The Princess' Man (KBS2, 2011)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
Peggy

Post by Peggy » Nov 18th, '11, 07:27

I am still trying to watch this drama but I just can't see one episode right through to the end. I really love this drama but it is just too strong for me now and then. It is very emotional and I feel deeply for Jong and the Princess. So much time wasted at the beginning fo their marriage. She did come to love him though, which was a blessing for him.
Tonight was the execution scene and it reminded me of a similar scene in the Indian film 'Kama Sutra'. They used elephants instead of horses and it was very gruesome. Surely the Princess did not stay to see this. I hope not. What a dreadful man Suyang has turned out. He is quite ruthless I think Shin is drowning in his guilt at last. Too late for him now.
I think no happy ending but at least give me a satisfactory one after all my timidity trying to watch this tale.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Nov 30th, '11, 07:10

I finally saw the last few scenes of this drama. Certainly came crashing down to earth and no more emotional trauma. what a theatrical ending which totally melted away all the beginning buildup. there is no way Suyang and his Queen could ever have come sneaking around to see the cast out family and longtime enemy who had tried so hard to kill him. No way can I accept any remorse or tender feeling from Suyang. Made it all a farce for me since I am sure if he knew where they were he would have the soldiers right there to finally capture them and have a last execution.

It also made a mockery of all that we had endured with the bright and happy young man who turned into the raging vengeful person. Now he is like an empty shell with not even passion or gaiety to make him whole.
Even blindness would not make him so hollow.
Loved the drama until the end. At least I am no longer mesmerised.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 30th, '11, 07:37

Too bad, because for me it's one of the most powerful endings in dramas. All was true except for his blindness. Historical records show that Suyang did feel remorse by the end of his life, he searched his daughter to reconcile. He did meet her by sheer chance, just like here.
As writers said - making Seung-yu blind was the only way to stop his insanity from revenge.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Nov 30th, '11, 19:31

Ethlenn. Now that is interesting but I still hold my feelings re this ending. Also after reading what the two writers had to say re the history...it would seem that the two lovers never existed at all . He was actually not the son but the grandson of his screen father. So who were the ones who desperately wanted to kill Suyang?

Even the wiki details about King Sejo are not sure he had a daughter. If he did, why was she thrown out of the family. The other Royal princess was sent to be a slave. If there was a Seryoung, she was miles from the palace out in the country with two sons (from whom?) and never returned to her home ever again.There is enough to write another story and do another drama which would be quite as fascinating.

The writers did a great job changing the characters around and the cast was chosen so well. I did enjoy the drama it was just the ending that grated on me totally. I personally think that losing vision would never make anyone soft and pleasant. It would cause anger and resentment over fate being so unfair and Why Why?
I speak as one who is almost on that road. I do not smile and walk softly into that dark place.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 30th, '11, 19:38

Peggy, please, don't say that, please.

Suyang did have one daughter, the other one is apocryphal. And she (the real one) flew the palace with Kim Jongseo's grandson (in reality), they both had 2 sons. But those tragic two are clouded in mystery, they were running all their lives and truthfully little is known for sure.

I was lately pondering over your question, and I must say if I was filled with rage and vengeance like Seung-yu was, and if I went blind or handicapped, I'd probably re-evaluate everything. Maybe I would be suicidal, I don't know. Most likely.
There is a time gap between him in jail and him blind. We don't know how first months after he went blind looked like. Maybe he wanted to end his life also? Maybe he was enraged his vengeance had to stop like that? Or maybe he gave up knowing he has a kid now and devoted wife?
This drama leaves many things to us. I'm not trying to convince anyone to my point of view at all, just to reassure everyone.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Nov 30th, '11, 19:46

:-),

That's why we all love the dramas. We all have different takes on the stories and how the cast is acting and why we hardly ever have exactly the same appreciation.
I enjoy the different reactions and feel really pleased when someone else agrees with the way I feel. Mostly it is easier to adore the same actor but now and then we can love the same drama and that's all good.

Life goes on with or without us. Makes good sense to stay on for the ride as long as possible. Life is good it just takes a long time to realise that the only way to live is every five minutes as they go by. Not easy to do when you have to go by rules and work situations, but it's really all in the mind as to how you meet life each day.

I think life is good. My only motto is 'Never give up' It gets me through every situation that looks like a deep dark hole.

taniyama_mai

Post by taniyama_mai » Jan 24th, '12, 12:20

hello everyone :)
can anyone share with me viki eng sub softsubs for ep 14 until 24?
i can't find it because of filesharing problem with MU and FS..
pleaseeeeeeee someone
thank you in advance :wub:

RadialOmens

Post by RadialOmens » Feb 4th, '12, 14:22

I wouldn't say that The Princess' Man was my favorite drama ever, but it is the first one that inspired me to learn how to make an MV - mostly because I just loved the song combination I came up with for it. The sad thing is I spent 10 hours on the darn thing and no one I know in real life watches Kdrama so they don't really care about it.

This show really went above and beyond my expectations. Also, I had heard somewhere that the ending was the opposite of what it was (I'm not going to say what it was) so it really took me by surprise.

Oh, and I thought I should include the link to the MV since I sorta rambled about it. I'm thinking of doing another.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3hoSR4vTP0
MV contains spoilers.

chuegl

Post by chuegl » Feb 4th, '12, 15:41

Hi RadialOmens

I am now downloading you youtube video so I can watch it a little later without buffering.

I too was disappointed with the ending to The Princess' Man. I download quite a lot of Asian TV dramas and usually try to view them in the order downloaded, but I jumped WAY ahead to TPM because of the rave reviews. For the most part the show was worth the acclaim, and the music was Oh so sweet - haunting actually. But I got a sense in maybe Ep23, that the story was being rushed. It was as if the writers suddenly realised that the show had to end, soon, and end on a certain note; so they started introducing certain "things" to justify certain happenings - not necessarily a certain ending!

Also I rate all these shows after viewing, from 1 to 5 with 5 being Outstanding in a number of areas including storyline, acting, continuity/consistency, passion, relevance of title. This was the first Korean drama, after Dae Jang Geum, that I was inclined to give a 5. But whereas I did rate Dae Jang Geum a 5, I eventually downgraded TPM to a 4 - primarily because of the ending!

And certain scenes, which were maybe intended to reflect realism and "trueism", I simply ascribed to the writer expressing "over the top" tendencies. I think the show was too cruel, unnecessarily so, at times. [ I do not like blood and gore, generally..]

To taniyama_mai - Did you get the soft subs you wanted as yet? I did not wait for all 24 viki subs; they were taking too long and I wanted to burn to DVD and get on with watching the drama. So I ended up downloading the hardsubbed videos from youtube and included them on my DVD. They were good, the only issue was that translation was slightly different in some instances - this was expected given that it was someone else translating. So you got different spellings of some names and places, but not a major distraction.

Anyhow, I now have VIKi to Ep22 and AT Eps 20>24 SRTs, so if you do not want to get the youtube hardsubs, and its is OK for me to upload the SRTs here, i will..

taniyama_mai

Post by taniyama_mai » Feb 9th, '12, 07:47

hello, chuegl :)
its okay... i already got TPM softsubs from someone in Soompi...
btw, thank you so much for your concern...
i really appreciate it :wub: :wub: :wub: