Success Story of a Bright Girl (SBS, 2002)

Discuss Korean drama series here.

What would you rate Success Story of a Bright Girl?

Life-Altering
7%
See it
55%
Probably shouldn't miss it
13%
Probably shouldn't miss it
13%
Only if you have time
10%
STAY AWAY
2%

Total votes: 127

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Success Story of a Bright Girl (SBS, 2002)

Post by puccakiss79 » Oct 10th, '04, 04:07

Now that you know what I think, I'd like to know what you think :)

Put spoilers in quote boxes please

Put them in quote tags, between these two tags and their closing tags -----> {quote="Spoiler"}{color=white}{/color} {/quote} but replace {} w/ [ ] , whether you keep out the "Spoiler" part is up to you, just as long as we can't see it, and it doesn't blind us. Thanks
Spoiler wrote:Like this =)
Review

Scyth3r

Post by Scyth3r » Oct 10th, '04, 04:21

I'm thinking of MLP here...

/me is stupid

ignore.
Last edited by Scyth3r on Oct 11th, '04, 06:20, edited 1 time in total.

habukie
AiRen
AiRen

Post by habukie » Oct 10th, '04, 04:27

see it! i won't give it a higher rating, only because of the ending. the rest of the story is pretty strong and i was hooked from the beginning. yang soon's character is so admirable because she is cheerful and resilient even the face of tribulations, any one of which would have humbled a lesser person. the chemistry between yang soon and gi tae is very strong and it is fun to watch as they snipe at each other, even as they come to feel for one another. as pucca mentioned, jang hyuk's "love song" is great! one of my favorite kdrama songs.

read on for spoilers in my likes/dislikes list:
spoiler wrote:LIKES:
yang soon: she is a great character. she does not despair even though she has to leave her small village to work as a maid in seoul. she even tries to keep up with her schooling.
gi tae: jang hyuk does a good job of portraying a self-indulgent, arrogant man who really has a good heart underneath it all. i loved that he could be distant one minute but then show how he still was a little boy at heart. the scene with him putting his mother's ring into that box was very memorable.
the dragon: ok, i'm not even sure it is a dragon. i'm talking about that microphone thing that gi tae uses to leave messages for yang soon. i think i saw it in My Love Patzzi also. it's really cute! i want one even though i don't know how i'd use it. :)
DISLIKES:
reversal of fortune: i didn't like how the middle dragged on for an interminable amount of time after gi tae lost it all. i definitely think it could have been shorter.
the ending: what can i say? i think this is the strangest kdrama ending i've seen. yang soon wants to become a volunteer soldier?!?! wth? and then they send her off to africa just so you can see how dedicated gi tae is, because he will follow her to be with her. i think it actually makes him look bad, because he will be leaving his company behind to follow her there.

SkinnyHeejin

Post by SkinnyHeejin » Oct 10th, '04, 04:32

I really wanted their relationship to go stronger you know...There was SO many scenes where I thought something was going to happened, you know, something romantic.. But no, they focused on the company thing and it was getting boring after a while...

BUT, Jang Nara's acting is so strong and cute that you cannot not like her! :wub:

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by iceberri » Oct 10th, '04, 13:23

See it. ^______^

I rather liked the first half of this series when Yang-soon and Gi-tae bicker like the adults they are. /end sarcasm And even so, after the story took a turn towards focusing on inspiration and emphasizing hard work, I still liked it. The only thing I hated about this drama was the ending! It has one of those bizarre where-the-hell-did-this-come-from endings that I typically can't stand. IMO, it ruined the entire drama. ~____~

btw, nice to see you here skinnyheejin. :mrgreen:

amicus

Post by amicus » Oct 11th, '04, 16:23

ya the ending sucked. everything else was good.

dreni

Post by dreni » Oct 14th, '04, 06:10

I like this comedy just cuz Jang Nara cracks me up.
I'd watch it again if i have time.

flip_flop_lollipop

Post by flip_flop_lollipop » Oct 14th, '04, 06:26

i've watched it twice alr :D i love jang nara and jang hyuk's onscreen chemistry... there's hardly any kdrama i've watched with such wonderful onscreen chemistry between the lead actor/actress... you'll almost think it's a pity they're not a couple in real life. yeah... but i have to agree... the ending left me rather unsatisfied :|

Slackey

Post by Slackey » Oct 14th, '04, 06:31

I didn't think I would like it after the first two or so episodes because it seemed like a lot of yelling. I stuck with it though and rather enjoyed it....until that ending. Wow, that just came out of left field didn't it?

VERDICT: Probably shouldn't miss it

neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by neonkinpatsu » Oct 14th, '04, 06:45

iceberri wrote:The only thing I hated about this drama was the ending! It has one of those bizarre where-the-hell-did-this-come-from endings that I typically can't stand. IMO, it ruined the entire drama. ~____~
That's pretty much my standpoint. Besides my not liking Jang Na-ra too much (she looks like she's 12, so it's kinda odd to see her w/ Jang Hyuk), it dragged a bit at some point. But a lot of dramas do, especially some kdramas I've seen. I forget, it's been a while since I've seen it. But yes, the ending is AWFUL. Just totally out of the blue....and dumb. I so watched it daily until I finished it. The show set us up for an ending like that?? Damn. I voted "probably shouldn't miss it".

Slackey

Post by Slackey » Oct 14th, '04, 08:46

Wow, that ending really killed it for everyone didn't it? It seemed liked almost everyone here would have loved this series if it wasnt for the ending.

meowling

Post by meowling » Oct 19th, '04, 01:24

I've only seen the first two episodes or so, but I'm loving what I've seen so far. Gi Tae (if that's his name?) has a really funny character...he's like a spoilt little child. Even if he's evil, you still love him for it. Unfortunately, the ending does not bode well...so I'm a bit apprehensive. Damn my insatiable curiosity which leads me to read spoilers.

xkanamex

Post by xkanamex » Oct 20th, '04, 21:53

I watched the first episode last night. I mainly decided to watch it because Jang Nara is in it and I really liked her in My Love Patzzi. The first episode wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be, I guess I had really high expectations, but it still made me lol a lot of times. I'm gonna keep downloading it, hopefully it will get better, even though everyone says they don't like the ending XD

dia

Post by dia » Oct 21st, '04, 04:17

Ummm, I wasn't all that crazy about it. That was surprising because I thought the first episode was pretty funny. But then came the 2nd, the 3rd... and things that had showed promise just fizzled out.

The parents' hijinks became annoying real fast for this viewer...lol What began as sort of bumbling and inept became (and remained) hijinks that were too callous to be comical. By this duo's 3rd antic I was shaking my head, mumbling 'These idiots are just too stupid'...lol

And for me the hero and heroine never quite connected in situation or chemistry. I feel this was due more to direction and story line than the actors. As both the direction and the writing often felt as inept and bumbling as the parents' hijinks. I repeatedly felt as if both (writing and direction) was either rushing me to a connection between the main couple or rushing me away. By the fifth episode I was going, 'Huh? Did I miss something?'. But I think it was more that the writer and the director kept missing opportunities to really connect the main couple in some meaningful way pass a few seconds. And as a consequence, I never quite felt connected enough to the couple.

By contrast, the writer and director did a pretty good job connecting me to the corporate side of the story. Without rushing to or rushing pass, they gave me a real feel for the what and why of the antagonists. In truth I was more interested in that aspect of the story than the romance, though, the romance between the main couple was where I wanted my focus to be.

In any case, it wasn't bad, especially the music (something about it made it linger in my head), but overall I found it sort of flat, boring and rather annoying. I mean come on, just how dense were these people?...lol She pleads with Granny not to come until she can arrange a descent visit and what does Granny do? She behaves as if the poor girl hadn't spoken at all. And honestly, just how many times could Bright Girl be so utterly and hopelessly obtuse to her Prince's intentions? At some tiny point, wouldn't it briefly enter anyone's mind the Prince might actually be interested in her. Duhhhh...lol

:D :D :D :D

meowling

Post by meowling » Oct 21st, '04, 19:58

Hrm, I kind of agree with you about her parents. They kind of got annoying after a while <_< But besides that, I really love the series.

Kai Lien
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Kai Lien » Oct 25th, '04, 01:02

I voted for "see it''. It's one of my favorite korean dramas! It's cute, funny, sad, and entertaining for everyone! :P I'd probably would vote for 'life altering' if it weren't for the horrible ending. Man, I remember when I first saw it, I almost had a heart attack. The scriptwriter must've been out of his mind. But if you really think about it, it wasn't all that bad. My dad thought it fit her personality. :blink

The whole series was really entertaining to watch and Jang Nara and Jang Hyuk had sparking chemistry that really made this series outstanding. I remember I started to go crazy for this series when Gi Tae took Yang Soon's hand at evil girl's house after her grandma got into an accident. I think Jem's cut was good because that scene (end of ep 3, I believe) let me gather my thoughts together and I just wanted Gi tae and Yang soon together stat! Besides the ending, I also didn't like her annoying parents. They needed less airtime. The only other thing that I was sad about was the fact that I really wanted to see Yang soon and Gi tae's relationship grow more throughout the series, but it never really happened. At least
they had that cute little date towards the end of the series and they kinda got married at the end of the show.

jennxxness

Post by jennxxness » Oct 28th, '04, 01:52

Spoiler alert:
umm. I didn't like... the guy. I don't quite remember the drama cause I watched it along time ago, but i don't mind forgetting about it (in other words, I really probably didn't like it)

koobie

Post by koobie » Oct 28th, '04, 21:10

i think it was an ok drama, it wasn't the best i've seen
but since a lot a people like it, i guess you probably shouldn't miss it

thatcong

Post by thatcong » Oct 30th, '04, 18:35

This one is a "see it".

koolbr33z3

Post by koolbr33z3 » Oct 31st, '04, 18:29

i think this is definitely a "see it" romantic comedy. actually, this was the first series that i watched and it got me hooked on kdramas. i like the story and the lead characters are hilarious. the ending? well, there are no words to describe that crazy ending. i will admit i was shocked :blink and found it quite funny. :nuts:

flip_flop_lollipop

Post by flip_flop_lollipop » Nov 1st, '04, 00:54

koolbr33z3 wrote:i think this is definitely a "see it" romantic comedy. actually, this was the first series that i watched and it got me hooked on kdramas. i like the story and the lead characters are hilarious. the ending? well, there are no words to describe that crazy ending. i will admit i was shocked :blink and found it quite funny. :nuts:
hey, hi-5 koolbr33z3!! this was also the show that got me hooked on kdramas!! :lol

koolbr33z3

Post by koolbr33z3 » Nov 3rd, '04, 14:18

flip_flop_lollipop wrote:hey, hi-5 koolbr33z3!! this was also the show that got me hooked on kdramas!! :lol
Hi flip_flop_lollipop, hi-5 to you too. Sorry for being off topic. :mrgreen:

Back on topic, this is definitely a good kdrama though. The story is nice and the lead characters are great. They have good chemistry together. Some of the supporting characters are not so great. Her parents tend to be a bit annoying, and they are so selfish!! Anyway, it's an overall well-rounded series and I recommend this to everyone.

trana87

Post by trana87 » Nov 5th, '04, 15:48

This was my first k-drama! i wasn't too sure if i wanted to watch it because it seemed so long compared to j-dramas that i saw, but after i got past the weird beginning, it was great! (except for the super odd ending...) oh well, it's all good. I think my favorite part about it was that it Yoon Tae Young!!!!! i love his smile *sigh* :wub:

neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by neonkinpatsu » Nov 5th, '04, 16:06

trana87 wrote:I think my favorite part about it was that it Yoon Tae Young!!!!! i love his smile *sigh* :wub:
Yeah dude, I agree :mrgreen: I don't know much about him....but I was swooning :wub: I saw part of Pearl Necklace with him in it and he was speaking some English! I mean, minimal accent but fully coherent English....I was owned :wub: :lol I also heard he's in On The Prairie, and played a very small role as a crazy guest in Hotelier (which I didn't notice, will have to watch again and see if I see him because back when I saw Hotelier I never knew who he was).

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by iceberri » Nov 5th, '04, 17:51

neonkinpatsu wrote:I also heard he's in On The Prairie, and played a very small role as a crazy guest in Hotelier (which I didn't notice, will have to watch again and see if I see him because back when I saw Hotelier I never knew who he was).
He played the obsessed guy who got dumped by his girlfriend that looked a lot of Song Hye Gyo. He threatened to jump off the building with her if they (hotel people) didn't bring his old girlfriend back to him. I preferred his role in Bright Girl.. such a cutie. :P :roll

pankanshe

Post by pankanshe » Nov 22nd, '04, 08:47

Anything with Jang Nara in it is worth watching. :D

Tekuza

Post by Tekuza » Nov 30th, '04, 15:19

i'm just watching the dvd box set now so can't submit vote but so far great series

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Dec 8th, '04, 02:23

Hmm.... This one brings back memories. One of the first dramas I watched, and the first with Jang Nara. After watching My Love Patzzi and her movie (forgot the name), I'd say that this is her best acting job. The contrast between her on-screen and singing personas is very interesting.

Let's see. When I first watched this one, it was refreshing to see a drama that didn't have someone's death hanging over the whole thing or what-not. The light-hearted tone was appreciated after the heavy drama of Winter Sonata, Hotelier, and the like.
Don't expect a whole lot of innovation here, but do expect it to be just what it advertises: a well-acted, light-hearted comedy/romance. Rich, spoiled guy is expected to marry rich spoiled pretty girl, meets and clashes with poor but driven girl. Hates her, spends time around her, falls in love with her, and they strive to be successful in life and love.
It's a good little feel-good drama.

wantse094

Post by wantse094 » Dec 8th, '04, 11:51

Well overall I would say that the series was ok... it didn't do well for me because some parts were a bit draggy and hence became boring... and the story didn't really develop much... and yeah I didn't really like the ending either... strange... :blink

mznatalia

Post by mznatalia » Dec 11th, '04, 19:16

Can anyone tell me the name of the actor who played Zhao Yin-can? I've looked and can't find his name anywhere. :-) I would like to see some more shows with him in it if possible

I_Nee

Post by I_Nee » Dec 12th, '04, 04:44

Just finish watching this whole serie and being a fan of both the main actor and actress I have to say its a good serie w/ its comedic and sad dramatic moments ahehe....I wish they couple in another serie together!

taeseon012

Post by taeseon012 » Dec 12th, '04, 06:46

It's one of my favorite of all time... SEE IT!!!! It's cute and funny and.... Well it's Jang Nara... anything with nare unnie in it is good, at least for me ^^...

taeseon012

Post by taeseon012 » Dec 12th, '04, 07:34

mznatalia wrote:Can anyone tell me the name of the actor who played Zhao Yin-can? I've looked and can't find his name anywhere. :-) I would like to see some more shows with him in it if possible
I tried looking it up for you, but I can't find anything... but I think he's the jerk in Sex is Zero. He looks a lot like him, but I'm not sure. Other than that movie, I haven't seen him in anything else... I'll update if I find out his name

mznatalia

Post by mznatalia » Dec 13th, '04, 01:14

Thank You so much Taeseon :D

kelly...BiG

Post by kelly...BiG » Jan 20th, '05, 17:13

:-) IT WAS SO SO GUD....I LOVE EVATHING!

aznfudd

Life Altering

Post by aznfudd » Jan 29th, '05, 09:47

I voted Life Altering cuz after watching this Korean drama, i was hooked indefinetly.
Since then, i've watched several kdramas such as Attic Cat, My Love Patzzi, Full House, Sweet18, and not to mention countless # of movies. I'll always remember Bright Girl as my first :w00t:

ceppy

Post by ceppy » Jan 29th, '05, 12:55

great drama...funny!

athida

Thumb up!

Post by athida » Feb 1st, '05, 20:25

One of the best kdramas I have watched! So GOOD that I kept re-watching it over and over... I LOVE both the actor and the actress and the chemistry they had. :thumleft: Since I've watched it, I have been crazy about Jang Hyuk!! :wub:

darklady

Post by darklady » May 9th, '06, 14:14

Seen I seen this series, I have been in :wub: with Jang Hyuk, but not much to find about him. Does he not have much fans? Would love to hear more of him. Love Jang Nara too, she is goon in MLP, Diao Man Gong Zhu as well

bjharm

Post by bjharm » Jul 22nd, '07, 13:33

Jang Nara success story it should be called. Really brought her to stardom.
She still my fav korean singer actress
Well worth watching

rlia

Post by rlia » Sep 7th, '07, 07:21

love this drama...i can feel the chemistry berween jang hyuk and jang nara in this drama...though it is quite old...it is still worth watching...

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Mar 2nd, '12, 19:01

I can see that Hyun Bin and the writers of secret garden took some strong influence from jang Hyuk and his character for his role as Joo Won in Secret Garden but yea 6 episodes in and loving it I like Jang Na Ra but she's kind of disappeared hasn't she and of course Jang Huyk is great as always, doesn't quite have the intensity of his more recent performances, but it doesn't really call for that anyway

bjharm

Post by bjharm » Mar 3rd, '12, 05:05

Sajen16 wrote:I can see that Hyun Bin and the writers of secret garden took some strong influence from jang Hyuk and his character for his role as Joo Won in Secret Garden but yea 6 episodes in and loving it I like Jang Na Ra but she's kind of disappeared hasn't she and of course Jang Huyk is great as always, doesn't quite have the intensity of his more recent performances, but it doesn't really call for that anyway
I always have to smile when people say Jang Nara disappeared or something, when she only been active in China, it not as if she went to another planet! She went to China to pretty much stay in 2004, but had already done a TV drama before then. Her goal, to conquer all of greater Asia. And she done a pretty good job of it, she may not be the hot number one non Chinese star in China but she is very much the best known one and not just in the capital or Shanghai but all over China, something very rare for even Chinese entertainers.
She still returns to Korea, though she has all the work and then some she could handle in China, But home is home I guess. Like her Baby faced Beauty and lately she released a new music single out for march in Korea. It seems those Koreans who go work in Japan seem to get all the new coverage and Korea trys still to pretend big brother China not there! but the chinese market is almost endless and growing all the time.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Mar 3rd, '12, 10:41

Yea Jang Na Ra is still alive and kicking. First of all in Korea her drama baby faced beauty, then she has done a few chinese dramas(which are just good, i'm still looking for the torrent of her last chinese drama...can't find it :cry: And if you look at the OSTs of some korean dramas, then you find her also there.
And Jang Hyuk now is >>>> better than 10 years ago.

bjharm

Post by bjharm » Mar 4th, '12, 05:30

Silverman wrote:Yea Jang Na Ra is still alive and kicking. First of all in Korea her drama baby faced beauty, then she has done a few chinese dramas(which are just good, i'm still looking for the torrent of her last chinese drama...can't find it :cry: And if you look at the OSTs of some korean dramas, then you find her also there.
And Jang Hyuk now is >>>> better than 10 years ago.
She done six chinese dramas, her last was 'Racecourse' with her father, plus she just finished a Film 'Flying with Me ' and her new chinese album, from that she released two single, one for valentines day that getting a lot a good attention. But I am guessing you after her Unruly Qiao? as Racecourse is as far as i know yet to be shown. You can find it over at vikki http://www.viki.com/channels/3279-royal ... iao/videos eng subbed and if you look you can easily find the small RM format files on chinese web sites for the raw version, I just found a huge 55 gig torrents with very HQ videos myself and on to week two of downloading it!
Dong Yi is one of the Korean TV drama she did the OST for and of course BFB.
Jang Hyuk really taken off since he came back for doing his army time, one of those that seemed to have benefitted from being away from the screen. He even been over to China to make a TV series a remake of a korean drama, can not remember it name right now.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Mar 4th, '12, 10:38

Thank you so much^^. Thats the one i was looking for. Ok obviously the reason i couldn't find it, was that i searched for it under it's chinese name.

bjharm

Post by bjharm » Mar 5th, '12, 05:11

Silverman wrote:Thank you so much^^. Thats the one i was looking for. Ok obviously the reason i couldn't find it, was that i searched for it under it's chinese name.
enjoy the show it been called a spin off from Bratty Princess but the story and character, once you get past the girl/boy and emporer bit, is nothing in common with BP. I found it both more dark and more slap stick, an odd combination. It was not a huge as BP [BP was the second highest rated show in China] but was still very well received in China, and is still being shown or reshown in China, something that could go on for years as it sold to different regions.
I been getting third-party warnings from youtube so best get to watching it on Vikki as I can not say when and if the warning well be upgraded and forced to be removed..:-(

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Mar 5th, '12, 17:18

- is the ending really as whacked out as I've read I'm trying to avoid spoilers though so keep that in mind

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Mar 5th, '12, 22:34

Sajen16 wrote:- is the ending really as whacked out as I've read I'm trying to avoid spoilers though so keep that in mind
Which drama? Bright Girl or the chinese one?

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Mar 6th, '12, 00:59

Bright Girl

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Mar 6th, '12, 02:46

It is a romcom ending...it is not more whacked out than other dramas of this genre. But i have to admit, that (i'm trying to describe it as spoilerfree as possible) the epilogue and what leads to this epilogue is a little bit...yea...i don't know..forced? and it throws questions like ...wtf...why in the room.
And here is the thing and you can read it if you want, since this ending doesn't really have anything to do with the mainstory (but its still a spoiler, so don't read if you really want to be surprised) :
The FEMALE lead decides to go to the voluntary army for at least 3 years...She decides this...just because...its her dream...it's kinda like if Ha Ji Wons character in SG decides to become a singer...just because or YEH's character in Coffee Prince wants to become a hairdresser...
But overall a fun drama and for the fans of this drama watch also the TW-version(Sunshine Angel) with Rainie Yang :wub: and Wu Chun.

bjharm

Post by bjharm » Mar 6th, '12, 07:04

Silverman wrote:It is a romcom ending...it is not more whacked out than other dramas of this genre. But i have to admit, that (i'm trying to describe it as spoilerfree as possible) the epilogue and what leads to this epilogue is a little bit...yea...i don't know..forced? and it throws questions like ...wtf...why in the room.
And here is the thing and you can read it if you want, since this ending doesn't really have anything to do with the mainstory (but its still a spoiler, so don't read if you really want to be surprised) :
The FEMALE lead decides to go to the voluntary army for at least 3 years...She decides this...just because...its her dream...it's kinda like if Ha Ji Wons character in SG decides to become a singer...just because or YEH's character in Coffee Prince wants to become a hairdresser...
But overall a fun drama and for the fans of this drama watch also the TW-version(Sunshine Angel) with Rainie Yang :wub: and Wu Chun.
I never though the ending of bright girl all that odd after all
her dream didnt come out of the blue it is linked to the dream scene episode one. She never wanted a prince to come save her, rather she always wanted a prince SHE could save so the army bit was her saving the country plus you should keep in mind that she was very young so it fair she gets to live out her dream before getting married, taking in the age gap between them :-)
I could not get into Sunshine Angel at all, they used the same sence often to a word but totally change the characters of the two lead, so it was just off. The girl was older and came across as dumber the male was simply to cool and too good at his job and lacked the violent childishness needed to make many of the early scene work he just came across as the normal cold rich jerk blah blah.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Mar 6th, '12, 11:53

I watched the TW-version first, so my impression was different, since i had no prior knowledge. Just after i watched this, i found out, that its a remake. + i love Rainie-Ahjuma.
Yes she wanted to save her prince, but i don't think, that it is necessarily linked to army. And she achieved it to save the prince before the whole army-thing. It's not so ooc that she joins the army, since she has a strong personality, but in drama for itself, it's a little bit out of the blue. It would be one thing if she became an designer, since it was established in the earlier episodes, that she is "gifted". but the whole army thing came in the last 2 episodes. but it's just my opinion, so there is no need to elaborate^^.