Which Kdramas are Underrated?

Discuss Korean drama series here.
Eziya Minamoto

Post by Eziya Minamoto » Sep 22nd, '07, 00:25

Without a doubt, Soulmate!

aineliam

Post by aineliam » Sep 22nd, '07, 15:49

elaidiosa wrote: it's been said, but i'll say it again... SOULMATE! not your typicak K-drama... :D

just hope season two would push through..
wow looks interesting.. i just might start looking for this drama now

littledraci

Post by littledraci » Sep 22nd, '07, 19:40

Have to add Cloud Stairs with Shin Dong Wook, too (the guy from Soulmate). Even if the hospital-theme seems pretty normal, the whole drama itself was a bit diffrent from the rest:-)
For Soulmae...I watched the first 4 episodes and for me it wasn't that interesting :roll even if he looked better there than in Cloud Stairs ^-^ I don't really like it with too 'much' side-stories..

tha1

Post by tha1 » Sep 25th, '07, 01:57

Though its been mentioned more than once here, I still feel the need to express how Capital Scandal just blew my mind. The best kdrama this year!!! Better than Coffee prince and Money's Warfare combined and I've seen all three to critique. Cast, setting, and plots are surperb! I loved every minute of it.

EmKey

Post by EmKey » Sep 26th, '07, 15:07

"I am Sam" definitely didnt receive enough love on this forum. I heard its pretty big in Korea and there are lots of topics on other forums. Even though yesterday was last episode. No one posted torrents. I havent seen a single topic on d-addicts about I am Sam or cute Park Min Young. I ve seen 3 ep so far and its hilarious and its getting better and better with every episode. Too bad noone intends to sub it.
And RAWs have to be downloaded from Clubboxes instead DA tracker.

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/I'm_Sam

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Sep 27th, '07, 14:55

I too, am surprised I am Sam hasn't had any attention over here at d-addicts. Granted, I haven't seen any episodes yet, so I don't know whether it's any good or not, but Park Min Young is so cute 'n adorable, it has to be good! :) It's a real shame the show isn't being subbed though.

Anyway, your post has motivated me to create a [Park Min Young thread].

Jir@h

Post by Jir@h » Sep 27th, '07, 16:33

Yi San, King Jeong-Jo too didn't catch the attention d-addicts though it's a great drama which is currently airing.

franchosa

Post by franchosa » Sep 27th, '07, 19:05

Soulmate

Flowers For My Life

ohoud

Post by ohoud » Sep 27th, '07, 23:35

Thank You
Capital Scandal
Damo
Surgeon Bong Dal Hee

I'm Watching Thank You right now, I'm on episode 12, and I have to say that it's really good, No Dragging yet.. And I'm surprised with the lead actor and the little girl, The little Girl played her role very well as the out-casted kid with AIDS.. It's my first time seeing the leading actor and I wasn't expecting a lot from him, I honestly thought that he will ruin the mood for me, But I was Utterly mistaken, I consider him to be the BEST Korean male actor that I have seen...

Very good drama, and very Humane too..
Last edited by ohoud on Sep 28th, '07, 00:12, edited 1 time in total.

rambutan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rambutan » Sep 28th, '07, 00:02

Read 2 pages and no one mentioned 9.End.2.Outs?? Simplicity of plot but with such depth reminds me of Thank You, although the two stories are different. Both scriptwriters should win awards for 2007.

rambutan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rambutan » Sep 28th, '07, 00:04

Read 2 pages and no one mentioned 9.End.2.Outs?? The depth of the script reminds me of Thank You or Ruler of Your Own World, although the stories are different. The scriptwriter should win an award for 2007.

belleza

Post by belleza » Sep 28th, '07, 03:09

The depth of the script reminds me of Thank You or Ruler of Your Own World,
Wow, 9 Ends 2 Outs is really THAT good? Okay then, into the queue . . .

I think I Am Sam started airing on KBS World some weeks ago. But, I opted to rewatch Coffee Prince (same time slot on MBC) instead, because I Am Sam was drawing <10 ratings. I usually don't watch Korean comedies unless there's a really high concept or good buzz on the show. It has Yang Dong-geun, though. What's the general buzz on the show?

Might give Soulmate a shot too.
I consider him to be the BEST Korean male actor that I have seen...
Yeah, this was Jang Hyuk's comeback role from his military time. More known as a movie actor, he was also in Windstruck and Volcano High.

Thank You's my favorite K-drama this year. But it has a passionate following at Soompi and it beat both Witch and Mawang in head-to-head ratings, so I didn't qualify it as "underrated."

Some lesser known shows I liked this year so far. Spoilered for brevity
New Wise Mother, Good Wife
Very short K-drama (only 10 episodes!) that covers divorce, adultery, child custody rights, domestic abuse, and the changing attitude toward " ajumma." Did I mention that this was the funniest show I've seen all year? :D

It's a bit like Kim Sam Soon, in that both shows are wish fulfillment fantasies that also pointedly (even angrily) comment on the changing role of women in Korea. KSS is a middle finger for all the 30-something careerwomen; and this works almost as well for housewives who've fallen out of fashion against more hip, urban careerwives.

Surgeon Bong Dal-Hee
Surgeon Bong Dal-Hee had a moderate following at Soompi, but it regularly beat Dal Ja's Spring early this year in head-to-head ratings, average 22+, and it eventually won over critics that complained it was a Gray's Anatomy clone. Yes, this hospital soap bothers liberally from Gray's Anatomy and ER. But it also means that knows what's good, and this serial had a very well executed balance of personal melodrama, scrub slapstick, hospital politics, and good old fashioned BLOOD.

Especially notable is the top shelf cast. This show starts movie comic actor Lee Bum Soo in a serious "anti type" role. And he's exceptional as the intimidating, almost bullying, doctor. You can sense his gaze burning holes in our plucky hero Lee Yo Won. Besides Lee Bum Soo, you have Lee Yo Won of Fashion 70s and the film Splendid Holidays (detailing one of the most tragic days in South Korean history.) You got Kim Min Joon of Damo and Ireland, who uses his effortlessly dignifed charisma to contrast his rivalry with Lee Bum Soo. He plays well off his Someday costar Oh Yoon Ah (and Guess spokesmodel), who is developing into a really solid actress.

When Spring Comes
This was aired during Jumong's final run, so naturally nobody watched this. But if you did, you got a real treat in watching the Great Kim Gab Soo (who plays the chief in Time of Dog and Wolf) in a major role. Though he's not billed as a lead, he's essentially the star in this piece, and he's absolutely mesmerizing here. Devilishly, devilishly charming and, in one episode, absolutely heartbreaking. If there is a better, more memorable actor working in K-drama today, I haven't seen him yet. Lee Ha Na, who may be the most effortlessly bohemian actress since Lee Na Young, is also in this production and is spot-on with her role as a struggling musician. Fans of Alone in Love will immediately pick up the reprisal of their father-daughter dynamic from that show.

Overall the show doesn't work as a comedy or romance, but it's works great as a drama about community and family with some social commentary. The 2nd half of the story covers an ongoing issue in Seoul, the conflict over developing over run-down neighborhoods. The Seoul depicted here is much grittier than the dreamy one evoked in Coffee Prince.

Homicide Investigation Team (H.I.T.)
Brought to you by the director of All In and writer of Jewel in the palace, and yes it takes after CSI, Without a Trace, etc. But what keeps you going are two major things. First, Korean drama's charactersitic attention to detail toward interplay really adds a strong workplace element to this show. This team is dysfunctional, and here you can see how it affects how they try to solve their cases, including the main one involving a serial killer from our female protoganist's past. Second, the story involving the serial killer, especially the guy whom we learn is the killer, is well done -- creepy and gritty. it doesn't delve into the grim touch of evil of Mawang, but this guy's killings recall some of the perverse, troubling sense of justice of Se7en.

Sandglass alum Ko Hyun Jung is good here as the female protoganist. There's a workplace romance, but the romance is really, really dialed down in this show. Half of the drama covers her manhunt of the serial killer, and how it's shaped her life for the past 10 years or so. This is a really great character, fiercely resolute out of sad circumstances. Other half of the drama covers each of the other members of the team, and it nicely covers how their very strong personality and professional differences affects each case. The "home invasion" sequences are also excellent, on par with the other MBC thrillers this year, Time of Dog and Wolf, and Air City.

Ground Zero
Just mentioning this because I thought it was pretty good. This was a 2-episode special that aired before Time of Dog and Wolf went on air. It's about two families who lost loved ones during 9/11. I didn't understand much of it (wasn't subtitled), but Kim Gab Soo was also in this production. His performance is haunting. The look of emotional vacancy has is rarely been better conveyed. Probably, along with Mawang, some of the saddest bits of television I've seen this year. There's this scene with a cellphone that doesn't need translation.

And finally . . .

By Land and Sky
I'm new to daily dramas, but I realy enjoyed this one, which had been the #1 rated show on TV since Jumong went off air. Park Hae Jin is the next heartthrob. He is the new Hyun Bin.

Ssang

Post by Ssang » Sep 28th, '07, 04:58

THANK YOU should be getting more props, for sure.

The scene I like the most is when Jang Hyuk is standing by the shower, in his clothes, laughing delusionally when GHJ's character interupts him. The change of expression on Jang's face is among the single most chilling "visuals" from a kdrama I had ever experienced.

belleza

Post by belleza » Sep 28th, '07, 05:31

The scene I like the most is when Jang Hyuk is standing by the shower, in his clothes, laughing delusionally when GHJ's character interupts him.
That scene always makes me cry. And that's part of Lee Kyung Hee's talent as a writer; she doesn't write with the intellectual neatness of In Jung-Ok (Ruler of Your Own World, Ireland) and her critics feel that she tends to cop out a little to satisfy her audience, but she has a gift for piercing irony. And her sense of irony always makes us cry. :D

(People forget that in MiSa was very funny in the first half, and that this first half's satirical bite also elicits a sense of righteous anger from the audience at the mother/singer.)
Normally such a scene, the character sees her ghost and starts sobbing uncontrollably to elicit our sympathy. But here, she has the character laughing hysterically to show he's just completely at the end of his rope. He's lost it; and he knows he's lost it. And Jang Hyuk plays it perfectly, on the outside, he's curmudgheonly and hostile, but inside the man's soul is truly frayed. It's a cry for help, and he needs a miracle.

Or the scene where he's carrying the teddy bear along the road, with dead eyes and a slouch. To somebody who walks in the room, it's a silly, funny sequence. But to somebody who's followed the episode, it underlies this man's personal crisis, that he's both literally and figuratively lost. A superficially funny scene that is very sad.
A lot of the marvelous character writing in Thank You is IMO Lee Kyung Hee's middle finger over the expectations of her shows (i.e. the backlash over Love To Kill). Here, she writes us comical moments that underlie personal tragedy, that make us cry because we understand that "he's this way because . . ." And at the same time, she writes us melodramatic crisis moments in a haphazard, amused sense, as if to say "yeah, well, real life is tragically without sense, and sometimes people are bleeding right on the road. what are you gonna do?"

JlovesVan

underrated dramas...

Post by JlovesVan » Sep 29th, '07, 02:44

I will have to go with Soulmate, Loveholic, Biscuit Teacher and Smile Again. I really loved all of these dramas so much!!! I am surprised they don't get more hype.

maakopla

Post by maakopla » Sep 29th, '07, 13:28

I think that Smile Again was a good drama. Even though it had usual plot cast was great and it looked & sounded nice. Wonder why did it get such a cold responce?

miyukigrg

Post by miyukigrg » Oct 13th, '07, 15:54

well in my opinion
- soulmate
I loved this drama .it was completely different than other dramas.I liked the pairing of Shin Dong-wook & Lee Soo-kyung
- capital scandal
It was about rebel during japanese invasion .It was completely different than other period dramas.

sp4078

Post by sp4078 » Oct 14th, '07, 05:53

Soulmate for sure. I just finished the drama as your recommends here. And no question asked that this is WAY UNDERRATED. Just so refreshing, and funny at the same time. The OST is a hit.

jazzfan

Post by jazzfan » Oct 14th, '07, 06:17

I would vote for Flowers for My Life as an under-rated series...

bean

Post by bean » Oct 14th, '07, 07:05

Thank you underrated.

elden41

Post by elden41 » Oct 14th, '07, 07:10

I'm glad to see that Soulmate is mentioned in this thread. It deserves much more props than it receives. Soulmate has made my top 3 favorites, and I recommend this to everyone.

nophankh

Post by nophankh » Oct 14th, '07, 07:28

I don't know if I have posted here.

I have to agree with a lot of you that soulmate is a really underrated drama.

If anyone wants to watch soul mate.
I uploaded it to megaupload.
YOu can go to chinkymoviespoiler or go to Idols-Unlimited forums to find the links.

here's a link
http://chinkymovies.blogspot.com/2007/1 ... -mate.html

Oh the music is like amazing. I wished I can find a person who has a complete soulmate songs.

maakopla

Post by maakopla » Oct 17th, '07, 11:38

Now I've doscowered another underrated drama. Time of Dog and Wolf. Damn I think it came out wrong time cuz at the same time Coffee Prince was still on the top. Well not many ppl are fans of that kinda action but man this darma is awesome. Lee Jun Ki is such a good actor same goes for the rest of the cast. It's so damn exciting I think after watching this one it will be hard to find as good one.

m00nan6el

Post by m00nan6el » Oct 18th, '07, 12:58

maakopla wrote:Now I've doscowered another underrated drama. Time of Dog and Wolf. Damn I think it came out wrong time cuz at the same time Coffee Prince was still on the top. Well not many ppl are fans of that kinda action but man this darma is awesome. Lee Jun Ki is such a good actor same goes for the rest of the cast. It's so damn exciting I think after watching this one it will be hard to find as good one.
Hey I totally agree. I frst dl Coffee Prince due to its high rating, got disappointed straight away due to its predictable factor...I then dl Time of Dog & Wolf and totally in love with the show....

In my opinion, Coffee Prince is way too overrated while Time of Dog & Wolf is underrated...

Soulmate, mmm I dont know why people think its underrated. I dl 2 eps and couldnt digest the show, it was the first show ever I stop dling (normally doesnt matter how much I dislike the show I still keep dling)

I didnt know Capital Scandal is that good, I hate the 2 leads so I dont want to dl it...Plus atm there are too many good ones around: the Legend, Golden Bride, Lobbyist....oh my bandwith~~~

starryeyed

Post by starryeyed » Oct 20th, '07, 05:53

bean wrote:Thank you underrated.
Is thank you underrated? If I'm not mistaken it was well received in Korea and also in d-addicts and soompi.

I dont know, but i think Thank you was well received and not missed by the majority.

cierta

Post by cierta » Oct 22nd, '07, 13:23

Starfire12 wrote:The Sandglass. Even here ast d-addicts almost no one seems to have watched it.
I know! It's my most favorite, even though the storyline is more of drama than comedy. And the main guys are certainly eye-candy materials. So intense and nerve wracking...
Oh, and there's no illnesses (unless you count the dad's heart problem), just your regular mob and political drama ^_^

xtehdeb

Post by xtehdeb » Oct 22nd, '07, 22:17

snow queen
9 end 2 outs

jnieta11

Post by jnieta11 » Oct 24th, '07, 07:44

You're guys are right..soulmate is totally underrated..ppl should watch this..

hehrharz

Post by hehrharz » Oct 28th, '07, 09:26

I think All In is underrated. I began to watch it because my friends told me that this series is good, but the rating is not good, and after I watched it I find that it's a nice series...the rating must be much better than what it says.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Oct 28th, '07, 14:42

If you're talking about TV ratings then All In rated very well. I can't remember exactly but I think it easily averaged 30%+ or maybe even 40%. It's popularity here at d-addicts however, is not quite as impressive ;)

belleza

Post by belleza » Nov 2nd, '07, 18:43

All In was a megahit and was overall more popular than Full House. When people think of "SBS Blockbuster", they think of Sandglass and All In. Shows like Time of Dog and Wolf are very good, but they don't really compare with the insane amount of money and hype and Lee Byung Hun channeling his inner Al Pacino. From the standpoint of production and scale (and film score), I don't think SBS has ever really done anything since that matches up to All In.

I think, generally, SBS programs tend to get underrated here. If you look at the ratings breakdown, SBS has the #1 and #2 (non-daily drama) performers this year. A lot of SBS programming are melodramas pitched toward the late-20/30+ female audience.

That said, it's interesting seeing how the demographics for Korean dramas get broken down. The last time I went to the store, all the teens were picking up Coffee Prince (like, literally, they go into the store and go "Coffee Prince! Where is Coffee Prince! Hello, I am looking for the Coffee Prince.")

The 35+, grandmothers (they tend to look at the boxes seriously), and occasional Japanese section were looking at Green Rose and the Hallyu melodramas (Lovers in Paris, Stairway to Heaven, Winter Sonata, Autumn Tale, etc) and the sections heavily promoting Bae Yong Joon and Choi Ji Woo's dramas. The historical dramas like Jumong and Jewel in the Palace do well across the board with Chinese fans, but as an adjunct to their taste in regular Chinese historical dramas.

What gets kinda ignored are the other Korean dramas, stuff like Damo, Money Warfare, HIT, and even the soapy procedurals like Surgeon Bong Dal-Hee. And I mean, HIT comes in a *shiny* box too. But that stuff doesn't fit into either the rom-com or the melodrama set. Like for the last year, there's this older Ruler of Your Own World box -- the same one -- just sitting there waiting to get picked up. You can't tell it's Ruler, because it's entirely in Korean (and the box is in shades of yellow and purple), and nobody's bought that single one. Yet there's a healthy selection of Ireland, because Hyung Bin is in it.

What's interesting is that there seems to be a gap for K-dramas in the 25-35 crowd. That's probably the audience most inclined to really take on the SBS superdramas or the offbeat MBC human dramas. That's kinda what gets underrated here.
I think that Smile Again was a good drama. Even though it had usual plot cast was great and it looked & sounded nice. Wonder why did it get such a cold responce?
I haven't seen Smile Again, but I heard it drew bad buzz. Truth is, after 2004, most melodramas in general performed badly.

tannsx

'Lovers in Prague' and 'Alone in Love' are also underrated.

Post by tannsx » Nov 3rd, '07, 10:07

everything was great in both dramas.

fullhouserox

Post by fullhouserox » Nov 3rd, '07, 11:24

imo time of dog and wolf is definately underrated... to me it was a great drama... the storyline is different from most kdramas... also it has lots of suspense which makes u wanna watch more... plus there's no harm that LJK looks really good in the show... =)

m1tch13

Post by m1tch13 » Nov 3rd, '07, 23:09

The Vineyard Man,
Get Karl! Oh Soo Jung

They're so good. Certainly the best Kdramas I've seen. Idk why they're not talked about too much.

maakopla

Post by maakopla » Nov 4th, '07, 10:21

Get Karl is certainly really good! I think it got pretty good rewievs or? Kinda got a bit boring halfway but still a drama worth watching^^

zooey
Philippines

Post by zooey » Nov 4th, '07, 10:48

From last season's roster... I'd have to say "FLOWERS FOR MY LIFE". It's well-written, funny and quirky. Plus, the melodrama isn't drawn out like other dramas working on the same premise.

It may not have the romantic flair or the frenetic draw to marathon all episodes at one go like its contemporaries, but it's definitely one of those underrated stuff you shouldn't miss out on. So if you're looking for something different, a drama you can watch at a leisurely pace, you should give this one a try. :-)

tengue17
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by tengue17 » Nov 27th, '07, 12:44

zooey wrote:From last season's roster... I'd have to say "FLOWERS FOR MY LIFE". It's well-written, funny and quirky. Plus, the melodrama isn't drawn out like other dramas working on the same premise.

It may not have the romantic flair or the frenetic draw to marathon all episodes at one go like its contemporaries, but it's definitely one of those underrated stuff you shouldn't miss out on. So if you're looking for something different, a drama you can watch at a leisurely pace, you should give this one a try. :-)
agree!
Flowers for my life is the 3rd best out of all kdrama that i have watched.

queeniebee

Post by queeniebee » Nov 27th, '07, 17:12

pongalong wrote:i think that "All In" and "Beautiful Days" are both way way way underrated.. Lee Byung Hun is like Mel Gibson or if you don't like Mel Gibson, Johnny Depp. and if you don't like either, to put it simply, LBH is a brilliant actor. the dramas themselves are written beautifully. i love them both, no one important dies... well minor characters do but eh who cares about them and the actresses are amazing as well. Choi Ji Woo and Song Hye Gyo, i mean how could you go wrong? i'm so sad that LBH isn't in any more dramas, but you should really check him out. he's not the greatest looking guy, but he can sure pull off that "mr. cool aura."
again.. can't stress it enough, you have to watch it.. you won't regret it!
When I watched All in, I thought he reminded me of Arnorld Swarzniger (however his name is spelt. All in is one of my all times favourites

belleza

Post by belleza » Nov 29th, '07, 06:21

Below has a list of the top 11 shows done by an informal Naver poll

http://www.dramabeans.com/2007/11/how-was-2007-for-you/

1 White Tower
2 Time of Dog and Wolf
3 Coffee Prince
4 Que Sera Sera
5 HIT
6 Unstoppable High Kick
7 Conspiracy in the Court
8 Mixed-Up Investigative Agency
9 My Man’s Woman
10 Devil
11 Thank You

Not sure how much stock you can put into a poll where the top rated trendy of the year, Money of Warfare, doesn't make the top 11. But the list looks really good, and it's a good place to start your Underrated of 2007 list. And "The Voice" Lee Sung Gyung was in both #1 and #3. Good on him!!

White Tower and My Man's Woman are the big ones that I still want to see. I caught an episode of White Tower on TV -- one of the middle eps -- and it felt very much like an extended J-drama. Of course it's actually based on a J-drama, and I always see the original Shiroi Kyoto show at the store.

mannymo

Post by mannymo » Jan 4th, '08, 05:40

Gotta say Soulmate is really underrated....and it has been so much underrated they're not making season2............. :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

I did give flowers for my life a try, but it just wasn't my cup of tea or mayb it gets better in the end. I quit somewhere half way i think. I did like the story and the main female lead but the main male lead unbelievable annoying to me (cant stand his face :P)..

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Jan 4th, '08, 15:01

I find Cha Tae Hyun quite annoying as well, and seriously don't understand what's good about him. He was in the right place at the right time back in 2001 for My Sassy Girl and has been a major attraction ever since.

As for most underrated k-drama? Soulmate, of course.

FoolyDooly

Post by FoolyDooly » Jan 4th, '08, 15:25

Flowers for my Life wasn't that great imo. I like Cha Tae Hyun, tho. And his life and his acting is pretty damn natural. Also, his very honest with his work, if you listened to his albums or watched entertainment shows with him in it (such as YaShimManMan).

Also, reason Money War / Chun-e-JunJang didn't made it was there was lot of criticism due to drama being non-canon to manhwa original. I personally liked it better then manhwa to some degree, though with agreeable with manwhaga (mangaka in Korean), Geum Nara didn't have same kick as manhwa version.

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » Jan 8th, '08, 07:41

I can't believe I finished 9 ends 2 outs in 2 days O_O i haven't done that for a long time. This is so underrated. It's so cute and sweet. The actress did a wonderful job, though at times I got annoyed with the actors expressios (his bored, angry and annoyed expressions are too similar) but it's one of the cutest/sweetest storyline, though i thought it was a bit cliche at certain points. It's almost as sweet as 18 vs. 29.... almost. but not quite

bjharm

Post by bjharm » Jan 8th, '08, 07:44

Try Sweet Spy or and Wedding
both where made the same year I think, and where not well received at the time

JlovesVan

underrated

Post by JlovesVan » Jan 9th, '08, 03:50

I have to go with Soulmates, which is now my all time favorite drama. Too bad it didn't catch on more because it was brilliant.

I also have to say Time of Dog and Wolf and Lucifer were underrated. I found both of those to be entirely enjoyable. A nice break away from the romcom and formulaic romance dramas in general.

Another I really liked was Bad Family which didn't seem to get much love. I was highly amused by it :P

Also Capital Scandal. I know it cleaned up at the awards so it clearly wasn't underrated in the grand scheme of things but referring to the discussion on this board. Many steered clear of it which is too bad, it was fantastic!

White Star

Post by White Star » Jan 15th, '08, 04:47

vineyard man
H.I.T. ...welll oversea at least...the drama got pretty high rating in Korea

nooblet245

Post by nooblet245 » Jan 20th, '08, 13:35

Alone in Love should also fall in this category as well.. that drama was good =)

Alone in Love and Soulmate is in my top 5 kdramas evar!

harharpan

Post by harharpan » Feb 20th, '08, 18:22

Thanks for the list guys~ I wanna try these out since I usually watch the big name dramas.. x_x gah, I gotta stop that..

guccijana

Post by guccijana » Feb 21st, '08, 17:20

--NINE TAILED FOX AKA. GUMIHO AKA FORBIDDEN LOVE
-- Dalj ja's spring-it was AMAZING, my favorite after full house--yet not many people saw it!!

michca

Post by michca » Feb 21st, '08, 17:59

guccijana wrote:--NINE TAILED FOX AKA. GUMIHO AKA FORBIDDEN LOVE
-- Dalj ja's spring-it was AMAZING, my favorite after full house--yet not many people saw it!!
I completely agree with you on these.

Gumiho was original and interesting (I heart Jun Jin in this) and Dal Ja was just brilliant and cute.

Also 18 vs. 29. I know this has been mentioned, but I need to bring it up again. An original plot with great acting...and no cancer! Love it. :thumleft:

fairytwix
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by fairytwix » Feb 21st, '08, 19:23

hmmm...for me, capital scandal was the most underrated drama... they didn't even gain a lot of viewership ratings in korea either i think..and not a lot of people here watched it either..i thought it had a good storyline, great cast chemistry...it was soo addicting, but not many viewers watched it..too bad..

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Feb 22nd, '08, 19:32

Robber / Bul Han Dang
SBS drama that's almost finished airing and competing against Hong Gil Dong and New Heart for ratings.

I think this is Lee Da Hae's best acting yet (although I haven't seen Green Rose) and lovers of Jang Hyuk will love him even more after watching a few episodes. This series has some of the best acting I have ever seen in any drama. You'll find nothing in it but complex, convincing characters. So far, I haven't seen any of the KDrama cliches either. There's no prince charming meets cinderella nor clingy antagonists. It's very unpredictable and enjoyable.

vividly1

Post by vividly1 » Feb 29th, '08, 16:11

" capital scandal"

"me ri, dea gu attack and defense battle"

just finished me ri, dae go attack and defense battle. you got to see this.
it's best of the best.

nadesico
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by nadesico » Feb 29th, '08, 18:08

SOULMATE SOULMATE SOULMATE!!
Seriously, this is probably one of the best drama I've seen so far: awesome storyline, awesome cast, awesome soundtrack, awesome filming...I just don't understand why it's not more widely known, this series is so underrated it hurts.

asdfghj

Post by asdfghj » Feb 29th, '08, 18:45

Thank you..

JUMONG...oh my god...if u haven't seen this then you haven't seen a good historical drama yet....its better than DJG.....there is somethin about JUMONG that makes it way better than DJG......dnt be doscouraged by the 81 eps...its worth it....an u will jus wanna to see more.......no joke.

DJ'S SPRING....is good an modern...its kinda like...present day..realistic....n a feel in love with lee min ki....his actin was good....

Surgeon BDL....gooodddddddddddddddd.....seriously..........

LOVERS....leeeeeeee soeeeeeeeee jinnnnnnnnnnn....oh my god...is dr any kactor better than him....that guy has the charm...the chemistry...da dimples...lol...am crazy bout him....but the movie is good...if you interested in gangsters....plus romance...plus the good bad boy...this the drama....plot good...acting superb........an interesting

michca

Post by michca » Feb 29th, '08, 19:17

I didn't think Jumong was underrated (esp since it is a period drama) and I know AZN or Imaginasian tv has shown the entire series like 3 times. I think it was pretty good though, so if people haven't seen it, they should give it a try.

Emperor of the Sea as well...I don't think it did that well, but I think it was brilliant. Great acting and good subplots...actually, this is one of the shows that got me hooked on kdramas. ^^

beertax

Post by beertax » Mar 2nd, '08, 22:23

Jumong fans, even if you love the drama please don't pose it as historical. It is at best a loose interpretation of the several facts and many mythologies that describe that period in time. But I do admit that at least its not as bad as Dae Jo Yong, which did a blatant disservice to korean history.

kawaiimomo

Post by kawaiimomo » Mar 2nd, '08, 22:50

OMG Alone in Love was SO underrated! it's one of my faves and yet so few people ever mention it!! :-( it was such a touching series and i loved how funny and sad it was! ep 15 made me cry a lot! :cry: so touching!!

belleza

Post by belleza » Mar 3rd, '08, 14:34

Yeah, I wouldn't call Jumong underrated. Sure, sageuks are off the soompi/d-addicts map, but Jumong completely dominated 2006, spurned the current run of sagueks, and IMO helped precipitate the current slump in KBS programming.

It's a terrific introduction to the wonderfully bearded world of sageuks because it doesn't let historical accuracy (or uhh interesting interpretation of Sino-Hangu relations) get in the way of telling the Korean blend between All In, King Lear and the Ten Commandments. Han Empire, let my peeps go boo!! :D

That all, my mum and I are kinda divided on the show. She wouldn't let me call her on the nights Jumong was airing. But, as much fun as the show was -- and it was a blast -- she kinda thought the show was uneven and wasn't substantial enough. Like, you kinda felt that the writing let Jumong off the hook when really hard decisions needed to be made. That said, you'd expect that out of a 81 episode show, and well those 100+ KBS dramas are always like that.

In terms of underrated dramas, I would recommend both Surgeon Bong Dal-Hee and New Heart. K-drama is just a perfect, perfect format for the hospital soap, and both shows did terrific ratings. And if you're looking for a more hardcore medical drama, you can step up to the White Tower (what is with Asia and "White Tower" btw? Shiroi Kyoto, the Hospital, White Tower, etc.)

You can see the Gray's Anatomy influences BIG TIME in Bong Dal-Hee, but the craftmanship in Bong Dal-Hee is just so solid. There's one soap subplot too many, but other than that, it's a wonderful example of the genre.There's more blood and guts than Jumong; many of the patient cases extend over multiple episodes; people die regularly; and there's deft scrubs humor.

I've just started New Heart (which outperformed Coffee Prince and almost did as well as The Four Gods) and this one is also a lot of fun. Less soap, more medical geekery. If you like medical J-dramas, where there is emphasis on fighting spirit and lotsa lotsa ooh-look-at-that -- then one looks like a winner. Also, the lead cast rocks; you got Jo Jae Hyun (one of the funniest Korean actors out there), a really spirited Ji Sung, Kim Min Jung, and Lee Ji Hoon.

didiellza

Post by didiellza » Mar 3rd, '08, 23:07

1. JUMONG:
I didn't want to start watching Jumong first because of the 81 episodes, then another reason was because it was a historic drama (don't ask me why but at that time i didn't like historic dramas beside Damo). And the last reason was becaus of Song Il g**k. he was not handsome for me (please fans of him don't hate me). I had a hard decision to make when I stared to watch it.
But thanks God that I listened for the first time the others opinions. ( i am the typ who never listens to other people, because I think that someone likes a drama and the other not, it depens on the person's taste.) But Jumong really suprised me. The story was great, the actors and actresses were fabulous (yes even Song II g**k captured my heart, not with his look but with his charm), it was sad, funny and entertaining. Not to mention Jumong three cuys, they were soo funny I felt so often from my chair because I couldn't stop laughing because of them.
THE BEST HISTORIC DRAMA I HAVE WATCHED SO FAR!!! :w00t: (and my listof historic dramas has grown up since I watched Jumong)

2. Capital Scandal
GREAT DRAMA it got 4 stars out of 5 stars from me. the minus 1 star was because the ending was a little bit disappointing.
The only reason why i didn't want to watch Capital Scandal was really just because of KANG JI HWAN. I really hated him. I saw him at Exhibitions of Fireworks for the first time. I liked him even though I thought he has to improve at his acting skils a little bit more. Then (and I think that was my biggest mistake) I watched him in 90 Days falling in Love. i didn't like anything at this drama. The storyline was bullshit and their acting was horrible for me. (Maybe because the thought of two cousins falling in love with each other is disgusting and makes me vomit).
Again thanks to god that I stared to watch HONG GIL DONG (HGD and New Heart best dramas in 2008) I started to like him again and made my mind to watch Capital Scandal. AND DAMN IT, it was worth watching it , he is soo funny (just the way he was dressed was horrible for me) and charming. Han Ji Min and He have really great chemistry on screen.

The other dramas I mentioned were only underrated from me, and were both highly rated, but "3.The Person I Love" did really not get high ratings and i really don't know why. Even though the ending was confusing but I really was suprised how good it was.
I wanted to see how Kim Dong Wan was performing as an actor, so I started to watch it. I love him as a singer and enterainer (he is so cute and funny, and he is my favourite member of Shinhwa). This drama made me ME a huge fan of Dong Wan (who has seen every episode of x-man, love letter. YSMM etc. shows with eng subs) to really hate him so muuuch, that I really had to rewatch all x-man, love letter etc show, so that I could love him again. His character was really soo bad, you had only to hate him and feeling sympathy for him was impossible. I was amazed by Dong Wan's bravery to take such a hateful character and his acting was more than OK but surly he has to improve too. Not to mention the leading actress Han Eun Jung (the bad girl from Full House and Wonderful life). I had only seen her acting as a bad and selfish person. I never liked her as an actress and she was never beautiful for me. But she showed me that she really can act and that she is in deed beautiful.
I really highly recommend this Drama. WATCH IT IF YOU DON'T HAVE!

LittleWashu

Post by LittleWashu » Mar 3rd, '08, 23:18

I've seen a lot of my faves listed in this thread:

Get Karl
9 End 2 Outs (like another poster, I finished it up in just a few days)
Bad Family
Vineyard Man.
Come Back Soon Ae

I like shows with a strong comedy element and eccentric or quirky characters.

I haven't seen Soulmate, but so many people are mentioning it here I think I'd better check it out!

fairytwix
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by fairytwix » Mar 3rd, '08, 23:22

nadesico wrote:SOULMATE SOULMATE SOULMATE!!
Seriously, this is probably one of the best drama I've seen so far: awesome storyline, awesome cast, awesome soundtrack, awesome filming...I just don't understand why it's not more widely known, this series is so underrated it hurts.

oh yes...THIS TOO!!!! apart from capital scandal..seriously...im soooo gutted that just cos the casts were mostly or relatively UNKNOWN to most of us, we just overlook it and don't get to watch it..such a shame really..this drama makes me-a non-believer- WANT to believe in FATE..hahahaah..its hella good... im seriously gutted theyr not doin a season 2 for this!!!! :cussing: :cussing:

hmmm..i wonder if you can call Jumong underrated...coz i DO know that a lot of people here on DA actually watched it..lol..idk..mebbe not as much as "the legend"(thanks to BYJ) or "hong gil dong"...but i don't think you could actually consider it underrated...

also, i think 9-End-2-outs was also underrated...ok, so the first few eps were a bit shaky, and there were moments when they introduced new characters badly..and makes you wonder who the hell are they, but it gets better..and i like the laid-back attitude it gives off...

bong dal hee was a defo good one..idk if its underrated or not..but i do think its brill..no point comparing it to new heart, coz even if they both have the "medical-hospital" theme, the storyline goes off into different directions...SBDLH focuses a lot of individual lives, and has GOOD humour, and intensive amount of medical info to boot, and GRAPHIC op procedures.. on the other hand, new heart has more "romance" feel into it..oh yes..most defo on that..i love the humour on this one too..heheheh..altho, this one seems more bright and breezy..if you know what i mean.. rough comparison that i can make for them would be: bong dal hee=grey's anatomy/ER, New Hear= iryu(jdrama)

Archaenon

Post by Archaenon » Mar 3rd, '08, 23:30

Almost all of them really. I used to watch only j and tw dramas and I admit the couple of years I've been watching Kdramas I can't go back. They have a much better depth to them and most of the time better stories and characters.

I think in the last couple of years it was Fantasy Couple/ Love or Trouble , Evasive Inquiry Agency , Bad Couple , Bad Family .
I don't think they got the praise they deserve. =o

^ I need to watch emporer of the sea, sadly I've been obsessing over Hong Gil Dong and watching Dae Jo Young.

empressayame

Post by empressayame » Apr 4th, '08, 11:30

i think "In-Soon is pretty" was pretty underrated. It had a really good message and was light-hearted and funny. It made you feel nice and cry too. Great leads (Kim Hyun-Joo and Kim Min-Joon). I highly recommend this drama.

