Original Title: 동안미녀 / Dongan Minyeo
Genre: Romance, comedy

Cast:
Jang Na Ra as Lee So Young
Choi Daniel as Choi Jin Wook
Ryu Jin as Ji Seung Il
Kim Min Seo as Kang Yoon Seo

Directors: Lee Jin Suh, Lee So Yun
Scriptwriters: Jung Do Yoon (정도윤), Oh Sun Hyung (오선형)
Broadcast Network: KBS2
Number of episodes: 20
Broadcast dates: 2011-May-02 to 2011-Jul-05
Airtimes: Monday & Tuesday 21:55

Synopsis from Dramawiki:

The story of Lee So Young, a 34-year-old woman who's saddled with family debt and only has a high school qualifications, but dreams of becoming a fashion designer.
Her youthful appearance is her only advantage; she is mistaken for a 25-year-old university graduate and subsequently lands her dream job when she's hired by a fashion design company, where she meets Choi Jin Wook, a man who looks more mature than his young age.

Subtitles: Darksmurfsub, Viki Softsubs, WithS2 (VIA only)

Official Site: http://www.kbs.co.kr/drama/babyface/
Dramawiki: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Baby-faced_Beauty
Hancinema: http://www.hancinema.net/korean_drama_B ... Beauty.php
DC Gall: http://gall.dcinside.com/list.php?id=babyface

Stills:

Image Image

Image Image

Teaser1:

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2iObcOK8YSM" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Teaser2:

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rtpDCo9plfU" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Last edited by Orion1986 on Feb 26th, '13, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Jul 12th, '11, 22:53

I saw an episode on tv last night I can't believe that I missed this drama. Oh well, I am doing a marathon to catch up. I love these kind of drama. :cheers:

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jul 12th, '11, 23:23

It can get very cliche in some aspects, but it does have a not-the-usual-rich-cold-bastard guy for the love interest. Frankly, Daniel Choi and his "dad" are what kept me going.
It does have sooome level of freshness to it and most of all, it's honest for what it is. Light fun. I personally appreciate this for that honesty in what it promises and delivers.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Jul 13th, '11, 15:47

Hmm dunno, I watched the first 2 eps but I found it too slapsticky and couldn't warm up with any of the characters...Does the drama stay like that or does it tone down a little?

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jul 13th, '11, 16:51

Well it's not the best kdrama of 2011, but imho its worth to watch it. Who likes light romcoms, will also like this drama.
After a few episodes theres very little slapstick left, so you have just to endure it.
The story itself is a little bit inconsistent. After half of the episodes the real age of the female lead is revealed and its just a issue, which is just casually mentioned in the rest of the drama. After this, the drama takes al different path. It becomes one of these competition-storys, where the maincharacter has to become the best designer and there is one competition after another.
So while in the first half of the drama its a romcom with a competition-element, the second half has its mainfocus on the competition-part.

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Jul 14th, '11, 14:25

I was thinking the same way. Episode 2 was cheesy but it is was funny in some parts.

It's nice to see Daniel Choi again. The last time I saw him was is Worlds Within with curly hair. He is so funny and cute.

About the drama so far...I still can't figure out what is wrong
with the mom and why she can't work. :unsure:

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jul 14th, '11, 15:05

iluvasiandrama wrote:
About the drama so far...I still can't figure out what is wrong
with the mom and why she can't work. :unsure:
Have you ever seen the moms of the mainlead working? They never work, except if the family owns a small restaurant. Ok in some rare cases they do, but in 9 from 10 dramas, they don't work.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Jul 14th, '11, 15:34

Although the series does take a turn midway for the competition (and also cause they got an extension so they could add more story to it), they also up the cute some. :wub:

It does have many cliches, but it's also fresh with many things. The lead woman is not annoying and bratty, and we actually have TWO good guys and no jerks. And a kick ass kid, which I loved.
It does have its melo parts, of course, but they somehow felt ok. I didn't feel like "HERE! *in you face* Cry! It's drama!" like it did with TGL. That one just pissed me off and bored me. This one, no.

