Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Gyebaek (MBC, 2011)

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 24th, '11, 11:22

Title: 계백 (階伯) / Gyebaek
Genre: Historical, period
Episodes: 32
Broadcast network: MBC
Broadcast period: 2011-Jul-25 to 2011-Nov-??
Air time: Monday & Tuesday 21:55
Official Websiste

Naver Cafe

Plot:
A story about the life of General Gyebaek of Baekje in the mid 7th century.

Cast:

Lee Seo Jin as General Gyebaek
Lee Hyun Woo as teen Gye Baek
Jo Jae Hyun as King Euija
Choi Won Hong as child Euija
No Young Hak as teen Euija
Oh Yun Soo as Sa Taek Bi
Song Ji Hyo as Eun Go
Jun Min Seo as child Eun Go
Park Eun Bin as teen Eun Go
Hyo Min as Cho Young
Han Bo Bae as teen Cho Young
Jun Noh Min as Sung Choong
Kim Yoo Suk as Heung Soo
Jin Tae Hyun as Gyo Ki
Nam Da Reum as child Gyo Ki
Seo Young Joo (서영주) as teen Gyo Ki
Choi Jae Hwan as King Mu
Jo Sang Ki as Nam Jo
Kim Hyun Sung as Moo Geun
Yoon Da Hoon as Dok Kye
Ahn Kil Kang as Kwi Woon
Jung Sung Mo as Yoon Choong
Im Hyun Sik as Jo Geum sunsaeng
Choi Jae Ho as Eui Jik
Kim Dong Hee as Eun Sang
Kim Jin Ho (김진호) as Wang Hyo Rin
Park Yoo Hwan as Chul Yeon
Go Yoon Hoo as Dae Soo
Lee Poong Woon as teen Dae Soo
Jang Hee Woong as Yong Soo
Han Ji Woo as Yeon Tae Yeon
Jung So Young as Myung Joo
Ryu Je Hee (류제희) as Seol Yi
Lee Min Ho as teen Moon Geun
Cha In Pyo as Moo Jin (Gye Baek's father, cameo)
Kim Byung Gi
Jung Han Hun

Historical background:
Victory is not only for winners. The defeated can also be victorious, even after losing a battle. General Gyebaek of Baekje Dynasty courageously fought until his death with 5,000 men in the Battle of Hwangsanbeol, while knowing from the start that it would be impossible for him to win the battle. General Gyebaek’s last battle marked the tragic end of Baekje, and 1,300 years after his death, he still remains a symbol of Baekje Dynasty.

The Unknown Life of Gyebaek
Not much record remains on Gyebaek. Even in ‘Samguk Sagi: History of the Three Kingdoms’ and ‘Samguk Yusa: Memorabilia of the Three Kingdoms,’ which records the history of the Three Kingdoms, Goguryeo, Baekje and Silla, there is no record of Gyebaek’s year or place of birth nor any information on his lineage. In ‘Daedong Jiji’ written by Kim Jeong-ho in 1865, it is recorded that Gyebaek’s name is Seung and has the same last name as Baekje. This led to the inference that his last name is Buyeo, the last name of the Baekje royal family. In ‘Buyeoji,’ published in 1928, it is written that Palchoongmyeon is named after the 8 loyal subjects of Baekje, including Gyebaek. From this, historians inferred that Gyebaek was born in today’s Buyeo County.

Several stories that describe the extraordinary aspects of Gyebaek have also been passed down. One story tells that when Gyebaek’s mother fainted while giving birth to him, a tiger took the baby and suckled him. According to another story, every time Gyebaek climbed Cheondung mountain (천둥산) in Buyeo, pine trees fell like reeds, and when he stepped on rocks while training, marks were left on the rocks. Gyebaek, who was talented with martial arts since childhood later becomes an unforgettable name for his last battle in Hwangsanbeol.

