Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

Ireland (MBC, 2004)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
Post Reply

How would you rate Ireland?

Life-altering/Must-see
11
33%
See it
10
30%
Probably shouldn't miss it
3
9%
Probably shouldn't miss it
3
9%
STAY AWAY
6
18%
 
Total votes: 33

User avatar
clouds421
Reviewer
Reviewer
Posts: 83
Joined: Mar 16th, '04, 23:28
Contact:

Ireland (MBC, 2004)

Post by clouds421 » Jan 17th, '05, 06:14

Happier times:
Image

Official website: http://www.imbc.com/broad/tv/drama/ireland/index.html

If anyone's actually patient enough to read the review, it's here:
http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtop ... 1866#91866

It turned out way too long.

Other pics:
http://bingoimage.naver.com/data/bingo_ ... gur_90.jpg
http://bingoimage.naver.com/data/bingo_ ... im_428.jpg
Just thought ^^ was cute.

User avatar
il_mare
Posts: 18
Joined: Jul 27th, '04, 12:32
Location: Hong Kong

Re: [Discussion] Ireland

Post by il_mare » Jan 17th, '05, 07:10

clouds421 wrote:Happier times:
Image

Official website: http://www.imbc.com/broad/tv/drama/ireland/index.html

If anyone's actually patient enough to read the review, it's here:
http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtop ... 1866#91866

It turned out way too long.

Other pics:
http://bingoimage.naver.com/data/bingo_ ... gur_90.jpg
http://bingoimage.naver.com/data/bingo_ ... im_428.jpg
Just thought ^^ was cute.
I read your review and am impress that you were able to pen something out of a kdrama that really meant nothing to me. I think after the first 4-6 episodes, the rest of it did not made sense at all. Each character seemed to develop in isolation, and their relationships were not developing at all! :crazy: :crazy:

The kdrama seemed to demonstrate the presence of different persons at different stages of life and the type of support and relationships to have at different stages of life. Yet I could not identify the impact that each made on each other's life other than a love life support......

And I agree completely with you about not getting the message.....pls enlighten me if anyone did. :unsure: :unsure:

User avatar
Jannah
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber
Posts: 936
Joined: May 13th, '04, 06:25
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by Jannah » Jan 17th, '05, 09:29

I voted for 'See it'. Although the ending left me baffled, as it wasn't really an "ending" per say, I found Ireland to be one big breath of fresh air after all the melodramatic K-dramas I've watched. I agree that the story didn't really develop at all, but I enjoyed this series all the same, for some reason. Maybe because I watched it without expecting any new plot development with each episode. By the end of the third episode, I sensed that Ireland wasn't meant to be watched like just another K-drama. So I learnt not to anticipate anything from the drama, and that helped as I kept watching. In fact, the further I got into the drama, the more I wanted to watch.

I guess one thing I really liked about Ireland was the engaging dialogue between the characters, like clouds421 mentioned. I enjoyed not knowing what each character was gonna say next. Some of their conversations were quite weird though, and I had to re-watch several scenes to decipher them.

As for the ending, I guess the writer meant for it to be open for comprehension, but I think it left viewers (including me) puzzled instead. I had to watch the last episode twice, and it took me a while to accept the "ending" as it was.
Spoiler wrote:I took it that Joong-ah died giving birth, and to Jae-bok, her memory lived on through her daughter. Maybe the point the writer's trying to bring across in the ending is that loving each other doesn't mean you have to be together physically.
il_mare wrote:Each character seemed to develop in isolation, and their relationships were not developing at all!
Actually, I thought the opposite. I felt that the relationships between the four characters were constantly developing, and by the end of the drama, each character had a unique relationship with each of the other three. At the same time, their relationships with one another were affected by each character's relationship with the rest. Essentially, the whole story is all about the relationships amongst these 4 people.

