K-Drama kisses

Discuss Korean drama series here.
Time Pink

Post by Time Pink » Jan 4th, '11, 19:48

In the matter of kisses, although, imo, the best kiss is the one in episode 23 of Goong, the most passionate and romantic kisses I've ever seen in a drama are in The Return of Iljimae (2009). My heart almost melted everytime they kissed, specially the first one of Iljimae with Wol Hee. Those are my favorite ever!
Last edited by Time Pink on Jan 4th, '11, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.

Myxale

Post by Myxale » Jan 4th, '11, 19:50

I don't mind the way they kiss in K-Dramas.
Has kinda a sweet charm to it, just the way it used to be in old Hollywood flick, before Britney Spears and Timberlake were the Norm for acting!.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 4th, '11, 20:01

Well, I don't mind it as well, but sometimes I need to see something like Goong Ep 23 kiss. Aww...

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jan 4th, '11, 20:45

Hollywood films? I just have never watched Brittany Spears or J. Timberlake. They are not of any interest to me. However you have to delve way back into the films of the late thirties and the forties to see how Hollywood dealt with love scenes. No holds barred...kisses were kisses even tho the fight was on for the camera angles.

As for korean dramas, you have to take a look at Gong Yu in 'S.Diary' I swear he could never allow any leading lady to keep her lips zipped. He enjoys kissing and it is obvious. He has the right kind of charm anyway.

Right now recently, you should watch some of the scenes betweenJung Jin and his assistant. They are both detectives trying to solve the general mystery in the Rain drama 'Plan B'. She loves him from the word go. He is oblivious but the penny drops eventually. I must say his kisses when she has him in handcuffs are enough to burn the bedclothes. Of course they are cuffed to one another so he can't run away this time.
Jung Jin had me wondering where he learned how to do that. I mean considering he lives home with his Mom and considering all Koreans are supposed to be virginal until married. ..... Riiiight..... Soft spot for J.J in my heart. He is good to look at and he can run fast but he takes it slowly with the kissing routine.......Very satisfactory.

Myxale

Post by Myxale » Jan 4th, '11, 21:39

I like to believe that TV/Movies reflect the society they are made in.

Take the Fem-Boys in Asian entertainment, or the Big and Bald US Action Movie Hunks!
Or the Pecks in Korean TV and compare them to the tongue down your throat in Western style.

Sex and the City would be AO-rated in Korea.

What i want to say; there are more factors than the Moms or Actors being overly virginal about snogging!

Maybe maintaining a certain illusion or flair of innocence in public (TV). Face is everything-

Everyone who lived past this fifth grade School, knows how virginal people are...not.

Of course, even in K-Dramas there are some rebel snoggers! ;)
And those quench our thirst for better snogging. We Westerners are used to the more graphical kind of kiss, hence the Pseudo Peck ( that passes as kissing in most K-Dramas) makes us feel cheated in one way, in most Dramas.

lol.. :w00t:

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Jan 4th, '11, 22:05

Since I am quite young, I may not be the best expert or something but, even though being a male and not the romantic-kinda guy, I prefer kdrama kissing way not the Western or American. Kiss, imho, is underrated in most of the world. But they do make too big of a deal about a kiss in Korea. At least in dramas they scream about first kiss and so on. I can't even remember mine, or person I had it with(I am not player or something, as far as I remember, I kissed quite a lot that day), because it had no real meaning to it.

And probably that's one of the things that I like about Korea - they are quite, as you said, virginal. Even though I am quite perverted myself but maybe that's why I like it.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jan 4th, '11, 22:13

I wonder if they make films according to the society or does society follow what is pushed before them ?
I don't watch US films and don't watch the daytime 'soap operas' on TV. Very little left to imagination or intelligence or even sensibilities of the audience. Boring Boring.

