Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

City Hunter (SBS, 2011)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
el_canuck

Post by el_canuck » Jul 29th, '11, 17:08

Some KDramas can really tee people off, faithfully watching all 20 episodes just to be left hanging, It sucks.
On the other hand, treat it like Batman or Spider-man and we can have another season or sequel.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Jul 29th, '11, 17:54

kasanje wrote:Anyone know what "trumpet bride" means?

In episode 15 Young Joo's ex refers to herself as this @ 18:30. I tried using google but couldn't find a darn thing close to it. I'm using the darksmurf subs so maybe it's a miss-translation, dunno.
just watched 15 yesterday...and viki subs didn't translate it but left it as
"I guess I can't be Wurang Gaksi*. [ *folktale reference to someone who does good deed in secret ]"
Hope that helps.

Anyway, I just can't get myself to continue with this series got only 5 eps left but I feel that nothing much interesting'll happen...even though this started out so well. But all the push and pull games of the CH got really boring. I hate him being a wimp who can't decide whether to stay with Nana or make her leave...it's become too repetitive. And the hawt ahjusshi doesn't get to do anything but stare...what a shame!

MoonRaven

Post by MoonRaven » Jul 29th, '11, 18:11

If they had a hour long special or something along those lines, to tie up the lose ends people most likely have :P

Just curious:
The City Hunter doll Lee Min Ho had in his twitter pic..I want!! When is that available??
Anyone have any ideas?

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 29th, '11, 18:53

Dropped that after ep 15 for exact the same reasons as Ara. Maybe pick it up when my sageuk end ( :whistling: ), but not sure.

MoonRaven: you are referring to the dolls made by fans? If those are the same I saw once on the gallery for CH, then yes, they are fan-made.

Issy

Post by Issy » Jul 29th, '11, 19:20

I still have to watch the last 2eps but have to agree with the point Ara-chan made. still it's not annoying enough for me to drop it. But I Did not like the sad turn of event that happened in ep19. It seemed that they felt, it's ep19 and we have not done something shocking, so here they go picking on poor prosecuter.
I need to dl those eps. I don't have time to scratch my head these days. :crazy:

el_canuck

Post by el_canuck » Jul 29th, '11, 21:08

We keep talking about the last episodes and those that dropped out at 15 just might want to keep going.
I felt this had all the makings of a really good drama and then they blow it in the last few episodes.
This is where it sucks being just a foreign bystander, I wish there was an avenue to gripe about the bad ending, alas we can only watch and weep. In Fugitive Plan B they killed off the female police officer for no reason. Why?

If it is not a romantic/comedy, watcher beware of the ending, that should be the rule.

Remember the writers name to be on guard for the next one.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jul 30th, '11, 09:45

I expected that this kind of event would happen.
Its an actiondrama, where they fight and handle weapons all the time. And there is the kdrama rule for actiondramas: at least one of the 4 mainleads will die. Then the people who seek for revenge and kill somebody will also die.
Its a shame, that they killed the prosecuter off, but it was still expected, so my personal rateing of this drama isnt affected by this. Unlike in the 49days case, where it was out of the blue, that they kil the mainlead off and this spoiled the whole drama for me....

Issy

Post by Issy » Jul 30th, '11, 11:40

:P Then you should read tens of angry fangirls posts about why on earth they did not get their fairy tale happy ending for neon couple. Not sure what part of CH gave them the impression that it's a rom-com.
I was expecting that ending but somehow I did not think it would be the prosecuter.
One more thing, very heavy endorsement of certain product made it look cheap and very commercial. I guess they had big budget to cover with all those action scenes.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jul 30th, '11, 20:39

I just have to say, this series is the most epic thing I've seen from Korean television. I really have no complaints, no real issues with it, nothing but good words for it.
Most of the things I watch leave me thinking "lovely, but". No butts, I meant buts in this one. It was simply perfect and it FINALLY proved tragedy can have different forms.

I absolutely love this series. I LOVE it!

Cast and crew are simply amazing. They put so much work into this and so much honesty and it worked like a charm. THIS is how a proper series should be made, people.
And Min Ho, babe, I love ya. You've gained an "APPROVED" stamp in my heart and I can't wait to see what comes next. The kid is doing so well. He should be very proud.

As for the ending, like I said, you CAN have balance, have tragedy and not just kill everyone off because you think that gives the work more meaning. That's cheap. This wasn't.
And can I just say, I have a weakness for a well acted death. Lee Joon Hyuk, whose name I won't forget again, died beautifully. He also has my creepy viewer stamp of approval.

