Total votes: 43

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Ruler Of Your Own World (MBC, 2002)

Post by aNToK » Jan 29th, '05, 03:33

momentai

Post by momentai » Jan 29th, '05, 07:49

Ruler of Your Own World is one of the best kdramas I have ever had the pleasure of watching. It certainly is not your stereotypical drama. It does not really tend to the often used cliches that hang around glamorized dramas. It is gritty and down to earth which, I believe, makes it so much easier to connect to.

These aren't people that you have to try and picture in real life - they are there around you already. There are no wild and crazy situations you have to imagine to make them fit. I think that's what I like about this drama best. They are real people in every sense of the word.

To me, at least, it's refreshing to see a male lead play a character that exhibits a little bit of the "jerk" persona (that is prevalent in a lot of the dramas I've seen) without resorting to removing him too greatly of his redeeming qualities. IMO, two characters come to mind in this description.

1) Min-chul in Beautiful Days carries around an arrogant, selfish persona most of the drama when not interacting with his sister.

2)Kyung Min in Attic Cat which shows Kim Rae Won as childish and selfish.

Ko Boksu is indeed childish in this drama and at times selfish but throughout the drama, he shows how pure of heart he is. Chun Kyung says that his heart is the part that drew him towards her first and foremost. We can forgive his misgivings not because he is "pretty boy" but because he is a real and imperfect being. (This is one of the reasons I loathe Attic Cat for Kyung Min's character alone. I find people enamored with his character simply because of the appeal of Kim Rae Won the actor)

The female leads are equally strong to serve as a counterbalance. Lee Na Young shows Chun Kyung as a flawed figure. She dresses strangely and is pretty well closed off from exhibiting her emotions unless pressed. But as we see the story progess, we see her open up to show her feelings towards Ko Boksu that we can't help but smile at their meetings.

Mirae does not fit the stereotypical bad girl figure. Yes, she's a little bit arrogant and mean-tempered at times but we know she cares. When we see her, we don't necessarily hate her character. She yells, is overbearing, and insults the female lead - Kyung. But we don't necessarily hate her because at the same time, we see her relationship with her sister and her devotion to Boksu.

I love this drama. As aNToK put it best, this drama is not an attention grabber but it stays with you. Its heart lies in its characters and their progession; it doesn't rely on the disease to tell the story. The disease is merely a tool used to show how lives are shaped of the people involved.
spoiler wrote:
If there's anything about this drama that irked me was the direction of the writing during the trip outside of Seoul. There was far too much fighting and jousting between the two without the tenderness we've seen throughout. It hurt the flow for me and seemed out of place. I don't know. Was that just me?

momentai

Post by momentai » Jan 29th, '05, 07:50

n/m

knuts

Post by knuts » Nov 4th, '05, 17:32

What do you mean by "n/m"?

Just finished watching. I agree this is a very good serie. But can't remember male lead being selfish and childish? When was that? By the way, I do not quite agree with what you wrote in your spoiler. Would it otherwise not be too sweet and therefore unrealistic?

knuts

Post by knuts » Nov 4th, '05, 17:32

What do you mean by "n/m"?

Just finished watching. I agree this is a very good serie. But can't remember male lead being selfish and childish? When was that? By the way, I do not quite agree with what you wrote in your spoiler. Would it otherwise not be too sweet and unrealistic?

startreklunchbox

Post by startreklunchbox » Nov 5th, '05, 04:46

can someone plese write what happens at the very end of the series.i fell asleep both times thay played it on tv(it was late).thank you for your time.
I saw up to the part where she starts to flashback on the memories of both of em. i missed what happens right after this.thanks
and can someone please seed the royow ost. its stuck at 84.6. thanks.

knuts

Post by knuts » Nov 16th, '05, 09:16

startreklunchbox:

This is what happens at the end:

Did you see the part when the monitor in the operation room shows that some rate starts to drop? Anyway, I think after the flashbacks, he is wheeled out of the OR lying on this thing ( sorry, I don't what is called). His head is all wrapped up. Then the camera goes to her face. She look very worried and then slowly start to smile. Ending.

