RECOMMENDED/FAVORITE KDRAMAS (ask for suggestions here)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
moadeep

Post by moadeep » Dec 30th, '11, 12:10

umm, for not kdrama...you've probably already seen at least one of the incarnations of la femme nikita. If not, there's the original movie, a couple hollywood movie spins on it and two tv series. All the things I can think of are probably things you've already seen. Dark Angel, obviously, as well as Buffy and Dollhouse. Umm...Kick-Ass...Hanna...Firefly/Serenity, since Gina Torres is pretty badass in that. Dragon Age: Redemption, short webseries. How 'bout anime? about a gazillion of those would fit :). Well, okay, maybe not a *gazillion* but there are a lot of good shows. Like Gunslinger Girl. There's another Canadian series that I watched, but since I was a kid at the time I can't remember what it was called. It was also animated.
and I am adding the actiondramas recommended by Silverman to *my* too watch list ;)

moadeep

Post by moadeep » Dec 30th, '11, 12:16

... It was called Cybersix and I just found out that the animated series I loved was not only a comic book, it was a short lived live action series. Apparently I either need to *really* brush up on my french or learn spanish, because the comics have never been released in english.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jan 4th, '12, 15:32

I asked it a few pages ago, but i ask again and perhaps i will have more luck this time.
I'm looking for a kdrama with a female lead, who has "balls". I'm not talking aboujt these girls who are strong at the beginning and then become rags. Also the don't have to be saints, who forgive all. In one drama for example, the second female lead has done some really nasty things, like separate lovers, parents and children, frame someone, trying to ruin families and a big company, blackmail, slander a.s.o.. But at the point, where the female lead had the chance to pay her back or at least stop her, so the second lead could take responsibility for her doing, she backs out and has mercy. After that the second female lead goes on with her evil deeds and in the end, the first lead has mercy again. Are there dramas out there, where the first female lead pays all back without mercy? Or at least isn't a rag.

AvarN

Recommendations...

Post by AvarN » Jan 5th, '12, 01:21

Hi,
I'm looking for a Korean drama that
1) has a male protagonist protecting the female protagonist from danger. Genres: romance, action...
and,
2) has a perfect man. The protagonist knows everything, is strong, good looking, and oh, I don't want him to be ignorant of love or like in The Man Who Can't Get Married...

Thank you,

howtwosavealif3

Post by howtwosavealif3 » Jan 5th, '12, 21:42

I'm korean and I don't like korean dramas but they're really useful for learning korean so try to recommend k-dramas that are REALLY good... best of the best. Worth watching etc etc. that you think I'l like.

before I thought all jdrama was crap with the pausing while they talk etc till i saw the really amazing ones like nobuta wo produce, JIN, watashitachi no kyoukasho which are all very spectacular :D.

My J-rdama reviews are here
http://choronghi.wordpress.com/?s=drama+reviews
you can find out what I don't like about certain dramas. I also wrote about the melodrama in korean dramas.

As far as american dramas go I stopped wathcing grey's anatomy, house like a season or 2 ago cause it just got so dreadful. I like Glee. As a comedy it's a very wlel done. someof the songs I don't like but it's alright.,

So I like high kick that show with 126 eps? It's very funny.
I am watching secret garden but I skip like from 25% to 50% of the episode especially if it doesn't have the main girl or the main guy or if it's a scene with that guy with the huge eyes + long hair (from plastic surgery i assume?) or if it's the scene where oska and the main guy argue cause it's just boring to me. I enjoy some of the comedy but like I said I don't watch the whole ep... there's no way I could watch it if i didn't fast-forward the boring parts. I'm on ep9 and am getting sick of it to be honest so maybe the fast-forwarding will increase.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 5th, '12, 22:01

howtwosavealif3 wrote: that guy with the huge eyes + long hair (from plastic surgery i assume?)
Long hair is not from plastic surgery, he just didn't cut it.

If you think Nobuta... was superb and excellent, I don't think I can recommend you anything, because in my opinion it was utter crap.
Moreover, I don't think anyone can predict what YOU'll like. We recommend what WE liked and perchance someone else may like it or not.

I recomend everywhere Chuno. It's action, it's period, it's romance (kinda). I loved it, but I have no idea about other people, I'm not them, so I can't decide "oh yes, this one will be surely loved by this gal/pal".
I just state it's worth watching, that's all. it's all we do.
I'm not sure anyone can recommend you any drama you'll like. But we can recommend you drama you may like.
Chuno.

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 5th, '12, 23:17

Ethlenn wrote: If you think Nobuta... was superb and excellent, I don't think I can recommend you anything, because in my opinion it was utter crap.
Moreover, I don't think anyone can predict what YOU'll like. We recommend what WE liked and perchance someone else may like it or not.
:lol I loved NWP but that was yeeeears back. I am older and maturer now (I hope :mrgreen: )
Ethlenn wrote:I recomend everywhere Chuno. It's action, it's period, it's romance (kinda). I loved it, but I have no idea about other people, I'm not them, so I can't decide "oh yes, this one will be surely loved by this gal/pal".
I just state it's worth watching, that's all. it's all we do.
I'm not sure anyone can recommend you any drama you'll like. But we can recommend you drama you may like.
Chuno.

YES, YES, YES! Chuno :thumleft:

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Jan 6th, '12, 18:14

:( Mother is one of the best j-drama I've ever seen,I find their acting cold .I mean japanese,but there that was full of emotions and the acting was amazing, anyways my opinion!
howtwosavealif3 wrote: I'm korean and I don't like korean dramas but they're really useful for learning korean so try to recommend k-dramas that are REALLY good... best of the best. Worth watching etc etc. that you think I'l like.
It feels quite weird to recommand kdrama to a koreanbt if you like Glee try What's up!
And like Ethlenn said, there's no guarantee that you'll like something we recommand !

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Jan 7th, '12, 19:23

howtwosavealif3 wrote:I'm korean and I don't like korean dramas but they're really useful for learning korean so try to recommend k-dramas that are REALLY good... best of the best. Worth watching etc etc. that you think I'l like.

before I thought all jdrama was crap with the pausing while they talk etc till i saw the really amazing ones like nobuta wo produce, JIN, watashitachi no kyoukasho which are all very spectacular :D.

