Coffee Prince Number One Shop (MBC, 2007)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Sep 18th, '07, 03:53

I finally caved and decided to watch this show. A little late, I know. So far (after 2 episodes), I'm finding the YuJu-HanSung love story more interesting, (she's really pretty!), but that's probably because the main leads haven't made any progress with their relationship. Honestly, I still don't like Yoon Eun Hye any more than I did before. I guess her acting did get better though. Someone on a blog wrote "after watching Coffee Prince, I saw a side of YEH that I had never seen before. And it disgusted me". :O That's what I was afraid would happen when I started watching it. I'm trying my best to keep an open mind though! :D I hope this show really does turn out as good as people say.

belleza

Post by belleza » Sep 18th, '07, 04:50

I'm finding the YuJu-HanSung love story more interesting, (she's really pretty!),
Yeah, Chae Jung Ahn (YuJu's actress) is considered a natural beauty (media); she was a dance-pop singer in the 90s, and then she transitioned over to acting. Had a good role in Emperor of the Sea, and like a lot of crossover artists, starred in a Lee Kyung Hee (MiSa, SangDo, Time to Kill, Thank You) drama -- Breathless / I'm Running. Which, BTW, was Eric Mun's first drama.

bria333

Post by bria333 » Sep 18th, '07, 05:32

thanks to all that recommended this show. I normally only watch jdrama as the few kdrama I have tried seem really draggy and over the top. I loved this program and I am now thinking to try another one? Any recommendations for romances that don't involve illness, memory loss etc. I am after something like this that has great characters and the plot keeps moving.
If you are hesitating give this one a go!!!!

nophankh

Post by nophankh » Sep 18th, '07, 05:49

bria333 wrote:thanks to all that recommended this show. I normally only watch jdrama as the few kdrama I have tried seem really draggy and over the top. I loved this program and I am now thinking to try another one? Any recommendations for romances that don't involve illness, memory loss etc. I am after something like this that has great characters and the plot keeps moving.
If you are hesitating give this one a go!!!!
Try "time of dog and wolf', it's pretty good. I have to warn you that there are a lot of corny fighting scenes. It does improve as the drama progress. I loved the car chase in ep. 6, it looked so real. It's a pretty fast-paced drama. The ending was pretty decent too. The subs for this series is done too. This is an action/thriller/romance drama.

But for a straight out romance/comedy, you should try out Dal Ja's spring. It's freaking hilarious and they even make fun of drama cliche.
Last edited by nophankh on Sep 18th, '07, 06:15, edited 1 time in total.

bria333

Post by bria333 » Sep 18th, '07, 05:57

Thanks nophankh,

sounds good - will give them a try!

belleza

Post by belleza » Sep 18th, '07, 06:15

bria333--

Alone in Love It's not only my all-time favorite Asian drama, it's the standard by which I judge all other work. The only drama where after every episode I privately thanked the gods for blessing me with a show with such crystalline acting, wit, insight, and filmic detail. And just truth, oh the wisdom of this show. These people could be you or me or your friends. You just know these characters because they are so real.

Alone in Love was an Korean adaptation of a Japanese novel by the late Hisashi Nozawa, who also screenwrote many Japanese dramas in the 90s. That novel The Love Generation (not related to the J-drama) won several prizes for its dramedic look at a divorced couple. It's like watching a 16-episode film, and it's like watching the most perfect fusion of a Korean and Japanese drama. The ratings weren't particularly high, but critics fell in love with it and it became a sort of mania show and it ended up various end-of-year awards.

DancerX

Post by DancerX » Sep 18th, '07, 21:56

queequeg wrote:
Dancer X wrote:

I really dug Coffee Prince for it's witty dialogue and strong ensemble performance, but I felt that there were some flaws. Please feel free to comment on my criticisms:

POTENTIAL SPOILERS AHEAD!