The Battle of Hwangsanbeol
Baekje Dynasty was once the most prosperous and powerful out of the Three Kingdoms. However, in the 600s, Baekje battled vigorously against Goguryeo and Silla over territorial claims. After losing the area near Han River to Silla, Baekje formed an alliance with Goguryeo and Japan, and began to atack Silla. As a result, Silla allied with Tang Dynasty and sent an allied force of 50,000 men to attack Baekje. All of the loyal subjects of Baekje advised King Uija to prepare for the attacks, but the king ignored their counsel and continued to enjoy his parties. When enemies advanced towards Tanhyeon and Baekgang, strategic locations of Baekje, King Uija sent General Gyebaek to stop the enemy. Gyebaek leaves for Hwangsanbeol in July 660.

The Last Hero of Baekje in Hwangsanbeol
The allied forces of Silla and Tang Dynasty set July 10, 660 as the date to take Baekje’s capital, Sabi. The Tang troops, which came to about 130,000 men, landed on the river mouth of Geum River and headed towards the capital. The Silla army of 50,000 men led by Kim Yu-shin approached Hwangsanbeol, today’s Nonsan, South Chungcheong province, but were held back by Gyebaek’s army of 5,000 men who were determined to die on battlefield. On July 9, when the Silla troops arrived at Hwangsanbeol, the Baekje forces which were divided into 3 camps received them and won victory in 4 battles.

5,000 against 50,000, it was an impossible battle to win from the beginning. Gyebaek believed that it would be better for his family to die in his hands than to live in shame as slaves of the enemy, so he killed his family. He was determined to fight until his death and this encouraged the Baekje soldiers to fight desperately against the approaching enemy.

However, when two young hwarang Bangul (반굴) and Gwanchang (관창) died in battle, the Silla forces were able to raise their morale and launched a full-scale attack against Baekje. The entire Baekje army died in battle in Hwangsanbeol, allowing the Silla troops to unite with the Tang army and capture Sabi. This leads to the collapse of Baekje Dynasty, which had lasted for 678 years.

The Long-lasting Bravery of Gyebaek
History is written by the victorious, thus records of the defeated tend to be lost and forgotten. Yet General Gyebaek’s bravery continues to live on in the hearts of Koreans today even after 1,300 years. Gyebaek’s loyalty to the country and courageous fight against the enemy makes us think about the meaning of nation to an individual and how a man should live his life.
via KBS World
As the excuse to post some pics:
Baek Cheonggang will sing a theme song for the drama.
Much thanks to Lidia L. for the help^^

And the Section TV from today (2011-07-24):
<iframe title="VideoBam video player" type="text/html" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="480" height="375" src="http://videobam.com/widget/uCOSr"></iframe>

Subtitles:
DS Community - registration required
Last edited by Ethlenn on Oct 9th, '11, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 6th, '11, 20:03

Issy!!! We had this thread for 3 months now, no one wrote. Oh well, if it comes to sageuks it's always you and me. Not complaining.

I really liked Ui Ja up to the moment
he killed Mu Jin
. :cry:

Issy

Post by Issy » Oct 6th, '11, 20:38

:O poor thread was buried down here for 3 months.
I know :cry: I saw the preview.
I am seriously in love with Mu Jin. I don't know how many times I have rewided his scenes. specially the once with GyeBaek. so gentle and so warm, melted my heart. and to be honest, sa taek as evil as she is, I still sympathise with her because she was so in love with him. but some how I got the feeling that he kind of was in love with that shila queen. even he was not, certainly it gave me that impression for some reasons and got me confused a bit.
I can't remember where I have seen the king though. he looks very familiar.
and now can I fangirl a little about Mu Jin :wub:
they all are stolen from soompi :P
my poor heart :pale:
you got to love all the colours and customs in this one. I wonder how did they changed to those traditional sageuks clothings. I certainly prefer these ones.

ps. keep reminding myself that I am watching this drama for LSJ :mrgreen:

pss. he is gone :cry: Sataek, I can't hate you now. :-(

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 7th, '11, 08:23

Oh I hate Sataek just fine.
And if you're on it, please remind me how many years passed? I guess it was in ep 7 but I watched it some time ago and don't quite remember :P

It's weird to watch this after Queen Seondeok, two strong evil women around the same time (Sataek and Mishil, yes, I know Mishil is long dead now, but, 7th century still).

