Things I've Noticed from KDramas

Discuss Korean drama series here.
Sakari

Things I've Noticed from KDramas

Post by Sakari » May 3rd, '06, 09:14

EDIT 2007-10-30: As of recently, an advertisement seems to appear as part of every message that is first on its page. As I do not like this, and as this was such a post, I deleted the contents (I don't know how to delete the post itself.)
Last edited by Sakari on Oct 30th, '07, 05:54, edited 25 times in total.

send2toonie

Re: Things I've Noticed from KDramas

Post by send2toonie » May 3rd, '06, 13:12

so true. :lol

CraZyaH
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by CraZyaH » May 3rd, '06, 13:25

Sakari wrote: 3. One character, A, is flying out and another one, B, rushes to the airport to catch him or her. In spite of both having cellphones, B does not call A to find out A's whereabouts, but, instead, runs around frantically (looking for A). This will normally give A enough time to board before being caught by B.
LOL so true!! saw that in most k-dramas!
6. Small or medium-sized cars are rarely used. Rich people drive big and expensive cars, while everybody else takes the bus or the subway, or gets rides in the rich people's cars.
lol prolly because most female leads are VERY POOR and the male leads are FILTHY RICH! lol
7. There is a traffic accident or somebody has an incurable disease. Or both.
well,only in melodramas lol that's also the case for lots of jdoramas too! hehehe
8. If you hit your head in a traffic accident, you might lose your memory. But don't worry, you will get it back when you hit your head a second time.
WINTER SONATA!!! lol
9. If two people are talking confidentially, they will leave the door of the room open so that a third person can overhear the conversation.
that part is in MOST kdramas...well not only kdramas,cdramas,jdramas and every drama in the world,lol
10. Rich people live in mansions surrounded by brick walls, while everybody else lives in shacks atop high buildings in downtown Seoul, or hillside slums on the outskirts of the city.
lol just like point number 6!
In the toilet scene, there is a high probability of there turning out to be no paper.
saw that in My Name is Kim Sam Soon and now in Really Really Like you hehe
12. The male lead has to carry someone - most often, the female lead - somewhere piggy-back.
you can find that in korean MVs too these days hehehe but its soo cute XD
14. Korean schools and universities suck. To study anything seriously, characters must go abroad.
I wish they even learn something from those Universities >.< most of them have the WORST english accent and they even say that they've stayed in an english speaking country for years :blink

hebiko

Post by hebiko » May 3rd, '06, 13:34

Quote:

14. Korean schools and universities suck. To study anything seriously, characters must go abroad.

I wish they even learn something from those Universities >.< most of them have the WORST english accent and they even say that they've stayed in an english speaking country for years
Hahaha!! So true!! If they have live in an English-speaking Country for years, that's mean their English accent has to be quite good!! Some of them speaks like its their first time speaking English!

captain-nippon

Post by captain-nippon » May 3rd, '06, 18:25

They all stupid and annoying.....maybe for a fews that are good....MOST are just silly to watch..

Xi@h
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Xi@h » May 3rd, '06, 18:29

hebiko wrote:
Quote:

I wish they even learn something from those Universities >.< most of them have the WORST english accent and they even say that they've stayed in an english speaking country for years
Hahaha!! So true!! If they have live in an English-speaking Country for years, that's mean their English accent has to be quite good!! Some of them speaks like its their first time speaking English!
Except Lee So Young from Spring Waltz, she speaks very well though the accent :P

amaranth

Post by amaranth » May 3rd, '06, 18:45

If I may add a few work-related ones:

* Korean multinational companies are usually run by young cool-looking upstarts with popstar haircuts and the gaudiest fashion sense.

* The company will usually encounter a few difficulties, easily solved when the male lead increases the amount of time spent in his office daily to a whopping two hours.

* While the male lead will understand that love is more important than money or his position in the company, said company will nonetheless have increased its benefits 30% during the course of the drama.
Last edited by amaranth on May 3rd, '06, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.

amaranth

Post by amaranth » May 3rd, '06, 18:53

Another one:

As the male lead, if you are in a position where you can clear a terrible misunderstanding with one simple sentence, by all means don't. Wait until the tearful-eyed girl leaves, then shake your head sadly and punch something (tree, table, wall) or throw something (empty mug, stacks of paper, 15" television).

(Sakari, your post is definitely one of the funniest I've ever read on D-addicts!)

pockiiee
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pockiiee » May 3rd, '06, 19:03

Sakari wrote:
3. One character, A, is flying out and another one, B, rushes to the airport to catch him or her. In spite of both having cellphones, B does not call A to find out A's whereabouts, but, instead, runs around frantically (looking for A). This will normally give A enough time to board before being caught by B.
Related to this one, before this scene Character A and B will be walking in the same general area, but miss each other by seconds, Character A will look down to tie his/her shoe or something and miss character B.

CraZyaH
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by CraZyaH » May 3rd, '06, 19:32

Jeremiah wrote:
hebiko wrote:

Except Lee So Young from Spring Waltz, she speaks very well though the accent :P
lol we were talking about accents.
oh I just remembered 2 korean actors with good english accents : Yeon Jeong Hoon :wub: (he speaks english in Sad Sonata)
and Jung Ryu Won (My Name is Kim Sam Soon,Which Star Are You From)
pockiiee wrote:Related to this one, before this scene Character A and B will be walking in the same general area, but miss each other by seconds, Character A will look down to tie his/her shoe or something and miss character B.
LOL so true!!

fateNdestiny
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by fateNdestiny » May 4th, '06, 06:49

Jung Ryu Won grew up in Australia, so she doesn't have much of an accent. Lee Da Hae supposely grew up in Australia too, but I haven't heard her English so I don't know how good she is.

fateNdestiny
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by fateNdestiny » May 4th, '06, 06:50

Jung Ryu Won grew up in Australia, so she doesn't much of an accent. Lee Da Hae supposely grew up in Australia too, but I haven't heard her English so I don't know how good she is.

muffin707

Post by muffin707 » May 4th, '06, 07:03

pockiiee wrote:
Sakari wrote:
3. One character, A, is flying out and another one, B, rushes to the airport to catch him or her. In spite of both having cellphones, B does not call A to find out A's whereabouts, but, instead, runs around frantically (looking for A). This will normally give A enough time to board before being caught by B.
Related to this one, before this scene Character A and B will be walking in the same general area, but miss each other by seconds, Character A will look down to tie his/her shoe or something and miss character B.
Haha :D that's so true, they always miss each other (and they always show it in slow motion).

The make-up artist for the series tend to put too much lipstick on the male characters, sometimes the guys have on brighter lipsticks than the girls. I find that so funny :D

mallorn

Post by mallorn » May 4th, '06, 08:13

You guys might be interested in this thread, entitled "The Ten Commandments of Korean Drama". http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_6100.htm Very funny, and a lot of the opinions/observations of people here can also be found in that thread.

This is the stereotype which I've found to be most true in K-dramas (lifted from aforementioned thread):

"In popular dramas, there are no middle-level management employees, no salesman, no KFC manager, and Definitly no pizza delivery guy. Their fathers are always the CEO of a huge company, and the Male Character himself is AT THE VERY LEAST Managing Director / Market Director. He is UBER-talented in his field. I wonder how many % of the world's male population fit the aforementioned qualifications. In addition, MOST of these GUYS ARE ALSO Awesome FIGHTERS.

Rich. Good-looking. Intelligent. Prestigious Family Background. Skilled. HAS COMPLETED COLLEGE AND/OR MBA ABROAD (99% IN AMERICA).

Dresses like a Model. Kind. Warm. Pure-hearted. Perfect Gentleman. CLEAN. Plays at least ONE Musical Instrument. Good at SPORTS.

LASTLY, although the origins are unknown, they ARE HELLA GOOD FIGHTERS.

On the other hand, the Girl is always poor, but spunky and inevitably GORGEOUS with a HIGH SENSE OF indepenence and PRIDE. Even though The Girl gets the Man (in the long history of k-dramas, this is EQUIVALENT TO THE BIG BANG THEORY), she always gets screwed by the Other-Pretty-But-Evil Girl in the middle."

:lol:

[/url]

chomania1986

Post by chomania1986 » May 4th, '06, 08:50

Don't know if someone has already said it:

For every frickin' illness, they go the hospital! (mostly b/c they faint...why do they always faint..???)
then the other person runs like a frickin' psycho, thinkking that the person is gonna die or something..

amaranth

Post by amaranth » May 4th, '06, 10:25

chomania1986 wrote:For every frickin' illness, they go the hospital! (mostly b/c they faint...why do they always faint..???)
then the other person runs like a frickin' psycho, thinkking that the person is gonna die or something..
This is another byproduct of the aforementioned cellphone glitch. Why does everyone always have to go places (preferably on foot for distances less than 10 miles) instead of just calling, especially in situations where time is of the essence?! Oh well, I guess that's because you couldn't have the guy looking cool as hell while he runs like the wind, only to arrive to his destination without a hair out of place nor a trickle of sweat on his temple.

Hmm, that's another one: male leads don't sweat. They will, however, have oddly placed patches of wetness (rumored to represent perspiration) on their t-shirts when exercising.

bella_mygga_insek

Post by bella_mygga_insek » May 4th, '06, 10:41

yeah really, seems like the Kdramas is following a system of their culture. I´ve noticed two pretty annoying things in alla the Kdramas I´ve seen, but that´s not mean that I don´t like Kdramas cos I really do. 1) the leading male has always a first love, that´s mean, the leading female is never the first love, but the second. 2) the girls is falling for the guys first and in some dramas she is first who telling the boy that she has fallen in love with him.

It´s kinda annoying cos I´m used to watch Hkdramas, in those dramas they´re the guys who fall in love first and in that way being kinda manly I think. That´s why I always fall for the malecharacter who are an outsider, that´s mean that he is secretly in love with the leading female(of course the leading femala doesn´t love him! cos she´s in love with the leading male guy.) and does whatever it takes to help her, even if it costs his own heart. That´ s just so manly and romantic. So I really want the koreandrama directors to change these things. But this things is their culture so they won´t change them. The male in korea are very very dominant, so they´re used be like that even in love!

skachild

Post by skachild » May 4th, '06, 11:13

hebiko wrote:
Quote:

yeah.. agree with ur on this one...
example = GOONG..!!!! :mrgreen:
l like to watch goong but honestly... their english sucks..!! :whistling:
i dunno if this a new one or not..
- as always in k-drama, the lead actor will be the rich guy and the lead actress will be the poor rite...??
but look at their handphone in the drama especially the lead actress, bloody expensive if u ask me..!! :blink
the lead actress surpose to be poor but the handphone...??? is handphone are quit cheap in korea or what?? :blink

bella_mygga_insek

Post by bella_mygga_insek » May 4th, '06, 13:01

skachild wrote:
hebiko wrote:

yeah.. agree with ur on this one...
example = GOONG..!!!! :mrgreen:
l like to watch goong but honestly... their english sucks..!! :whistling:

lol... talking about speaking bad english.. Wallace huo is so handsome, but his english pronunciation really SUCKS! lol... so ashamed... The HKpeople talks the best english in asia I think!

chomania1986

Post by chomania1986 » May 4th, '06, 20:11

aaaaallright...

azndgn26

Post by azndgn26 » May 4th, '06, 22:36

I noticed that most of the time, it's always the male that's rich and famous, while the female is poor and unkown....

Ex:
My Name is Kim Sam Soon - Hyun Bin; family owns a hotel and he owns a restaurant. Kim Sun Ah; unwealthy with family debts

Love Story in Harvard - Kim Rae Won; comes from a wealthy family to study abroad. Kim Tae Hee; family is poor and father lives in a trailer

Full House - Rain; Actor and lots of money. Song Hye Gyo; original owner of the house but then got sold out by her friends and became Rain's maid in order to retrieve the house back

Wonderful Life - Kim Jae Won; comes from a wealthy family. Eugene; poor family and the mother runs a small restaurant

My Girl - Lee Dong Wook; wealthy family and owns a huge company. Lee Dae Hae - a tour guide making money with the help of her chinese/korean translation. Comes from a poor background.

and many others....

sbungier

Post by sbungier » May 4th, '06, 22:49

what I have noticed in is that the "lead" character always has that first love usually when they were like in grade school for which they were together for only like a few days and for some stupid reason that person comes before anyone else even years later...I dont know about anyone else but I for the life of me can't remember the first guy that I liked...

and whats up with getting medicine for EVERYTHING...I swear getting the flu or a cut in korea is like death!

chitato_80

Post by chitato_80 » May 4th, '06, 22:50

LOL this post cracks me up
:D

#16 - good girls don't drive.. bad girls do....

haha this is so true.. i never realized this.. the main girls in a kdrama usually don't drive on their own..

btw there are some kdramas that don't follow these stereotype..
the most recent one that I saw is Oh! Pil-Seung Bong Soon-Young.. try that if you want to see something different..
lead guy and girl are both poor, are not highly educated, lead guy likes the girl first but she likes the other guy hehe.. no amnesia.. no accident.. no terminal illness..
the story is very lighthearted and fast-paced. Lots of funny moments.

azndgn26

Post by azndgn26 » May 4th, '06, 22:54

chitato_80 wrote:btw there are some kdramas that don't follow these stereotype..
the most recent one that I saw is Oh! Pil-Seung Bong Soon-Young.. try that if you want to see something different..
lead guy and girl are both poor, are not highly educated, lead guy likes the girl first but she likes the other guy hehe.. no amnesia.. no accident.. no terminal illness..
the story is very lighthearted and fast-paced. Lots of funny moments.
but his long lost grandmother is rich and wealthy which made him also rich and wealthy

chitato_80

Post by chitato_80 » May 4th, '06, 23:16

azndgn26 wrote:
but his long lost grandmother is rich and wealthy which made him also rich and wealthy
haha that's true but he doesn't act rich even though after he found out he is rich.. i still think his character is different than the typical rich leading men

CraZyaH
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by CraZyaH » May 5th, '06, 09:07

sbungier wrote: and whats up with getting medicine for EVERYTHING...I swear getting the flu or a cut in korea is like death!
LOL! I know that usually when you get sick,it'd take u at least 24 hours to feel extremely tired,lol but in Kdramas they get sick in an hour lol hmm and magically, get better the following day,well unless they were admitted to the hospital lol!
and those people get hurt sooo quick :blink one of the cuts that I thought were stupid,was the tiny wound Bi got in Full House when her friend punched him in the face XD so silly lol when you get punched u get a bruise, never get wounds :blink

hehe and whats up with Korean guys being beaten by their women all the time?! is it a cultural thing? I mean do their men really allow women to hit them???? :blink

sp4078

Post by sp4078 » May 5th, '06, 21:15

CraZyaH wrote:
sbungier wrote: and whats up with getting medicine for EVERYTHING...I swear getting the flu or a cut in korea is like death!
LOL! I know that usually when you get sick,it'd take u at least 24 hours to feel extremely tired,lol but in Kdramas they get sick in an hour lol hmm and magically, get better the following day,well unless they were admitted to the hospital lol!
and those people get hurt sooo quick :blink one of the cuts that I thought were stupid,was the tiny wound Bi got in Full House when her friend punched him in the face XD so silly lol when you get punched u get a bruise, never get wounds :blink

hehe and whats up with Korean guys being beaten by their women all the time?! is it a cultural thing? I mean do their men really allow women to hit them???? :blink
- In that case, I think her friend's nail got into his face.

- But I have to admit that every Kdrama, there's at least one scene in hospital.
- Another thing, if there's something with study aboard, or grew up in another country, whatsoever, mostly it's America.

- The lead females don't drive because they're poor, I think it's kinda related.

- It's true that's when 2 persons talk about something important, there would be a third person ready to hear it.

-English : --> Love story in Harvard. The males' english are damn suck. If they can get into Harvard with that level of english, why am I still here ? By the way, Kim Tae Hee speaks English kinda good though.

fateNdestiny
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by fateNdestiny » May 6th, '06, 03:39

Add this to the list,
Korean mothers are extremely abusive. They don't just hit their kids, they BEAT UP their kids with brooms, purses, and anything that they can get their hand on at the time. It doesn't matter that their children are now 30+ years old, they still get a beating for being annoying.

Example: My Name is Kim Sam Soon, Super Rookie, My Sassy Girl, etc....

nrg_hot330

Post by nrg_hot330 » May 6th, '06, 04:37

Sakari wrote:Here is a small collection of things that seem to recur in KDramas. Don't take it too seriously - I adore KDramas...

1. Somebody gets into the water (pool, ocean, ...) with their clothes on.

2. The male and female leads throw snow at each other.

4. One episode at least takes place on Jeju (the island).

5. Surprises backfire. Always.

6. Small or medium-sized cars are rarely used. Rich people drive big and expensive cars, while everybody else takes the bus or the subway, or gets rides in the rich people's cars.

8. If you hit your head in a traffic accident, you might lose your memory. But don't worry, you will get it back when you hit your head a second time.

9. If two people are talking confidentially, they will leave the door of the room open so that a third person can overhear the conversation.

10. Rich people live in mansions surrounded by brick walls, while everybody else lives in shacks atop high buildings in downtown Seoul, or hillside slums on the outskirts of the city.

11. There is a scene in an elevator, and one in a toilet. In the elevator scene, one character will say something embarrassing. In the toilet scene, there is a high probability of there turning out to be no paper.

12. The male lead has to carry someone - most often, the female lead - somewhere piggy-back.

13. If there is an episode where a character gets a job, there is a later episode where he or she resigns from it, usually by writing a letter of resignation.

15. If there is an engagement party, the characters getting engaged will not marry. However, normally one of them will not show up.

16. Good girls don't drive (cars). Bad girls do. Well, a good girl just *might* drive, but she will do it so badly it's a wonder she was ever given a license.

17. If a relative of yours (or your spouse's) is involved in a fight, it's you who must pay compensation to the other people involved. That's because the relative has no money. Well, neither have you, but you can always get a lousy, demeaning part-time job, can't you?
oh geez. so true. i was laughing like crazy while i was reading ur post.

sp4078

Post by sp4078 » May 6th, '06, 05:22

fateNdestiny wrote:Add this to the list,
Korean mothers are extremely abusive. They don't just hit their kids, they BEAT UP their kids with brooms, purses, and anything that they can get their hand on at the time. It doesn't matter that their children are now 30+ years old, they still get a beating for being annoying.

I bet you're not Asian, or else you wasn't born in Asia.

enuyasha

Post by enuyasha » May 6th, '06, 05:41

The thing that is soo annoying to me is that all the guys in every single kdrama always scratch their head like they got dandruff or something when they get nervous or embarrassed ect...

They other thing is that they got like 3-4 of the same characters playing the PARENTS in just about every kdrama LOL.

Kdramas are all repetitve and annoying to me now, they all have similar storylines and crappy English!

Can't they find somebody who's bilingual and actually speaks English for once!

CraZyaH
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by CraZyaH » May 6th, '06, 11:01

Sakari wrote: 18, or The Oppa Fallacy. There is this cool guy and a girl, Girl #1, who keeps calling him "Oppa". Because he is her boyfriend, right? Wrong, Girl #1; it's not you who gets the cool guy. Instead, he will fall for Girl #2 who never calls him anything but "Director", "Manager", or "Mister".
LOL!!! so true! and seriously,I was sooo annoyed of how the girl in Sweet 18 kept calling her husband "Ahjushi" till the drama ended! was sooo unrealistic! I mean during the time when they didn't love eachother it was alright,but even after they got along well and everything....so stupid!

oh oh I found 2 dramas where the lead girl actually called the lead guy "Oppa"
Autumn Tale, and Heaven's Tree!! but in those they were at first like siblings,but it turned into love :whistling:

It's still annoying having to hear "Oppa Oppa Oppa Oppa Oppa Oppa Oppa Oppa Oppa Oppa Oppa Oppa Oppa Oppa Oppa"!!!!!!!! :cussing:

Sakari

Post by Sakari » May 7th, '06, 05:31

Sakari wrote:
1. Somebody gets into the water (pool, ocean, ...) with their clothes on.
This comes up oddly often. I think I've seen it in at least Hotelier, Prince's First Love, Love Story in Harvard, Lovers in Paris, I'm Sorry I Love You and most recently in Bad Family.

Yay - 10th post! I now get to vote for KSOTM!

wink.

Post by wink. » May 7th, '06, 05:50

Quote:

.. you rekon? lol ! doesn't it always happen?

shiny plastic

Post by shiny plastic » May 7th, '06, 08:18

The thing that pisses me off on most dramas is how meek and stupid the main characters are. I mean wtf? Everytime someone insults them they just stand there and say nothing (usually the female lead cries). Jesus, ever think the director could give these characters some..oh i don't know. a backbone?

Stupid winter sonata :x I'm tempting myself not to kill the whole main cast of it.

pockiiee
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pockiiee » May 7th, '06, 09:21

What REALLY gets me is the constant WAITING......
One year later.... some new hair styles and the re-appearance of the lost female lead
Three years later -- time it takes to get over a really bad tragedy and get back together before a quick ending.
I don't WANT to see three years later, I want the story to continue NOW.

It really bugs me, because I know it serves a purpose, I hate it when they skip ahead like that. This is also linked to constant theme of waiting for the one you love -- Half the male leads are waiting for some lost girl who, after three years and not so much as a phone call or an email, they're waiting for her to re-emerge to restart the relationship. I know it's only a story but nobody would do that, would they? I've also seen this, to a lesser extent, in a couple Japanese dramas.

I liked how My name is Kim san Soon dealt with it - you go away, too bad.
enuyasha wrote:The thing that is soo annoying to me is that all the guys in every single kdrama always scratch their head like they got dandruff or something when they get nervous or embarrassed ect...e!
Hey, I actually think that's kind of cute, but yeah, they all do it.

Heh, but despite all of this I still get hooked on a lot of them, I must like to torture myself a little :)

fateNdestiny
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by fateNdestiny » May 8th, '06, 03:39

sp4078 wrote:
fateNdestiny wrote:Add this to the list,

I bet you're not Asian, or else you wasn't born in Asia.

I am Asian. Furthermore, I was born and grew up in Asia. I know Asian cultures permit parents to discipline their child by force and I got a few spankings myself when I was little, but my parents are NEVER that abusive. Also, the last time my dad hit me was when I was 14. None of my friend's parents are anywhere near the level of violent Korean parents showed in these dramas and I know a lot of Asian, although they're mostly vietnamese, chinese, filipino, or laosian.

shiny plastic

Post by shiny plastic » May 8th, '06, 04:25

I'm filipino and I know how abusive parents get in asia. Very traditional. Way too traditional in my opinion. Beating your children will only antagonize them more and rebel.

amaranth

Post by amaranth » May 8th, '06, 15:07

CraZyaH wrote:
And if they are admitted to the hospital, then it means they're going to die. Useful tip if sick when visiting Korea: if medicine doesn't cure you within 24h, make arrangements to have your body shipped back home because You. Will. Die. Enjoy your stay. :D
Last edited by amaranth on May 8th, '06, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.

bLaCkNbLuE

Post by bLaCkNbLuE » May 8th, '06, 15:18

amaranth wrote:
CraZyaH wrote:
And if they are admitted to the hospital, then it means they're going to die. Useful tip if sick when visiting Korea: if medicine doesn't cures you within 24h, make arrangements to have your body shipped back home because You. Will. Die. Enjoy your stay. :D
Medicine? What medicine? Don't you mean an intravenous drip? After all, if you are ill in Korea, its probably just dehydration. :P

My suggestion to anyone visiting Korea.... bring some 'tussin!

amaranth

Post by amaranth » May 8th, '06, 15:21

enuyasha wrote:Kdramas are all repetitve and annoying to me now, they all have similar storylines
Sad but true. At first it's a lot of fun because everything is new, but very quickly, it gets über-boring to watch the same actors portraying the same characters over and over again - only with different names and haircuts. Exceptions are few and far between... I enjoyed Damo a lot because it had strong storyline and characters while still keeping all the traditional ingredients of Kdrama (love triangle, family secrets, long lost brother/sister, unrequited love, betrayal, tragic deaths and so on). Right now, I'm quite hooked on Alone in Love, which, while being far from perfect and exempt of Kdramas' (inherent) flaws, has a nice blend of humour/emotion and a more mature feel than most Kdramas I've seen. Anyway, i'm totally :offtopic: so I'll just shut up... else I'll start talking about US TV shows...

nrg_hot330

Post by nrg_hot330 » May 8th, '06, 19:43

i'd like to add one more thing. I think that all koreans are alcoholic. they just go drink it even for the smallest thing. And most of the time, they drink till they drop. and the women usually go blank.. they don't remember nothing, the next day. i mean, u can drink and stuff, but how can you be that careless all the time?

jun`

Post by jun` » May 8th, '06, 19:55

^^ lol thats apparently what happens in most dramas. more likely a scene in the airport.
5. Surprises backfire. Always.
^^ xD
^^ Yupperoos
^^ wow..thats in most dramas lately these days;
18, or The Oppa Fallacy. There is this cool guy and a girl, Girl #1, who keeps calling him "Oppa". Because he is her boyfriend, right? Wrong, Girl #1; it's not you who gets the cool guy. Instead, he will fall for Girl #2 who never calls him anything but "Director", "Manager", or "Mister".
^^ LOL THATS SOO TRUE!

kstar

Post by kstar » May 8th, '06, 20:20

Lets NOT forget how they love

1.Cinderella stories (rich and poor)
2.Or somehow due to circumstances they end up living together XD;;
3.Best friend main character falling for main character Xd;;
4.They are all ALCOHLICS...always find them in a BAR or a CLUB when angsting
nrg_hot330 wrote:i'd like to add one more thing. I think that all koreans are alcoholic. they just go drink it even for the smallest thing. And most of the time, they drink till they drop. and the women usually go blank.. they don't remember nothing, the next day. i mean, u can drink and stuff, but how can you be that careless all the time?
THEY DRINK AND THEY DRIVE!

5. THERE ARE ALWAYS 4 PEOPLE INVOLVED. 2 BOYS 2 GIRLS! >.< (The boys are normally friends/partners/something)
6. Main character girl has nothing to do with other 3 characters but somehow gets involved.

Now that i think about it Full House is a pretty darn typical drama x_X
lol
The ones you have are precious XD;;

nrg_hot330

Post by nrg_hot330 » May 9th, '06, 19:33

HEhe agree with kstar. just finished rewatching fullhouse, it seems that it doesn't have lotsa actions

TheBodyGuard

Post by TheBodyGuard » May 9th, '06, 19:55

Sakari wrote: 1. Somebody gets into the water (pool, ocean, ...) with their clothes on.
hmmm.. in asia they dont get off there clothes when they swim

Connie101292

Post by Connie101292 » May 9th, '06, 19:59

lmao well thats how they love to make the stories the male is filthy rich and the girl is poor and the parents might jus not like the girl cuz shes poor so predictable

thislove

Post by thislove » May 9th, '06, 20:13

Wow it's all very true that all kdramas revolve around the same themes. Sometime the plot is just so predictable it makes the drama bad and boring.

proud2beSlow

Post by proud2beSlow » May 9th, '06, 21:31

muffin707 wrote:
pockiiee wrote:
Sakari wrote:
that's so damn right true! i mean like how the hell no u not see each other, your like just 1 yard away! just turn aroud u damnit!

MooL

Post by MooL » May 9th, '06, 22:00

Don't forget that EVERYONE has a ridiculous fashion sense that parallels pseudo 80's fashion (fur, layers, tights, and psychedelic shoes).

Or that all Korean soundtracks (that have lyrics) have the word "love" it in at LEAST twice.
nrg_hot330 wrote:i'd like to add one more thing. I think that all koreans are alcoholic. they just go drink it even for the smallest thing. And most of the time, they drink till they drop. and the women usually go blank.. they don't remember nothing, the next day. i mean, u can drink and stuff, but how can you be that careless all the time?
Oh man, I HAVE to agree with that! I made up a drinking game with My Girl with how many times 1.)A character gets drunk 2.) Yoo Rin passes out drunk.

But another thing about that. How is it that after something incredibly dramatic happens (someone gets kissed, someone gets hugged, etc) that a character immediately sobers up? Nuts!

Ajah

Post by Ajah » May 12th, '06, 15:54

you forgot to add.... a scene at a soccer field or grassy feild where the leads play around with each other or run at...:)

hmmzzz what else....at least a scene involving taxis & buses...lol

bLaCkNbLuE

Post by bLaCkNbLuE » May 12th, '06, 15:55

a scene with the two leads riding a bike together, especially with the girl riding behind her oppa

sbungier

Post by sbungier » May 12th, '06, 17:30

there is always a brushing teeth scene or cooking!

JenBell

Post by JenBell » May 12th, '06, 17:55

this is such an awesome thread...here we are tearing into KDs...but still love them to bits.

I think well executed KDs like resurrection can be forgiven though...oh and my girl is another one

Sakari

Post by Sakari » May 16th, '06, 09:36

Sakari wrote:
16. Good girls don't drive (cars). Bad girls do. Well, a good girl just *might* drive, but she will do it so badly it's a wonder she was ever given a license.
This is why it was such a shock to see Lee Da-hae driving in the last few episodes of My Girl. Good grief; she had me biting my nails there.

wyen

Post by wyen » May 16th, '06, 16:22

Slapping, beating, drinking, contract, first love, and etc seems common in almost every K-dramas :lol

cierta

Post by cierta » May 16th, '06, 16:28

Not only brushing their teeth and/or cooking, there are also the clean up / do the dishes scenes, or are they qualify as a cooking scene?

Don't know if anyone already said this (and I'm too lazy to go back and scan every post :mrgreen: ) There are the 2 leads and 2 primary supporting characters right? 1 girl and 1 guy of each. Predictably, the male lead and the 2 supporting casts would be best friends in the whole wide world, usually, with the supporting female as a childhood friend, who has his family approval, and clique or not, the male lead would make a promise to either take-care-of-you or I'll-marry-you-later. :scratch:

Oh, and the rich guy / poor girl thing, there is only one drama where it's the opposite .... *drum rolls plzzz* ............. Sandglass !!!!! :cheers:

miedzyslowami

Post by miedzyslowami » May 16th, '06, 16:45

What about this point?

23, or The Taxi Scam. A popular small-scale scam is to ask friends to give you money for a taxi. It's a scam because taxis in Korea are free; that is, once you arrive at your destination, you can step out and be on your way without paying the driver anything.

Is that true? So why do people ride buses etc? when they can use taxi. Explain please!

eternal_dragon_666

Post by eternal_dragon_666 » May 16th, '06, 16:59

thislove wrote:Wow it's all very true that all kdramas revolve around the same themes. Sometime the plot is just so predictable it makes the drama bad and boring.
hahaha, I agree with u there. But, a realli simple answer to that is just to watch 1 a month or sth so that u dun keep on remembering the recurring themes! (If you've got exceptional memory, or pay attention to dramas at all, then just watch 1 every 3 season) :P

Sakari

Post by Sakari » May 17th, '06, 05:51

miedzyslowami wrote:What about this point?

23, or The Taxi Scam. A popular small-scale scam is to ask friends to give you money for a taxi. It's a scam because taxis in Korea are free; that is, once you arrive at your destination, you can step out and be on your way without paying the driver anything.

Is that true? So why do people ride buses etc? when they can use taxi. Explain please!
Ermm... You have to remember that this forum is about dramas. Dramas are fiction, not fact. So, if I say that everybody lives either in mansions or in slums, then that only refers to the fictional Korea of KDramas, not to the real South Korea of today . Likewise, taxis being free in the fictional Korea of KDramas does not mean they are free in the real South Korea of today.

Sakari

Post by Sakari » May 17th, '06, 06:00

cierta wrote: Oh, and the rich guy / poor girl thing, there is only one drama where it's the opposite .... *drum rolls plzzz* ............. Sandglass !!!!! :cheers:
What about Ruler of Your Own World?

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » May 17th, '06, 06:26

Sakari wrote:
cierta wrote: Oh, and the rich guy / poor girl thing, there is only one drama where it's the opposite .... *drum rolls plzzz* ............. Sandglass !!!!! :cheers:
What about Ruler of Your Own World?
what about a love to kill? does that one count?

enuyasha

Post by enuyasha » May 17th, '06, 06:37

The other thing that bugs me is that the guys eating ramen off the lid?

I've never seen anybody eat ramen off of the lid before in real life or in JDramas & HKDramas ONLY until I watched Kdramas and Korean Movies!

Ever heard of a bowl?

Are you that poor that you can't afford bowls?

I've thought of one common thing between JDramas, Kdramas, and HKdramas...they have KARAOKE scenes!!!
Asians just love to sing especially when they're sad or heartbroken or some sort of celebration.

amaranth

Post by amaranth » May 17th, '06, 10:51

enuyasha wrote:The other thing that bugs me is that the guys eating ramen off the lid?

I've never seen anybody eat ramen off of the lid before in real life or in JDramas & HKDramas ONLY until I watched Kdramas and Korean Movies!

Well, actually that is pretty common in real life, including (or especially) in Japan... The container is heat resistant precisely so that you can fill it with hot water and eat right out of it.

plumeria

Post by plumeria » May 17th, '06, 14:49

True I agree (the first post). K-dramas are very predictable. You already know what's going to happen when you watch the first time. BUT...somehow Kdramas seems to top; Jdramas and Cdramas nowdays what I mean by that is that it's the most watched. All those similar parts in K- dramas is like their signature. I do get very irritated watching some of the dramas though.

I think it's their acting that is the MOST of the MOST outstanding I've ever seen in any asian dramas. Beautiful voices. Plus they have the BEST of BEST OST even though in lyrics have "I Love You" alot :wub:. To me anyways. It's weird cuz I'm half korean and I'm saying these things...oh wells.

Alot of people who I talked to about Korean dramas, if Korea is really like that. People take it seriously and is curious. What they show in dramas aren't all true in reality. Maybe drinking, short tempered, eating ramen out of the pot, whacking heads, eating kimchi :P etc....

Speaking fluent Korean and trying to speak or learn english...it may sound funny or :crazy: but try put yourself in our place, you would have hard time as well. At least they try right ^_^

It's good to hear everyones opinions. At points it makes me feel embarassed to be korean :lol . Makes me feel like going to the writers and directors and changing their stories around for them hahaha. I'm speaking non sense I think I'm too tired. Bed time!

kenderkin88

Post by kenderkin88 » May 17th, '06, 16:23

My Fair Lady doesn't really seem to follow many of these.. Both leads are poor--the girl is a stewardess pretending to be wealthy so she can attract a billionaire, and the guy is working at a bakery to pay off his deceased father's debts and take care of his mother. The secondary male character is insanely wealthy, of course, but that's expected.. The secondary female character is a stewardess as well, so the majority of the main characters are poor. No car accidents yet, although the mother is apparently very ill with something [I'll laugh if it's cancer.]. While the main characters have never met before, the girl--gasp!--looks like the guy's dead girlfriend! Oh, the shock. I haven't seen any shower scenes, either..

