Coffee Prince Number One Shop (MBC, 2007)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
littledraci

Post by littledraci » Aug 21st, '07, 06:30

biniBningPunkista wrote:i will not look for spoilers..
i will not look for spoilers..
i will not look for spoilers!!!!!!!!!!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Haha... come on, i know you can't take it :P :mrgreen:

yatrasoc

Post by yatrasoc » Aug 21st, '07, 15:39

I've watched the frist episode. It looks pretty funny......I like the two male leads. :wub:

herbski

Post by herbski » Aug 21st, '07, 19:13

The ending of today's episode (16) was great! :D
They finally made love! YESSSS! ALRIGHT! What was funny was that, after HK had been trying to get EC all hot and bothered and she didn't respond, she was the one who finally initiated it by going to his pad in the evening and it was HK who tried not to give in at first!
Last edited by herbski on Aug 22nd, '07, 07:31, edited 1 time in total.

kotatsulove

Post by kotatsulove » Aug 21st, '07, 20:17

i'm so proud of myself! i haven't read any spoilers and i'm not reading the javabeans summary of the latest unsubbed episodes! i think i'm getting better at it as the series goes on. i really do get spoiled if i read them...i can't enjoy the series as much. i envy the people that aren't affected by reading spoilers.

just watched episode 13. i like how they're not introducing big conflicts between Eun Chan and Han Gyul, and that they're just kind of dating now. rather than making everything about them, they're focusing on side stories and Han Gyul's family life.

wow, i'm glad to hear that YEH finally cut her contract from 8 Peaks. that seemed really stressful.

gihee

Post by gihee » Aug 21st, '07, 20:43

truefaceman wrote:can any1 upload this drama in youtube?...coz i cant download it:( :cry:
I think it is already up on youtube. I'm not sure which version of subs you need but I believe it is up there. I think each episode is split into 7 parts. That might be a little annoying to watch...

So I suggest going to veoh.com. They split the episodes into 2 parts. Hope that helps! If you want to download the episode then you need the veoh player. I think you can follow the directions on the site. However they all take a little time to get up there depending on how quickly people do the subs. Hope that helps!

gihee

Post by gihee » Aug 21st, '07, 20:48

blue_smurf wrote:
gihee wrote:
blue_smurf wrote:I have all the Mickeybaby's episodes but my TMPGenc won't convert it because the window size is 800x450, which is not a multiply of 8. I heard Yall's versions are as good as Mickeybaby's, so can someone direct me to the right direction as to where I can download Yall's versions? Cubbox anyone?
The website is: yall10.blog.com

However, I've been having problems downloading from that site. I think there is a limit to how many people can download it.

But on clubbox I usually go to: clubbox.co.kr/withs2cb

They have 2 versions. MickeyBaby and Ental.
Thank u. I've been there and I have problems downloading from that site.
I have problems converting Mickeybaby's files and Ental files, that's why I'm hoping it would be different with Yall versions :)

there's another site. I think it's DCInside, if I'm not mistaken.
Dang, I dunno how to DL from there LOL
Oooh... if converting is your problem then you might want to download this. See this Q & A from soompi forums. Helped me out.

Q: I downloaded the MickyBaby Versions and yet i get this weird thing on my screen and can't watch it.
A: Because the Mickybaby versions are done in a different codec, its best if you download this pack, http://www.free-codecs.com/downlo...=3034&s=572 , and then restart your computer, and you should be able to view the files with no problem.

cluelessyf

Post by cluelessyf » Aug 21st, '07, 22:09

i'im on ep. 12 right now!
i REALLY REALLY don't like the second main girl.... i mean she was the one that cheated on him first, and it was way worse than wat he did to her... ughhhh she has no right to be that angry and screw with him all the time! she's so selfishhh, that ****. at least she knows she's selfish...
i really like the japanese dude! x] he acts cool but is still very wise/understanding hehehe.

Egg-chan

Post by Egg-chan » Aug 21st, '07, 22:55

Did anyone else see the ratings for epi 16?
Go Coffee Prince! Fighting! ^o^

crazypilovee

Post by crazypilovee » Aug 21st, '07, 23:15

AHHHHH this drama is SOOOOO goooooooooooooood :D
my fav. kdrama of 2007!

belleza

Post by belleza » Aug 22nd, '07, 01:13

Kim Soon Ah since「我叫金三顺」had no other drama and film offers, therefore it was rumoured that she is not satisfied with the agency and have intention to move to another agency.
I heard it was genuinely nasty between her and her agency, especially after Sun Ah dropped out of the last film. I actually feel bad for her, because she' wasn't able to ride on her popularity surge after KSS. It'll be at least 2 years before she's done anything since.
They have been having a dispute for a very long time because they also tried to prevent her from taking The Vineyard Man, Que Sera, Sera and even Coffee Prince.
Oh wow. Yeah, I heard about her fight with Vineyard Man and Coffee Prince, but I didn't know she lost the role for QSS too. I heard only one person is actually committed to Goong 2?

eirammm

Post by eirammm » Aug 22nd, '07, 01:26

Egg-chan wrote:Did anyone else see the ratings for epi 16?
Go Coffee Prince! Fighting! ^o^
woww!!!!! *happy feeling* it was kinda worrying over the last few days since it is slightly dopping down (ALTHOUGH IT MAINTAINED ITS PLACE).. but YAY! BANZAI COFFEE PRINCE!:) actually it is also an expected thing to happen since i guess everyone would love to see how coffee prince will end:)

belleza

Post by belleza » Aug 22nd, '07, 01:36

Coffee Prince's success has got me thinking that maybe YEH will be known for Eun Chan as much as Chae-kyung. Maybe more, because this is her watershed moment as a legitimate drama lead.