*member*

Post by *member* » Apr 4th, '08, 17:53

for me they are as follow:

1. Alone in Love (Gam Woo Sung and Son Ye Jin). its a grown up relationship mess drama but it realy good

2. Resurrection / Rebirth ( Uhm Tae Woong and Ha Ji Min) its a very smart drama. gets you thinking very real. i trulu enjoy it

3. Air City( choi ji woo and lee jung jae) choi doesnt cry her eyes out in this one which is a pretty good reason.

mist1105

Post by mist1105 » Apr 7th, '08, 10:07

Wow, after reading the entire thread (luckily it only has 10 pages at the moment :D) I'm definitely going to watch Soulmate. :)

Sadly, I only saw one other person recommend Let's Goto School Sang-Doo!. I was wondering if no one else really liked it, because I thought this really was one of Rain's better acting dramas. (... well if I remembered correctly he's only been in three... and in A Love to Kill his acting was AWESOME but the storyline just SUCKED). It being his first, this drama was so touching. But that's something I thought was completely underrated. :) One of my fav dramas.

Personally, I think Coffee Prince was a little OVERrated. =x. I was kinda upset after I finished watching it truth be told. But that's just me x)

Silentwolfdog

Post by Silentwolfdog » Apr 8th, '08, 02:50

Wow, I feel little bad now. Even though I have downloaded all ep of Soulmate, I have stopped watch after a few ep. For some reason, that show didn't grab my urge to finish all of it. I guess I'll try again.

ReSoAdhoc

I

Post by ReSoAdhoc » Apr 8th, '08, 03:21

Silentwolfdog wrote:There are also deaf fans of Asian drama, so it would help all of us if spoken English is subbed as well even if it is just one word or one sentence out of whole sentences. So we would not be lost when subtitles suddenly disappered when they speak little English.
I'm trying to learn Korea/Japanese by watching "dramas." Most dramas, however, are too sappy to even watch. Therefore I think that funny dramas are seriously under-rated. All the funny K-dramas are set aside and really bummer ones are subbed instead.

To Silentwolfdog: Most of what they say in English is only to show off. If you understood what they said would be pointless and if you could hear them you would only be offended by their horrible accent.

Silentwolfdog

Post by Silentwolfdog » Apr 8th, '08, 03:39

^ Well, I just think it's awkward to see the subtitles disappear for a couple of seconds. Then you goes like, "Huh? What?" It's just distracting, at least for me. Also it depends on what drama you are watching.

Think of Goong S, I think there was person who spoke in English because he came from UK.
Luckily, the fansub group that did it subbed most of what he said.

I would want to know if Korean actor said "I love you." in English! Wouldn't that be important to the plot? Heh.

But I think it's frustrating especially in Japanese drama because English is often used in school drama and I get to miss out the jokes that come with it. I think "My Boss, My Hero" is one of example.
But it's good to know that most of the time it is just for show off. :)

Sorry for going off topic.

Hanjae
Fansubber
Fansubber

Re: I

Post by Hanjae » Apr 8th, '08, 03:41

ReSoAdhoc wrote:I'm trying to learn Korea/Japanese by watching "dramas." Most dramas, however, are too sappy to even watch. Therefore I think that funny dramas are seriously under-rated. All the funny K-dramas are set aside and really bummer ones are subbed instead.
What dramas are you referring to when you say that funny dramas are seriously underrated and unsubbed? I'm interested, because I can't really think of too many examples that fit that description.

There are many dramas mainly focused on the comedy side that's popular AND subbed these days, from what I can remember. Hong Gil Dong is hardly underrated, particularly by the netizen community. Romance/comedies like Coffee Prince/Dal Ja's Spring/Hello! Miss/Witch Yoo Hee aren't underrated either. I'd probably slot the first and last two in the overrated category, actually.

Emi801

Post by Emi801 » Apr 8th, '08, 04:05

Last Scandal, which is airing right now seems to be underrated ;_; It's so good! but no one is subbing it, the raws haven't been uploaded here, and no one seems to be discussing it. It's such a shame, because I think it's one of the best dramas I have watched in a while. The main couple has such great chemistry :D

beertax

Post by beertax » Apr 8th, '08, 04:11

It seems that On Air is underrated on this forum.

madrias

Post by madrias » Apr 8th, '08, 04:31

i'd say the vineyard man is underrated. good thing the kind souls here subbed it for people to discover how wonderful a series it was. another one would be old maid's dairy. it was a daily sitcom and had like more than 150+ eps i think. it's funny, endearing and touching. it shows different aspects of life, love and relationships of a 30+ year old woman voice actress who still lived with her father, uncle and three grandmothers. it also tackled the lives of her two girl bestfriends, 2 guy friends and a very young driven guy boss.

melica37

Post by melica37 » Apr 8th, '08, 04:35

Emi801 wrote:Last Scandal, which is airing right now seems to be underrated ;_; It's so good! but no one is subbing it, the raws haven't been uploaded here, and no one seems to be discussing it. It's such a shame, because I think it's one of the best dramas I have watched in a while. The main couple has such great chemistry :D
I would watch that in a second if it was being subbed... so sad.

myjaehee

Post by myjaehee » Apr 8th, '08, 04:51

you must see :

bad couple (i could finish withn a few days... but seem not many people know bout this drama) :wub:

18 vs 29 (oldie but luv the actor ) :-)

soulmate (beautiful storyline and ost) :D

9 ends 2 out (cute couple ever) :cheers:

dalja's spring ( luv lee mi ki) :wub:

man of the vineyard ( watch it!!!) :lol