What do you like more: j-dramas or k-dramas

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.

Which do you like more: j-dramas or k-dramas?

j-dramas a lot more
40%
j-dramas a little more
5%
both equally
8%
both equally
8%
k-dramas a little more
11%
k-dramas a lot more
29%

Total votes: 669

mikan_purin_ame

Post by mikan_purin_ame » May 9th, '05, 03:56

J-dramas for me!
Because I find there is more variety.

I've watched some K-dramas-- and I'll admit that some of the romantic things are very touching... I loved Full House and I'm sorry, I love you... but it's really irritating how you can have like all of 20 episodes revolve around these complicated, overly scrutinized two main characters... and it makes you want to scream, "THE WORLD DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND YOU!" at the screen. In a 16 episode series... I often find that the only ones really necessary are like.. the first 6 episodes, then the last two...

J-dramas, although they do also always have some type of love story mixed in there, they often tend to have another main subject. For example, there is always another overlying theme like... hockey (Pride), racing (Engine), sign language (Orange Days), synchronized swimming (Waterboys), modern dance (Kimi wa Petto). Like, the series isn't completely consumed by the love story... it's not all love, just love, only love 24/7. And also J-dramas try to give you some ideas and perspectives that you can be introspective about maybe your approach to life, or your outlook to the world. Of course, they aren't always successful, or the best depiction or anything, but at least they try.

It seems like in J-dramas they have more common-day heroes. while in K-dramas the main leads are always like these anomaly characters in situations that are as likely to exist as I am likely to win the lottery...

Just my two cents!

rossier

Post by rossier » May 9th, '05, 04:19

I voted JDrama of course... I find Korean drama (most of it) especially love story have similar plots and a lot of tears.. sigh... :faint: I do love the romantic comedy drama such as "My Love Patzzi" and epic drama like "Dae Jang Geum"... But i prefer JDrama since it has more plots and the story varies and of course comedic.. There's fantasy, comedy, fighting, epic, thriller, mystery.. you name it they have everthing... And the story isn't so depressingggggg... :P

A big Jang Nara fan :P

muwu

Post by muwu » May 11th, '05, 09:27

Thanks BT-Slut.

Japanese dramas aren't that realistic:
I just finished watching Gokusen 2 (Mafia-teacher). Someone mentioned that 2 pales compared to 1, but I think they are about the same. Except, in 2, I think they really over did fighting scene. Those who said Jdramas are realistic, how can you explain that a five-foot-tall and skinny Asian woman can beat up 20 high school gang boys, or 10 Mafia guys... like in every single episode. Though it's just funny watching Yangkumi getting all hyped up and giving her famous speeches.

Japanese dramas lecture too much.
Though I truly enjoy watching Jdramas, after 20 or so series, you begine to notice a repeating theme. With guts and "gambatte" or "friendship" "parental guidance" or something like that, almost every single characters (even side characters) in Jdramas seem to overcome whatever difficulty they have. Even if there is some kid who is getting ijime'd, he'll eventually rise out of it. I guess they are trying to give courage to people watching those dramas (especially in these difficult recession era), but...

Also, it would be nice if they try not to make their dramas into another "moral teaching" tool. Give me good story, acting, cinematography, and music. It gets old when some Ojiisan/otoosan/sensei give you three minute lecture on life/love/morality.

I am also almost done watching Strawberry On the Short Cake, and gee, first episode was truly amazing, but rest of the episodes are just normal teenage love story...so disappointing.

I need a change... :cry:

Dokebi

Post by Dokebi » Dec 7th, '05, 20:46

i think K-dramas are alot better...and the production value is higher than japanese ones.. movies as well :)

rika-ika

Post by rika-ika » Dec 6th, '06, 13:29

Well one year ago it would´ve been kdrama but now I watch jdrama much more.
Why?
Because kdrama tend to follow the same storyline and after watching many kdrama, most of the time i now, whats going to happen next. that's quite boring (I now, there are still some really interesting) and i switched to jdrama.

kunornadia

Post by kunornadia » May 9th, '07, 10:35

I like K-drama better coz it's funnier and more interesting.Some J-drama are boring.

nolimit

Post by nolimit » May 9th, '07, 19:38

rika-ika wrote:Well one year ago it would´ve been kdrama but now I watch jdrama much more.
Why?
Because kdrama tend to follow the same storyline and after watching many kdrama, most of the time i now, whats going to happen next. that's quite boring (I now, there are still some really interesting) and i switched to jdrama.
Agreed.
This is the problem with kdrama.