So, I suppose, it is a happy ending, don't you think so? Not very very clear to me.

lt23

Post by lt23 » Dec 7th, '05, 09:52

I don't know if anyone still cares about this drama anymore ... But I rewatch Lee Na-Young dramas in between downloads ... And I just rewatched Episode 18 of ROYOW ... And it's amazing ... One of the best of the series (if not #1) ... And since none of my Rain-worshipping friends have been successfully forced by me to watch ROYOW (yet teehee) ... Allow me to gush, and ask a question on this episode ... To nobody haha. :-)
1) I think Episode 18 is a culmination of all the issues and growth between Kyung and Bok-Su ... The embracing of the dirty of life and luv ... The understanding that they have to let each grow by themselves, and not force growth a la Mi-Rae ... The acceptance of cancer w/o letting it come between their joy ... The awkwardness of taking their relationship to the "next level" ... And especially the major setback in hope and strength in Bok-Su after his father's death.

All these little and big issues between Kyung and Bok-Su began brewing since Episode 14 ... But they were barely tapped ... Due to all the distractions in their lives: family, friends, careers, etc.

That's why I think it's BEAUTIFUL how In-Jung Ok took 'em outta Seoul for one day (and almost an entire episode) so that the audience can refocus on the meat of the series: the luv between Kyung and Bok-Su ... 'Cause the truth is, if u really think about it and take out all the cute cigarette/canned coffee mumbo jumbo (which I luv I'm just sayin' haha), Kyung and Bok-Su never got a chance to really, really know each other until they spent that day together ... And it was wonderful ... Adventure in the Korean countryside one can only dream of ... Realistic long-term couple fights ... Shtuff u just don't see in most Asian dramas ... Period.

2) Another beautiful thing about the episode is how it encapsulated married life in one day ... Which was necessary due to Bok-Su's cancer ... It had all the marriage elements: disappointment, "losing points," fights over little things like where to eat, the wife searching and longing for something, the husband just wanting to sleep, and all the interesting side characters along the way that teach them little life lessons (Each person they meet symbolize a potential phase in their lives as well, but I digress haha.) ... ALL IN ONE DAY. In-Jung Ok decided to reward the audience and Kyung and Bok-Su with a short time of romantic bliss/frustration before reality strikes in the final two episodes ... Wonderful.

3) I luv it when the Incompletion play, and Episode 18 ended with the series' only appearnce of 3rd Line Butterfly's "Kwang" ... Epic.

4) Finally, I dig artsy symbolism, and Epsidoes 17 and 18 were full of In-Jung Ok's fascination with sociological symbols. I understood the hand in the middle of the sea (I can write a 10-page research paper on that one, so don't get me started.) ... And the first time they couldn't find each other in Episode 17 ... But what about the 2nd in Episode 18? The one in the confusing, maze-like small town ... With the little girl on harmonica. Help on this would be much appreciated ... 'Cause I have 3 crappy theories:

i. In-Jung Ok got lost in a small town once and thought it was a cool symbol of the "paths of life" ... And how young people take the wrong path many times before finding the right one to the "prize." She made Kyung and Bok-Su talk on the phone and miss each other barely as a symbol of how young city Asians talk on the phone too much, or live life at too fast a pace to notice that what they're looking for is right there if they looked up or "just around the corner" ... Where Kyung and Bok-Su eventually did find each other.

ii. The 2nd time of trying to find each other started 'cause Kyung and Bok-Su weren't on the same page ... Which symbolizes their relationship throughout the show (i.e., they weren't on the same page on what to do about their relationship, Bok-Su stealing, not playing mind games and telling each other everything) ... And how it was a struggle but they overcame it ... And now understand each other or "found each other" so to speak.

iii. It's not symbolic at all ... I'm thinking way too into what is still technically an Asian "soap opera" ... This ain't Kubrick, yoh ... It's just a cool scene that gives u the feeling of being in a small town, especially with the harmonica in the background. *Sigh, alas, this may be the jackpot hehe.
Any other insights? Or have peope really moved on to A Love to Kill?

