Resurrection / BuHwal (KBS2, 2005)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
7654321friend

Post by 7654321friend » Mar 12th, '07, 00:10

jus finished watching tis drama...

i agree... great casts, good story... one of the best Kdramas out there...
now looking forward to new drama "The Devil" which oso stars Uhm Tae Woong

yeah

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Jul 12th, '07, 15:40

What a great series. How did something so brilliant rate so badly? Well I guess it aired concurrently with My Name is Kim Sam Soon, but still, 15 episodes with a rating of 10% or lower is pretty bad no matter what competition you're up with. It's pretty clear who operates the remote control in the Korean household considering Resurrection is more suited to the male audience :)

This series reminds of some very good suspense/thriller movies that I enjoy very much and it's a really good diversion from the typical teenage fluff that I've seen more often than I would've liked. At 24 episodes I would've thought it was gonna be a draggy one, but to my pleasant surprise it was faster paced than the majority of the series with 16 episodes. It kept me on the edge of my seat right until the end....well maybe not throughout its entirety, but I looked forward to each new episode.

The main man - Uhm Tae Woong - did an amazing job with his flawless performance as both Shin-yeok and Gang-hyuk and I am now eagerly awaiting to see him in The Devil. Han Ji Min as the leading lady I thought was a bit flat, and since I really liked her as the young SHK in All In, I felt a tad disappointed. Perhaps it's because Lee Da Hae's performance in the very similar series Green Rose was so much better. The supporting cast was absolutely superb though. Normally when I watch K-dramas I don't really like it when the focus is away from the leads, but all the smaller characters were so interesting and well acted that, at times, were even more enjoyable to watch than the leads.

My only complaint regarding Resurrection is that the main plot has a very strong similarity with Green Rose. In fact, there was a scene which was identical to that of GR's. You'll know what I mean if you've seen both. And considering that GR aired before Resurrection, I must admit my opinion of Resurrection did diminish slightly. However, this series just did everything better, and not just compared to GR. It's better than ANY of the K-dramas I've seen so far. So to all the ladies in Korea, please pass your remote control back to your partners please, and let the men decide what to watch, thank you :) 9 out of 10.

physics223

Post by physics223 » Aug 3rd, '07, 13:43

I've watched this series; I think it's amazing, but I want to ask when Gangju knew that it was Ha Eun instead of Shin Hyeok. When did she suspect that he was not Shin Hyeok, and when was she sure that he was Gang Hyeok? Was it in the ending?

aimlesswanderer

Post by aimlesswanderer » Aug 5th, '07, 04:18

An interesting series, and with Han Ji Min it was even better.
physics223
I've watched this series; I think it's amazing, but I want to ask when Gangju knew that it was Ha Eun instead of Shin Hyeok. When did she suspect that he was not Shin Hyeok, and when was she sure that he was Gang Hyeok? Was it in the ending

I don't think that Ganju knew until she got told after everything happened

physics223

Post by physics223 » Aug 5th, '07, 08:34

That was what I thought also. I just wanted to make sure ...

:V

Kai_Who

Post by Kai_Who » Nov 11th, '07, 13:06

Hey guys. I just finished this whole series and its Amazing!

I have to say it one of the most serious and brilliantly written series I've ever seen. The way everything and everyone came together was marvelous. I can't believe its not up their with all the other greats of 2005. People need to know about this! Although, I can understand the lack of female enthusiasm - the main population of Korean drama watches...it is quite heavy and male orientated.

One thing I wanted to know was what happened to Jinwu and his family? I don't think I remember seeing the results of his father and himself at the end....

I really felt sorry for Gangju in the end, all the she knew, all that she found out at the end must've really hurt. Although I think she ended up being sidelined during the middle of the series. She was important, but then she became more of a character that supported the development, rather than her initial role of being a catalyst.

Anyways, Kudo's to the writers for the brilliant ending. I'm really grateful they didn't go the clichee Korean style ending. People complain its too sappy and unrealistic if its happy, but seriously, it just fitted perfectly with who Haeun "completed the circle". That act for Heesu that Haeun did...I found that really touching...I think it was then it finally made me cry...

To all who havent seen it...I pity you...

Iron John

Count of Monte Christo connection

Post by Iron John » Dec 25th, '07, 20:06

For me, as I watced this drama, I saw clearly that the writer had adapted his story from the classic "The Count of Monte Christo" by Dumas. The writer did an excellent job of adaptation, staying true to Dumas original theme, basic story line, and many of the characters. Even the ending is right out of the Count of Monte Christo where the hero feels he has become much too dark of a person to be able to make a normal life with the woman he loves. In both stories, the hero simply leaves to give himself time to become human again.

xtinax3

Post by xtinax3 » Dec 30th, '07, 09:18

amazing. :wub:

MajidB
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by MajidB » Feb 20th, '08, 13:14

wow... i've seen tons of K-Dramas.. this is without a doubt number 1 on my list!!!!!!! ill add my ideas here later.

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Feb 20th, '08, 13:40

MajidB wrote:wow... i've seen tons of K-Dramas.. this is without a doubt number 1 on my list!!!!!!! ill add my ideas here later.
Thats what I have been saying for ages but no one(who hasnt already seen it) believed me :mrgreen: ...ok a few did :P

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Feb 20th, '08, 22:49

I've been stuck on episode 8 for a long time now. The story didn't seem to be moving anywhere so I went off to watch other dramas. Is it worth it to continue watching? Or do you think I'll just be wasting my time because this series obviously isn't for me if I still don't like it after seeing almost half of it? I really want to watch Mawang, which was written by Resurrection's writer if I'm not mistaken, but apparently it's not even as good as this drama. Please tell me it gets better.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Feb 22nd, '08, 13:31

Even though Resurrection is in my Top 3 k-dramas I would have to advice you not to waste your time. It really is more for older viewers and is especially targeted to the male audience. If you've done 8 episodes already and it still hasn't captured your attention, then chances are it probably never will.

Drop it, give Mawang a try but you might not like it either since they're very similar. Do you like crime related dramas? If not you'd be better off staying away from the genre altogether....or you could try something that has a bit of crime, romance and comedy all in one, like I am Sam. I'm watching it right now and it's much better than I expected it to be. Under-rated drama of 2007 IMO :)

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Feb 22nd, '08, 19:13

I didn't think I would like crime dramas until I watched Time Between Dog and Wolf. But there was a lot of eye candy in that one, so maybe that's the reason I liked it so much.

I'm not particularly interested in watching I Am Sam, except to see TOP in his first acting job (how is his acting by the way?), and even that's not enticing enough.

I guess I should drop Resurrection. But giving up on a drama after dedicating 7 hours of my life to it doesn't sit well with me. :-(

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Feb 29th, '08, 12:57

Haha so maybe you should just complete it for completeness sake! I do that a lot with k-dramas....usually once I pass the 'point-of-no-return' (4 episodes), I HAVE to watch it 'til the end no matter how bad it is.

I understand the lack of interest for {i]I Am Sam[/i], since it's.....not very interesting at first glance, but it does manage to pull you in. Or should I re-phrase; Park Min Young manages to pull me in :) TOP's acting is mediocre to say the least, but it's irrelevant really. He doesn't have many lines and has like 1 facial expression the entire time. You'll be disappointed if you watch it just because of him.

fluid_motion

Post by fluid_motion » Mar 19th, '08, 21:37

Does anybody have any information about the New Release DVD on dvdfromkorea coming April 2008? Is it the same as the previous one?

http://www.dvdfromkorea.com/shop/p_deta ... der&genre=

marizokah

Post by marizokah » Apr 21st, '08, 15:21

Hello everyone.

Does anyone know where can I download this kdrama?
I'm really looking for it, but I couldn't find here in D-Addicts.

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Aug 7th, '08, 17:55

It took me quite a while to really get into this drama, but I'm glad I stuck with it. Only after episode 15(!) was I completely hooked. This definitely had one of the most brilliantly executed plots in any Kdrama. I cried when it was over because I wanted to see more. Uhm Tae Woong was seriously incredible.

The only complaint I have about this series is the romance. And for a show that doesn't try to focus on the love story, there were wayyy too many scenes involving Haeun and Eunha. (H says "I'll take you home", E says "No I'll walk". Five minutes later...H drinks heavily in his house all alone while E is sitting in her room at home and looks up at the lighthouse picture hanging on the wall..all the while, 'Moo Jwe' is playing in the background....etc etc) I didn't like the romance at the beginning because they seemed more like siblings than lovers, but it got very draggy when he became Shin-hyuk. I like to think I don't believe in the FF-button, but this drama made me press it a few too many times even though it got insanely good near the end.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Aug 8th, '08, 03:16

lol you are very, very persistent. I remember you were debating whether you should continue with it when you were half way through....that was like....almost a year ago? But props to you for being able to sit through something which you didn't initially enjoy :)

kittiee

Resurrection - Kdrama

Post by kittiee » Jul 6th, '09, 04:05

Hello I need a little help I'm looking for more kdramas similar to Resurrection.
My husband loved it and I want him to enjoy watching more kdramas with me w/o being so bored! Can anyone please help? Thanks!

Also, please discuss what do you like and not like about this kdramas?

silverlotus

Post by silverlotus » Jul 6th, '09, 06:24

Resurrection was great!

What aspect of the drama did your hub like? The actor/actress? Plot? Music?

Assuming that it's the plot, I recommend 2 in no particular order:

Time Between Dog and Wolf:
Well made with high production values. Fast paced, not a single episode wasted nor dragged out.

The Devil (Ma-wang):

I think it might be the same production crew that made Resurrection. Great but a bit hard to follow at times.

I'll mention a third one but I don't really want fully recommend it because it's really only good for the first 10 or so episodes, Cain and Abel.

kittiee

Post by kittiee » Jul 6th, '09, 14:44

silverlotus wrote:Resurrection was great!

What aspect of the drama did your hub like? The actor/actress? Plot? Music?

Assuming that it's the plot, I recommend 2 in no particular order:

Time Between Dog and Wolf:
Well made with high production values. Fast paced, not a single episode wasted nor dragged out.

The Devil (Ma-wang):

I think it might be the same production crew that made Resurrection. Great but a bit hard to follow at times.

I'll mention a third one but I don't really want fully recommend it because it's really only good for the first 10 or so episodes, Cain and Abel.
He liked the fact that it was more a mystery and great story line as compared to the typical love triangles. I really forgot what it was all about but he continues to talk about how great it was! Thank you so much for your reply I'll go and try to find those! Oh and it wasn't too cheezy and predictable! lol

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Mar 2nd, '12, 17:48

I just finished episode 7 and you cannot tell me no one notices he's a different person the last 17 episodes it's so obvious he's a different person

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Mar 2nd, '12, 20:16

Sajen16 wrote:I just finished episode 7 and you cannot tell me no one notices he's a different person the last 17 episodes it's so obvious he's a different person
Don't worry, everything will be alright. This drama was written very well, so do not doubt it!

EDIT:
And the OST is quite good to, pay attention to it. At least I loved it. I watched Resurrection a long time ago, but I am still listening to few of it's OST songs.
Actually, I feel like watching it once again(idk, 3rd of so time).