All the same story?

Discuss Korean drama series here.
Jae Sun

All the same story?

Post by Jae Sun » Jul 15th, '10, 23:41

I'm new to Korean Dramas. I'm trying to find one that's non-historical to practice my listening and to learn about the culture. So I've been checking out Drama Fever, and the highest rated dramas set in modern day all seem have, like, the exact same story.

Some poor, down-on-her-luck woman gets into some situation where she meets Don Juan Kim, a smart, sophisticated, goodlooking, rich, playboy/doctor/politician/businessman. At first they fight a lot, as their personalities clash. She is stubborn and he is arrogant. Eventually they fall in love with each other.

Am I the only one noticing this? Are there any modern-day Korean dramas that AREN'T some version of "Twilight"?

wndrswan

you forgot

Post by wndrswan » Jul 15th, '10, 23:59

a contract has to be involved to. lol "fake dating contract, maid contract, fake marriage contract..it goes on and on!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 16th, '10, 00:21

Try Thank You, Vineyard Man, anything from KBS2 Drama Special, Hon, Gumiho Wehjun, When The Spring Comes, etc.
I've seen over 200 Korean dramas, some of them share the same pattern, but lots of them don't.

And please, don't mention Twilight here.
Last edited by Ethlenn on Jul 16th, '10, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.

Jae Sun

Post by Jae Sun » Jul 16th, '10, 00:27

Ethlenn wrote:Try Thank You
That's one of the few I've seen part of. Isn't it about a woman who people consider "unmarriable" because she has a kid and a senile old man to take care of, but then a handsome arrogant doctor comes live with her. They clash at first but eventually fall for each other?

There is a lot more to the story of course, but its still the same pattern it seems.

Checking out the other ones...

Vineyard Man
"In this romantic-comedy, (an adaptation of the book The Vineyard Man by Kim Rang), Yoon Eun Hye plays Lee Ji Hyun, a clothing designer in Seoul, who reluctantly leaves home for one year to work at her grand uncle’s vineyard in a small village. However when arriving in the country, she reunites with a Jang Taek Gi Oh Man Suk, a local resident who had been wrongfully arrested in Seoul by police after Ji Hyun reported having a dress-which she had designed-had been stolen. The two clash frequently as Ji Hyun has a difficult time adjusting to life in the country and working with Taek Gi. However, after many twists and turns Ji Hyun adapts to rustic life while falling in love with Taek Gi."

Down on luck woman: Check.
Sophisticated guy: Check.
Clash at first: check.
Fall in love: check.
Last edited by Jae Sun on Jul 16th, '10, 00:31, edited 1 time in total.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 16th, '10, 00:30

They fall for each other? How? Is it lovey-dovey romance as in typical story? No. Handsome arrogant doctor with a lot more personal issues than her.
For me it doesn't follow the pattern you presented.

Jae Sun

Post by Jae Sun » Jul 16th, '10, 00:46

I guess I'm just not feeling the characters. They all seem like idealized escapist vehicles. Maybe I'm just not getting it, but is there any show that is smart and edgy and light on the melodrama?

PocketKiriyama

Post by PocketKiriyama » Jul 16th, '10, 00:49

Jae Sun wrote:I guess I'm just not feeling the characters. They all seem like idealized escapist vehicles. Maybe I'm just not getting it, but is there any show that is smart and edgy and light on the melodrama?
The guy wasn't sophisticated in The Vineyard Man. I don't know how you would check that off. But here's a drama that I recommend that has a different feel compared to other Korean drama. Try "Soulmate".

Jae Sun

Post by Jae Sun » Jul 16th, '10, 00:52

PocketKiriyama wrote:
Jae Sun wrote:I guess I'm just not feeling the characters. They all seem like idealized escapist vehicles. Maybe I'm just not getting it, but is there any show that is smart and edgy and light on the melodrama?
The guy wasn't sophisticated in The Vineyard Man. I don't know how you would check that off. But here's a drama that I recommend that has a different feel compared to other Korean drama. Try "Soulmate".
lol he's a clothing designer from Seoul so I just assumed. But anyways, I did see "Soulmate" on dramafever and it looked interesting to me. With your recommendation, I will definitely try it out. Thank you.

zooey
Philippines

Post by zooey » Jul 16th, '10, 00:58

Jae Sun wrote:Don Juan Kim, a smart, sophisticated, goodlooking, rich, playboy/doctor/politician/businessman
:lol That was funny. Though I have to say that the guy in "Vineyard Man" doesn't really strike me as the sophisticated type. He doesn't own a vineyard, he tends to one. It's the girl who's a clothing designer.