1) Did any other guy find the Eun Chan character unattractive? I mean, she was cute in a boyish way, but I don't really get any full blooded heterosexual guy actually wanting to kiss her while she is in boy mode (or do more). I do realize that this is a drama written by a woman for a female audience, so maybe Eun Chan is the kind of character a woman thinks a guy would want, rather than the kind of woman a guy would actually want?
I agree with Dancer X that Eun Chan was not attractive at all. But maybe that was the point. The more unattractive Eun Chan the more "real" the love would be from Han Kyul. It would be for the inside Eun Chan, not her outside appearance. As he said, he'd love her even if she was an alien. However, they did go a little overboard, IMHO, with what I call the "Ew-Yuck" factor. I mean, really, even though it was funny, would you see someone pick a piece a meat off the floor and eat it and go "Ooo baby, kiss me now!". Or watch someone shove a ladle full of kimchi in her mouth and proceed to talk with her mouth open and go "Isn't she gorgeous?". I felt the same way watching Kim Sam soon. She was nasty and unattractive but the guy loved her anyway. Barring this whole concept of "inside beauty" I did find myself looking for some reason why a guy would find Eun Chan attractive and besides being hard-working and cheerful couldn't find anything. Again, maybe if they had just made her a less disgusting eater I would have reacted better. So, I just went with the concept and stopped looking and just enjoyed.
It was obvious that the story required Han Kyul to be attracted to Eun Chan. What was not obvious to me was the motivation that was presented in the drama series. In the book, it was implied that Han Kyul had homosexual tendencies, which is why he couldn't settle down with a normal girl. Someone butch like Eun Chan would be perfect. But in the drama, it was established that Han Kyul was attracted to Yoo Joo, which made him more or less heterosexual. Perhaps it's too much to expect a Korean drama to tolerate latent homosexuality, but it would have made the story more interesting and believable. For example:
During the scene at the end of 16 where Han Kyul smashes Eun Chan against the door and kisses her, she's wearing jeans and looks like a 12-year old boy. Since I'm not a homosexual pedophile, this scene temporarily took me out of the drama. And since as far as I can tell, Han Kyul is supposed to be heterosexual, I should be able to identify with his feelings, and I can't . I'm not sure this scene was necessary, and it seemed rather clumsily put together. She comes over in spite of his objections and hangs out until he gets aroused? Was she horny? Or was she just trying to keep him on the hook since she was leaving? I was not clear on either of their motives since I'm not fond of 12-year old boys, and it's hard to tell what she was thinking.
In the book Eun Chan is described as a disturbingly attractive guy to Han Kyul. I don't think YEH or any of the other 100 pound actresses could really pull of the book's butch/amazon description. I think what would have been more interesting would have been to use someone like Lee Joon Ki (King & the Clown) in drag for the "disturbingly attractive" guy effect. Then you would have a guy pretending to be a girl pretending to be a guy! Interesting viewing, but probably too avante garde for mainstream Korean drama.

belleza

Post by belleza » Sep 19th, '07, 00:31

SPOILEREd for brevity
But in the drama, it was established that Han Kyul was attracted to Yoo Joo, which made him more or less heterosexual.
Yes, but Han Kyul and Yoo Joo had a unusual relationship. Not "Will and Grace" per se, but it reminded me of the straight/non-straight friendships back in university (which for me was a big, big reason I really took to Coffee Prince.) They could be affectionate, but over time, it had shifted over into a platonic, sexless thing; she never saw him as a man; he eventually came to see her like an older sister. Han Sung accepted it; Eun Chan doesn't understand it.
In the book, it was implied that Han Kyul had homosexual tendencies, which is why he couldn't settle down with a normal girl. Someone butch like Eun Chan would be perfect.
Mmm . . . it made that point in the first episode, but it didn't underline too pointedly (aside from Han Kyul's "my gay lover" gameplan.) But it's there.

He doesn't have strong emotional connections with most women (and a pleasant, but somewhat distant relationship with mom.) His strongest connection is actually toward his cousin Han Sung, because they hung out together since childhood. He has a strong attachment toward his childhood things. In addition ,since learning about his family at 16, he's kinda lived in arrested development, consciously shirking his responsibilities and identity as an adult to prolonging a second adolescence. This is probably true with Han Sung too, though intrinsically tied with his stagnant relationship with Yoo Joo.

The thing with Eun Chan is that she doesn't look so much like a dude, as she looks like a pre-adolescent boy, and she naturally lacks the basic self-defense mechanics that most grown men have. Therefore, Eun Chan is essentially the "perfect storm" for him. Han Kyul revisits his youth with Eun Chan, especially in being physically close to boy-thing Eun Chan where a straight guy would say "hey dude, back off man." Eun Chan does Han Kyul is able to see in Eun Chan an example of somebody who -- to him -- has reconciled his own arrested development -- Eun Chan acts like a kid and yet assumes the responsibilities of family breadwinner.

Han Kyul doesn't so much fall in love with a guy, but a boy. Had Han Kyul realized that Eun Chan was a girl all along, I don't think he falls in love with her. His perception of her (the "I shared things with her that I would never tell a woman") was so key into allowing himself to try certain things with Eun Chan. Eun Chan may be a little green in dating, but she is still a woman and she still very much cares about what *she* is to him.

Where I give Eun Hye a lot of credit in her acting is that she was able to beautifully articulate the point where Eun Chan loses her gender identity to Han Kyul (right about the time Eun Chan starts admitting her feelings.) It is as if she lost her hair and breasts in the eyes of this one man whom she loves, and that she has become a thing to him. This is one of the worst feelings a young woman can feel toward a man she loves, when she feels she can no longer protect/sustain her own sexual identity. It isn't just an issue of trust anymore -- Eun Chan is afraid that Han Kyul will see her as a freak, and Eun Hye acts well enough to express this sentiment without overstating the dialogue.

If Coffee Prince were a film, Han Kyul may acts in some savage manner upon her learning the betrayal, and then Eun Chan probably kills herself. Also the story would have observed Korea's attitudes toward physical appearance and clear separation between masculinity and femininity (unless you're LJK, of course. :) ) It's a big deal any popular TV actress would want to take this kind of role. Here, we get the rom-com G-rated version. Han Kyul kisses her violently; Eun Hye does nonstop crying for 2 straight episodes.
I think what would have been more interesting would have been to use someone like Lee Joon Ki (King & the Clown) in drag for the "disturbingly attractive" guy effect. Then you would have a guy pretending to be a girl pretending to be a guy!
Yeah, I thought Lee Jun Ki would be wonderful if they wanted to do a "dick lit" version of the story. Better yet, a Johnny boy like Kame or Yamapi. The 1st Production of Nobuta Prince!!! :D

That said, I really enjoyed Eun Hye's spin on the boy-girl. I remember talking with a (very straight) friend, and he told me he found Eun Chan (not necessarily Eun Hye btw) strangely attractive. It kinda messes with your head, because she isn't dyke either. Eun Chan walks, talks, sits, and breathes like a guy. But emotionally, she's still a sensitive girl with her crushes and her own little daydreams. Eun Hye did a good job fleshing that out without conveying any self-consciousness of this dissonant effect upon the viewer.

princegod

Post by princegod » Sep 22nd, '07, 00:16

Hi evebody, if you are looking for Coffee Prince in HD
you can find the 720p 1.4 giga version at my clubbox

neyo_oyen

Post by neyo_oyen » Sep 24th, '07, 11:35

does anyone have a mp3 of I LOVE YOU by Gong Yoo? kindly please share it...

jpwoof

Post by jpwoof » Sep 24th, '07, 21:59

the last episode (#17) finished 2nd in the ratings. What was number 1?

belleza

Post by belleza » Sep 24th, '07, 22:38

It was the By Land And Sky daily drama. KBS daily dramas are usually very popular (something for the teens, something for the ajuhmmas), and By Land and Sky has been coasting at 30-ish ratings. The only shows that have been regularly beaten By Land and Sky this year were (of course) Jumong and Money's Warfare.

By Land and Sky is pretty good, and it's just ended its run in Korea. I think I've been watching this show for like 6-7 straight months on KBS America, and we got probably another 2-3 months before it finishes. Park Hae Jin is the next Hyun Bin.

Coffee Prince is the top performing MBC trendy drama this year. (The Legend doesn't count. :D ) Overall, it's 3rd so far, behind Money's Warfare and another SBS soap.

yamapinku-rabu

Post by yamapinku-rabu » Sep 26th, '07, 02:56

does anyone have the i love you song gong yoo's version from the drama? :lol

gracluvzen

Post by gracluvzen » Sep 26th, '07, 12:37

I am a newbie in this forum...
I have to say that this Kseries is probably one of the best ever...
Every episode is so worth watching
I was surprised that there is no boring episode in this drama...You know unlike other series wherein it tends to be boring in the middle
I love the chemistry between Eun Hye and Gong Yoo

biniBningPunkista

Post by biniBningPunkista » Sep 26th, '07, 15:37

i miss this show....... :cry: :cry: :cry:

MishkA

Post by MishkA » Sep 27th, '07, 00:58

biniBningPunkista wrote:
I agee with you! Coffee Prince was so unique compared to any of the other dramas that have been on lately. :cry:

Asianlicious

Post by Asianlicious » Sep 27th, '07, 21:19

haha I just finished watching this series today.. gosh at first I thought, oh no, why didn't she just tell him she's a girl.. but I really like the different/unique story line.. it's now like my 2nd fav. KDrama *sigh* I envy them so much..
my first is Goong and I thought Joo Ji-hoon & Yoon Eun-hye were perfect, but she really looks good together with the guy from COFFEE PRINCE *sigh*

sweetrala

complete drama english harsubbed download????HELP

Post by sweetrala » Sep 30th, '07, 14:35

Can anyone help me????? wherei can download Coffee Prince series thats already hard subbed????HELP ME PLEASSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! :wub:
Attachments
CPposter10.jpg
CPposter10.jpg (151.93 KiB) Viewed 9225 times

Hitokiri_Johndoesai

Post by Hitokiri_Johndoesai » Oct 1st, '07, 08:05

I really liked this show. It was something original, the characters were truly bright and the acting was top notch. I'm gonna miss this show. IMHO, the missing piece was, that they didn't show the wedding at the end.

kaola

Post by kaola » Oct 1st, '07, 08:58

MishkA wrote:
biniBningPunkista wrote:
I agee with you! Coffee Prince was so unique compared to any of the other dramas that have been on lately. :cry:
Me too i really miss this show and Gong Yo ToT
This story was so beautiful, and the actors soo great!!