I agree with clouds421 that Kim Min-joon didn't fit the role of Jae-bok well, however I did find him very compatible with Lee Na-young. And I must mention that Lee Na-young plays unorthodox characters very well, judging from other dramas she's been in.

My conclusion is that Ireland is a not a drama for everyone. If you don't mind a lack of story development, bizarre conversations, weird characters & not being able to take things at face value, then watch it. If you do, watch it with an open mind, without expectations. It's almost impossible to compare it with any other drama, really. If you ask me, it's a series I definitely would watch again.

User avatar
clouds421
Reviewer
Reviewer
Posts: 83
Joined: Mar 16th, '04, 23:28
Contact:

Post by clouds421 » Jan 17th, '05, 20:33

Oh, wouldn't it would be great if there was some place to read writer or director's intentions. But if the majority of the audience doesn't get it, that says something about the work.

Well, I agree with Jannah that the characters seemed to be constantly developing in a drama that's not well-developed (oxymoron?) But I actually thought it was a "conclusive" ending. Usually I go into a drama, trying to see where they're going with it so initially (mostly from the title), I thought it was going to be about identity issues, family, or something like that, but I was completely wrong (that's why I think the title is a misnomer).

Speculations on the ending (maybe far-fetched 'cause there's really lots of possibilities):
What I noticed in the beginning was the use of space in the scenes on the streets. When in a normal shot, we only see the characters, completely centered upon them. But when they switched to a long shot, they only appear to be a small part of a living, peopled world; my attention was diverted to seeing to everything around them. The irony is that the characters feel that they are alone, but they're really not.

At the end, we revisit the familiar scene again, but it's completely isolated this time. A young Joong-ah is embracing Jae-book, while Shi-yeon embraces a young g**k. In Shi-yeon's case, she was the young woman who never had a youth, so g**k is the person who restores it in her. In Joong-ah's case, she experienced too quick of a transition from a idyllic upbringing to devastingly tragedy, so Jae-book is the person who brought that happy, carefree nature out of her again.

That sequence of scenes was as an expressive way to reveal those feelings. This theory could be supported by the interesting use of symbolism--green = Ireland? In the beginning, there's a green scarf meant to tie together; recall that Joong-ah said the scarf was stuffy, uncomfortable in the summer; in the end--there's a green balloon (weightless object) fleely released from young Joong-ah's hand...

User avatar
il_mare
Posts: 18
Joined: Jul 27th, '04, 12:32
Location: Hong Kong

Post by il_mare » Jan 19th, '05, 03:23

I think the character developed in isolation altho the relationship of the 4 did change in the end. How did they connect? How did they disengage? That part of the emotions was not well delivered. It was like each individual just felt a need to be together and then next thing change partner and gravitate to another without much reason.

And because of the dreamy and somewhat quirky nature, I felt it should have been a book, better read than watched. The emotions may be better conveyed that way versus leaving too many loopholes for the audience to ponder. And which explains why the audience had this sense that there was a lack of story development.

I agree too that KMJ was too cool and too good looking to be Jae-bok. And Lee Na-young was reprising that type of eccentric and quirky role that she is so good at. Hyun Bin looked to much like a kid next to LNY, but a credible effort. But the best performer is definitely the role of SH, another KMJ. Not very pretty but her multi-faceted performance totally embody the role of the foul mouth and vulnerable soft-porn star SH to perfection!

As for the ending, JA, g**k, and SH, were embracing the child in their partners and the child is discolored. Yet for JB, the child he embraced was the only one colored. Does it mean that JA, g**k and SH were comforting the past while as JB was the one embracing the future?

User avatar
clouds421
Reviewer
Reviewer
Posts: 83
Joined: Mar 16th, '04, 23:28
Contact:

Post by clouds421 » Jan 21st, '05, 08:10

il mare, that's a thought-provoking question. I was so falling asleep in class & suddenly I had a rush of thoughts after reading this, don't think I can write it all at once, may have to come back, lol. It was such a conscious decision by the director, but didn't even hit me.

