RECOMMENDED/FAVORITE KDRAMAS (ask for suggestions here)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Oct 29th, '11, 06:58

CitrusMan wrote:
Thanks, those look interesting, I'll give them a look. :D
You're welcome. I'm just going to ramble a little bit more.

You say you like sappy romances, well I'm usually not a big fan of sappy romances but I make exceptions if I think the girl is really cute, for example Lee Da Hae plays the most hilariously silly and adorable girl I've ever seen in the drama My Girl.

Shin Min Ah is also pretty cute in My Girlfriend is a Fox with Nine Tails. It must be the dimples.

Another drama I just want to throw out there is 49 Days which is really good, it doesn't focus much on the romance but I still highly recommend it. It has fantastic reviews and deserves every bit of it.

Secret Garden is a romantic comedy you've probably already heard of. A typical story of a rich guy who falls for a poor girl which a slight twist - an electrical storm causes them to switch bodies. So it's like typical but unique at the same time.

You've probably already seen most those dramas since they're so popular. One that not many people have seen that I really liked was Robber (which also has Lee Da Hae in it but it's not a comedy). I cried so much while watching Robber. If you have a strong hate for guys you mistreat women then you might be put off from this drama because Jang Hyuk plays the role of a lowlife womanizing con artist to perfection, but if you can get past that you will find that it's actually a very beautiful story about how love can change people. Jang Hyuk and Lee Da Hae are my 2 favorite actors so I don't know if I'm being bias but I'm definitely calling this most underrated drama I've ever seen.

p.s. There's a drama called The Princess' Man that is being regarded by a lot of drama fans as the best drama of 2011. It's probably not normally the type of drama you would watch (it's based in historic times) but I thought I'd put that out there anyway.
Last edited by SpankThatAss on Oct 29th, '11, 11:36, edited 2 times in total.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Oct 29th, '11, 08:00

SpankThatAss wrote: I haven't seen Que Sera Sera but it has reasonably good reviews. It seems like the typical story of a rich player type guy who bumps heads with a poor girl he hates at first then eventually finds himself falling for her.... a story that has been done 100 million times but hey I'm not judging :P
Oh, dear, you have got it wrong. The guy she bumps heads with is not really rich. He wasn't poor, too. Just average guy. True that he was a player. There is a bit more to it than what you said.

I see, you read a lot of reviews, not watch. Image

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Oct 29th, '11, 11:27

Oh ok, sorry for saying he's rich. I guess I shouldn't talk about dramas I haven't seen then.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 29th, '11, 11:41

It wasn't storm that cause body switch in SG but the flower drink. Watch dramas first and then recommend.

As for Que Sera Sera, I agree with Neliets, although its has its ups and downs it's a really great drama, with some flesh and blood characters, and few issues.

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Oct 29th, '11, 11:58

All the dramas I mentioned except for Que Sera Sera I watched. I'll put Que Sera Sera on my "must watch" list then if you guys insist it's really that good, but there's like 20 other dramas on that watchlist, like Kim Sam Soon which I labelled as high priority.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Oct 29th, '11, 17:32

SpankThatAss wrote:All the dramas I mentioned except for Que Sera Sera I watched. I'll put Que Sera Sera on my "must watch" list then if you guys insist it's really that good, but there's like 20 other dramas on that watchlist, like Kim Sam Soon which I labelled as high priority.
I have been in kdrama business for quite a while now, and I can just say this - DO NOT TRUST REVIEWS OR OTHER PEOPLE'S OPINION. Most of the time, it doesn't work on everyone. I ask for recommendations, then check the plot and watch it. As simple as that. I am talking from my own experience. I've had quite a few times, when I wouldn't watch a drama that, as few said, is quite bad. Later, after year or so, I watch it and it turns out to be something I've been looking for! I can give many examples.

Of course, there are dramas that doesn't need reviews or opinions. They are just bad, for example(I'll take recent ones), Mary Me Mary and Playful Kiss. It's just something you can skip and not waste time and nerves.

By the way, anyone got any good drama up in their sleeves? Something between 2006-2008, maybe? It can be suspense, rom-com, drama, romance... anything. Or esle I'll rewatch Que Sera Sera.

constructe

Great Replies

Post by constructe » Oct 29th, '11, 18:02

Thanks for the replies. I was not sure if Bad Guys was good. Anyways, can someone post a torrent refresh of Friend, Our Legacy drama? I wanted to see it.

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Oct 29th, '11, 18:06

SpankThatAss wrote:You've probably already seen most those dramas since they're so popular. One that not many people have seen that I really liked was Robber (which also has Lee Da Hae in it but it's not a comedy). I cried so much while watching Robber. If you have a strong hate for guys you mistreat women then you might be put off from this drama because Jang Hyuk plays the role of a lowlife womanizing con artist to perfection, but if you can get past that you will find that it's actually a very beautiful story about how love can change people. Jang Hyuk and Lee Da Hae are my 2 favorite actors so I don't know if I'm being bias but I'm definitely calling this most underrated drama I've ever seen.
Really? I thought Robbers was awful and tiring to watch. I didn't think Jang Hyuk and Lee Da Hae had much chemistry, either in Robbers or Chuno.

Neliets wrote:By the way, anyone got any good drama up in their sleeves? Something between 2006-2008, maybe? It can be suspense, rom-com, drama, romance... anything. Or esle I'll rewatch Que Sera Sera.
I think I recommended this previously to another poster, but perhaps check out Dalja's Spring? I like it a lot, thought it was pretty smart and funny. It's a 2007 rom-com. I also recommend Story of Hyang Dan - also 2007, it's a two-episode twist on the story of Chun Hyang. Very cute.

Issy

Post by Issy » Oct 29th, '11, 18:18

Neliets wrote: I have been in kdrama business for quite a while now, and I can just say this - DO NOT TRUST REVIEWS OR OTHER PEOPLE'S OPINION. Most of the time, it doesn't work on everyone. I ask for recommendations, then check the plot and watch it. As simple as that. I am talking from my own experience. I've had quite a few times, when I wouldn't watch a drama that, as few said, is quite bad. Later, after year or so, I watch it and it turns out to be something I've been looking for! I can give many examples.

Of course, there are dramas that doesn't need reviews or opinions. They are just bad, for example(I'll take recent ones), Mary Me Mary and Playful Kiss. It's just something you can skip and not waste time and nerves.
Exactly! Recommendation don't work because people likes and dislikes are different. No matter to what extent two people say they have similar tastes. For me, reading synopsis and actors are the main reasons for choosing a drama and even on that basis, sometimes I end up dropping them.
As for reviews for bad dramas like MMM, if you read on some biased threads, you won't read anything but how great it is.