In my opinion, all that shtuff is fun and entertaining, but only shows like ROYOW are truly "life-altering." Peace! :thumleft:

Post by 60610 » Dec 9th, '05, 01:24

Where do i download this series? I try searching and can not find it.

lt23

Post by lt23 » Dec 9th, '05, 01:40

It's definitely here, in the d-addicts.com torrents ... And it looks like there's a decent # o' seeders ... Not as much as MNIKSS 'cause this show is from '02 and not designed for teenage girls ... But enuf. Haha, I'm not bitter. :glare:

Poochy

Post by Poochy » Dec 9th, '05, 02:47

lt23 wrote:It's definitely here, in the d-addicts.com torrents ... And it looks like there's a decent # o' seeders ...
The website shows no seeders for eps 7-20 :(.

lt23

Post by lt23 » Dec 9th, '05, 02:57

For low-qual ones, try here on the weekends ... But even that place closes in December ... Hmmm, that's depressing ... 'Cause this is my fave K-drama OF ALL-TIME ... And I wanna keep it alive teehee. Perhaps I should digi my DVD's and become a seeder ... Hmmm, perhaps ... I shall monitor the seeders closely (and see how selfish I am when it comes to bandwidth) ...

Or perhaps it's time for me to let go of the dream ....... The dream of people actually liking this show more than Full House .......... *sigh ... really, i'm not bitter ......

daalig

Post by daalig » Dec 9th, '05, 03:18

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/torrents ... +all&sort=

600 MPG Hard Subs have seeds. Quality? I have no idea. But going to download an episode some time soon.

Really looking forward to watching this drama, also a Lee Na-Young fan, loved her in Ireland. And since Ireland and ROYOW has the same scriptwriter, i'm sure this will be one of my favourites. Just wish I could be watching it now.

Yoda

Post by Yoda » Dec 9th, '05, 03:33

The flow of the drama is flawless to me. It was very well executed throughout the whole drama. This drama don't bring your excitement to a new height only to bring you down to a low point like some dramas that I have watched. I could repeatedly watch any episodes and enjoyed each one of them. It says a lot about all the actors and actresses in it that makes the drama fun to watch; besides the 3 main characters that really bring the drama alive.

lt23

Post by lt23 » Dec 9th, '05, 04:17

600 MPG Hard Subs have seeds. Quality? I have no idea. But going to download an episode some time soon.
AWESOME! The dream of dethroning Full House is still alive ... Just on a respirator haha ...
Really looking forward to watching this drama, also a Lee Na-Young fan, loved her in Ireland. And since Ireland and ROYOW has the same scriptwriter, i'm sure this will be one of my favourites.
If u like Ireland, then u'd definitely like ROYOW ... 'Cause Ireland is basically ROYOW on crack haha ... The success of ROYOW gave the screenwriter many creative liberties I think ... Liberties I enjoyed but I don't think appealed to most ... Liberties even I think she took a tad too far ... Too many "down" (i.e., sad) episodes, uknow? While still having Ireland's symbolism and "life is dirty" theme, ROYOW is much more "up"! :D
The flow of the drama is flawless to me. It was very well executed throughout the whole drama. This drama don't bring your excitement to a new height only to bring you down to a low point like some dramas that I have watched. I could repeatedly watch any episodes and enjoyed each one of them.
First of all, any fellow Asian-American with a LNY avatar is a friend in my book. Hello ... Friend! There's surprisingly not many of us here (more LNY luvers at the motherland haha).

But I couldn't agree more ... My "friends" (ex-friends haha) bashed it for its slower pace ... But it was real! NATURAL! And I constantly rave about how ROYOW's one of the few K-dramas without too many cheesy cliffs ... Only around 3-4 force, contrived cliffhangers ... Compared to 16/16 or 20/20 unnatural cliffs in almost every other series. Again, my "acquaintances" just stare at me blankly when I say that ...... haha ...
It says a lot about all the actors and actresses in it that makes the drama fun to watch; besides the 3 main characters that really bring the drama alive.
Again, totally agree ... And I could give all worshipping praise to LNY ... But allow me to take a minute of this discussion to praise MI-RAE ... Is there a more likable luv trinagle "beotch" than Mi-Rae? She GREW with the characters; she became FRIENDS with the female lead ... And we empathize for her smothering ways ... She just cares ... Just too much ... We will NEVER see a more likable 2nd girl in a K-drama ever again ... And all credit belong to Gong Hyo Jin for acting her skinny @$$ off ...

Ok, again, I'm gushing 'bout this show ... I can't help it ... U guys got me started and ... Ok, I'll stop now ........ :D

vangpire

Post by vangpire » Dec 22nd, '05, 03:56

are they any subs for this drama? I know that its old but since everyone seems to love it so much, I'm interested in watching it.

ilovebinderclips

Post by ilovebinderclips » Mar 16th, '06, 05:52

What do people think about the ending??? Do you think it's happy?

I understand why writers love ambiguous endings, but still....

quiksilver

Post by quiksilver » Mar 16th, '06, 06:12

ive heard its really good i just hope theres enuf seeds for me to download!

javi

Post by javi » Mar 19th, '06, 14:24

I really like Ruler of your own world. What i like most of this drama is probably Mirae, the character played by Gong Hyo Jin. You know, usually in a love triangle you don't like the 'evil' girl or guy, but it's different here.
At first she's too addicted to Boksu but she changes slowly and gets stronger to get over him and even his death
Mr. Han is funny too.

beertax

Post by beertax » Feb 23rd, '07, 06:50

ilovebinderclips wrote:What do people think about the ending??? Do you think it's happy?

I understand why writers love ambiguous endings, but still....
Since she smiles in the very last moment, I think we can be sure of at least one thing... that Boksu survives the operation. All she wanted was for him to live.

I agree with the majority of posters in this thread. It is now Feb 23rd of 2007, and IMHO, ROYOW is the best kdrama since "Hourglass" (is this the right translation?), and much better paced. Some excellent series have appeared since ROYOW ended in 2002, such as A Love to Kill, Fantasy Couple, All In and... well I guess arguably there are others, but ROYOW is just on another plane of existence. It shows you that what makes a series good is not just how hot the main leads are, or how much they spent on the sets, but rather how well the actors ACT and how well the witer WRITE.

PS: They sell the official, english-subtitled boxset version of ROYOW on ebay and yesasia.com for 49.99. I almost always download stuff or watch them off of their official sites for a monthly fee, but I purchased the dvd boxset to support this drama and loan it out to some friends. If you can afford to, please do the same and let's keep this cult alive :)

Hitokiri_Johndoesai

Post by Hitokiri_Johndoesai » Oct 15th, '07, 10:16

I was curious about this show and downloaded it, but I'm missing Episode 8. Could anyone give a summary of Episode 8 or post the translation here. (Or you could just PM me, it's still ok.)

KrystalHeart

Post by KrystalHeart » Oct 21st, '07, 03:12

Still one of my favorites!!!!

http://www.krystalheart.com/royow

Hikaru Kazushime

Post by Hikaru Kazushime » Oct 22nd, '07, 22:13

Hello everyone. I am brand new to this forum. I happened upon here by looking up some ROYOW stuff on the net. I am complete love with the series! I started watching it while it was on tv when I was 15. It came on twice a day, once at 1:00pm and second at 3:00am. I usually would try to never miss it! Even a rerun! lol. Sometimes if I did, i would wait till 3:00am!
:D I started out on episode 4 I think. I watched them all till episode 18. So I never was able to finish it, because I when I missed episode 19 and 20, right after that they took it off the chanel and put another Kdrama on called "Phoenix", which was alright but I love ROYOW alot more lol. So that's my beginning story to my addiction to the series. You don't know how upset I was when I found out it was gone. Back then I didn't have a computer, so I knew nothing about ordering it online lol! I was so upset I wrote down all the characters names from memory, and about the story plot, promising myself I would never forget the names on that paper. rotflmao. So late last year, my friend Harumi and I were talking about K drama. I told her of the legendary one I had in my mind (practically the only one i am so loyal to) and how my life would be almost complete if I could even find a picture of one of the characters online. So she sent me a link to yesasia where I could buy it. I was overjoyed, and my mom got me it for christmas this last year. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

