhere.. try looking at most japanese related english forums (even non-english ones).. look at his thread. and you'll see what i mean.
he's also kinda considered as takki's (takizawa hideaki) predecessor, another Golden Boy of J&A.

matsujun, also had his prime, what with gokusen, and HYD.
i'm not sure how popular he still is in Nihon, tho. but he's still big.

hnnn.. as for Takki, (he's technically still counted when the thread started posted this.) i think he used to be uber popular. altho, don't ask me why T&T sales aren't doing so well, right now. it's prolly his perfect face that looks kakkoi in any angle.. and add his acting skills, singing talent, dancing prowess, and overall appeal.. that made him big.. really BIG.

my basis for their local popularity are the countdowns, before anything else. no one mentioned Koichi and Tsuyoshi of KinKi Kids.. (i know, they're over 25.. but i still see lots of Kimura Takuya answers.. and Koichi doesn't even look like he is 25.. so.. ) i think their int'l fandom is not as big as it is in japan, relative to other younger groups. take the recent countdown for example, there were tons of KinKi Kids' song covers.

well, i could as well be wrong.. but that's just the impression i get, from watching those shows..

i'm not even gonna start talking about Nagase, (bcoz i could go on forever, and bcoz he's biologically overaged.. unless you base age upon actions. LOL).. just a note, tho (can't help it).. during the time that Nagase was in his late teens and early 20s.. he is more popular, than even YamaP or Kame..

last last note.. hands down to SMAP.. individually and as a group. since 1993, up til now.. it doesn't matter waht age you really are. LOL

mrsmilevskyi2001

Post by mrsmilevskyi2001 » Feb 3rd, '08, 06:05

morai_naki wrote:hnnn.. i've been monitoring this thread for quite a while.. only 18-25, eh? (choices only limited to some arashi, and kanjani8 members, and all of NewS, and KAT-TUN.)

anyways, talent, looks, etc. out of the way.. in terms of popularity.. i think there's quite a difference in the int'l fandom, and in the local scene. i am not japanese, nor have i ever been to japan.. these are just my speculations.

yamaP (yamashita tomohisa), i think stands out both in Japan, and elsewhere.. try looking at most japanese related english forums (even non-english ones).. look at his thread. and you'll see what i mean.
he's also kinda considered as takki's (takizawa hideaki) predecessor, another Golden Boy of J&A.

hnnn.. as for Takki, (he's technically still counted when the thread started posted this.) i think he used to be uber popular. altho, don't ask me why T&T sales aren't doing so well, right now. it's prolly his perfect face that looks kakkoi in any angle.. and add his acting skills, singing talent, dancing prowess, and overall appeal.. that made him big.. really BIG.

my basis for their local popularity are the countdowns, before anything else. no one mentioned Koichi and Tsuyoshi of KinKi Kids.. (i know, they're over 25.. but i still see lots of Kimura Takuya answers.. and Koichi doesn't even look like he is 25.. so.. ) i think their int'l fandom is not as big as it is in japan, relative to other younger groups. take the recent countdown for example, there were tons of KinKi Kids' song covers.

well, i could as well be wrong.. but that's just the impression i get, from watching those shows..

i'm not even gonna start talking about Nagase, (bcoz i could go on forever, and bcoz he's biologically overaged.. unless you base age upon actions. LOL).. just a note, tho (can't help it).. during the time that Nagase was in his late teens and early 20s.. he is more popular, than even YamaP or Kame..

last last note.. hands down to SMAP.. individually and as a group. since 1993, up til now.. it doesn't matter waht age you really are. LOL
i laughed out loud at this, knowing nagase... :lol he still is uber hot though :wub: he's my ichiban :D

morai_naki

Post by morai_naki » Feb 3rd, '08, 10:52

mrsmilevskyi2001 wrote:
morai_naki wrote:hnnn.. i've been monitoring this thread for quite a while.. only 18-25, eh? (choices only limited to some arashi, and kanjani8 members, and all of NewS, and KAT-TUN.)

i laughed out loud at this, knowing nagase... :lol he still is uber hot though :wub: he's my ichiban :D
yes, he is. no one can contest that. LOL i was actually surprised, i initially thought that you laughed out loud at my whole entry.. i didn't see the boldfaced phrase. LOL
(and he is my ichiban, too.. i think he's 9 years old.)

on a side note, i think yamaP had the most mentions since page 1.

miznagase

Post by miznagase » Feb 5th, '08, 05:31

tomoya nagase!!!!
i know he's older than 25, but he's the best!!!!!!!
if you're talking about an actor younger than 25, i gotta go with tanaka koki.

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Feb 5th, '08, 11:06

miznagase wrote:if you're talking about an actor younger than 25, i gotta go with tanaka koki.
now that was an unexpected answer. :lol but I guess KAT-TUN's Joker isn't too bad of an actor. I really enjoyed his characters in "My Boss, My Hero", "Tatta Hitotsu no Koi" and "Byakkotai"~ but give him a leading role in "Tokkyu Tanaka 3 Go" and my first impressed impression of him disappears.

As far as popularity goes, I find that his fellow KT members, Jin and Kame have more of a fanbase......whether in acting or in Johnny's related activities :sweat:

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Feb 5th, '08, 11:33

lilswtangel wrote: but give him a leading role in "Tokkyu Tanaka 3 Go" and my first impressed impression of him disappears.
I was thinking of watching Tokkyu Tanaka 3 Go :unsure: was it not good? I know it got low ratings but I liked tanaka koki's acting in MBMH and there's Tsukamoto Takashi in it who is another really good actor I've only seen him in secondary roles but his good enough to lead

morai_naki

Post by morai_naki » Feb 5th, '08, 15:24

well, yeah.. perhaps in terms of acting talent, Koki has something to offer.. i think he did a pretty decent job in Tatta Hitotsu no Koi, and MBMH. i haven't seen him in his lead role dorama, yet, tho. but in popularity.. it's not question that AKame pwns the other 4 members.

off-topic: ehhh~ Takashi is in Tokkyu Tanaka 3 Go!? now i suddenly want to watch.. (and yeah, he's been good in the doramas i've seen him in. totally into character.)

but srsly, i think i'll give Koki's dorama a chance.. ever since Trick, and Utahime, i've learned not to trust ratings! LOL

hnnnn.. as far as per "generation" (technically, generation is about 40 yrs, but you'll get my meaning).. starting from Kimura Takuya.. the next one who really shone was Nagase Tomoya, (then Kimura Takuya), then Takizawa Hideaki, and Matsumoto Jun, (then Kimura Takuya), then, there's Yamashita Tomohisa, (then Kimura Takuya), and Akanishi Jin and (then Kimura Takuya), Kamenashi Kazuya..? well, that's just my opinion on who made it bigger than big among them. as for the young 'uns.. well, i dunno if it's bcoz i'm not giving them much attention.. but i don't think there's a "golden boy" among them as of now..

Ikuta Toma..? well, in non-Japanese fans, he seems to be a bigger hit, it seems.

hateytb

Post by hateytb » Feb 5th, '08, 23:30

mingming96 wrote:takki series i watch quite recently is majo no jouken and boku wo madonna but couldn't bring myself to watch it finish.both series seems a little bored to me.but i still like takki as an actor.he's good.just the story is plain boring.

i can't remember the first japanese actor name that i like anymore.but i remember i watch takashi sorimachi and takuya kimura series like beautiful life,beach boys,gto and still a couple rest of others
takki is not that old.it just he's not really active in drama nowadays.he's just 25.

we all know that tackey is not old!!

it just that the creator of this thread was only talking about JE's boys who is popular and under 25

pongalong

Post by pongalong » Feb 6th, '08, 00:14

kamenashi kazuya!!!

miznagase

Post by miznagase » Feb 8th, '08, 06:00

lol, i heard that koki's most recent drama, which is his first drama as the lead actor, was pretty disappointing.
but i don't really care. lol
i still think he's talented and SEXY!!!!!!
and uh, sahansah, i like your aishwarya rai avatar.
she's my favorite actress. gotta love bollywood!!!

morai_naki

Post by morai_naki » Feb 8th, '08, 10:12

[quote="miznagase"]lol, i heard that koki's most recent drama, which is his first drama as the lead actor, was pretty disappointing.
but i don't really care. lol
i still think he's talented and SEXY!!!!!!/quote]

so it seems, but we're still in the topic of the most popular JE actor. LOL

dreamer1023

Post by dreamer1023 » Mar 1st, '08, 16:30

hmmm i think its gonna be takuya kimura but then i think he's well known as his own than part of je...anyway, sticking with the age limit...i think its gonna be matsujun because of hana yori dango and as part of arashi...:)

Lotikuma

Post by Lotikuma » Mar 1st, '08, 19:16

Only 18-25?.. then.. YamaPi.
Nino is a good actor too.
Or.. Ryo-chan.

Too bad that it's only 18-25... Or i'd say that... Okada is there too. Great actor.

AngelicLayer

Post by AngelicLayer » Mar 4th, '08, 21:00

yamapi is seen as prof actor? hmm...

for me it s ando masanobu <3

Issy

Post by Issy » Mar 4th, '08, 21:30

TOMOYA NAGASE :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
JUST PERFECT IN EVERY WAY YOU LOOK AT. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
ok, i know is for ages between 18-25 but could not help not to mention his name. :P

sunshine990

Post by sunshine990 » Mar 5th, '08, 09:59

Issy dear!!!! you are absolutely right!!! Tomoya is always the best, even if his age is not suitable for the quest :D :D :D

Kallista

Post by Kallista » Mar 5th, '08, 14:34

AngelicLayer wrote:yamapi is seen as prof actor? hmm...
Yamapi has BAD acting skills, he should work more on his facial expressions! :crazy: (i usually call him a "dead-fish-face").

My favourite JE actors are ABOVE 25: Tomoya Nagase, Takuya Kimura and Junichi Okada!

I'm sorry, I don't have the prerequisites to take part in this topic. :|

LisZy

Post by LisZy » Mar 23rd, '08, 15:22

Yamapi has BAD acting skills, he should work more on his facial expressions! (i usually call him a "dead-fish-face").

My favourite JE actors are ABOVE 25: Tomoya Nagase, Takuya Kimura and Junichi Okada!

I'm sorry, I don't have the prerequisites to take part in this topic.

woww, i like yamap, as an idol..but not as an ACTOR, i have to admit it that his acting is is not improved since nobuta. His facial expression didn't show anything..all same.. So i couldn't feel his character (sorry yamap,maybe u need more challenge,but i still like you! :D )

For the best actor in JE, it's so difficult if you mentioned it should be under 25.. i'll go with matsujun and nino ..they could portrait many characthers

If ALL JE actor, than i could choose easily, same with Kallista,
Takuya Kimura, Tomoya Nagase and Junichi Okada

Reason?? i think i dont need to explain it ,they've been working with many famous director and their movie is the proof.. (plus awards) :thumright:

i forgot to mention matsujun and nino ,they also great as an actor !

