Tsuyoshi Kusanagi

Discuss about your favourite Japanese Actors and Actresses
Orbity

Tsuyoshi Kusanagi

Post by Orbity » Apr 23rd, '09, 14:14

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsuyoshi_Kusanagi
Tsuyoshi Kusanagi, born July 9, 1974 in Seiyo, Ehime, Japan) is an actor and a member of the popular Japanese idol group SMAP. He grew up in Kasukabe, Saitama, Japan.

English:
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/st ... 88,00.html
http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyl ... estyleMolt
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... BGDgcWAgi0
http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/news/200 ... 7000c.html
Japanese:
http://mainichi.jp/select/jiken/news/20 ... 5000c.html

Found drunk, naked and screaming in a park. OMG :O

I wonder how Johnny's will wiggle their SMAP man out of this.
Last edited by Orbity on Apr 23rd, '09, 14:36, edited 2 times in total.

Orbity

Post by Orbity » Apr 23rd, '09, 14:31

tkah

Post by tkah » Apr 23rd, '09, 15:02

I am curious to see what happens. It could affect SMAP altogether.

hey9

Post by hey9 » Apr 23rd, '09, 16:00

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

kevkaho

Post by kevkaho » Apr 23rd, '09, 16:09

it says tat all activities connected to him may or may not be suspended... i believe there is something or some incident tat surely had to affect him in such a way tat he could get himself drunk like this in a public place... i do knoe tat public image for Japanese artistes are very impt as they are being scrutinised for every little thing tat they do... din hear anything bad abt him in the past though... this is the first time so i think everyone hopes he can come out and say a few words and give a proper explanation to everyone who supports him and SMAP...

No one's perfect... let's just hear wat he has to say and move on from there....

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 23rd, '09, 16:28

Losing so many times on the Dotch Cooking Show finally took their toll on SMAP guy. :lol

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Apr 24th, '09, 10:46

Karate-ka

Post by Karate-ka » Apr 24th, '09, 11:38

People already make fun of this, there is this t-shirt on sale saying"whats wrong with me being naked" thats what kusanagi said to the police...

Issy

Post by Issy » Apr 24th, '09, 12:10

Karate-ka wrote:People already make fun of this, there is this t-shirt on sale saying"whats wrong with me being naked" thats what kusanagi said to the police...
I just don't understand what is the facination with getting naked for any stupid reason within J-celebrities (more with johnny's :whistling: )
i mean, i know he was drunk enough not to understand what he is doing, we get people in that stage here at night too. but we don't see them taking off their clothes.

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Apr 24th, '09, 15:11

His management team work pretty quickly. They already had him do a press conference after he was release from jail. Think they could put out the fire or add fuel to this media firestorm?

http://www.japantoday.com/category/crim ... -indecency

Karate-ka

Post by Karate-ka » Apr 24th, '09, 15:17

i did laughed a bit when i read thi news one Toky graph.,..

Ginoru

Post by Ginoru » Apr 24th, '09, 23:31

What a total overreaction from media, even the people who the news programmes interview in the streets are surprised by all the buzz. He just got drunk(drunk like most of the japanese population after work), silly and noisy! Noisy being probably the main reason why he was notified to the police... The naked part? ok a nonsense but not different from what many others have done all around the world; make him pay a fee and do social services and move to more important isues, there have been a couple of much more serious crimes in Japan this days ( 2 particularly horrid murders between other things) and all japanese media and politics are going over and over again is that he got drunk and naked, (which by the way they are less interested to ask about than how many drinks and what kid did he drink, i have just seen his apologize press conference)! Newspaper covers, news on tv... not to mention that the raid in his apartment was totally illegal.

Lucky that many citizens called to protest about that politician declarations and he has taken it back...like if he had no things to de ashamed of...

He did a stupid thing and he already apologized, fine him, offer him help with drink or what he needs and move on.

groink

Post by groink » Apr 24th, '09, 23:51

Everyone must look at the context of the situation....

First, it is the Johnny's Jimusho factor. This organization CANNOT do any wrong! They've been through many scandals, including several ex-employees complaining about sexual advances to them by Kitagawa-san, and so on. The jimusho also has a LOT of power - not only in the geinokai but also in Japan society as a whole. The jimusho is a big bully! Some people even compare the jimusho to organized crime - as some of the tactics practiced by the two are similar. In other words, Johnny deserves every little scandal that is thrown at him. And believe me, many TV show producers would like to draw some blood from this organization.

Second, it is the popularity of SMAP. Kusanagi-san may not bring in good ratings for his drama appearances, but his association with the group makes him a very juicy prime target for the media. If SMAP was a has-been group like Hikaru Genji, then the news about Kusanagi would be placed much deeper, instead of being front-page headline news. Many people, including myself, believe that SMAP are nothing but tone-deaf, one style of acting bozos. Therefore, if one of them get out of line, let the paparazzi feast on them! And don't forget the wasabi!

And third, Asia IS scandal-crazed! The reason for this is that many Asians believe shame to his name is the worst thing that can happen to him. It isn't just entertainment - ANYONE who brings shame to his village, his workplace, or to his family should just jump off a cliff and let the gods handle him. Because Japan is becoming more westernized, I can see how some of the Japanese Ginoru mentioned would think that Kisanagi's one night of bad decisions is totally blown out of proportion.

This is one BAD flaw that the Japanese have embraced from the West. They should be sticking with their Eastern values, and place themselves on the bottom of the totem pole, while everything else above them are more important. This would allow them to seem less hypocritical and more humble.

--- groink

tkah

Post by tkah » Apr 25th, '09, 00:11

Honestly, I feel sorry for him. A 20 year career and mostly people will remember this incident. Johnny's is scary from what I have read. When did money become more important than people? I read a news article about how much money this may cost. Think about how Tsuyoshi Kusanagi must be feeling right now. I really can't imagine.

vhh

Post by vhh » Apr 25th, '09, 01:24

Oh groink, groink, groink...
groink wrote:Everyone must look at the context of the situation....
And believe me, many TV show producers would like to draw some blood from this organization.
I'm just wondering, who?
Second, it is the popularity of SMAP. Kusanagi-san may not bring in good ratings for his drama appearances, but his association with the group makes him a very juicy prime target for the media. If SMAP was a has-been group like Hikaru Genji, then the news about Kusanagi would be placed much deeper, instead of being front-page headline news.
Groink-speak: Incorrect beep-beep-beep. Scandal = ratings.
Many people, including myself, believe that SMAP are nothing but tone-deaf, one style of acting bozos. Therefore, if one of them get out of line, let the paparazzi feast on them! And don't forget the wasabi!
No, just you groink.
And third, Asia IS scandal-crazed! The reason for this is that many Asians believe shame to his name is the worst thing that can happen to him. It isn't just entertainment - ANYONE who brings shame to his village, his workplace, or to his family should just jump off a cliff and let the gods handle him. Because Japan is becoming more westernized, I can see how some of the Japanese Ginoru mentioned would think that Kisanagi's one night of bad decisions is totally blown out of proportion.

This is one BAD flaw that the Japanese have embraced from the West. They should be sticking with their Eastern values, and place themselves on the bottom of the totem pole, while everything else above them are more important. This would allow them to seem less hypocritical and more humble.

--- groink
Japan has been westernized for awhile now. In today's Japan/Asian elitist culture, public embarrassment is total failure and that is totally unacceptable for talent-o.

groink

Post by groink » Apr 25th, '09, 01:33

vhh wrote:Oh groink, groink, groink...
The rest of the troll's comments withheld. I'm much MUCH more an authority on Japanese culture than you. That's all I have to say.

--- groink

vhh

Post by vhh » Apr 25th, '09, 01:44

groink wrote:
vhh wrote:Oh groink, groink, groink...
The rest of the troll's comments withheld. I'm much MUCH more an authority on Japanese culture than you. That's all I have to say.

--- groink
Groink-speak: Beep-beep-beep-buzz buzz. Incorrect. Groink thinks he is an authority.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Apr 25th, '09, 17:44

It would be good for JE to be taken down a peg. They do manage a lot of pretty boys, but overstuffing the media with them has led to lots of boring drama seasons. Though he has played probably the most variety of roles among SMAP, but it's more about watching him play a role than inate talent...

PiaHawk

Post by PiaHawk » Apr 25th, '09, 23:24

Wow . . what a shame.

I was watching a SMAPxSanma special a few months ago, and Shingo was telling a story about how Kusanagi getting drunk and acting really crazy. I remember thinking "they really shouldn't let that guy drink". *sigh* I feel bad for him. I hope he can get help, and I hope smasma doesn't get canceled.

mixedmedia

Post by mixedmedia » Apr 25th, '09, 23:29

Any pics or links regarding the shirt?

I'm not big on novelty shirts but that sounds hilarious! Probably only way I'd ever get a shirt related to Kusanagi.

Least favorite of the JE guys I know so I'm not totally bummed for him but I am bummed for everyone who has to lose money because of his recklessness. Also bummed for the ppl who had to see him naked. Japanese Gollum!

Bummed that Asian society destroys their celebs for so little while ppl like Britney Spears do way worse thigns and keep trucking along.

JE does need to get taken down a bit. I'm sick of them over-saturating the airwaves.

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Apr 26th, '09, 16:48

Here is youtube video of the NHK broadcast of the press conference. Note, it has both the original Japanese audio on the left and English dub on the right.

kevkaho

Post by kevkaho » Apr 26th, '09, 18:18

can anyone get hold of any reaction or statement from the other members of SMAP???

atskv9

Post by atskv9 » Apr 26th, '09, 18:29

kevkaho wrote:can anyone get hold of any reaction or statement from the other members of SMAP???
How's this? Shingo on Sma Station apologizing for Kusanagi

kevkaho

Post by kevkaho » Apr 26th, '09, 18:49

atskv9 wrote:
kevkaho wrote:can anyone get hold of any reaction or statement from the other members of SMAP???
ya just saw it... Shingo has a very serious look and tone when he delivered his speech... he kept apologising on his behalf... i think they knoe tat this matter is getting too much blown out of proportion... Japanese media is really scary sia..

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Apr 26th, '09, 19:10

It does surprise me how many people think this is funny and make jokes about a man who obviously has some deep problems. He is an alcoholic and that has been known for some time. why didn't his managers, including the JE people, get him into some kind of therapy? where are his friends? Why did Shingo and Nakai not step in and stop Kusanagi when they saw his drinking getting so bad. They know how he drinks and passes out from some time back.

Obviously the media is out for blood concerning anything to do with Jimusho. they can only go so far however, and I trust that this may be the time for Kusanagi to get some real help.
I think it is a sad situation.

Peggy

Karate-ka

Post by Karate-ka » Apr 26th, '09, 19:51

Wait he is a alcoholic? i thought he was only very drunked this time, which led to this comotion.

charia-chan

Post by charia-chan » Apr 26th, '09, 20:23

He said he likes drinking and that he's weak against alcohol.
I don't think that makes him an alcoholic.
And even Japanese newspapers like the Japan Times start criticizing the fuss that is made out of this.

Tenguman

Post by Tenguman » Apr 26th, '09, 21:09

It all depends on how you define alcoholic doesn't it. I've thought for quite some time that Tsuyoshi is an alcoholic. A Japanese friend of mine insists that to her alcoholism runs rampant in Japan.

den4

Post by den4 » Apr 26th, '09, 21:49

Problem in Japan is that they still don't understand what alcoholism is...even by western standards....most of them think it's ok to get plaster-faced drunk, splay themselves across the seats of the midnight trains in the large cities, and get back to work the next day with a hangover because that's just part of the job....but run around naked in a park, then that's a big NO NONONONONONONONONONO.....even though for years back before the previous J-recession, it was not a big deal to be sober or drunk and grope women on the train....just can't be running amok naked....
JE really needs to get a grip on what alcoholism is and what blackouts can do per the individual that drinks too much :whistling:

Jhobbit

Post by Jhobbit » Apr 27th, '09, 03:33

I hope that he can get his career back on track. It would be interesting to see if people will forgive him and let him move on. This may be a test to see how conservative people are in Japan and Korea since he has a lot of fans in Korea also.

ZoddGuts

Post by ZoddGuts » Apr 29th, '09, 01:31

atskv9 wrote:
Ah damn video is deleted. Anyone know where elsewhere to watch it.

Edit: Found it

And Kusanagi

surpur

Post by surpur » Apr 29th, '09, 14:29

Well these guys have to work incredible schedules, nobody in the West would or could put up with the pressure they are always under. :blink
I am surprised how well they seem to handle it and that nobody caused a scandal years ago...
So just lighten up on him and lets hope that Smap as a group will continue

Karate-ka

Post by Karate-ka » Apr 29th, '09, 14:57

They will, Inagaki Goro's thing from years back was worst then this...

the fact that Kusanagi was afliated with so many company's made the whole thing a big deal.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » May 3rd, '09, 18:39

Although I think this drinking is a serious problem for Kusanagi san, it is already really a storm in a teacup. On to the next 'scandal' etc.
SMAP has been top of the list for twenty years. They are all well bonded members of the group and close ranks when one of them has a problem. Already the plans are in place for them to reunite for future programmes.

For myself I enjoy the group and admire Kimura san for all his talents and hard work. At this moment I can't think of a western group who have twenty years of entertaining over such a broad range of the singing/acting/ general comedy and various other interesting things done by the group.

Just my two cents.

Peggy

jive talkin

Post by jive talkin » May 4th, '09, 12:35

i don't think its a big deal, in fact i think its pretty hilarious.

but hes not getting indicted, so thats good.
i guess he'll just do the normal thing when people get in trouble and lay low for a bit before returning to the spotlight.

meowthy

Post by meowthy » May 9th, '09, 17:32

lol i often watch him in waratte and he doesnt seem to look like he can break the JE rules lol but i must admit that this is really a small incident that made a lot of buzz because he is from the johnny's. i feel like everybody in japan media is determined to put this agency down lol.

chokubi

Post by chokubi » May 18th, '09, 09:11

Kusanagi Tsuyoshi Returns.
Kusanagi Tsuyoshi (34) is ready to get his career back on track barely a month after his arrest, according to a statement yesterday from Johnny's Jimusho (profile). He will join the other members of SMAP on May 28 to record their weekly variety show "SMAPxSMAP," which will be aired on June 1. On May 29 he will make his first live appearance, in his regular slot on the afternoon show "Waratte Iitomo," and record the narration for the music show "Bokura no Ongaku." Filming of the new "Jinkyo Helper" drama series in which he stars will begin as scheduled in June and the show will aired as planned from July. All the shows are on the same Fuji TV network. Johnny's said that they are cooperating with Fuji and that Kusanagi is likely to give a press conference before his return to work. Although he was let off with a suspended indictment after his April 23 arrest for public indecency, the speed of his return is about money more than an admission of the limited impact of a rare drunken outburst on public morals. If he had received the standard punishment of several months probation, the losses from his TV, radio, movie and commercial contracts would have been in the billions of yen. There was also the outpouring of support from fans, many of whom thought that police had been unnecessarily harsh on someone who, at least when sober, is rather shy and one of the country's most unassuming celebrities.
Makes me wonder if it was a publicity stint to begin with.

meowthy

Post by meowthy » May 18th, '09, 12:20

wow that's good news!

Jhobbit

Post by Jhobbit » May 30th, '09, 22:13

What has been happening with him. Has enough time passed for all this furore to go away and people have something else to focus on?

I'm watching "Boku to kanojo to kanojo" and I quite like him as an actor.