Rate My Girlfriend is a Gumiho (vote only, plz don't reply)

Discuss Korean drama series here.

2010 Kdrama survey: My Girlfriend is a Gumiho

Poll ended at Oct 18th, '10, 11:36

10/10 Masterpiece
39%
9/10 Excellent
33%
8/10 Very Good
11%
7/10 Good
11%
6/10 Decend
6%
5/10 So-so
No votes
4/10 Not Really Good
No votes
3/10 Weak
No votes
2/10 Bad
No votes
1/10 Awful
No votes

Total votes: 18

bigsoccer

Rate My Girlfriend is a Gumiho (vote only, plz don't reply)

Post by bigsoccer » Oct 17th, '10, 11:36

In order to not clog up the board, I would ask that you refrain from replying. Let's this thread die after 1-2 weeks. For discussion, please go to the discussion thread for My Girlfriend is a Gumiho.

The thread below will serve as the Index for selected survey.

K-drama ranking & Index of selected 2010 Kdrama rating
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_28934_0.htm

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How would you rate this drama out of 10. Thanks.

10/10 Masterpiece
9/10 Excellent
8/10 Very good
7/10 Good
6/10 Decent
5/10 So-so
4/10 Not really good
3/10 Weak
2/10 Bad
1/10 Awful
0/10 Worst Ever

This will be the first of several 2010 Kdrama surveys. I will post the survey sparingly to avoid clogging up the board. (once survey every 7 days or so). I hope a lot of people vote so others can see if this series is worth watching or not.
Last edited by bigsoccer on Oct 20th, '10, 08:44, edited 1 time in total.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 17th, '10, 11:51

Hmm, I see no point in doing this.
There is a thread on rating.

bigsoccer

Post by bigsoccer » Oct 17th, '10, 12:00

Ethlenn wrote:Hmm, I see no point in doing this.
There is a thread on rating.
I disagree. I believe this will be very helpful.

First, If you want to see if My Girlfriend is a Gumiho is watchable or not, and you see that it get a lot of 9 and 10 votes (Excellent and Masterpiece), it makes you more incline to watch it.

Second, if you are looking for the rating on Gumiho, the rating thread is very clutter and hard to find the information. And nobody use that thread anymore. Only one person rate Guminho in the rating thread. In the last 2 years, that thread got maybe 15 posts.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 17th, '10, 12:01

Yesh, there is. But that's for rating a drama compared to others, not only about how good each one is. BUT, we'd have a flood of threads on our hands if we did that for each drama.
I suggest that we just add such a poll to the already existing threads of these series, unless new ones will be made for dramas that don't have their own topic here yet. With presentations.

Meaning, bigsoccer, that you can make new threads about dramas that don't already have them, but do make sure to have a small presentation/intro of the drama first. Like most topics here have.
I.e I can add this pole to the thread I made for this series. But I also, in my first post, made a small summary of all the basic info for it. So, if you do make new ones, you have to do some work.

As for the series that already have threads, you can find the person who made the original post or a moderator and ask them to add a poll there, for that specific series. Let's not make a mess.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 17th, '10, 12:07

Exactly.
Double threads will be merged or removed, this is double thread.
Besides, why start from MGIG? To do the justice of every drama, shouldn't we move back to at least the beginning of the year?

In the future, if you want a poll, add it at the beginning of non-existant yet thread for a drama.

bigsoccer

Post by bigsoccer » Oct 17th, '10, 12:17

Orion1986 wrote: I suggest that we just add such a poll to the already existing threads of these series,
THAT would be GREAT. And the best option.

If each existing discussion threads have a poll, it would be very helpful.

Can a Moderator do that? Retrospectively add a poll to a thread that have been posted for a few weeks?

For example, add a poll to the "Mary Stayed Out All Night (KBS2 2010-2011)" thread.

or the

Personal Taste (MBC, 2010) Lee Min Ho thread (11 pages so far).

I really want to see the rating on Personal Taste before I watch it. Don't have lot of time so I have to be choosy with the Kdrama I want to watch.
Last edited by bigsoccer on Oct 17th, '10, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 17th, '10, 12:20

This drama hasn't aired yet.