My J-rdama reviews are here
http://choronghi.wordpress.com/?s=drama+reviews
you can find out what I don't like about certain dramas. I also wrote about the melodrama in korean dramas.

As far as american dramas go I stopped wathcing grey's anatomy, house like a season or 2 ago cause it just got so dreadful. I like Glee. As a comedy it's a very wlel done. someof the songs I don't like but it's alright.,

So I like high kick that show with 126 eps? It's very funny.
I am watching secret garden but I skip like from 25% to 50% of the episode especially if it doesn't have the main girl or the main guy or if it's a scene with that guy with the huge eyes + long hair (from plastic surgery i assume?) or if it's the scene where oska and the main guy argue cause it's just boring to me. I enjoy some of the comedy but like I said I don't watch the whole ep... there's no way I could watch it if i didn't fast-forward the boring parts. I'm on ep9 and am getting sick of it to be honest so maybe the fast-forwarding will increase.
Huh. I'd put a + to Chuno recommendation. From myself, I'd recommend Shining Inheritance, Resurrection, Bad Guy.

Girls and boys, give me something addictive to watch! Very soon I'll finish Princess's Man and I want something addictive. Fast.

jubies33

Post by jubies33 » Jan 8th, '12, 17:52

nellets i would recommend padam padam if you like that kind of thing. I am only on episode 3 but it is very well done,good acting, interesting plot and highly addicting so far for me anyway. Not sure what you've seen or what kind of dramas your into but if i think of more ill let you know.[/quote]

chikha

Post by chikha » Jan 9th, '12, 06:49

Silverman wrote:
chikha wrote:Can you recommend a really really good period drama?

I have seen Dae Jang Geum, QSD, Dong Yi, Yi san, S-scandal
Damo and Chuno are good
Do you know where can I download working mediafire of chuno? I found this site but the size is too small that is why the quality is quite bad

http://www.heavenofdesires.com/k-drama- ... nter-2010/

07ahms

What should I watch after "You're Beautiful"?

Post by 07ahms » Jan 11th, '12, 01:09

I'm a very new member to this forum, and also to kdrama -- I've only seen one so far, but I really liked it. After loving You're Beautiful (though not the heroine of that show.... she was a weak character), what can you guys recommend that's similar? Thankyou! :-)

NightShade

Post by NightShade » Jan 11th, '12, 01:47

Well lets see if you really like You're Beautiful and wanna stick with a younger cast Coffee Prince would be my next one. It's a classic and it leaves the trope of major evil crazy villian. If you want something new from this past year their is Secret Garden, My Princess, Flower Boy Rayum Shop, and one of the best to close out the 2011 year Me Too Flower. I've got loads more but I don't want to drown you in goodness it's best if you wade in other wise you will lose whole weekends to feed your K-drama habit. Or at least that is the way it was with me :cheers:

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jan 11th, '12, 03:04

Welcome to the forum. But we have an thread here in forum for such recommendations^^. So please post there the next time.
Back to your question. Which aspect of YAB are you looking for? Do you look for dramas about idols? Are you looking for gender-bender-dramas? Are you looking for dramas about music? Are you looking for dramas which are shallow, but fun?

zzyzx

Post by zzyzx » Jan 11th, '12, 03:46

I liked You're Beautiful, too. It was crazy fun and it remains one of my favorite korean dramas. If you liked that, then Secret Garden, My Girl, SKKS or The Greatest Love may be good for you. There are many good ones out there, but tastes vary. lol

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Jan 11th, '12, 04:33

I recommand "My Girlfriend is a Gumiho".

07ahms

Post by 07ahms » Jan 11th, '12, 04:37

Silverman wrote:Welcome to the forum. But we have an thread here in forum for such recommendations^^. So please post there the next time.
Back to your question. Which aspect of YAB are you looking for? Do you look for dramas about idols? Are you looking for gender-bender-dramas? Are you looking for dramas about music? Are you looking for dramas which are shallow, but fun?
I liked the fact that it was a drama with young (handsome ^_^) actors, and the idol focus was really fun. The tension between the leads was awesome, as well as the fact that the 'hero' was initially snarky and flawed and had a love/hate relationship he denied. It was romantic and funny, but also had lots of tension as well. There's so many kdramas out there, I don't know where to start looking.

Sorry, I'll post in the right section next time! :)

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jan 11th, '12, 05:05

OK now you described half of the Kdramas^^.
But overall try all the Hong-Sister-dramas, which are:
The Greatest Love - its about stars, not the young ones, but the mature ones, but still fun.
My Girlfriend is a Nine-Tailed Fox- Shin Min Ah...and the drama is also good^^
You're Beautiful- this one you have watched
Hong Gil Dong - it's different from all the other Hong-dramas
Couple of Fantasy-some people love it, some hate it
My Girl - You have to like Lee Da Hae
Delightful Girl Choon Hyang - not the best, but still good

Then try:
Oh My Lady - about an male idol and an "older" lady(there you have to know, that people at the age of 30+ count as old in kdramas, especially women)
That Fool - about an average guy and a beautiful actress
Heartstrings - the maincast is the cast from You're beautiful (except the male lead is now Jung Yong Hwa- the one who played Shi Woo in YAB) and its about music and something like idols. The music was good.
Dream High - a bunch of idols in the idolschool...not my cup of tea, but some people liked it

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Jan 11th, '12, 05:37

I can't remember if I've asked this before or not but, is there anything else even remotely similar to Thank You in Kdrama land?

mastahodang

Post by mastahodang » Jan 12th, '12, 08:04

Autumn Tales, defintely! Stairway to Heaven was alright compared to Autumn Leaves.

Also, I've recently finished Secret Garden. If anyone wants to watch it, here's the link :) http://shrt.fm/rW2lwd

yunita

One of my top ten

Post by yunita » Jan 18th, '12, 08:06

one of my fav .....incredible good k dorama

9 END 2 OUTS :D :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

cnfanwer

What korean drama to watch next?

Post by cnfanwer » Jan 20th, '12, 04:09

Right now I am finishing up watching Me too flower and Man of honor (they are both really good). I am not sure what to watch next? I tried Color of woman but i am not sure if it is going to be good.

