Myeong Wol the Spy (KBS2, 2011)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Aug 17th, '11, 10:14

I read about that too. They actually changed the script to mirror their "interpretation" of HYS. That is abuse on camera and very unprofessional indeed.

Edit: I just read a translation of Eric's opinions on the issue. I love the guy. He manages to comment on everything, place himself on them, reveal what went down, blame the ones need blaming and he did it in such a polite and "hidden" manner that no one can blame him for saying those things.
It's what we call "poutania" in greek. Meaning "whoreness". As in, being cunning and managing to manipulate words, people, situations in a way where they don't know you are manipulating them. It's street smarts. And Eric seems to have it. Reading between the lines of his tweet was awesome.

esmer86
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by esmer86 » Aug 17th, '11, 21:03

hummmm...wonder what Eric said. Gotta do some searching. I think for now I'm gonna put a hold on this drama. There is so much stuff going on right now with that show that its ruining it for me. I'll just wait until its ending at a possible 18 episodes and watch it then, when maybe, just maybe I can stop seeing articles of the whole charade.

I gotta give it to HYS. She came back to put up with more crap. From just reading the recap from Dramabeans I could tell the major "slap in your face" coincidence they put on ep.11. I thought they: PD, Cast, HYS came together to finish the show but they are just causing more of a riot but just in silence. I would have been pissed off. Atleast she tried to redeem the whole sisuation by coming back and agreed to finished of the show with the PD and cast. :glare:

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Aug 17th, '11, 21:33

The full translated article is on ockoala's or what's-her-name website. I never step into that place, but my mom is reading all gossip she can find so she found it for me.

Jav_sol

Post by Jav_sol » Aug 18th, '11, 00:45

esmer86 wrote:I think for now I'm gonna put a hold on this drama. There is so much stuff going on right now with that show that its ruining it for me.
This is true for me too. I haven't cared to watch the next episode. I feel I can't concentrate on the show without thinking about all the stuff going on off screen.

Off topic:
Orion1986 wrote:It's what we call "poutania" in greek. Meaning "whoreness". As in, being cunning and managing to manipulate words, people, situations in a way where they don't know you are manipulating them. It's street smarts.
I don't get how being a whore is connected to being cunning or manipulative. :scratch:
I think you can be cunning or manipulative without being a whore.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Aug 18th, '11, 04:42

You can say however bad the system is and that no one is fighting it and someone has to begin. This is NOT the way to begin a fight. HYS knows full well how productions run in Korea. She wasn't forced to sign the contract. They lied about the contract, but you have to deal with that through the judicial system. Two wrongs don't make a right. They bend the contract by filling it with loop holes but she signed it. I don't think anyone has ever worked a Mon-Fri 9-5 schedule on a live shoot especially for a main cast. EVER. Anyone who can guarantee that is a liar. I don't know what she was thinking when she signed the contract. She seemed to have lost it also when she flew out of the country. Then found out she was getting sued from all directions and flew back again. Just because she intends to step down doesn't mean shirking responsibilities won't provide consequences. Since production was so unbearable for her that she left. How come it's bearable for her now to come back and work again? The environment will probably be the same. I doubt KBS would change anything.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Aug 18th, '11, 05:06

Off topic:
Being a "whore" is also a slang word for being born with street smarts. To be a successful "courtesan" in a sense, you had to be a very strong and very smart woman in older days.
Even less justice for such women back then. They had to be bright and able to manipulate men as much as needed. To gain protection, information etc. Courtesan spies existed too.

"Poutania" is the ability to be tactful, if you will. If i.e you want to insult someone who insulted you, but manage to refrain from saying something insulting while making your point, that's tactful.
It's the kind of smarts that doesn't place you in an vulnerable place. A way to do what needs to be done without suffering much backlash. Courtesans needed good networking, not enemies.

It's a very positive word and we say it to each other a lot, even to men. Greeks. Using insulting language with good meanings and to show affection is kind of the norm over there. Ahaha.
As for the topic, seirin, yes. Someone can go to court and try to fight it, if they trust the unfair system. But if you've reached the point where you're popping pills and are about to collapse, how can you stay?
Should she have stayed, gone on IV, ended up in a hospital and suck it up while waiting for the veeeery lengthy court proceedings (if they ever happened, which they wouldn't) and die in the meantime?
I really don't see your logic in this. When your life is in danger, your sanity, your health, you walk out and take care of yourself. Should an abused wife stay with the husband beating her and wait for court?

As for the contract, she won't be the first one fooled. If everyone, including your own company, puts on a smiley face and assures you you will not be overworked, would you not complain about fraud then?
As for thinking "anyone has ever worked with a humane schedule on a live shoot", well, this sounds an awful lot like "What? Women never voted! How dare she ask for that?". See the common ground there?
Yet again, you are saying that because this is the norm, she is being a diva for wanting to be treated like a human being. And you are saying that she is the bad one for being fooled into signing a bad contract.