:whistling:

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Oct 29th, '11, 18:42

I agree, it's mostly a matter of personal preference. For example kitty10 said she didn't like Robber while I actually liked it alot. She was right that Jang Hyuk and Lee Da Hae don't have the best chemistry, but I was able to look past that because their individual acting ability is so good. And maybe I also felt like I could relate to Jang Hyuk in the sense that I'm a self tortured **** who can change for the right person.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Oct 29th, '11, 19:17

kitty10 wrote: I think I recommended this previously to another poster, but perhaps check out Dalja's Spring? I like it a lot, thought it was pretty smart and funny. It's a 2007 rom-com. I also recommend Story of Hyang Dan - also 2007, it's a two-episode twist on the story of Chun Hyang. Very cute.
I watched Dal Jas Spring few years ago. And I have rewatched it a few times, too. So this one won't do.

As for Story of Hyang Dan - I don't really like historical dramas. Sorry.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 29th, '11, 19:24

Actually, I'd go as far as saying to not trust the majority either. Everyone hates Playful Kiss and I liked it. Maybe because of my attachment to the anime, but I liked it.

Ask around, ask many, but above all, just pick a plot, crew and cats that you feel you will like. No one else can possibly tap into your personal taste for you.

Edit:

Ask around, ask many, but above all, just pick a plot, crew and cats that you feel you will like.

Not the "cating" again... Cast, damn it. CAST!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 29th, '11, 19:31

I hate you, Ori. I'm just letting everyone know here, that Orion is one lovely lady sent from Hell to torment innocent souls like myself.

And yes, as Issy said, it's all about personal taste, I can't stand LDH but forced myself to watch 2 dramas with her (I dropped My Girl, because of her and Lee ADHD Junki) and I judge them as good. But someone may find them boring. Do I really need to like the drama that everyone likes? No. Do I give a flying rat about what others think of drama I love? Yeah, right.
So yes, some people read reviews and base their own judgement about the drama before watching it, some can't take off the "review beforehand" glasses while watching drama, and some have enough of brain of their own to watch drama, read reviews but think what they think.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Oct 29th, '11, 19:54

Ethlenn wrote:Do I give a flying rat about what others think of drama I love?
Bwhahahahahhaa, just couldn't not post this :DD You made me laugh so hard :D :D :D Image

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Oct 29th, '11, 20:20

Ethlenn wrote:I hate you, Ori. I'm just letting everyone know here, that Orion is one lovely lady sent from Hell to torment innocent souls like myself.

And yes, as Issy said, it's all about personal taste, I can't stand LDH but forced myself to watch 2 dramas with her (I dropped My Girl, because of her and Lee ADHD Junki) and I judge them as good. But someone may find them boring. Do I really need to like the drama that everyone likes? No. Do I give a flying rat about what others think of drama I love? Yeah, right.
So yes, some people read reviews and base their own judgement about the drama before watching it, some can't take off the "review beforehand" glasses while watching drama, and some have enough of brain of their own to watch drama, read reviews but think what they think.
wait what, how can u not appreciate LDH's acting ability. Who do u like then?

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Oct 29th, '11, 20:34

SpankThatAss wrote:
Ethlenn wrote:I hate you, Ori. I'm just letting everyone know here, that Orion is one lovely lady sent from Hell to torment innocent souls like myself.

wait what, how can u not appreciate LDH's acting ability. Who do u like then?
As far as I know, then Ethlenn doesn't appreciate LDH generally. Looks, voice etc, and she isn't saying that her acting is bad.

EDIT:
Oh, I did get this one wrong. Turns out that LDH has pissed off Ethlenn quite a lot. Seems like there will be a war between LDH and Ethlenn. :mrgreen:

EDIT2:
Who hates KNG? He is... awesome? Ahh, reminds me of Bad Guy... damn... Loved the drama. And, of course, KNG. I usually have man-crush on muscular(as in manly) characters.
Last edited by Neliets on Oct 29th, '11, 20:40, edited 2 times in total.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 29th, '11, 20:34

I can't appreciate the plastic doll, sorry for hurting your feelings. I don't appreciate her, and no, Neliets, I do think she acts wooden for the most part. But still, it's my own personal feelings. Now you can all hate on KNG^^

Actresses? Oh, I don't know, Kim Hyesu, Im Soo Jung, Kim Hyeja, Son Ye Jin, Kim Haneul, Bae Duna, Yoon Eunhye, Kim Sunah. Park Min-yeong acts better even.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 29th, '11, 20:59

Ethlenn wrote:Do I give a flying rat about what others think of drama I love?
What an excellent combination of "flying fu**" and "rat's a**" that you have there. Also, I pictured a cute rat flying and my "awww" meter went off the scale.

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Oct 30th, '11, 00:36

Ethlenn wrote:I can't appreciate the plastic doll, sorry for hurting your feelings. I don't appreciate her, and no, Neliets, I do think she acts wooden for the most part. But still, it's my own personal feelings. Now you can all hate on KNG^^

Actresses? Oh, I don't know, Kim Hyesu, Im Soo Jung, Kim Hyeja, Son Ye Jin, Kim Haneul, Bae Duna, Yoon Eunhye, Kim Sunah. Park Min-yeong acts better even.
Wow you hate on Kim Nam Gil too? Have you seen Queen Seon Duk? You judge actors more on their looks rather than their acting ability right?

I don't know how people like Eunhye so much. She practically plays her character the same way in every drama redundantly sighing like "ohh" "ahhh" "OHHH" "Aishhh" "AHHHHH"

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Oct 30th, '11, 03:18

SpankThatAss wrote:Wow you hate on Kim Nam Gil too? Have you seen Queen Seon Duk? You judge actors more on their looks rather than their acting ability right?

I don't know how people like Eunhye so much. She practically plays her character the same way in every drama redundantly sighing like "ohh" "ahhh" "OHHH" "Aishhh" "AHHHHH"
Ethienn's banner is of Kim Nam Gil, I doubt she hates him. So maybe you need to re-read her post carefully.

Neliets, how about Alone in Love or Mixed-up Investigative Agency? Or perhaps you can list the dramas you've already watched from that time period so that we don't recommend those.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Oct 30th, '11, 06:25

kitty10 wrote:
SpankThatAss wrote:Wow you hate on Kim Nam Gil too? Have you seen Queen Seon Duk? You judge actors more on their looks rather than their acting ability right?

Ethienn's banner is of Kim Nam Gil, I doubt she hates him. So maybe you need to re-read her post carefully.

Neliets, how about Alone in Love or Mixed-up Investigative Agency? Or perhaps you can list the dramas you've already watched from that time period so that we don't recommend those.
I've watched Alone In Love already. That Mixed-up Investigative Agency sounds like very interesting drama, but this time I want something with some kind of love story in it, too.

Ok, here is a list(not full list, I can't remember every drama I have seen) of 2006-2008.
My Girl, I am SAM, Goong, The Devil, Resurrection, That Fool, Coffee Prince, Witch Amusement, Dr. Kkaeng, Save The Last Dance, Dal Jas Spring, The Vineyard Man, Last Scandal, One Fine Day, Soulmate, The City Hall, Still, Mary Me,
My Lovely Sam-Soon, Sorry, I love you, A Love To Kill, Hello! Miss, Que Sera Sera, Lovers, Stranger Than Heaven, The Snow Queen, Cain And Abel, Time Between A Dog and A Wolf, Alone In Love, Fantasy Couple, Capital Scandal, Snow White.
I'm more than certain that these aren't all, but my memory is very, very limited. And there might be some dramas out of the time gap, because I'm bad with years.

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Oct 30th, '11, 08:14

Neliets wrote:I've watched Alone In Love already. That Mixed-up Investigative Agency sounds like very interesting drama, but this time I want something with some kind of love story in it, too.

Ok, here is a list(not full list, I can't remember every drama I have seen) of 2006-2008.
My Girl, I am SAM, Goong, The Devil, Resurrection, That Fool, Coffee Prince, Witch Amusement, Dr. Kkaeng, Save The Last Dance, Dal Jas Spring, The Vineyard Man, Last Scandal, One Fine Day, Soulmate, The City Hall, Still, Mary Me,
My Lovely Sam-Soon, Sorry, I love you, A Love To Kill, Hello! Miss, Que Sera Sera, Lovers, Stranger Than Heaven, The Snow Queen, Cain And Abel, Time Between A Dog and A Wolf, Alone In Love, Fantasy Couple, Capital Scandal, Snow White.
I'm more than certain that these aren't all, but my memory is very, very limited. And there might be some dramas out of the time gap, because I'm bad with years.
Quite a list you've got. Hopefully the ones below will suit your criteria:

2006:
Goodbye Solo: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Goodbye_Solo
What's Up Fox: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/What's_Up_Fox%3F (copy whole url)
Outrageous Women: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Outrageous_Women
What Star Did You Come From: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/What_Star_Did_You_Come_From

2007:
9 Ends 2 Outs: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/9_End_2_Outs
Surgeon Bong Dal Hee: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Surgeon_Bong_Dal_Hee
Golden Bride: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Golden_Bride
Thank You: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Thank_You

2008:
I Love You: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/I_Love_You
Love Marriage: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Love_Marriage
La Dolce Vita: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Bittersweet_Life
Who Are You: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Who_Are_You%3F

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Oct 30th, '11, 08:34

kitty10 wrote:
Neliets wrote:I've watched Alone In Love already. That Mixed-up Investigative Agency sounds like very interesting drama, but this time I want something with some kind of love story in it, too.

Quite a list you've got. Hopefully the ones below will suit your criteria:

2006:
Goodbye Solo: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Goodbye_Solo
What's Up Fox: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/What's_Up_Fox%3F (copy whole url)
Outrageous Women: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Outrageous_Women
What Star Did You Come From: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/What_Star_Did_You_Come_From

2007:
9 Ends 2 Outs: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/9_End_2_Outs
Surgeon Bong Dal Hee: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Surgeon_Bong_Dal_Hee
Golden Bride: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Golden_Bride
Thank You: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Thank_You

2008:
I Love You: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/I_Love_You
Love Marriage: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Love_Marriage
La Dolce Vita: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Bittersweet_Life
Who Are You: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Who_Are_You%3F
I have seen or dropped everyone of them except for Golden Bride(not a fan of many episode dramas) and Outrageous Women. Outrageous Women seems interesting, I'll go with it. Thanks.

Skobb

Post by Skobb » Oct 30th, '11, 11:23

Dramas like Giant or East of Eden?
I love these types of dramas, but I'm finding it hard to find more that are similiar :(

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 30th, '11, 11:38

I was just checking Mixed-up Investigative Agency last night. After the Chilling Romance promotional stuff that's been out, I get a sense of familiarity when I see Lee Min Ki's name. Might give it a go, cause it sounds interesting.

I wonder if I should sit down sometimes and make a list of all the kdrama I've watched as well. Not as many as you guys, since I've only been watching since December 09, but still. Could be useful someday.

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Oct 30th, '11, 11:40

Oh I didn't understand her tone when she said we can all hate on KNG. Now I see she's saying WE can hate on him but she doesn't. Well I don't know if anyone here actually hates him, but I for one actually think very highly of KNG, I absolutely loved his character Bidam in Queen Seon Duk, although he's very good in Bad Guy too.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 30th, '11, 11:46

And I absolutely hated Bidam.
Those who are into this business long enough know why.

Irony stops being irony when it's not read as one.

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Oct 30th, '11, 12:06

Ethlenn wrote:And I absolutely hated Bidam.
Those who are into this business long enough know why.

I don't think it's about how long you've been in the business. It's about individual perspective and interpretation. To me he was a clueless lost soul maundering in darkness with abandonment issues hiding behind an immature carefree attitude and the most random heartless smiles, and it was cool seeing him mature as he found comfort in the Queen's acknowledgement which is pretty much all he ever wanted... to be acknowledged by the one he cared about. How did you see it?

Btw the link you showed seemed to speak highly of Bidam too. It said
He rescued this drama from falling into low ratings. Bidam is one of the most complicated characters I have ever witnessed. Any less talented actor could screw this role up.
And I totally agree with that, I thought the drama was getting a little boring until he showed up. The criticisms were directed at the screen writer's lack of care for the character Bidam, not for the actor KNG himself.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Oct 30th, '11, 17:15

One thing doesn't make a drama very good or very bad.
Indeed. Image
I don't think it's about how long you've been in the business
To be honest, it's exactly about how long you've been in the business, how much you have witnessed and seen. In one word - experienced. Opinions may vary but the more experience you've had, the better you can jugde the drama. Same goes for Kpop, too. Image

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Oct 30th, '11, 18:31

Neliets wrote:
I don't think it's about how long you've been in the business
To be honest, it's exactly about how long you've been in the business, how much you have witnessed and seen. In one word - experienced. Opinions may vary but the more experience you've had, the better you can jugde the drama. Same goes for Kpop, too. Image
Well my opinion of Kim Nam Gil's portrayal of Bidam seems to coincide with the opinion experienced drama analysts/reviewers anyway (for example the one in the link Ethlenn kindly posted for me) so it doesn't matter.
Last edited by SpankThatAss on Oct 31st, '11, 15:39, edited 2 times in total.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 31st, '11, 15:28

"Experienced drama analysts"... I really hate it when people call others "experts" on things that are PURELY subjective as ART is.
Having watched drama for 15 years does not make you more of an "expert" than someone who has watched them for only five.

You know why? Because personal taste and what the individual considers good quality and work are all that matter in art.
Also, even if you haven't been an "experienced" critic in series and characters, it only takes a brain to tell quality from crap.

So please, don't use "experts" to try and make your opinions seem more important and correct than those of other users. It's embarrassing. For you.

Admit that we all have different opinions and stop showing you are embarrassed of yours by trying to "prove" them with such comments. Respect is what moves a healthy forum. Respect for others and their opinions, even if you disagree with them.
Last edited by Orion1986 on Oct 31st, '11, 15:30, edited 1 time in total.

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Oct 31st, '11, 15:29

Orion1986 wrote:"Experienced drama analysts"... I really hate it when people call others "experts" on things that are PURELY subjective as ART is.
Having watched drama for 15 years does not make you more of an "expert" than someone who has watched them for only five.

You know why? Because personal taste and what the individual considers good quality and work are all that matter in art.
Also, even if you haven't been an "experienced" critic in series and characters, it only takes a brain to tell quality from crap.

So please, don't use "experts" to try and make your opinions seem more important and correct than those of other users. It's embarrassing. For you.
I agree, that's exactly what I was saying earlier.
SpankThatAss wrote:
I don't think it's about how long you've been in the business. It's about individual perspective and interpretation.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 31st, '11, 15:31

That was for you, STA. Because you used the "expert" example to make your opinion somehow feel more educated. It's not.

I disagree with Neliets as well, but you're no saint in this. So, let's just stop trying to "prove" that someone is more qualified than others to say a character or series is good or bad.

Such self-righteousness and self-importance is giving me a headache. And I think DA is a better place than that. For free expression and respect, not bigots who want to prove superiority.
Last edited by Orion1986 on Oct 31st, '11, 15:35, edited 2 times in total.

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Oct 31st, '11, 15:32

Orion1986 wrote:That was for you, SDA. Because you used the "expert" example to make your opinion somehow feel more educated. It's not.
Who's SDA?

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 31st, '11, 15:34

STA. You. I thought you used "Dat".

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Oct 31st, '11, 15:38

Orion1986 wrote:STA. You. I thought you used "Dat".
Oh well you seemed to have only read my one post and got the wrong impression of me.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 31st, '11, 15:40

I read your previous posts too. But by saying "many experts agree with me too" to counter what Neliets said, you are also falling into the mindset of "I have proof", like he is.

Frankly, you guys are arguing about an imaginary character and who has more right or a better judgement about him. The answer is, neither and both.
And none of those two answers are "wrong" or "right", neither should they go by standards of "experts" in either case. No "proving" can be done for either side.

Also, the link of the "expert" is Ethlenn herself. And what she probably meant by "long in the business" was a metaphor for "for those who know me". Did you miss the big KNG picture in her blog and the link which said Ethlenn?

Really guys, you have gotten your panties in a major twist here and as much as I like the literal idea of that, this one is just a big mess. But meh, I'm tired and b*tchy today.
Some like Bidam, some don't. Some like KNG and some won't. And none of these people would be more qualified than the other to have a "correct" answer. Untwist them panties!
Last edited by Orion1986 on Oct 31st, '11, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Oct 31st, '11, 15:45

Orion1986 wrote:I read your previous posts too. But by saying "many experts agree with me too" to counter what Neliets said, you are also falling into the mindset of "I have proof", like he is.

Frankly, you guys are arguing about an imaginary character and who has more right or a better judgement about him. The answer is, neither and both.
And none of those two answers are "wrong" or "right", neither should they go by standards of "experts" in either case.
You really should be directing your post at Neliets who said
To be honest, it's exactly about how long you've been in the business, how much you have witnessed and seen. In one word - experienced. Opinions may vary but the more experience you've had, the better you can jugde the drama. Same goes for Kpop, too.
And Ethlenn is the one who posted the "expert analysis" which he thought would make my opinion invalid, while all I did was point out that his link/"expert analysis" doesn't do what he thinks it does.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 31st, '11, 15:47

That is HER expert analysis. She posted it to state HER opinion on why she dislikes the character and "in the business long enough" meant "for those who know me long enough".

But it seems both you and Neliets completely missed that...

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Oct 31st, '11, 15:50

Orion1986 wrote:That is HER expert analysis. She posted it to state HER opinion on why she dislikes the character and "in the business long enough" meant "for those who know me long enough".

But it seems both you and Neliets completely missed that...
I was under the impression that HER expert analysis was to state HER opinion on why she dislikes the actor, not the character. So all I did was point out that HER expert analysis actually disagrees with HER opinion, not mine.

But if she was talking about the character, not the actor, then my mistake. Either way, I think maybe YOU should calm down -_-

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 31st, '11, 17:16

People, (damn, I love D-A), calm down. You are insulting all "experts" by linking this noun to my nickname, seriously (or is it the other way round?).

Since I have some time, I'll clarify:
1. when I said "you may all hate on KNG"... see, usually people's retort works like that - "you don't like whom I like? I don't like whom you like". This happened to me on s***pi - I wrote few personal opinions there and some of the funniest replies were: "and you think that ugly guy in your ava is more talented than The Table?", "you don't know a sh*t about actors in Korea!". So, by my saying that I just gave way. I know no one hates KNG, that was a joke (those who did died by my very hand).
2. I hate Bidam. I really do. I may feel compassion towards him (because of the actor's portrayal of that character), and I may say he's the best character in the drama, but "good" here doesn't mean "lovely kawaii unicorn" but - complex, multifacets character. Good because he was portrayed well. I described the complexity of Bidam in that analysis, I guess, so i don't want to bore everyone. But one more time - I like how he was portrayed, but in overall - I hate the scheming, dark person that he was.
3. When I said I dislike KNG? The fact I hate the character he plays doesn't mean I hate the actual actor. The same with "The Chaser", the movie. I HATE Ha Jung-wu's character in that movie, although I adore the actor himself to pieces. It works like that. We separate actors from the character they play, no?

And no, my opinion never disagrees with my analysis. They are friends. They share the same plushie.

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Oct 31st, '11, 17:26

Ethlenn wrote: 1. when I said "you may all hate on KNG"... see, usually people's retort works like that - "you don't like whom I like? I don't like whom you like". This happened to me on s***pi - I wrote few personal opinions there and some of the funniest replies were: "and you think that ugly guy in your ava is more talented than The Table?", "you don't know a sh*t about actors in Korea!". So, by my saying that I just gave way. I know no one hates KNG, that was a joke (those who did died by my very hand).
What?

ng0cnguy3n

Post by ng0cnguy3n » Nov 5th, '11, 04:41

Skobb wrote:Dramas like Giant or East of Eden?
I love these types of dramas, but I'm finding it hard to find more that are similiar :(
Gah, I know there's another drama I watched that was similar to both of those in a way but I can't figure out the name of it right now. -___- Maybe it was the "The Princess Man", which actually is really quite similar now that I think about it...It was a good drama so I recommend it. ^^

I can't find the person who recommended I watch Chuno but thanks. It was no Jumong but definitely an enjoyable watch. I'm in search of a new drama to watch now so can someone hit me up with some suggestions?