Issy

Post by Issy » Oct 7th, '11, 08:52

The time jump after GB was born was 13 years but Uija does not look like 13 years older than last time we saw him. And I read about viewers complain once they are adult. :mrgreen: Well, have to see.
Back to hating sataek :P I just felt happy that someone giving MuJin a proper burial :cry: But still, she could have hold grudge agaist him once he rejected her (and kept rejecting her till last minute) and harm him and GB but she still cared for him a lot and still loved him.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 7th, '11, 09:00

This one I know, I was talking about the second time jump, when GB is in the camp. :blink

Issy

Post by Issy » Oct 7th, '11, 09:26

Ethlenn wrote:This one I know, I was talking about the second time jump, when GB is in the camp. :blink
:P well I just finished ep7 and so I don't know. but what ever the time, they definitely look older than they should be :whistling:

And I noticed that there is no more subs after ep10 :|. I can't believe it does not have lots of viewers and it's not popular. This must be the slowest drama to get subbed. 12 eps behind?

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Oct 8th, '11, 15:44

I am finding this drama very confusing. The slavery time is too long and drawn out. Lots of horrors. I was wating for some discussion here so I am glad to find it. Give me some clarity.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 8th, '11, 19:01

Well, with some aspects this drama is better drawn than Idiot Dongsu even. Still, it's uneven drama, very uneven and confusing, yes. The events here are really fast.
I mean, I really love the cast, I do, they couldn't find better Uija than Jo Jae Hyun, seriously, he scared the socks out of me in his movies, so I don't complain. Gyebaek is perfectly casted. And of kors, mah ajusshi love, Jun Nomin :wub:
Plus, the cute girl from Gumiho Revenge, aww^^

And I have to say I prefer this Kim Yushin than this from QSD.

Issy

Post by Issy » Oct 8th, '11, 23:26

I totally agree. loving it much more than that Idiot show. but I can't forgive Gyebaek for getting me into CIP :pale: I am seriously suffering. :-(

and since watching Kim Soo Ro I am quiet confused as their life seems to be going backward as they go towards Joseon dynasty. from clothing, to their way of life (they do had kind of modern living, by their standards of course) comparing to the future. it's so hard to think of both as one nation. :scratch:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Oct 9th, '11, 03:29

If it were not for you two guys I would give up here. However I love LSJ and now he is beginning to emerge in his role so I will stay with it. I have admired Jo Hae Hyun for years.

ImL0st

Post by ImL0st » Oct 9th, '11, 04:20

Issy wrote:
Ethlenn wrote:This one I know, I was talking about the second time jump, when GB is in the camp. :blink
:P well I just finished ep7 and so I don't know. but what ever the time, they definitely look older than they should be :whistling:

And I noticed that there is no more subs after ep10 :|. I can't believe it does not have lots of viewers and it's not popular. This must be the slowest drama to get subbed. 12 eps behind?
It seems we all agree that it's better than BSD, hahaha. I get the subs from darksmurfsub, up to ep15 now.

Tai

Post by Tai » Oct 9th, '11, 07:41

That is because reading your ongoing can hardly be made any better. Long live Sageuks. I am just happy summer is now done.
I am amazed it is october and only a dozen subs. The sad, catch em and let em go Princess Man has subs within hours of the ep. Thanks for keeping Gyebaek going.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 9th, '11, 09:21

Since TPM is done, I will help on DSC with Gyebaek subs, but since my Uni started - it won't be light speed.