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Jul 14th, '11, 19:36

Silverman wrote:
Have you ever seen the moms of the mainlead working? They never work, except if the family owns a small restaurant. Ok in some rare cases they do, but in 9 from 10 dramas, they don't work.
Really? Which dramas don't have working moms of the main lead? I remember the moms working in every kdrama I have seen if they are alive of course. I may be wrong but
BOF - Jan Di's mom worked at the cleaners and then fish market. Jun Pyo's mom was the President/CEO.
Worlds Within - Hyun Bin's mom worked on the farm.
Smile Donghae - I forgot her name but Donghae's girlfriend (not the ex) her mom worked at kimchi business and Donghae's mom was house help.
Shining Inheritance - Stepmom had a furniture store or something along those lines.
My Princess - Mom had a lodge-resort-bed n breakfast type of establishment.
etc. etc.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jul 14th, '11, 19:59

iluvasiandrama wrote:
Silverman wrote:
Really? Which dramas don't have working moms of the main lead? I remember the moms working in every kdrama I have seen if they are alive of course. I may be wrong but
BOF - Jan Di's mom worked at the cleaners and then fish market. Jun Pyo's mom was the President/CEO.
Worlds Within - Hyun Bin's mom worked on the farm.
Smile Donghae - I forgot her name but Donghae's girlfriend (not the ex) her mom worked at kimchi business and Donghae's mom was house help.
Shining Inheritance - Stepmom had a furniture store or something along those lines.
My Princess - Mom had a lodge-resort-bed n breakfast type of establishment.
etc. etc.
I should have said, that the most moms don't work except they have some familybusiness. Ok in the most dramas they have either a business or are dead, but they rarely have a "normal" job.

Lludara

Post by Lludara » Jul 24th, '11, 16:47

I am currently watching this drama. I haven't watched anything with Daniel Choi before - but he's grown on me. I'm now up to episode 10.

I'll be frank - I had to trudge through the first 3-4 episodes. I thought it was a bit ridiculous that she was carrying on under her sisters name. I mean... In real life i doubt it would've worked.

I will agree with Orion on this Drama - the two main leads (men), are kick ass and super awesome. I love them both. So much in fact, i'm not totally sure which one i want to get her (though i'm sure i know who she's going to end up with). The only other drama I was like that on was Sungkyunkwan Scandal.

I do hope it picks up the pace a bit past episode 10, but I can honestly say i'm really starting to get into it!

Biozombie

Post by Biozombie » Dec 4th, '11, 19:40

I thought it was terrific, I wasn't too sure at first as I feared Choi Daniel's overacting would become a bit irritating, but once he settled down after a few episodes, he became quite likeable. Jang Nara was ridiculously cute and sweet, I found it impossible to stop watching her and Kim Min Seo was a great baddie. 10/10.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Dec 4th, '11, 21:40

Yep JJang Na Ra is the cutest korean actress i know (i'm talking about cute, not sexy/beautiful etc.). Especially if she is mad. If she were my friend/gf, then i would deliberately make her mad every day, just to see her mad face^^. Its as cute as a mad Chihuahua.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Dec 4th, '11, 21:57

Ahaha. Make her made to see her cute. You sound like one of them kdrama sadistic leads. :P

Jang Nara has the same "mouse" look what's-her-name from BOF has, without being annoying like her.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Dec 4th, '11, 23:17

Na i'm not such a jerk^^. If i had to compare me to a dramacharacter, then i would be little bit like the male lead from "Man who can't get married". Not so extreme as him, but similar. I had a few conversations like:
Female1: "You weren't in a relationship for a long time?"
Female2: "Yes, i'm just waiting for the right and warm man."
Female1: "So it's just like a car, which is parked in a garage til the right time to start."
Female2: "Yes. Hehehehe"
Male: "Are you sure, that if the car stays too long in the garage, the motor doesn't get rusty?"

or

Female: " Oh you like spaghetti?"
Male "Spaghetti? To be precise spaghetti is about 1,8 mm thick, the thin ones like this are called spaghettini"
Female tries slowly to escape.