KuroiUsagi

Post by KuroiUsagi » Mar 25th, '08, 03:43

Hmm.. since the thread starter asks for most popular, I'd probably have to go with Yamapi, Kame, or MatsuJun.

I haven't actually seen any of MatsuJun's dramas, so I don't know if his acting is significantly better than Yamapi or Kame's, but they all seem pretty popular from what I've seen.
My opinion might differ from older fans though, since I'm only 14 :sweat:

seulkionline

Post by seulkionline » Mar 25th, '08, 04:40

Hmm Most Popular, I'd have to say Yamapi, Kamenashi Kazuya, MatsuJun, and KimuTaku.

Most Talented, I'd have to say Nino, Kame, Nagase Tomoya, Kimura Takuya, and .. well there's more I have in mind, I just can't remember haha~

morai_naki

Post by morai_naki » Mar 25th, '08, 08:06

AngelicLayer wrote:for me it s ando masanobu <3
He's JE?
I don't think so.

I love it how Nagase's name keeps on popping up,
I knew it! His mentality is really not that of a 29 year old!
j/k

lailoken

Post by lailoken » Mar 26th, '08, 17:49

yamapi is a horrible actor lol..

I just cant stand his lips moving everytime they do a close up of him.

And Pi, Matsumoto Jun, Kame, Jin and all the other younger JE actors in this age group all walk like models when they do scenes of them walking alone... its disgusting lol...

I gotta say the only JE actor that I actually liked was Nagase XD

And at times Tackey but then he's horrible too lol...

Tors

Post by Tors » Mar 27th, '08, 05:55

It does seem like Yamapi is quite popular. But I think that might have something to do with the fact that he is really sexy; rather than him being a good actor.

I personally think that if we're talking about proper acting, by an under 25 year old JE boy, then the person that comes to mind first is Nino. He's a better actor than anyone else his age in JE. He's in a completely different league to people like Yamapi, Kame and even Matsujun.

This is just my opinion. I'm not trying to be horrible as I like a lot of the guys in JE. I just think that most of them rely on their looks when they star in dramas; rather than acting ability.

glem74

Post by glem74 » Mar 27th, '08, 06:46

Yeah... while Yamapi, Kame and Jun are popular. Nino is at a totally different level than them. Even compared with non-JE actors his age, I think Nino is really talented.

But since this thread is about popularity I think Jun could be most popular for his age. Yamapi and Kame are about there and not forgetting Toma who made Hana Kimi most enjoyable to watch last year.

KimuTaku, Tackey, Okada and Nagase are older but I think they are just as or more popular though.

jeanzaddict

Post by jeanzaddict » Mar 28th, '08, 14:44

i agree with what lailoken and kallista said. for me, most of JE's boys are not talented. they have no good quality at acting nor singing. they're popular bcuz ppl (usually girls) consider em as cute guys.

i think popular JE guys in terms of their fans n projects (18-25) are yamapi, kame, matsujun and maybe itoma. in my opinion, matsujun's and itoma's actings are better than yamapi's. i dont know bout kame, cuz i havent watched any drama he starred in.

and, yeah. i hate how JE's boys walk. they walk like girls. i laughed loudly when i watched ProDai, the scene where yamapi was walking alone, wearing white hoodie. also when i watched HYD2, when matsujun walked after he had a talk with his mom on rooftop.

and least, sorry for being rude about JE's guys ;)

miznagase

Post by miznagase » Mar 31st, '08, 19:15

tomoya nagase aka tomo-chan is THE best JE actor.
come on peoples.
who can compare to this sexy man's acting skills???
he was excellent in mukodono.
he's a natural to say the least.
yamapi, i think, is quite talented.
yes, he still needs to improve, but he's not horrible.
i haven't seen any of nino's dramas. i've only seen letters from iwo jima.
do you guys recommend any of nino's dramas?? i wanna see how good he is!

koyama22

Post by koyama22 » Mar 31st, '08, 19:55

Dramas...well, if you haven't watched Stand Up!!! then you should watch that. For a different kind of drama i'd watch Haikei, Chichiue-sama. Its a quiet drama with great camerawork and acting, although many consider it a bit boring. Also, his most recent drama, Yamada Taro Monogatari is a more mainstream comedy/family/school drama and shows a bit of a different side to Nino, although its hard to describe. He's just a great actor that emits that kind of...quiet calmness thats pretty comforting.

Mrs-Nishikado

Post by Mrs-Nishikado » Mar 31st, '08, 20:07

T_T you guys are wayy too mean to yamapi!!!
i think yamapi is a great actor especially in Kurosagi when he had to do diffrent acts and Matsujun is also really good as domyouji the baka in Hana Yori Dango..or the clever detective in Kindaichi cases!

But nino is one of ma faves!! recently i watched Yamada Taro and like what <b>koyama22</b> said he really did that role well!! I also liked sho sakurai in there too!!

miznagase

Post by miznagase » Mar 31st, '08, 20:12

yeah, i agree.
i thought yamapi did a great job in kurosagi.
he was dead sexy too!!!
i'll check out nino's yamada taro monogatari.
i'm a sho fan too so i'll probably like it!!!

michiko888

Post by michiko888 » Apr 21st, '08, 06:11

among all of these guys (regardless of age) im so happy to say that its Kimura! and its a fact! :D

but from the younger ones i guess its either jun or yamapi. you can see it just by looking at their threads... though i would like ikuta toma to be the most popular!

jeje_toma

Post by jeje_toma » Apr 21st, '08, 06:28

hmm .. Popular, ei .. I'd say it would be MatsuJun, Yamapi or Aka. But the one I like best is Nino-kun. I've watched some of his dramas and I thinkhe did a great job on those!

seeshu

Post by seeshu » Apr 21st, '08, 06:40

I would say that the most popular JE guy is Kimura Takuya. :wub:

He's what, past 35 now, and he's still so handsome. Plus, his dramas generally score incredible ratings. And, he's definitely a good actor. I can't wait for his new drama coming out in a few weeks!

