[Discussion] Time Slip Dr. Jin (MBC,2012)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
The Chaos
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

[Discussion] Time Slip Dr. Jin (MBC,2012)

Post by The Chaos » May 11th, '12, 14:06

Title: 타임슬립 닥터 진 / Time Slip Dr. Jin
Genre: Period, medical
Episodes: TBA
Broadcast network: MBC
Broadcast period: 2012-May-26 to TBA
Air time: Saturday & Sunday 21:50

Synopsis
Jin Hyuk is a genius neurosurgeon with a cold and severe attitude in his interactions with other people due to his personal pursuit of perfection. Through a mysterious power, Jin Hyuk finds himself transported back in time 150 years. He begins treating people there, but the lack of necessary implements and rudimentary medical knowledge of the period forces him to seek new ways to aid the sick. Through this challenging process, Jin Hyuk eventually becomes a genuine doctor.

Cast
Song Seung Hun as Jin Hyuk
Kim Jaejoong as Kim Kyung Tak
Lee Bum Soo as Lee Ha Eung
Park Min Young as Yoo Mi Na / Hong Young Rae
Lee So Yeon as Choon Hong
Jin Yi Han as Hong Young Hwi
Kim Eung Soo as Kim Byung Hee
Jung Eun Pyo as Heo Gwang
Kim Myung Soo as Kim Dae Gyun
Lee Won Jong as Joo Pal
Kim Il Woo
Kim Hye Ok
Kim Byung Choon
Kim Kwang Sik

some Images from the filming :

info from Drama Wiki

Issy

Post by Issy » May 11th, '12, 14:43

I like other three cast and they are my reason's to watch. as for SSH, from my previous exposure to his acting in My Princess, I just wish they have picked a different male lead. It's such a shame that LBS has to be second and SSH to be the first lead. :whistling:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 11th, '12, 15:13

I agree with Issy, too bad they casted such a wooden actor. Or maybe we are all biased and he's a terrific actor.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » May 11th, '12, 15:43

PMY is a monster. In a time period, where other actors make 1 drama, she makes 3. Well either she is a monster or she doesn't have any other schedules, which is hardly to believe.

The Chaos
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by The Chaos » May 12th, '12, 14:18

First teaser for Dr.Jin come out today !!!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 13th, '12, 18:34

The Chaos
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by The Chaos » May 16th, '12, 09:44

The Poster is here :

and tomorrow the press con for Dr.Jin ^^

Issy

Post by Issy » May 16th, '12, 11:59

They really have run out of ideas for drama posters. That IS a worst one I have seen so far. :glare:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 16th, '12, 13:42

As I wrote someplace else - they all look constipated.
Bad colors, bad layout, bad everything. Bad main actor. Hate the poster.

There are some fangirls of Lee Beomsu out there, so his character:

Lee Ha Eung (1820-1898) - he is better known as Daewon gun, the regent reigning in place/along of his weakling son, King Gojong. Yes Daewon gun was political beast, and he was family monster. Yes, he knew about plans to assassinate Queen Min.
Charming gentleman, really.

Issy

Post by Issy » May 16th, '12, 16:09

And I also wrote somewhere else that there have been some sort of character mix up in K-version.
in JIN the J-version, Dr Jin's love interest is Miki who also looked exactly like the famous Geisha Nokaze in Edo times. He only meets Saki when he starts living with her family when he travels back in time.

but it seems that in K-version, they made PMY (which I believe it's Saki's character) be the love interest (both in past and present) and he will meet the famous gisaeng in Joseon times.

I really like to see how they have changed the storyline from this point of view because dr Jin's relationship with both women, is totally different from one to another.
but of course because there is always a small issue of OTP present in Kdramas. you can see why they have decided on PMY be the love interest in both eras.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » May 16th, '12, 22:57

I wish they had not decided to do a third version of Dr. Jin. the first one in Japan was really fascinating and left allsorts of time jump questions up for discussion. The actual adventures of a modern doctor in old Edo became something of real interest. Not a great deal was made of the romantic side of things which made it all ring in a more satisfying way. He never did forget his first love back in modern times.
The second version in Japan was a dead loss for me. It repeated the characters and moved things along but it never had the same excitement and wonder of being back in time. It also did not have a very satisfactory ending as far as I was concerned. The best thing was having a really good cast each time. Osawa Takao is such a good actor and very attractive. He does not mind being put into a difficult scene and looking like a dirty tramp or somesuch. He is just a good actor. I do not expect things like that from the chosen one in the Korean version.
I also think I am getting bitchy about the leading lady who seems to be all over the place in Korean dramas. I am tired of her face. Sometimes a little portion is an elegant sufficiency. Not just in food but also in mediocre abilities. Yes definitely getting bitchy.

Issy

Post by Issy » May 17th, '12, 04:35

@peggy
I definitely don't think you are being bitchy here!
One thing I had noticed when I started watching dramas was the fact that actors and actresses didn't do 2-3 dramas in one year. You were lucky if you were watching your favourite actor/actress once a year. I guess PMY is the money maker right now.

To be honest, I did not watch JIN2. I still have it on my HDD but ep1 was boring and repetitive enough to take away my excitement and enthusiasm about watching the rest.
But as you said, romance was kept to minimum.
Now no offence to any SSH fans out there but I really don't think he was picked up for his acting abilities here. So bearing that fact in mind, would they let him be in his worst imaginable look? I highly doubt that. I think we going to watch another case of Spotless clean LDH in Chuno. They even have the best excuse for doing so. He IS a Dr after all.
Well, we only can wait and see I suppose.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » May 17th, '12, 05:09

Issy :-)

SSH remindsme of Tony Curtis in a 1965 slapstick comedy which appears now and then on TV. He remains so shiny bright and that is what happened to Tony C. during the whole of the H'Wood film 'The Great Race' It was an early in the century setting of a car race around the world. It made for some really marvellous situations in many different setting including Alaska and Nevada and france etc etc . the one that I always remember is in some Ruritaniun kingdom where Jack Lemmon was the crazy ruler in the usual goldbraided uniform..plus a glassof brandy at all times. In one situation everyone was in a large bakery and there was a pie throwing event. It took a week to filmthis maybe tenminute scene. Everyone was plastered with whipped cream etc and some had to go to hospital to be given oxygen with airways stopped up. through it all Tony Curtis in his sparkling white clothes remained clean as a whistle. I don't know how they manage it but he was so beautiful they even made his teeth sparkle and flash as he smiled his way through the whole barrage of pies.

That is what they will do for SSH when he has to go through a forest with samurais chasing him.
I have to find and watch 'The Great Race' again. It's always good to laugh out loud.

OnlyWish

Post by OnlyWish » May 17th, '12, 05:53

do not like remakes :s

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » May 17th, '12, 12:43

1. The Lee Beom Soo fangirl appreciates the info and read a bit about him in Wikipedia (you hate me, I know). Wonder if he'll be good or bad as a character here.
Will they use the character as a bad or a good guy for Dr. Botox and also, will they care much about the actual character or just be "inspired by him:, a.k.a change everything?

2. Song Seung Heon is a bad actor and he lacks charisma. He has looks, but not charm. He's cold. Osawa Takao is one sexy man.
He can make you melt with one word and one look and he's also a good actor. So, to chose someone without skills OR charisma to do the Korean version feels like a big waste.
It's a waste in general, let alone when the person who has done the previous live-action version was so good. I don't want to see a guy who can only act with his six-pack.

3. I am fond of Park Min Young, mostly for her choices. She has not gone the "bimbo way". She is an ok actress, even if nothing special. If she suits the character, I'm good with her.

4. Jae Joong looks very clean and perfect and I hope he continues to improve. If all goes well, this will be a serious show so he should be able to at least keep up.
That said, the "rival" guy is such a bad actor that Jae Joong will look decent compared to him. But both can't match up to the third guy. Their youth and looks are all they have on him

Ok. Said all I wanted to say for my first post. Will be part of this group now. It's been a while. Expect my b*tching. I hope there won't be much of it, but it's definitely coming..

gabriellacia

Post by gabriellacia » May 17th, '12, 13:10

I don't know about you guys, but I've always thought Song Seung Heon as a great actor. I watched him in East of Eden and I thought his acting is great
I'm really looking forward to this drama, not only because Jaejoong's in it but the story plot seems interesting
And I haven't watched the Japanese version so this story will be new to me
Hopefully the drama will turn out great :D

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » May 17th, '12, 13:31

I have not watched East of Eden, but he was bad in two works of his I've seen which did require good acting. An actor is not an actor is he/she has 2 good performances and 15 bad.

But I am still open to being surprised. If I do see good acting from him, I got no problem acknowledging it. I just haven't so far and since he's been working for many years, I don't hope much.

But let's see how this starts then. I have not watched the Japanese version either, neither have I read the original. So, it will be interesting to see this and also see what those familiar with the previous works think.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » May 18th, '12, 01:31

Now I think I have to watch this drama just to get in on what looks to be a good discussion thread. I am sorry but I really do not think SSH is anywhere near being a 'Great Actor'... that is something beyond him. He is good to look at and he is more of a charmer. Acting is not easy and a great actor usually is in torment over his capabilities and how to play any role. SSH is never in torment I am sure. He looks good that is for sure. A Lot of good looking actors in the kdrama world and many are now idols and very young and they are learning the craft of acting. They all are trainees and have worked their skin off for many years to know how to do everything.