Here's a list of the dramas I've watched and rated to give an idea of what kind of dramas I enjoy and don't. Warning: It's very long...I'm a drama addict. xD
1. Jumong ♥♥♥♥♥ + ♥
2. High Kick Through the Roof ♥♥♥♥♥
3. Shining Inheritance ♥♥♥♥♥
4. Princess Hours ♥♥♥♥♥
5. Coffee Prince ♥♥♥♥♥
6. Full House ♥♥♥♥♥
7. My Name is Kim Sam Soon ♥♥♥♥♥
8. Delightful Girl Choon-Hyang ♥♥♥♥♥
9. 49 Days ♥♥♥♥♥
10. My Princess ♥♥♥♥♥
11. Dream High ♥♥♥♥♥
12. Hong Gil Dong ♥♥♥♥♥
13. My Girl ♥♥♥♥♥
14. The Princess' Man ♥♥♥♥♥
15. Chuno ♥♥♥♥♥
16. City Hunter ♥♥♥♥
17. Sungkyunkwan Scandal ♥♥♥♥
18. You're Beautiful ♥♥♥♥
19. Secret Garden ♥♥♥♥
20. Protect the Boss ♥♥♥♥
21. Lie To Me ♥♥♥♥
22. Athena ♥♥♥♥
23. Iljimae ♥♥♥♥
24. Scents of a Woman ♥♥♥♥
25. God of Study ♥♥♥♥
26. Atashinchi no Danshi ♥♥♥♥
27. King of Baking, Kim Tak Goo ♥♥♥♥
28. Giant ♥♥♥♥
29. East Of Eden ♥♥♥♥
30. Soulmate ♥♥♥♥
31. Ouran High School Host Club ♥♥♥♥
32. Liar Game ♥♥♥♥
33. Liar Game 2 ♥♥♥♥
34. Miss Ripley ♥♥♥♥
35. New Tails of a Gisaeng ♥♥♥♥
36. Stars Falling From the Sky ♥♥♥♥
37. Boys Over Flowers ♥♥♥♥
38. Iris ♥♥♥♥
39. Dong Yi ♥♥♥♥
40. Midas ♥♥♥
41. Paradise Ranch ♥♥♥
42. My Girlfriend is a Nine-Tailed Fox ♥♥♥
43. Prosecutor Princess ♥♥♥
44. Smile, You ♥♥♥
45. City Hall ♥♥♥
46. Triple ♥♥♥
47. Fugitive: Plan B ♥♥♥
48. Mary Stayed Out All Night ♥♥♥
49. It Started With A Kiss ♥♥♥
50. We Kissed Again (ISWAK 2) ♥♥♥
51. Three Dads One Mom ♥♥♥
52. Cinderella Man ♥♥♥
53. Bad Guy ♥♥♥
54. A Man Called God ♥♥♥
55. Cinderella's Sister ♥♥♥
56. Will It Snow For Christmas? ♥♥♥
57. Daemul ♥♥♥
58. Wonderful Life ♥♥♥
59. Personal Taste ♥♥♥
60. Hana Kimi ♥♥♥
61. Nodame Cantabile ♥♥♥
62. Bull Fighting ♥♥♥
63. Birth of the Rich ♥♥♥
64. Shiroi Haru ♥♥♥
65. Take Care of the Young Lady ♥♥
66. The World That They Live In ♥♥
67. Coffee House ♥♥
68. Myung Wol the Spy ♥♥
69. Creating Destiny ♥♥
70. Oh! My Lady ♥♥
71. The Woman Who Still Wants To Marry ♥♥
72. Hotaru no Hikari ♥♥
73. Hotaru no Hikari 2 ♥♥
74. Devil Beside You ♥♥
75. Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge ♥♥
76. Kimi wa Petto ♥♥
77. Fated To Love You ♥♥
78. Hidarime Tantei EYE ♥♥
79. 1% of Anything ♥
80. Only You ♥
Thanks!

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Nov 5th, '11, 14:14

ng0cnguy3n wrote:
Skobb wrote:Dramas like Giant or East of Eden?
Gah, I know there's another drama I watched that was similar to both of those in a way but I can't figure out the name of it right now. -___- Maybe it was the "The Princess Man", which actually is really quite similar now that I think about it...It was a good drama so I recommend it. ^^

I can't find the person who recommended I watch Chuno but thanks. It was no Jumong but definitely an enjoyable watch. I'm in search of a new drama to watch now so can someone hit me up with some suggestions?