That said, uhm, isn't Coffee Prince competing with the daily drama By Land and Sky (which I've been watching religiously on KBS World?) I love that show!! :(

anime76

Post by anime76 » Aug 22nd, '07, 03:17

i've just finish ep. 13 & it is great.
i love how they can be so truthfull to each other. The small little things they do are just too cute.
This is definately a MUST watch ep. It was so funny when Ha Rim was telling EC about man's desire (hahahahahaha). look out for HY's expression here, it was so funny! The part where the 3 princes pamper EC !!!

crazypilovee

Post by crazypilovee » Aug 22nd, '07, 04:33

wait wat are u guys talking about about kim soon ah from kim sam soon? i'm confused! she was gonna get the coffee prince role? aww i love her.. wish she was in more dramas!

littledraci

Post by littledraci » Aug 22nd, '07, 04:56

anime76 wrote:i've just finish ep. 13 & it is great.
i love how they can be so truthfull to each other. The small little things they do are just too cute.
This is definately a MUST watch ep. It was so funny when Ha Rim was telling EC about man's desire (hahahahahaha). look out for HY's expression here, it was so funny! The part where the 3 princes pamper EC !!!
yeah, watched it last night..and went with a smile on my face to bed :D
so: good morning from here :cheers: :mrgreen:
the face from Han Kyul ...Image Image .... so funny, but Eun Chans face too...this innocence :lol

when the 3 princes came for her I thought at first they were making a joke because of Han Kyuls words before..but when I recognized it was HK who told them to do that..aaaawwww, so sweet :wub: and even the japanese guys had a lot fun by teasing her ... I really like, how he's almost the most grown up between all of them :lol

deb1430

Post by deb1430 » Aug 22nd, '07, 07:23

belleza wrote:Coffee Prince's success has got me thinking that maybe YEH will be known for Eun Chan as much as Chae-kyung. Maybe more, because this is her watershed moment as a legitimate drama lead.

That said, uhm, isn't Coffee Prince competing with the daily drama By Land and Sky (which I've been watching religiously on KBS World?) I love that show!! :(
bell I am very sad to hear about KSA. She is one of my most fave actress and is also Yoon Eun Hye's role model.

As for YEH will be known for EC maybe more than Chae-Kyung, I actually like that because in my opinion she really deserves the praise for Coffee Prince. She has improved trmendously compared to her Goong days so it's only right that she gets credit for her portrayal of EC.

And for those who have already watched epi. 16...I made and MV... Yoon Eun Hye/Gong Yoo Coffee Prince "Let's Get It On" -

KoreanMania

Post by KoreanMania » Aug 22nd, '07, 12:49

I was wondering, are there 17 episodes for this drama or is the 17th episode a special and it really only ends at 16? I have been told by my friend that it's only up to 16, but then... hmmmm.... I would appreciate it if someone will kindly enlighten me on this one :lol Gomawo! :-)

eirammm

Post by eirammm » Aug 22nd, '07, 15:32

KoreanMania wrote:I was wondering, are there 17 episodes for this drama or is the 17th episode a special and it really only ends at 16? I have been told by my friend that it's only up to 16, but then... hmmmm.... I would appreciate it if someone will kindly enlighten me on this one :lol Gomawo! :-)
yes, there are 17 episodes all in all... 17 being the last/finale episode.... but MBC will air a special episode on tuesday (as what i heard)

KoreanMania

Post by KoreanMania » Aug 22nd, '07, 15:50

eirammm wrote:
KoreanMania wrote:I was wondering, are there 17 episodes for this drama or is the 17th episode a special and it really only ends at 16? I have been told by my friend that it's only up to 16, but then... hmmmm.... I would appreciate it if someone will kindly enlighten me on this one :lol Gomawo! :-)
yes, there are 17 episodes all in all... 17 being the last/finale episode.... but MBC will air a special episode on tuesday (as what i heard)
Thanks a million, eiram! :D Appreciate it!

belleza

Post by belleza » Aug 22nd, '07, 16:17

She is one of my most fave actress and is also Yoon Eun Hye's role model.
And she's a great role model at that. Kim Sun Ah is the reigning queen of Korean comedy, partially because she transcends the standard adorable/cute comedic stuff. Also, from what I read, YEH in the past was perceived as the "not pretty one" in Baby Vox, similar to Sun Ah. She's also played opposite Gong Yoo in a movie. Hmm, Yoon Eun Hye and Hyun Bin?
but MBC will air a special episode on tuesday (as what i heard)
Yeah, CP was such a hit for MBC that they're apparently airing the special live in front of a massive audience. And Gong Yoo is attending the screening. I'm really happy for him -- at least he's going into the army in style. It's kinda appropriate actually -- how CP will likely end mirrors Gong Yoo's own life.

theedqueen

Post by theedqueen » Aug 22nd, '07, 18:38

hey guys, just thought I'd let you guys know that I've been doing reviews for Coffee Prince episodes over at my site:

http://www.still-frames.net/goong/reviews.html

just scroll down to Coffee Prince to find them. Hope you guys enjoy. :-)

belleza

Post by belleza » Aug 22nd, '07, 21:34

Liked your comments on the series theedqueen. You have a saucy point of view too. :)

Thoughts on Episode 13
1) Coffee Prince is interesting in that, essentially, the primary story is resolved by Episode 12 (or, rather, the novel itself ends at about Episode 12.) Sure, there's issues with the New York situation and his parents accepting her, but all of that seems "after the fact."

2) I liked how the writers didn't waste time in resolving Han Sung and Hyo Joo's relationship. And especially I loved the style in which they did it; instead of a big weepy scene (remember, they've already made up one time before at the beginning of the show), her just showing up while he's away seems true to their relationship. They have a witty relationship.