i wait impatiently for the DVD version *__*

cookieremix

Re: complete drama english harsubbed download????HELP

Post by cookieremix » Oct 2nd, '07, 00:01

sweetrala wrote:Can anyone help me????? wherei can download Coffee Prince series thats already hard subbed????HELP ME PLEASSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! :wub:
With s2 doesn't release hardsubs anymore
because of the copyright and stuff

I don't think they let people hardsub them either for that matter Dx
so your best choice is to just download the raw
and the subtitle. and play them in gom or something

Rob Boyd

Post by Rob Boyd » Oct 4th, '07, 17:30

The veoh site has the entire series hardsubbed. I believe that their sub squad actually comes from d-addicts. Get the series from lypitka. She has the best quality of anyone that I've downloaded from.

Just "google" veoh and get started. It's a free service, of course.
:-)

sweetrala

thanks

Post by sweetrala » Oct 7th, '07, 15:05

thanks for the info :wub:

Rob Boyd

Post by Rob Boyd » Oct 7th, '07, 23:42

You're welcome. Enjoy the series and the site.

KAAdonkaDUNK

Post by KAAdonkaDUNK » Oct 8th, '07, 01:20

Havent watched a kdrama in forever, but after i saw alot of people which coffee prince as their sig. or avatar i decided to see what all the fuss was about, And i'm proud to say i'm happy did. I agree this drama does have something unique that all the other dramas dont have. Yoon Eun-hye didnt seem very attractive in this drama, but that's what made me want to watch it even more. It seemed more real that way, cause we gotta admit life isnt all about a sexy lead guy and a gorgeous lead girl falling for eachother, But seriously when i first went to drama wiki to look the drama up, i saw the drama poster and i thought the drama was gonna be about 3 guys and a girl. I had NOOO clue Yoon Eun-hye was even in this drama until i looked at the cast and realized in the drama poster one of the 3 guys was really a girl =).

First drama i've ever watch Gong Yoo in and I gotta say he has adorable facial expressions.
This drama has to have had the best kissing scenes. Especially episode 16, that scene at the end had chemistry. In general the actors and actresses had good chemistry
&i do like Gong Yoo's acting, like one scene i enjoyed was when Eun Chan and Han Kyul were at the beach together [episode 9] and Eun Chan fell asleep and Han Kyul kinda held her, he did that scene really well. I mean the look in his eyes, his expressions, the way kinda closed his eyes and smelled her hair, the way he was moving slow so she wouldnt wake up...WOW that scene felt real, like i could feel the pain in liking someone you know you shouldn't.
--->&For some reason this drama makes me think of my lovely kim sam soon and hana kimi put together.

winterdotcom

Post by winterdotcom » Oct 9th, '07, 09:46

what is the song gong yoo sang in last epi (i thnk)? anywhere 2 download it?

n d name of d manhwa is d same as d drama? couldnt find it anywhere... help~

jaw

Post by jaw » Oct 13th, '07, 06:40

T-T i miss this drama. i wish there's a second season.

i wish i haven't seen this drama yet so i would't compare it to all the dramas i'm seeing nowT-T it's so depressing, i can't see anything as good anymore. i'm sorry i love you got my mind off CP tho, i cried my heart outT-T but it only got me more depressed!

bent

Post by bent » Oct 15th, '07, 15:17

Han Kyul singing to Eun Chan over the phone "I love You"

http://www.zshare.net/audio/42340125fd0f15/

bent

Post by bent » Oct 16th, '07, 11:49

a higher quality version of above mp3:

http://uploadingit.com/files/148199_jb6 ... %20You.mp3

littledraci

Post by littledraci » Oct 16th, '07, 13:48

bent wrote:a higher quality version of above mp3:

http://uploadingit.com/files/148199_jb6 ... %20You.mp3
is it a rip from the episode?

bent

Post by bent » Oct 16th, '07, 14:13

vaberella

Post by vaberella » Oct 16th, '07, 20:09

Hey there...I'm new here and I adore CP. I do have a question...anyone here have a caption of all the kiss moments---paticularly when Kyul still thought Eun Chan was still a boy. I find those to be the most interesting. Oh and the moment when he imagines her in the wedding gown. Just wanted to know if anyone has any moving screen caps/icons/sigs.