I personally didn't mind the open part of the romance. They are ALIVE, people! That's rare enough already! And this wasn't a romance series in its core anyway, to be frank.
Fairytale endings in rom-coms leave us with couples who are just starting out and could very well break up next month. They end at attraction and romance, not real pure love.
These two people did so much for each other. They are devoted to each other for life. Whether as a couple or not, they love each other. REAL love. That is far better, you know.

And Issy-kins mentioned product endorsement. I really don't mind it. In fact, I love it. Because when you have a BIG HUGE BLUR on screen, immersion goes out the window.
Also, sponsors are a necessary evil. They fund the series and the creators have much more to work with. So, even if it does get in the way sometimes, I am grateful for it.

I also liked how the handled the stabbing of Cheon. From what I've seen from God's Quiz, when a blade is shown that will kill someone, they blur it. Stupid Korean television...
So, by using that trick, they could show what happened without having Cheon killed by Jin Pyo and his long blur... Frankly, that is just a silly regulation. And the series owned it.

As for a second season, we didn't see who let Cheon out of holding and his henchman is around as well, so there's a possible villain, but it doesn't make season 2 a must.
Meaning, it's a small enough "hole" to not cause the ending of season 1, and possibly series, to suffer, but it's there just in case they do decide to go for another round at this.
I personally think this was a bit too epic for a season 2. Going from top politicians and government to small fish doesn't sound exciting, unless the new villain becomes president.

Whatever happens, I wuved it. Respect. Series, I love you. :heart:

MoonRaven

Post by MoonRaven » Jul 31st, '11, 04:56

Issy

Post by Issy » Jul 31st, '11, 17:45

oh man, Kdramas sure know how to make you cry. :cry:
just finished watching the last 2 eps of City Hunter and my final view is LOVE. :wub:
I have to agree with every word that Ori-chan wrote. it was a very well made drama and kept me on my toes for whole 20 eps. all characters had great acting and chemistry with each other and their team work was just perfect. City Hunter will be in the list my of most favourite dramas t for sure. it was a great watch.
even though I still think that amount of endorsement was ridiculously high, but also agree that without their money, making such high budget action drama would be almost impossible.
after all, a person who is eating sweets, can't tell others not to. :mrgreen:

now goes to see more of LMH and LJH :wub:

ziliey

Post by ziliey » Aug 1st, '11, 11:20

I just finished watching the last epsiode of City Hunter and all I can say is I LOVE THE SERIES!!!
It's the best Korean drama that I have watched!!!! RESPECT to all the fabulous actors and the director and the stunt co-ordinators...There wasn't a moment in this that I simply would want to change.. the very illuminated ocean scene and the death scene, I wouldn't change it... hehehehe and Oh My God!!! Lee Min Ho was fabulous in this!!! I have loved him since I saw him in Personal Preference and though I hate BBF with a vengeance I still liked him in it... He truly has become a Hallyu star in my eyes and the same goes for ark Min Young... I loved her in S Scandal and she truly amazed me in this.. I love her role and I believe no one could have portrayed Bear Na Na like her!!! And Angry Ahjusshi!!!! Oh Angry Ahjusshi!!! I freaked myself out for having the hots for him but he really has that devil aura around him which makes him more awesome!!!! And I have to say I love the prosecutor dude as well..Lee Jyun Hook was real gutsy and I liked his role a lot as well!!!

All in all.. this is going to be the most rewatched Korean series in my list!!!

And thanks to all you guys here for flailing with me when I had no one around me who watched City Hunter.. every week after watching the episodes I always looked forward to reading your posts and agreeing and taking your comments into consideration!!! I Shall miss this!!!!
RESPECT!!! :D

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Aug 1st, '11, 16:23

ziliey, dear, this community is unique because everyone has one's own opinion, be it love for some drama or bashing it, but certainly not mindless repeating of others' words and opinions.