As for coming back, the production won't dare be abusive now. All eyes are on them and there are people who know how bad things can get on live shoots. If they give her ANY ground for being justified, it's game over for them.
They are also afraid they'll lose more money so they'll suck it up and treat her better, even if it's fake, to guarantee she doesn't walk again. Until she finishes the show, she is safe because she gave them this scare and ran for it.

Honestly, try and put yourself in her shoes for a moment. Would you stick around and be abused when you felt like you would go mad or collapse and risk serious health and mental problems? Just so the co-workers won't hate you?
If you say yes, I can only assume you either can't imagine what it is like or then you have unique tastes in how you want to be treated. Because people have a limit. When they feel they are reaching it, they back off and save themselves.

P.S: And unless that was a mighty spotty lens, her legs had at least 3-4 big bruises when she was photographed at the airport. If a near nervous breakdown and injured body are not justified reasons to run for it, I don't know what is.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Aug 18th, '11, 05:53

Orion1986 wrote:Off topic:
Being a "whore" is also a slang word for being born with street smarts. To be a successful "courtesan" in a sense, you had to be a very strong and very smart woman in older days.
Even less justice for such women back then. They had to be bright and able to manipulate men as much as needed. To gain protection, information etc. Courtesan spies existed too.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/whore
noun
1.a woman who engages in promiscuous sexual intercourse, usually for money; prostitute; harlot; strumpet.

verb (used without object)
2.to act as a whore.
3.to consort with whores.
4. Obsolete . to make a whore of; corrupt; debauch.
Orion1986 wrote: "Poutania" is the ability to be tactful, if you will. If i.e you want to insult someone who insulted you, but manage to refrain from saying something insulting while making your point, that's tactful.
It's the kind of smarts that doesn't place you in an vulnerable place. A way to do what needs to be done without suffering much backlash. Courtesans needed good networking, not enemies.
Is Poutania even English?
Orion1986 wrote: As for the topic, seirin, yes. Someone can go to court and try to fight it, if they trust the unfair system. But if you've reached the point where you're popping pills and are about to collapse, how can you stay?
Should she have stayed, gone on IV, ended up in a hospital and suck it up while waiting for the veeeery lengthy court proceedings (if they ever happened, which they wouldn't) and die in the meantime?
She didn't have the leave the country! She was doing okay when she refused to show up for work. And even if she did decide to show up for work, she could just do the normal hours and leave. Hell with the deadline. "This is the best I can and will do, if you don't like it, too bad". Even when after negotiations didn't go through, she shouldn't have fled. She was a coward running away. It's when she left the country that all hell broke lose. It's like "I don't care anymore. They can do whatever they want." She doesn't even realize the consequence of the whole production if she left. She's not playing a minor role they can just write her off so she doesn't have any responsibilities. If she was doing a minor role it wouldn't be such a big issue. She seems to have forgotten she's the main actress.
Orion1986 wrote: I really don't see your logic in this. When your life is in danger, your sanity, your health, you walk out and take care of yourself. Should an abusive wife stay with the husband beating her and wait for court?
That doesn't make sense but I know what you are trying to say. "Should a victimized wife stay with abusive husband". The answer would be to leave and report to the police. Not run fly away from the country and hide.
Orion1986 wrote: As for the contract, she won't be the first one fooled. If everyone, including your own company, puts on a smiley face and assures you you will not be overworked, would you not complain about fraud then?
Frankly, if I worked in the industry and know their ins and outs. I wouldn't trust them. If I was a newbie desperate to make it big, then I would sign anything.
Orion1986 wrote: As for thinking "anyone has ever worked with a humane schedule on a live shoot", well, this sounds an awful lot like "What? Women never voted! How dare she ask for that?". See the common ground there?
I don't see the common ground here. Everyone who worked a live shoot knows how hectic schedule are. I think it's more like "Women have never voted before. So you wouldn't expect go vote tomorrow because you know women aren't allowed to vote". If you wanted to change things, you would have to create awareness by gathering force. Getting people together to sign petitions, do strikes on the street/blue house/whatever, make yourself heard through TV or newspapers, ads, online.
Orion1986 wrote: Yet again, you are saying that because this is the norm, she is being a diva for wanting to be treated like a human being. And you are saying that she is the bad one for being fooled into signing a bad contract.
I am saying she was acting like a Diva because of her comment at the airport. She sounded like she didn't care about anybody or the consequences of what happened. She was only considering herself. It's like..."I don't need this job. I'm quitting". Even regular jobs you need to give two weeks notice. I just read her apology statement to all the cast and crew and saw photos of her at the airport. She seemed to really regret what she did so I guess my take on her isn't so much a diva now. She just made a HUGE mistake. I'm not denying KBS is at fault as well, but HYS isn't any better. They're both at fault for making wrong decisions.
Orion1986 wrote: As for coming back, the production won't dare be abusive now. All eyes are on them and there are people who know how bad things can get on live shoots. If they give her ANY ground for being justified, it's game over for them.
They are also afraid they'll lose more money so they'll suck it up and treat her better, even if it's fake, to guarantee she doesn't walk again. Until she finishes the show, she is safe because she gave them this scare and ran for it.
I doubt KBS gives any hoot about HYS's rebellion. Although she is a main character, KBS could still easily write her off. They're probably just going to be careful about publicity. There are a lot of artists around and many craving for opportunities to make it into show biz. Losing HYS isn't going to create any dents at all on them.
Orion1986 wrote: Honestly, try and put yourself in her shoes for a moment. Would you stick around and be abused when you felt like you would go mad or collapse and risk serious health and mental problems? Just so the co-workers won't hate you?
If you say yes, I can only assume you either can't imagine what it is like or then you have unique tastes in how you want to be treated. Because people have a limit. When they feel they are reaching it, they back off and save themselves.
I can't say I have crazy schedules like her. I've worked 55-60 hours a week before but I don't have a huge problem with that since its a no brain job as long as it's not on going for several months. I don't really have co-workers who hate me. They say I should take a break even if I work too hard. I have had days I fear going to work when I did programming and had problems. But I still went to work anyway and pray I find a solution to the problem. I wouldn't run out of the country to hide because I couldn't find a solution but I do feel like digging a hole and hiding in it and hope a miracle happens. I have a friend who did programming for a Bank. She was working on a program for 16 hrs a day, 6 days a week for over a year. She got so tired and wanted to take a vacation. She didn't even want pay in lieu of vacation. She was stressed and frustrated but she didn't up and quit. She hung on until the project was completed before she left.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Aug 18th, '11, 06:30