My wife she use to love watching kdrama and was obsessed but now, all she cares about is jdrama.
She will give newest kdrama a go but after 2 eps, she don't bother or just watch the final eps and finish with it.
On the otherhand I've never seen her cry/laugh so much with jdrama's.

Also one look at number of people downloading kdrama has decreased dramatically and have been declining for sometime since end of 2005.

Me personally don't watch too many dramas but usually Japanese Live Action.

Kawaii Megumi

Post by Kawaii Megumi » May 9th, '07, 19:47

I like Jdrama A LOT more, since I'm like sick and tired of seeing the same theme again and again and again.
Don't get me wrong, I do like melodramatic sometimes, but in kdrama, it's seriously OVERKILL. The only Kdrama I like a bit is Goong. That's it.

Jdrama... you have more variations in genres. That's what I like. School theme, Yakuza theme, Music theme... I love it all =3 It makes it all a bit more original.

portina23

Post by portina23 » May 9th, '07, 19:51

I prefer J-Drama because the shorter episodes are better than K-Drama's 20 episodes.

Kawaii Megumi

Post by Kawaii Megumi » May 9th, '07, 19:56

muwu wrote:Thanks BT-Slut.

Japanese dramas aren't that realistic:
I just finished watching Gokusen 2 (Mafia-teacher). Someone mentioned that 2 pales compared to 1, but I think they are about the same. Except, in 2, I think they really over did fighting scene. Those who said Jdramas are realistic, how can you explain that a five-foot-tall and skinny Asian woman can beat up 20 high school gang boys, or 10 Mafia guys... like in every single episode. Though it's just funny watching Yangkumi getting all hyped up and giving her famous speeches.

Japanese dramas lecture too much.
Though I truly enjoy watching Jdramas, after 20 or so series, you begine to notice a repeating theme. With guts and "gambatte" or "friendship" "parental guidance" or something like that, almost every single characters (even side characters) in Jdramas seem to overcome whatever difficulty they have. Even if there is some kid who is getting ijime'd, he'll eventually rise out of it. I guess they are trying to give courage to people watching those dramas (especially in these difficult recession era), but...

Also, it would be nice if they try not to make their dramas into another "moral teaching" tool. Give me good story, acting, cinematography, and music. It gets old when some Ojiisan/otoosan/sensei give you three minute lecture on life/love/morality.

I am also almost done watching Strawberry On the Short Cake, and gee, first episode was truly amazing, but rest of the episodes are just normal teenage love story...so disappointing.

I need a change... :cry:
Yeah ofcourse.. take one Anime-based Jdrama :thumright: And with that, you judge the whole Jdrama in general :O I mean, if you're saying we have to proof that Jdrama is more realistic in some matters, I suggest you watch some other drama's than Live Actions ~.~

AND Please tell me you can see that with Kdrama more often? Jdrama repeats, sure. But Kdrama repeats almost every storyline you can imagine =_= Happy endings... I've seen several. But almost every Kdrama I watched, the girl dies, or they both die =_= Well.. aint'that stereotype =3

mayohee

Post by mayohee » May 9th, '07, 20:36

kdramas are more funny and romance when I watch it I cant stop from laughing or at least smiling that’s way I like kdrama more than jdrama

belleza

Post by belleza » May 9th, '07, 22:58

Comparing J-drama vs. K-drama is inherently flawed because it's a false distinction. The real difference is Japanese dramas vs. all other Asian countries. The Japanese TV seasons run much shorter than the other Asian countries. It's roughly equivalent to a HBO series run, except that you usually have only one season. Korean, Taiwanese, Cinese, Filipino, Thai dramas etc. are structured more like telanovellas; they run as miniseries, emphasize actor/actress personalities over character, and use plot twists for their own sake.

Also, I think there's a big misperception over what people actually watch. Melodramas haven't really been successful in Korea since MiSA, and in fact most of the melodramas marketed to Hallyu did rather mediocre ratings in Korea. Idol and manga-based dramas are popular here, but my understanding is that the backbone of Japanese TV are still family shows, workplace dramas (particularly focusing on 30-something female leads) and historical/Taiga dramas. Or at least that was my perception after watching actual Japanese TV.