Oh, has anyone heard any confirmation on CP-2 or might it be called CPrincess? I'm just asking since I read few interviews talking about that, even though I know Gong Yoo will have to sign up for military service.

jooliepoolie

Post by jooliepoolie » Oct 17th, '07, 00:04

mmmm my favorite scene!!!!! well... one of my favorite scenes...

vaberella

Post by vaberella » Oct 17th, '07, 00:21

jooliepoolie wrote:mmmm my favorite scene!!!!! well... one of my favorite scenes...

wahhh!!! :w00t: Tahnks jooliepoolie!!! I was wondering can you get moving captions of it? I can deal with fairly big ones. I want to put it in a sig of mine. I just love the slash affect it has. Utterly romantic scene.

winterdotcom

Post by winterdotcom » Oct 17th, '07, 03:58

oo... thanks lot 4 the song rip frm the drama~

i also found a website where there is coffee prince's translated (eng) novel :-
http://www.xanga.com/CoffeePrince/

enjoy~

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Oct 18th, '07, 02:25

I finally finished this drama!! And loved it. The first drama to actually live up to my expectations. Did anyone else feel like the end was sort of a Dal Ja's Spring parody? It wasn't that they made fun of it, but Sun Ki and the grandmother are both pretty much known for their roles in DJS and at the end they just had to put in that Japanese-speaking girl (what was her name again?) Her character's only purpose was to make Sun Ki live happily ever after, but did they really have to use that actress? Because other than that, she was a really random character. Now that I think about it, the whole Coffee Prince drama reminded me of Dal Ja's Spring, which is one of my favorite dramas. Maybe because they're both just so......sweet.

Anyways, I'm really glad I decided to watch this show after all. :D

sassywf

Post by sassywf » Oct 19th, '07, 01:04

where are you guys watching this drama? veoh deleted a lot of their eposides :cry:

RainingWendy

Post by RainingWendy » Oct 19th, '07, 23:08

I saw the ending I am not sure what the big deal was it was awesome. Yeah Veoh erased some of them I am sure youtube has some

mega_fanatic

Post by mega_fanatic » Oct 20th, '07, 20:22

ohhh man im missing this show. it's almost ridiculous. i can't wait till they bring out a season 2, but i want it to be the same cast (if it takes 3 years, then so be it). :wub:

nerwen

Post by nerwen » Oct 23rd, '07, 00:10

winterdotcom wrote:i also found a website where there is coffee prince's translated (eng) novel :-
http://www.xanga.com/CoffeePrince/
enjoy~

Wiiiiiiii...!!!! :w00t:
Thank you!!!

I wanted to read the novel since I finished to watch CP. :P

Egg-chan

Post by Egg-chan » Oct 23rd, '07, 05:10

@vaberella lol.. *points to siggy* XD

Cassiopeia

Re: complete drama english harsubbed download????HELP

Post by Cassiopeia » Oct 25th, '07, 10:25

sweetrala wrote:Can anyone help me????? wherei can download Coffee Prince series thats already hard subbed????HELP ME PLEASSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! :wub:
I downloaded mine in stage6.com ......... you can try the website. It'll be downloaded as .divx but you can changed it in .avi ........... it's the same extension anyway.

PM me if you didn't find it anymore ..........

danchemistry

Post by danchemistry » Oct 27th, '07, 01:58

Nice drama

danchemistry

Post by danchemistry » Oct 27th, '07, 01:58

Is this drama doing well in Korea?

biniBningPunkista

Post by biniBningPunkista » Oct 27th, '07, 04:52

danchemistry wrote:Is this drama doing well in Korea?

i think it did. but not like kim sam soon or the others....
check out the dramawiki page. :D

btw... who's that girl in your avvy?

danchemistry

Post by danchemistry » Oct 28th, '07, 01:59

The girl in that picture is Bingbing Fan

Sphinxy

Post by Sphinxy » Oct 28th, '07, 14:46

This was one of the best dramas...ever!!

<3

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Oct 28th, '07, 23:44

coffee prince is finally getting recognition in japan!
When I came to japan I was surprised to find so many korean dramas being shown on tv and they have all these magazines dedicated to korean dramas and actors and stuff so ever scince I started watching coffee prince ive also been checking out the magazines waiting for some word about coffee prince to finally reach them and it has. 20 page articles and all!!! Just wish I could read them without having to sit down with my kanji dictionary and my normal dictionary and take about 5 hours to read one page :(

sitaslide

Post by sitaslide » Oct 29th, '07, 10:42

yup...best drama!!!
very good acting..the scenarios are funny and very romantic!!!

yihuii...
good acting y YEH and GY...

(^_^)v

Cleo

Post by Cleo » Nov 1st, '07, 16:24

As of now, the only drama I would quote as "life altering"...(and I saw many many dramas )
I can just bow my head to YEH and GY for the work they did. It was so refreshing and new, I enjoyed every bit of it :thumright:
Everything was well done, from the character's personalities to the moving love story.

Damn, just speaking of it, I feel like watching it again! :mrgreen: :wub:

bent

Post by bent » Nov 1st, '07, 17:10

I really hope they can film the sequel soon!!