Hmm but if you're talking about younger JE people, I have no idea. Matsujun?

shi_rabu

Post by shi_rabu » May 8th, '08, 09:04

kimu taku definitely!! ang for the younger ones, matsujun is the one bec. he could really act.

padme

Post by padme » May 10th, '08, 02:14

i think is Jun matsumoto *-* (love him :wub: ) but love more his acting n__n this boy really can act and I'm so proud that he grow up in acting skills ^-^like in his new movie The Last princess and I sure in HYDF too n__n and hope the rumoras about two new dramas came true n__n

and Ninomiya kazu *o* (love him too :wub: ) he grow up too with acting skills I think he and Jun are the best JE young actors n_n and think all people is notice them but not just because are menbers of Arashi group , besides people are wacthing them but like a actors too *---* and not just in Japan they are watch for foreign people like americans with they movies (Nino with letters from iwo jima *great movie* and now Jun with The Last Princess *when he go recently to LA for premiere of his movie n_n)

and my second choice would be Ohno Satoshi (but then I got it he have 27 hehe xD ) so gomen u_u (waiting for his new role with Toma) *o*

so this is just what I think n__n

Nyan~

Post by Nyan~ » May 25th, '08, 17:41

Umm, I would say MatsuJun or Yamapi. :wub:
And Nino because of Letters from Iwo Jima.
MatsuJun haven't been in as many dramas as Yamapi, but he has a bit more popular ones, like Hana Yori Dango or Gokusen.
Kame's pretty popular also.

kathia_sophia

Post by kathia_sophia » May 26th, '08, 18:32

for those who doesnt know, i shearched and one of my friends who are living on Japan, told me these:

The MOST popular JE menbers are Kimura Takuya and Takky
But on this thread its only for the youngers (based on Polls, Magazines, Drama Ratings, Personal Questions, Interviews and the most trageted by media) so they are:

- MatsuJun
- Yamapi
- Kame
[not in order]

^this is what i think, cause its based on true information...

PS: Jin and ikuta toma are good too, but they are so far away from being the MOST popular :cry:

dramathon

Post by dramathon » Jun 17th, '08, 03:20

i forgot where i read tho...i'm sure it says Takizawa Hideaki is gonna surpass Takuya in no time.....or already has :P

GO TAKKI, i'd say TAKKI is da best :D

rw11

Post by rw11 » Jun 22nd, '08, 19:56

To the above, I very much doubt that KimuTaku can ever be surpassed by any one ,not by Takki in any case. To give Takki his due, I think he is a good actor in his own right but KimuTaku is in a totally different league of his own. Any way, Takki won't be able to do any surpassing unless he acts in more dramas. It is a shame that he is not getting more roles, because in my opinion, he has definitely improved from his majo no jouken days.I guess his popularity has waned over the years which is to be expected in this fickle entertainment industry. You may be famous now but there is no guarantee that you would be famous in a couple of years of time. But I digress; I have to agree with what most of you have said , the flavour of the season seems to be yamapi,kame and matsujun.

ainhoa

Post by ainhoa » Jun 24th, '08, 17:50

most popular, probably yamapi.

best and most underrated, shiiiige!

windamas

Post by windamas » Jul 22nd, '08, 01:50

I've been lurking here for over a year so I guess I start my non-lurkership with this post in this thread....

The simple answer for the most popular JE actor would likely be Kimutaku, Matsujun and Yamapi. But I don't want simple. So, here's my long (and categorical) answer (let me just shift the question to The best JE actor)

A. Excellent actors:
1 and 2) Nino, Kimutaku - The reasons have already been pointed out in several posts, so I wont repeat them anymore. Clearly, both exceptionally good, they were able to portray a wide range of roles while giving something unique and memorable to each role
3) Katori Shingo - I'm surprised no one's mentioned him. After all, he's still SMAP. Anyways, I've seen only seen Bara no nai Hanaya and Galileo ep 4 and I'm convinced. He was appropriately sinister in Galileo that when I saw Bara, I was pleasantly suprised that he was able to pull off such a gentle character.
4) Takki - now, I've seen Majo no jouken and Yoshitsune. I think he did ok in both. But what really impressed me was in Yukinojo Henge ( http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Yukinojo_Henge ) where he played dual roles: an onnagata and a bandit. Let me add, he was very pretty as an Onnagata :) A pity it isnt subbed.

B. JE who can actually act
1. Tomoya Nagase - now I would have put him in the category above but I've only seen My Boss, My Hero and Mukodono. I don't think those dramas are sufficient to guage his acting prowess, aside from getting people to laugh. But from the little serious scenes I caught while watching, I think he'd be good in serious roles too. Maybe I'll watch Utahime next... but as of now, I'm not in the mood for it...
2. Matsujun - Like Nagase, I would have also put him in the category above. Only, he's rather inconsistent. When he's good, he's really good (say, the last scene in Bokuimo for example) but occassionally, his acting is a little off, which is also noticeable. Now in HYD, some would argue that he over acted it, but I personally think that the role of Doumyoji called for a larger-than-life-manga character, hence the overly animated acting and one must admit he had some really good scenes there too. In any case, I think he was at his best in Kimi wa Petto, absolutely adorable!
3. Ikuta Toma - I've seen him in HanaKimi, honey and clover and now maou. I think he has great potential. Now in Maou, he seems a bit too much but I think that's the direction that the makers wanted his role to be. What stands out in Maou are the scenes when he's not running around and screaming but the scenes where he actually has to show inner struggle and guilt. I do love the smouldering looks he gives Ohno.
4. Ohno - Ridaa! Since it's Ridaa's first serial drama I want to see a few more diverse roles from him. So far so good.
5. Kame - he can act. I do want to see him in more unusual roles just to see his range.

