Hong Gil Dong (KBS2, 2008)

Post by arabian » Sep 7th, '07, 16:51

credit to Rebby@soompi

@Details :

Title: 홍길동 / Hong Gil Dong
Episodes: 24
Broadcast network: KBS2
Broadcast period: 2008-Jan-2 to 2008
Air time: Wed-Thu 21:55 (9:55 Korean time)
Script Writers : Hong Jeong Eun, Hong Mi Ran (My Girl, Fantasy Couple, Delightful Girl Chunhyang)

@Cast :

Kang Ji Hwan as Hong Gil Dong
Sung Yu Ri as Heo Lee Nok
Jang Geun Suk as Lee Chang Hwui
Park Sang Wook as Shim Soo Geun

@Hong Gil-Dong Synopsis:

Hong Gil Dong is the son of a minister. Gil Dong practiced Taoist magic at a young age. His family feared his powers so they planned to have him assassinated. But Gil Dong escaped and decided to become a bandit leader. Gil Dong robbed from the corrupt officials and gave the money to the poor citizens. This drama takes place during the Joseon period.
Last edited by arabian on Jan 26th, '08, 16:25, edited 3 times in total.

belleza

Post by belleza » Sep 7th, '07, 20:17

Yeah, there's a recent "Sung Yu Ri vs. YEH" thread over at Popseoul regarding Sung Yu Ri taking on the "girl pretending to be a boy" thing. (In the Hong Dil Gong novel, her female character dressed as a boy . . . kinda like Mulan?)

I actually feel bad for Yu Ri because her recent shows haven't done well, and she possibly gets more criticism for her acting than any current star. Now, you've invited comparisons to YEH and her "she's a real actress now" performance in Coffee Prince, and well you've reopened Finkl vs. Baby Vox.

Sigh. And I like Sung Yuri's shows too.

Then again, she seems to get paired against every rising male actor. KJH was just spot-on delightful in IMO KBS's best show of the year Capital Scandal.

dethos

Post by dethos » Sep 8th, '07, 06:52

yess a new sung yuri's drama :cheers: :cheers: i can't wait to watch her again

cantiara

Post by cantiara » Sep 8th, '07, 07:01

Oh my gosh, it's the Hong Sisters + Kang Ji Hwan + Sung Yuri combo! I'm so gonna watch this!

physics223

Post by physics223 » Sep 8th, '07, 17:22

It's the HONG sisters! HOLY ****ing AWESOME.

I love Choon Hyang, Fantasy Couple ... and now ...

But crap, it's Sung Yu Ri ... ;_;

(does she act better now?)

belleza

Post by belleza » Sep 10th, '07, 08:01

I'm not sure how much this will reflect the Hong Sister trademark style. After all, this is an adaptation of a classic Korean story.
(does she act better now?)
After much hard work, she's established herself as the finest actress from FinKl! :P

I liked her in Snow Queen and especially One Fine Day. Her face still isn't very expressive, and I guess some people find her speaking voice a little grating. But I don't know -- her characters seem appealing in the way Song Seung-heon characters are. They're inherently not that interesting (Snow Queen being exception <-- I thought she was much better than what the critics said) but they also work comfortably with their partners.

The problem here is that this role involves her really playing a tomboy, proactive role. Again, kinda like Mulan. She has to stand out for the romance part to work.

arabian

Post by arabian » Sep 10th, '07, 11:27

belleza wrote: The problem here is that this role involves her really playing a tomboy, proactive role. Again, kinda like Mulan. She has to stand out for the romance part to work.
That will be a big challenge for her .. to portray in this character which is not easy at all.. but I find her acting was fine in SQ with HB.. :-)

teemu8

Post by teemu8 » Sep 10th, '07, 18:07

sung yuri was pretty good in snow queen(i don't understand why they said that she is a bad actress) and i think she can surpise lots of people with this new drama

belleza

Post by belleza » Sep 10th, '07, 21:04

but I find her acting was fine in SQ with HB.
A lot of people HATED Sung Yu Ri as Bora, but I think that had more to do with Bora than Yu Ri. You had a bratty, even vicious, female character who was difficult to sympathize with (not that unlike Inoue Mao's character in First Kiss.) Of course, I thought that was Snow Queen's charm, the fact that the lead female was bad, bad, bad, and it helped sell Hyun Bin's character as a tortured saint. Above all, though it might have alienated some fans, it enabled Yu Ri to kinda play outside of her "innocent ingenue."