And I think it's not a mod's responsibility because every thread starter has to agree with messing with their thereads.
But it's a lot cleaner.

bigsoccer

Post by bigsoccer » Oct 17th, '10, 12:23

Ethlenn wrote:This drama hasn't aired yet.

And I think it's not a mod's responsibility because every thread starter has to agree with messing with their thereads.
But it's a lot cleaner.
So basically, if I want to post a poll to a drama, I have to do it months in advance before anyone does it?

The best option is to have a poll for each DRAMA discussion thread.

The next best option is to have a RATING SUBFORUM where each recent drama (2009, 2010 etc...) have a poll. And a sticky thread that index them all.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 17th, '10, 12:27

If you want a poll on a drama that already has a thread, contact the one who started said thread and ask them to post a poll. They will do it if they want to.
And if not, get others who agree with you and ask again. It's not mandatory and unless many people want it, it's no use having a poll on each and every series.

bigsoccer

Post by bigsoccer » Oct 17th, '10, 12:27

Ethlenn wrote:Exactly.
Double threads will be merged or removed, this is double thread.
Besides, why start from MGIG? To do the justice of every drama, shouldn't we move back to at least the beginning of the year?

In the future, if you want a poll, add it at the beginning of non-existant yet thread for a drama.
Ok. What Kdrama is coming out in 2-3 months time? Should I begin my poll right now with them?

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 17th, '10, 12:30

No. The moment the drama is out/starts airing or just a bit before that, make the thread (if it does not exist already).
I think that the poll should be added later on, after at least 5-6 episodes have aired. Cause then we have a clear opinion.

Polls can be a bad thing. Some people might get the wrong idea from them, so we should only allow people to vote AFTER they have seen enough of the show.
So, if the thread exists already, contact the starter. If not, start one WITHOUT a poll (make it a good one) and after 5-6 episodes have aired, add the poll.

bigsoccer

Post by bigsoccer » Oct 17th, '10, 12:31

Orion1986 wrote:If you want a poll on a drama that already has a thread, contact the one who started said thread and ask them to post a poll. They will do it if they want to.
And if not, get others who agree with you and ask again. It's not mandatory and unless many people want it, it's no use having a poll on each and every series.
I don't want to post a poll for each and every series.

Just the most popular and the most recent one (aka 2010, 2011 etc...).

And as I stated, I will post a survey once a week. This will not clog up the board.

The first post of the sticky Rating thread will serve as an index.

The only Kdrama rating website I found is dramabeans. But it's not very helpful because it is only 1 person rating.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 17th, '10, 12:33

You mean you want a "2010-2011 Kdramas" thread with polls on the most popular dramas of those two years or something? Then I don't know how that would work, or if it would be necessary. Ask the people in charge of the forum.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 17th, '10, 12:56

And as I stated, I will post a survey once a week. This will not clog up the board.
This will clog it up, because, as you maybe noticed, the threads for dramas are not created everyday, so soon there will be more poll surveys that normal, regular threads.

Plus, why rating is so important? If someone is unsure should one watch the drama or not, it's good to read few pages of the thread, or, if one doesn't like to read, can ask: Guys, should I watch it?

Let's not make this forum into a statistic class.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Oct 17th, '10, 20:37

Just have to say something about this.

I don't like polls. They don't really mean anything at all except to the person who has watched a drama and decided if they liked it or not. Then they decided to give it a mark or rating out of what? 5 or 10? And what does that mean to me or anyone else? I want to watch a drama and decide for myself if I liked it or disliked it or didn't even want to continue watching. However, other people might love the same drama so what I think has no bearing on their reception.

bigsoccer...I think you need to get your own blog and put your own ideas out there and give all your ratings so that if anyone wishes they can read or not, and if they want to dicuss a drama they can use your blog.
It will be taking away from this thread here and we already have lots of opinions about what we like or not and I personally NEVER read ratings. they do not mean anything for me. I like the discussion we have here and I love the variious opinions with which I agree or sometimes disagree. Nothing to do with numbers or ratings.