So for some idiotic reason I have wasted almost this whole long incredibly busy year, and have decided to restart the whole series from 1-20! ^_^
I am currently on episode 7 now. <33333 royow so so much

So, now here is the really big thingy I was wondering.
Does anyone like, have heard/seen, the soundtrack to the series!?
I love the soundtrack its so cool. Does one even exist?
Who does the main theme songs?
Anyone know? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Hitokiri_Johndoesai

Post by Hitokiri_Johndoesai » Nov 2nd, '07, 22:03

I just finished watching the show and there are two things to say:

1) Royow is the best K-Drama I watched so far and will have a very special place in the history of K-Dramas.

2) The soundtrack rocks! I give at least %20 of the credit for the success to the soundtrack.

Enough said. Now go and watch it and listen to the soundtrack.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Nov 3rd, '07, 12:42

Is ROYOW really that good? Almost everyone who has seen it speaks highly of it, yet I'm reluctant to give it a try due to it's rather bland premise. Not exactly my favorite cast either....

Hitokiri_Johndoesai

Post by Hitokiri_Johndoesai » Nov 3rd, '07, 12:48

There are no eye-candy girls or handsome guys, but there is a perfect story and excellent acting. Put an incredible soundtrack on top of that and that's it. There are no breathttaking twist and turns in the story, it's just everyday life of average people. But as everyone who watched the series says, it's not just a "Must watch", it's "Life altering".

Hikaru Kazushime

Post by Hikaru Kazushime » Nov 8th, '07, 08:35

Does anyone know anything about the soundtrack? I would REALLY like to find it if it is available or at least know who worked on it, or any info at all...its so catchy lol the main themes and all. ^_^
Anyone have any favorite characters? I think Han is one of mine, just because he cracks me up at certain times, Boksu is awesome of course, and Kyung is too. I think another one of my all time favorites from this series alot of people may overlook, is the Action School Director!! He is so funny most of the time, he is one of my most favorites!

Hitokiri_Johndoesai

Post by Hitokiri_Johndoesai » Nov 8th, '07, 12:24

Soundtrack listing:

01. Two Face - Lee Hyun Wook
02. Mul Gi Man Han Sarang - Lee Hyun Wook
03. Melodrama (Original Ver.) - Link
04. Melodrama (Drama Ver.) - Link
05. Seul Peum Sok Eh Geu Dael Ji Wo Ya Man Hae - JM
06. Ma Ji Mak Boo Tak - Lee Hyun Wook
07. Memory (Rock Verse) - Lee Hyun Wook
08. Memory (House Verse) - Lee Hyun Wook
09. Ggoom Eul Ggoon Hoo Eh (Instrumental)
10. Ggoom Eul Ggoon Hoo Eh (Scat Verse) - Lee Hyun Wook
11. Ggoom Eul Ggoon Hoo Eh (Violin Verse)
12. Let's Rock - Part 1.2.3 (Instrumental)
13. Two Face (New Verse) - Lee Hyun Wook

And there is this "3rd line Butterfly" band. You should look for their albums too.

sandollim

royow ost for download

Post by sandollim » Mar 2nd, '08, 01:01

now im uploading the ost file (.zip) on my ftp account.
it will be done in 12 mins or more proly.

two folders in the zip file: 3rd line butterfly's n normal ost songs
u can download at >> http://www.sandollim.com/pds/royow.zip

remember, the day-traffic limit is 1gb.

sandollim@gmail.com

Hitokiri_Johndoesai

Post by Hitokiri_Johndoesai » Mar 2nd, '08, 12:09

I was looking for the 3rd Line Butterfly part of the OST for a loooong time. Thank you so much!

sandollim

my favorites from among 3rd line butterfly's

Post by sandollim » Mar 4th, '08, 18:38

안녕 나의 눈부신 비행기 - hello my dazzling airplane
걷기만 하네 - just keep walking
광합성 - photosynthesis
그녀에게 - to her
꿈꾸는 나비 - dreaming butterfly
비단사슴 - fairy deer
사랑은 어디에 - where is the love
스물 아홉, 문득 - twenty nine, suddenly
Last edited by sandollim on Mar 26th, '17, 09:51, edited 4 times in total.

beertax

Post by beertax » Mar 4th, '08, 21:50

I'm glad that some ppl still remember ROYOW. This is by far my favorite kdrama thru 2008. It's a crying shame that more ppl aren't watching this. Not nuff hawt actors and actresses I guess...