..but the two main characters DO jump into a fountain with their clothes on, and the girl rides a bike rather than driving a car, so perhaps the rest of the series will become more cliche. :P

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » May 17th, '06, 21:24

kenderkin88 wrote:the girl is a stewardess pretending to be wealthy so she can attract a billionaire
LoL, that's like my goal in life. :lol :lol

not honestly, but i do want to be a stewrdess.. and meeting a billionaire would definitely be a plus!

mebo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by mebo » May 18th, '06, 01:25

I have really enjoyed reading this thread and all the posts. :D It makes me think about why I enjoy kdramas so much. Predictability provides comfort. It's fun trying to guess what will be included in the current drama I'm watching.

The bathroom scenes, drinking too much, and piggyback rides are what I notice in the dramas I've watched. I always have to smile when I see those piggyback rides.

Oh, and a main character always has to literally run after someone (usually in an airport)...and of course has to miss them by mere seconds.

But I can't stop watching them!

Unknowns

Post by Unknowns » May 18th, '06, 01:52

I dont get this

Taxi in Korean is free?

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » May 18th, '06, 02:00

Unknowns wrote:I dont get this

Taxi in Korean is free?
i believe he's using sarcasm. he is basically saying that they always ask for money to pay the cab fare.. but once you see them arrive at where they're going they usually run out of the cab without paying.. and the car will just drive off like it's nothing.

Sakari

Post by Sakari » May 18th, '06, 05:25

Sakari wrote: 12. The male lead has to carry someone - most often, the female lead - somewhere piggy-back.
In Prince's First Love, Kim Nam-jin takes this up a notch by running while carrying Seong Yoo-ri, who looks rather big as girls go - petite, she's not.

Still, that's nothing compared to the twist in Ruler of Your Own World that has Lee Na-young, the female lead, carry Yang Dong-geun, the male lead.

You, perhaps, are not impressed; you, perhaps, say YDG is a small guy? Well, there is another scene where LNY carries supporting-male Lee Dong-geon. Yes; that's LDG from, like, Sweet 18 and Lovers in Paris. Big guy, right?

Sakari

Post by Sakari » May 18th, '06, 09:34

x_XJules wrote:i believe he's using sarcasm.
I just edited that post of mine (post #1 in this thread). Let's hope for less confusion.

kenderkin88

Post by kenderkin88 » May 18th, '06, 12:40

Awwwwwwwww, but I LIKED the way it way worded. :lol You could always just put </sarcasm> at the end.. >.>

JadedAngel

Post by JadedAngel » May 18th, '06, 13:38

plumeria wrote:True I agree (the first post). K-dramas are very predictable. You already know what's going to happen when you watch the first time. BUT...somehow Kdramas seems to top; Jdramas and Cdramas nowdays what I mean by that is that it's the most watched. All those similar parts in K- dramas is like their signature. I do get very irritated watching some of the dramas though.

I think it's their acting that is the MOST of the MOST outstanding I've ever seen in any asian dramas. Beautiful voices. Plus they have the BEST of BEST OST even though in lyrics have "I Love You" alot :wub:. To me anyways. It's weird cuz I'm half korean and I'm saying these things...oh wells.

Alot of people who I talked to about Korean dramas, if Korea is really like that. People take it seriously and is curious. What they show in dramas aren't all true in reality. Maybe drinking, short tempered, eating ramen out of the pot, whacking heads, eating kimchi :P etc....

Speaking fluent Korean and trying to speak or learn english...it may sound funny or :crazy: but try put yourself in our place, you would have hard time as well. At least they try right ^_^

It's good to hear everyones opinions. At points it makes me feel embarassed to be korean :lol . Makes me feel like going to the writers and directors and changing their stories around for them hahaha. I'm speaking non sense I think I'm too tired. Bed time!
:lol Why be embarassed? All Its really not that much different for other countries. So much of American TV is predictable. As for the acting, you're right. though I love cdramas, the acting in kdramas are much better, at least most of the time.

amaranth

Post by amaranth » May 19th, '06, 07:47

plumeria wrote: Speaking fluent Korean and trying to speak or learn english...it may sound funny or :crazy: but try put yourself in our place, you would have hard time as well. At least they try right ^_^

You are SO right...
For comparison's sake: I almost choked when I watched last Wednesday's episode of Alias. I should first point out that even though I live in France, I'm an Italian national.
So, that episode of Alias was supposed to take place in Italy... and ohmygod, was it painful to hear American actors maim, mangle and mutilate the Italian language. My eardrums are still bleeding. Besides the obvious pronunciation issues (a justifiable problem since the main characters are American), the grammar was often wrong and what they said just didn't make sense! I had to read the subtitles to understand some of the dialogue...
Those mistakes can be accounted for when you consider it's American characters speaking a foreign language. But the worst was with the supposedly-Italian characters, who spoke terrible Italian. Clearly, not one of those actors could speak any Italian at all.
Imagine if you saw a non-English-speaking TV show where all the Merkins/Brits/Aussies/whatever spoke like Apu, the Kwik-E-Mart owner in the Simpsons. (comparatively, it would actually still be better than what I saw on Alias...)

Conclusion: bad English pronunciation is usually more "shocking" when you don't notice the (almost inevitably) bad pronunciation of other languages in English-speaking shows. Kim Yoon-Jin (she can speak Korean, what a surprise...) and Daniel Dae Kim on Lost being exceptions (oh yeah, the French woman Rousseau sounds nothing like French, by the way...)