Yes, i'm sometimes like this guy...but in most cases i can control myself^^.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Dec 5th, '11, 00:31

The brutally honest type. Too honest for your own good sometimes. And the good of others. XD

Biozombie

Post by Biozombie » Dec 5th, '11, 00:52

Orion1986 wrote: we actually have TWO good guys and no jerks. And a kick ass kid, which I loved.
Can't agree with that. A guy who proposes to another guys girlfriend is not a good guy in my book, I would consider him a jerk (in fact I'd consider him a complete cunt to be honest). Agree about the kid though.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Dec 5th, '11, 02:58

,Yes, he is no angel, but far from the evil guy-type away. He didn't exactly pursue her as soon as he knew, that she has a bf. To confess, if someone has already a partner is not a big foul. To actively and persistent hit on somebody, although he/she has a partner is another thing.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Dec 5th, '11, 03:09

True. Confessing to someone who is seeing another person is not bad. You have to do it so you won't have any regrets. Trying to get them when you know they have someone and aren't interested, that is bad.
There is a fine line between being too good and simply giving up too easily and being a coward. I think that getting it out of your system is good. It also shows respect to the person you like to let them know it.

The usual lead or sometimes second lead of kdramas is someone who purposely treats the woman badly and emotionally and/or physically abuses her because he's "passionate" or "in love" or "in pain". No such thing in this series.

Biozombie

Post by Biozombie » Dec 5th, '11, 09:25

Yes but there is big a difference between letting someone you like know about it and what he did. If he'd have just told her he liked and would be there if things didn't work out, then that would have been fine. But he abused his position as her boss to get her to the restaurant, he used her love for his daughter as a weapon and proposed to her knowing she already had a boyfriend. Then when he was politely rejected (when she should have told him to go pick his teeth with a pneumatic drill), instead of being gracious, he said he'd ask once more in some kind of pathetic ultimatum. As far as I'm concerned, these aren't the actions of a good guy. Maybe I was being a bit extreme in calling him a complete cunt as he could have been worse but he's a cunt all the same.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Dec 5th, '11, 13:46

I don't see it that way. He did not use his love for his daughter as a weapon. He was frank with her that he wants a good woman as her mom.
He could have been a jerk and told her he loves her and that she's amazing. But the man was honest about what kind of a marriage he wanted.

Trying your best to fulfill something important to you is not mean when you give the other person choices and don't pressure them in some disrespectful way.
Laying out all your truths and honest thoughts on the table for them rather than being quiet about it all is only admirable when the chances are so bleak for you.

The woman had a choice. No one was forcing her and she knew well enough he is a man who can take a no and not hold grudges.
Just because she looked cute and uncomfortable is not enough reason to call the guy mean. Her reactions don't define his methods.

As for the ultimatum, the couple weren't exactly being passionate. He doesn't know ones private life. Maybe it was casual. One last try was what the man would feel like he tried his best if he did it.
When you get to that age and have a child, being all bashful and romantic and hoping for wuv or for her to come running into your arms is not something most men think about or try to achieve.

He appreciated the woman as a person, appreciated the love she showed for a child that wasn't even her own and thought that a woman like that would be someone he could trust and love.
Saying it to her clearly and telling her he'll do all he can do to make sure he tried his best is simple honesty to an adult woman who can choose how she rejects him. That's how I see it at least.

As for "getting her to the restaurant", the man wanted to do things in a way he was comfortable so that he could express himself better, since he knew he'd get a rejection anyway, as it seems.
He didn't blackmail her or actively harm the woman in any way. She's a friggin' adult. She won't break into a thousand pieces if someone pulls a little prank on her or make an honest confession.

He is someone very serious and laconic. For a man like that, at that age, to make any kind of romantic effort or open up is a pretty damn big thing. He didn't do it perfectly, but the man's heart was in a good place.
Personally, as a woman who is veeery unforgiving of any "cuntness" on guys, I would be very happy for a man to confess or propose like that. I'd feel like crap for rejecting them, but I'd respect them forever for it.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Dec 5th, '11, 14:15

The guy isn't that old, at least not in the western understanding. How old is he, 35? Ok in korean understanding its almost the same age as Methuselah, but still^^. i would describe him as "mature". And a mature man can still be romantic^^.