C. JE who cannot act
1. Nishikido Ryo - He did a passable job as Ryosuke in Last Friends. But somehow, he did it a little flat. Where is the passion? He's supposed totally obsessed with Michiru but all I get is cold heartedness. Maybe he should borrow some of the passion from Serizawa (Toma) in Maou :P Well, maybe Ill change my mind when I watch 1 liter of tears.
2. Yamapi - Unlike others I've mentioned that I cannot guage their acting prowess because of the limited dramas I've seen them in, I've actually seen a handful of Yamapi's works (Stand Up, Lunch Queen, ProDai, Nobuta, Kurosagi and now Code Blue). He acts the same in every role. I mean, Ridaa has shown more facial expressions in 3 episodes Iin Maou than Pi in all of his dramas I've seen combined.Sure, he's not the worst, by all means....

My 2 cents. sorry for the long post.

kandysakura

Post by kandysakura » Jul 23rd, '08, 00:52

lol, i think it really depends on factors like the age group you're asking, and what JE groups they are fans of.
i dont really think theres ever a thing as the most popular JE actor,
but i personally like kimura's dramas, and yamap's dramas.
tho, i really only started to like dramas because i loved Tsuyoshi's role in Kindaichi Shonen no Jikenbo!

ladymashiro

Post by ladymashiro » Jul 23rd, '08, 12:33

it's YAMAPI!

meelah

Post by meelah » Aug 7th, '08, 03:26

windamas wrote:I've been lurking here for over a year so I guess I start my non-lurkership with this post in this thread....

The simple answer for the most popular JE actor would likely be Kimutaku, Matsujun and Yamapi. But I don't want simple. So, here's my long (and categorical) answer (let me just shift the question to The best JE actor)

A. Excellent actors:
1 and 2) Nino, Kimutaku - The reasons have already been pointed out in several posts, so I wont repeat them anymore. Clearly, both exceptionally good, they were able to portray a wide range of roles while giving something unique and memorable to each role
3) Katori Shingo - I'm surprised no one's mentioned him. After all, he's still SMAP. Anyways, I've seen only seen Bara no nai Hanaya and Galileo ep 4 and I'm convinced. He was appropriately sinister in Galileo that when I saw Bara, I was pleasantly suprised that he was able to pull off such a gentle character.
4) Takki - now, I've seen Majo no jouken and Yoshitsune. I think he did ok in both. But what really impressed me was in Yukinojo Henge ( http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Yukinojo_Henge ) where he played dual roles: an onnagata and a bandit. Let me add, he was very pretty as an Onnagata :) A pity it isnt subbed.

1. Tomoya Nagase - now I would have put him in the category above but I've only seen My Boss, My Hero and Mukodono. I don't think those dramas are sufficient to guage his acting prowess, aside from getting people to laugh. But from the little serious scenes I caught while watching, I think he'd be good in serious roles too. Maybe I'll watch Utahime next... but as of now, I'm not in the mood for it...
2. Matsujun - Like Nagase, I would have also put him in the category above. Only, he's rather inconsistent. When he's good, he's really good (say, the last scene in Bokuimo for example) but occassionally, his acting is a little off, which is also noticeable. Now in HYD, some would argue that he over acted it, but I personally think that the role of Doumyoji called for a larger-than-life-manga character, hence the overly animated acting and one must admit he had some really good scenes there too. In any case, I think he was at his best in Kimi wa Petto, absolutely adorable!
3. Ikuta Toma - I've seen him in HanaKimi, honey and clover and now maou. I think he has great potential. Now in Maou, he seems a bit too much but I think that's the direction that the makers wanted his role to be. What stands out in Maou are the scenes when he's not running around and screaming but the scenes where he actually has to show inner struggle and guilt. I do love the smouldering looks he gives Ohno.
4. Ohno - Ridaa! Since it's Ridaa's first serial drama I want to see a few more diverse roles from him. So far so good.
5. Kame - he can act. I do want to see him in more unusual roles just to see his range.

C. JE who cannot act
1. Nishikido Ryo - He did a passable job as Ryosuke in Last Friends. But somehow, he did it a little flat. Where is the passion? He's supposed totally obsessed with Michiru but all I get is cold heartedness. Maybe he should borrow some of the passion from Serizawa (Toma) in Maou :P Well, maybe Ill change my mind when I watch 1 liter of tears.
2. Yamapi - Unlike others I've mentioned that I cannot guage their acting prowess because of the limited dramas I've seen them in, I've actually seen a handful of Yamapi's works (Stand Up, Lunch Queen, ProDai, Nobuta, Kurosagi and now Code Blue). He acts the same in every role. I mean, Ridaa has shown more facial expressions in 3 episodes Iin Maou than Pi in all of his dramas I've seen combined.Sure, he's not the worst, by all means....

My 2 cents. sorry for the long post.
Aaaah!!! I sooo love your view!!! :lol

I think Riida have been under the radar for sooo long that it is time he is in the spot light!

And Yamapi!? being popular does not mean he's a great actor ne...Maybe as he matures and get more diverse roles he will improve?

I would have put Jun in the excellent actor category though..

untitledmelody

Post by untitledmelody » Aug 7th, '08, 03:54

It's been some time since I last visited this thread (I can't even remember if I've posted here, gotta do some searching after this) but I like some stuff I read on this page, so I'm gonna talk about them. xD
windamas wrote:C. JE who cannot act
As much as I like YamaPi to bits (note my signature below), I've to agree to some point with you. I tend to watch him in a biased way because I fangirl him, but when judging as a whole... I've yet to watch him carry a role that allows diverse acting skills to shine through. And yes, I've also realised that he tends to 'recycle' his facial expressions, and a few verbal intonations too. (Other Pi fans don't brick me :/) He gave a lot of effort for his Akira role in NwP and I was pretty impressed, yet there's still something missing from him. Still I'll continue to follow his career as an actor as I think he's bound to show a breakthrough soon enough as he's always giving his best. (:
michiko888 wrote:though i would like ikuta toma to be the most popular!
windamas wrote:3. Ikuta Toma - I've seen him in HanaKimi, honey and clover and now maou. I think he has great potential. Now in Maou, he seems a bit too much but I think that's the direction that the makers wanted his role to be. What stands out in Maou are the scenes when he's not running around and screaming but the scenes where he actually has to show inner struggle and guilt. I do love the smouldering looks he gives Ohno.
:cheers: YES Ikuta Toma deserves more credit than he's given now, he does show a lot of diverse acting potential. He was amazing in Hanazakari no Kimitachi e, that was when I first noticed him. Then I watched him in Hachimitsu to Clover and now Maou as well. Somehow he manages to carry his roles naturally that it gives me the vibe that it's almost effortless on his part. Though of course he works hard, as I can tell from his interviews and specials, etc. I've also watched a fair bit of his earlier drama, Akihabara@DEEP and though he had limited space to show his acting potential as Box-kun I could tell he had something good. (: He also did this stage musical called "Cat in Red Boots" where he sang so well. xD

Nobody mentioned Kamenashi Kazuya in quite a number of posts now... I never thought he shone much in the acting scene, until I watched 1 Pondo no Fukuin. I think he did an awesome job as Kousaku! I've never watched him play such a reckless, comical character and I was fairly surprised he could pull it off pretty well. Maybe it was because I started watching the drama without much expectations, then again I think he deserves some credit for his performance. (:

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » Aug 7th, '08, 04:00

Kimura Takuya.
Jun
Yamapi

Jin's very popular right now, but I don't think his skills reflect his popularity o_o

gokidora

Post by gokidora » Aug 7th, '08, 04:05

seeshu wrote:He's what, past 35 now, and he's still so handsome.
What happens to a Johnny when he gets too old? Is there a Johnny's Seniors? Do they feed him to the Juniors to pass along his strength and accumulated dance moves? Or is he allowed to retire after a simple ceremony where he has his head shaved by Kitagawa and he distributes to fans his remaining stock of Gatsby Moving Rubber?

ainhoa

Post by ainhoa » Aug 8th, '08, 01:25

lol, Johnny's seniors. I'm just picturing a retirement home with a whole bunch of Johnnys Srs. causing all sorts of drama and complaining that their milk isn't warm enough and their ginger snaps havent been thoroughly chewed.

Issy

Post by Issy » Aug 9th, '08, 12:40

Windamas wrote

I am sure if you watch some more of his "serious" dramas (like Tiger & Dragon, IWGP,Utahime, Handoku, Big Money and Hakusen Nagashi, sorry i know it is not most fav jdrama thread)you will put him in Excellent actors who really can act and also look HOT and irresistable catogory.

tsumabukis

Post by tsumabukis » Aug 9th, '08, 13:04

This question totally depends on who, when and where you're asking. :P

If you're thinking about Japan, current polls are as follows:
TV Life:
1) Doumoto Tsuyoshi
2) Ohno Satoshi
3) Ikuta Toma
4) Yamapi

(but this is in a vote for their current drama characters)

And on the official "2008 Johnny's Ranking" votes for August:
1) Kamenashi
2) Akanishi
3) Yamapi
4) Doumoto Koichi
5) Ikuta Toma

(Akanishi won last month. Then Yamapi every month for 5 months before that. Then Akanishi again every month for about a year before that. :P)

LeviaYuko

Post by LeviaYuko » Oct 16th, '09, 10:13

Lol. I'd totally watch a Johnny's Sr show.
It'd be called Ojiisan Club as opposed to Shounen Club. They'd all sit around and complain about the young ones; sadly, there would be no dancing and shedding of clothing will be kept to its barest minimum.
What happens to a Johnny when he gets too old? Is there a Johnny's Seniors? Do they feed him to the Juniors to pass along his strength and accumulated dance moves? Or is he allowed to retire after a simple ceremony where he has his head shaved by Kitagawa and he distributes to fans his remaining stock of Gatsby Moving Rubber?
I think all that rubber gel goes to the Chosen One, currently Kamenashi Kazuya. And..recently, he's used it all up.