They amaze me sometimes. there is talent there but it is the work ethic that will carry them along to being successful and maybe good actors.

mugiwarrra

Post by mugiwarrra » May 19th, '12, 10:39

such a shame that lee bum soo is not playing the lead here (all his dramas and movies were good,giant was the best drama ever) what role will he be playing here is it the same as sakamoto ryoma in the japanes version

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 19th, '12, 11:21

Can everyone please stop comparing those dramas? And how come Lee Bumsoo will play the same character as Sakamoto Ryoma? Sakamoto died early and what he had done was just to write the decree that allowed all hans to be returned to Emperor. He's an important person, fine, but please, with cherry on top - look around the character played by LBS - he was the freaking mastermind behind late 19-century politics in Korea.
Sakamoto had nowhere near the same power as Daewon-gun.

My eyes fail to see the resemblance between those two characters.

mugiwarrra

Post by mugiwarrra » May 19th, '12, 11:58

im really sorry if i offended in any way possible

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 19th, '12, 12:05

mugiwarrra wrote:im really sorry if i offended in any way possible
No you didn't, dear. It's just I'm fed up with constant comparison of few dramas. You can't offend me like this, trust me.

What's Up! was compared to Dream High, now this one to Jin.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » May 19th, '12, 15:21

Since it's Jin, of course there's going to be comparisons. But what is wrong with the comparison is the historical relevance. Korea has different history than Japan. Sakamoto in Japan does not exist in Korean history. Some modifications has to be same for the difference in culture and history.

What I find odd is the love line. Jin's lover wasn't suppose to die, she was in a coma. But I guess maybe the writer doesn't want Jin to keep holding onto the past/future like in Japan (which I found enduring). Also, his lover was a hooker. But I guess Korea doesn't like main leads falling for hookers and wanted to establish the pair right early on? There wasn't any established romance to Jin in Japan either. As for suggesting LBS to be the main lead, I think he seems to look a bit old for the role. Also, you need someone better looking.

Issy

Post by Issy » May 19th, '12, 16:04

Correct me if I am wrong but Time Slip Dr Jin is a remake of the Japanese manga JIN. As I read, it was licensed from the mangaka. Therefore this drama can not escape comparison between the two. It has same storyline and same characters. They even kept the title name so how it is possible not to compare them? It's the same case of Hana Yori Dango and Boys over the flower. nothing is different.

It does not really matter to me who was more important, Sakamoto Ryoma or Daewon-gun in history of both countries. I think it was mentioned because in JIN mangaka used a real historical figure so I guess people including me were wondering about how real LBS's character was. I don't think anyone wanted to compare both figures. I believe each one of them had a great place in their nation's history.

again, these are my personal thoughts. so feel free to disagree.
Last edited by Issy on May 19th, '12, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » May 19th, '12, 21:26

I have to agree. This is not a historical series. It's a fictional work and a sageuk. I'm sure both these people did their own thing in real life, but I just don't care in this case.
However, since this and the Japanese live-action are based on the same work, of course I'll compare. If this were a history series, I'd care more about who is who.

But I think what most of us are "comparing" are the fictional characters, plot elements and cast. History is another issue and one that does not matter here.

Talking about Lee Beom Soo now, Osawa Takao who played Dr. Jin in the Japanese version is of around the same age (2 yrs older, actually). So I only see one problem with casting Lee.
He's not fangirl material. In a series where Song and Jae Joong are the guys in the love triangle (hot young men), it's no mystery what audience they're aiming for. Lee is not "pretty" enough.

Would I prefer a serious series with emphasis on story, characters and performances, with Lee Beom Soo as the lead? Yes. But this is clearly not such a show, so no use being sad over it. It's just on a whole other level.

I just wish it's "good enough". City Hunter was a nice show, but it was also fanservice and hot young men in the romance department.
So, a young cast does not mean a bad show, but it shows the production's intentions about their audience and therefore handling of things.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » May 20th, '12, 03:35

Orion1986 wrote: Talking about Lee Beom Soo now, Osawa Takao who played Dr. Jin in the Japanese version is of around the same age (2 yrs older, actually).
wow...I didn't realize Osawa was older than LBS. I'm sorry, Osawa looks younger and much more charismatic than LBS.