The one severe flaw with Korean dramas, something often brought up by Soompi muso, has been the psychotic production schedule (i.e. "live shoot.") Korean seasonal dramas run 2 60-minute episodes a week, and usually , the schedule only runs maybe 1 or 2 weeks ahead of airing time. This is intentional because the writers will often change the plot depending on the audience response. But, this also limits postproduction (particularly editing), creates continuity and credibility problems with characters and plot, undermines the integrity of the narrative, and above all, it doesn't enable the writer to craft a satisfying ending for the show. Given that they have to produce 120 minutes per week, the stress on the show can be severe. Thus the need to rely on tried and true formulas. As a result, it's sort of understood by the domestic audience that the story is kinda "up in the air" as it goes.

But that's changing now. Alone in Love was made almost entirely (plus filmed ending!) prior to airing time -- and lo and behold it actually plays like a 16 episode J-drama. "H.I.T." also plays a bit like a J-drama too, in its emphasis on a manhunt for the murderer of her ex-love. And I'm still getting my head around the brilliant "Thank You." The writing on that show, like Ruler of Your Own World, quietly subverts your assumpions on Korean comedies and melodrama (i.e. the melodrama has a dry, absurdist tongue, and the comedic moments will somehow make you cry), and it kinda takes the Endless Love series' use of environment and visual space and then flips it into a marginal, gritty reality a la MiSA.

Japanese dramas seem at a crossroads too. I'm not sure how much longer idol dramas are going to dominate the airwaves given the rather iffy performance in the last 2 years of them. It looks like the studios haven't been able to build a following with the current crop of JE idols and sub-25 female actresses save for a handful.

doce

Post by doce » May 18th, '07, 01:23

Learner wrote:I dont know why but I find Jdrama pretty boring. I watched the first 2 eps of Gokusen and it did not appeal to me. I've watched some parts of Summer snow and think it's OK but the male cast does not appeal to me and never finished watching it. Maybe I have not found the rite 1 to watch so lost interest in.
3 years ago I watched The doctor's brother (I think) and found it boring while so many people loved it. It was not until around a year ago when some1 lend me a copy of dubbed Glass shoes that I truly love Kdramas and hooked on. since then I found D-ADDICTS and as they said the rest is history. The subs version is heaps better! in short I just love Kdramas :D
i dont think those ones are that good. If u want a good Jdrama you should watch hyd cos its funny and romantic or 1 litre of tears if u want to cry.

chiakisama

Post by chiakisama » May 18th, '07, 03:12

belleza wrote:Korean, Taiwanese, Cinese, Filipino, Thai dramas etc. are structured more like telanovellas; they run as miniseries, emphasize actor/actress personalities over character, and use plot twists for their own sake.
I liked your analysis belleza, and it made me think of the parodies of Korean Drama on Mad tv. Here's a link:

xox-Beautifully-Broken-xo

Post by xox-Beautifully-Broken-xo » May 18th, '07, 03:20

Um... I like J-Dramas more than K-Dramas cuz J-Dramas are shorter, lol, and they have different genres and they like, teach a lesson/moral so it helps you learn and appreciate life a bit more.
Hehe, well, to me it seems like it. =P
I like K-Dramas too, but not as much as J-Dramas, because they do tend to drag a bit, so it gets boring at times, and yeah, the "formula" they use, tiring to watch at times. ^^a
But, still fun to watch when I'm in the mood for a laugh or to watch a romance. =]

chiakisama

Post by chiakisama » May 18th, '07, 03:25

What she said. I started with Mandarin drama, watched a couple of K-dramas and now am addicted to J-drama...

soulrogue

Post by soulrogue » May 18th, '07, 20:01

if k drams stopped that contract thing.. and that 4 way love confusion.. and stretching of the same freaking thing for episodes 8 to 14.. then id say both are equal..
this aspect j dramas are way better ..

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » May 18th, '07, 20:39

belleza wrote:Also, I think there's a big misperception over what people actually watch. Melodramas haven't really been successful in Korea since MiSA, and in fact most of the melodramas marketed to Hallyu did rather mediocre ratings in Korea.
I've been trying to tell people for ages, but for some reason nobody ever believes me. People who still complain about people in KDramas always dying must not have watched any since 2005, because I very,very rarely see people dying in the newer shows and I can honestly say that, with like 50 KDramas under my belt, I've only seen 2 that had cancer in them and only 1 that had the lead character die of it. And yes people, there are KDramas with little or even no romance - examples include Coma, Come Back Soon Ae, H.I.T. or White Tower. It really depends on what you watch or how carefully you pick what you watch. I must mention that I haven't seen many KDramas people around here started out with, such as Stairway to Heaven, Lovers in Paris or Winter Sonata. I didn't watch them on purpose and only went for dramas that seemed slightly more original and/or less melodramatic. However, overall, of course there is more variety in JDramas - which is not to say they don't suffer from their own set or stereotypes.

As for the question, I'd say I like them pretty much equally. In 2005, I felt JDramas outdid KDramas, with Japan bringing us many, many memorable, funny, original dramas and Korea, except for a few highlights, not really shining. In 2006, KDramas outdid JDramas,with too many idol dramas, Gokusen copycats and moral story dramas coming out of Japan, while Korea invented itself (or perhaps the subbers finally took less obvious projects) and brought us gems such as the aforementioned Alone in Love. In 2007, so far Korea has the upper hand - Dal Ja's Spring was excellent, though I am enjoying this season's Proposal Daisakusen as well as Watashitachi no Kyokasho. But nobody knows what the future will bring and I'll be sure to keep watching both JDramas and KDramas. Personally I believe people who limit themselves to just one country are missing out on a lot of quality dramas, but perhaps they're doing themselves a favour by saving themselves from yet more addiction. :P

In conclusion, I voted both equally. My all-time favourites include a healthy mix of both Japanese and Korean dramas.
Last edited by Néa Vanille on May 18th, '07, 21:15, edited 3 times in total.

MitsukaiKuroi

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » May 18th, '07, 20:59

JDramas are simply the ultimate best IMO!!! :thumleft:

I have only seen two JDramas so far that were hard for me to tolerate! The stories are so diverse. They are more realistic to me even when they are over the top unrealistic (usually done on purpose in comedies), acting is great, no hokey mushy gushy romance, serious subjects and comedy all have a great moral story and direction, etc. I could go on and on!!! :mrgreen:

There are very few KDramas that I have really liked. Most are too over the top with little supposedly "I'm too cute not to be loved and look here is the richest man in the world who wants to save me!!!" girls that act like they are 4 years old and so much 'sickly sweet' romance that I feel like puking the whole time.

I did like Kim Sam Soon, Love Letter (yeah there was a lot of romance but it was done well) and Super Rookie. But most of the KDramas that everyone raves over I personally can't stand like My Girl, Sassy Girl (stopped at episode 3 to save brain cells), and Pure 19 (dropped out on that one half way through). I have tried a few others and after the first or second eps. I usually drop out.

JDramas are my preferred and usually the ones that I look for. In the past 6 months I have completely started skipping over KDramas and I just go for JDramas now! :cheers:

Angel551

Post by Angel551 » May 21st, '07, 09:38

i luve K drama alotz , Cuz every series you find somthing interested . like story , culture , clothes , lotz of romance & comedy , so i :wub: the kdrama

I've watched Jdrama :wub: & i liked them 2

nidyaa

Post by nidyaa » Jul 6th, '07, 08:23

hey i choose "K-dramas a lot more" because i love Korea more than i love Japan! I love Korean Actor... HAHAHA :D

karlax

Post by karlax » Jul 10th, '07, 17:46

Any suggestion where can i get the OST for Kiyoshi Binbin, i am crazy looking for it, hope somebody can give a guide here... Thank you...

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Jul 10th, '07, 19:22

I love Kdramas a lot more for a few reasons. And they are only based on what I've seen. Keep in mind that I have only seen 2 Jdramas (Gokusen & HYD).

I like the Korean language better.
Korean actors are hotter.
Korean actresses are prettier.
Kdramas are more romantic than Jdramas.
Kdramas are more addicting.
Kdramas are funnier.
Full House (Kdrama) introduced me to dramas.

Some of these points may be wrong, since I have yet to see a Jdrama that is amazingly funny, romantic, or addicting. (As you can see, I have only seen a few and they're probably not the best.) But as far as actors and actresses go, I think I have pretty much seen them all. Not saying that Kdramas are necessarily better, but I just like them more.

comiclife

Post by comiclife » Jul 10th, '07, 20:38

Last edited by comiclife on Jul 13th, '09, 15:58, edited 3 times in total.

KaitouTsuki90

Post by KaitouTsuki90 » Jul 10th, '07, 20:47

I have to say I like JDorama MUCH MORE. First one I saw was Summer Snow which made me fall in love with Oguri Shun, and that's when my addiction began with Jdoramas. There's different type of dramas that isn't focused on love like K-drama usually centers on. Well-rounded and the don't always use good looking characters.