First of all, I clearly describe "poutania" is a greek word, which is why I use the quotation marks, although I'm sure you would like to point out how I am using those in the wrong way as well.
I also explained how it is used as a slang word in my country and why that is. I tried to make my definition of it as english-friendly as possible since you non-greeks need a clear explanation of it.

Pasting definitions will not mean you know my language better than me, unfortunately, even if I use that word to make the definition easier in english. Comment on my opinions and not my language, would you?
If you didn't understand my definition, ask me to explain it again, because it means I did not explain it in a way all will understand it, instead of pointing out how lacking I am. That lacks the tactfulness I mentioned.

As for your comments, we clearly don't see eye to eye on this and you are free to have whatever opinions you like as I am free to tell you I think they are inhumane and uneducated.
If you feel working like a dog should be the norm and that everyone hanging in there and doing it, risking health and sanity, is a hero (even if not being a parent), fine. I just disagree.

And to complete the "poutania" definition once and for all, jav_sol, if a friend has managed to write a good assignment without having read all the material, you might say:

"You actually got an A by creative writing and finding related articles online, even if you didn't read that last chapter? You sly fox".

Well, replace "sly fox" with "little whore" and you have the definition. Like I said, high class courtesans were smart women and knew how to "work" people and situations.
In Greece, using curse language in a positive light is normal. If you call a friend a bastard in a playful way, you show intimacy and trust. Trust that they won't be offended.
Koreans do it too, in a sense. At least in series. They use phrases like "you rascal", "you punk" with friends and family all the time. Even to say positive things to them.

I call my mom a "little whore", my brother, I've called my friends jerks and a-holes and all of them to show how much I admire and or love them.
And I've been called those things by them as well. Every time I do well in school by being quick and creative, my own mom calls me a "little whore".

"You cute little bastard" is not offending to someone you love. Neither is "You did it again, you little whore. I'm proud of you". We're just like that. ^^
In fact, me and some DA friends here call each other by "the b word" all the time. Again, as a joke and to show we're comfortable with each other.

esmer86
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by esmer86 » Aug 18th, '11, 11:32

Orion1986 wrote: I call my mom a "little whore", my brother, I've called my friends jerks and a-holes and all of them to show how much I admire and or love them.
And I've been called those things by them as well. Every time I do well in school by being quick and creative, my own mom calls me a "little whore".

"You cute little bastard" is not offending to someone you love. Neither is "You did it again, you little whore. I'm proud of you". We're just like that. ^^
In fact, me and some DA friends here call each other by "the b word" all the time. Again, as a joke and to show we're comfortable with each other.
Ohhhhh.....Ori, how your comments entertain me so. :mrgreen: Atleast for the word "poutania" I get what you are saying. I wouldn't go as far as calling my mother "a little whore" unless I wanted to get a right smack on the face but I do play around with my friends like that. It is just another term of affection.

Yeah read that article as well from Eric and he did kinda went around the bush a little with this one. I really admire the guy for trying to put is 411 on the sisuation without causing anymore bull from him or on anyone else but also managed to say what he wanted. So "Poutania" of him.

Issy

Post by Issy » Aug 18th, '11, 11:52

Orion1986 wrote:Honestly, try and put yourself in her shoes for a moment. Would you stick around and be abused when you felt like you would go mad or collapse and risk serious health and mental problems? Just so the co-workers won't hate you?
In this I DO sympathise with her. I sighed on my contract's dotted line knowing fully what hours I am getting myself into. but the work was so much mentally (and little bit physically) demanding that I saw myself on verge of depression and anxiety. it's hard when you count days on Monday morning to feel happier that you will get out of there on Friday afternoon and combined with constant miss treating of your boss, I just had enough and resigned. till now, never like to go to areas around that place. so it takes a lot to be back on the scene when when the last place on earth you want to be is there.