I've watched:

-Fullhouse (my favorite, really cute drama, starring song hye kyo and rain, a must-watch)
-one percent of anything (a nice romcom…didn’t like ending though)
-coffee prince (about a girl pretending to be guy…great drama by yoon eun hye)
-shining inheritance (love the storyline and good morals in the story)
-personal taste (a must watch for fans of lee min ho)
-my girl (really funny and romantic....starring lee dae hae, a must-watch)
-secret garden (love hyun bin in this drama, great storyline and suspenseful plot, a must-watch)
-my girlfriend is a nine tail fox (a mystical romantic story, really good, a must-watch)
-prosecutor princess (has great storyline and open you to the world of law)
-fantasy couple (really funny, a good watch)
-wonderful life (another favorite, really meaningful and heartwarming storyline)
-goong (a great historical romcom, yoon eun hye is really good here, the guy actors are good looking)
-9 end 2 out (not bad, got bored in the middle of the drama)
-delightful girl choon-hyung (really funny, great chemistry, a must-watch)
-spring waltz (love the background music, a slow but beautiful drama, has happy ending)
-dream high (great drama with dancing and singing, actor and actress from IU, 2pm, Miss A, T-ara)
-boys before flowers (a very popular drama, good looking actors, a must-watch)
-take care of the young lady (a good storyline but lacking in chemistry between main actor and actress)
-you are beautiful (another very popular drama, good looking actors…a must watch)
-that fool (really funny and romantic)
-witch yoo hee (funny and a good romcom)
-I am sam (an interesting storyline about girl liking her teacher)
-playful kiss (another popular drama, rendition of Japanese manga, starring kim hyun joong…a must watch)
-smile, you (a great romantic comedy of the family)
-heartstrings (really good…starring jung yong hwa and park shin hye…love the music and touching moments…a must watch)
-city hunter (great plot and with good action and romance…starring lee min ho…a nust watch)
-49 days (fantasy and romance…suspenseful plot…similar to secret garden…a must watch)
-lie to me (funny…starring yoon eun hye…good storyline and quite interesting, about misunderstandings)
-flower boy ramyun shop (funny, fresh, and interesting…hot guys…a must watch)
-me too flower (great plot, love the male and female leads, funny with serious moments)
-man of honor (about baseball player overcoming obstacles, great acting, funny and cute moments)

Korean movie:

200 pounds beauty (love this movie! )
A millionaire’s first love (great touching story!)
My sassy girl (very funny and romantic)
Hello schoolgirl (great movie!)
Someone special (great plot and cute chemistry)
Baby and me (very funny…a great storyline)
Do re mi fa so la ti do (love the story…a bit sad…but very romantic and touching)
Project makeover (my favorite movie….very touching and inspirational…very cute)
Shotgun love
Finding Mr. Destiny

chikha

Post by chikha » Jan 21st, '12, 05:17

Thanks for recommending me Iljimae and Chuno. Both were good but Chuno was really really good. I love all the characters especially Song Tae Ha together with Hye Won. Love also the songs used I am downloading them now.

I just want to know if Full house is a good drama? Is it worth watching? That's the next on my list. If also you have another really really good drama any genre is ok as long as it's really good please let me know thanks

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Jan 21st, '12, 19:17

chikha wrote:I just want to know if Full house is a good drama? Is it worth watching? That's the next on my list. If also you have another really really good drama any genre is ok as long as it's really good please let me know thanks
Full House is pretty stupid. For better rom-coms, try My Name is Kim Sam Soon and Dalja's Spring.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jan 21st, '12, 22:38

kitty10 wrote:
chikha wrote:I just want to know if Full house is a good drama? Is it worth watching? That's the next on my list. If also you have another really really good drama any genre is ok as long as it's really good please let me know thanks
Full House is pretty stupid. For better rom-coms, try My Name is Kim Sam Soon and Dalja's Spring.
You can't say that. Full house is a case of try and then decide, if its watchable. A lot of people like it, a lot of people hate it. It's true, that since Full House a lot better dramas were aired, but at that point, where Full House was aired, it was the Secret Garden of 2004 (hype and high ratings). 8 years ago FH was ore or less "fresh" and had some new ideas and it was one of the kdramas, which made korean dramas so popular over the world.
I think it was for Kdramas, what Hero and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was for wuxia-movies, Explanation: The two named movies were nothing special in Hong Kong, since there were made thousands of similar movies over the years. But they made a big impact on the international movie-community and made this kind of movies popular.

Overall give FH a try and decide then, if you like it or not.

chikha

Post by chikha » Jan 22nd, '12, 11:01

I've just finished watching Chuno and It was really really good. Hmm I'm gonna give full house a try but based on your comments it' not that good. So can you recommend again any good k-drama? Any genre will do whether it is period or rom com or action as long as it's good I'll watch it. I have seen Kim Sam Soon but for me it is just an ok drama.

Edit: I've read lots of reviews about full house they said it's just overrated and nothing special about it

Can you tell which one should I watch first that is good or if you have any on mind please let me know

The Man Who Can't Get Married
Dalja's Spring
That Fool
Painter of the Wind
Damo or any good period drama

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Jan 22nd, '12, 19:00

Silverman wrote: You can't say that. Full house is a case of try and then decide, if its watchable. A lot of people like it, a lot of people hate it. It's true, that since Full House a lot better dramas were aired, but at that point, where Full House was aired, it was the Secret Garden of 2004 (hype and high ratings). 8 years ago FH was ore or less "fresh" and had some new ideas and it was one of the kdramas, which made korean dramas so popular over the world.
I think it was for Kdramas, what Hero and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was for wuxia-movies, Explanation: The two named movies were nothing special in Hong Kong, since there were made thousands of similar movies over the years. But they made a big impact on the international movie-community and made this kind of movies popular.

Overall give FH a try and decide then, if you like it or not.
I can say Full House is stupid because that's my opinion formed after suffering through the non-acting of SHK and Rain. chikha asked for a recommendation and I felt the drama isn't worth her time when there are others that are much better. Of course you can disagree if you like Full House, just as chikha didn't think much of Kim Sam Soon (which I enjoyed a heck lot more than Full House). Full House wasn't a "fresh" idea - contract relationships and whatnot were the staple of k-dramas back then, and the whole premise was ridiculous to begin with. The pull factor was the star power of both Rain and SHK, neither of whom could act to save their lives, but fandom is often illogical.