3) It's interesting and touching to see how Eun Chan reiterates her "I am the head of my household" message to Han Gyul when he talks about following her to New York. It's a well placed tweak of gender; she is "the man" of her household, the breadwinner and the authoritarian. And while this is an enormous responsibility, she is genuinely proud of this traditionally male role, and it's helped make her who she is. And, so, she is too proud -- rightfully so -- to be the woman who follows the man and expects for the man to provide for her. She would rather go to New York herself on her own money and means, by her own will. How like a man! ;)

4) Yoo Joo and Eun Chan seem to share more in common than either woman realizes. Both women are proud and proudly independent; both kind of write their own paths. Both women haven't been completely honest and were selfish at times. Eun Chan sees Yoo Joo as the woman she can't be, but Yoo Joo sees Eun Chan as something I don't think she can understand. From Yoo Joo's point of view, I don't think it's just Eun Chan is a supertomboy; both write their own lives, but Yoo Joo lives for herself; her pride fees her ambition and integrity. Eun Chan's pride is in what she has done for her family, her unique role in her own family. Eun Chan is about other people, and I think Yoo Joo feels just a little bit small because she knows she can't carry other people's burdens with her. She isn't strong enough to do it.

5) Han Gyul and Han Sung fall for the same women. They fall in love with Yoo Joo because she is proud, independent, and brilliant. But they unexpectedly fall in love with Eun Chan, because she is also as brilliant in her own way, how her fighting spirit -- the joy and practical sincerity with which she lives -- seems bigger than the body it holds. And it's also clear that each is with the right person. Eun Chan adores Han Sung as this "perfect guy", but she hasn't seen how intense/stormy Han Sung can be. He's not gentle when he's mad. Yoo Joo's essential flightiness would turn Han Gyul's needy nature into a basketcase.

6) Han Gyul kinda reminds me of Dudley Moore in Arthur.

7) I liked the funny bits at the coffee shop between her and the coworkers. BUT, I also thought the writing missed a chance at underlining how gender figures into worker relationships and assignments. Eun Chan is in charge of taking out most of the trash, cleaning the bathroom, and she does a bulk of the hard labor. She also seems involved with closing up shop. She's also part of the prankster stuff and she probably has gotten more flak from her employer than anybody else. All that is fine and quite normal when they saw her as a guy.

The thing is, they still act this way around her when she's a girl. Is that . . . right? I kinda wished they had Han Gyul, as the manager and love of Eun Chan, kinda wrestle with this. Now that you know she's a girl, what is too much? How do you feel about the way you spoke to her? What is acceptable for her as a female employee? What is respectful to her as a trusted, capable employee who obviously accepted these duties? etc. etc.

yatrasoc

Post by yatrasoc » Aug 22nd, '07, 23:02

theedqueen wrote:hey guys, just thought I'd let you guys know that I've been doing reviews for Coffee Prince episodes over at my site:

You've done a great job on that. thanks.
By the way, what makes ep.13 so special?I'm only on ep.1 and I've been hearing alot people here talked about...."i saw ep.13 and i slept well last night"?!????????????? :whistling: :crazy:

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Aug 23rd, '07, 00:30

yatrasoc wrote:
theedqueen wrote:hey guys, just thought I'd let you guys know that I've been doing reviews for Coffee Prince episodes over at my site:

By the way, what makes ep.13 so special?I'm only on ep.1 and I've been hearing alot people here talked about...."i saw ep.13 and i slept well last night"?!????????????? :whistling: :crazy:
i argee im quite anxious to see that episode too!!!
i dont have as far to go as you though cause im on episode 12 but I have to wait for the subs!

theedqueen

Post by theedqueen » Aug 23rd, '07, 00:33

belleza wrote:Liked your comments on the series theedqueen. You have a saucy point of view too. :-)
yatrasoc wrote:

well thanks you guys, glad you liked them. Well, if you're only on episode one then you probably don't want to know everything that's going to happen at this point. It's just a fantastic episode and I'll leave it at that. :lol

amirvero

Post by amirvero » Aug 23rd, '07, 01:12

aaaw it seemed so short it's going to end already :(

amirvero

Post by amirvero » Aug 23rd, '07, 01:17

I've been bad I have actually watched some of the episodes without the subtitles I was wondering what happened in episodes 14 to 16...I mean I understand a bit by their actions but what they are saying nothing :(
did Han Kyul propose to Eun Chan and she rejected him or did she accept to marry him?
:cheers:

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Aug 23rd, '07, 01:35

Wow, is this drama really that good? It seems like everyone is watching it and this thread is currently the most active one in the Korean section of this site, by far. I feel so....REGRETFUL. AUUUGH

When the Coffee Prince craze first started, I had already planned on not watching it because first of all - I will be frank - I don't like Yoon Eun Hye, and second of all, I don't see anything romantic about two "guys" being in love (yeah I know that's not exactly the case). There was lots of hype surrounding this drama so I thought it was gonna be another overrated Goong. I've already read tons of spoilers just to see what I've been missing out on. Turns out, I may have missed out on a lot. Now I don't know what to doooo! Is it a good enough drama that I should still watch it even though I know everything that's going to happen???
Last edited by fizzlex3mh on Aug 23rd, '07, 01:48, edited 1 time in total.

amirvero

Post by amirvero » Aug 23rd, '07, 01:41

yes you should watch it even if you read the spoilers like me hehehehe. watching it is different it's pretty cute. I don't like her too much either I don't know why but this drama is cute.

pinklover27

Post by pinklover27 » Aug 23rd, '07, 02:45

amirvero wrote:I've been bad I have actually watched some of the episodes without the subtitles I was wondering what happened in episodes 14 to 16...I mean I understand a bit by their actions but what they are saying nothing :(
did Han Kyul propose to Eun Chan and she rejected him or did she accept to marry him?
you should visit this blog http://www.dramabeans.com...this site has detailed summaries of CP from the first epi to the current one...It's very useful especially if u watch the raws first...

pinklover27

Post by pinklover27 » Aug 23rd, '07, 02:59

fizzlex3mh wrote:Wow, is this drama really that good? It seems like everyone is watching it and this thread is currently the most active one in the Korean section of this site, by far. I feel so....REGRETFUL. AUUUGH