@esmer
:lol look at your ava. made my day. maybe I should go back to my Park Kyu sigi :wub:

CresseliaBeth

Post by CresseliaBeth » Aug 18th, '11, 12:10

The episode from the start really caught my interest and I'm glad that the lead actress' problems were solved so that the drama can continue! It's really worth watching... :wub:
The chemistry between them is unbelievable <3

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Aug 18th, '11, 15:14

Everyone risks health and sanity. It just depends on the degree and the duration. I'm used to grueling hours. If you want something, you have to earn it. I wanted money for tuition and investing. I'll work my ass for it. I also paid tuition to have them kill me as well. At times, I hardly get much sleep especially near exam time. I would be up finishing up projects or studying. During rest of the time, I would be either working on assignments, studying or reading. School was more harsh than working environment. However working environment requires more responsibility. If I don't finish a project on time, my grade won't be as good as expected, consequences are grades. If I don't finish a project for work on time. It weighs heavier because it's a responsibility I'll have to shoulder and a promise made to try to get it done. I got paid to do the work. I can say I've sometimes slept few hours in a day while working and going to school. But those were in spurts. I lack sleep, it accumulates and I pass out and sleep a long time. I slack a bit and the whole process repeats itself on the next cycle of assignments and tests. You can call it inhumane, but everyone goes through it. Especially ones who are not the top of the class and require more time to do things. Some manage their time better and don't have to do as crazy hours as I do but that doesn't mean they didn't have to put in the time as well.

Regarding your English. I am just being straight forward with it. I tend to be more proper with English. I use slang sometimes but to certain degrees. I get offended if sometime says improper things. Like at one of my jobs someone called me "Idiot". I don't know them well enough and they don't know me well enough to call me anything. Even if co-workers do know each other well enough, it shouldn't be used. She might have used it out of habit and meant it in a friendly way. But it's inappropriate. It's verbal abuse in a work environment. Verbal abuse inappropriate language in working environment is not tolerated in Canada. I have used "idiot" but to certain people I'm close with and not towards co-workers. You can call me old fashioned but some of the slangs used really irk me. Especially hearing the younger generation using F word in every sentence. This might be the norm but I really question what this world is coming to. There are a lot of other synonyms to use.

On another note. I read Erics comments late last night. I started watching the drama for HYS because I didn't like Eric. But after the twitter I have more respect for Eric than I do HYL. I thought he was an arrogant talentless guy. But his acting of Kang Woo was really good. Maybe he's doing himself O_o. I still think he seems a bit arrogant but my impression of him isn't so bad anymore. He seems like a pretty nice guy who cares about his co-workers. From the way he described the environment. It wasn't the best but it wasn't that bad either. They got scripts ahead of time with minor last minute changes. The PD wasn't verbally abusive. The only part that seems to be the killer was the hours of work. That seems to be the main issue. Like he says, it can't be easily rectified. It will cost a lot of money to change get away from live shooting. I've studied a bit of management. Time vs Cost vs Quality. If time is increased, quality may or may not increase but costs will definitely increase. At the end, money talks. No one wants to run a losing business. I don't think anything is going to change even after HYS's fiasco.

Regarding hating a job. I have hated doing a job before. I quit because I couldn't stand it anymore. It was taking a toll on me mentally. The job required me to harass people and I hated doing it. I felt so bad doing the job and how things ended, I didn't even want to walk near the area. But after awhile, all things come to pass, and I didn't have a problem going near the area again.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Aug 23rd, '11, 07:11

The 12th episode is better, than imagined. Well at least the onset awkwardness, wasn't as strong as i expected.

Btw. does anyone know, which movie it is in episode 12 on the mark of 36:11 ?

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Aug 23rd, '11, 07:32

Silverman wrote:The 12th episode is better, than imagined. Well at least the onset awkwardness, wasn't as strong as i expected.

Btw. does anyone know, which movie it is in episode 12 on the mark of 36:11 ?
The umbrella scene is apparently from Temptation of a Wolf.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Aug 23rd, '11, 07:33

Thank you.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Aug 23rd, '11, 08:19

Aahaha. It was the scene that scared my mom and made her gasp in horror in her room. Kang Dong Won creeps her out.

Unless you want a good laugh, don't watch that movie. It's a shallow and messed up work, written by a 19-year-old fangirl.
Who, for some reason, got admiration from other teen fangirls and elevated to a goddess for her God awful writing skills.

This and DoReMiFaSoLaSiDo are the worst Korean movies I've seen and they are both based on her manhwas. Ahaha.
Man, the laughs I had with how much this film sucked. I'm so glad Kang Dong Won never repeated that kind of a choice.

The movie is a half-assed "melo" about a not-amazing girl falling for a tough not-amazing guy within 5 minutes. And it's not even showing why these people are awesome or how they fall in love.
And then enters her biological brother who has a crush on her... Angst, shallowness, sudden illnesses coupled with incest peril and bromance. It's got every trick in the book to "move" fangirls.

The first scene that made me laugh to death was when the tough guy locked the girl in his car and wouldn't let her go. She struggled with the door. To get out of a convertible with its top down...
This is the work that unleashed fangirl Hell on Kang Dong Won. The man is still running away from that. One work that is fangirl magnet enough can unleash them. Like poor Min Ho and BOF.

kasanje

Post by kasanje » Aug 24th, '11, 04:00

Loving the series so far, very funny. Does anyone know what those brown stuffed animals are called? They are shown repeatedly throughout the show in Eric's house. I think they're really cute.

Edit: here's what I'm referring to. Anyone know what it's called?
Last edited by kasanje on Aug 26th, '11, 02:49, edited 1 time in total.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Aug 24th, '11, 14:26

I liked the episodes 12 and 13, but I think, that the story could be better constructed.
We had this whole part, that he wanted to propose to her, but then KW gets the information, that MW isn't who she says she is in ep 8(i think it was 8 ) and dumps her. But now we have exactly the same situation again in episode 13. I just hope that they can proceed without KW dumping MW again and then falling for her AGAIN. Its kinda repetitive, even if KW now has almost all the facts straight.

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Aug 24th, '11, 20:16

^ Mmm that's true but I kinda like the dark turn the show's taken. I like Kang-woo being self-destructive, and I like that they upped the stakes so that even Ryu has lost patience. I'm excited about next week's episodes.

genkichan

Myung.Wol.The.Spy Japanese subtitles

Post by genkichan » Sep 3rd, '11, 12:28

Hi,

Does anyone know if there are Japanese subtitles for Myung Wol The Spy and where they can be found?

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Sep 5th, '11, 20:25

Realy, can they end it? I thought it will be 16 episodes and today checked only end to finish it once and for all and saw preview on next one! GHRRR!! :cussing: I only want to check what option they choose for this handsome spy from North and how scrolls plot will resolve (as it is kind of weak).
And to think that for a moment I was pleasently surprised
when I saw Eric hit by bullet
but not such luck :cry: :glare:

this animal from picture is it not something from one of anime from Ghibili studio?

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Sep 6th, '11, 16:06

The last two episodes were completely crazy. So much whiplash. Sigh.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Sep 7th, '11, 08:47

shiofmedea wrote: this animal from picture is it not something from one of anime from Ghibili studio?
They look a lot like the the things from "My Neighbor Totoro", but I dont think, that they are from there.

After this ending i still have the question: What the hell has happened to the KSA-storyline? Its kinda vanished without a trace or explanation. And the fact, that its about north korean spies, it plays just a minor role for the most episodes of this drama. In the first ~8 Episodes of the drama they show North Korea, north korean military, KSA...so it has the feeling of a spy-romcom. But after the writer was switched, there were almost no traces of the spy-theme.
It's like a drama about a war between cats and dogs, but the dogs vanish in the middle of the drama. For the rest of the drama you just see cats and the dogs are casually mentioned 2-3 times every episode.

shiofmedea

Post by shiofmedea » Sep 11th, '11, 16:46

one dog survived and went hunting, no doubt to take revange for ereased plot..
and it started so promissing :glare:

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » Sep 11th, '11, 18:55

The writers completely screwed up. If this is their so-called "responsibility to viewers", then I hope they are out of work for a long long time.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 21st, '11, 23:13

If I knew what this drama was supposed to be I could talk about it with some sense. Is it spy melodrama? Is it romantic drama? Is it total comic farce?

The writing is total mashed potatoes. No flavour and no taste. No wonder Eric looks lost most of the time. He will have to get something good pretty fast to make up for this. I can't get into a Korean first time writer's mind so I have no way of knowing how they present North Korean characters. I am beginning to think it is farce but the writing is not that clever. Eric is given conflicting orders of how to act I think. Ryu is told not to act, and girl can't act at all.
It's like a box of confetti being slowly spilled out.....

vasou

Post by vasou » Sep 25th, '11, 13:34

In general, I enjoyed the series.
The plot as a whole, didn't make a lot of sense , and the last 2 episodes were really bad, but, yes, I did enjoy it .
In-Ah was hilarious, the wooden North-Spy had his own charm, and the main couple was lovable. I admit, although I love Eric as an actor (damn you Que sera sera), and though the second male lead was not that good, I had a dilemma.
I was rooting both of the couples. Once KW, once CR. And I only dropped it when In Ah started acting hilarious, then, I was shipping her with CR.

Considering everything this drama have been through, then...
But I want to comment a little bit about the whole HYS scandal...