Well, to answer the question correctly, I think said old man either fades into obscurity by getting a real job or he branches out on his own and stops being a Johnny's entirely. But since JE was only founded in the 80's, there aren't many examples of Ojiisan Club members as they're all still pretending to be under 35.

zizzle_stick

Post by zizzle_stick » Oct 16th, '09, 10:45

i'd have to agree with what most people are saying...

if it's about popularity, i'd say it's yamapi.

but, yeah, if we're talking about talent... then it's really nino. (in the age group) and toma. hands down.

you'd have to admit, popularity is not equal to talent. hehe but i'm not against yamapi or anything. it's just that when you compare him to nino or toma, you'd see what i'm saying. he relies more on his "dead stare" to convey his feelings, while nino and toma have all these facial expressions that are really.... good. hehe.

nnnc

Post by nnnc » Oct 16th, '09, 10:47

LeviaYuko wrote: But since JE was only founded in the 80's, there aren't many examples of Ojiisan Club members as they're all still pretending to be under 35.
Johnny & Associates was founded in 1962. Some of their older members are still active in singing and acting -- Matchy, Hiromi Go, and Higashiyama, who are already around 45-55. SMAP members are also around 32-37 years old and they're still at the very top of the entertainment world in Japan. For the extreme famous and popular Johnnys like these guys, they can continue to work and do not fade into obscurity. But for many younger JEs, I doubt that they can maintain their popularity like those seniors once they start losing their cute looks and have to depend on their talents.

LeviaYuko

Post by LeviaYuko » Oct 16th, '09, 12:02

Huh, you learn something new every day.
I was thinking of SMAP members when I made the statement. Matchy may work with JE once in a while, but I believe he did branch out on his own and got a real job. What I mean is that they find something they like better than the old song and dance and use that as their primary income.
I mean, isn't the man a racer now?

But you're right. The younger prettier ones are in danger of future obscurity.

Ender's Girl

Post by Ender's Girl » Oct 19th, '09, 15:21

gokidora wrote:What happens to a Johnny when he gets too old? Is there a Johnny's Seniors? Do they feed him to the Juniors to pass along his strength and accumulated dance moves? Or is he allowed to retire after a simple ceremony where he has his head shaved by Kitagawa and he distributes to fans his remaining stock of Gatsby Moving Rubber?
ainhoa wrote:lol, Johnny's seniors. I'm just picturing a retirement home with a whole bunch of Johnnys Srs. causing all sorts of drama and complaining that their milk isn't warm enough and their ginger snaps havent been thoroughly chewed.
LeviaYuko wrote:Lol. I'd totally watch a Johnny's Sr show.
It'd be called Ojiisan Club as opposed to Shounen Club. They'd all sit around and complain about the young ones; sadly, there would be no dancing and shedding of clothing will be kept to its barest minimum.
LMAO!!!! Too funny!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Well, kudos to SMAP for their staying power. :salut: Idols these days are a dime a dozen, and if anyone from the current crop of Johnnies means to stay in the business, it's going to take a heck of a lot more than so-so singing/acting/dancing skills. They'll need to stand out, or carve their own niche, a specialization, their own place in the sun, lol. And pick up a few non-J-Ent-related life skills along the way... And finish high school or something... :whistling: (I mean, I'm fond of Kame and I think him a promising young actor, but has he even finished basic education? sheesh.) And even if most of these Johnnies' careers eventually fizzle out (after the baby-cute looks have disappeared and the hairlines have receded), what of it? So long as they can manage to hold regular, respectable (albeit less glamorous) jobs and don't end up on the street, that ain't a bad way to live. I mean, that's how the rest of us chumps get by. :lol
Last edited by Ender's Girl on Oct 20th, '09, 02:57, edited 2 times in total.

nnnc

Post by nnnc » Oct 19th, '09, 16:25

LeviaYuko wrote:Huh, you learn something new every day.
IMatchy may work with JE once in a while, but I believe he did branch out on his own and got a real job. What I mean is that they find something they like better than the old song and dance and use that as their primary income.
I mean, isn't the man a racer now?

But you're right. The younger prettier ones are in danger of future obscurity.
I read somewhere that Match and Higashiyama are still very much involved with J&A, in a form of administrative duty. Higashiyama is more involved though, I think, since he doesn't have his own racing team to take care of. Tackey also holds some kind of position in J&A too. I guess this can be another thing that current Johnny idols can do in a future, work in the office to support their juniors.

VioletSakura

Post by VioletSakura » May 18th, '10, 14:23

Before saying my opinion, I'll say this: "Theis is all about individual's personal preference and taste" So I'm going to talk about my taste.
In previous posts I read, that several people said, that YamaPi can't act and he doesn't have facial expressions...What's that? I'll advice those people to rewatch his films and maybe take a look at his face sometimes. I don't think an actor without facial expression could drag the part of Akira in Nobuta wo Produce (his BEST part). Isn't the main aim of the movie to make the audience believe, that the actor IS the character, so while watching you won't think "aaahhh, YamaPi is so cute" you'll think "aaahhh, this Kurosagi guy is killing me, so cold and hot :D"
And while watching YamaPi act, I always see his character. Maybe you'll call me a fangirl. But I know that while making a movie, it is almost impossible to see him without his script and not practicing.
And by the way YamaPi playes really different roles, I mean can you compare Kurosagi and Akira? Ken (ProDai) and Kosaku (CodeBlue)? Well I'm not going to post only about YamaPi :D
My favourite actor is Jun Matsumoto, actually :)
When I see him act, it is as if I can read what's the character thinking, I can almost see that through his eyes. As if he IS the character and nobody else at that moment. I think he is the perfect Domyouji. Can't imagin anyone else playing that character better. Also his last work Smile. It was AWSOME!!! When he was crying, I couldn't stop crying.
Next is Kame-kun. An awsome actor and singer. Love his characters in Nobuta, Tatta Hitotsu no Koi, and I just finished Kami no Shizuku...Awsome.
About Ryo: watch 1 Litre of Tears and Ryusey no Kizuna, then you'll see, that he REALLY can act!!!
I have other favourites, but if I write about everybody from JE...it will take lonng

So I'l vote like this:
1. Jun Matsumoto
2. Kamenashi Kazuya
3. Yamashita Tomohisa
4. Ryo Nishikido
5. Toma Ikuta

I've just come to know Hideaki Takizawa (sumimasen deshita :P) just finisher Orthros no Inu and Boku Dake no Madonna and I'm downloading Yukinojo Henge, but I think he's amazing too.

totemokakkoii

Post by totemokakkoii » May 18th, '10, 16:54

"JE" and "Actor" kind of don't really link.