Is Gong Yoo really gonna enlist into the army?

ooijanice

Post by ooijanice » Nov 5th, '07, 16:09

Gong Yoo and YEH are both cute and hilarious in this drama.
Never a boring episode. Highly recommended.

sweetserenity08

Post by sweetserenity08 » Nov 7th, '07, 22:21

i miss han-kyul and eun-chan sooo much... :cry: :cry: i soo wanna see them again..
btw, i made gif images of some of my favorite scenes in CP..

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Nov 8th, '07, 01:14

nice gifs!

sweetserenity08

Post by sweetserenity08 » Nov 8th, '07, 21:23

Yorokobi wrote:nice gifs!
thanks.... 8)

Yukumushio

Post by Yukumushio » Nov 9th, '07, 23:26

I thought korean Dramas generally didn't film sequels...WAs CP really popular over there?
I feel that Eun Hye is a real actress now, she was good in cp!!!

belleza

Post by belleza » Nov 11th, '07, 02:22

WAs CP really popular over there?
CP was popular enough so that MBC opened up a Coffee Prince coffee shop. ;) (Great idea BTW. Though in the States coffee princes only like other coffee princes . . . :( )

http://www.dramabeans.com/2007/10/birth ... afe-opens/

Korea being trendy as they are, CP's also made the "Eun Chan cut" (okay, I made that up, but it's a boyish bob) more popular.

Coffee Prince is the most popular MBC trendy drama this year. Overall its ratings finish behind Jumong and The Legend for MBC, and its ratings were also higher than Goong. Ratings don't tell the whole story though, as CP (like Goong) was also very popular on the Internet.

But, really the big thing is that I think CP is the first "retooled" rom-com to really click in the ratings. If you look at the overall MBC rom-com list the past 2 years -- Soulmate, 9 Ends, Que Sera Sera, Coffee Prince-- you can kinda see how MBC's trying move the cutesy rom-com formula into a more Western-styled "dramedy." Diverse soundtrack, hipper characters, more realistic/sophisticated approach to relationships, more liberal attitude toward marraige and sex, less screwball more irony.

vbah

Post by vbah » Nov 11th, '07, 08:45

belleza wrote:DancerX -- if you use [ SPOILER ] tags around the text, it'll keep it hidden. It's good for people who are kinda scanning through the pages without looking carefully.
1) Did any other guy find the Eun Chan character unattractive? I mean, she was cute in a boyish way, but I don't really get any full blooded heterosexual guy actually wanting to kiss her while she is in boy mode (or do more).
It's funny that you mention that, because I actually think YEH's look right now is the best she's ever looked. Her hair is a little longer, but fashionably short and permed, and it helps play up her high cheek structure. Eun Hye has never been considered conventionally beautiful, but men like her due to her "young girl warrior" charisma.

I haven't made up my mind about how I see YEH and Eun Chan. Most actors and actresses, there's always one or two roles that you kinda see their other performances through. Eun Chan is such a singular performance for her, the degree in which YEH disappears into this role, the way she even breathes as her emotions go up, was so different that I don't see "Eun Chan"-ness in her public appearances (i.e. X-man) or her performance in either Goong or Vineyard Man. It's a defining role and yet it isn't.

The story itself pointedly underlines that, by and large, men really don't find Eun Chan attractive. The story kinda suggests that Han Gyul has difficulties relating to women intimately, whereas he's unusually attached to his male friendships. Han Sung was a bit different; even though they would make jokes about it, he was still working through his anger and other issues with Yoo Joo -- happy but not completely happy that they had reconciled. He really enjoyed his simple, innocent friendship with Eun Chan, and the fact that she unabashedly adored him. Tempting fruit, so to speak.

[/spoiler]
I have just finished this drama. I find that Eun Chan (YEH) is more beautiful without makeup. I dont agree that no man will fall for a girl like Eun Chan. As a man, I find that Tomboy girl like her is very attractive! Interesting personality

onoturtle
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by onoturtle » Nov 22nd, '07, 23:08

Haven't posted here on this site in a long time! (Points to outdated sig. banner) People in my Korean class love this show so I decided to download it. I haven't found an interesting drama in a while (last one I watched entirely was Snow Queen, I think, but I haven't really been actively searching for a new show to watch), so I decided to pick up the habit again with this one. Only saw 2.5 eps yet, as I'm pacing myself. I'm still waiting on additional episodes through BT... CB hasn't been dling anything lately for me. So far, it's really funny and awesome.

I now have more time now as all the pressing deadlines are over for me and I'm graduating (getting a masters took some work, I'm not returning for a phd! at least for now), so now I can watch more dramas guilt-free! Any recommendations for one who is enjoying Coffee Prince?