Here's a list of the dramas I've watched and rated to give an idea of what kind of dramas I enjoy and don't. Warning: It's very long...I'm a drama addict. xD
1. Jumong ♥♥♥♥♥ + ♥
2. High Kick Through the Roof ♥♥♥♥♥
3. Shining Inheritance ♥♥♥♥♥
4. Princess Hours ♥♥♥♥♥
5. Coffee Prince ♥♥♥♥♥
6. Full House ♥♥♥♥♥
7. My Name is Kim Sam Soon ♥♥♥♥♥
8. Delightful Girl Choon-Hyang ♥♥♥♥♥
9. 49 Days ♥♥♥♥♥
10. My Princess ♥♥♥♥♥
11. Dream High ♥♥♥♥♥
12. Hong Gil Dong ♥♥♥♥♥
13. My Girl ♥♥♥♥♥
14. The Princess' Man ♥♥♥♥♥
15. Chuno ♥♥♥♥♥
16. City Hunter ♥♥♥♥
17. Sungkyunkwan Scandal ♥♥♥♥
18. You're Beautiful ♥♥♥♥
19. Secret Garden ♥♥♥♥
20. Protect the Boss ♥♥♥♥
21. Lie To Me ♥♥♥♥
22. Athena ♥♥♥♥
23. Iljimae ♥♥♥♥
24. Scents of a Woman ♥♥♥♥
25. God of Study ♥♥♥♥
26. Atashinchi no Danshi ♥♥♥♥
27. King of Baking, Kim Tak Goo ♥♥♥♥
28. Giant ♥♥♥♥
29. East Of Eden ♥♥♥♥
30. Soulmate ♥♥♥♥
31. Ouran High School Host Club ♥♥♥♥
32. Liar Game ♥♥♥♥
33. Liar Game 2 ♥♥♥♥
34. Miss Ripley ♥♥♥♥
35. New Tails of a Gisaeng ♥♥♥♥
36. Stars Falling From the Sky ♥♥♥♥
37. Boys Over Flowers ♥♥♥♥
38. Iris ♥♥♥♥
39. Dong Yi ♥♥♥♥
40. Midas ♥♥♥
41. Paradise Ranch ♥♥♥
42. My Girlfriend is a Nine-Tailed Fox ♥♥♥
43. Prosecutor Princess ♥♥♥
44. Smile, You ♥♥♥
45. City Hall ♥♥♥
46. Triple ♥♥♥
47. Fugitive: Plan B ♥♥♥
48. Mary Stayed Out All Night ♥♥♥
49. It Started With A Kiss ♥♥♥
50. We Kissed Again (ISWAK 2) ♥♥♥
51. Three Dads One Mom ♥♥♥
52. Cinderella Man ♥♥♥
53. Bad Guy ♥♥♥
54. A Man Called God ♥♥♥
55. Cinderella's Sister ♥♥♥
56. Will It Snow For Christmas? ♥♥♥
57. Daemul ♥♥♥
58. Wonderful Life ♥♥♥
59. Personal Taste ♥♥♥
60. Hana Kimi ♥♥♥
61. Nodame Cantabile ♥♥♥
62. Bull Fighting ♥♥♥
63. Birth of the Rich ♥♥♥
64. Shiroi Haru ♥♥♥
65. Take Care of the Young Lady ♥♥
66. The World That They Live In ♥♥
67. Coffee House ♥♥
68. Myung Wol the Spy ♥♥
69. Creating Destiny ♥♥
70. Oh! My Lady ♥♥
71. The Woman Who Still Wants To Marry ♥♥
72. Hotaru no Hikari ♥♥
73. Hotaru no Hikari 2 ♥♥
74. Devil Beside You ♥♥
75. Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge ♥♥
76. Kimi wa Petto ♥♥
77. Fated To Love You ♥♥
78. Hidarime Tantei EYE ♥♥
79. 1% of Anything ♥
80. Only You ♥
Thanks!
I loved Jumong and Chuno too! I recommend Queen Seon Duk!!! (Kim Nam Gil is superb in this! Although you might frown upon the darkness of his character, but I personally like dark and complex characters)

Also check out The Kingdom of the Winds (it's the era of Jumong's son, Yuri) which isn't as good as Jumong but still very good.

Warrior Baek Dong Soo (I wanted to give this drama a 5 out of 5 rating after watching half way, but it slows down towards the end so I gave it 4 out of 5 which is still good obviously)

Emperor of the Sea (which I only just started watching 7 episodes ago but it looks good)

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Nov 5th, '11, 14:43

ng0cnguy3n, you seem to watch all kinds of dramas, so I'll just give you few that are quite good. And all these I liked.

The Devil, Bad Guy, The Man Who Can't Get Married, Que Sera Sera, A Love To Kill, Sorry I Love You, Resurrection.

Pick one. The only rom-com here is The Man Who Can't Get Married, but don't be discouraged, they all are very good dramas.

Orion, I wasn't giving my opinion about the issue, I was just stating a fact, it's not something that could be shaken by anyone. You can say that I am self-righteous, self-centered, intolerant etc and I will have to agree with you, but I know that I am right. And times when I am not right, I give in.

To tell if you liked or didn't like the drama, you can tell even from first drama, but if it's good or not - dream on. Good and like aren't the same.

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Nov 5th, '11, 16:34

And and how could I forget. DEEP ROOTED TREE! It's got the same writer as Queen Seon Duk (and the same underrated director of Painter of the Wind) and stars Jang Hyuk, so far only 10 episodes are out but this is an amazing drama! Imho it's already looking like the best drama of 2011 so definitely check it out!

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Nov 6th, '11, 20:13

Save me, give me some suggestions. I started a jdrama(Ohitorisama), it's good but... I am a kdrama freak. Japanese guys don't seem as good, girls aren't as pretty, language is not as beautiful etc. If this drama had a Korean version, I think I'd totally love it. I will finish the drama anyways, it's good enough to watch.

So save me and give me some decent recommendations. Criteria :
1)No historical dramas
2) no 30+ episode dramas
3) Romance/drama(the sad ones)
4) But no love stories with ill people(like eternal illness, cancer or smth)

Basically, something like A Love To Kill, Sorry, I Love You, Que Sera Sera, Resurrection etc.

Issy

Post by Issy » Nov 6th, '11, 20:54

Neliets wrote:Save me, give me some suggestions. I started a jdrama(Ohitorisama), it's good but... I am a kdrama freak. Japanese guys don't seem as good, girls aren't as pretty, language is not as beautiful etc. If this drama had a Korean version, I think I'd totally love it. I will finish the drama anyways, it's good enough to watch.
seriously, if this how you feel about Jdramas, then maybe you should stick to Kdramas. Because even if it's a really good drama, you won't enjoy it at all if you keep comparing them like this. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Issy on Nov 6th, '11, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Nov 6th, '11, 21:29

@ng0cnguy3n - I too would recommend
A love to kill
Ja Myung Go
All JGS dramas :D

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Nov 7th, '11, 16:38

Issy wrote:
Neliets wrote:Save me, give me some suggestions. I started a jdrama(Ohitorisama), it's good but... I am a kdrama freak. Japanese guys don't seem as good, girls aren't as pretty, language is not as beautiful etc. If this drama had a Korean version, I think I'd totally love it. I will finish the drama anyways, it's good enough to watch.
seriously, if this how you feel about Jdramas, then maybe you should stick to Kdramas. Because even if it's a really good drama, you won't enjoy it at all if you keep comparing them like this. :mrgreen:
Not completely true. There are few jdramas that I loved. Proposal Daisakusen, Stand up!, Hana Yori Dango. These are just those on top of my head.
So save me and give me some decent recommendations. Criteria :
1)No historical dramas
2) no 30+ episode dramas
3) Romance/drama(the sad ones)
4) But no love stories with ill people(like eternal illness, cancer or smth)

Basically, something like A Love To Kill, Sorry, I Love You, Que Sera Sera, Resurrection etc.
Come on, give me something!

Issy

Post by Issy » Nov 7th, '11, 17:24

iluvasiandrama wrote:All JGS dramas :D
Except Marry Me Mary and any future drama because it won't be anything but self promotion :whistling:

@Neliets
I see :P I come from Jdrama freak background so I find the language like music to my ears. I had hard time getting used to how Korean sounds but now I am totally fine with it. kind of liking it too. 8)
oh, and they do have hot looking guys. :wub:

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Nov 7th, '11, 19:29

You've probably seen most of the ones I've seen that fit your criteria and are good enough for me to recommend, and most of them only have a little bit of "sad romance" in it.