When the Coffee Prince craze first started, I had already planned on not watching it because first of all - I will be frank - I don't like Yoon Eun Hye, and second of all, I don't see anything romantic about two "guys" being in love (yeah I know that's not exactly the case). There was lots of hype surrounding this drama so I thought it was gonna be another overrated Goong. I've already read tons of spoilers just to see what I've been missing out on. Turns out, I may have missed out on a lot. Now I don't know what to doooo! Is it a good enough drama that I should still watch it even though I know everything that's going to happen???
you should feel regretful...hehehe

if you want a new taste of korean drama, this is the drama for you...i've watched most dramas of 2007 and by far this drama is the winner...if you don't lyk YEH, after watching this drama you would love her...i;m sure her character will grow on you,,plus who can resist goong yoo?!

i was actually a bit iffy at first when i read the synopsis of the drama...i mean i'm not ok with the "two guys falling for each other" thing...but boy was I wrong...the way this drama handled homosexuality was just superb...thumbs up..you will not feel obnoxious at all...just awesome... :salut:

you must really watch this even if you've seen the spoilers...you're really missing a lot..the storyline is just unbelievably good, :thumleft: the acting from the main casts and extended casts is just superb, :thumright: :thumleft: the cinematography and directing is just crazy good...enough said

i need to stop blabbing already cos it's getting very obvious that i have an unhealthy addiction for this drama. :D ..lol...just watch it! you'll love it...

especially what happened in epi 16... :wub: :cheers:

belleza

Post by belleza » Aug 23rd, '07, 03:01

Is it a good enough drama that I should still watch it even though I know everything that's going to happen???
I was a YEH-neutral person before watching this show, but it kind of shocked me how good she is here. Gong Yoo and Lee Sun Gyun are in fine form here, both bringing their leading man credentials.

Her acting aside, really the most shocking thing is that this is one of the most sophisticated and adult romantic comedies of the year. There's some very funny slapstick bits, but a lot of the humor is in the vein of a Alone in Love or Grey's Anatomy. Also, a lot of the music used here is Loveholic/Fluxus-style pop rock.

The show's been drawing crazy ratings because it's actually pulled in a sizable adult audience, people who normally wouldn't watch an idol-ish drama but are nevertheless impressed. At heart, Coffee Prince beautifully locates what being in love with your mid/late-20s is like. You're not ready to get married. You're not in love with boy bands anymore. You got a career. You got career issues and trust issues and left-over mom and dad issues. It's not a melodrama, but the middle episodes earn the tears honestly.

Coffee Prince also is part of a change in the industry, particularly by the people at MBC, to generate young adult fare that would compare well with shows like Gray's Anatomy, CSI, Desperate Housewives, the (defunct) OC, etc, which have become popular in Korea. This has been going for almost 2 years now, and Coffee Prince is a shining example of American influences, esp. in its spot-on use of pop music.

pinklover27

Post by pinklover27 » Aug 23rd, '07, 03:07

Her acting aside, really the most shocking thing is that this is one of the most sophisticated and adult romantic comedies of the year. There's some very funny slapstick bits, but a lot of the humor is in the vein of a Alone in Love or Grey's Anatomy. Also, a lot of the music used here is Loveholic/Fluxus-style pop rock.
i have to agree. YEH's acting has really improved a lot in this drama. The way she portrayed EC is just mind blowing. Her acting has a lot of depth in this drama. Kudos to her. I also love the OST. Also, the fact that theyy did not use a lot of music in most of the critical scenes shows that the leads acting are really great...[/quote]

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Aug 23rd, '07, 03:15

fizzlex3mh wrote:Wow, is this drama really that good? It seems like everyone is watching it and this thread is currently the most active one in the Korean section of this site, by far. I feel so....REGRETFUL. AUUUGH

Now I don't know what to doooo! Is it a good enough drama that I should still watch it even though I know everything that's going to happen???
Since I'm from Jdrama-land, I don't know much about Goong or how overrated it is (I'd guess it would be on par with something like HYD for Jdramas :fear:), BUT I would definitely still watch. It's a lot of fun, the actors do a great job, and it is definitely rewatchable. This is not a one trick pony. I only have time to watch maybe one or two shows every season. This season, this is the only drama that has been able to hold my attention. :)

Anyhow, has anybody actually looked at that Blockland acceptance letter Han Kyul got? The address is from New York, FL and the text looks like it came from some sort of insurance scam mail. :lol

kurodreams

Post by kurodreams » Aug 23rd, '07, 03:56

"hehe, coffee prince is REALLY good :]" -my opinion of course
does anyong know the brand and model of the phone that han kyul uses? is it anycall o.O? really curious cuz, thats like a touch phone/slide, and i thought the ipod phone was the first touch phone T.T

marie_23

Just start watching Coffee Prince

Post by marie_23 » Aug 23rd, '07, 04:32

The only reason I wanted to watch it was because the original Synopsis said the story was going to be involving a girl who pretends to be a guy in order to escape an arrange marriage. I thought cool I'll get in a try sounds fun and light :D I was Wrong! :glare: I found out later what the true synopsis is and after watching a couple episodes I find the drama a bit boring.

At first I kept wondering why can't the main male lead tell that the other main lead is a girl it's so obvious :roll But, I figure just to pretend along that he is in deed having trouble figuring this out. Another thing that bothered me was the length they took in the drama for the main female lead to tell the male lead her true gender. I think they dragged that part way to long. One other thing the second male lead guy who plays the cousin and his on off again girlfriend interaction in the drama at times seem more like wasted space to me. Overall, Coffee Prince is a mature and moving drama that at times be extremely slow paced but I'm enjoying it more and more as it goes along. :lol

simply_simple87

Post by simply_simple87 » Aug 23rd, '07, 04:56

im soooooooooooooooooooo in luv wif coffee prince.. it is soo heart warming n each episode is so exciting.. wanna watch more n more n more.. luv YEH in here.. so cute.. in goong, i find her not so pretty, but here i luv her appearance!

theedqueen

Post by theedqueen » Aug 23rd, '07, 05:01

I was sorta on the same boat as you when I first heard about Coffee Prince. But then I decided to start watching it because it started airing while I was in Korea in June/July and found that I actually liked it, even with my poor understanding of the language. And the later episodes are just the best, I would completely recommend this drama to anybody.

nophankh

Re: Just start watching Coffee Prince

Post by nophankh » Aug 23rd, '07, 05:16

marie_23 wrote:The only reason I wanted to watch it was because the original Synopsis said the story was going to be involving a girl who pretends to be a guy in order to escape an arrange marriage. I thought cool I'll get in a try sounds fun and light :D I was Wrong! :glare: I found out later what the true synopsis is and after watching a couple episodes I find the drama a bit boring.