About going backward, I disagree. let's not judge the nation because of clothes. As beautiful as they are, I still prefer hanboks. Clothes in Three Kingdoms were heavily influenced by the chinese fashion (and Baekje mainly influenced Asuka and Nara clothes in Japan), changed to fit korean sense but still.
Furniture stayed the same and ceramics and silk were better later on. Only in Goryeo period and early Joseon there was this celadon that even Chinese had no idea how to make it. It was all lost when Hideyoshi ruined the country. And I mean it - ruined. Then it was Manchu invasion and nothing was left.

One thing in this drama bothers me, but not to the annoyance level, they left Park Yuhwan character unchanged. He was the assassin in Wi Je when Mujin lived and now too. It's not bothering me much since he's a cutie, but...

And Peggy, if there is a sageuk thread on DA, it's as sure as snow on Mount Everest that we will be here.

Issy

Post by Issy » Oct 9th, '11, 12:13

Ethlenn wrote:About going backward, I disagree. let's not judge the nation because of clothes. As beautiful as they are, I still prefer hanboks. Clothes in Three Kingdoms were heavily influenced by the chinese fashion (and Baekje mainly influenced Asuka and Nara clothes in Japan), changed to fit korean sense but still.
Furniture stayed the same and ceramics and silk were better later on. Only in Goryeo period and early Joseon there was this celadon that even Chinese had no idea how to make it. It was all lost when Hideyoshi ruined the country. And I mean it - ruined. Then it was Manchu invasion and nothing was left.
Well of course you are the expert in here my dear but that was my observation (and reason for my wondering) from these two eras. to simple eyes like mine, they do look more advance than Joseon era specially when few hundreds of years gap involved. ignoring the pretty cloths ( which are matter of taste! I prefer them over hanboks:mrgreen: ) and furniture, I still have to watch a sageuk to show me they are more advanced. maybe I need need to watch more sageuks. :whistling:
And Peggy, if there is a sageuk thread on DA, it's as sure as snow on Mount Everest that we will be here.
Yes, as much as me and E-chan disagree with eachother almost in every thing, you still will see us in every sageuk drama thread. :cheers:

I watched ep 8 and 9 last night and I was kind of bored to be honest. now before you disagree with me, I know the reason why. I am slowly getting used to life with no Mujin :cry: I have not seen the adult Uija actor any where so I really don't have any opinion of him so now my main reason is LSJ (and hope of him keep getting flashbacks of his dad :wub: ). I just remembered how much I love LSj's voice. :mrgreen:

and yes, more subs are out. was going to edit my post yesterday.
happy to see more people in this thread.

ps. in there any more OST to dl some where? :mrgreen:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 9th, '11, 17:13

I will post OSTs, need tiiime!!

And interesting fact I just read:

King Uija (641-660) of Baekje captured more than 40 Silla castles in 642 and, forming a military alliance with Goguryeo, laid a joint siege upon the Tang-hang Fortress at the mouth of the Han River in 643 in order to cut off the Silla’s access to the Yellow Sea. Queen Seon-deok (632-47), the first of the three woman rulers of Silla, sent a desperate memorial to the Tang court. Best (1982: 482) quotes Ce-fu Yuan-kui: Taizong promised to take some concrete measures to stop their aggression, but could not help voicing to the envoy his opinion that Silla’s troubles might be “attributed to the fact that the kingdom was ruled by a woman and consequently lacked the respect of its neighbors.”10 What an odd prophecy to be uttered by Tai-zong on the impending fate of Tang under the Empress Wu!
(from: Wontak Hong, Paekche: An Offshoot of the Puyeo-Koguryeo in Ma-han Land)

:salut:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Oct 9th, '11, 19:35

I am alway sglad to read Ethlenn and you Issy re the sageuks. I am totally immersed in them right now and getting hard to keep them straight. I do like Gaebak very much now that the slavery times are finished. I am watching Gwaenngaeto(?) but frankly I am a little disappointed because it seems to me that Lee Tae gun is overacting the top of his head right off. He looks so unpleasant and untidy also. He is always screaming or growling. I am hoping he will open up into a classy warrior once he becomes the Royal Prince.