Don't miss that, only join other threads^^
:salut:

ziliey

Post by ziliey » Aug 1st, '11, 19:45

I shall join another thread as soon as I get round to watching something!!!
Thanks Ethlenn!!!
:lol

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Aug 2nd, '11, 02:56

Finally managed to watch the 2 last episodes and one sentence : Jin Pyo I love(d) you ( Kim Sang Jong : Chapeau bas ) :wub:
Two amazing episodes and the way it ended that made me forget the boring parts ! although it's not a perfect drama , it 's still a must watch !
Can't help but post this
Image :faint: :faint:
Okey okey don't get mad , I'll stop ! :pale:
Just a last one please , not of him , but the prosecutor' ,I must say that he bocame more and more adorable
Image :alcoholic:
Another beautiful journey has ended ! :cheers:

P.s:Zilley , hope to see you arround soon , you're a good example of a patient person :D
Last edited by Sham26 on Aug 2nd, '11, 03:44, edited 1 time in total.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Aug 2nd, '11, 03:20

I also love how they prepare you for the prosecutor. Doing well with his ex-wife and all, turning 100% into the good guy and then that slow motion-turning around-looking adorable thing! Ahaha!
It's like Hollywood action movies, when someone says they will retire in a few days. Always the first ones to go. Prosecutor had "Will die" all over him in that episode. And Lee Joon Hyuk, you rockz...

And ziliey, do get around in DA. Lots of nice stuff to be discussed and thankfully, it's a place where you can mostly express your opinions, no matter what those are. We has werkin brainz over here.

Lludara

Post by Lludara » Aug 3rd, '11, 02:05

*ahem*

.... Just a simple reminder that if you DO ruin the ending - please put it under the *spoiler* tags...I only lack the last 2 episodes (just got back from vaca today) and was interested in whether people liked the ending...and i got a little more of the ending then wanted.

I've been impressed with CH up until now, I will continue to watch it, the last 2 episodes.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Aug 3rd, '11, 03:01

Sorry. Subs for it are out so we've been talking a bit too freely. ^^

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Aug 3rd, '11, 20:44

It would be the best, if we put *spoiler* befor or after the threadname, so that everyone knows, that its full of spoilers and who doesn't want to bespoiled, shouldn't read it. There are far too many spoilers here, which are not marked and its now to late t o do this.

jiriboy

Post by jiriboy » Aug 6th, '11, 00:42

*SPOILER* Maybe
What the h*ll was the ending about. Seriously scriptwriters let's have a more obvious closure to these series sometimes, just sometimes. It's so frustrating. Did they, didn't they? Arggghhhhhh

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Aug 6th, '11, 06:58

Jiriboy, there might be a Season 2 at some point, but it's also not certain (no news of such intentions yet). So they needed an open enough ending for that, but not too open.

I personally really loved it. We had closure on the revenge story, we saw the status of every main character and we are still left with the "they have more to do now" thought.

As for the spoilers, I think the few weeks post-series ending are naturally spoilerish, so we could have changed the topic name only during those few weeks and talk freely.
Meaning, a lot of us watch the series as it airs and then talk about it. We'd have to have spoiler tags on every post if we wanted to speak freely like that and that would be bad.

Before and way after the series' end, spoiler tags are used more often. But I feel a discussion on the ending and series when it just ended is bound to have many spoilers.
I'd think that someone who doesn't want to be spoiled wouldn't even enter the thread when they know that the series has just ended and people will be raving openly about it.

This is a discussion on a series so it's normal for it to have spoilers here and there. Maybe a warning/rule about it would be helpful for any new members though.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Aug 6th, '11, 23:56

Well the ending is more or less open. After one week and some thoughts i came to conclusion, that
the ending is that, what Lee Min Ho stated at the beginning of the drama in an interview. He said, that it is some sort of prequel to the "real" CH-story, even though it has some changes. But the bottom line is:
-the CH helps people in need
-he has a female partner, with whom he is in a weird love relationship (well in the original CH its more or less onesided from Kaoris(Na Na) side and he thinks of her more or less as a sister. In this drama its not one-sided, but its still unclear if they get further in this relationship)
-in the daily life CH poses as a playboy, but gets serious if he has to
In my books its my favorite kdrama 2011(if you count sg as a 2011 drama, then its the second, but i think of sg as a 2010-drama).If the ending of 49days wouldn't suck, the this drama would be numer 1. But as it is is CH has the pole position.

esmer86
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by esmer86 » Aug 9th, '11, 23:10

There are spoilers here so be aware.

I finished this series last weekend and I liked it. The beginning was really good...I even got to watch it on my big 50 inch tv so whenever Lee Min Ho showed up I was back in gutterland again :P But when it came to like the 14...15th episode (somewhere around there) I felt it got a little slow so Im guessing I would have enjoyed it even if it was 16 episodes, maybe could have enjoyed a little more. I for one enjoyed the last episode, how Jin Pyo took the blame for being City Hunter- saving Yoon Sung, which was saying that he really did care for his "son." That was kinda expected.