Her playing a tomboy is just bad timing though, given that it's going to follow up pretty quickly after Coffee Prince. CP has validated YEH as an actress and a true top draw, all this in less than two years of proper acting. Yu Ri has played leads since 2002, and she still is seen as a "singer-turned-actress."

physics223

Post by physics223 » Sep 13th, '07, 05:56

Remember Thousand Years of Love? Even So Ji Sup couldn't save it ... BECAUSE OF HER HAHAHA. >.<

Can it be Han Ye Seul plz?!? lol

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Sep 16th, '07, 22:00

I can't believe i didn't click on this thread earlier. I never bother looking at threads for period dramas. But the HONG SISTERS wrote this?!?!? There is no way I am not watching this, although I try to avoid watching historical dramas.
I've heard tons of people say that Sung Yuri sucks at acting. Apparently she's the worst singer-turned-actor/actress in Korea. Hmm. But she's pretty. So hopefully it won't be too bad.
Since this is written by the Hong sisters, does that mean it'll be a comedy? I love their writing style, and they make the funniest dramas (i.e. My Girl, DGCH, Fantasy Couple). But seeing as how Hong Gil Dong is historical, I doubt they'll put in humor, will they?

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Sep 17th, '07, 13:23

Of course it'll be a comedy, anything with Sung Yuri in it always turns out to be a joke, right? j/k :D

This drama does sound kinda interesting, and I hope for Sung Yuri's sake, it turns out to be a success.

physics223

Post by physics223 » Sep 18th, '07, 12:43

The Hong sisters had the foresight to choose Sung Yuri. She can make even the supposedly saddest dramas into a comedy. FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION! :D

lainek

Post by lainek » Oct 28th, '07, 05:23

For yuri's sake I have to get myself registered to post this...haha!

I think Yuri isn't a lousy actress...she may not have very outstanding performance for her last few dramas...but IMO....she was not that bad la!! My sister and I love "One Fine Day" thou she may be a little stiff in some parts, but overall her performance in this drama is still good. And in "Snow Queen" I can see lots of improvement and I believed she put a lot of hard work in it, she played the role "Bo Ra" very well.... I really like her since I watched "Snow Queen" and am really desperately waiting for her new drama "Hong Gil Dong".

As for her comparison with YEH....well...both of them do have similarity in their career path...therefore comparison is unavoidable. Sometimes getting a good role, a good script and good working partners all these plays a part, we have to pray hard that she gets good roles in near future. I hope Yuri takes criticism on a positive side and make effort to outshine others and in the end challenge herself.

Good luck Yuri!

ailahai

Post by ailahai » Oct 28th, '07, 05:48

yeah... wish to watch this drama... waiting for upload n sub patiently

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Oct 28th, '07, 14:37

Good on ya for registering lah! Welcome to the forums :)

Yeah she really isn't as bad as some people claim, but then, she isn't any good either. There's still plenty of room for improvement and I'm sure she will improve....eventually ^^

belleza

Post by belleza » Nov 1st, '07, 22:01

Apparently, there was some casting controversy with Hong Gil Dong. Originally Joo Ji Hoon was going to be cast in Hong Gil Dong, but either he pulled out or his agency Olive Nine (yay!!!) pulled out right before the production was supposed to start. This is the 2nd time a JJH/SY casting fell through, and this is the 2nd casting issue this year related to O9. Some people say JJH wanted A-list money (a la his partner YEH); other people say it's Olive Nine's fault.
Yeah she really isn't as bad as some people claim, but then, she isn't any good either. There's still plenty of room for improvement and I'm sure she will improve....eventually ^^
Truth is, I love both OFD and Snow Queen, and I liked her pairing with Gong Yoo more than YEH's in Coffee Prince. I like Coffee Prince a lot, but in terms of emotional connection, it's really Gong Yoo who sells the love. Whereas in One Fine Day, they just seemed oddly on the same page, in terms of how they look at each other and how they talked to each other. It just seemed to work.

To me, she's kinda like the female Song Seung Hun or Yamapi; .She's kinda like a puppy, a really lovable puppy. She barks; she whimpers; she looks really cute with a choker. In One Fine Day, she just wants to find a home. In Snow Queen, she snarls. And so on.
As for her comparison with YEH....well...both of them do have similarity in their career path...therefore comparison is unavoidable. Sometimes getting a good role, a good script and good working partners all these plays a part, we have to pray hard that she gets good roles in near future.
The thing with Sung Yuri is that she's mostly avoided doing rom-com dramas, whereas YEH hasn't yet ventured outside of that yet. So, on one hand, you respect SY for her choices, but then you also accept that, well, she's kinda out of her depths in these roles. I'm not sure her playing a tomboy will work, but she's got a really dynamic performer -- Kang Ji Hwan -- playing opposite her. Be strong Yuri!

beertax

Post by beertax » Nov 1st, '07, 23:46

physics223 wrote:The Hong sisters had the foresight to choose Sung Yuri. She can make even the supposedly saddest dramas into a comedy. FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION! :D
Incorrect. The casting director chose the actress. It's quite possible the Hong sisters are not happy with the main lead actress.

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Nov 3rd, '07, 01:57

belleza wrote:Apparently, there was some casting controversy with Hong Gil Dong. Originally Joo Ji Hoon was going to be cast in Hong Gil Dong, but either he pulled out or his agency Olive Nine (yay!!!) pulled out right before the production was supposed to start. This is the 2nd time a JJH/SY casting fell through, and this is the 2nd casting issue this year related to O9. Some people say JJH wanted A-list money (a la his partner YEH); other people say it's Olive Nine's fault.
I heard about that too. In fact, here's an "article" about it:

http://popseoul.com/2007/08/23/joo-ji-h ... #more-4922

thtlam

Post by thtlam » Nov 3rd, '07, 03:48

yea i heard about the casting issue with Hong Gil Dong and wasn't it suppose to have Jo Hyun Jae too? they didn't pick the lead actress yet and all of a sudden both dropped the project and eventually Kang Ji Hwan is casted..which I don't mind I really like Kang Ji Hwan and is looking forward to watching this drama :D

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Nov 3rd, '07, 12:58

belleza, I don't quite see how Sung Yuri is kinda like the female Song Seung Hun? Surely that's a bit of an insult to SSH? Also, just out of curiosity, are you a F or M? I could never ascertain that from your posts :unsure:

belleza

Post by belleza » Nov 5th, '07, 23:43

I heard about that too. In fact, here's an "article" about it:

http://popseoul.com/2007/08/23/joo-ji-h ... #more-4922
Yeah, that's where I read about the JJH business. As a side note, I like popseoul a lot, but some of the writing lately has been bad. (Also, erm, their fashion observations are not as spot on as it was in spring! :D ) I'm not really a JJH fan, but to speculate that JJH is in a salary war with his ex-costar Eun Hye just sounds really irresponsible considering that Eun Hye and other stars have also fought with the Olive Nine agency.
I don't quite see how Sung Yuri is kinda like the female Song Seung Hun? Surely that's a bit of an insult to SSH?
Ahh, well, the in joke there is that Sung Yuri and SSH used to date. :D Quite literally the mirror image of each other. ;)

SSH's acting is . . . well he's really pretty. :D And when I mean pretty, sure Lee Jung Ki is pretty, but SSH is a beautiful, beautiful man. Autumn Tale has like three beautiful people and one "OMG I can't believe THAT was Miss Korea!!" SSH isn't well regarded as an actor -- his range is pretty limited; when he plays leads, he tends to disappear. Part of it is casting; he's much better playing aggressive alpha male characters, just as Sung Yuri's acting was much better when she played Bo Ra. And it needs to be said -- he has one or two facial expressions, but they are facial expressions chiselled by a god. So that's okay -- I like SSH a lot, and I can't wait for his comeback project. :D

Given the short, fickle life of K-pop, many singers transition into acting, especially into romantic comedy roles. But, almost without exception, they have to work against the preception of not being a real actor/actress, driven by antis carried over from their pop star days. A lot of it is about winning over the female viewing audience, which is done through rom-coms. Eun Hye has a strong, loyal female following; Sung Yuri doesn't.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Nov 6th, '07, 14:48

Wait a minute....Yu-mi played by Han Na Na was Miss Korea? LOL! What were they thinking? Give me Honey Lee any day! Thanks for that bit of very interesting trivia, I was never aware of it before. Well actually, even if someone told me, I would've said they're lying. But Wiki must be right...it always is ;)

And erm.....the clues regarding you-know-what that you scattered in your previous post was a bit too subtle. Stop talking in riddles. I need something that S-P-E-L-L-S I-T O-U-T. :)

Otherwise, thank you for your wonderful insight on K-dramas. I've enjoyed reading many of your posts. Hey, we might have another 'Mr. X' on our hands. Or is that 'Miss. X'? :D

belleza

Post by belleza » Nov 25th, '07, 11:24

Recent dramabeans entry on Hong Gil Don

http://www.dramabeans.com/2007/11/sneak ... -gil-dong/

Love the photos of Kang Ji Hwan and Sung Yu Ri. I'm all about fusion sageuks, but I think this is the first emo K-drama ever!! Love the goffff bangs KJH!!! :D

As a side note, I totally applaud KBS's recent run of fusion dramas (and Capital Scandal IS good!), but dude one of them HAS to earn >10 ratings. Hopefully this is the one to break their year long cold streak.

arabian

Post by arabian » Nov 25th, '07, 15:08

@belleza.. I really like Kang Ji Hwan acting in capital scandal & I really expect a lot from him in this drama.. :-)

belleza

Post by belleza » Nov 26th, '07, 08:21

You know -- I have to confess, I've never watch a Hong Sisters rom-com before. Should I start on My Girl or Fantasy Couple?
I really like Kang Ji Hwan acting in capital scandal & I really expect a lot from him in this drama..
You know, it turns out that, before moving to TV, KJH was a popular musical theatre actor. He apparently switched because, well, that's where the money is. :D

His most popular role is opposite Han Hye-Jin (of ju-MONG! fame) in Be Strong Geum Soon. I liked Capital Scandal, but I didn't like some of the casting; to me, Han Hye-Jin would have been a perfect choice for Han Ji Min's character. CS doens't have so much fire and ice as it has fire and "frown." :D

Most Korean actors emphasize a naturalistic (i.e. learn from doing soaps) approach to acting, emphasizing their personality. But KJH actually has real training, and it shows in his precise comic timing and the utter ease he is at switching between broad screwball to charged, fiery performances. KH plays broad, but he doesn't fuzzy the details. And he's one of the few actors (Jang Hyuk is another) in that age group who acts with a real temper, but in a way that conveys genuine sincerity rather than aggression.