Another thing that bothered me was the length they took in the drama for the main female lead to tell the male lead her true gender. I think they dragged that part way to long. One other thing the second male lead guy who plays the cousin and his on off again girlfriend interaction in the drama at times seem more like wasted space to me. Overall, Coffee Prince is a mature and moving drama that at times be extremely slow paced but I'm enjoying it more and more as it goes along. :lol
When I first read the original synopsis, it totally turned me off because it sounded so familiar. I hate clique dramas and I felt the original synopsis was implying that. My expectations for CP were really low, but boy did it turn out FANTASTIC. CP is really refreshing and beautifully acted compared to many kdrama comedies out there. From the choice of music to the wardrobe, I'm really impressed with how CP evolved.

I find the cousin's relationship with his on and off gf interesting and not wasted space at all. You need conflict and the cousin and his gf provided it.

mista_chewey

Post by mista_chewey » Aug 23rd, '07, 05:20

kurodreams wrote:"hehe, coffee prince is REALLY good :]" -my opinion of course
does anyong know the brand and model of the phone that han kyul uses? is it anycall o.O? really curious cuz, thats like a touch phone/slide, and i thought the ipod phone was the first touch phone T.T
probably the first touch phone in america
america always slow to new tech with phones and internet bandwidth compared to korea japan HK, and some of europe

gibson7

Post by gibson7 » Aug 23rd, '07, 05:26

i think its LG Prada

nophankh

Post by nophankh » Aug 23rd, '07, 05:32

mista_chewey wrote:
probably the first touch phone in america
america always slow to new tech with phones and internet bandwidth compared to korea japan HK, and some of europe
This is so sad, I wanna move to S Korea because they have better tech than the US. haha.

marie_23

Post by marie_23 » Aug 23rd, '07, 06:00

nophankh wrote:
marie_23 wrote:The only reason I wanted to watch it was because the original Synopsis said the story was going to be involving a girl who pretends to be a guy in order to escape an arrange marriage. I thought cool I'll get in a try sounds fun and light :D I was Wrong! :glare: I found out later what the true synopsis is and after watching a couple episodes I find the drama a bit boring.

Another thing that bothered me was the length they took in the drama for the main female lead to tell the male lead her true gender. I think they dragged that part way to long. One other thing the second male lead guy who plays the cousin and his on off again girlfriend interaction in the drama at times seem more like wasted space to me. Overall, Coffee Prince is a mature and moving drama that at times be extremely slow paced but I'm enjoying it more and more as it goes along. :lol
When I first read the original synopsis, it totally turned me off because it sounded so familiar. I hate clique dramas and I felt the original synopsis was implying that. My expectations for CP were really low, but boy did it turn out FANTASTIC. CP is really refreshing and beautifully acted compared to many kdrama comedies out there. From the choice of music to the wardrobe, I'm really impressed with how CP evolved.

I find the cousin's relationship with his on and off gf interesting and not wasted space at all. You need conflict and the cousin and his gf provided it.
I was only expression my personal opinion about how I felt about the first couple episodes being sort draggy for "me". However, like I stated in my original post I'm starting to like it more as the story goes along. I can tell your a big fan of Coffee Prince and it seemed like you took my post way to personal. :blink I understand your a fan and respect the fact that you see this drama as being perfect in your eye's. But not everyone on the planet is going to look at this drama and only see shear perfection. Once again I think Coffee Prince is enjoyable to watch but for "me" it at times does has a couple of flaws.

elden41

Post by elden41 » Aug 23rd, '07, 06:21

gibson7 wrote:
i think its LG Prada
I believe the same thing. This seems to be the "hot" phone right now. It was also in "Air City" and "War of Money".

merrica

Post by merrica » Aug 23rd, '07, 14:41

this drama is so worth the effort it takes to watch it.

I'm normally a bit blase about kdramas, but the acting in this is really good, and the plot is much better than the usual run-of-the mill kdrama. I'm hooked.

That's not to say that it's shakespeare...but then it never pretends to be anything other than what it is --> an enjoyable story with some good laughs along the way.

The gf is up to the latest episodes, and I'm lagging behind waiting for english subs to come out. I really cant thank the fansubbers enough for the time and effort it must take to do this.

myunoyume

Post by myunoyume » Aug 23rd, '07, 14:43

Me too Coffee Prince is my first K-Drama and a few weeks go I was loudly saying I can ONLY watch J-Drama.
But after reading so much good comments and reviews of Coffee Prince I became curious and as I am quite addicted to Hana Kimi (Jp version) and as the story is going slow, I had to focus on something else. I wanted a love story and similarity between HanaKimi & Coffee prince on sex gender play, really attracted me... (just imagine Nakatsu is Han Gyu.... ha ha ha... :lol ).

For hesitating people, I can say I was really surprised by good quality of this drama. Actors are playing really well, the love chemistry between characters is fanstatic, even more better than in all Jdrama I saw previously (less shy I dare say - here kiss are real).
This K Drama is less disapointing than some Jdrama for its love story.
And actor playing Han Gyu is really charming :wub:

Well, I am totally in love with this drama too.... I already watched 9 episodes in 3 days and I read all spoilers I could find, I really love the story !

