Tajja / Tazza / War of Flowers (SBS, 2008)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
tourette

Tajja / Tazza / War of Flowers (SBS, 2008)

Post by tourette » Jul 12th, '08, 12:41

Tajja / Tazza / War of Flowers [SBS, 2008]
Broadcast period: 2008-Sep-08 to 2008-Nov

cast :
Jang Hyuk
Han Ye Seul
Kim Min Joon

synopsis (so far) :
the drama is about someone who is good at cheating in gambling.
based on the movie of the same title that aired in 2006 but announced with a different storyline.

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Tazza

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

ok, that's probably a bit soon to launch the topic but i was so excited when i read the info that i couldn't take it any longer. why ? mostly because of the cast! i, unfortunately, didn't see the apparently successful original movie but it seems that we can hope for a serious action/crime and... romance based drama.
i am unreasonably expecting something really great from that upcoming show that should depict Jang Hyuk (that i still have to see in this year's movie "Dance of the Dragon") as a revengeful gambler or so.

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Jul 29th, '08, 22:04

I am super super excited for this! How could I not be with one of this year's hottest casts? :w00t:

Take a look at the new promo pics if you don't believe me..

Credit: coolsmurf

I hope it'll be a hit, but people might be too busy watching East of Eden. Frankly, I prefer Tazza's eye candy.

arabian

Post by arabian » Jul 30th, '08, 08:08

I'm waiting to watch the drama.. it seems really exciting specially the cast Hopefully Jang Hyuk will do better than in Robbers..

Morphin

Post by Morphin » Jul 30th, '08, 10:28

Same :p
Hope a better development than in Robbers.

tourette

Post by tourette » Jul 30th, '08, 11:02

i actually liked him in Robber (whether his acting & character), as in everything i saw him previously (Than You, Please Teach Me English, Windstruck, Volcano High). i honestly cannot say he is a great actor but find him to be better than most of his generation.
i am more anxious about Han Ye-Seul which i loved in Fantasy Couple but find from average to weak in Gumiho & Miss Gold Digger (but there, i should rather curse the script).
anyways, it cannot move my high expectations for that show.

belleza

Post by belleza » Jul 30th, '08, 12:00

Even though Tazza is going up against MBC's big hope of 2008, East of Eden, I really think it's still an easier slot than having to compete with Beethoven Virus and Kingdom of the Winds in the Mon/Tues slot.

Or put it another way, it's very possible that East of Eden may not be a good show. And that after two weeks or so, which is the head start it has on Tazza, a lackluster buzz may allow Tazza to get a fair shot.

Casting Jang Hyuk as Go Ni will definitely work. He can do suave and silly, and he can do hungry and wolfish. Kim Min Joon will be solid as a competing character. I think Kim Gab Soo -- who seems to play either sageuk officials/royalty or gangsters -- will be playing a kind of mentor character or High Roller Godfather kind of guy. If so, it'll be a treat.

Asking Ye Seul to match Hye Soo is kinda like asking Jang Geun Seuk to play Jumong, but it looks like she's not playing the Madame. I hope the writers carefully fit the role for her rather than the other way around. Although I think she's the weak link in the casting (and I think potentially she can bring the show down a lot if she's especially bad here), this show ought to be a lot of fun.

maakopla

Post by maakopla » Aug 2nd, '08, 14:19

OOO! A gambling drama. So great. Now I am looking forward to this too.

Took a peak at the cats and looks promising. I haven't seen Han Ye Seul on screen yet but all others were familiar. Jang Hyuk yaaah. I love him since Thank You. Haven't seen Robber yet but I sure will smeday.

Angelique

Post by Angelique » Aug 25th, '08, 19:53

Oh... I hope this one get's subbed, I love han ye Seul since I saw Fantasy Couple.

Alphidius

Post by Alphidius » Aug 27th, '08, 04:06

Sorry to ask this here...
But was the 2006 movie this drama is based on any good?
Is it something like Count of Monte Cristo plot?
Thanks.

tourette

Post by tourette » Aug 27th, '08, 18:56

i finally managed to watch the movie and it is too damn good!
the funny part is that i was mainly excited by the project because of the cast but seeing the movie really raised my expectation on the script while lower my attraction for the cast... yeah... the original cast fits that well! so, i understand why they broadcasted everywhere about the story being different...
hopefully, that will not be the mess the jdorama based on My Sassy Girl was.
oh... and it is not a "Comte de Monte Cristo"-like. the movie, at least.

darkaz619

Post by darkaz619 » Sep 2nd, '08, 08:26

anybody know who will sub this drama?

Cyan Fox

Post by Cyan Fox » Sep 11th, '08, 05:32

KST will sub it:). Hope they will sub it as quick as they did with On Air and Iljimae :)

mcjayjay

Post by mcjayjay » Sep 17th, '08, 13:25

JANG HYUK!
KIM MIN JOO!
OHMYGODDDD!!!!
this is love.
actually i cant watch east of eden because of lee dal hee or wtv, i never liked any of the dramas she is in. but i love the two main lead actors :D

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Sep 17th, '08, 23:02

X on Tazza Ep 01 posted at JSA. Just wanna throw this out there:
Tazza is mediocre as in it's like trying to be everything the film was, but fails at pretty much everything. Music is crap, no tension, acting is so so (Lee Gi-Young, Kim Gab-Soo, Ahn Nae-Sang notwithstanding, but one of them is gone already), Jang Hyuk and Kim Min Joon's Busan saturi is so fricking pathetic (they.re.from.Busan.for.ferk.sake.) .................
Anyhow... just another concept drama only vaguely smelling of the original, but in truth a trendy drama carefully packaged not to smell of the same old ninny's diapers. Sowwy...... PASS. Why does Heo Young-man keep letting people rape his manhwas? Does he like money that much? Eeeeh.
:cry: Ahh well. My tastes have never really matched his anyway. If it's mediocre by X's standards, then I'll probably love it.

