Discuss Korean drama series here.
MoonRaven

Post by MoonRaven » Jul 14th, '11, 22:10

The Sailor Starlits !!! :D

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 14th, '11, 22:18

Too little sparkle, my dear. It has to be blinding in your face.
Like... Sailor Edward.. erhmm...

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Jul 15th, '11, 01:10

Orion1986 wrote:Well, some level of "idiocy" is to be expected from characters in gender bender dramas as they have to believe the person is of that sex and all, but it is a bit too obvious in YAB.
You have to realize... not everyone is very bright either. For example, look at Haruka Ayase. I never realized she was such an air head and such a *doh* until I saw her on smap.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jul 15th, '11, 08:31

I meant idiocy from the characters. As in, the rest of the characters in the series that can't see the gender bending person's real gender. I did not call Shin Hye an idiot. It takes a lot of "effort" on one's part for me to call them that.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Jul 15th, '11, 22:01

I'm not saying you're calling Shin Hye and idiot. I'm just saying there are idiots or air heads in this world. So some people not noticing isn't a surprise. You also have to realize there are pretty boys out there. Some guys look much prettier than girls. And some guys *ahem* sound like girls with their soft voices. There's some I can name. What does stand out is her shortness IMO but then, I suppose there are short guys in the world too. She/he just happens to sound girly, girly looking and short. These criteria wouldn't make her popular in the US at all. Um...minus Justin (He sounds like 80's teenybopper) . But Asians seem to over look all those if you're pretty looking. Ability to sing isn't top priority. Tallness and looks have affect though. Heck even skills are not the most important to become an idol.

Jazzapple

Post by Jazzapple » Jul 19th, '11, 18:32

This drama is pissing me off lately. :unsure:

Go Mi Nam is f*cking clueless and is acting like a heartless **** (but is apparently too stupid to realize).
Yeah, I get it, you like the guy with the fugly hair, but that's not a reason to hurt Shin Woo the whole friggin' time and to abandon him at every date for that... that... blegh, I can't put it in nice words. xD

And don't get me started about the guy with the fugly hair.
He just let my blood boil. :crazy:

I want to slap those two in the face.
Shin Woo I want to give some chocolate cookies and a nice cup of tea.
Poor, poor Shin Woo. :-(

And Jeremy... He also f*cked his hair up. Is it contagious? <.<

Oh well... Only 3 episodes to go. I'll cope with it. (':

Jazzapple

Post by Jazzapple » Jul 20th, '11, 21:58

Jazzapple wrote:This drama is pissing me off lately. :unsure:

Go Mi Nam is f*cking clueless and is acting like a heartless **** (but is apparently too stupid to realize).
Yeah, I get it, you like the guy with the fugly hair, but that's not a reason to hurt Shin Woo the whole friggin' time and to abandon him at every date for that... that... blegh, I can't put it in nice words. xD

And don't get me started about the guy with the fugly hair.
He just let my blood boil. :crazy:

I want to slap those two in the face.
Shin Woo I want to give some chocolate cookies and a nice cup of tea.
Poor, poor Shin Woo. :-(

And Jeremy... He also f*cked his hair up. Is it contagious? <.<

Oh well... Only 3 episodes to go. I'll cope with it. (':
Okay, after I accepted (finally!) that Mi Nam wasn't going to end up with Shin Woo, I thought that Mi Nam and Tae Kyung actually were a cute couple (Yeah yeah, I'm weird. I know).

I even got tears in my eyes watching the end, although I thought a kiss would've been better than a simple hug. :(

toenail

Post by toenail » Jul 23rd, '11, 03:31

This drama is not my cup of tea, but nevertheless I watched it quickly - and my eyes were quite glued to the screen (there are some dramas that I spent quite a lot of time pressing forward button..) despite asking myself many times why I kept watching it. Beautiful casts, lovely locations, and sweet teen love. This drama is like donuts and chocolate, and celebrity gossip. Sickly sweet pure entertainment. But yeah, just watch, no harm, in fact it's much better than other dramas in the same category of teens dreamy love.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Jul 23rd, '11, 18:06

About the gender bender, I find JSG's crazy style highly amusing LOL Peeps mention how you can't tell a guy from a girl? Well, if one doesn't know JGS, would you say he's a girly looking guy or a tall deep voiced girl? ^^; I just saw his pic on SMAP bistro and wow :lol He could really pass for a pretty girl.

AdyE

Post by AdyE » Jul 23rd, '11, 18:47

I really loved this kdrama it's one of my favs...LOVE JSG

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Jan 11th, '12, 16:45

I'm on episode 4 and like it so far, if it wasn't for the fact that Minam and Taekyung are the main characters and so obviously going to end up together I'd guess that Taekyung's mother, can't remember her name, was Minam's mother too that is what the clues seem to be indicating, but that can't be. Also I really don't know how they can't tell she's a girl I mean she's short, and as she's over the age of 12 or 13 her voice is way too high, also her chest bounces visibly and a mans chest only bounces if he's overweight which she clearly is not

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jan 11th, '12, 17:59

Its dramaland^^, They don't see bouncing boobs and and women in mans cloths^^. And it doesn't help, that Park Shin Hye pouts the whole time^^. But such genderbender-dramas have to live with such things. Out of all dramas of this genre in Korea, Taiwan and Japan I've watched so far(and i watched like almost every drama of this kind or at least all i could find, because so many aren't there), there were just two dramas, where i could (with a lot of goodwill) believe, that these girls in boys cloths could be male. One is the TW-version of Hana Kimi (Ella is kinda boyish) and Yellow Ribbon, also a TW-drama (but here you could believe, that the lead is male, but not an 25 y old male, but a 13-14y old boy). BTW you can also watch the japanese remake of YAB. There are some twist and a few thing further explained, than in the KOrean version, so it is worth to watch it, if you liked the Korean version.
And I know i have a ill mind (and i apologize) , but one question is, which comes in my mind, every time i watch such gender-bender-dramas. Well women have certain body functions, how do they mask it, if they live in the same room as males and are like 24/7 together with them. Especially in dramas, where the story plays a few hundred years ago, like in SKKS.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 11th, '12, 20:14

Why an ill mind? It's a normal thing.

OK, I'll try to answer. First of all - biological cycles don't exist in dramas.
Seriously though, we were wondering with friends about that too. There are few answers:
1. A girl can have very light and painless period, so she's not uncomfortable. There are girls like that.
2. A period can stop from stress even for few months. Yes, it happens. And hiding in "men infested" SKK could crearte such situation.
3. Usually gender-bender dramas cover a short time (3 months at best, I guess), so if a girl has fairly light period it is possible to hide it.
:salut:

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Jan 12th, '12, 04:44

poor Shin Woo

JoJoVitro

Post by JoJoVitro » Jan 17th, '12, 19:52

Your right about that!! I loved YAB so much that I watched Ikemen Desu Nu and loved it just as much. Sometimes its hard for me to switch from Korean to Japanese or any other, because i've watched Kdrama so much, that I kind of understand what they are saying, even without the subtitles, but it didn't even bother me this time!!

Silverman wrote:Its dramaland^^, They don't see bouncing boobs and and women in mans cloths^^. And it doesn't help, that Park Shin Hye pouts the whole time^^. But such genderbender-dramas have to live with such things. Out of all dramas of this genre in Korea, Taiwan and Japan I've watched so far(and i watched like almost every drama of this kind or at least all i could find, because so many aren't there), there were just two dramas, where i could (with a lot of goodwill) believe, that these girls in boys cloths could be male. One is the TW-version of Hana Kimi (Ella is kinda boyish) and Yellow Ribbon, also a TW-drama (but here you could believe, that the lead is male, but not an 25 y old male, but a 13-14y old boy). BTW you can also watch the japanese remake of YAB. There are some twist and a few thing further explained, than in the KOrean version, so it is worth to watch it, if you liked the Korean version.
And I know i have a ill mind (and i apologize) , but one question is, which comes in my mind, every time i watch such gender-bender-dramas. Well women have certain body functions, how do they mask it, if they live in the same room as males and are like 24/7 together with them. Especially in dramas, where the story plays a few hundred years ago, like in SKKS.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jan 18th, '12, 01:06

Well what about Queen Son Deok? she was playing a male and in the army and fighting in battles. Of course one of her army mates found her out but he didn't say anything as I remember.

nagpajh

Post by nagpajh » Oct 19th, '12, 00:25

thanks, i love shinwoo

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Oct 19th, '12, 01:23

I went to musical based on this drama. Seriously much more fun then drama itself.

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Jul 23rd, '13, 13:07

I just finished watching You're Beautiful with my mom and now I remember why I dropped it in the first place. Of the Hong sisters dramas I've watched all of, so discounting Big which I dropped after the second episode, it's by far the worst, Hong Gil Dong, My Girl, Best Love, and My Girlfriends' a Gumiho are all so much better. I'll never understand why so many people think it's the best Hong sisters drama.