I do like Kdramas generally and Japanese and some of the Chinese ones. However since this thread is about Kdrama kissing I will just say that there is a growing wave of naturalbehaviour appearing in kdramas.
I just hope they do not mimic what has happened in Western TV . I do know that many years ago it was quite reserved here in US. I was taken aback when visiting in UK to watch full frontal nudity in a Shakespeare play. This was probably thirty years ago.It really was not enjoyable and at the time I thought took away all the value of the dialogue. I would hope not to see this in any Korean dramas. The human body is not necessarily the most attractive thing in action.A little modesty is more intriguing.
Love scenes do not have to be so intense that they stop the progression of the story but it is enjoyable to see actors you like showing that they are real live people and not robots.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jan 5th, '11, 09:50

Personally, I want realism and immersion. A kiss has to feel natural for the occasion, place and people involved.

A genuinely innocent young girl grabbing and tongue-kissing the guy during her FIRST kiss would be weird, yes.
Just as it's weird to see such peck-kisses during passionate moments between adults, or anyone above 12.

If a kiss is unrealistic or out of character, it breaks the immersion and lets you realize it's a show. A no no in proper storytelling.
And with the amount of passion, angst and yearn they show in kdrama, you expect a real passionate kiss. And you don't get it.

Either be a real prude and only imply kissing, which is lame cause kissing is the first real thing to point to a romantic relationship,
or if you chose to do it cause you know the story needs it and the audience will like it, please don't do it in such a half-assed way.

Sex scenes are different. Sex comes (in a romantic context) after the couple has been established. It's something personal for them.
Therefore, you can just show it, if you want to, in a modest way. Ala Coffee Prince. Nothing indecent about that scene. It was nice.
Sex is something that happens (again, in a romantic context) after the couple is formed and the "first kiss" and all has been given.
So showing it, or showing it in a very graphic way, does not add anything to the story. We know they're a couple. No need to see it.

A kiss, however, is that confirmation and final stamp to the "we're a couple" file and needs to be shown and should be convincing.
Just as a spaceship passing by would be out of place and break the immersion in some english period movie (unless it's Dr.Who),
a weird kiss that no adult in any modern country would ever give (unless under 12 or up to 15 and prude as hell), does exactly the same.

I don't need to see a couple graphically humping like rabbits or tongue-kissing in the middle of a full elementary school classroom
cause the one is unnecessary to show and the other wouldn't happen if the people have some decency. Those would be just as bad.
But in any movie/series involving romance, a proper, real, normal kiss is a minimum requirement. Establishes and affirms the couple.

You are watching a story that has sucked you in, you support the couple, you're at the peak of romantic ecstasy and then a peck...
How is it in any way realistic or romantic to kiss someone as if your grandma is watching or as if they have lip herpes or something?

As for the trend changing, I'm not so sure. I thought it was, as we have some good kissing lately, but I realized, we had em before.
I'm watching "Magic" (again) and there's some pretty nice attempts there. Even a full open mouth one. And it's a 2004 series btw.
For some reason though, both the non-honest kisses are hot and the one with feelings is a peck. Granted though, it was in public.
And there was another one, but it was drunk and forced. Still convincing though. Lips touching. Kind of the definition of a kiss.
I just got the feeling that only "evil" kisses are allowed to be hot and any romantic ones should be "respectful" to the lady. Wtf? :rofl:
So yeah, I'd wait a while before assuming things will change just because a few series have tried to be realistic and modern.
Some try, from time to time, but it hasn't changed things so far, so unless they ALL try harder, nothing is going to be different.

Excuse the huge post, but this is an issue that disappoints and annoys me quite a bit. It's a shame to see a decent rom-com fail at that.

P.S: The hot kissing in "Magic" was given by the guy on my avy and sigi. And Issy's. Another reason to like the guy. Go get em, tiger! :rofl:

aility

Post by aility » Jan 5th, '11, 12:24

I just wish they would stop doing the spinning around filming the "kissing" couple. Am we supposed to get dizzy from watching?

some 5-10 years ago, in chinese historical dramas, the closest you got to passion between couples was hugging, and I found that just perfect! then suddenly, they started to kiss, and I mean, the REALLY REALLY BAD kissing where he put his lips on her chin and not her lips. That was really disturbing for me to see, because it felt really out of place. But for more modern dramas, I feel that kissing is more suitable to express your emotions, just like Orion is saying. Although, I feel the more prude and "pure" approach to Romance is also quite nice, although only in Asian dramas.

aility

Post by aility » Jan 5th, '11, 12:28

I just wish they would stop doing the spinning around filming the "kissing" couple. Am we supposed to get dizzy from watching?

some 5-10 years ago, in chinese historical dramas, the closest you got to passion between couples was hugging, and I found that just perfect! then suddenly, they started to kiss, and I mean, the REALLY REALLY BAD kissing where he put his lips on her chin and not her lips. That was really disturbing for me to see, because it felt really out of place. But for more modern dramas, I feel that kissing is more suitable to express your emotions, just like Orion is saying. Although, I feel the more prude and "pure" approach to Romance is also quite nice, although only in Asian dramas.

alexya

Post by alexya » Jan 5th, '11, 12:44

For kdrama kisses i have quit a few favorites:D :
1 lovers
2 hong gil dong
3 exhibition of fireworks
4 capital scandal
5 my lovely sam-soon
6 within worlds
7 you're beautiful
8 mary me, marry!
9 winter sonata
And more but i can't quit remember all now......but they all are very sweet and firs-love like, which is very refreshing and lovely, not those dirty-perverted like kisses that show in american movies, which lead immediately to sex....it is quit tireing seeing that in a movie that started with an innocent note....i don't like that kind of story in a drama, i'm very pleased with the innocent manner that the kdramas are made....
And th-tha-that-that's all folks!!!!!::D

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Jan 6th, '11, 23:31

The first time I saw a kiss in a kdrama I found it AWFULL but now Im used to it , yeah a kiss has to be realistic , american , asian or whatever the important thing is that it s full of emotion ...
Anyway I don't remember all the kisses but that one in coffee prince was hot , definitely!
I can add personal taste, prosecutor princess, marry me , secret garden ( everlasting ?),shining inheritance...thats it?!!!!! euh cant remember :'(
I ve wanted to see a kiiss in partner, I wanted to see lee dong wook kissing or been kissed but unfortunately I wasnt that lucky...so I ve started bittersweet life and yeah Im happy -its full of kisses mamamia -even if it s a story about adultery ..don't care :D
Last edited by Sham26 on Jan 7th, '11, 03:42, edited 2 times in total.

misuzana

Post by misuzana » Jan 7th, '11, 00:03

I don't mind it at all :whistling:
but just make it look a more natural is all :P

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jan 7th, '11, 01:08

There is more than adultery in 'Bittersweet Life' I truly enjoyed this drama and it was a deep dark story and indeed it was bittersweet. The actors were very good because the casting was well done. Lee Dong Wook surprised me with his talent in this drama. I had never imagined he could play such a complicated and deep role. What a twisted life he led. I also admired the older married couple. They had such a strange marriage and yet it was one never to be broken. I wondered why that was. This drama gave the audience plenty to think about and it was beautifully staged especiallythe snow scenes up in th North country.
I shall look forward to you posting about this when you have seen it all.

aility

Post by aility » Jan 7th, '11, 08:04

@Peggy, Lee Dong Wook is nice and talented! I had only seen him in My Girl, and was positively surprised when I saw him again in a movie. Didnt know that there were more to him than just his looks :P

And of course, he is in the army, like all other fine men...

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jan 7th, '11, 08:18

Ah..aility, :-)

Lee Dong Wook is one of my favourite Korean Hunks.... I liked him in 'The Lawyers. He was very dramatic but still showed a great funny side. Nice drama.

alecey

Post by alecey » Jan 9th, '11, 16:23

Dalheah wrote:The City Hall
My Lovely Kim Sam Soon
Coffee Prince
Goong
I totally agree.

I also like the kiss in Vineyard Man very passionate.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 9th, '11, 16:25

Someone earlier mentioned Lovers. Yes, that was a good kiss, a goood kiss^^

12bucklemyshoe

Post by 12bucklemyshoe » Jan 9th, '11, 16:54

Kmovies and Kdramas are like at different ends of the spectrum. I'm exaggerating but it's weird seeing the same actors be completely different in the movies. So I don't know if it's a completely cultural thing or more a drama versus movie thing.

I think overall, the kdrama kisses are becoming more passionate.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 9th, '11, 16:59

It's actually TV things and agencies. If an agency wants to maintain the status of its star (male or female) it won't allow any passionate kissing, regardless in a movie or drama.
And TV broadcasts have in their status a paragraph saying something along: "We are standing on guards of our nation's morality".
I'm not joking.

Viande

Post by Viande » Jan 9th, '11, 17:21

12bucklemyshoe wrote:Kmovies and Kdramas are like at different ends of the spectrum. I'm exaggerating but it's weird seeing the same actors be completely different in the movies. So I don't know if it's a completely cultural thing or more a drama versus movie thing.

I think overall, the kdrama kisses are becoming more passionate.
Indeed... Naked Kitchen, Shin Min Ah and Joo Ji Hoon, anyone? *faints*

About other good kissing scenes in dramas, I think I'm Sorry, I Love You had one hot kiss, I just can't remeber in which episode. Also I might remember wrong but I think there was some hot kiss in A Love to Kill too.

But yeah, I think best kisses I have seen have been in movies.

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Jan 12th, '11, 16:02

Viande wrote:
Indeed... Naked Kitchen, Shin Min Ah and Joo Ji Hoon, anyone? *faints* .
Oh yeah ... :wub:

Pythia

Post by Pythia » Jan 13th, '11, 05:02

Another hot/sweet kiss can be found in Secret Garden ep 14.

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Jan 18th, '11, 18:45

I ll add the kiss in the city hall to my list !

circuitlovers

Post by circuitlovers » Jan 26th, '11, 23:39

Ethlenn wrote: And TV broadcasts have in their status a paragraph saying something along: "We are standing on guards of our nation's morality".
I'm not joking.
LOL!

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Jan 30th, '11, 13:10

Ususally I'm not that into the whole kissing rating thing but I just saw a good moment in My Princess, really stands out, imho. It's at the end of the 7th episode.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jan 30th, '11, 14:23

That was a good one. The girl didn't act like she was scared to touch the guy and the guy gave her a proper kiss too. Good, natural, convincing. How hard is it to at least have such level kisses more often?

misuzana

Post by misuzana » Feb 2nd, '11, 02:05

Orion1986 wrote:That was a good one. The girl didn't act like she was scared to touch the guy and the guy gave her a proper kiss too. Good, natural, convincing. How hard is it to at least have such level kisses more often?
I know right :lol I like I know what show u all talking about or like I have scene it before :whistling: :D

Serienjunkie

Post by Serienjunkie » Feb 9th, '11, 17:34

Secret Garden had many good kisses. :wub:

I like the kiss in When it´s at night in Ep 11. So sweet an natrually. :wub:
Kim Sun Ah is really good. (My Name is Kim Sam-Soon, City Hall, when it´s at night)

It noticed to me that in the dramas starting from 2010 many more kiss scenes thereby are than in former times. Also they work in the meantime frequently more naturally and more realistic than in older dramas.

In former times there were maybe 2 kiss scenes, in the meantime is perhaps it 3-5. Still somebody notices?

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Feb 9th, '11, 18:32

Family's Honor. The unbeatable king of kisses. :faint:

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Feb 10th, '11, 17:00

Hmm.. Family's Honor.. which one? He is not shy, that one :wub:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Feb 10th, '11, 17:06

Hehe... he is not. But even Hyun Gyu was a good kisser in it, keke...

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Feb 10th, '11, 19:14

1. Coffee Prince
2. Love to kill
3. Personal Preference (taste)

carling5

Post by carling5 » Feb 19th, '11, 21:37

The award for all-time greatest kiss goes to.....

A LOVE TO KILL!!! :cheers: :cheers:

The kissing scene in the alley of the ramen shop between Kang Bok Gu (Rain) and Cha Eun Seok (Shin Min Ah) is PURE PASSION! Just thinking about the way that Rain kissed her....OMG!!! I have never seen a man kiss a woman like that in a K-drama before or since. It's still the single hottest k-drama scene I have ever seen.

I think Rain is the sexiest, most beautiful man to ever walk this earth and he looks good enough to eat in A Love To Kill! This drama has great acting, cinematography, and OST combined with a beautiful, bittersweet love story and THAT KISS. A Love To Kill is my favorite K-drama bar none!!!

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Feb 20th, '11, 00:10

Where would be a good place to find FAMILY'S HONOUR please. Have done a small search but no luck as yet. Would prefer online but would also d/l if on d-addicts .
Must look there..... :scratch:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Feb 20th, '11, 08:50

Oh, it's not on DA, will send you pm about it.

carling5

Post by carling5 » Feb 22nd, '11, 07:28

The end of episode #13 of Playful Kiss just became my second favorite kiss! FINALLY! I'm so happy I could cry!

Oh Ha Ni is the just too adorable. Kim Hyun Joong is awesome in his role. Playful Kiss gets two big thumbs up from me. I love this couple so much! What a nice kissing scene! Cute, Cute, Cute!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 14th, '11, 07:39

New dramas have some, like Lie To Me and Greatest Love.
Plus Que Sera Sera.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jun 14th, '11, 07:56

Lie to Me is... well, very hot. Proper realistic kissing. Did I also mention is was hot? :faint:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 2nd, '11, 15:56

I Need Romance. Whooff! That was something! :wub:

esmer86
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by esmer86 » Jul 2nd, '11, 16:45

I'm just waiting to watch I Need Romance. There wasn't that much talk / hype about this drama right? But you know that there has to be atleast some good kissing scenes in this drama. :mrgreen:

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Jul 4th, '11, 21:26

OMG ! I need air , I mean "I need Romance" *speechless*

MoonRaven

Post by MoonRaven » Jul 4th, '11, 21:53

Haven't watched much K-dramas. I just started getting into them recently. Taiwanese were my obsessions. But out of the ones I have watched so far. I'd have to give it to Lee Min Ho in City Hunter, the second kiss. I was like wow!

JaJe

Post by JaJe » Jul 5th, '11, 14:19

I´m just watching "Marry me Mary" ("Mary stayed out all night") and the second kiss between Mary and Mu Kyul is just sooooooo hot! My heart skipped beating when I saw it! Jang Keun Suk really knows how to kiss a girl ("You´re beautiful" had also really enjoyable kissing scenes) :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 5th, '11, 16:21

JaJe wrote:"You´re beautiful" had also really enjoyable kissing scenes :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:
Then I most likely slept it over, or I winked and it was gone. Really? Pray tell what kiss?

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jul 5th, '11, 16:32

Well, if real adults kissed like they are afraid to touch each others lips, then yes, YAB would have had amazing kissing scenes. I just don't see it.

MoonRaven

Post by MoonRaven » Jul 6th, '11, 00:28

Maybe cause Jang Geun Seok looks good doing anything...so even if the kisses aren't that great, it still looks great cause he is doing them :p

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 6th, '11, 10:18

:tv: :rofl: :tv:
I need to stop, but your post is mighty dangerous, and I already came up with few things he could be good with... lovely day.

Well Greatest Love had also some good kissing...