Nobuta wo Produce was good. Focused on friendship, change, and self realization within both characters (Nobuka and Shinji). Enjoyable yet mysterious in the plotline. 1 litre of tears focused on life. I loved it because it made me reflect on my life, how I'm taking advantage of it and sometime find myself that I don't want to live anymore, while others with dieseases do want to live, but don't have the same chance. Not focused on living for your lovesake, BUT FOR YOURSELF! Liked that it based on a true story. Hotman was an excellent family focused drama. It deals with real family issues and how each members react to it. Beautiful life was a really nice love story so was Majo no Jouken. First saw it because of tackey but then fell in love with the story itself. I'll stop ranting now. Although I do not claim that Jdoramas are perfect but have more to choose from like friendship to teacher -student relationship. The movies I must say are about even. I hate some yet love some. :D

Compared to K-dramas , I think their movies are way better then their dramas. I know this is repetitive, but I find it true. It drags for 20 episodes which could be condensed. I do find it quite enjoyable something like My girl, but mostly I watched it because of Lee Jun Ki. Love seems to be always the theme (from what I have seen), nothing else. There's not much other varieties like Jdorama. Love is the central theme. True, it is captivating with its music, words, and setting, but it I think it loses depth when LOVE is like the most important thing in the world. I sat watching 20 episodes of Stairway to heaven and I was like omg! they seriously don't think in this drama. They make it seem like love is right and wrong at the same time. LOVE MAKE YOU DO CRAZY STUFF!

Also adding to why I like Jdoramas, they face life problems like sex, money, future. Tsubasa No Oreta Tenshitachi and Deep love was good. I really like it cause its independent. Not focused on what TWO people want but what do YOU want in life. You as a single person want in your life. I think some dramas ae good for women like the ones I mentioned before.

This is based on my opinions. I will not change it until I watch more k-dramas that do not display the same method.

fayewolf

Post by fayewolf » Sep 7th, '07, 15:32

mikan_purin_ame wrote:J-dramas for me!
Because I find there is more variety.

I've watched some K-dramas-- and I'll admit that some of the romantic things are very touching... I loved Full House and I'm sorry, I love you... but it's really irritating how you can have like all of 20 episodes revolve around these complicated, overly scrutinized two main characters... and it makes you want to scream, "THE WORLD DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND YOU!" at the screen. In a 16 episode series... I often find that the only ones really necessary are like.. the first 6 episodes, then the last two...

J-dramas, although they do also always have some type of love story mixed in there, they often tend to have another main subject. For example, there is always another overlying theme like... hockey (Pride), racing (Engine), sign language (Orange Days), synchronized swimming (Waterboys), modern dance (Kimi wa Petto). Like, the series isn't completely consumed by the love story... it's not all love, just love, only love 24/7. And also J-dramas try to give you some ideas and perspectives that you can be introspective about maybe your approach to life, or your outlook to the world. Of course, they aren't always successful, or the best depiction or anything, but at least they try.

It seems like in J-dramas they have more common-day heroes. while in K-dramas the main leads are always like these anomaly characters in situations that are as likely to exist as I am likely to win the lottery...

Just my two cents!
OMG, i feel exactly the same way!!!! K-drama is very annoying to me, especially their love story when someone has cancer and found out that her lover is her brother (i made that up, but you get the idea)

Hanakurosu

Post by Hanakurosu » Sep 7th, '07, 18:08

not really into K-drama, although a lot of my friends are into K, I just can't force my self to watch one. Though some have very good storyline with great actors/ actresses.. But I'm still into J-Drama ~ And I think J-Drama's plot are more dynamic thank K's hehe Just my personal opinion hehe

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Sep 7th, '07, 23:06

Initially, in my earlier post about 2 years ago, I voted for K-Dramas.

Now looking back, I realized how unfair I was to jdoramas because I was so biased to Kdramas. If I had a choice whether or not to change my vote, I'd choose Jdramas this time around.

After my kdrama obsession died down, I began to see the repetitiveness and cliche-ish plots that most kdramas share (with an exception of a few great unique ones)...I turned to Jdramas to feed my addiction. My jdrama collection has caught up and has exceeded the number of kdramas that I've used to collect. I still hoard kdramas (but now I choose sparingly and only the ones that seem interesting).

darklocust

Post by darklocust » Sep 26th, '07, 08:22

:goggle: I think that the production values for kdramas are very high, and they feel like a lot of money has been spent on them. The acting also seems to be superior to all other asian dramas. Also for Me Kdramas have the hottest chicks, except when they decide to cast an ugly lead like in "lover in paris". They are the best if you want romantic drama and tear jerkers, the koreans know how to push all the right buttons emotionally (Love Letter, Stairway to Heaven). They however do tend to drag a bit cause they seem to think that all Dramas need to have atleast 16-26 episodes regardless of wether the plot can support that many episodes. Also when you watched alot of kdramas, you also start getting annoyed with some of the repititiveness and unlikliness of certain scenarios (Love Traingles, Love Squares, Love Dodecahedrons!!!). Kdramas can be a little to melodramatic but there are also nice romantic comedies, one of the best and my personal favourite kdrama is "Full House".