Biozombie

Post by Biozombie » Dec 5th, '11, 16:32

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one Orion.
Out of curiosity, as I am looking at it from the man's point of view and you are looking at this from the woman's point of view (which is understandable), how would you feel if the role's were reversed and it was a female boss trying to steal another woman's man using similar underhand tactics (except say for example using sex instead of marriage), would you consider her to be a cunt?

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Dec 5th, '11, 16:42

Its just a myth, that women and men have a different level of jealousy.

I have watched the first episode of BFB again and there is something interesting. Has somebody noticed how the people dance? They should be 20 something people, but they have the energy of 50 something -people.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Dec 5th, '11, 17:31

Extras, Silverman. They can't fake it so well and the music they add in such scenes comes later in order to record the voices.
So, when people dance in a series or a movie, they're dancing to music that isn't there. Some of them don't do it well enough. :P
Plus, you're supposed to focus on the lead characters. If everyone is dancing like mad, the shot gets too busy, I suppose.

And BZ, if a woman had told a guy she likes him and proposed the same way, I'd love her. But exactly in the same manner. I have a kid, I like you, you're good to her, I know you have someone, but I have to tell you this.
I would like her as a character in a drama and I'd like her as a person in real life. Because she would be using her honesty and still keeping her appropriate distance from actually hitting on the guy. So yes, I'd approve.

But you are giving me another situation here. You mention a woman trying to steal a man by underhanded tactics and only for sex. That has nothing to do with the situation in the series. Yes, such a woman would be a cunt.
And a guy who used dirty tricks (actual ones, not honesty) to get into a woman's pants even though he knew she did not want to, but forced her anyway, he'd be a major cunt too. Of course he would be. That's kind of a given.

What I am saying is that I don't find this man's tactics underhanded. I see an honest man who tried to make a romantic and slightly cheeky and cool proposal. He just told a woman who is involved he likes her and wants her.
He didn't try to ruin the other guy or actively make her angry at him or lie to her and he did not try to trick her into anything. For me to classify it as "trying to steal", there has to be something other than expressing true feelings.
He didn't force anything on her, neither did he imply any problems with her job if she did not accept. They had become friends by that point so his moves would not be misunderstood by her anyway. He liked her, he said it.

To me, that is a stand up person, be it a woman or a man, rich or poor, boss or employee. A lot of people drown their feelings or hurt others through actions because they are too scared to express those feelings. That's what I dislike.
There are people who let the ones they like slip away, sometimes even drive them away or to someone they don't really like, all because of their cowardice. They try to hide from the person they like and end up being dishonest to them.
A person who has the guts to tell someone they like them and speak in all honesty is the best person there is, in my opinion. They are true to their feelings, true to the person they care for and owe their confession to. I admire that a lot.

I guess it's a matter of principles and how one views things. We can't all like every type or person. Your principles and morals make him a cunt, mine make him a very decent person.

I personally prefer someone who is honest in such issues, even if it might cause awkward moments of rejection (and it's mighty brave of them to face those moments) to someone who keeps all that locked up and will always live with the "what if" and regret.

Biozombie

Post by Biozombie » Dec 5th, '11, 22:19

As you say, we obviously have different levels of morallity. To me he totally crossed the line into cuntdom by proposing which I, personally, see as completely different to just being honest and telling her his feelings, which as I said earlier would have been fine. Anyway, we could go back and forth forever. One thing I think we can agree on though is that it is a great series.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Dec 5th, '11, 23:38

True. It suffers from many cliches, but it does some very fresh things as well.

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Nov 17th, '12, 00:30

I am finally finishing up this drama.. I made it to episode 12 and will finish it this weekend. I think the ending will be weird because I can't see her ending up with either of the two guys. I wish there was more rivalry but its still good drama to watch! My fav part so far is in, I think episode 4 when Lee So Yeung
spills her coins on the President's floor! lol lol I laughed so hard on that one because he had to pick them up!
Oh and the little girl (President's daughter) is so cute too!