Just my thoughts.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 17th, '10, 20:46

I agree on that. A poll is good for people to get a general idea of what the specific forum's users think about said drama.
However, how many drama loving people look at a poll made by strangers to determine whether they will watch a series?

If you make new threads for series you like, you can have a poll on them. You'll be the starter and you can decide on that.
But I personally don't want to see a poll on every series. Maybe on the more popular ones to see how popular they are with users here.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 17th, '10, 20:55

I'm against polls as well. I will not include one in the threads I made, and I think if starter of the thread wanted a poll, he/she would have created it.
I'm on it with Peggy. It's just statistics that gives nothing. It's not the opinion.
I.e.: I may hate the drama, but I like one role of the actor/actress, or music. So I vote 1/10? Expressing my opinion inside the thread - it's what counts.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 17th, '10, 21:00

I am keeping the poll on the Gumiho thread to see if it gets participants or any interest. I will probably post a question tomorrow, asking the users there if they like it on the thread. If not, I'll 86 it, since no one wants it.
Some lurker-type users might not be people who like to post opinions, but like to vote. So, getting them to crawl out of their hiding place like that could be a good step. If no one seems interested, no use having it.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 17th, '10, 21:03

You need to have at least 10 post to be eligible to vote on D-A.
You can determine the duration of the poll, and then remove it.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 17th, '10, 21:04

I'll keep it for 2 weeks or so and see how it goes. If people vote and we get some participation, then it stays.
If people don't vote, despite the series being so popular, it means people here (or in that thread) aren't into voting, so it goes.

It's no use having a poll if there is no data for others to see. And lack of participation might lead visitors into thinking the series isn't popular, when it is. It's iffy.
That's why polls can be misleading. Because lack of interest in them does not mean lack of interest in the series and the results are also sketchy when few people vote.

Issy

Post by Issy » Oct 17th, '10, 22:29

yes. not a big fan of drama rating too. after all, it does not reflect the true quality of the drama. never chosen a drama to watch on people's rating.
while we are on the subject of clogging up the whole kdrama section, E-chan, can we do something about " Your type 5/10/... what ever genre kdrama" threads too? i see a new thread starting almost every other day. we just have so many similar threads like this. same goes with top what ever/ most gorgeous.... actors/actresses. one of each is enough.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 18th, '10, 05:29

I think the ones on dramas are ok as long as we have one per basic genre. Meaning "Top 5 Melodrama", "Top 5 comedy/romance", "Top 5 sageuk" and such. They can be useful for some.
Cause those can also encourage conversation on genres and produce many many series in each genre that could be interesting to watch. A crowded forum isn't nice, not an empty one either.
I agree about the actor/idol ones though. Too many people and no point. Who gives a damn who likes whom? I get wanting to see what series people like in one genre, but celebs? Nah.

Issy

Post by Issy » Oct 18th, '10, 09:02

i mean there are so many repeated ones in drama section. if they can be edited in a way so would be one of each. one for each genre. if only people go through the index or search the threads before making a new ones. :whistling:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 18th, '10, 09:16

You know, I tried to clean up the board as much as I could, I removed closed topics, and organized the stuff, but if you see any other proposition to enhance our Ksection, I'm open^^

And yes, I'm against spamming the forum with the ridiculous "5 the best of...". It's pointless.
So just point me what else needs to be done.

bigsoccer

Post by bigsoccer » Oct 20th, '10, 08:25

Orion1986 wrote:I'll keep it for 2 weeks or so and see how it goes. If people vote and we get some participation, then it stays.
If people don't vote, despite the series being so popular, it means people here (or in that thread) aren't into voting, so it goes.

So how many votes is enough? It got 10 so far.

As for discussion, I'm not looking for any. I just want the vote so I and others can choose which drama to watch.

If this go ahead, I will post a survey once every 7 days and in the thread title I will put.

2010 Kdrama Survey; __________ (vote only, please don't reply).

That way, it will not clog up the board and discourage discussion. For discussion, go to the main thread. With no reply, it will disappear from the first page after 1-2 weeks.