Next week is final round..... so do not hesitate, just watch it ! It worth it !!!

kotatsulove

Post by kotatsulove » Aug 23rd, '07, 19:14

its good to hear some critique from the other side. i'm obviously a huge coffee prince fan, but i understand the criticism some of you are giving it. i never really thought that it was draggy, but normally i can only criticize stuff like that after i've seen the whole drama. i thought Goong was extremely draggy, but not this. none of it was boring, that's it.

i also heard some mention of the "hype" and popularity of this drama. i just have to say that "hype" is created when a lot of people like something. for that many to like the same thing to that extent, its probably going to be good. just keep that in mind. sometimes i get a little opposed to something if its getting a lot of attention and popularity, but its always good to give it a try and see what its all about. after you've seen it, then you can make your decision.

i'm sorry if this sounded mean, i'm really not trying to be. i just really hate it when hype turns people away from a drama, because they're missing out.

and i have to say it again: this drama is just plain good. it doesn't play up the dramatic scene with high-tension music, or repeat scenes over and over in "flashbacks." it doesn't scream at you to like it, but you do anyway.

kurodreams

Post by kurodreams » Aug 23rd, '07, 20:07

mista_chewey wrote:probably the first touch phone in america
nophankh wrote:This is so sad, I wanna move to S Korea because they have better tech than the US. haha.
uhm lolz im going bk to korea to get that phone xD dam shoulda payed attention to that phone in coffee prince b4 i came bk xD. do they sell it online? seems pretty expensive o.O

mega_fanatic

Post by mega_fanatic » Aug 23rd, '07, 22:24

umm, this is my first time posting, so im sorry if there is anything wrong with it. :sweat: i especially signed up just to post on this topic because i ADORE coffee prince.

I agree with myunoyume on the whole "i only watch j-drama" thing. i used to be like that but coffee prince has completely changed that. I watched shows like witch yoo hee and movies like 200 lbs of beauty and they were good but not as good as Hana Yori Dango was the first time i watched it. So i thought "i'll just stick with Jdrama's." But now it's like jdrama who? i mean im watching Hana Kimi but it's just not the same you know? :scratch:

The easiest way for me to put this is that CP did for me what HYD did. It turned me onto Kdrama's like HYD turned me on to Jdrama's. I LOVE YEH AND GONG, they are absolutely the cutest couple i have ever seen in a drama. I can't wait to finish this drama so i can re-watch it. Yeah, this is definitely a drama i can see myself re-watching. the music from this drama is also awesome. i mean the casting, music, and acting is probably the best i've seen in a drama...ANY drama for that fact.

thanks to all the subbers and thanks to all of you who post in this topic. you guys give me something to read when im not watching coffee prince :D

mista_chewey

Post by mista_chewey » Aug 23rd, '07, 22:45

kurodreams wrote:
mista_chewey wrote:probably the first touch phone in america
nophankh wrote:This is so sad, I wanna move to S Korea because they have better tech than the US. haha.
uhm lolz im going bk to korea to get that phone xD dam shoulda payed attention to that phone in coffee prince b4 i came bk xD. do they sell it online? seems pretty expensive o.O
you can buy almost anything on ebay if it'll work with your service carrier is another story.

jooliepoolie

Post by jooliepoolie » Aug 23rd, '07, 22:46

myunoyume wrote:Me too Coffee Prince is my first K-Drama and a few weeks go I was loudly saying I can ONLY watch J-Drama.
But after reading so much good comments and reviews of Coffee Prince I became curious and as I am quite addicted to Hana Kimi (Jp version) and as the story is going slow, I had to focus on something else. I wanted a love story and similarity between HanaKimi & Coffee prince on sex gender play, really attracted me... (just imagine Nakatsu is Han Gyu.... ha ha ha... :lol ).

For hesitating people, I can say I was really surprised by good quality of this drama. Actors are playing really well, the love chemistry between characters is fanstatic, even more better than in all Jdrama I saw previously (less shy I dare say - here kiss are real).
This K Drama is less disapointing than some Jdrama for its love story.
And actor playing Han Gyu is really charming :wub:

Well, I am totally in love with this drama too.... I already watched 9 episodes in 3 days and I read all spoilers I could find, I really love the story !

Next week is final round..... so do not hesitate, just watch it ! It worth it !!!

haha yea coffee prince is a quality kdrama.... i lovvveeee itt!!! :wub:
it's refreshing b/c its original and doesnt have those cliche kdrama plotlines

o and the actor playing han kyung is named
gong yoo ^^

jooliepoolie

Post by jooliepoolie » Aug 23rd, '07, 22:47

hrmmmm.... the first pic is ridiculously big.... my bad!!!

mikan_suki

Post by mikan_suki » Aug 24th, '07, 00:31

Sorry for getting off topic but, does anybody know what model is HK's mobile phone is? At first I though it was an Iphone but then the side and the features looks different... :scratch:

just curious... lol :lol

silently_solitude

Post by silently_solitude » Aug 24th, '07, 00:49

I'm addicted to all dramas, but i have to say coffee prince is the first GREAT drama that i've ever saw. You guys are right, it just has something different with it. I hope the director comes up with another something something. i never re-watch dramas, ever! But I have watched every episode of coffee prince over 4x. heheeh...

ali_sen

Post by ali_sen » Aug 24th, '07, 01:03

I have to say this. I lived in Korea for a while, and it turned me off to Korean TV and dramas entirely. Everything was so over-dramatic, depressing, suicidal, draggy, blah blah blah. I thought there would never possibly be a Kdrama I liked. The closest drama I had gotten with is Delightful Girl ChoonHyang, and even that was close to being hated for its overly-angsty, overly-depressing, dragged-through-every-possible-and-impossible-scenario story. AUGH.