Hero is not quite wuxia, while CTHD is a POS - it was made for the international audience, of course it'd be a hit when you cater to their wuxia 101 tastes.

chikha wrote:Can you tell which one should I watch first that is good or if you have any on mind please let me know

Dalja's Spring
That Fool
Painter of the Wind
For "The Man Who Can't Get Married", try the Japanese original instead (Kekkon Dekinai Otoko is the title). Abe Hiroshi made this role his, and Ji Jin-hee's version doesn't quite cut it.

Dalja's Spring is very enjoyable, has lovely acting and a wonderful soundtrack. I recommend this heartily.

That Fool... I only caught a few episodes here and there, seems fairly watchable if you like Hwang Jung-min.

Painter of the Wind - watch for Moon Geun-young, girl won a Daesang for the role. Park Shin-yang was a bit shrieky.

Of the recent sageuk offerings, it seems Tree with Deep Roots is quite popular. It's got Jang Hyuk, so maybe give that a shot since you also enjoyed his Chuno.

chikha

Post by chikha » Jan 23rd, '12, 02:48

@Kitty10 ok thanks I'm going to download now Dalja's spring. I will watch first episode of fullhouse first see if I will like it. And yes Jang Hyuk was really good on Chuno especially the scene were he's eating alone thinking that all his compeers were dead but I am leaning towards Oh Ji ho characte there, simple but you can see in his eyes all the emotions :P

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jan 23rd, '12, 04:35

chikha wrote:I've just finished watching Chuno and It was really really good. Hmm I'm gonna give full house a try but based on your comments it' not that good. So can you recommend again any good k-drama? Any genre will do whether it is period or rom com or action as long as it's good I'll watch it. I have seen Kim Sam Soon but for me it is just an ok drama.

Edit: I've read lots of reviews about full house they said it's just overrated and nothing special about it

Can you tell which one should I watch first that is good or if you have any on mind please let me know

Dalja's Spring
That Fool
Painter of the Wind
My personal watchlist of these dramas(in order of liking) would be (it's just MY opinion)
1. That Fool - i like this drama very much. It's funny and enjoyable.
2. The Man Who Can't Get Married - i know it's a remake and a lot of people like the japanese version more, but i think they are equally good. I have watched them both and liked them.
3. Dalja's Spring - I love Chae Rim and this drama is good. Not my favorite of her dramas, but still great (although a lot of people say, that it's her best drama)
4. Damo - a little bit older this drama, but it has Ha Ji Won, the actress, who hooked me to watch Korean movies.
5. Painter in the Wind- Overall a good drama, but i'm not a fan of PSY

@ Kitty10
Since when is Hero not a wuxia-movie?Oo
And yes, thats the point i wanted to make. Hero and CTHD are nothing special, since there were made thousands of movies like these over the last 100 years. And even if they are good movies, they are way overhyped and overrated (and i'm saying this as an Jet Li fan). But they helped the international export of TW and HK-movies, so they are important. And this counts also for FH. It's not too bad, but nothing special and is overrated (but still worth a try). But also this drama helped the Hallyu-export a lot (and this is a fact and not an opinion). OK it's true, that not all ideas were fresh. But the point is, that it was one of the first dramas(or at least one of the oldest i know, so the reality can be a little bit different), which had a format, which is still popular in modern dramas (such things as episode count of 16, 4 leads, the evil second female lead a.s.o.). Yes the ideas are each for themselves not new, but in this constelation it was one of the first. But then again, i have never watched a kdrama, older than 2001, so this could be just a wild guess from me. Its all my opinion and i don't expect that all my opinions are unavoidable truths, so bear with it^^.

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Jan 23rd, '12, 05:52

@chikha

if you like Jang Hyuk then watch Thank You, in my opinion Tazza and Chuno both of which he did afterwards are a bit of a letdown, I'm not sure about Tree with Deep Roots I haven't seen it yet, I'm not saying he's not good in them he is he's very very good but in Thank you he is absolutely amazing.

Shindou

Post by Shindou » Jan 23rd, '12, 06:59

chikha wrote:

Dalja's Spring
That Fool
Painter of the Wind
I'd second the recommendation to watch Kekkon Dekinai Otoko (the japanese version)

Damo was pretty good but I'd personally prefer Iljimae or Queen Seon Deok over that

chikha

Post by chikha » Jan 23rd, '12, 08:35

@Silverman ok thanks very much :)
@Sajen16 ok I'll look for that and search it on dramawiki and will read the brief summary. thanks very much :)

@Shindou- Ive seen Iljimae and QSD and they were good period dramas.

I backread and went back on the first page and many said that damo was good too and has great ost too.I know it's a sad ending but I will also want to give it a try.
Is there anyone knows where to download it? If you have wupload or mediafire links that would be much better. I am currently downloading Dalja's spring now and I have downloaded already first 9 episodes of full house while watching chuno this past few days but don't know if I should watch it since it has mixed reviews. I am confused on what to watch right now lol :P

This are all the K-dramas Ive seen after I start watching again

The Baker King- This is where I got hooked on Korean Dramas
Dae Jang Geum- Really Really good. Really loved it. My all time favorite
Dong Yi- Lots of good moments. It made me laugh, it made me cry. Great.
Yi San- I didn't finish it maybe because of the cast. I stop after episode 60
QSD- Really Good. I was anxious to know what's going to happen in every episodes.
Gourmet- I really loved this too mixed of comedy, romance, family. Great drama
KIm Sam Soon- I liked it because of the lead actor and also the one who portrayed Hee JIn. But it didn't stuck on my head for that long
Pasta- It's good but I find the lead actress boring and also the lead actor keeps on shouting
SKKS- It's ok but for me but not that good IMHO
Iljimae- I like the story of the main character being a thief but didn't like the ending though
Chuno-This one is a masterpiece. Like the story and the lead actors especially Song Tae Ha's portrayal. And also the OST used were really good. After watching this I want to watch more and more K-dramas