I will use the first post of the the sticky "K-drama ranking & Selected 2010 Kdrama rating Index" as an index http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_28934.htm

From the index, posters and lurkers can view the result of the survey.

Each month, I will only post 4 surveys and these surveys will disappear from the first page in relatively short time so they won't clog up the board. If you want, I can post them in the OTHER KOREAN TV SHOWS FORUM. That forum has little traffic so it won't bother anyone. Let's me know if that is more acceptable.

p.s. Thank you all who have voted. From the high rating this series has gotten, I think I am going to watch it.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 20th, '10, 11:48

I'm against creating any thread that won't be a discussion thread. What's the point?

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 20th, '10, 11:59

Bigsoccer, there is no point in making a vote only thread. There are not many people into drama who only look at a poll to decide on a series. And if there are, they shouldn't.
Say 20 people vote. And those 20 happen to not like the series. But another 1000 people do, they just aren't here to vote or didn't happen to come across that. Does that work?

Will you not look further into the series because 5 or 10 people happened not to like it and vote here? If you do judge series by polls made by strangers, fine, but not many do.
So you can't make pointless threads for your convenience alone. If you want opinions on a series, ask people. Go to the appropriate threads. Work for it. You can make better decisions.

Maybe a series has very bad acting, according to most people in the thread. But maybe you don't mind that and would love the story or the music. And maybe you'd like the series.
Heck, if you made a poll for Boys Over Flowers, most girls here would tell you it's awesome. But, personally, I hate the damn thing. I find it shallow and stupid. Would the poll help?

gensigayo

Post by gensigayo » Oct 20th, '10, 12:19

ethlenn: HI do you know where can i download STRONG HEART with english subtitle?or where can i get soft sub if there is any? THANK you.

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Oct 20th, '10, 14:30

Orion1986 wrote:Heck, if you made a poll for Boys Over Flowers, most girls here would tell you it's awesome. But, personally, I hate the damn thing. I find it shallow and stupid. Would the poll help?
That's what I was going to mention. "Popular" does not mean it's any good or a "masterpiece." Since voting would be a popularity contest it would reflect how many fangirls and boys there are for the show or actors, not how well the acting or writing is. A fan will probably give a show with their favorite idol a 10 even if it was a bad fluff drama.

Because people have different likes and dislikes—I can overlook god awful special effects for good story and actors, for others it's a deal breaker—I usually read through several pages of comments on a show before deciding if I want to watch it. I ignore all the "OMG this show is awesome," and, "*** is so hot," comments, because those are the people who voted 10 blindly. I look for actual comments on specific things people liked or disliked.

This thread sounds a bit like the OP is just a bit too lazy to do some reading and just wants to be told what is hot to watch.

bigsoccer

Post by bigsoccer » Oct 21st, '10, 09:41

Puppet Princess wrote:
Orion1986 wrote:Heck, if you made a poll for Boys Over Flowers, most girls here would tell you it's awesome. But, personally, I hate the damn thing. I find it shallow and stupid. Would the poll help?
That's what I was going to mention. "Popular" does not mean it's any good or a "masterpiece." Since voting would be a popularity contest it would reflect how many fangirls and boys there are for the show or actors, not how well the acting or writing is. A fan will probably give a show with their favorite idol a 10 even if it was a bad fluff drama.

Because people have different likes and dislikes—I can overlook god awful special effects for good story and actors, for others it's a deal breaker—I usually read through several pages of comments on a show before deciding if I want to watch it. I ignore all the "OMG this show is awesome," and, "*** is so hot," comments, because those are the people who voted 10 blindly. I look for actual comments on specific things people liked or disliked.

This thread sounds a bit like the OP is just a bit too lazy to do some reading and just wants to be told what is hot to watch.
But if you read the discussion thread to decide if a series is worth watching, wouldn't you be spoiled?