So when everyone was talking about how awesome CP was, I was probably the biggest critic. Finally I downloaded it just to see what the hype was about... :O :O :O

I have NEVER been more pleasantly surprised since I discovered the existence of microwave rice. If Korea used this drama as the standard for making new dramas, i think I might have to convert! Pleasant, close-to-home emotions and situations, adorable and believable acting, and likeable characters (with a couple exceptions), and a lot of chuckles... well, this drama made it into my top 10 favorites list easily. Anyone turning up their noses at this delightful drama should really try a cup before passing it over for something else. I definitely do recomend this show. :)

:whistling:

adyhottie

Post by adyhottie » Aug 24th, '07, 01:36

what is Gong Yoo's cellphone model? i mean what is the name of his cellphone?

strawberrynkiwi

Post by strawberrynkiwi » Aug 24th, '07, 01:47

^^ If I remembered correctly from soompi, it is a Prada phone.

pinklover27

Post by pinklover27 » Aug 24th, '07, 06:38

BTS of the finale...love it..credit to soompi's iluvyoo2, kdocn and dcyeh

pinklover27

Post by pinklover27 » Aug 24th, '07, 06:41

another BTS spoiler..credit to soompi's iluvyoo2, kdocn and dcyeh

mega_fanatic

Post by mega_fanatic » Aug 24th, '07, 07:02

pinklover27 wrote:BTS of the finale...love it..credit to soompi's iluvyoo2, kdocn and dcyeh

it took all the strength and willpower i had to not open that spoiler it almost drove me mad :goggle:

pinklover27

Post by pinklover27 » Aug 24th, '07, 07:06

^^ cmon just click it..i know you want to...hehehe

pinklover27

Post by pinklover27 » Aug 24th, '07, 07:08

last pic...credits to soompi's iluvyoo2, kdocn and dcyeh..

myunoyume

Post by myunoyume » Aug 24th, '07, 07:49

jooliepoolie wrote:

gong yoo ^^
[
Wow, thanks for these pix... :wub:

I also want to rewatch again this drama, and I usually don't do ! It will be aslo in my Top 10 for sure. I am so pleased each ep are playing during 1hr, and there are 17 eps ! I can enjoy it for a very long time :w00t:

This love story is so romantic... in each ep, I got butterflies in my stomach, and my heart is beating like during a first new love ! :whistling:

Yeah, the music playlist is really really good and in the same time I discovered a new band I ve never heard about before (Azure Ray - the song "Across the ocean - we can hear it in Ep where they are going to the beach, and in Ep 11 at the end - Sooo beautiful dramatic song !).

Ali-sen, I completely agree with all your comment ! If Kdrama are going as good as CP, well, I will watch less Jdrama soon :P (well, I am completely in love with japanese language, so I cannot....).
And I was quite surprised to hear japanese with Sun ki :lol

Fianlly, I found houses in this drama so beautiful. That's interesting, I really discover South Korea with this drama. I would be pleased to visit this country one day !

Coffee prince, you rock !

silverlyblue

Post by silverlyblue » Aug 24th, '07, 07:55

:)
Last edited by silverlyblue on Feb 16th, '14, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.

mega_fanatic

Post by mega_fanatic » Aug 24th, '07, 13:33

myunoyume wrote:
jooliepoolie wrote:

gong yoo ^^
[
:

This love story is so romantic... in each ep, I got butterflies in my stomach, and my heart is beating like during a first new love ! :whistling:

I really discover South Korea with this drama. I would be pleased to visit this country one day !

Coffee prince, you rock !
I completely agree with both of those statements. I find myself smiling stupidly while watching go eun chan and han kyul interact. :wub: :wub: :wub: I keep saying to myself "agiooooooo they're so cute!!!!" And i love how they can be cute without being mushy and sickening you know :P

And im actually reconsidering the destination for my foreing exchange student program. I might just go to south korea (but like you said, i also have a huge fascination with the japansese language so that's highly unlikely). BUT i would looove to go there to visit :D

and yes coffee prince does rock. im hoping for more seasons to come (even though i haven't seen the ending yet :whistling: [/quote]

adyhottie

Post by adyhottie » Aug 24th, '07, 14:55

i love coffee prince!!

jooliepoolie

Post by jooliepoolie » Aug 24th, '07, 17:39

:cry: its almost over............
wah~~

amirvero

Post by amirvero » Aug 24th, '07, 18:53

pinklover27 wrote:
amirvero wrote:I've been bad I have actually watched some of the episodes without the subtitles I was wondering what happened in episodes 14 to 16...I mean I understand a bit by their actions but what they are saying nothing :(
you should visit this blog http://www.dramabeans.com...this site has detailed summaries of CP from the first epi to the current one...It's very useful especially if u watch the raws first...
thank you

nophankh

Post by nophankh » Aug 25th, '07, 05:21

marie_23 wrote:
I was only expression my personal opinion about how I felt about the first couple episodes being sort draggy for "me". However, like I stated in my original post I'm starting to like it more as the story goes along. I can tell your a big fan of Coffee Prince and it seemed like you took my post way to personal. :blink I understand your a fan and respect the fact that you see this drama as being perfect in your eye's. But not everyone on the planet is going to look at this drama and only see shear perfection. Once again I think Coffee Prince is enjoyable to watch but for "me" it at times does has a couple of flaws.
haha, don't worry I didn't take it personally. It's only a drama. I like it, but I'm not obsessed.
I was just pointing out my opinions too, we can disagree. This is a thread for discussion.

emceelegs

Post by emceelegs » Aug 25th, '07, 09:02

There's one more episode left and I'm excited about the ending....Coffee prince fever
is still in me.... :roll

belleza

Post by belleza » Aug 25th, '07, 09:19

If Kdrama are going as good as CP, well, I will watch less Jdrama soon
So, the thing with Coffee Prince (more apparent over at soompi than at d-addicts) is that it's part of a shift going on with Korean TV the past 2 years. All three stations have found that the domestic Korean audience, especially the 16-30 crowd, are tuning out standard soaps and cutesy rom coms for American programming like CSI, Gray's Anatomy, Lost, etc. Basically the idea is that today's viewing audience are much more hip and sophisticated, and need to see characters and productions which reflect that.