Baker Kim Tak Gu, Midas, City Hunter, Iris, 49 days, 1st coffee prince, and Bad Guy.

Maou aka The Devil is Japanese but it's not your typical J-drama so I recommend you check that out.

Mars is Taiwanese and the acting is questionable, but it's an unique drama that touches on some sensitive subjects (eg. rape and the effect it can cause on a person, and a mother with low self-esteem staying in a relationship she should end) that can invoke anger and sadness in the viewer so I'll put this one out there for you to consider too.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Nov 7th, '11, 20:12

SpankThatAss wrote: Maou aka The Devil is Japanese but it's not your typical J-drama so I recommend you check that out.
"This drama is a remake of the popular suspense drama The Devil that was aired in Korea last year" And I have seen The Devil(korean).

Anyhow, I'll check out Midas, I hope there is some romance in it, too. Not only business.

Thanks.

oh, and I am downloading Green Rose again. I watched half a episode and dropped it some time ago, I'll try to watch it any time soon.

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Nov 7th, '11, 22:59

I'm actually about to start Green Rose too, I've got a good feeling I'm going to like it.

The romance in Midas is more of a background/side story kind of thing, there's not much of it but it's there. And even though there's a lot of business/politics in Midas I still liked it alot, about 4 episodes in it will get very intense and interesting.

zzyzx

Post by zzyzx » Nov 8th, '11, 05:03

Hello. I'm fairly new to k-dramas. My family is really into it, but I have seen about 20 or so. The first one that I was "forced" to watch was Winter Sonata and the second one was Green Rose. I thought that both of these dramas were really good, but it wasn't until I saw My Girl that I knew how great and addictive these dramas can be. Some may think that My Girl was overrated, and maybe so, but I could not stop watching it. Since those 3 I have seen many more dramas that I have truly enjoyed.

My top 3 are My Girl, You're Beautiful and SKKS.

I also liked, Coffee Prince, Secret Garden, Baker King, Greatest Love, City Hunter and City Hall.

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Nov 8th, '11, 09:49

zzyzx wrote:Hello. I'm fairly new to k-dramas. My family is really into it, but I have seen about 20 or so. The first one that I was "forced" to watch was Winter Sonata and the second one was Green Rose. I thought that both of these dramas were really good, but it wasn't until I saw My Girl that I knew how great and addictive these dramas can be. Some may think that My Girl was overrated, and maybe so, but I could not stop watching it. Since those 3 I have seen many more dramas that I have truly enjoyed.

I also liked, Coffee Prince, Secret Garden, Baker King, Greatest Love, City Hunter and City Hall.
My Girl is the drama that got me into K-Drama too, I love Lee Da Hae.

'My Girlfriend is a Gumiho' is another "overrated" drama that is made very watchable because of the main actress (she's not as talented of an actress as Lee Da Hae but she's very cute).

49 Days is very good.

Since you liked SKKS I think you will like The Princess' Man aswell.

The main actress of Secret Garden is a historical drama called Damo which is also very good.

Lee Da Hae plays a more conservative role in Chuno which is also one of my favorites.

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Nov 8th, '11, 17:02

I have been thinking about watching Sandglass since I started watching K dramas in January but I keep putting it off for something that wasn't made the year I turned 10, but well I hear it has some of the best ratings ever in Korean tv history, so guess my question is is it really that good that I'm missing the best thing ever by not watching it, or is it just overrated and I'm not missing anything?

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Nov 8th, '11, 18:22

Sajen16 wrote:I have been thinking about watching Sandglass since I started watching K dramas in January but I keep putting it off for something that wasn't made the year I turned 10, but well I hear it has some of the best ratings ever in Korean tv history, so guess my question is is it really that good that I'm missing the best thing ever by not watching it, or is it just overrated and I'm not missing anything?
The one made in 1995 starring Yun Hye Rin? I haven't seen it but it's not longer considered a "must-watch" drama. A big reason for it's high ratings was because of it's political relevance in regard to a sensitive subject that was still considered taboo during the airing of the show. This subject I speak of was the 1980 Gwangju Democratization Movement, an event during which the head of the military had taken over South Korea after the assassination of the President, and he killed hundred of civilians while fighting the rebellion. This show actually influenced the prosecution of the culprit.

p.s. There is actually real footage used in this drama.

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Nov 8th, '11, 21:12

zzyzx wrote:Hello. I'm fairly new to k-dramas. My family is really into it, but I have seen about 20 or so. The first one that I was "forced" to watch was Winter Sonata and the second one was Green Rose. I thought that both of these dramas were really good, but it wasn't until I saw My Girl that I knew how great and addictive these dramas can be. Some may think that My Girl was overrated, and maybe so, but I could not stop watching it. Since those 3 I have seen many more dramas that I have truly enjoyed.

Here are a few I would recommend
Marry Me Mary! -- JGS :wub:
Oh! My Lady
Myung Wol the Spy
Boys Before/Over Flowers
Iljimae -- LJK :wub:
Full House
A Love to kill

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Nov 9th, '11, 13:50

zzyzx wrote:Hello. I'm fairly new to k-dramas.
Hey I just noticed that your avatar is Jang Hyuk, he's my favorite actor! He's in a ton of very good dramas. Check these out:

Thank You (beautiful well written drama, funny, heartbreaking and romantic)
Midas (alot of business/politics but still very good)
Deep Rooted Tree (which I'm assuming you're already watching because of your avatar)
Chuno (His best performance)
Robber (This has Lee Da Hae too, really underrated if you can appreciate a little darkness. It's about how love can change people)
Cheerful Girl's Success Story (this one is cliche but cute if you don't mind cliche)
Please Teach Me English (silly funny)
Windstruck (classic movie you have to see if you haven't seen already)
Tazza/Wall of Flower (Epic story about love, friendship and revenge in the world of gambling)
Penthouse Elephant (You need patient to watch this one, give the story time to develop)
Dance of the Dragon (Will touch your heart)

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Nov 9th, '11, 14:28

@zzyzx - I totally forgot to recommend Sungkyunkwan Scandal (very addictive drama) since you mentioned that you liked Coffee Prince. It's not the same kind of drama but the lead female characters share similarities with their family life... kind of. You just have to watch it to see.

My Love Patzzi was a good drama too.

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Nov 9th, '11, 23:43

iluvasiandrama wrote:@zzyzx - I totally forgot to recommend Sungkyunkwan Scandal (very addictive drama) since you mentioned that you liked Coffee Prince. It's not the same kind of drama but the lead female characters share similarities with their family life... kind of. You just have to watch it to see.

My Love Patzzi was a good drama too.
I think you both have similar tastes. He actually said SKKS is one of his favorite dramas, SKKS is Sungkyunkwan Scandal. I liked it too but not enough to label it as one of my favorites.