Anyone else watch it yet?? I'm dying to hear some good comments

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Sep 18th, '08, 14:32

haha, I share your sentiments. X is on an entirely different wavelength to an average viewer like myself, so there have been plenty of dramas where he had to replace his TV due to physical damage yet I have managed to enjoy. But then, there are also the ones where I totally agree with him....

Haven't seen the first episode yet but it managed a rating of 12.9%. That's higher than EoE's EP01, so it's just a matter whether it goes up or down depending on the reaction to the first episode.

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Sep 18th, '08, 18:17

But the music really sucks :roll

maakopla

Post by maakopla » Oct 19th, '08, 13:49

I just saw ep 1 and man am I excited. I liked it a lot. I was a bit scared I wouldn't like the drama that much because I loved the movie and yeah, at first I felt a bit bleh. But since the story advanced quite fast not stopping on unnecessary things I felt for it. The end of the episode was absolutely hilarious. The way they talked and acted was so funny xD I can tell that Tazza won't be much about love and I'm pretty satisfied with that. I am looking forward all the gambling scenes and all the action. They were running all the time just like in the movie. I cannot wait to see how cool can Goni be xD

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Oct 25th, '08, 00:34

Meh. First episode was alright. I wish kdramas would stop taking up airtime with their childhood trauma flashblacks, but at least this one only last one episode. I need my weekly Jang Hyuk fix so I'll probably continue for a few more episodes. I'm NOT looking forward to watching the three leads play high school kids speaking strange dialect in ep 2 though. Ratings increased quite a bit this week (think it can hit 20%?), so I assume it's getting better. But EoE is my top kdrama priority right now. <----- Never thought I would ever say that....

Episode 2 subs will be done by this Saturday. Nice, speedy release made by KST.

belleza

Post by belleza » Oct 25th, '08, 01:39

I'm mildly looking forward to Tazza. I'm going to wait until the 4th subtitle drops before watching it. I like KST's work too, when they don't feel pressured (see Iljimae) to churn out their work before it's really ready.

BTW, half of the fun of Tazza the movie is the Busan saturi. If you've ever been really drunk and done faux-Yakuza/Nagase Tomoya or done 'fookin aye' Manchesta in front of your friends, well Busan saturi is kinda like that. Okay, not really, but it's really fun.
Ratings increased quite a bit this week (think it can hit 20%?),
It seems unlikely now, since the World That They Live In is debuting in this timeslot. For Tazza to MAINTAIN 16+ ratings, the World That They Live In will likely land sub-10 numbers (Love and Marraige peaked at 6.6) One of these shows has to give. Tazza's 18 score may be an abberation, since KBS was airing a World That They Live In special.

Worth reiterating that Tazza has performed well considering its scheduling as the SBS sacrificial lamb. It wasn't just that it was scheduled opposite East of Eden, which met MBC hopes and climbed into the 20+ range by the time of Tazza's debut. Tazza's storyline and cast is of the same genre and age-group as East of Eden; as a result, it has to actively vy for the same audience as East of Eden's. KBS is probably hoping for a Women in the Sun counterprogramming coup with World That They Live In. Even so, either World will have terrible ratings or Tazza's numbers are going to die.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Oct 26th, '08, 14:27

Why do I get this feeling WW is not going to rate very well? Is it because of writer Noh Hee Kyung who's projects don't appeal to the mainstream audience? I just noticed that the WW special only rated 4.8% - Not very impressive considering this is supposed to be SHK's comeback to TV. I'm guessing the first episode will rate somewhere in the teens, maybe 17-18%. But I'm always wrong about these things so maybe (hopefully) it'll do 30%+

tourette

Post by tourette » Oct 27th, '08, 10:37

fizzlex3mh wrote:I'm NOT looking forward to watching the three leads play high school kids speaking strange dialect in ep 2 though..
wicked.
ep 2 was a huge disappointment because of all those powerfully dull characters.
i still have good expectations for the next episodes through, after they mature a bit.

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Oct 27th, '08, 10:39

kobe23 wrote:Why do I get this feeling WW is not going to rate very well? Is it because of writer Noh Hee Kyung who's projects don't appeal to the mainstream audience? I just noticed that the WW special only rated 4.8% - Not very impressive considering this is supposed to be SHK's comeback to TV. I'm guessing the first episode will rate somewhere in the teens, maybe 17-18%. But I'm always wrong about these things so maybe (hopefully) it'll do 30%+
17-18% would be a huge success but I don't think 30% will ever happen...I think it will be around 10%.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Oct 27th, '08, 16:06

Yeah you're quite right. 17-18% would be a huge success for the first episode. Even some really hyped up series like EoE started up in the low teens and is struggling to hit the 30% mark. Whatever happened to the days when even romantic comedies would average 40% and peak at 50? (Full House, Kim Sam Soon)

Xanthos

Tazza - War of Flowers

Post by Xanthos » Oct 8th, '09, 14:57

Tried going through a few pages but can't find a thread on this.

It's a fantastic kdrama but there is something I don't understand. And that's episode 1. They didn't mention anything about when did the first scene happen. What happened after he jumped into the sea. Did it happen after the series ended?

I'm confused.