Not the prosecutor!!!! Oh hell, I knew someone was gonna get killed off but I was hoping it wasn't him. I really thought it was gonna be his ex-wife that was gonna get killed.
Loved how they made Park Min Young badass in this drama. I was really proud of her handling the guys like that. Kinda wants me to take some kind of classes for self defense.

In my mind Yoon Sung and Kim Na Na stayed together. Yeah you can say that the viewers would have liked a definite answer but come on. They kept on repeating saying, "I will survive this and go back to you," or "I will wait for you." That pretty much says that they got together in the ending but what got me was how the character of Yoon Sung kept trying to push her away and trying to forget his fellings for Na Na and making it difficult on himself and her. Why couldnt he just say, "Can you wait for me," the kinda mushy crap and guess what- Na Na put him in his place :roll My family calls me NaNa sometimes so whenever he kept saying her name I felt weird but special. :faint:

With the way they left the ending of the last episode I could see something extra/special being done. Not to sure about a second season but maybe a movie. Just gonna have to wait and see. And I really like the OST as well, especially Suddenly by Kim Bo Kyung (I believe, not too sure about that) and Lonely Day. Suddenly keeps on getting on replay on my IPod :mrgreen:

JiveTalkinRobot

Post by JiveTalkinRobot » Aug 11th, '11, 21:52

You jerks! Spoiled the last two episodes and the ending for me!

...jk...I know better than to visit d-addicts during the final week of a drama. Spoiler city.

but honestly...please do use the spoiler tags.

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Aug 15th, '11, 22:30

I never really cared for spoilers, but I have habbit to check last page of book before I buy it so.. Sometimes in drama if I like some character really much I just check if they do not kill it in the end or worse especially if its not main one (I often like the bad ones so this kind of endings happens :-( ) And as I usually wait for drama to end before I start it spoilers are given.
But back to the drama, I'm just in the middle and it's not bad to this point. A little lacks in suspense keeping, I wonder why but feeling is not here always even if it should be. It could be plot, directing, camera work even all together but the idea is so good so why it is slowing too much too often, I think they made better work with Iris. It had slow moment (maddening even) but when the air was supposed to be thick you had nose in the sreen and nails beaten. The confict between CH and his mentor is good idea for plot especially as this mentor guy is someone I could admire for that kind for focus and being so simple minded. I would say he is true special agent here: mission (even selfappointed) as top priority and everything in a way to be eliminated. He helplesly failed with his "prentis" which is surprise as he should be braiwashed in childhood. The guy was schooled in manipulation too, why he failed? To give us drama I suppose, no other explanation, but whatever I can live with this. Anyway the noble thinking to not carry revange in blood is a bit off but smart to some point, I just think you should measure it by person and those guys need more blows that those he is delivering them to understand and be punished. Money too will be better and I cant say I would pitty their families as their members were not pictured as nice people too. Even children, bad genes maybe or just example from parents, grandparents?
I wonder how prosecutor is involved in accident (another way just by parents which is kinda obvious), was he driving? And his kind letters are a bit pathetic from my point of view, if he feels guilty and responsible (even for parents) he could wire some money not some "the light will come" words! I agree with City Hunter here, it is cheap! I every way I would add. His ex-wife knows but I do not have nothing against her right now, I will see later how is she involved in this. Now she is my favorite famele character, cool and composed, fast thinker and capable which I can't say about bodyguard girl. I agree with her boss she should be fired, she lack distance and is not mature enough for the job.
Big surprise I like main guy, even with some flaws in character he is showing and even if I do not like actor (BBF, ghrrrr! but he looks way better here). But only guy to look at in the drama so I even started to think he do not look so bad smirking. Good kicks BTW, not his I suppose but well done, my favorite parts in drama I must add.

Love Love Warrior

Post by Love Love Warrior » Aug 22nd, '11, 17:01

The drama is good. I agreed on the ending though, they kept it open for the possibilities of season 2. Though I doubt it.
*spoiler
They could've given more time for LMH+PMY at the last episode tho (-_- )

folie a deux

Post by folie a deux » Aug 23rd, '11, 07:00

"Good kicks BTW, not his I suppose but well done, my favorite parts in drama I must add."