He's probably my favorite male lead performance this year, just because it's so rare to see "big" acting in Korean non-sageuks. He is PERFECT for this kind of drama.

The real catch-22 is Sung Yu Ri, but I LOVE her hair! :D Give her some eyeliner and put on some New Order, and you have the next Damo. ;) I'm watching Thousand Years of Love, and besides being distracted by her "old"(?) nose (she had work done, but I forgot what), I could see her play her role in this same way. Actually just the side of Sung Yu Ri taking out baddies like Jumong is worth watching too. :D

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Nov 26th, '07, 13:05

belleza wrote:You know -- I have to confess, I've never watch a Hong Sisters rom-com before. Should I start on My Girl or Fantasy Couple?
Do it in chronological order IMO. Start with DGCH :) No, if you can only watch one, then definitely go for My Girl.
The real catch-22 is Sung Yu Ri, but I LOVE her hair! :D Give her some eyeliner and put on some New Order, and you have the next Damo. ;) I'm watching Thousand Years of Love, and besides being distracted by her "old"(?) nose (she had work done, but I forgot what), I could see her play her role in this same way. Actually just the side of Sung Yu Ri taking out baddies like Jumong is worth watching too. :D

She reminds me a bit of Tifa Lockheart from FFVII in that pic, and yeah, her hair looks great. I didn't know she had some work done though, but more importantly, I can't believe you're watching 1000 Years of Crap :P

belleza

Post by belleza » Nov 26th, '07, 19:34

She reminds me a bit of Tifa Lockheart from FFVII in that pic, and yeah, her hair looks great. I didn't know she had some work done though, but more importantly, I can't believe you're watching 1000 Years of Crap
The show's amazing! She kills like 20 people at once (with nary a stain on her hangbok!), but she rolls up like a scared little puppy when she discovers the horror of TV. Ahhhhhhhh It's a pretty good "Taiwanese idol drama." The 12 year old in me squeals with delight! :D

Yeah, Sung Yu Ri's had a bit of work done on her post-debut, but I forgot whether it was the jawline or the nose. And her eyes in Thousand made me do a double-take, but I'd imagine those were "hers" at least prior to Fin-Kl. I mean, all real minor though, nothing like Fany's "Odelay vato!!" transformation. Wow. Korean surgeons are awesome.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Nov 27th, '07, 13:49

belleza wrote:
She reminds me a bit of Tifa Lockheart from FFVII in that pic, and yeah, her hair looks great. I didn't know she had some work done though, but more importantly, I can't believe you're watching 1000 Years of Crap
The show's amazing! She kills like 20 people at once (with nary a stain on her hangbok!), but she rolls up like a scared little puppy when she discovers the horror of TV. Ahhhhhhhh It's a pretty good "Taiwanese idol drama." The 12 year old in me squeals with delight! :D
Sold.

I'm watching next. I just hope it's not as long and draggy as the title suggests :P

belleza

Post by belleza » Nov 28th, '07, 09:17

See, my hunch is that if you survive the first two episodes of Thousand Year of Love (which is godawful -- it's like a homage to 80s wuxia made by broke college film grads for Youtube!!), you might actually like this show.

I'm almost halfway through -- this show isn't actually good, but the humor is genuinely . . . wrong. :D Essentially a typical scene goes like this . . .

Stranger 1: This **** is crazy!
Stranger 2: This **** is an idiot!
Sung Yuri: *pouts* *cries a little*
Stranger 1: Yeah, but she's really adorable.
Stranger 2: **** *is* cute
Sung Yuri: *brightens up*
Stranger 1/2: Ahhhhhhh

This is played over and over again, and yeah the misogyny is definitely there. (There's one scene where our hapless princess is a go-go dancer . . .) Seriously, this is maybe the first Korean romance show I've seen that was marketed for girls, but written for men. I mean, I should be really offended with this show, but it's really funny when you watch it this way. :D

arabian

Post by arabian » Dec 6th, '07, 15:33

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Dec 7th, '07, 13:32

Well the trailer pretty much confirms it as a comedy which isn't really what I had hoped for considering the Hong sisters' comedic style borders along the lines of slapstick.

Ah well....Sun Yuri looks pretty at least :)

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Dec 8th, '07, 10:32

advert looks great. reminds me a little of Fong Sai Yuk as Jet Li wears sunnies in that and they were never invented in the style they are now

belleza

Post by belleza » Dec 9th, '07, 02:31

advert looks great. reminds me a little of Fong Sai Yuk as Jet Li
Honestly, I expect it to be about as campy as a early Jet Li flick. Lots of closeups and mugging to the camera. A lot of "you killed everyone in my village now you must die!" acting too. Should be fun! :D

This kinda reminds me of 1000 Years of Love actually. And's character looks like Sung Yuri of Sujini (of The Legend) if Sujini was played by Eun Hye. This is going to be a hit. :D

guccijana

Post by guccijana » Dec 9th, '07, 22:41

i hope its good! i want to see it!!