Yukumushio

Post by Yukumushio » Nov 23rd, '07, 00:47

Hmm, if you loved CP(which you SHOULD) then I recommend some other dramas Eun Hye or Gong Yoo was in - The Vineyard Man-eun hye, Goong - eun hye, Hello teacher?(don't know exact name, but it's the featured seed for this month's k-drama) - YOO

NanaTorigawa

Post by NanaTorigawa » Nov 24th, '07, 03:50

Hello.. i don't watch K-doramas much but i'm watching this....
I have seen 12 episodes in almost 24 hours...
I wan tot finish it tonight... i'm on episode 14 now...
I really like this... i feel bad for everyone too...

i still like Japanese dramas better because i liek love stories liek that...
but alittle Korean love stories is good.;.. make you feel love is easier then you think and more open...
But a common theme is not telling the whole story to the one you love and are fighting with... <Common theme in Asian dramas...

Well i will comment again when i finish watch it...

karin-chan

Post by karin-chan » Nov 24th, '07, 04:33

im currently watching Coffee Prince.. though the first few episodes are boring for me ep 5 onwards are so addictive... Go Eun Chan is so cool!!!

NanaTorigawa

Post by NanaTorigawa » Nov 24th, '07, 14:52

karin-chan wrote:im currently watching Coffee Prince.. though the first few episodes are boring for me ep 5 onwards are so addictive... Go Eun Chan is so cool!!!
i know after u get thru the boring begiing the rest is so cute...
And that actress really is pretty!!!

You know... American Love stories are way to romantic and japanese is why to un romantice... but this Korean one is so liek normaly life i feel like im in the middle of someones life...

(But i still liek Japanese dramas more)
On episode 15!!!)

karin-chan

Post by karin-chan » Nov 24th, '07, 16:31

NanaTorigawa wrote: i know after u get thru the boring begiing the rest is so cute...
And that actress really is pretty!!!

You know... American Love stories are way to romantic and japanese is why to un romantice... but this Korean one is so liek normaly life i feel like im in the middle of someones life...

(But i still liek Japanese dramas more)
On episode 15!!!)
hahaha!! gotcha! American love stories are sure romantic but sometimes can be way too cheesy which is the total opposite of japanese doramas for they LACK the those kind of moments [ and i think they would rather promote story plots of friendship and bonding]. With Korean dramas, it is simply great! Apparently, i wish all the boys in the world would be like those male lead actors who care to their leading ladies like that and do such sweet things like what we have seen on their dramas.......... haaaaaaaayyyyyy.... :unsure:

Going back, im currently watching this drama simultaneous with Hanazakari no Kimitachi e, so sometimes i got this hangover of pretending to a boy sometimes.... LOL the disease is attacking!!! :w00t:

knuts

Post by knuts » Nov 24th, '07, 17:14

onoturtle wrote:Haven't posted here on this site in a long time! (Points to outdated sig. banner) People in my Korean class love this show so I decided to download it. I haven't found an interesting drama in a while (last one I watched entirely was Snow Queen, I think, but I haven't really been actively searching for a new show to watch), so I decided to pick up the habit again with this one. Only saw 2.5 eps yet, as I'm pacing myself. I'm still waiting on additional episodes through BT... CB hasn't been dling anything lately for me. So far, it's really funny and awesome.

I now have more time now as all the pressing deadlines are over for me and I'm graduating (getting a masters took some work, I'm not returning for a phd! at least for now), so now I can watch more dramas guilt-free! Any recommendations for one who is enjoying Coffee Prince?
I would say, try "Thank You" and "Que Sera Sera", though the latter is surely not so light as CP. For some action and suspense "Time Between Dog And Wolf".

NanaTorigawa

Post by NanaTorigawa » Nov 24th, '07, 19:04

yatta!!! :cheers:
I finished it... but i want to know...
Did the baby die? the one those two where going to have... it was little confusing.... Please enlighten me
It was good... it wasn't like a japanese one where they leave and there is no reunite episode...

fairytwix
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by fairytwix » Nov 24th, '07, 20:14

NanaTorigawa wrote:yatta!!! :cheers:
Did the baby die? the one those two where going to have... it was little confusing.... Please enlighten me
It was good... it wasn't like a japanese one where they leave and there is no reunite episode...
to answer your question ~
yes, the baby died..which was why she i think han song or w/e his name was..lol was trying to comfort her and make her feel better...

NanaTorigawa

Post by NanaTorigawa » Nov 24th, '07, 23:02

fairytwix wrote:
NanaTorigawa wrote:yatta!!! :cheers:
to answer your question ~
yes, the baby died..which was why she i think han song or w/e his name was..lol was trying to comfort her and make her feel better...
ah i see
It was kinda her fault thou...

incube

Post by incube » Nov 28th, '07, 21:14

Just finished this drama. Yeh and the male lead actor (dont remember the name) are so cute.. .specially at the last episodes. At last a happy light ending in a kdrama =) The ending was kinda too open .... or maybe i just want to hear more "i love you" from yeh ... dont know

Btw any recomendations for my next kdrama ? I am Sam and Coffe Prince are the top 2 in my favorite kdrama list.
About the baby... i noticed Han Sung (no idea the actress name) a bit too strange when she found out she had a baby... maybe there was something else?

belleza

Post by belleza » Nov 28th, '07, 23:16

Btw any recommendations for my next kdrama ? I am Sam and coffee Prince are the top 2 in my favorite kdrama list.
Some recs:

Soulmate It's more of a true sitcom but it's also sophisticated/subversive in its treatment of male/female relations. Plus, if the Coffee Prince tunes were a highlight, Soulmate used a very eclectic use of soundtrack tunes (i.e. hipster playlist mashup of Pitchfork and Jpopmusic) Many people have said that if you like CP, you'll love Soulmate.