@shiofmedea: I beg to disagree, because according to the news he executed (almost all) his stunts by himself.

credit: Monika Lee Min Ho Blogspot
PD Jin Hyeok “City Hunter season 2? Lee Min Ho wants to do a melodrama.”
TV report reporter Park Jin Young] City Hunter PD Jin Hyeok revealed that LMH wants to pursue melo-acting rather than action (projects).
PD Jin Hyeok was in an interview with TV Report on the 2nd and voiced out the regrets he has about SBS TV’s City Hunter.
PD Jin said “Right now i’m self-reflecting on what I did poorly and what I did well. There are a lot of regrets remaining in my mind.” When asked if he would reconcile those regrets through a 2nd season he replied “If we were to do a 2nd season, the story would have to change. And LMH has to be in it. However, it doesn’t seem like LMH will do a 2nd season. He had a hard time and said he wants to try melo-acting next,” to which PD Jin laughed heartily.
LMH did almost all the action scenes himself without a stand-in. He was also involved in an accident and suffered injuries which shocked everyone. PD Jin added that “if LMH removes his clothing, it would be full of wounds and bruises,” showing how hard it possibly was on LMH physically.
Actually LMH had a amusing connection with PD Jin. When PD Jin’s former project ‘prosecutor princess’ was showing on SBS, LMH was starring as the male lead in MBC’s ‘personal taste’ which was airing during the same time slot. During that time, the actor and director were competitors but this time they have joined their efforts together in a project.
To this PD Jin said “I bought the topic up the moment I met Minho. We were envious of each other. Usually I wasn’t interested in him but after meeting him I realize there’s more to him (or he’ll make it big). When I was working on ‘Prosecutor Princess’, I thought LMH is really good. During that time, I thought it would be great if I could work with him.”
After LMH was casted for the role in City Hunter, PD Jin would hang out with LMH to get to know him better. He said “It is a project that displays the charisma of the actor, so I have to know the actor to be able to direct it well. He cooperated with me on the process to discover his charisma. I put a lot of thought on the person’s (prob referring to Yoon Sung) cheerful and dark side, as well as how he should express the emotions through his eyes and etc. MH also follows well,” expressing his gratefulness for that.
SBS TV’s City Hunter completed its last episode (epi 20) on the 29th. Although there are certain regrets about the ending, viewers praised the drama for bringing up societal issues such as half-priced tuition and the industrial accident involving leukemia.
Source: TV Report
Translation by webby @ soompi
Credits: loveghs.wordpress.com

@Love Love Warrior: Min Ho and Minyoung will certainly be given A LOT of time/attention nowadays given the latest news of them being a "real" couple :D

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 12th, '11, 13:52

V.A City Hunter The Score Original Soundtrack
And this is something rare in Kdramaland. :salut:

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 12th, '11, 14:55

Wow! A score? That is mighty rare indeed! And it should be done more often. Some series have good scores.

Issy

Post by Issy » Oct 12th, '11, 15:11

Ethlenn wrote:V.A City Hunter The Score Original Soundtrack
And this is something rare in Kdramaland. :salut:
OMG! A rare happening indeed. But recently they have been releasing sageuks score so I guess it's catching up. Can't wait to get home and dl. Thanks E-chan :salut:

bloodbath-angel

Post by bloodbath-angel » Oct 12th, '11, 16:53

@Ethlenn: Yay! Thank you so much for the link! Listening to it makes me want to watch City Hunter again. :)

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Oct 12th, '11, 17:10

Thanks, Ecchan. It really is nice to hear some of these. Not a divine score, but good one nonetheless.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 12th, '11, 17:14

I'm glad one small link makes so many people happy. :salut:

Still hoping for few other dramas scores released (where art thou, SKKS?)

esmer86
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by esmer86 » Oct 12th, '11, 21:00

yepp grabbing it also. Another thanks from me!

sunflower63

Post by sunflower63 » Oct 2nd, '12, 06:41

This was an amazing drama! I loved it to bits and it was the first time for me to see LMH and I have nothing but praises for him. The story of this drama, the acting, the OST everything was absolutely perfect and each episode left me emotionally involved and wanting to know more. IThis went straight in my top favourite dramas and I will certainly rewatch it. I enjoyed all the comments on here, spoilers included, and I wanted to ask if there was an alternative link to the one posted of the OST score as it is not working any longer. Thanks for your help.