BOGCHI

Post by BOGCHI » Dec 15th, '07, 01:04

sounds kinda like Dororo

looking forward to this :thumleft:

chasen8888

Post by chasen8888 » Dec 17th, '07, 16:22

I am looking forward to this show. Is anyone planning to sub this series?

belleza

Post by belleza » Dec 17th, '07, 22:21

WithS2 is planning to take on Hong Gil Dong after In-soon has finished its run.

keaiclam

Post by keaiclam » Dec 21st, '07, 03:19

:D Sung yu ri =]

I hope this one is good! I liked My Girl and DGCH.

doggieusa
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by doggieusa » Dec 21st, '07, 04:14

physics223 wrote:Remember Thousand Years of Love? Even So Ji Sup couldn't save it ... BECAUSE OF HER HAHAHA. >.<

Can it be Han Ye Seul plz?!? lol
I love thousand years of love. That show made me appreciate kdramas.

jooliepoolie

Post by jooliepoolie » Dec 21st, '07, 05:43

i'm tootally gonna watch this- i don't even care if sung yu ri's acting sucks or not :lol
i loved the main actor from capital scandal and i can't wait to see him act in this role!!!!

arabian

Post by arabian » Dec 27th, '07, 05:24

The cast looks funny with this wierd clothes.. :D

It seems the OST released.. :w00t:

BOGCHI

Post by BOGCHI » Dec 27th, '07, 09:51

arabian wrote:The cast looks funny with this wierd clothes.. :D

It seems the OST released.. :w00t:
they looked like they were attending a cosplay

from Delightful Girl to Fantasy Couple, I've liked almost all of the Hong sister's work. high expectation for this one.

Archaenon

Post by Archaenon » Dec 28th, '07, 15:59

Ive been waiting on this for some time. I know alot of people hate the fact it looks corny , but I love historical comedy. That's just me though.

Definantly one of my watches or 2008.

pansiu

Post by pansiu » Dec 29th, '07, 00:07

I really like Sug Yuri, I'm sure gone watch this drama.

pansiu

Post by pansiu » Dec 29th, '07, 00:10

pansiu wrote:I really like Sug Yuri, I'm sure gone watch this drama.
Hmmmm don't like Sug Yuri that much, but really like Sung Yuri :)

FoolyDooly

Post by FoolyDooly » Dec 29th, '07, 14:01

belleza wrote:Yeah, there's a recent "Sung Yu Ri vs. YEH" thread over at Popseoul regarding Sung Yu Ri taking on the "girl pretending to be a boy" thing. (In the Hong Dil Gong novel, her female character dressed as a boy . . . kinda like Mulan?)
I was thinking Robin Hood, just because storyline is VERY SIMILAR to it.

I'm not sure how much they'll follow in story of Epic, or History-wise. (After all, he did exist.) I also wonder how well this will turn out to be...

arabian

Post by arabian » Jan 3rd, '08, 15:46

Nationwide

KBS Hong Gil Dong 15.4

Seoul

KBS Hong Gil Dong 14.8

It seems Ep1 did well in the rating & a good start for new year for KBS dramas.. :lol

ukno

Post by ukno » Jan 5th, '08, 04:49

Any sub group taking this project? ..still haven't found any raw in torrent.

arabian

Post by arabian » Jan 5th, '08, 05:23

ukno wrote:Any sub group taking this project? ..still haven't found any raw in torrent.
WITHS2 should sub this but cuz they are delay all there subs now if u check the subtitle forum u'll find that a vitenamese group release sub for Ep1 as thier first work with releasing Eng sub..& the RAW'll find it either in WITHS2 CB or creidesca3 anyone u want.. :-)

Edit:

WITHS2 now released Ep1 sub..
:cheers:
Last edited by arabian on Jan 5th, '08, 08:24, edited 1 time in total.

belleza

Post by belleza » Jan 5th, '08, 05:52

First take at dramabeans seems pretty positive. I haven't dramas from the Hong Sisters, but it looks like there's just enough of their trademark style there, plus all the cheeky fusion stuff. (Think the swing dance in Capital Scandal!)

A 15 Rating (2nd epi a leeeetle bit lower) looks okay. Not great, but not a bad starting point. Slightly higher than Dal Ja's Spring (KBS's last trendy hit) at this time last year.

I mean, it can't be really understated. KBS really, really needs HGD to do well.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Jan 5th, '08, 16:09

Well Javabeans is a huge fan of the Hong sisters, so her positive recap of episode 1 might be slightly biased. If you take a gander at the HGD soompi thread, you'll notice a lot of negative comments such as "weird", "bad camera angles", "inappropriate techno music" etc. I know it's a fusion drama, but this reminds me a bit of the movie Duelist, which I absolutely hated.