The city hunter manga was a hot young man with a hot side kick female. It had some action and fan service so the drama wasn't too off in casting. But the story got totally changed. I wouldn't even call it anything related to city hunter manga/anime. I think they just used the title to gain attention. They could have called it anything other title and no one would notice nor call them out for copyright infringement.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » May 20th, '12, 09:29

I did mind the fact that they used a name they had nothing in common with, but I never read the original there either. So, it was just a title to me. But like you say, it was a "youthful" manga.
I also don't know about the Jin manga. Is it supposed to have older characters? Was the Japanese series closer to it? But no matter what, it's not important. I just want this to be a good series.

That would be the only reason to compare it to the Japanese one. If you have a good work to base your own work on, you better at least match up to it to some degree. Maintain the good image and quality it has. Song Seung Heon is not a good start. XD

And indeed, Osawa is quite the handsome one and aged well. He's also tall. Lee is short and not too youthful. Even if he has skills and charisma (he can be pretty charming when he wants to as well), that's not enough if you're doing a "fangirl version".

But like I said, most of these actors (in the Korean version) do chose good works a lot, so maybe we'll get a nice balance between fanservice and solid quality. I wouldn't mind another "City Hunter". Of course, that had Lee Min Ho and not Dr. Botox...

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » May 20th, '12, 14:45

Orion1986 wrote: I also don't know about the Jin manga. Is it supposed to have older characters? Was the Japanese series closer to it? But no matter what, it's not important. I just want this to be a good series.
I didn't read the manga, but from the plot summary, Jin is a talented 34 yr old neurosurgeon. I think Osawa could pass as a 34 yr old. Not LSB. He looks like he's in his 40's or something. Jin in the manga doesn't have a love interest. The Jdrama added that on.

What I find disturbing is the main female character. In the J version, he likes Saki but it was Nokaze who resembles his lover. It was a close call when he almost slept with Nokaze. I was gonna go "ewww". But now they have the main character with the same face as his lover. I really can't see them as a pair now. I would go "ewww". Jin is going to fall in love and do what not with his lover's ancestor? O_o It's just not right. Maybe the Korean version will say they just look a like and they're not related at all. It would have been better if the Kdrama just followed the manga instead of the Jdrama maybe if they want to go that road.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » May 20th, '12, 15:13

I also hope they won't pull that. Screwing his way up her family tree like an incest-prone time-traveling freak would not be romantic at all.

Hopefully, it will be an unrelated resemblance or then they won't go the couple way. Anything but what I just said in the previous part. XD

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 20th, '12, 15:39

Orion1986 wrote:I also hope they won't pull that. Screwing his way up her family tree like an incest-prone time-traveling freak would not be romantic at all.
You certainly erased from memory some "incest obsessed" fangirls and their novels... I bet there are fangirls who'd kill to see "forbidden love"... It's so womantic!! :alcoholic:

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » May 20th, '12, 16:17

That's not easy to erase. Especially when incest-crazy kyaagirls worship such things and then vote perfectly good movies as the worst crap they've seen...

No incest, please. I could handle watching that for the Creep's sake, but definitely not for Song. I'll have to block the whole story out and focus on everything else.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 25th, '12, 19:37

kagi88

Subs

Post by kagi88 » May 29th, '12, 09:38

Episode 1 subs are available at DarkSmurfSub.

Rurou

Post by Rurou » May 29th, '12, 10:51

Episode 2 subs are available at dramasoftsubs.blogspot.com

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » May 31st, '12, 10:48

That's a nice site, but I don't want to register for 4shared. Filesharing has gotten mighty annoying ever since Megaupload.

The owner of that place should switch to mediafire. Good idea though. Since Viki is too good for some of us, apparently.

Sakuya

Post by Sakuya » Jun 13th, '12, 07:22

Rurou wrote:Episode 2 subs are available at dramasoftsubs.blogspot.com
Strange, episode 6 subs are out of sync from KOR version. Are those for HANrel or KOR? I used it for KOR before and it was fine... :scratch:

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jun 13th, '12, 09:07

Maybe they changed the version they sync them to now. But if you have the appropriate filters, you can add adjust when they appear. If there are no in-between cf breaks etc.
I use CCCP. When it's just a question of the starting point without any changes in-between, I just adjust the time from the ffdshow options for the subtitles. Or just get HANrel. XD

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 27th, '12, 00:28

I am not watching this Dr.Jin drama mostly because of the actor playing the role but mostly because I saw the original JIN made in Japan. It was fascinating and the idea of time travel got us all involved in a long discussion. At the same time Osawa is a big attraction. He is a well established actor. He is a fine actor. and he just looks very charming. He also did not mind having to look somewhat tattered and torn and very tired in this role. The first JIN ws the best. They did try to do a second drama with the same cast and it was not as good. How could it be. The surprise element was already well worn and the ending was not particularly exciting.
There was definitely no incest at all. Many of us rather hoped that Jin would woo Saki and marry her. She was too independent, and altho she had strong feelings for him, she wanted her own life at the end. That independence carried through the second drama but really it was overkill to repeat that tale I think.

Issy

Post by Issy » Jul 27th, '12, 02:22

Peggy wrote:I am not watching this Dr.Jin drama mostly because of the actor playing the role but mostly because I saw the original JIN made in Japan. It was fascinating and the idea of time travel got us all involved in a long discussion. At the same time Osawa is a big attraction. He is a well established actor. He is a fine actor. and he just looks very charming. He also did not mind having to look somewhat tattered and torn and very tired in this role. The first JIN ws the best. They did try to do a second drama with the same cast and it was not as good. How could it be. The surprise element was already well worn and the ending was not particularly exciting.
There was definitely no incest at all. Many of us rather hoped that Jin would woo Saki and marry her. She was too independent, and altho she had strong feelings for him, she wanted her own life at the end. That independence carried through the second drama but really it was overkill to repeat that tale I think.
Same feelings here. 8) initially I had decided to watch this drama but watching the first two eps totally changed my mind. Reading Ori's weekly tweets also confirms that I'm not missing out a good drama.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 9th, '12, 08:44

This drama finally got to TV here in California.

It just suddenly showed up on the channel so I watched the first episode. Very doubtful I will watch any more. They should have called it Dr.Kim or anything but JIN. They botched the startup of the tme slip and they have totally changed the girlfriend and the Saki character. don't know her name in Korea. It is useless to look at Song and then remember Osawa. Hard for me to do, and I admit I have very large place in my heart for Takao. He is so elegant and he played this role like a man of the street once he was thrown back into old Edo.

The first Japanese JIN was handled like a rare piece of porcelain. All the details were made to appear strange for the time slip and it was done with finesse.Almost quite believable. We had some wonderful dscussion about time travel then. As far as I can see the Korean drama is clumsy right from the start. Maybe it will improve.

nangelique

Post by nangelique » Jan 17th, '13, 04:42

Hi, I just want to ask... If I were to watch both the Korean and Jap version, which one should I watch first?

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jan 22nd, '13, 23:04

Not sure if I am answering this too late for you.....I definitely urge you to watch the Japanese Dr.Jin (first version) since this was the original and best presentation of a story which was hard to believe at first. It was handled rather well and if you search in the discussions you will find so many interesting postings about time slips as well as about the actual drama. This is my personal opinion of course and you may not agree if you also watch the Korean version later on. It is not quite the same story and they should have called it something else.
The elegant geisha was so well presented and the Korean gisaeng was rather bold and not very appealing as far as I could see.

kuma601

Post by kuma601 » Feb 19th, '13, 01:31

+1 on the Japanese version, both parts. The KDrama has a nice story and variance that are interesting to follow out. I'm divided between the two if I were to pick. Maybe a C/TDrama that integrates what both these have done in about 30 episodes. :lol

aesquivel

Re: Time Slip Dr. Jin (MBC,2012)

Post by aesquivel » Apr 22nd, '18, 16:14

:D :D :D :D

ineedsubtitlesplease
Korea South

[Discussion] Timeslip Dr. Jin (2012)

Post by ineedsubtitlesplease » Jul 13th, '23, 03:58

Anyone know where i can watch Dr. Jin 2012?

Title: 타임슬립 닥터 진 / Time Slip Dr. Jin
Genre: Period, medical
Episodes: TBA
Broadcast network: MBC
Broadcast period: 2012-May-26 to TBA
Air time: Saturday & Sunday 21:50

Synopsis
Jin Hyuk is a genius neurosurgeon with a cold and severe attitude in his interactions with other people due to his personal pursuit of perfection. Through a mysterious power, Jin Hyuk finds himself transported back in time 150 years. He begins treating people there, but the lack of necessary implements and rudimentary medical knowledge of the period forces him to seek new ways to aid the sick. Through this challenging process, Jin Hyuk eventually becomes a genuine doctor.

Cast
Song Seung Hun as Jin Hyuk
Kim Jaejoong as Kim Kyung Tak
Lee Bum Soo as Lee Ha Eung
Park Min Young as Yoo Mi Na / Hong Young Rae
Lee So Yeon as Choon Hong
Jin Yi Han as Hong Young Hwi
Kim Eung Soo as Kim Byung Hee
Jung Eun Pyo as Heo Gwang
Kim Myung Soo as Kim Dae Gyun
Lee Won Jong as Joo Pal
Kim Il Woo