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Jan 23rd, '12, 16:49

Silverman wrote:@ Kitty10
Since when is Hero not a wuxia-movie?Oo
And yes, thats the point i wanted to make. Hero and CTHD are nothing special, since there were made thousands of movies like these over the last 100 years. And even if they are good movies, they are way overhyped and overrated (and i'm saying this as an Jet Li fan). But they helped the international export of TW and HK-movies, so they are important. And this counts also for FH. It's not too bad, but nothing special and is overrated (but still worth a try). But also this drama helped the Hallyu-export a lot (and this is a fact and not an opinion). OK it's true, that not all ideas were fresh. But the point is, that it was one of the first dramas(or at least one of the oldest i know, so the reality can be a little bit different), which had a format, which is still popular in modern dramas (such things as episode count of 16, 4 leads, the evil second female lead a.s.o.). Yes the ideas are each for themselves not new, but in this constelation it was one of the first. But then again, i have never watched a kdrama, older than 2001, so this could be just a wild guess from me. Its all my opinion and i don't expect that all my opinions are unavoidable truths, so bear with it^^.
Hero is not strictly wuxia. It's got a lot of subtext and goes beyond the typical HK wuxia film. It's a very political film, despite what Zhang Yimou said. I personally don't consider it wuxia. As for saying Hero and CTHD helped the international export of TW and HK movies, I think that's stretching it a little. Sure it made a dip into the international market, stirred up some interest, but a lot of Chinese martial arts films don't cross national or regional borders very well. Concepts familiar to Asians or martial arts aficionados are pretty much lost to everyone else. Some people just don't get it. They think it's a lot of jumping on wires and waving swords etc. Anyway this isn't the thread for wuxia, so I'll stop here.

By the time Full House was filmed (2004), Hallyu was already fairly strong, and that's thanks in large part to the Seasons dramas. SHK rose to fame because of her stint in Autumn in My Heart and All In, not Full House. The Japanese obasan love Yonsama and Choi Ji-woo because of their roles in Winter Sonata. Of course Full House helped the Hallyu export (most K-dramas would, with enough star power), but there were other more famous and better made dramas before Full House. It's fine if you like Full House, but I think people give it more credit than it deserves.

@chikha: Ahh you like Oh Ji-ho? :blink Well... okay, I thought he was one of the stiffest boards around. He's not much of an actor, and had little chemistry with Lee Da-hae... not to say Jang Hyuk had that in the boatloads either. I must be the only one here who thought Chuno overrated. A lot of style but not much substance. The director was very self-indulgent. Choreography isn't much if you're someone who grew up with wuxia films and dramas. Jang Hyuk acted his heart out though, and I agree the OST is lovely.

Since you seem like a sageuk fan (going by your list), try the following:
Story of Hyang Dan
Jumong
Hong Gil Dong
Conspiracy in the Court
Return of Iljimae (with Jung Il-woo)

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jan 23rd, '12, 18:23

chikha wrote:@Silverman ok thanks very much :)
@Sajen16 ok I'll look for that and search it on dramawiki and will read the brief summary. thanks very much :)

@Shindou- Ive seen Iljimae and QSD and they were good period dramas.

I backread and went back on the first page and many said that damo was good too and has great ost too.I know it's a sad ending but I will also want to give it a try.
Is there anyone knows where to download it? If you have wupload or mediafire links that would be much better. I am currently downloading Dalja's spring now and I have downloaded already first 9 episodes of full house while watching chuno this past few days but don't know if I should watch it since it has mixed reviews. I am confused on what to watch right now lol :P

This are all the K-dramas Ive seen after I start watching again

The Baker King- This is where I got hooked on Korean Dramas
Dae Jang Geum- Really Really good. Really loved it. My all time favorite
Dong Yi- Lots of good moments. It made me laugh, it made me cry. Great.
Yi San- I didn't finish it maybe because of the cast. I stop after episode 60
QSD- Really Good. I was anxious to know what's going to happen in every episodes.
Gourmet- I really loved this too mixed of comedy, romance, family. Great drama
KIm Sam Soon- I liked it because of the lead actor and also the one who portrayed Hee JIn. But it didn't stuck on my head for that long
Pasta- It's good but I find the lead actress boring and also the lead actor keeps on shouting
SKKS- It's ok but for me but not that good IMHO
Iljimae- I like the story of the main character being a thief but didn't like the ending though
Chuno-This one is a masterpiece. Like the story and the lead actors especially Song Tae Ha's portrayal. And also the OST used were really good. After watching this I want to watch more and more K-dramas
I hate it to break it for you, but 9 out of 10 saeguks end tragic, where at least the half of the main cast dies^^.

A word to Pasta. This was also my first drama with Gong Hyo Jin (the female lead in Pasta). I disliked her after watching this drama, because the whole "Yea Chef" is just...meeeh. But give her other dramas a chance, such as "The Greatest Love", "Thank You"(very good) and Hello My Teacher. Because of these dramas, my hate became love^^.

Ok I see, that you are more on the saeguk-side of dramas, so i don't know, if i can help you with good dramas. But try Secret Garden. Some people hate it, but the most people love it. Also try "The Princess' Man", the most people love it and this was the first kdrama for me, where i wished the female lead would die in the end...

chikha

Post by chikha » Jan 24th, '12, 06:04

I am not exactly a fan of Oh Ji Ho, I just like his character( Song Tae Ha ) on Chuno :D

Thanks very much for all the help. I am thinking also of secret garden because I read Hyun bin was there I am going to read it first. :D Yes I like period dramas but I am open to watch any k-dramas other than that. It doesn't matter if it is action, romcom or melodrama as long as it's good I'll watch.

I am watching Dalja's Spring now and I am loving it. I am on episiode 3 right now. I find Tae
Bong attractive btw hehe :D

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jan 24th, '12, 22:34

If you like Oh Ji Ho, then give "Fantasy Couple" a try. But the female lead is one of these actresses, which most men love and most women hate^^.

chikha

Post by chikha » Jan 25th, '12, 05:49

Is Shining Inheritance a good drama too?

Shindou

Post by Shindou » Jan 25th, '12, 06:58

chikha wrote:I am not exactly a fan of Oh Ji Ho, I just like his character( Song Tae Ha ) on Chuno :D

Thanks very much for all the help. I am thinking also of secret garden because I read Hyun bin was there I am going to read it first. :D Yes I like period dramas but I am open to watch any k-dramas other than that. It doesn't matter if it is action, romcom or melodrama as long as it's good I'll watch.