Anyway see it and enjoy it!

kamui_killa

Post by kamui_killa » Apr 3rd, '08, 01:36

i loved this show so much I bought the whole series when it went to DVD. One of the best Korean dramas I've seen. I still like to go back and watch it even though I've seen it dozens of times over.

Question though. What is name of the ring tone that they use because I've been trying to look for it for some time now and had zero luck in finding it. Anybody have it or know where to get it.

beertax

Post by beertax » Apr 4th, '08, 04:07

what ring tone which episode?

kamui_killa

Post by kamui_killa » Apr 8th, '08, 17:28

beertax wrote:what ring tone which episode?
the ring tone from Ep 5 where Chun Kyung calls Bok-Su to tell him about Mi-Rae being in the hospital. it's 26:54 - 27:00 is the time it appears.

beertax

Post by beertax » Apr 8th, '08, 20:22

huh? Isn't that the default ring tone? I thought all phones had them.

Sorry coudln't be of more help.

kamui_killa

Post by kamui_killa » Apr 8th, '08, 22:37

It might be a default for some phones. O well thanks anyways :D

sl7988a

Post by sl7988a » May 25th, '08, 22:04

is there anyone that can seed the hardsubs? :(

aznguy808

Post by aznguy808 » May 26th, '08, 00:54

can anyone seed the hard subbed ones (the ROYOW ones)

thanks

albertjlee

Post by albertjlee » Jun 6th, '08, 19:09

I agree with everyone, this is my favorite drama of all time.

Das_Phantom

Post by Das_Phantom » Aug 16th, '09, 00:25

I've only see a few Korean dramas, but this is definitely my fav drama(and only second behind Kisarazu Cat's Eye for overall dramas).

The two lead characters pulled off an amazing performance. Ko Bok-Su was such a kind hearted guy, he cared about everyone around him and his good nature made me smile all the time. Also loved the way he got excited over his relationship. Kyung was so cute, my fav actress so far lol and she really cared for Ko Bok- Su. It has a tragic plot like 'Thank You', but that doesn't take great importance, it just mainly focuses on Ko Bok-Su and Kyung's relationship. Their relationship was so natural, i could've just watched them all day and i still wouldn't be content lol. Really you're dragged into their world, feel for their relationship, cry when things don't go right and share in Ko Bok Su's joy when things go well.

Episode 18 was my fav, when they went on that trip to the country and spent the whole day with each other :wub:

When she said she would hold onto Ko Bok Su like the bar

and this part was so cute as well

Oh, yeah, stuntman leader was hilarious as well. And Ko Bok Su's dad was the grandad from thank you :O Loved the 3rd line Butterfly song :cheers:

Another show i need to rewatch lol, i'm going to try and get the boxset if i can.

Simply beautiful.

zefreak

Post by zefreak » Feb 2nd, '10, 09:46

I started watching this show a while ago after reading such good things about it, and it is quickly becoming one of my favorite dramas. I am on episode 14, and the relationship between both Boksu and his father and Boksu and Kyung really resonate with me. Kyung is gorgeous, and a wonderful change from the typical k-drama protagonist. Which leads me to the one thing that is ruining this drama for me: the secondary leads.

Mi-Rae is such an obnoxious character. The pouting, the clinging, the pushiness, the crying, and general overacting drive what could have been an interesting dynamic into just an annoyance that drags the whole drama down from what it could achieve.

The secondary male lead isn't really worth mentioning. Generic kdrama male character that doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the cast.

In spite of these annoyances (of which most dramas can be accused of), the drama is overall entertaining and thoughtful.