I don't want to know what happened in episode 1, 2, 3 etc...That's why I avoid discussion thread.

bigsoccer

Post by bigsoccer » Oct 21st, '10, 09:45

Orion1986 wrote:Bigsoccer, there is no point in making a vote only thread. There are not many people into drama who only look at a poll to decide on a series. And if there are, they shouldn't.
Wrong. People look at poll to decide what to watch all the time.

For example:

IMDB top 250 Movies
http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

Top 250 Anime
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... sian&n=250

Or

Top Anime

http://myanimelist.net/topanime.php

etc...

It would be great if there is something similar to Kdrama (especially the recent Kdrama).

Say 20 people vote. And those 20 happen to not like the series. But another 1000 people do, they just aren't here to vote or didn't happen to come across that. Does that work?
That's an EXTREME example.

bigsoccer

Post by bigsoccer » Oct 21st, '10, 09:53

Here's what it will look like with about 1 survey per week. I will use the General Discussions forum for the survey and hope that nobody reply to it. Which mean it will disappear after 2-3 weeks (hopefully).

Selected KDrama Rating Index

By the way, feel free to move this thread to General Discussion Forum.

This will be my last post on this thread.
Last edited by bigsoccer on Oct 21st, '10, 10:24, edited 3 times in total.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 21st, '10, 10:19

bigsoccer wrote: Wrong. People look at poll to decide what to watch all the time.
Wrong. People read the opinions.

But well, have your way. If you really want to make it the way IMDB is, read Peggy's suggestion.

Issy

Post by Issy » Oct 21st, '10, 11:33

i just fail to see how you can make up your mind only on the basis of people's rating. d-a is NOT like IMDB. you have forgotten about crazy fan girls/boys who see the success of a drama only because their idol looked hot or smiled or had their hair colour/style changed.
but as i see you want to have it your way, please let me know if those rating that you are so keen on having them did any help or not and did you find them a true representative of that drama's quality. and please be honest.
btw, discussion threads always have spoiler tags for people who do not want to know what is happening in ep 1, 2, 3...

peacht
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by peacht » Oct 21st, '10, 11:50

Ok, I'm sure there's "no need to reply" to this thread. As there is no need to reply it cannot be deemed a discussion and so is in the wrong forum.

However it seems that there is a discussion here about how different people make decisions for themselves. There are as many ways to make a decision as there are people to make them. Let's not tell each other how to make up our own minds.
I think polls are crap but I don't want to ban them.
I don't read discussion threads (unless they are reported to me) but I understand that many people value them.
The more resources there are for people to use the better (it seems to me). If some people want to vote and others want to base part of their decision on those votes that's fine.
We just need to decide where these polls are best placed. My personal opinion is that these be stickied here and run for one or two weeks. After that time, the results added to the database, the poll deleted and another poll started.

Issy

Post by Issy » Oct 21st, '10, 12:42

you are so right dear peacht
i do apologize if I sounded like imposing my own way of decision making. it's just every drama rating that i came across, did not meet my own personal thoughts. but as i said, it's was my personal thinking. my main intention was not clogging up the drama discussion section as those rating threads sometimes can be mistaken with discussion threads and we will end up with so many discussions on different threads. but if we have a special place for them, then is all the best. it would be even better if there was way only to vote and not post any comments for people who care about rating but don't want discussion.
:salut:

peacht
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by peacht » Oct 21st, '10, 12:49

Issy wrote:it would be even better if there was way only to vote and not post any comments for people who care about rating but don't want discussion.
:salut:
I played around with this last night while thinking of a way to deal with these polls but I couldn't make it happen.
If the thread is stickied then I can put a note in asking people not to reply and hopefully that will put off potential discussion.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 21st, '10, 12:53

Before the discussion started here it was without the brackets in the title.

I think it's a good solution, a week or two-week sticky poll, then remove it, add to the statistics and go on.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 21st, '10, 12:56

If there's a way to place these things in one sub-forum or just somewhere in their own place, then fine. Like you said, peacht, this isn't a dictatorship, but a democracy.
But flooding one forum category with so many topics, would not be fair to those who aren't interested in polls. So, a sticky there is a good idea. We can make this work for all.