From the way it ended, I think that intention might be unlikely to me, but hey, it's so open for interpretation. After I thought about it for a little bit, perhaps it just means that that last scene is from Joong-ah's point of view. I say this because young Joong-ah first appears at the beginning of the last episode, but she appears as one of Joong-ah's dream-like sequences.

I think there's more symoblism there with young Joong-ah "setting foot" in the wet cement as Joong-ah had. She's by herself w/ no g**k..

Something I also noticed, but couldn't figure out significance: repetition of hand imagery. The last one before the "story" ends is with Joong-ah & Jae-bok's hands extended--that image is created in a way very similar to the creation of Adam--not quite, but I find how their fingertips are drawn to each other very similar. I think it may be trying to suggest "giving life" to one another.

Then I remembered how they specifically heighened Shi-yeon's reactions to g**k's hands on her--at first it seemed like just a normal excitement, because she was developing a crush on him, but the director repeats the flashbacks showing g**k's holding her hand or comforting her with his hands. Very interesting...
About the characters, I totally know what you're talking about, but it may be a flaw more-so in the story. Near the ending episodes, g**k had the most character changes I've ever seen--he went from weak child trying to hold onto Joong-ah to borderline abusive, hitting her, to cold indifference... then all of a sudden, he realizes something (which I have no idea how), had this conversations to end all conversations with Joong, then they separated. Ok... but what beats me is he accepts Shi-yeon. I just didn't find it natural for feelings to be so... transitory.

User avatar
il_mare
Posts: 18
Joined: Jul 27th, '04, 12:32
Location: Hong Kong

Post by il_mare » Jan 21st, '05, 08:55

:lol :lol :lol ke ke ke :lol :lol :lol It's funny what you wrote!

cloud, I think maybe it's better to just forget about this kdrama and move on....I have so many questions on the transitions in the relationships that I had sleepless nights :crazy: :crazy: trying to figure whether I am dumb or decide it was just a bad production but everyone is trying to give reasons to like it becos the writer was such a reputable artist! :glare: :glare:

I agree that it was different....period! And it just ends there! And it did not help becos I am a big fan of KMJ and LNY...and thot HB was totally cute, and the female KMJ outstanding in her role! Yet could not bring myself to grade this as a "See it".....

But any ideas from anyone to this kdrama is much welcome as I really want to see what others think about it!

supadupahearn
Posts: 14
Joined: Nov 27th, '04, 20:13

Post by supadupahearn » Jan 26th, '05, 08:59

i havent gotten around to see but it seems that it aint really worth watching. any others that u might suggest instead?

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1438
Joined: Feb 21st, '04, 08:34
Location: East Bay
Contact:

Post by aNToK » Jan 29th, '05, 18:26

Hmm... interesting comments. Hopped on this one as soon as I finished ROYOW. Only about 20 minutes into it, and so far, all I can think of is, "Damn!!!! Lee Na Young has amazing eyes!!!!!!!"

Hey, I'm only 15 minutes into it! I'm sure I'll have other opinions later....

User avatar
Jannah
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber
Posts: 936
Joined: May 13th, '04, 06:25
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by Jannah » Jan 30th, '05, 00:11

aNToK wrote:Hmm... interesting comments. Hopped on this one as soon as I finished ROYOW. Only about 20 minutes into it, and so far, all I can think of is, "Damn!!!! Lee Na Young has amazing eyes!!!!!!!"
:lol I agree. Her eyes are like wells.
Last edited by Jannah on Feb 16th, '05, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
clouds421
Reviewer
Reviewer
Posts: 83
Joined: Mar 16th, '04, 23:28
Contact:

Post by clouds421 » Feb 16th, '05, 11:35

Maybe this is a little late, but here's the shot:
Image

I actually liked Ireland & found it better than ROYOW--and I never really understood the popularity of Ruler. It's been a while since I've seen it, but generally I found the characters lacking the appeal that Ireland's have. They just go about doing things they want to do without thinking of others. As bad as Jae-bok treats his step-father or intimidates kids into giving him money or basically freeloads off a "semi-porn star," he's likeable--I find it so touching when he tells Gok, that he wants to learn to be like him, a "good" man yet it's so ironic that the woman Gok loves likes him. Alright, I'm going off on a tangent, but what I'm trying to say is that one of the things I've always believed is that although a likeable character doesn't have to be a outright hero, he/she should have some heroic quality/did some heroic deed, and I don't see that in Ruler's characters. Now that should spark some discussion... what do you think? What appeals to you or turns you off in Ireland or even going off in ROYOW--due to the responses I've seen, I feel like I need to re-evaluate it or something, but just haven't found the incentive--that I'll be getting more out of it 2nd time 'round.

User avatar
il_mare
Posts: 18
Joined: Jul 27th, '04, 12:32
Location: Hong Kong

Post by il_mare » Feb 16th, '05, 12:27

clouds421 wrote:Maybe this is a little late, but here's the shot:
Image

I actually liked Ireland & found it better than ROYOW--and I never really understood the popularity of Ruler. It's been a while since I've seen it, but generally I found the characters lacking the appeal that Ireland's have. They just go about doing things they want to do without thinking of others. As bad as Jae-bok treats his step-father or intimidates kids into giving him money or basically freeloads off a "semi-porn star," he's likeable--I find it so touching when he tells Gok, that he wants to learn to be like him, a "good" man yet it's so ironic that the woman Gok loves likes him. Alright, I'm going off on a tangent, but what I'm trying to say is that one of the things I've always believed is that although a likeable character doesn't have to be a outright hero, he/she should have some heroic quality/did some heroic deed, and I don't see that in Ruler's characters. Now that should spark some discussion... what do you think? What appeals to you or turns you off in Ireland or even going off in ROYOW--due to the responses I've seen, I feel like I need to re-evaluate it or something, but just haven't found the incentive--that I'll be getting more out of it 2nd time 'round.
Actually I found BOTH too abstract for my liking. I have similar :blink :blink in terms of how the leads hook up in BOTH story. I could not understand the attraction JA had for JB, neither can I comprehend Boksu and Kyung's union.

But I beg to differ abt the characters in ROYOW lacking in heroic qualities. Boksu did try to redeem for his sins by admiting to Junior's crime, and the way he tries to protect his pathetic mother from all her loser boyfriends. And Mr Han despite his petty nature helped to get Boksu out of prison. Not heroes! But definintely displayed some heroic qualities.

Problem with Ireland is that I did not even understand the entire story to even link it up coherently. So can't even compare both. At least I understand ROYOW, whether I like it is a completely different story. Oh BTW, I read an interesting interpretation on the ending in soompi.
credit tapioca@soompi.com
Those kids that appear at the end were just metaphors of where they came from and the soulmates in their life. None of the kids are real they just represent the 4 main characters innocence - I guess. The ending implies that Joungah and Jae Bok are not together though it is partially open to the imagination. The narration said little Joungah is finally walk around this earth - shows that Joungah has finally become sane (can stand alone), focusing on the birth of her child. Jae Bok is now a decent human being - no longer the bum - studying to maybe become a doctor. Kang Kook confesses he likes ShiYeon so there together.

I wish the story was different starting from where Jae Bok had his car accident in episode 12 - after that I thought it was starting to get tiresome. I hated the scene that Joongah said she realized she only liked one man (meaning not Kang Kook) to Kang Kook's face. After that I really depised her character and so I wasn't happy - not a feel good ending. I like Kim Min Jung as an actress but I hated her character. Shiyeon was so whiny than I didn't think she deserved Kang Kook. I think it would've been better if they didn't have Kang Kook actually tell her he liked her because then the ending would be less finalizes and open to the imagination.