I am also watching something called Yaksa. Interesting but iffy because I can't always find it on TV.

I have quite a few samurais roming around so you see I am in the past with a vengeance.

Issy

Post by Issy » Oct 9th, '11, 23:44

Thanks my dear Peggy :salut:

@E-chan, can you check your ep6 720p version please? the one I dled from your HD files, has problems. in addition to glitch, the audio and video don't match. so I really can't enjoy my Mujin to its best picture quality. :P is it only me or others have the same problem?
Thanks alot :salut:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 10th, '11, 18:08

Issy, love, it's the problem iether with player (you checked all your players?) or with the file itself. Right now I can't check it, my HDD is so full I can't even download anything. If nothing helps, try downloading LightWind release.

Issy

Post by Issy » Oct 12th, '11, 08:36

E-chan, it's not my player because all other files play just fine. I dl again and see :salut:

I just read this and thought it is really funny.

Han Ji-woo's acting controversy, the worst casting for "Gyebaek"?

I still has not reached her scenes so I really don't know how bad she is but surely can't be any worse than that wooden log in IBDS. I don't think any one can be as bad as she was in her acting yet she did not get this reaction. :scratch: netizens ! :blink

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 12th, '11, 11:10

Well, she's bad, but I think equally bad to wooden log. Wooden log pronunciation was also a mess, so picking only on Han Ji woo is unfair. She's just plain and without any emotions.

Update:
V.A - Gyebaek (계백) OST Part.1
Lim Hyung Joo – Gyebaek OST Part 2

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Oct 21st, '11, 22:45

I am little unhappy because this drama has vanished from my area. I was watching it on TV each week but the programmes have had a great re shuffle since Kang Ho Dong retired and now I can't find Gyebaek just as it was getting really into the swing of things.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Nov 11th, '11, 15:40

Extended to 36 episodes. :salut:

Issy

Post by Issy » Nov 14th, '11, 16:39

it just hit me (well, hit me sometimes ago when I was watching Gyebaek) that Eungo is the queen in "Frozen Flower" movie. I did not like her there and I am having problem liking her here too. :glare:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 14th, '12, 09:13

OK, so I finally finished that one over the weekend (20 eps in 2 days^^). It wasn't the best period drama out there, but it was surprisingly good. From 17-25 episodes were really fast, lots of happenings, and I was taken by surprise when they ended. Then it was slowed down a bit, and finally battles near the end of Baekje existence. Last episode was rushed, it was visible (lousy battle scenes) but in overall - I enjoyed it immensely. The ending also surprised me pleasantly with Gyebaek seeing his wife, not that damned Queen.
Plus, the wise, calm, perfect Jun Nomin.

Too bad few minor flaws spoiled it a bit, but there's no taeha/sageuk without stupid mistakes, you know.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Mar 15th, '12, 04:47

I found it again and was able to see almost all of the episodes. I enjoyed what I saw and I just loved the two lead men. Uija such a good actor for long time. It doesn't hurt that I fell for Lee Seo Jin years ago. He is really quite a good actor considering he is so selfconsciious once he is out of a character.
He was right out of his depth during his visit on '2 Days 1 Night' recently. Funny tho.

I imagine the battles and the ending in Gyebaek were very close to history. I did wonder if the evil Queen really existed and had such power for so long. Hard to take the very end for Gyebaek and his family.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 15th, '12, 16:38

The weird thing is, as I was watching the last ep, I was 'whoa, it's exactly the same as I read in a book". It follows the story really close, it didn't distort it like Idiot Baek Dongsu or QSD.
I have to research the evil Queen more now, but since in books Uija's heir is named Hyo, so I presume second wife of the King existed. So maybe, maybe...