How about "Flowers for My Life" a.k.a. "I Came in Search of a Flower"? I can guarantee you that there's no Don Juan Kim there and the lead girl is not exactly down on her luck... just downright quirky.

Jae Sun

Post by Jae Sun » Jul 16th, '10, 01:01

lol I can't read sorry. I'll be sure to check that one out too

janajee

Post by janajee » Jul 16th, '10, 02:18

They have the same pattern because it sells. :)

Not that I'm saying that's a good thing or anything. Or in my case a bad thing, because at times I do just like the predictable (the only reason I watch movies/dramas is for the feel-good feeling it provides. Not much of realist when it comes to movies/dramas. Heck I came to them to escape from reality, and would I want to watch something that just reminds me that life sucks, but you know, to each his own right?) I'm just saying it sells. :)

purple07mars

try these

Post by purple07mars » Jul 16th, '10, 02:25

I second SOULMATE. Loved it.
I couldn't finish Flowers for my Life.
Maybe PASTA, I loved it and the couple liked each other from the start.

The Devil and Resurrection are very good, not romances though. More mystery and suspense. Very similar though. The Devil was brilliantly directed.

Oh maybe you can try A Man called God, at first I thought 'LOL, what is this rubbish', but before long I really got into the story. Yet again,not really a romance but the bad guy really sells this story.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jul 16th, '10, 02:29

Well, "Fantasy Couple" is the other way around actually. Down on his luck guy keeps bumping into rich spoiled woman who makes his life hell later on. So is "Take care of the young lady".

But yes, that pattern sells so they keep using it. Then there's things like "Beethoven Virus". It does have the down on her luck woman and the sophisticated man but it's not a romantic series and
after a certain point, they completely brush off her character and focus on other things. AND she doesn't get the guy either. Which I really enjoyed. Than again, BV is not a romantic series, so there wouldn't be a couple anyway.
But unfortunately, what you're asking for (something not heavy on melodrama) must be pretty hard (if not impossible) to find in kdrama. They're all basically like "quality/glorified" soap operas.

There's aaalways sobbing and crying and pain and suffering. Even the more light comedic ones end up like that, although the start can be hilarious. Some do it better than others and some are just boring sob stories.

If you're not into stereotypes and repetetive plots and melodrama, you'll have to dig pretty hard to find such a kdrama. At least from the mainstream popular ones.

Edit: Pasta was good, but still had some crying and "Oh my! Look! Emotions!" moments. I mean, I did enjoy it and it was slightly less melodramatic than some, but it did have the stereotypes and love triangle thing and all.
Plus, it didn't really have much romance and although it was fun, I couldn't care less about what each of the kitchen people will do with their lives. It was more of an ensemble drama about cooking than a romantic one.
Just like BV is about music and the sob story of every orchestra member. I mean, if it weren't for Keun Suk (I have a weakness for the idiot) and the always amazing Kim Myung Min, I wouldn't be interested much.

purple07mars

Whoops

Post by purple07mars » Jul 16th, '10, 02:37

Didn't remember about melodrama part.
The Devil and Resurrection are very good, not romances though. More mystery and suspense. Very similar though. The Devil was brilliantly directed.

Oh maybe you can try A Man called God, at first I thought 'LOL, what is this rubbish', but before long I really got into the story. Yet again,not really a romance but the bad guy really sells this story.
Forget Resurrection, both The Devil and A Man called god had a good amount of drama and sad scenes but not as bad as Resurrection and IRIS.

zooey
Philippines

Post by zooey » Jul 16th, '10, 03:15

Orion1986 wrote:But yes, that pattern sells so they keep using it. Then there's things like "Beethoven Virus". It does have the down on her luck woman and the sophisticated man but it's not a romantic series and
after a certain point, they completely brush off her character and focus on other things. AND she doesn't get the guy either. Which I really enjoyed. Than again, BV is not a romantic series, so there wouldn't be a couple anyway.
Yeah, Beethoven Virus could have really done without that because the drama was really about the two Kang Gun Woos. That's also what I enjoyed about it. But that's just me. :-)

I second that you'd be hard-pressed to find a romantic-comedy that doesn't fit "the mold". There are a few out there but the opinions about the dramas will indeed vary. But I think since you're looking for something different, it wouldn't matter if the show got a huge following. Btw, in case you want something that doesn't have a love story in it, how about checking out "White Tower"?

melica37

Post by melica37 » Jul 16th, '10, 04:24

I would suggest Prosecutor Princess. The lead character is hardly down on her luck...

But if you are looking for light escapism without strong emotional moments I would say you are looking in wrong place all together.

TofuQueen

Re: All the same story?

Post by TofuQueen » Jul 16th, '10, 04:46

Jae Sun wrote:I'm new to Korean Dramas. I'm trying to find one that's non-historical to practice my listening and to learn about the culture. So I've been checking out Drama Fever, and the highest rated dramas set in modern day all seem have, like, the exact same story.

Some poor, down-on-her-luck woman gets into some situation where she meets Don Juan Kim, a smart, sophisticated, goodlooking, rich, playboy/doctor/politician/businessman. At first they fight a lot, as their personalities clash. She is stubborn and he is arrogant. Eventually they fall in love with each other.

Am I the only one noticing this? Are there any modern-day Korean dramas that AREN'T some version of "Twilight"?
My favorite Kdrama of all time is "Evasive Inquiry Agency" - I don't think it falls into any of the cliches you're trying to avoid, but then the love stories (such as they are) are definitely secondary to the mysteries. And it's very quirky; not to everyone's taste I suppose but I love it. :wub:

Viande

Post by Viande » Jul 16th, '10, 05:38

Not every drama has same pattern. Some may have about same but I don't mind it as I do like love triangles.

At least these shouldn't follow your pattern. What you like about them, no idea, depends on your taste.
Soulmate (It's about dating techniques and relationships, like someone said somewhere, it's like Sex in the City)
A Love to Kill (Main character's brother turns into vegetable due actress he was in love and he is determinded to pay back to her what she made her brother go trough. Defiently not the pattern you claim.)
When Spring Comes (A poor guy studies to become a prosecutor but his criminal father and gril he likes gives him some problems.)
Magic (This plot is very hard to expain without spoilers but it goes like this: There is tree guys/friends, one of them dies in accident due one of the guys. The guy who died had a sister who he was going to meet but now 3rd guy meets him and starts to take care of her as if he was her dead brother.)
Fantasy Couple (There is arrogant rich woman who makes main guy's life a living hell. However, that rich lady looses her memory in accident and now the guy will get his chance to pay back all the pain she had made him endure.)
The Devil (Well... the plot is kinda mystery case that evolves aroud police man who starts to solve it.)

aility

Post by aility » Jul 16th, '10, 07:15

How about God of Study ? It is about some school kids and how their struggle to enter the top university. And they give you a lot of studying tips ^^

Hero is also a bit different, though there are some melodrama there. But basically it is about corruption, how big influence the media has and how blindly we trust what is written. Very scary scenario if the serie depicted real life.

Successful story of a bright girl is more on the romantic/comic side, but here the roles are being switched, so the guy is hopeless and the girl saves the day =)

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 16th, '10, 09:50

Temptation of an Angel - a revenge story
Mom is Pretty Too - a family story
My Sister's March - political story
Comrades - a war story
Friend, Our Legend - violence and friendship

But this became a recommendation topic, and the one exists here.

Jae Sun

Post by Jae Sun » Jul 16th, '10, 13:13

Thank you for the replies everyone.

For the record, I'm not knocking K-Dramas for being stereotypical/predictable/whatever. American television is the same way of course with it's many shows about doctors/lawyers/policemen with personal issues. It's just not my cup of tea. Also, didn't really mean the thread to be a "recommendation" topic per se, more as a question of "Do any dramas think outside the box?", but I'll leave it to the mod's discretion to merge/delete/whatever.

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Jul 16th, '10, 17:52

I would suggest looking into the less mainstream/hyped/popular dramas. Anything lighthearted in the romcom department that got a lot of attention will likely follow this pattern. It's the successful patter that works, not just in Korea but in America and other countries too (at least the "I hate you, now I love you" plots). Which is probably why they are just as popular on DA. It's a media thing in general. When you find a plot device that consistently sells well, you just use it in everything.

One of the most annoying I see in a lot of America and British TV is the fact that they refuse to let characters who obviously like each other be together, then randomly have them hook up for less than one episode just to placate the audience, then go back to pretending it never happened. That happens in A LOT of shows.

The underdog shows tend to be the more "creative" or "artsy" ones. Less focused on getting the highest ratings and more on telling an amazing story. So if there is a 100 page thread of people saying how great the show is, probably not what you are looking for. If there are just a few pages of posts and the show is mostly ignored... that you may want to look into some.