Anyway if i have to choose, i'd think the one that really puts in the most effort is Ikuta Toma.

hhnd

Post by hhnd » May 20th, '10, 07:34

Depends on what you call "popularity". Is it winning Nikkan Sports Drama Grand Prix? Is it getting high TV rating? Depending on your definition of "popularity", the answer will change. For me, TV rating is reliable, more so than online polls and Nikkan Sports, where you can get many fangirls to vote for you multiple times. That's not necessarily true popularity.
So, going with my definition of popularity, it is Kimura Takuya. None of his kouhai can manage to match him in popularity. Even if his dorama plot line is not good, like MR. BRAIN, he still manages to get high rating.

*Edit*: If it's just young JE actors (which I generally don't like :roll, just because it takes men time to mature), then probably YamaPi. Regardless of whether you think he can act or not, he still has a large, consistent fanbase, and his projects are generally decent. Interestingly enough. Nobuta wo Produce is one of my all-time favorites, and Proposal Daisakusen was a good drama, with certain flaws (the acting being one of them).

As for the acting, everyone's opinion is different; so here's my 2 cent.

Can act: most of SMAP (except Inagaki Goro. I cannot, cannot stand his acting). I particularly like Nakai and Kusanagi. Going down the age group: Nagase Tomoya (though I think he overacts sometimes), Ninomiya Kazunari. These two are the most consistent.

The ones with potential but inconsistent: Matsumoto Jun (I think his role in HYD requires him to overact), Sakurai Sho (I find him cute in the cutesy roles, and he doesn't seem to try too hard), Kamenashi Kazuya (I love Shuuji, it seems like that role was made for him, but his other roles range from bland to nothing special to overacting. Plus I think with his recent drama, he's heading in the wrong direction). I kind of like Ikuta Toma in Hana Kimi, but his other roles also gave me doubts. Nishikido Ryo is OK, but his roles seem so similar - the emo, quiet, moody character.

The ones who don't impress: YamaPi (I like Akira in Nobuta wo Produce though, I have to say) - but he seems like a nice person - side note, also Takizawa Hideaki, and others.

But my favorite pick of the bunch is Okada Junichi.

His dramas (to be precise, his most important ones are probably Kisarazu Cat's Eyes, Tiger & Dragon, and SP) are not the most popular, especially among non-Japanese viewers - they don't target an audience of teenage girls. Also, V6 is not the most popular JE group (or anywhere near the top popular), and he has shifted his focus to films rather than TV series, etc. Those are a few reasons why he might not be widely known despite his fine acting.

What impresses me the most is that though he has very few dorama projects, all of them have been decent, and he never repeats himself or acts the same way in more than one role. But then, I really do think though he's good in his dorama, he truly shines in his movies - Tokyo Tower, Hana yori mo naho, Kage hinata ni saku, and the latest Oto-na-ri. Doesn't overact, has expressive eye contact, and very versatile.

One final note: actors who can't act are very abundant. They're everywhere, not just JE. The only difference is that JE has a lot of power, so their so-called actors flood the screen every season. As much as I hate the influence JE has, and only care about 1 person in the entire JE clan (kind of obvious from my post who it is haha), I find it funny that a lot of people judge that someone can't act just because he is a JE boy. Personally, even with people I dislike, I try to give them a chance if their drama/movie sounds promising enough. Even if they can't act, there might just be a role that's right for them (Akira in Nobuta wo Produce for example). So, watch before you judge.
Last edited by hhnd on May 20th, '10, 20:40, edited 5 times in total.

totemokakkoii

Post by totemokakkoii » May 20th, '10, 17:09

hhnd wrote:
But my favorite pick of the bunch is Okada Junichi.

His dramas (to be precise, his most important ones are probably Kisarazu Cat's Eyes, Tiger & Dragon, and SP) are not the most popular, especially among non-Japanese viewers - they don't target an audience of teenage girls. Also, V6 is not the most popular JE group (or anywhere near the top popular), and he has shifted his focus to films rather than TV series, etc. Those are a few reasons why he might not be widely known despite his fine acting.

What impresses me the most is that though he has very few dorama projects, all of them have been decent, and he never repeats himself or acts the same way in more than one role. But then, I really do think though he's good in his dorama, he truly shines in his movies - Tokyo Tower, Hana yori mo naho, Kage hinata ni saku, and the latest Oto-na-ri. Doesn't overact, has expressive eye contact, and very versatile.

Hey "hhnd", i really find your entire analysis very true and precise, and pin-point the facts and yet being very rational at the same time... no bias-ness... totally agreed to what you said. :thumright:

and..oh i really almost forgot Okada... thanks for mentioning.. though i only saw him in Renai Hensachi, SP and one of his recent movie Otonari.. and I really thought he is a fine actor (that's why i forgot about him, cos' i hardly link JE and actor together in the same train of thoughts).... very natural and no overacting. and totally agree has very expressive eyes..