Clarification:

I'm pretty sure the scarf's meaning didn't reference Song of Solomon but instead that Korean folktale of the Woodcutter. Where, a lonely woodcutter happens to stumble upon heavenly maidens bathing and steals one of their wings so she can't fly back to Heaven. He marries her and though he was warned not to show her the wings before they have 4 children, after 3 only children he feels guilty and shows her the wings. She does not hesistant to fly away - with a child in each arm and one between her legs. And the woodcutter is left all alone once again.

User avatar
Jannah
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber
Posts: 936
Joined: May 13th, '04, 06:25
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by Jannah » Feb 16th, '05, 13:04

I watched Ireland before watching ROYOW, and I think it's quite difficult to compare the two even though the scriptwriter was the same person. Each one appealed to me in different ways. I liked ROYOW's characters for their realistic imperfection & the fact that I could see bits of myself in each one of them. Ireland's characters were as imperfect, but I liked them mainly because they were so unorthodox. I've never met characters like those in Ireland before, and they really fascinated me. And while Ireland is a drama I can watch several times & come away with something new every time, ROYOW is one which I can watch at a comfortable pace over a few weeks, episode by episode, but one I won't likely watch again. If I were to simply consider ROYOW & Ireland as two drama series, I'd say I prefer Ireland, just because it's so one-of-a-kind & has this strange, fascinating appeal about it. I found ROYOW rather forgettable even though I did relate to the characters.
clouds421 wrote:As bad as Jae-bok treats his step-father or intimidates kids into giving him money or basically freeloads off a "semi-porn star," he's likeable--I find it so touching when he tells Gok, that he wants to learn to be like him, a "good" man yet it's so ironic that the woman Gok loves likes him.
I totally agree with that. Early in the drama, I didn't particularly like Jae-bok & Shi-yeon, but at the end I emphatised with them the most. g**k & Joong-ah were hot-and-cold characters; I couldn't really figure them out.

User avatar
clouds421
Reviewer
Reviewer
Posts: 83
Joined: Mar 16th, '04, 23:28
Contact:

Post by clouds421 » Feb 17th, '05, 08:02

Fair enough comments on ROYOW. Tapioca's interpretation is really interesting. What do you say to something like that? I buy it & that reference to the folktale--I'm fascinated. Should visit soomi more often, but hard to navigate when the threads race by you & you can't use the search function :lol

kimmie_ai_ni4
Posts: 163
Joined: Apr 21st, '05, 18:40
Location: chicago ILL

Post by kimmie_ai_ni4 » Aug 1st, '05, 04:47

i lyk g**k :wub: and shi yeon's character /scene's better dan jae bok and joon ah's .... jae bok and joon ahs character der really pisses me off.....but i luv da way hyun bin :wub: :wub: acting in dis series..... but its knda hard to understand....since some of da subs arent in it/. ,but it was kool........ it can be very dragging though
over all i liked it soo its a much watch........ luv hyun bin...... :wub:

User avatar
st_heaven
Posts: 81
Joined: Nov 25th, '04, 17:00
Location: South-East Asia

Post by st_heaven » Aug 9th, '05, 17:10

Does anyone has subtitles for this drama??
I can't online during weekends(uhh, parents), so i can't download the subs from http://ireland.wo.to ... :cry:

User avatar
chrysanthemum
Posts: 68
Joined: Mar 6th, '04, 03:47
Location: California

Post by chrysanthemum » Nov 21st, '05, 23:36

Interesting. The ending really leaves you wondering, so it was interesting to read everyone else's ideas. These are my own ideas...

I think the children in the last episode represented a purer form of each person's soul. Although people change over time, they also tend to stay essentially the same, so the children merely represented the people as they were naturally, before all of the hard times. So basically, from that, g**k and Shi-yeon end up together... because g**k is comforting Shi-yeon's child and Shi-yeon is comforting g**k's child.