I don't think it is as ''black and white'' as we see. I want to highlight some points from my own point of view:

- Good or bad (bad) , the working conditions in Korean industry, are already known.I doubt that there is a Korean actor out there that doesn't know how hard is it to deal with them.
If anyone feels that can't do this, then... he just shouldn't. If their ''ματαιοδοξία' '( vanity? -> Orion is it correct?) is more important than their health, then who is at fault for that ?
(Its like going to live in Saudi Arabia, and whine because I have to wear a Burga, and can't move around without a male with me.
Is it unhuman? Yes. Is it violating human rights? Yes. Someone should do something to change this ? Yes. But who choose to go there? Me.)

Why HYS, or any HYS didn't act like , Ariel Lin for example? (Ariel Lin stopped doing dramas for 2 years, due to health conditions,and will stop, and retire, now, at her 30, for the same reason: Busy schedule of dramas).

- Actors, and in general celebrities, have to sacrifice things, in order to gain things. Some actors shave their heads, some others gain/lose looooots of weight, some others are away from their families for as long as the filming lasts, their private life is no longer that private, etc, etc. This is how story goes. You can't be an actor or a celebrity, gain tones of money (money that I wouldn't never get in my whole life), having thousands of fans loving you AND expect to have the luxury of a plain-easy life like the rest of the world. If you want that, go and be an office worker. You are given the choices, and you make your mind

- However, despite all that, HYS did choose to go on with filming this drama, and requested working less, from the start.
I was really applauding what she did back then. Even when she showed up late in the filming scene (and people were calling her ''Diva'') , even then, I was talking (to my PC screen) and yelling : "well done girl, work for what you agreed, not for what they want to ..."". and ''Suck it loosers'' and French like that.
What I didn't like with all the HYS scandal, is the way she handled things later..And this means: leaving in the middle , to go to LA, leaving the rest of the crew and the cast ''hanged'' - depending on her.
If she were sick, she should go to hospital (just like - unfortunately - many others did) and don't show up until she gets better.
(reports from a hospital, in case of lawsuits, are much more valid to ''not being in a good health'' than a trip that lasts 24 hours(?), in less than 2 days.)
She should sue the production company for violating the contract conditions, and end this, there.
It's not that I don't understand her, or I ''dislike'' her, I find her arguments totally legit. But I dissaprove her ways.
I have been in her shoes, and I didn't earn the salary she did. And I am not exaggerating.

- Korean actors in general SHOULD do something about it . Every one of them, should ask for normal working hours. If them are violated by the contract -> Sue. It should be a massive action to this.
I doubt that Korean justice will favor the production company.
I remember a story of an actor ( I can't remember his name) that he did extra 4 episodes for a drama, and they didn't pay him back. So, he asked more money for these 4 episodes, than he took for the rest 16
. What happened? He won the case in the court. Not that this hadn't collateral damages, it had. He was ''banned'' from production companies for 2 years.
But imagine every A-list (and not only) actor doing the same.? Who is going to win? Production companies? I doubt.
You don't win without revolution. That's what history have teached us. Don't expect that the conditions will change, with a clap of the fingers. Neither with '' I take the plane and go to LA''

-I don't dislike HYS although it seems i am not favoring her here. I actually sympathize her. Every person has a breaking point, and she probably reached hers.
But why people should wait until they reach their breaking point? Why people are voluntarily get into this mess?
If you have an abusive husband, you should wait until reaching your limits,and having your bones broken, and finally put a knife in his chest to stop him?

- Outcome : Nothing really came out of this. Working conditions are STILL unhuman, she has to deal with lawsuits, her career is probably over, and that's it.
At least, from the photos I have seen around internet, she seems healthy and happy, and that's what's most important.

Sorry for my bad English

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 25th, '11, 15:09

- Korean actors in general SHOULD do something about it .
Like what? They don't even have Actors Union like in US. If their management company doesn't move the finger all they can do is to do what HYS did. Or just die from overworking.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 25th, '11, 15:29

That's the thing. If actors with power, A-list ones formed a union, then people could sue and be sure for fair trials. There must be SOME people of influence that want to help.

Vasou, unfortunately, money and production companies run the world. No actor would find justice without compelling enough evidence. South Korea seems as corrupted as Greece.
Which is why I understand Han Ye Seul. I've said it before, if your own well-being is at stake you walk out. Especially when you know you can't find support and justice for your problem.

And although being an actor does come with certain "rules", it shouldn't have so many. Because it is still a job. Basic human rights, health and privacy should still be important.
An actor shouldn't have to sacrifice privacy, sanity, the right to good health, a human schedule and personal life just because people want more money and netizens are psychos.

But the people who make the money have a nice deal with the people who don't punish them, for making the money. Unless a lot of influential people and actors and management companies do something, nothing will change.
However, I do hope that any actor/idol/singer etc who can't take anymore will do exactly what Ye Seul did. Because I prefer they leave and mess things up than become depressed and suffer. Or end up hospitalized, like recently.