But I'm probably still gonna watch it anyway since Sung Yuri looks great in these caps!

Image Image Image

credit to ilsses

belleza

Post by belleza » Jan 5th, '08, 21:42

Well Javabeans is a huge fan of the Hong sisters
I love her blog, partially because our tastes don't sync. My hunch is that she would like the non-idol J-dramas a lot if she gives it a real shot. Fo example, Dal Ja's Spring was a remake of Anego, which is a Ryoko Shinohara drama. Ryoko is the Queen of the Office Lady J-drama. And so on . . .
If you take a gander at the HGD soompi thread, you'll notice a lot of negative comments such as "weird", "bad camera angles", "inappropriate techno music" etc. I know it's a fusion drama, but this reminds me a bit of the movie Duelist, which I absolutely hated.
But I think you have to take a fusion drama for what they are. It's the same thing with Capital Scandal, which has lots of cheeky bits, broad stage-y characters, and visual gags. Or Damo, which like Duelist, has a mix of Eurocheese dance, a bunch of inappropriate filmic effects, and wuxia-style "ground shots." I'm going into Hong Gil Dong expecting a mix of Damo production technique and "Princess Pearl" cheekiness.

Personally, the above is why I don't love fusion dramas (I would have enjoyed Capital Scandal more if the treatment was straight), but I still accept them on their terms. Also they tend to dial down a bit as the show progresses (and the budget expectations are more reasonable.)

I think the only fusion drama I loved was Jewel in the Palace . . . and yes, I consider it a fusion sageuk. The (macro) storyline is sageuk; but the (micro) narrative is like a cooking (and then a hospital) J-drama. Long set of changes. Geek love of details. Fighting spirit. The tough but approving sempai. Etc.

jooliepoolie

Post by jooliepoolie » Jan 6th, '08, 19:23

pictures!!!
Image Image
bwuhaha

marvelous
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by marvelous » Jan 7th, '08, 04:11

This is not even a saguek

This is more like combination of Modern and Saguek. It feels more like a play than a drama.

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Jan 7th, '08, 06:52

Really? WITHS2 is subbing again? I'm so excited to see this; I think I may even drop the 3(?) dramas I'm currently watching and devour Hong Gil Dong.

But what's with the negative comments? I, too, am a huge fan of the Hong sisters (maybe that's why I like javabeans so much?) so hopefully this one doesn't disappoint.

belleza

Post by belleza » Jan 7th, '08, 06:56

Watched first 10 minutes of this . . . . I had to do a double-take with KJH because he looked eerily like Jo Ji Hoon with the Davey Havok haircut. Wow. Emo JJH would have been hella hot! Who knew? I think this is Sung Yuri's first bust-a-move since FinKl. And I think she forgot how to bust a move. Maybe a Wonder Girl will join the cast . . . I can see the comparisons to Sujini, esp. since Lee Ji-ah really loves "teh goff" (and I LOVE her chest-thumps, feeling YOU E!))

The fusion bits were nicely done. It reminded me a little bit of Damo,, though I think the music could have been better. The way to go would be to hire the people who did music for Soulmate -- if you got both leads all in emo, you got to throw in some New Wave dance music here. Like have them kiling people while playing Boys Don't Cry or something.

belleza

Post by belleza » Jan 7th, '08, 07:07

Really? WITHS2 is subbing again?
That goes without saying -- HGD is the first hyped K-drama of 2008. Popular cast (and controversial casting!), Hong Sisters, and just all-out good, wacky fun. They are relaxing their embargo to honour the anticipation for it.
But what's with the negative comments?
I think this is their first real exposure to fusion dramas (though Goong does qualify too.) The "film grammar" of fusion sageuks are especially off the map -- you take the stodgiest format and then make it as "hip" as possible, even if it is not "in good taste" -- and the humor can kinda get into Monty Python and the Holy Grail territory.

lill_sweetty

Post by lill_sweetty » Jan 8th, '08, 03:04

I'm an avid reader of dramabeans and her tastes pretty much match mine. She has really good points

Maybe that's why I really really like Hong Gil Dong, despite being weirded out by some too over-the-top comedy/gags. I expected some more along the lines of witty lines, instead of gags. I have REALLY high hopes for this. Don't let me down!!! Sung Yu Ri reminds me of the girl from My Girl a lot. Not in character (much), as she's more boyish here, but in acting. Some of the faces Sung Yu Ri makes are eerily the same as Lee Dae Ha from My Girl. I don't have problems with it, just that she should put more "her" in it....

^_^ I don't expect many people to like this straight off the bat. It's a new fusion thing, and it takes it adjusting. Cheekiness and this type of Korean in a sageuks is hard to understand, and the angles wouldn't be so bad if it's action but as a sageuks....Once again, adjusting. It's rather more the style that people don't like, I think. (Though I do think sometimes the Hong sisters take it too far, like the dancing sequences...) I mean, that's why some prefer romantic comedies and other melodramas like Winter Sonata. Just my opinion.

nophankh

Post by nophankh » Jan 8th, '08, 03:09

I'm a little disappointed. This is one of my most anticipated drama for 2008 and it is totally letting me down. I'm not feeling the fusion of old and modern. Totally not feeling it. capital scandal was decent but this is just poor drama.

loveless_soul

Post by loveless_soul » Jan 8th, '08, 03:17

Well it's not that bad, the first time I watched it I was like wth with everything but after I watched it the second time and some more random stuff it grew on me =D I'm still willing to give this more chances b/c of the cast, writers, and the interesting music. Lol, rapping? XD

khmai_kandi22

Post by khmai_kandi22 » Jan 8th, '08, 03:21

I checked out the 1st episode of this drama, it's very.....interesting :lol

This is the first time I came across a kdrama like this. Episode 1 didn't seem so bad and so I'm looking forward to the next episode. Though I find it weird to see Sung Yuri fighting since last I saw her was in Snow Queen. :P

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Jan 8th, '08, 13:17

Dramabeans is an exceptionally well written blog with an immaculate layout and although I don't necessarily share the same tastes as her, I can't help but admire the work she's put in to that site. It's a pity only about 5% of her audience are male though, I guess guys just don't normally read that kinda stuff :)

As for HGD, I'm still interested in it because it's different, but I sure do hope there isn't too much slapstick comedy and especially please no Benny Hill style 'running gags'!

hdcaptain

Post by hdcaptain » Jan 9th, '08, 08:50

Does anyone know where to download the raw files other than cb?

marvelous
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by marvelous » Jan 9th, '08, 23:51

Hong Gil Dong is what Robin Hood was to Korea.

dante_tha_don

Post by dante_tha_don » Jan 10th, '08, 06:07

plot sounds interesting so it may be something worth watching and downloading

mrsmilevskyi2001

Post by mrsmilevskyi2001 » Jan 10th, '08, 07:00

if they didn't changed the lead, i might be watching it :glare: oh well...

jumjai

Post by jumjai » Jan 10th, '08, 10:12

i want to see it!! :D

aimlesswanderer

Post by aimlesswanderer » Jan 10th, '08, 12:04

So far this is looking like a fun series. It gets a bit silly at times but overall it's a real change from the other historical Kdramas I've seen. I generally like more serious and less silly series but this is lookin good at this early stage.

The techno music and dancing, and the brothel dance show complete with light and special effects was bizzare to say the least!

belleza

Post by belleza » Jan 11th, '08, 06:11

As for HGD, I'm still interested in it because it's different, but I sure do hope there isn't too much slapstick comedy and especially please no Benny Hill style 'running gags'!
Yeah, I think I'm in the minority in that I have HGD 3rd on my to-watch priority list, behind New Heart and Bad/Cruel/Mistaken/ScrewedUp/Wretched Love. (not sure about Robbers. I've never seen a Lee Dae Hee drama before, and I'm not sure I want to start with this . . . ) I was really looking forward to Sung Yuri with Jo Ji Hoon, which I thought could be romantic chemistry kismet. His deadpan stare; her frowning blankness. That's a match made in terminal disease heaven! :D I would have loved to see them in Spring Waltz.

A lot of the recent KBS shows have really gone into the cheeky stuff, and fusion sageuks almost guarantee a healthy bit of it. Verbal tit-for-tat doesn't translate as well when the show takes place before soap was popular. But that is the pro-con with fusion sageuks; I think people either take to it or not. Although Damo is regularly cited as a seminal work, I think it also turned off a lot of people too. The mix of wuxia and Eurocheese just didn't sit.

Anyway, just recently watched an entertainment program (which I think Han Ji Min used to host) with a small HGD blurb. You can just tell there's a GREAT vibe between the cast. Kwang Ji Hwan was saying how it was a lot fun working with people around the same age, and then SY, surprised retorted back "what?!?" (KJH is 30; SY is 26.) Then Jang Geun Suk (20) started saying he's like a uncle to them (LOL) SY mentioned that a lot of media had misrepresented her character as a "girl dressing up as boy" (she's right -- she's tomboyish and scrappy, but not androgynous like Sujini or Eun Chan) and that she didn't wear makeup for the role, and then JGS retorted "that's because you are a guy." LOL KJH pointed out that he was a fan of the Girls Generation and then started dancing. (LOLx4) Finally, he gave a congratulations and shout-out to Capital Scandal co-star Han Ji Min and said she was prettier (sexier?) in a hanbok than in her short dress at the KBS Awards (ooooh diss!) :D

lill_sweetty

Post by lill_sweetty » Jan 11th, '08, 22:28

It's a definite take-it-or-leave-it type of drama. If you like it, you like it. Though I have the feeling the drama will amp up a bit, especially with ep 3 preview (unfortunately, I don't know what the heck ep 3 is about not being able to understand Korean so can only go by the preview) so people that don't like the over-the-top silliness should stick around. But it's DEFINITELY growing on me, and rather quickly too....

@Belleza-- XD That is sooo funny. I've never quite been fond of Han Ji Min, but it's all in good jest anyway....JGS, that guy has my heart! He's only 20? I thought he was 21? Oh well, that's even better for me. ^^ KJH is really quite hot, but he's in his thirties...Now, JGS has a huge draw with his boyish pretty face..I'm hanging on every time he comes to the screen. And from the excerpt you said, it seems he also has a sweet, not that serious personality. It just keeps getting better and better!

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Jan 13th, '08, 14:02

That entertainment program sounds very .... entertaining, belleza. How do you get access to all these interesting programs? Here in Australia we get SFA regarding Korean entertainment.

Anyway, I read from Dramabeans that there's a bit of toilet humor in eps 3. Keeps getting better and better doesn't it? Not!

belleza

Post by belleza » Jan 16th, '08, 13:39

[QUOTE That is sooo funny. I've never quite been fond of Han Ji Min, but it's all in good jest anyway...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Han Ji Min is part of the "Actress of Three Han" (Han Ji Hye, Han Ji Min, Han Hye Jin), who along with the JJH Trinity (Jung Ji Hoon, Joo Ji Hoon, Jun Ji Hyun) and the Three Kims (Kim Min Jung, Kim Min Joon, Kim Min Jong.) I love them all, and I have no idea who is who! :D
JGS, that guy has my heart! He's only 20? I thought he was 21?
I'm really looking forward to his followup performance after Hwang Jini. But just briefly looking at Dramabeans, it seems a few people are noting that his performance so far doesn't seem that good. Like, he's self conscious about his age in this role. KJH is, of course, being excellent as ever, and apparently Sung Yu Ri is pretty good too. Ratings seem to be building; hopefully the show breaks 20 by the halfway point.
Here in Australia we get SFA regarding Korean entertainment.
Yeah, in Southern California, there's two Asian stations which respectively program KBS and MBC World during weekday (and most of weeknight) primetime. So, for example, 7-11pm every night is KBS World/LA, and you get all the evening sitcoms, daily dramas, trendies, and comedy/variety shows, with subtitles (except for the variety shows) and about a month behind the domestic schedule.

On Tuesdays, KBS runs a Entertainment Tonight-style show (plus subtitles) called "Entertainment Relay", which helps promote KBS dramas and movies as well as cover general entertainment news. I think it's about 2 weeks behind the domestic run, because they're still doing an year-in-review. For example, this week . . . (spoilered for brevity)
But this week, the entertainment reporter visited Alex of Classizquai's apartment, and Alex ended up cooking abalone sashima for her. Apparently, Alex worked as a chef and loves to cook (that's hot.) His fridge is loaded with soju and he has a cabinet of hangover cures. LOL His apartment is hipster and like freakishly immaculate, and he had magazines of his Men's Fitness spread laying around (lol what an ego!) His bedroom is pretty cool LOL

The show also ran a segment with Son Ye Jin (promoting her new movie with the lead of White Tower), where she and the reporter were walking out in public. I saw something like this happen between a reporter and Jang Dong Gun, and even though they deliberately cleared out the streets, women just magically appeared out of nowhere and started crying when JDG was strolling along. Anyway, SYJ caused a mass commotion of ajuhmmas (and teenagers and little kids -- apparently her fanbase is universal) who took her picture and were shocked at how beautifull she really is in real life (she looks SO much younger than her movies.) She talked about her commercial appeal, as well as managing her private life with her public image, and talking about the big salary she makes for her age. Later, SYJ and the reporter played pool (apparently, SYJ played a lot in high school) and SYJ was racking it up. It was really funny. It ended with her being solicited to sing off the cuff, and she was like "oh no . . ." But she ended up singing, I think, the love theme to Damo on the spot. LOL As a side note, if you get to hear SYJ do an interview, she's one of the most articulate actresses you'll ever hear in any language. Very intelligent.

Another highlight of the show is that, since this is an anniversary year for Entertainment Relay, they're showing old clips from the 80s and 90s. This program, they showed clips from 1995-96, and you got to see 20-something Bae Yong Joon and Lee Young Ae talk a bit, and then 20-something Lee Byung Hung and Kam Woo Sung talking to their camera in their military fatigues.

Hitokiri_Johndoesai

Post by Hitokiri_Johndoesai » Jan 18th, '08, 21:27

I watched the first two episodes and found it very interesting and funny. The sunglasses, this rap-hiphop-dance stuff and the disco music/lights/fog at the brothel was very interesting.

aka_91

Post by aka_91 » Jan 19th, '08, 02:19

i personaly find this drama quite refreshing from all those dramatic love story dramas... i think this drama is really intersiting and i love the fact that its different from all the current k-dramas that are currently airing >O<

any one seem episode 6 yet? i was wondering what..
does gil dong tell yi nok in the preview? and does the long haired guy start to like her??
sorry for my rambling :crazy: :D