This has been especially true for MBC's programming the past year. HIT, Air City, Time of Dog and Wolf, even Goong S to a degree, really an emphasis on production-heavy, action-oriented fare. But, Coffee Prince is probably the future of the Korean romantic comedy. The American influences are really strong with the show -- the way the soundtrack runs like a playlist, the frank and casual displays of public affection and relationship dynamics, the mix of the adorable and sardonic, irony over slapstick, discussion and introspection (emo?) over random acts of K-drama histrionics, seamless dramedy, etc. The show remains indelibly Korean in sensibilities, but the show recognizes that the current post-cellphone, post-blog generation -- particularly the young Korean woman -- craves fairy tale romance but real world independence, and they don't necessarily see a contradiction in that. And they don't want merely beautiful people in beautiful houses, but a window into a progressive, exciting urban life. And they want it shot in a Seoul that could be as "bo-bo" as a Parisian cafe, as pancultural as a New York airport, and as twee as a camera booth. In widescreen lens with film-style edits and beautiful night shots and creative shots of urban space.

Above all, they -- much like the modern American romcom -- like the idea of men who want to talk through things, and women who can be loved for their imperfections. It's not about bad childhoods or amnesia plots or misplaced brother-sister love; it's not about women domesticating bad men or rich men falling in love with the "innocenct" girl next door. People are just born very imperfect and unapologetically so, and there's a lot of humor and tears in how persons of mutual flaws brings us together. CP makes this cute and sexy.
There's one more episode left and I'm excited about the ending....Coffee prince fever
is still in me...
I'm really looking forward to the special; it also functions as Gong Yoo's farewell to his fans.

mega_fanatic

Post by mega_fanatic » Aug 25th, '07, 13:02

belleza wrote:
If Kdrama are going as good as CP, well, I will watch less Jdrama soon
So, the thing with Coffee Prince (more apparent over at soompi than at d-addicts) is that it's part of a shift going on with Korean TV the past 2 years. All three stations have found that the domestic Korean audience, especially the 16-30 crowd, are tuning out standard soaps and cutesy rom coms for American programming like CSI, Gray's Anatomy, Lost, etc. Basically the idea is that today's viewing audience are much more hip and sophisticated, and need to see characters and productions which reflect that.

This has been especially true for MBC's programming the past year. HIT, Air City, Time of Dog and Wolf, even Goong S to a degree, really an emphasis on production-heavy, action-oriented fare. But, Coffee Prince is probably the future of the Korean romantic comedy. The American influences are really strong with the show -- the way the soundtrack runs like a playlist, the frank and casual displays of public affection and relationship dynamics, the mix of the adorable and sardonic, irony over slapstick, discussion and introspection (emo?) over random acts of K-drama histrionics, seamless dramedy, etc. The show remains indelibly Korean in sensibilities, but the show recognizes that the current post-cellphone, post-blog generation -- particularly the young Korean woman -- craves fairy tale romance but real world independence, and they don't necessarily see a contradiction in that. And they don't want merely beautiful people in beautiful houses, but a window into a progressive, exciting urban life. And they want it shot in a Seoul that could be as "bo-bo" as a Parisian cafe, as pancultural as a New York airport, and as twee as a camera booth. In widescreen lens with film-style edits and beautiful night shots and creative shots of urban space.

Above all, they -- much like the modern American romcom -- like the idea of men who want to talk through things, and women who can be loved for their imperfections. It's not about bad childhoods or amnesia plots or misplaced brother-sister love; it's not about women domesticating bad men or rich men falling in love with the "innocenct" girl next door. People are just born very imperfect and unapologetically so, and there's a lot of humor and tears in how persons of mutual flaws brings us together. CP makes this cute and sexy.
is still in me...
I'm really looking forward to the special; it also functions as Gong Yoo's farewell to his fans.
wow thanks for that. you did a really good job putting it all in perspective :thumright: :thumleft:
im soo sad gong yoo's leaving, he makes the world go round hehehe :wub: :wub:

12bucklemyshoe

Post by 12bucklemyshoe » Aug 26th, '07, 14:35

At first I kept wondering why can't the main male lead tell that the other main lead is a girl it's so obvious :roll But, I figure just to pretend along that he is in deed having trouble figuring this out. Another thing that bothered me was the length they took in the drama for the main female lead to tell the male lead her true gender. I think they dragged that part way to long. One other thing the second male lead guy who plays the cousin and his on off again girlfriend interaction in the drama at times seem more like wasted space to me. Overall, Coffee Prince is a mature and moving drama that at times be extremely slow paced but I'm enjoying it more and more as it goes along. :lol
I agree with you. I didn't get into it till like episode 6 so. I got really bored watching it and stopped for a while. It picked up and was good up till episode 12. Episode 13 was a big disappointment for me because I found it incredibly boring. I'm going to keep watching it because I want to see the end. But if I try episode 14 and it's still boring, I'll just skip episodes 15 and 16 and just see how it ends.

But don't worry, you're not the only person who doesn't think it's the best show ever or that it's flawed. At least people like you and I are still watching. I know some people who've pretty much stopped and don't find it interesting at all. For starters, it's yet to break the 30% in ratings (although it might for the last episode). That shows that even though it's popular, it's not that popular. Kim Sam Soon, for example, broke 30% by its fourth episode and 50% by it's last one.

I've definitely enjoyed some parts of it but for me, it's not even the best drama of 2007.

nophankh

Post by nophankh » Aug 26th, '07, 18:53

Guys, preview of ep. 17 has been released.

here's the short preview

download hq of short preview
http://swf.imbc.com/broad/tv/drama/coff ... w_last.swf
the morning after is so cute, you just want to melt with happiness.

jooliepoolie

Post by jooliepoolie » Aug 26th, '07, 21:36

nophankh wrote:Guys, preview of ep. 17 has been released.

here's the short preview

download hq of short preview
http://swf.imbc.com/broad/tv/drama/coff ... w_last.swf
the morning after is so cute, you just want to melt with happiness.
thnx a bunch!!! haha those spoiler pix are scandalous!!!!!