I mean, Song Ji Hyo stuck with it. She used medication to boost her stamina (to cope with the schedule) and then she got a reaction to them and was hospitalized with a friggin' oxygen mask.
She got sick, returned to filming despite it and then had the reaction to it. Probably from overuse of the medication to make her run in hyperdrive mode. I mean, does it have to come to that?
Does the schedule and filming not get ruined when the person has reached this state? Be it because someone left or because the ended up in a hospital, it's the system's own fault for it.

vasou

Post by vasou » Sep 25th, '11, 17:47

Ethlenn wrote:
- Korean actors in general SHOULD do something about it .
Like what? They don't even have Actors Union like in US. If their management company doesn't move the finger all they can do is to do what HYS did. Or just die from overworking.
The actors union is not created by God, its the actors that have to form it . And this is like Greeks, as Orion said, in some ways. Expecting something to be ready by others, without moving a finger.
Like in every profession, is the workers that form the Union, since law is guarantee their right to form it . I doubt that Korea is prohibiting the formation of Unions.So what are they waiting for?
Orion1986 wrote:That's the thing. If actors with power, A-list ones formed a union, then people could sue and be sure for fair trials. There must be SOME people of influence that want to help.

Vasou, unfortunately, money and production companies run the world. No actor would find justice without compelling enough evidence. South Korea seems as corrupted as Greece.
Which is why I understand Han Ye Seul. I've said it before, if your own well-being is at stake you walk out. Especially when you know you can't find support and justice for your problem.
Yes, obviously there be some of them who want to help, but none takes a step forward, and actually DO something.
Evidence, exist in that case. Is not about abuse or sexual abuse.Its about overworking hours, or hospitalization, which IS evidence.
As I told you, I doubt Justice will favor production companies. Just like this guy won the money thing, they can win as well, as long as it is violating their contracts.
And although being an actor does come with certain "rules", it shouldn't have so many. Because it is still a job. Basic human rights, health and privacy should still be important.
An actor shouldn't have to sacrifice privacy, sanity, the right to good health, a human schedule and personal life just because people want more money and netizens are psychos.
It's how things work. In some cases, you can't expect to have it all.It's like deciding to work as a prostutite, and expect to sleep only with the good-looking guys!
(I am not trying to make them even, for god's shake, but I am trying to tell that some certain ''professions'' come with the price and gains. For some is working condition, for other is danger, for other is money,etc)
And THEY have a choice:
Since someone offers you [that] you judge and decide:
- Here is the deal. You ll get x millions to do that movie, in [those] months, in that x place, and you have to gain 30kg. Want it or not?

Netizens, is another loooong story !
But the people who make the money have a nice deal with the people who don't punish them, for making the money. Unless a lot of influential people and actors and management companies do something, nothing will change.
However, I do hope that any actor/idol/singer etc who can't take anymore will do exactly what Ye Seul did. Because I prefer they leave and mess things up than become depressed and suffer. Or end up hospitalized, like recently.
If she can't take it, she shouldn't be there in a first place. Like me, I never became a doctor, coz I hate blood. I never rent a flat in the 5th floor, cause I have phobia from heights.
And that's why I mentioned Ariel Lin. She chose her health and her sanity over her career. She can't take the killer schedule, so she decided to retire and do only movies. Simple as that.
I understand HYS, I found her reasons totally legit as I told before, but I there are other things I should also weight.
I mean, Song Ji Hyo stuck with it. She used medication to boost her stamina (to cope with the schedule) and then she got a reaction to them and was hospitalized with a friggin' oxygen mask.
She got sick, returned to filming despite it and then had the reaction to it. Probably from overuse of the medication to make her run in hyperdrive mode. I mean, does it have to come to that?
Does the schedule and filming not get ruined when the person has reached this state? Be it because someone left or because the ended up in a hospital, it's the system's own fault for it.
And this is why I called about Mataiodoksia. Their chose their career over their health.Why?

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 25th, '11, 17:59

Well, what I meant was that the entire way we perceive of their job in South Korea should change. The industry and actors themselves need to teach netizens their limits.
If you have a girlfriend, say it. If they make you work inhumane hours, complain. If they want you to lose 10 kilos in one week for some series, tell them it's unhealthy and deny.

Also, sometimes, you can't know what you're capable of until you do it. We know we hate blood (me too) so we don't become doctors. We know we have acrophobia (me too) as well.
But you can't really comprehend how you'd feel about fame unless it happens to you. And if your agency is all "You'll be rich! Happy! Nooo problems! We'll protect you!", you can be fooled.

Vanity is to blame sometimes, but people with vanity would stick around and suffer just to be "loved". It's not all about vanity. Some people like their jobs and their art as well.
Being able to reach out to people through your art and be useful and good at what you do is not a crime. Talented people should be treated better, s'all I'm saying here, love.

I feel the whole institution of a "celebrity" needs to be changed there. Being an artist should not be about working like a slave, not having a life and being superhuman. And right now, it is.

OT: Woman, we have the same nationality, name and phobia. Reeeally small world. XD

vasou

Post by vasou » Sep 25th, '11, 18:04

Orion1986 wrote:Well, what I meant was that the entire way we perceive of their job in South Korea should change. The industry and actors themselves need to teach netizens their limits.
If you have a girlfriend, say it. If they make you work inhumane hours, complain. If they want you to lose 10 kilos in one week for some series, tell them it's unhealthy and deny.
They have to stand up with that. Deny , you damn people if can't face it. Tell NO, tell I CAN'T...
Also, sometimes, you can't know what you're capable of until you do it. We know we hate blood (me too) so we don't become doctors. We know we have acrophobia (me too) as well.
But you can't really comprehend how you'd feel about fame unless it happens to you. And if your agency is all "You'll be rich! Happy! Nooo problems! We'll protect you!", you can be fooled.
I can understand, but since YOU enter and you know what's going one, then, you can continue or stop.
There are lot of Korean actors that stopped doing dramas...
OT: Woman, we have the same nationality, name and phobia. Reeeally small world. XD
Haha, indeed. :lol We have to check our allergies and food tast :lol

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 25th, '11, 18:09

No allergies here. Ahaha. And very picky eater. XD

Indeed, many left the drama industry, but not everyone has the same luxury, luck in projects and success or an understanding agency. Not all is bleak. There are good people around. ^^

vasou

Post by vasou » Sep 25th, '11, 18:11

Orion1986 wrote:No allergies here. Ahaha. And very picky eater. XD

Indeed, many left the drama industry, but not everyone has the same luxury, luck in projects and success or an understanding agency. Not all is bleak. There are good people around. ^^
HYS is considered an A-list actress. She always takes the lead role, so I guess she has the luxury to do.

And ... the bad-weird in Kdrama post is coming in some minutes :lol

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Sep 29th, '11, 16:09

I love this drama but it only airs 2 days here :(. I can't wait to see Myung's response to the
marriage conspiracy! AH!
Last episode ended without her answer. I can't wait to see the next epsiode!!

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Sep 29th, '11, 23:48

You know it is not easy for any actor to butt heads against the studios. First of all they belong to an agency. They are managed by a person from that agency. They are paid -- with hope-- by that agency. That is only the start. The big companies arrange all the publicity and all the situations when the actor is seen doing any kind of publicity. They also arrange where they can work and what studio and what sort of drama etc. The working conditions are whatever the production people decide they want. so any actor can be working at a drama and for a commercial and doing publicity which resuts in no meals and certainly no sleep. This can go on for days until they collapse and are sent off to a hospital for a liquid infusion and then brought back to the set to start over again. I am tired just writing this so I wonder how they feel in the real situation.If they are in any accident on the set or even in a road accident they are expected to be back working again immediately broken bones and all.

This happens to any actor - star or idol or small part player. I remember Bae Yung Jun landing up in hospital when he was exhausted, but I noticed that he does not act anymore. He now runs his own business and makes a lot of money and rules his own life. Not everyone can do that. So Ji Sub soon was able to break away from his original agency and after doing his military duty he joined BYJ in his company for a short time. Now he has his own company and he makes a lot of money doing many things besides acting. Thankfully he is still an actor however, and we still can expect to see him in film or drama.
I am glad I am not in the Korean entertainment business.

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Oct 21st, '11, 23:49

I can't wait to see more of this drama but it only airs 2 days per week here. It is a bit blah right now but I hope they don't drag things out too much. I want to see a happy ending but I have a feeling it will be sad.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Oct 23rd, '11, 07:51

So you think it will be a sad ending? I think it will work out somehow. The two funny spies will stay in S,Korea and carry on their bickering marriage. Myonwhol will be happy with Eric. And finally I hope that the Major will be swept away by the rich granddaughter. Can't quite decided what to do with evil grandfather.

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Oct 25th, '11, 19:35

Well after last evenings episode I don't know but Ye Seul's acting is strange in this episode. I know she has to be cold now but something is missing. It seems like its the acting itself because they don't have any chemistry even when Kang Woo hugged her it was like she Ye Seul, was out of sync with her character. Is that how it is supposed to be? To me they looked like they were forcing their way through the acting. I am so tired of Choi Ryu butting into their affairs. I wish he would just hook up with Ju Ina. Actually, her character is getting better and Myung Wol's has lost the spark in my opinion. I think someone getting killed would be a real twister because she already said she wanted to die so many times. If someone does it would probably be Choi Ryu. :glare:

SpankThatAss

Post by SpankThatAss » Nov 1st, '11, 18:35

I found it funny how she was so clueless. He would kiss her and she would keep her huge frog-like eyes wide open. I don't know why those silent "wtf" stares always make me laugh haha

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Nov 3rd, '11, 00:59

@SpankThatAss that was funny... I noticed that and her eyes are huge too :lol

Well the ending was interesting... in a good way... typical but it was good. I have to go back and watch it all over again though because I'm sure there were scenes I didn't see. It was pretty good but I really wish
someone would have been killed off

Tonka

Song on Radio from Episode 2

Post by Tonka » Jan 25th, '13, 19:51

Hi, just started watching Spy Myung Wol and I just heard a long-forgotten song in episode 2. It is around the 12:00 mark when Hee Bok is sending his message. The song is playing on the radio during the message and I was wondering if anyone knew the title and artist info. Thanks in advance.