I am watching Dalja's Spring now and I am loving it. I am on episiode 3 right now. I find Tae
If you liked Kim Sam Soon, Secret Garden is even better. It's been years since I've watched a drama as good as this one! Not trying to deliberately put this on a pedestal but I think not since Love Generation or Long Vacation have I seen something this good.

If you like the anticipation of QSD, Dae Mul might be worth a shot too

chikha

Post by chikha » Jan 25th, '12, 08:36

Shindou wrote:
chikha wrote:I am not exactly a fan of Oh Ji Ho, I just like his character( Song Tae Ha ) on Chuno :D

If you liked Kim Sam Soon, Secret Garden is even better. It's been years since I've watched a drama as good as this one! Not trying to deliberately put this on a pedestal but I think not since Love Generation or Long Vacation have I seen something this good.

If you like the anticipation of QSD, Dae Mul might be worth a shot too

I did enjoy KSS but it is not on the top of my list when it comes to my most favorite :). I am watching Dalja's spring now for me i like this one better than KSS. Ok thanks I am going to check the dramas you recommended thanks very much :D

@silverman is fantasy couple any good I just like Oh ji ho on chuno but i haven't watch his other drama yet

Is Shining Inheritance a good drama as well I've search for it and saw the rating was good?

Thanks very much for all the help :mrgreen:

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jan 25th, '12, 14:56

Shining Inheritance is again one of these dramas, which you either like or hate. It has 28 episodes and is sometimes a little bit slow. The last quarter of this drama is a little bit...i don't know...its not bad, but the female leadcharacter is for my taste too saintlike and it it's one of the dramas, where the villains screw the lead on a big scale and the lead doesn't put on a fight, so its frustrating.

yunita

Post by yunita » Jan 25th, '12, 15:27

does anybody agree with me that 9 END 2 OUTS is one the niciest dramas and could be high on the ranking? :-)

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jan 25th, '12, 23:02

I tried twice to watch this drama, but both times i stopped at episode 3 or 4. I don't know why.

This time I'll ask for a recommendation. I'm looking for a revenge-drama, with a "happy end"(as far as such dramas can have a happy end). What i mean is a drama, where the revenge succeeds. I've watched just a few of these dramas, so i'm almost a tabula rasa in this genre. But the ones i watched, the maincharacter(who takes revenge) dies. The most "happy" ending i've seen so far in such a drama, was where the guy succeeds and lives, but goes away from his love interest and lives a lonely life. It doesn't need to be all butterflies and sunshine, but at least a little bit happiness.

moadeep

Post by moadeep » Jan 26th, '12, 00:18

Girl K! At least, it plays out like a revenge story to my mind...I don't know if anybody else would classify it as such.

Issy

Post by Issy » Jan 26th, '12, 01:04

Silverman wrote:If you like Oh Ji Ho, then give "Fantasy Couple" a try. But the female lead is one of these actresses, which most men love and most women hate^^.
very well said. :P me personally did not find anything special about Fantasy Couple and it was not all due to HYS. it's a remake of US movie "Overboard" and honestly that movie can't stretch into 16 eps drama.
btw, I am an OJH fan who got obsessed with him after watching him in Chuno. :P but have to admit, I think his Chuno character is his best.

chikha

Post by chikha » Jan 26th, '12, 05:12

Silverman wrote:Shining Inheritance is again one of these dramas, which you either like or hate. It has 28 episodes and is sometimes a little bit slow. The last quarter of this drama is a little bit...i don't know...its not bad, but the female leadcharacter is for my taste too saintlike and it it's one of the dramas, where the villains screw the lead on a big scale and the lead doesn't put on a fight, so its frustrating.
Ok thanks I am going to start to download now the next drama that I am going to watch next since I just finished downloading all the episodes of Dalja's spring. I am loving Chae rim here in Dalja's Spring she is good.

I am choosing from one of these dramas that I am going to watch next

Thank You
That Fool
Secret Garden

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jan 26th, '12, 11:31

They are all three in my top 10 dramalist^^. Watch them all.
moadeep wrote:Girl K! At least, it plays out like a revenge story to my mind...I don't know if anybody else would classify it as such.
Well it is a revenge-drama and it reminds me of heroic bloodshed movies (i know it isnt one).

yunita

Post by yunita » Jan 26th, '12, 12:58

Silverman wrote:I tried twice to watch this drama, but both times i stopped at episode 3 or 4. I don't know why.

This time I'll ask for a recommendation. I'm looking for a revenge-drama, with a "happy end"(as far as such dramas can have a happy end). What i mean is a drama, where the revenge succeeds. I've watched just a few of these dramas, so i'm almost a tabula rasa in this genre. But the ones i watched, the maincharacter(who takes revenge) dies. The most "happy" ending i've seen so far in such a drama, was where the guy succeeds and lives, but goes away from his love interest and lives a lonely life. It doesn't need to be all butterflies and sunshine, but at least a little bit happiness.

If you can download QUEEN OF GAME....It seems to fit absolutely on what you are looking for....one piece of advice: you´ll fall in love with the couple. :wub:

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jan 26th, '12, 19:26

lol now 2 of the 5 revengedramas i watched so far were named. I watched:
Killer Girl
Queen of Game
Devil
Temptation of an Angel
A man called god(watched a few episodes)

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Feb 4th, '12, 17:41

Give me something addictive, guys!

mylucky9

Looking for a comedy/romance drama with this storyline?

Post by mylucky9 » Feb 4th, '12, 23:49

Name any drama you know that has a storyline similar to this:

1. Girl likes (Bad) Boy
2. Girl tries to impress/confesses to the Boy.
3. Bad Boy rejects her (because he probably likes some other girl)
4. After time Girl gives up and ends up either not liking him at all or disliking him (there's a difference)
5. Bad Boy starts seeing a new side of Girl and is attracted.
6. Still being the Bad Boy, he doesn't openly pursue her but knows she has moved on. Boy is sad.
7. Maybe there's a second (Good) Guy? He likes the Girl tries to win her heart as well.

I was just fantasizing this plot after seeing this Taeyeon on Minho film together for a drama I think.

Watch it! It's really cute!

If you don't know a drama/movie like this then write your suggestion continuing this love story! I'd like to hear different versions of how this relationship can turn out! It'd be interesting :D :wub: :wub:

mylucky9

Post by mylucky9 » Feb 4th, '12, 23:52

Oh that's right.... Heartstrings! That's a good example right? :D

Keikan

Post by Keikan » Feb 5th, '12, 00:19

I haven't seen that many K-dramas, but I guess "Personal Taste" could fit in this category?
In the beginning of the drama, the main girl is in love with her boyfriend, and she confesses to him, but she learns that he is cheating on her with her best friend, and that he never loved her. From then on she begins to plot her revenge with the help of her roommate (Lee Min Ho's character) who she ends up falling for. In time, her now ex-boyfriend starts to get really attracted to this "vengeful" side of her personality he'd never seen before, but it's too late: she's already moved on.
Although this is not the main plotline of the whole drama, it is still a very important one.

Neliets

Re: Looking for a comedy/romance drama with this storyline?

Post by Neliets » Feb 5th, '12, 12:34

mylucky9 wrote:Name any drama you know that has a storyline similar to this:

1. Girl likes (Bad) Boy
4. After time Girl gives up and ends up either not liking him at all or disliking him (there's a difference)
6. Still being the Bad Boy, he doesn't openly pursue her but knows she has moved on. Boy is sad.
7. Maybe there's a second (Good) Guy? He likes the Girl tries to win her heart as well.

I was just fantasizing this plot after seeing this Taeyeon on Minho film together for a drama I think.

If you don't know a drama/movie like this then write your suggestion continuing this love story! I'd like to hear different versions of how this relationship can turn out! It'd be interesting :D :wub: :wub:
Oh, good lord. There are way too many :D

Goong, My Girl, Shining Inheritance(this one I really liked), You're beautiful(I guess this excuse of a drama counts, too, but I do not recommend it), Coffee Prince, My Girlfriend Is A Gumiho(this one is good, too), Playful Kiss(this one is total crap), A Love To Kill(not a romcom, but the real thing!), My Princess(average drama, nothing special). There are more, much more but I am tired of thinking already :D But I recommend one of the 3 first if you haven't seen, or My Girlfriend is a Gumiho, or, if you don't mind sad and serious dramas - A Love To Kill.

Orange_Guy

Post by Orange_Guy » Feb 5th, '12, 18:08

Neliets wrote:Give me something addictive, guys!
Two words: Padam Padam (ok one word said twice :P)

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Feb 6th, '12, 20:58

Orange_Guy wrote:
Oh, damn, thanks a lot! I started it this morning(right after I saw your comment) and it turned out to be a damn good drama. I just finished 7th episode and I am going to sleep.

I recommend Padam Padam to everyone, too.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Feb 7th, '12, 01:26

Neliets wrote:

1. Girl likes (Bad) Boy

Goong, My Girl, Shining Inheritance(this one I really liked), You're beautiful(I guess this excuse of a drama counts, too, but I do not recommend it), Coffee Prince, My Girlfriend Is A Gumiho(this one is good, too), Playful Kiss(this one is total crap), A Love To Kill(not a romcom, but the real thing!), My Princess(average drama, nothing special). There are more, much more but I am tired of thinking already :D But I recommend one of the 3 first if you haven't seen, or My Girlfriend is a Gumiho, or, if you don't mind sad and serious dramas - A Love To Kill.
Actually there aren't sooo many, which fit all the points of the description. The dramas with the points 1-4 are relatively few (few compared to the number of rom-dramas).
Its mostly like:
1. Bad boy and lesbian truckdrive...sry...i mean "strong girl" meet and bicker the whole time
2.Boy is attracted to her, because no other girl dared to handle him like this. Then he tries to woo her (in most cases in a clumsy manner)
3. Girl doesn't like him at first or likes him but tries to ignore it.
4. In the end the girl is mesmerized by the sensitive and pitiful side of this bad boy, who tries to change himself for her.
5. After obstacles, like mother-in-law or the evil ex-girlfriend/second female lead, they come together.

Most of the dramas you recommended, fit more or less my description, but not luckys

But as for mylucky9's request i have a few dramas, which fit it almost perfectly.
1. Pick the Stars - one of my favorites
2. Playful Kiss...i'm not a fan (i know, it was mentioned)
3. Full House (although point 1 and 2 aren't strong developed, but they are still there)
4. Flower Boy Ramyun Shop
5. Romance Town (point 4 is not there, but the rest fits)

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Feb 7th, '12, 05:29

Silverman wrote:
Neliets wrote:

1. Girl likes (Bad) Boy

Actually there aren't sooo many, which fit all the points of the description. The dramas with the points 1-4 are relatively few (few compared to the number of rom-dramas).
Its mostly like:
1. Bad boy and lesbian truckdrive...sry...i mean "strong girl" meet and bicker the whole time
2.Boy is attracted to her, because no other girl dared to handle him like this. Then he tries to woo her (in most cases in a clumsy manner)
3. Girl doesn't like him at first or likes him but tries to ignore it.
4. In the end the girl is mesmerized by the sensitive and pitiful side of this bad boy, who tries to change himself for her.
5. After obstacles, like mother-in-law or the evil ex-girlfriend/second female lead, they come together.

Most of the dramas you recommended, fit more or less my description, but not luckys

But as for mylucky9's request i have a few dramas, which fit it almost perfectly.
1. Pick the Stars - one of my favorites
2. Playful Kiss...i'm not a fan (i know, it was mentioned)
3. Full House (although point 1 and 2 aren't strong developed, but they are still there)
4. Flower Boy Ramyun Shop
5. Romance Town (point 4 is not there, but the rest fits)
I kinda disagree. But let's not spam this thread.

While we're at it, Full House corresponds your Lesbian truckdriver description points.

And I wasn't going for dramas that were described, but just overall something that a human being, who likes that kind of dramas, may like(of course, we'd have to take out Playful Kiss).

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Feb 7th, '12, 08:50

Yes they are overlapping, so it isn't that different. But the point is, that these points:
1. Girl likes (Bad) Boy

are not given in most dramas. OK there are quite a few dramas, where the girl likes the guy first, but in most cases she tries to avoid/conceal it, but the impress him and confess and getting rejected-part is not there in most cases.
But you're right let us stop, because it one of these "opinion-cases", where nobody can win^^.

07ahms

Post by 07ahms » Feb 8th, '12, 11:04

Silverman wrote:I tried twice to watch this drama, but both times i stopped at episode 3 or 4. I don't know why.

City Hunter? I really like that drama. :)

darerisk

Rich girl, Poor guy

Post by darerisk » Feb 11th, '12, 17:45

hi, just wondering is there any drama about a rich girl falling in love with a poor guy. cos the drama i watched are mostly rich guy falling in love with poor girl. so i hope to see something news. thanks in advance :D

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Feb 11th, '12, 18:46

Celeb to Binbo Taro, Sutaa no Koi, Boku to Star no 99 Nichi. But the focus is more on the celebrity part. Maybe Tatta Hitotsu no Koi is more suitable. Yamato Nadeshiko is about a women who wants to marry a rich man, but fall in love with a poor guy. Hmm, these are the only japanese dramas which come in my mind about this topic^^ Ah, and one kdrama: That Fool - rich celebrity fall in love with a postman.

Neliets

Re: Rich girl, Poor guy

Post by Neliets » Feb 11th, '12, 20:07

darerisk wrote:hi, just wondering is there any drama about a rich girl falling in love with a poor guy. cos the drama i watched are mostly rich guy falling in love with poor girl. so i hope to see something news. thanks in advance :D
Take Care Of The Young Lady

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Feb 11th, '12, 22:06

The dramas i know of with this storyplot are (i just list all i know, even though some were already named)
Take care of the young lady
That Fool
The birth of the rich man
Why did you come to our house
I am Happy - long, but very good, because it doesn't end with a kiss or the wedding of the couple, but shows how the couple lives after the rich-poor-wedding
Fantasy Couple
Prosecutor Princess - OK he is not poor, but she is loaded, so it's more like rich-rich-couple.
Heading to the Ground - not exactly a good drama or a lot of romance (it's sportsdrama...), but rich girl and poor guy is there.
I am Sam - she is rich, he is poor, but its not the main topic in this drama
Star's Lover
Witch Yoo Hee - my guilty pleasure. Most people hate this drama, but i love it^^.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Feb 14th, '12, 09:41

oh! totally forgot - Que Sera Sera! this was very good! I'd add fewmore to thelist of rich girl poor guy but i dont have a keyboard now, i am using on-screen keyboard ;D

anyways - i need something good again. And quite urgently bcause I got sick today ;D

07ahms

Post by 07ahms » Feb 16th, '12, 14:56

Can anyone recommend some good dramas/movies with a "bad boy" or snarky hero? I know this is a very generic question, but it's hard to know what's worth watching. Other than that, if you know of any good romantic comedies (mixed with some angst), please mention those too. So far, I've watched You're Beautiful and Heartstrings, which both had some good moments (the former I would have loved, had it not been for the pathetic dishrag of a heroine). These aren't dramas, but I enjoyed them as well: my little bride, baby and I, Doremifasolasido. I've noticed that I'm always attracted to shows with young characters, lol.

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Feb 17th, '12, 05:22

Sullie wrote:
Orange_Guy wrote:
how about Sungkyunkwan Scandal??
I have seen both already :mrgreen:

Issy

Post by Issy » Feb 17th, '12, 07:02

@Neliets
If you like musicals, try What's Up
If you watch medical dramas, watch Brain.
These were my most addictive dramas recently and I LOVE both as same level as Chuno (of course all three are different genre. Just to show the level of my liking :mrgreen: )

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Feb 17th, '12, 13:00

Issy wrote:@Neliets
These were my most addictive dramas recently and I LOVE both as same level as Chuno (of course all three are different genre. Just to show the level of my liking :mrgreen: )
I don't like medical dramas, and I hate musicals. :wub:

But I like how you rated both. Yes, Chuno is indeed something that sits in the first places.

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Feb 17th, '12, 18:26

Issy wrote:@Neliets
Issy,have you seen "Jejoongwon"? :thumright:

Issy

Post by Issy » Feb 17th, '12, 19:06

Sham, had to google it. I don't know any of its cast but if you say is good I will give it a try. :mrgreen:

chikha

Post by chikha » Feb 18th, '12, 10:18

I am watching Episode 1 of Thank You now but there are scenes that I don't understand, On the first scene when Gong Hyo Jin was running in a dress she went to Suk Yeon's house, there's a child there it's Suk Yeon's Daughter eating with her Grand mother then on the Second scene,Gong Hyo JIn was now living a simple life there's again the child there wjo look exactly Suk Yeon's daughter during the first scene. My question is, is the child not really Gong Hyo Jin Daughter not the child on the fisrt scene? Because when Sukyeon and the child met he didn't recognize the child.

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Feb 18th, '12, 15:43

Yes Issy, hope you'll give it a try and read your thought about it!
@Chikha : that scene was a dream !

chikha

Post by chikha » Feb 21st, '12, 02:28

Ok thanks.. I am in Episode 8 now. Whenever they show Bom and Seok Yun together with the background music in it, It was so touching.

Is Brain a very good drama? How about Hello, my Teacher? I want to download again another K-drama so that when I finish watching Thank You, I will have something to watch again.
Last edited by chikha on Feb 21st, '12, 07:38, edited 1 time in total.

AsianDramazzz9

I need a drama that will get me hooked!

Post by AsianDramazzz9 » Feb 21st, '12, 05:45

I will take any suggestions except "war" - esque dramas, not interested in those at all unless you think i would really really really love it.

So ever since playful kiss and boys over flowers (the first 2 dramas i watched) - i noticed i don't have that special feeling anymore. When i first watched those dramas it was so exciting and literally, they were what made me wake up in the morning :wub: lol.
I couldn't wait to come back from school JUST to watch a new episode.

Long story short, i need a drama that will put back that feeling for me. So please give me suggestions :)
Anything really similar to boys over flowers - and no, not hana yori dango - would be appreciated.

ImL0st

Post by ImL0st » Feb 21st, '12, 06:06

How about "You're Beautiful" or "Secret Garden?"