But Jae Bok is comforting his own child... meaning that he has come to better understanding of himself and will be able to come to terms with his handicap.

So where is the adult Joong-ah and who is she comforting? I think she died in childbirth. I thought is was odd that there was such a flurry of surgeons. It looked more like an operation than a natural childbirth, at the very least. So why would I think she died instead of giving birth successfully by C-section?

At the end, Jae Bok comes to comfort the child Joong-ah... the only child in color. She has "returned" to her original state... moved beyond the pain and suffering... gone to heaven, etc. And this idea is even more evidenced at the end when the balloon she was holding escapes into the air. When I first watched it, I thought the balloon was symbolic of suffering and that having it fly away was symbolic of how Joong-ah's sufferings were the same type of sufferings shared by others around the world. Kind of like some message to the audience... "Everyone's sufferings are the same." But later I thought it was probably an even simpler message. She has released her suffering, because she's no longer here in this world.


Can't wait to here what someone thinks of this interpretation since I've been pondering the ending of Ireland for a couple of months now... not continually, of course!

User avatar
lt23
Posts: 8
Joined: Nov 20th, '05, 04:39
Location: Portland, OR

Post by lt23 » Nov 29th, '05, 19:35

My obsession with LNY has led me to scour the Internet for interpretations of the ending of Ireland ... And this is the best one that I found:

"Island (hidden title for Ireland)
4 characters have been isolated in an island of their own and they finally opened the door. They had been afraid and wanted to shut the door tight to the outside world. But they finally made their first steps into the world.

4 children: Joong-ah, Jae-bok, Si-yeon, and Kook
Images of them are their selves (egos). Each one of the 4 characters lost his/her self (ego) when young and grew up without it. The images of their youth reflect on them now. When they approach them and extend hands to their selves, children disappear.
Adults Joong-ah, Jae-bok, Si-yeon, and Kook extend hand to their own youth, but children disappear because they know how much it hurts to heal on their own and because they might go right back to their own islands.

Then later on in Episode 16 Joong-ah extends hand to little Jae-bok, Kook to little Siy-eon, Si-yeon to little Kook, and Jae-bok to little Joong-ah:

Adult Joong-ah to 6 years-old Jae-bok who has just lost her sister and isolated himself to the world since then;
Adult Kook to little Siy-eon who wears a crown and a white dress who has lost herself because she keeps thinking about her short time of fame since then;
Si-yeon to little Kook who has just lost his parents and became an orphan;
Jae-bok to little Joong-ah who were abandoned by her family and motherland. She then gains herself (ego) when she finds a new family in Ireland but loses it again when all of his family members got killed. By holding hands to each other, they not only find their own egos but help the others find theirs.

Therefore,
Joong-ah lifts Jae-bok who has been isolating himself to world and who could not get up on his own (Jae-bok keeps hurting his legs);
Jae-bok accepts and embraces Joong-ah’s pains and fears unconditionally
(Joong-ah keeps hurting her head … mentally);
Kook also lifts Si-yeon who has embarrassing scars and pains
(Si-yeon also keeps hurting her legs);
And Si-yeon embraces Kook’s head with her heart. Kook has been
obsessed to live a square life because he has been an orphan.
(Kook hurt his head also).

These 4 characters finally escape from their own isolated island and
start communicating."


Other issues worthy of discussion (haha):

- I think mini-Joong-ah is in color because her pain is quite recent in comparison to the others. She was basically a "wandering" child again when she returned to SK from Ireland.

- But I do agree that there's a possibility that Joong-ah died while giving birth because a dressed, "skinnier" Joong-ah walks past the delivery room while talking about being "dirt" ... With clips of Jae-bok driving through the rain to possibly see Joong-ah at the hospital ... I think it's a strong possibility ... But In Jung Ok probably decided not to dive fully into it 'cause Ireland was freaking sad enuf ... Killing off LNY would make all her fans literally commit emotional suicide.


