The Good, The Bad, The Weird of Kdrama

Discuss Korean drama series here.
Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jul 20th, '12, 01:21

I was always wondering about korean cell phones. I always thought, that all cellphones in the whole world use "sim cards". But in ALL korean dramas i've ever seen, they obiously don't know about the existence of such device. If f.e. a character brakes his cell phone he/she always is in despair, because the friends and family know just the number of the broken phone. If f.e. one character brakes the phone of the other, then they exchange in most cases their phones INCLUDING their numbers, till the broken phone is fixed. And it never occurs to them to put the sim-card of their phone in the other phone.
There was also a drama, where the character(female) had a broken cell phone and waited for a call. And the male character gives her a new cell phone as a gift. She complained that she wants the old cell fxed, because she is awaiting a call. And there are many many many other examples like this with cell phone problems in kdramas(and some tw-dramas), which could be solved through a simple change of the sim-card. And yes i know some cell phones are locked for specific simcards, but in the last few years most cells are unlocked for all cards.
So i have several theories:
-not all countries have cell phones with a sim card (especially korea),,,ore they have some kind of build in card...does anybody know this?
-the scriptwriters are either dumb or desperate for a plotpoint where the characters have to exchange cells with numbers or to let the characters miss a important call
-the characters are generally dumb

airboy

Post by airboy » Jul 20th, '12, 09:49

Silverman wrote: So i have several theories:
-not all countries have cell phones with a sim card (especially korea),,,ore they have some kind of build in card...does anybody know this?
-the scriptwriters are either dumb or desperate for a plotpoint where the characters have to exchange cells with numbers or to let the characters miss a important call
I am pretty sure all phones have sim cards. It the dramas they often are taking out the batteries just because it a better visual effect and it goes faster. Would it not be simplier just to turn the phone off? :roll

Issy

Post by Issy » Jul 20th, '12, 10:28

Taking out the battery is one of old kdrama cliches. They just can't do without it. Obviously it's done for adding more drama and attention to that particular scene but it has become seriously annoying.
Not to mention it always makes me wonder how on earth they can do it so fast as opening the back cover is the hardest thing to do for me.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jul 20th, '12, 10:42

lol Issy, every time i think the same. I have pretty nimble fingers through my work and i still can't manage it with that speed.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 21st, '12, 20:19

Since 26 pages are filled with "meh", "it's stupid", "nonsense", "cliche I can't bear to watch", my post may revolutionize the thread.
I LIKE in kdramas when female lead who can't cook, prepares a meal for a guy and he eats it despite it tasting horrible. I'm looking forward to it in real life, mehehe.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jul 21st, '12, 22:33

It's not something unexpected, that there are just such posts. Why? Simple, good things don't give much of a discussiontopic. If there is for example a movie, where 90 of the people liked the movie, very few of these 90 would write something about this movie, except one line perhaps like: it was good (i'm not talking here about mysterymovies with an open end or movies, which have a large fanbase, like Star Trek). The other 10 will overanalyse this movie and write tons of posts with constructive and destructive comments.
Like i said, positive things are boring and don't have much discussionmatter and a human being tends to be sensitive to the negative things. As long as we are happy with something, we don't think about it (well you can say, we don't appreciate the good things we already have) or talk about it...but if we see something we don't like, we have to complain...it's human nature and i bet you do the same on a daily basis.
And kdramas give us a lot of things to discuss, simply because of the big number of kdramas, there are a lot of clichés and frequent used scenes/gadgets/storylines. And a big number of these clichés are somewhat stupid, like taking out the phonebattery, so that you keep wonder : why are they doing this...is doing things in such a way a normal thing in korea and i just don't understand it? For example the thing with the sim-card is not something negative or positive, it's just a thing i wonder about. I really wondered, if the pones are different in korea.

But i have positive things about kdramas. For example i like it, that in most kdramas they have the sequence : get to know each other->become friends<fall>dating ->sex(ok in the most dramas they marry before the first sex).
Ethlenn wrote: I LIKE in kdramas when female lead who can't cook, prepares a meal for a guy and he eats it despite it tasting horrible. I'm looking forward to it in real life, mehehe.
Been there, done that^^. At least at the beginning of the relationship I'm in at the moment. Five years ago as we we began to date, my GF said to me: "I will cook something for you" and i said: "Great, lets do this"...well...lets say the pinnacle of her cookingskill is a toast and some fried eggs...well and perhaps a pizza. So she tried her luck with sweet and sour pork. :pale: She put soooooooooooooooooooo much vinegar in it, that i had tears in my eyes. And there i was...sitting there with tears in my eyes...and she asked: How is it?...Well what can you do as a guy, who tried the food his new gf made for the first time? If you say yes it's great, she will smell this lie miles away...if you say: It's horrible, then she will be sad and insulted. So i tried my best and said: "It is great, although i'm used to food...which is more bland, so this is a little bit unfamiliar to me...but it's still great..." ...well at least i tried^^. She wasn't very convinced. So i said: "it's so much better, than anything i could ever cook." At this point she was convinced...well the catastrophic outcome was averted...that is, till she found out, that my grandma was a cook and i learned from her since i was 7^^.
So girls, if you want to woo your guy, pleeeeeeeeeease cook something you are familiar with or you'll get hurt, even if the guy doesn't mean it.
Last edited by Silverman on Jul 21st, '12, 23:02, edited 1 time in total.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 21st, '12, 22:50

Silverman wrote:it's human nature and i bet you do the same on a daily basis.
You just lost your bet now. I hope it wasn't that much.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jul 21st, '12, 23:06

There i'm not so sure...think about it. How long do you discuss with your partner at home about the other colleagues you like and how long you complain about "that ****, who ruined your day". Ok then again i don't want to generalize my remark, since there are surely people who talk just about good things all the day long and ignore the bad things...maybe it's just the people around me^^.

EDIT:
What i will write now is not something to insult you, antagonize you or something negative, since these are the things I'm also doing, like most user of this forum. So please don't explode.
The best evidence is your post above this one. In my post, which you quoted, i said a positive thing about a kdrama, like you wanted. But you didn't think much about it and just picked the part you have the most problems with.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 21st, '12, 23:43

I know I do have a weird sense of humor, but that was an irony. Which ceases to be one when the recipient and sender don't connect. It's our case, I guess. But this is how quotation works - you choose one fragment you want to make references to. You've probably written dozens of papers, you know that.

You may not believe it, but I don't complain. I take most of the things in life and dramas as well as a flow. Not as something I need to wail over.

And it's really hard to insult me. Really hard. :salut:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 22nd, '12, 01:05

Dear Ethlenn..

I LOVE your sense of humor. It reminds me of me. Well more so when I was your age at least. It's so smooth and firm and fully packed and has a zinger here and there.
sometimes people don't even know.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Jul 22nd, '12, 09:30

Yep. Loving ur humor and your upbeat nature...

I've had great fun reading through some of your conversations here, Silverman and Ethlenn, please continue to not-connect and keep it up :mrgreen:

Oh and I think girls mostly have it worse when it comes to cooking skills of their male partners...anyway I'm with Ethlenn here. The failed cooking one of the stereotypical drama scenes I really don't mind. It's cute and warm, makes ya like the guy even if he's a jerk.
But Ecchan, gotta disappoint you. You've got great cooking skills, you'll never experience that naturally. :P

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jul 22nd, '12, 09:59

Ethlenn wrote:I know I do have a weird sense of humor, but that was an irony. Which ceases to be one when the recipient and sender don't connect. It's our case, I guess. But this is how quotation works - you choose one fragment you want to make references to. You've probably written dozens of papers, you know that.

You may not believe it, but I don't complain. I take most of the things in life and dramas as well as a flow. Not as something I need to wail over.

And it's really hard to insult me. Really hard. :salut:
Yea^^ we don't really connect here. I didn't mean it that way. I wanted to say, that you chose to quote the part, with which you have problems and "discuss" about that and not about the part, where i referred to your complain about just negative thing in this thread. Well, lets overlook if the content of my "positive k-drama thing" is good or bad, but you have to give me credit for trying.

I thought so, that this could be just a simple sarcastic remark on your part. But like i said somewhere before. I have an OCD(no it's not a modern style of using the word OCD, i have the real medical condition, even though it's in a mild form) with explaining, even if it's not needed

moadeep

Post by moadeep » Jul 22nd, '12, 23:13

airboy wrote:
Silverman wrote: So i have several theories:
I am pretty sure all phones have sim cards. It the dramas they often are taking out the batteries just because it a better visual effect and it goes faster. Would it not be simplier just to turn the phone off? :roll
My phone doesn't. But I can switch numbers to a new phone, it just takes a couple days.