Skobb

Post by Skobb » Nov 12th, '11, 13:38

Last time I asked, my question was caught amidst a big debate lol

So I'll ask it again.. Dramas similar to GIANT or East of Eden?
I kinda assumed there would be one epic drama every year.. But haven't noticed one this year?
Any suggestions for old drams, or news on upcoming ones?

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Nov 12th, '11, 21:08

Skobb wrote:Last time I asked, my question was caught amidst a big debate lol

So I'll ask it again.. Dramas similar to GIANT or East of Eden?
I kinda assumed there would be one epic drama every year.. But haven't noticed one this year?
Any suggestions for old drams, or news on upcoming ones?

Gotta love the debates around here...its why I love d-addicts :lol Anywho, I would recommend as the epic drama for the year so far Myung Wol the Spy :whistling: and although I didn't finish City Hunter ( I have to get around to it) it was ok. I'm sure others have more to add.

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Nov 13th, '11, 02:30

I'm not sure, but I think Myung Wol the Spy is nothing like East of Eden and Giant LOL

jubies33

Post by jubies33 » Nov 13th, '11, 05:45

woah. did i miss some drama while i was gone? well good for me i get enough drama from...well... dramas... I have actually gotten quite addicted to u.s. dramas revenge and once upon a time.. me and my mom watch them together and they are rather good. so sue me. of course i am still watching k-drama as well( and missing sleep). i am so loving family's honor and vampire prosecutor and chugging along with the musical which is a surprise since i love musicals so much.. flower boy ramyun shop has been getting my attention as well. i can't help but be addicted to this drama. call me shallow i don't care.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 13th, '11, 13:33

I think some people misuse "epic" in nowadays meaning (OMG, that was epic!), while I believe Skobb thought about something "huge in meaning and history" (judging by Giant). In this terms, in 2011 there was no such drama, that's true. The closest to it is New Tales of Gisaeng, but I'm iffy recommending that (I loved it, but some people hate that).

Issy

Post by Issy » Nov 13th, '11, 14:18

Ethlenn wrote: In this terms, in 2011 there was no such drama, that's true. The closest to it is New Tales of Gisaeng, but I'm iffy recommending that (I loved it, but some people hate that).
and with PASSION! :whistling:

:mrgreen:

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Nov 14th, '11, 10:02

Ethlenn wrote:I think some people misuse "epic" in nowadays meaning (OMG, that was epic!), while I believe Skobb thought about something "huge in meaning and history" (judging by Giant). In this terms, in 2011 there was no such drama, that's true. The closest to it is New Tales of Gisaeng, but I'm iffy recommending that (I loved it, but some people hate that).
But are there epic dramas at all? I mean yes there are a lot of great dramas out there, but the only kdramas i know of, which earned the title "epic" were Giant and QSD(this one is just a personal opinion and i don't know, if anyone else would say that its epic).

The kdramas 2011 which i enjoyed, but are not epic:
City Hunter
49 days - if not for the end, whis would be my kdrama of 2011
Spy Myung Wol - truth to be told...this one is a guilty pleasure of mine^^
Scent of a Woman- i'm a hater of "sad-disease-dramas", but this one was great, because this was not an overkill of meaningless sadness like...one of the most known sad dramas "Stairway to heaven"
sorry the wholestory is just an overkill. I think the writers of this one wrote EVERY sad thing of the world in this one. Stepsiblings-love, car accident, memory loss, eye cancer, suicide because one guy wanted to save his love, death of the female lead, so the suicide was pointless etc. but i digress...
A lot of people would say that Princess' man was the most epic kdrama this year(well or WGB). I don't love this drama, but its remarkable, because this is really the first drama/movie i've seen in my whole life, where i burned with anticipation, that someone please would snap the neck of the main female lead and so I rooted for the bad guys( i love the actress, but i hate the character).

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 14th, '11, 12:02

Yes, there is, Eyes of Dawn. But I doubt anyone will bother with that, because it's from 1991/92, not crystal clear HD, no shining fashion. But it is really epic drama - history, emotions and settings.
According to dramawiki:
With a cast of 270+ (as well as 27,000+ extras), location shoots in the Philippines and China (unprecedented as South Korea had yet to normalize relations with its communist neighbor), three years in the making, Eye of Dawn was a huge critical and popular success, pioneering the 'special project' template.
QSD could be close to epic if not for those 12 last episodes, distorted and badly sewn into the fabric.
TPM was great but not epic, although when talking about level of emotions - close enough. WBDS was a fusion, the same as Chuno, and none was antient epic sense.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Nov 14th, '11, 17:19

Drama of 2011? Huh, sorry, I have tried quite a few of them but... I painfully finished only 49 days. Ok, I admit, it was interesting in the beginning but it was just too painful to watch, it was just so boring and crappy.

I guess.. there is no drama worth the title. But I am not judging historical dramas.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Nov 15th, '11, 09:07

lol i have never seen, that you finished a drama at all^^. The only comments from you i've seen were: "Boring, couldn't finish".

As for the dramas 2011. Year 2011 dramas were not epic, but i think there were a few good dramas. At least for me, a fan of shallow dramas (i don't really like deep kdramas, as the korean understanding of "deep" is to kill the leads off-.-).

Skobb

Post by Skobb » Nov 15th, '11, 09:38

Thanks for the replies :)

Not sure I could get into historical dramas.. Then again, I've never really given them a chance lol

Believe it or not, I'm in the middle of downloading Eyes of Dawn right now because I noticed With s2 were subbing it! I hope that I can get used to the quality, because it looks like a really good drama.

I tried to watch Swallow the Sun recently but gave up because streaming dramas for me is horrible :x

Might give QSD a go if I can find a torrent for it :thumleft:

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Nov 15th, '11, 16:03

Silverman wrote:lol i have never seen, that you finished a drama at all^^. The only comments from you i've seen were: "Boring, couldn't finish".

As for the dramas 2011. Year 2011 dramas were not epic, but i think there were a few good dramas. At least for me, a fan of shallow dramas (i don't really like deep kdramas, as the korean understanding of "deep" is to kill the leads off-.-).
You should check your eyesight. I have dropped very few dramas. And I drop only those who aren't worth my time.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Nov 15th, '11, 18:16

:blink you said one post before, that you tried a lot of 2011 dramas and except 49 days you dropped them all. And you posted alone in the last 2 1/2 weeks 2-3 times, that you dropped dramas. So my comment isn't something without foundation. I admit, that i exaggerated, that "you never finished a drama" and i didn't want to insult you. It was just a "lol"-comment. But you have to admit, that you wrote quite a few times, that you couldn't finish a drama. Hey and it's your right to drop dramas, if you don't like them. I for my part dropped a lot of historical dramas and dramas older than 2004. So relax^^