- I understand why most people did not enjoy this series. Most people watch Asian dramas to temporarily escape from the pains of their lives, not gain more (in the head from trying to interpret it haha) ... So, most people, including myself, embrace the cheese, the humor, and the crazily good looks of let's say ... A "Full House" ... Even if the elements are repetitive (slapping, sassniness, luv squares ... Gotta luv 'em.). And there's always that argument that why bother making a drama that barely anyone can embrace when the whole purpose of dramas in Korea is to get ratings?

BUT I believe drama fans should embrace shows like Ireland because it opens the door for new possibilities. Instead of just being stereotypical lovefests/cryfests, dramas are now more like movies ... Capable of being popular phenoms AND now arthouse fare ... Thanks to ex-sociologist In Jung Ok's efforts ... And the support of the well-read LNY ... Who could've easily dropped a "Full House" on y'all ... But again chooses to tackle the harder material. But I digress 'cause I'm biased and in luv haha ...

All in all ... Part of me wanted Ireland to be more "eventful" plot-wise ... After Episode 10's revelations, things did die a bit ... But I've come to see the beauty of Epsidoes 11-16 ... And their profound effect in making ME feel isolated as I watched them ... And how In Jung Ok has once again taught us about different types of luv, just like in ROYOW. All of us as we get older need to transition from old g**k luv to new g**k luv ... Or should I say from "Full House" to "Ireland"? Haha, ok I'm done ... Now, I'm being too abstract ......

Paris11
Posts: 1
Joined: Jun 18th, '06, 06:15

Post by Paris11 » Jun 18th, '06, 06:33

sounds like an interesting series....I really like Kim Min Joon's actiong so gonna have to see it :D

doesn't any know the viet title of this series?

i would download this through this site but it takes me forever to do it through bittorrent :crazy:

knuts
Posts: 273
Joined: Aug 13th, '05, 20:43

Post by knuts » Aug 28th, '06, 21:47

I have enjoyed this drama very much, inspite of some very negative reviews. Though, I must say, iIt was my second attempt to watch this drama.
Give it a try, but only, If you are looking for something Korean and different than the usual k-drama's. Happy watching.

aaadramavr
Posts: 129
Joined: May 23rd, '06, 04:58

Post by aaadramavr » Aug 15th, '07, 00:11

I see that people are still downloading this series. It is well worth watching if one is not looking for something light and fluffy that is quickly forgotten. As others have said this is a K-Drama that requires a lot of thought. I dl and watched about a year ago and watched it a couple of times...and re-played and replayed all my favorite scenes with Kook and Si-yeon. If it is still memorable after watching a many many other dramas then I would definitely say it was worth devoting thie time to watch it. It draws you in. We see each of the main characters develop into stronger more mentally and emotionally secure people compared to the beginning.
the scene where Kook acting as body guard for Si-yeon helped her and supported as he would any other star and how Si-yeon said that simple guesture made her feel like she was worth something was so touching. Kook the protector was then protected by Si-yeon when she used her bare hand to stop a stalker from killing Kook... ah well those are the kind of scenes that will remain in memory.

elit
Posts: 2
Joined: Aug 28th, '09, 15:45

Post by elit » May 19th, '10, 06:52

Read all comments there make me happy because they prove my feeling from Ireland is correct. Difference from books and movies is, you build your own imagine in books for every person, in movies you get it from actors. Ireland is more like book. If you check comments they are so different and every have his own understand for Ireland. Its was main idea.

For me Ireland is with "happy end". Every from characters grow, change and become stronger. Story is not linear but real life is not too. You cant expect from this tape of movie to have normal set end like all other dramas but if you open your eyes to see not only main characters (Kang g**k and Hotel president dialog/monologue;Shi-yeon and his talk with mother,and few other) you will get better understand. Love won, family won, friendship wont, life continue and wont be easy.

This drama is hard for understand because its like real life....never only black or white, but don't matter what happen you need to keep going.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest