The Moon that Embraces the Sun (MBC, 2012)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
kitty10
Japan

The Moon that Embraces the Sun (MBC, 2012)

Post by kitty10 » Jan 6th, '12, 20:00

Title: 해를 품은 달 / Haereul Poomeun Dal
Also known as: The Moon Embracing the Sun / The Sun and the Moon
Genre: Romance, fantasy, period
Episodes: 20
Broadcast network: MBC
Broadcast period: 2012-Jan-04 to 2012-Mar-??
Air time: Wednesday & Thursday 21:55
Director: Kim Do Hoon (김도훈)
Screenwriter: Jin Soo Wan
Official site: http://www.imbc.com/broad/tv/drama/sunNmoon/
Recaps: Dramabeans, A Koala's Playground
Novel summary/translation: Electric Ground's Book Club

Synopsis:
Historical drama "The Moon Embracing The Sun" tells a love story between King Lee Hwon and a female shaman named Wol. Wol was born from a noble family and became the crown princess, but she was entrapped and faced execution. Finally, she lived as a shaman. Based on the novel 해를 품은 달 (The Moon That Embraces the Sun) by Jung Eun Gwol (first published December 29, 2005), who is also the author of the novel that Sungkyunkwan Scandal was based on.

Main Cast
Kim Soo Hyun as Lee Hwon
Yeo Jin Goo as young Hwon
Han Ga In as Wol / Heo Yeon Woo
Kim Yoo Jung as young Yeon Woo
Jung Il Woo as Prince Yang Myung
Lee Min Ho as young Yang Myung
Kim Min Seo as Yoon Bo Kyung
Kim So Hyun as young Bo Kyung
Song Jae Hee (송재희) as Heo Yeom
Siwan as young Yeom
Song Jae Rim (송재림) as Jin Chae Woon
Lee Won Gun (이원근) as young Woon

The Palace
Jung Eun Pyo as Hyung Sun
Yoon Hee Suk as Hong Gyu Tae
Kim Ye Ryung as Lady Park (Yang Myung's mother)
Seo Hyun Chul as Shim San
Lee Seung Hyung as Han Jae Gil
Chu Gwi Jung (추귀정) as Court Lady Jo
Kim Min Kyung (김민경) as Court Lady Min

The Sungsuchung
Jun Mi Sun as Jang Nok Young
Kim Ik Tae as Hye Gak
Bae Noo Ri (배누리) as Jan Shil
Jo Min Ah (조민아) as young Jan Shil
Jang Young Nam as Ali (cameo, ep 1)

Lee Hwon's Family
Kim Young Ae as Queen Dowager Jung Hui
Ahn Nae Sang as King Sung Jo (Lee Hwon's father)
Kim Sun Kyung as Queen So Hye
Nam Bo Ra as Princess Min Hwa
Jin Ji Hee as young Princess Min Hwa

Heo Family
Sun Woo Jae Duk as Heo Young Jae
Yang Mi Kyung as Shin Jung Kyung
Yoon Seung Ah as Seol
Seo Ji Hee as young Seol

Yoon Family
Kim Eung Soo as Yoon Dae Hyung
Jang Hee Soo (장희수) as Mrs. Kim
Kim Seung Wook as Yoon Soo Chan

Episode Ratings (TNmS)
Ep / Nationwide / Seoul
01: 15.0 (3rd) / 16.9 (3rd)
02: 17.3 (3rd) / 20.8 (3rd)

~

Is anyone watching this? I'm quite excited because of Kim Soo-hyun (can't wait for him to appear), but so far the child actors have been wonderful.
Last edited by kitty10 on Jan 6th, '12, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 6th, '12, 20:14

Not so sure about the cast. I like the story but I need more grown up and mature actors for me to enjoy. They're just too young for my liking.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 6th, '12, 20:56

I wrote that in Idiot Dongsu thread. I love Yeo Jin Goo, and I started this for him and Lee Minho.
Yeo Jin Goo is the brightest talent I have seen among young actors.

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Jan 6th, '12, 21:34

Agree with you Ethlenn about YJG but not much a fan of Lee Min Ho!
Oh their hanboks *_*!May be I'll watch this !

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Jan 8th, '12, 10:20

Just finished the first episode (with Chinese subs) and I like it. Generally I don't like dramas with a lot of child actors (want to get to the meaty parts with the adults! :P) but the young stars here were adorable. I am liking Yeo Jin-gu and Kim Yoo-jung together, they're so sweet. Agree that Yeo Jin-gu is very good and hope his acting star continues to shine. Lee Min-ho is pretty decent as well, I think the character will transition well when Jung Il-woo takes over.

Also good to see some veterans that I like. Ahn Nae-sang is always a class act, no matter the size of the role, and it's lovely seeing Yang Mi-kyung (Yeon-woo's mother, Lady Shin) again. Saw her many years ago in Dae Jang Geum and still remember her fondly.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jan 14th, '12, 08:25

Perhaps i will watch this one. But I have to admit, that i have some problems with Kim Soo Hyun. He is a grown man, but looks like a kid and i have problems to take him seriously as a king.

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Jan 14th, '12, 20:29

Silverman wrote:Perhaps i will watch this one. But I have to admit, that i have some problems with Kim Soo Hyun. He is a grown man, but looks like a kid and i have problems to take him seriously as a king.
From what I've read, Hwon is a young king who looks young, which means people don't take him seriously enough. He ascended the throne at 19 and has been in power for 4 years at the start of the story. So I think Kim Soo-hyun is well-cast.

Quite a few Korean actors/actresses look much younger than their actual age. That is no fault of theirs.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jan 14th, '12, 21:04

In this case, he is perfectly casted^^.

enkeys

Post by enkeys » Jan 22nd, '12, 01:17

Agree with some of you who said Yeo Jin Goo is brilliant.This is the first time watching him and he blew me away with his acting.I watched Lee Min Ho (he is the young prince Yang Myeong right?) several times before and i thought he's good but i think YJG did better in this drama.

Is there no subbing group that is willing to sub this drama?

p/s:i think all the young actors are hot!especially Heo Yeom and Kim Je Woon ;)

iLLusiOnEr

Post by iLLusiOnEr » Jan 22nd, '12, 01:54

YJG played KSY's brother back in 'Giant'..now they play the same character. In 'Giant', he pairs with Nam Ji Hyun and now with Kim Yoo Jung.Two of the best child-teen actress. What a lucky boy!

Darksmurfs as always has the subs.Pretty fast edited too.Dramabeans has so far recaps each episode.its chosun era saeguk,so not too difficult to me after so many saeguks.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 22nd, '12, 09:48

iLLusiOnEr wrote:its chosun era saeguk,so not too difficult to me after so many saeguks.
It's sageuk.
Sa- history
Geuk - play, stage

sae - new, guk - soup

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Jan 23rd, '12, 16:55

So the adult cast has made its appearance. What do you guys think so far? I'm really happy to see Kim Soo-hyun rocking the role of Hwon.

enkeys

Post by enkeys » Jan 24th, '12, 09:08

kitty10 wrote:So the adult cast has made its appearance. What do you guys think so far? I'm really happy to see Kim Soo-hyun rocking the role of Hwon.
cant really say much since he appeared just for a while.cant wait to see him in ep7.somehow i think jung il woo doesnt really live up to my expectation...but that's juz maybe cuz i just finished watching him in Flower Boy Ramyun Shop.Have to get use to seeing him playing Yeom.

I really cant wait to see Han Ga In acting opposite Kim Soo Hyun.Hope they will have a good on screen chemistry despite the large age gap.

This is my 2nd period drama after Dae Jang Geum hope it'll be just as good :)

enkeys

Post by enkeys » Jan 24th, '12, 09:24

iLLusiOnEr wrote:
Darksmurfs as always has the subs.Pretty fast edited too.Dramabeans has so far recaps each episode.its chosun era saeguk,so not too difficult to me after so many saeguks.
thanks.kpopandasubs just announced they're gonna stop subbing after ep 6 :( their subs are pretty good considering how hard it is to sub a period drama.

xploring

Post by xploring » Feb 7th, '12, 10:41

I watched most of the first 10 episodes and it's been absorbing. Acting has been great, particularly the young girl playing the young Yeon Woo, and there were bits of writing I really like too. Even though Seol is only a minor supporting character, I really like her, but I get the feeling that there won't be a happy ending for her, or for the series as a whole either. Hopefully it won't turn out that way.

polosport

Post by polosport » Feb 16th, '12, 21:24

thanks for sharing!!

Roksana1075

Post by Roksana1075 » Feb 29th, '12, 11:24

very nice, thanks a lot

justintorque

Post by justintorque » Mar 18th, '12, 04:24

Oh, the drama finally ended. With so much going on.. I would have wanted a much more deeper ending but nonetheless, this drama is awesome and probably one of the best drama this season. A must watch indeed. Thank you guys ^__^

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Mar 18th, '12, 07:44

I have a question - is this really that good? I heard that ratings were just amazing.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 18th, '12, 09:04

As for me, I dropped it when kid actors left. It felt shallow after that. I was trying to convince myself to this drama saying it's the same writer that wrote book SKKS, but somehow those 2 storylines are different in writing, with different approach and mastery. SKKS was bursting with energy, this one was lackluster. High ratings are because of fantasy element, forbidden love that lasts, sacrifice and all that blah blah. Like Baker King.

Orange_Guy

Post by Orange_Guy » Mar 19th, '12, 02:41

Ethlenn wrote:As for me, I dropped it when kid actors left. It felt shallow after that. I was trying to convince myself to this drama saying it's the same writer that wrote book SKKS, but somehow those 2 storylines are different in writing, with different approach and mastery. SKKS was bursting with energy, this one was lackluster. High ratings are because of fantasy element, forbidden love that lasts, sacrifice and all that blah blah. Like Baker King.
Totally agree, i have the same opinion. This drama is just like Yeon Woo/Wol's character in the grown up version, blank

BOGCHI

Post by BOGCHI » Mar 24th, '12, 06:24

LMAO @ that YeonWoo/Wol comment, cause it's true! Her role just got too DULL.
Not done yet, but overall I'm enjoying the drama. It's a typical forbidden love story set in the Joseon era, but the set up in the beginning just got me too hook that I wanna know what happens next or in the end. I like the characters, I like that the subplots aren't all over the place and the center of attention are always on the lead characters. Warning though, this drama has such crazy cliffhangers that would make you want to keep going.

wolfsbane_desu

Post by wolfsbane_desu » Apr 9th, '12, 23:45

To be honest the only parts I liked of this drama were the Princess Minhwa/Yeom scenes. I though they had the most interesting story.

ziliey

Post by ziliey » Apr 16th, '12, 12:32

I loved it when them kid actors were around.. :D

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Aug 2nd, '12, 05:05

ok so I ended up skipping to the last episodes as soon as the adults showed up and even then I just skimmed through the last two episodes so I have some questions.

First What happened to the smart, strong, Yeon Woo ?
Second Who is that girl living with Nok-young?
Third Do any of the characters other than Yean Woo and Hwon have a point?

icebaby012

Post by icebaby012 » Sep 1st, '12, 17:07

1.) In the book, adult Yeon Woo is still a smart, strong girl, it's just that the role wasn't portrayed effectively by Han Ga In, well, in most scenes.

2.) That's Jan Shil, she was saved by Yang Myung from child labor. I am not sure if she was adopted by Nok-Young after that. Obviously, she has a potential to be a shaman because of her natural spiritual powers. I'm not yet done reading the book but I really hope there will be more depth in her character.

3.) As far as I know, the drama intended to focus more on YW and LW and omitted many important storylines making other characters less significant. Needless to say, there is also lack of growth and development on supporting roles. However, in the book they have their own in-depth story like for Woon who was born as an illegitimate child, abused by her biological mother but dearly loved by his father's legal wife. After Hwon promoted his rank to a noble, he's able to reciprocate that love to his foster mother. Aside from that, he also loves Yeon Woo! His name the eponymous for "cloud" (in Chinese, I think) that covers the sun and the moon. As to Seol (snow) and Yeom (fire), their love did not flourish due to class struggle. And just like the snow that melts on heat/fire, she died in his arms. Don't you just love the connotations of their names?!

If you don't like the drama, I suggest you read the book. It's worth it.;)

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Sep 2nd, '12, 18:44

icebaby012 wrote:1.) In the book, adult Yeon Woo is still a smart, strong girl, it's just that the role wasn't portrayed effectively by Han Ga In, well, in most scenes.

2.) That's Jan Shil, she was saved by Yang Myung from child labor. I am not sure if she was adopted by Nok-Young after that. Obviously, she has a potential to be a shaman because of her natural spiritual powers. I'm not yet done reading the book but I really hope there will be more depth in her character.

3.) As far as I know, the drama intended to focus more on YW and LW and omitted many important storylines making other characters less significant. Needless to say, there is also lack of growth and development on supporting roles. However, in the book they have their own in-depth story like for Woon who was born as an illegitimate child, abused by her biological mother but dearly loved by his father's legal wife. After Hwon promoted his rank to a noble, he's able to reciprocate that love to his foster mother. Aside from that, he also loves Yeon Woo! His name the eponymous for "cloud" (in Chinese, I think) that covers the sun and the moon. As to Seol (snow) and Yeom (fire), their love did not flourish due to class struggle. And just like the snow that melts on heat/fire, she died in his arms. Don't you just love the connotations of their names?!

If you don't like the drama, I suggest you read the book. It's worth it.;)
I would love to read the book, but is there an English translation somewhere because if not I'm out of luck

pekkauwer

Post by pekkauwer » Jan 21st, '13, 17:09

Hi sorry to bump this old topic, i hope issy and ethleen can help, what is the name of ost that when king arrives? Its the same ost when introduce actor and actress

Thanks for helping

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 21st, '13, 18:12

pekkauwer wrote:Hi sorry to bump this old topic, i hope issy and ethleen can help, what is the name of ost that when king arrives? Its the same ost when introduce actor and actress

Thanks for helping
Oh, sorry to disappoint you, I dropped that and have no idea what moment you're describing. Maybe which ep and minute? I could look it up.

pekkauwer

Post by pekkauwer » Jan 21st, '13, 22:54

ok, its just episode 1 iirc

its when the scholars and government officer bow down to "cruel king"(i assume-1st time watch) and the mother of girl introduce two men who are friends for eternity.

the scene is after the stolen mooncakes, stolen umbrellas, stolen papers etc etc

kinda found it but its not grand like in drama

shintee

The Moon that Embraces the Sun

Post by shintee » Mar 18th, '13, 22:16

bihi
Last edited by shintee on Mar 25th, '13, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 18th, '13, 22:26

Then learn how to retime. There are few tutorials around (even on DA here).
Oh, and post in the right section. :glare:

shintee

thoughts - SPOILER ALERT

Post by shintee » Mar 25th, '13, 22:09

THOUGHTS: SPOILER ALERT

finally finished this series.
I have read others' opinion about the story and honestly, likewise, I am not wow-ed as well. how did this even get best drama of 2012? the production was pretty good tho, I give them that. a lot of money was probably put into it.

I enjoyed the beginning with the kids. I tot that would suck tho especially that weird destined 1st encounter with the king and heo yeon woo. I was like "urgh, love my butt. you brats are 10 years too early for this" but they were all good! Kim Min Seo was a bit boring but I don't think that she got too many chances to show off, unlike the rest. The boy who played Lee Hwon was amazing, AMAZING! he was both green and a prince. I haven't seen him before but he's super impressive. and Lee Min Ho, omg love that guy. what's not to love? c'mon. tho it's just depresssing taht he didn't get the girl and he was fixated on her throughout his life. his character was tragic.

but man, after that, like I can't quite rmb what happened in the middle even. it's like kind of slow and boring and Yeon Woo grown up was just servile and enduring and patient. wasn't she supposed to be smart and all that? here, she was just waiting for things to happen to her. I tot she would kick it up a notch after she recalled her memories and she kinda did (lied to the guards to see Seol and confirm the story) but after that, bleh. the king also made me mad after a while (though he's quite easy on the eyes lol. he has great lips and almond eyes). he seemed like such a weak ruler, nor particularly smart or compassionate (he just talked a lot about "his people" and "innocent lives" but always his main objective was just getting the girl and settling scores. some ruler) and just yelled at people a lot. I tot he was quite a disagreeable prick. I think that's what sunk this series for me. I didn't particularly root for either the hero and heroine.
at the end, he seemed intent on just punishing the evil doers, rather than rewarding the loyal. he was inflexible in giving out punishments like the head shaman?! like COME ON! there was so much she risked to save the yeon woo. For the princess, she KINDA deserved it but what about the fact that she had no knowledge of what she was doing? what about that? not to mention, for someone who keeps talking about the welfare of his citizens, that bloodshed at the end was unnecessary. he didn't even give his enemies (AND THEIR SERVANTS) a chance to disarm. he was like "ok, kill all these traitors"
he didn't make amends to the Heo household either. tho I am glad that Yeom was able to serve in the govt after that. that was quite a sad part of the series too.

the supporting cast kicked ass tho - like the Head Shaman, she's awesome
and prince yang myung. his character was just too depressing sigh. I dun quite understand his suicidal intentions at the end. what do you gain from that man? the people might have wanted to revolt but that's because the current king sucked. it's not your fault!

the actually touching :cry: moments in this drama were
1) Seol and Yeom - that was soooo touching
2) and strangely, the scene in ep 20 with the princess and yeom. the princess really grew up here. that ridiculous selfish bug-eyed infatuation became real devotion at the end.

btw, do you think that Yeom remarried the princess again? lol.

:wub: 8) :roll :alcoholic: :idea:

shintee

Post by shintee » Mar 26th, '13, 00:14

forgot to mention - I LOVE the OST for this series. the instrumental pieces only though. it is one of the best I have heard from a korean drama.