Capital Scandal From the same novelist of Coffee Prince. Honestly, they're so different than I couldn't pick up any similarities whatsoever, but it's worth watching in its own right. Probably my favorite male performance this year.

Hello My Teacher If you like Gong Yoo and I Am Sam, you may want to give this one a shot.

Old clips of Yoon Eun Hye on Xman Some of Eun Chan's exploits (i.e. carrying Gong Yoo on her back) riff off her "Young Girl Warrior" persona from the old Xman show. If you look around, there's a clip where she wrestles 3 different opponents in a row, including the biggest guy on the show. Of course, if you haven't seen Goong, that should be the first go.

Time of Dog and Wolf During much of summer, MBC had programmed Coffee Prince on Mon/Tues slot, and then Time of Dog and Wolf in their Wed/Thursday. This was intentional, since both shows had hip, young casts with very hot leads (YEH and Lee Jung Ki) trying to branch out a bit outside their current images. I watched both shows together, and they perfectly complemented each other. If you just finished CP, TDW may be worth watching as a "contrast" show.

incube

Post by incube » Nov 29th, '07, 01:28

Thnks for the recs.
I've seen all the xman vids posted by coolsmurf on youtube =D Eun Hye and KJK were so cute, just like in CP
I am dling the first episodes of Hello My Teacher and Palace atm .... heard good comments about them but wasnt sure about the first cause I didnt like the woman lead...

Back to the topic:
There are some parts in CP that i think they overdone it... or just i didnt understand ....
For example why did they started crying like that in the weeding when grandma fainted... i mean... they started crying as if she died or something...
And about the ending... it was kinda odd not to see Chan / Yeh shed a single tear... i mean she used to cry just seeing him and after being more than 2 years apart .... i was expecting something more emotional T_T

belleza

Post by belleza » Nov 29th, '07, 01:58

I am dling the first episodes of Hello My Teacher and Palace atm .... heard good comments about them but wasnt sure about the first cause I didnt like the woman lead...
Given its popularity, I actually think Goong is a little underrated. Most people can't get past the idol-ish actor casting without appreciating how successfully it blended the intrigue and pomp+circumstance of sageuk, the Charles+Diana tabloid fantasy of the 20th century royal family, and the K-pop celebrity machine. It's a fusion show without the self-conscious irony associated with the genre.

I liked Eun Hye's acting potential in Goong without actually liking the acting itself. For me, her character was grating - it just felt really off compared to the rest of the show. But Eun Hye's talent for mannerisms rivals Takuya Kimura -- she has facial tics and quietly eccentric gestures for just about everything. It's this talent for physical acting that made her really, really suited for Coffee Prince. She took it down a notch, and made you see only a girlboy thing..
And about the ending... it was kinda odd not to see Chan / Yeh shed a single tear... i mean she used to cry just seeing him and after being more than 2 years apart .... i was expecting something more emotional T_T
I think Han Kyul visited her periodically during those 2 years. They had a fairly normal long distance relationship.
For example why did they started crying like that in the weeding when grandma fainted... i mean... they started crying as if she died or something..
I actually thought they were crying due to getting married itself. The writing for the 2nd relationship kinda drops off after Episode 12 (though I liked their romantic chemistry more than Gong Yoo/YEH.) There's a few scenes where the emotions doesn't seem to play right.

Also, the actress Chae Jung Ahn was coming out of a divorce (the marriage was purported to be abusive) before she signed onto Coffee Prince. So, not only was this a comeback project for her, but some of her acting may be informed by her own experiences with marriage.

incube

Post by incube » Nov 29th, '07, 11:08

ya as you say there are some confusing scenes... still a great drama.
I had the impression that Yeh was like the "man" in the relationship at the end...

EDIT: Watching last episodes of Gong =D Kinda slow compared to CP but Yeh is still as lovely as ever :wub:

klamyo

Post by klamyo » Dec 2nd, '07, 20:31

Direct download at http://www.starnova.info
If you wanna contribute t the site, PM me.

incube

Post by incube » Dec 5th, '07, 01:20

klamyo wrote:Direct download at http://www.starnova.info
If you wanna contribute t the site, PM me.
nice site .. wish they had more jumong episodes xD (only 15)