Jdrama's are my close second favourite beacuse they are short and to the point.
They are the best at making you laugh, I you dare to watch "Kekkon Dekkenai Otoko" or "GTO" and not laugh at least once. If you like your dramas completely out of this world then Jdrama's would do it for you as some of them have an almost anime feel to them, with notorious over acting (Shota No Sushi). The more serious dramas tend to have a darker feel to them than kdramas, but jdramas are generally less predictable and hava a much bigger variety in plots and stories. If you like highschool dramas, then jdramas are the way to go, one of the best being (Strawberry on a Shortcake).

As for Chinese/Tiawanese dramas, i find that they are cheaply produce, with extremely bad acting. There also seems to always be a sense of humour that you would only understand if you were chinese (which i am not).The chick hotness factor is also not all that, Kdramas and Jdramas both having hotter chicks. And if you think Kdramas drag, then lord help you with Cdramas and twdramas (50+ episodes)

Summer Snow

Post by Summer Snow » Oct 1st, '07, 13:00

JDramas has always been a favourite of mine, with its unique and short stories. I love the fact that JDramas are short and sweet, like how I like the novels I read to be. And I love the fact that it doesn't need 20 plus episodes to develop a character. Stretching out stories so it can fill up 20 episodes, is not what I call entertainment. And I always find myself fast forwarding KDramas or falling asleep when I watch it, I rarely do so with JDramas.
Anyway everything just comes down to personal preference. 8)

scaturan

Post by scaturan » Oct 1st, '07, 13:28

I grew up watching Tagalog-subbed Japanese shows like Shaider and Biomen in the mid-80s. And in the late 90s after I moved to the US, I stumbled upon “Over Time” on a local hour-long Japanese TV programming. But it wasn’t until mid-2007 that I got back on track.

contrary to American soap operas, much of the JDorama series that I've followed are very realistic to life, very believable that you get sucked into the story as if it was happening right in front of your eyes.

go watch "Beautiful Life" - you'll see what I mean.

maybe I can't explain it quite well due to my sloppy English. at any rate, this is just my 2 cents. :)

Cersia

Post by Cersia » Oct 20th, '07, 12:08

I think I like kdrama a little more, because there are more kdrama that I love than jdrama!
But I like watchign both <3

Beecubed

Post by Beecubed » Feb 29th, '08, 12:28

Jdramas definitely gets my vote here...

I started off watching Kdramas and loved it. But then I noticed that the dramas started to get boring, too long and repetitive and cheesy, and the actresses all act the same way... the main focus is on just a few characters too.

I watched 1 Litre of Tears at this point. It changed me. I started to watch Jdramas. Have never set eye on a Kdrama again.

I love how Jdramas tend to emphasise themes such as friendship, teacher-student relations, family/sibling love etc. much more so than Kdramas.

alcozar

Post by alcozar » Apr 24th, '08, 16:40

Currently kdramas, but it all depends on how good the dramas are each season. At the moment i am hooked on korean romance comedies.

Archaenon

Post by Archaenon » Apr 25th, '08, 21:27

I usually look more into K-dramas. I like J-dramas too.

There seem to be 10xs as many bad j-dramas for every 1 bad K-drama. Dosen't help I'm learning Korean atm either. So I guess I'm biased in that respect.

I've liked the storylines , the way they are shot , the music and alot of Korean actors more then thier J counterparts.

I still have my J favs though , such as My Boss My Hero ( A remake of a korean movie ) , Nagase , HYD. It's hard for me to remember J ones as I've been not really looking into them. ( I admit I thought the JP hana kimi was awful compared to the TW version , and Yukan Club was bad as well. )

I did like Yamada Taro , actually anything with Arashi , or any Johnnys machine crew in it gets my attention. I auto watch alll Nagase and Arashi dramas instantly.

I do admit I need to watch more on a whim. If I didnt I would of never found out how awesome Brother Beat was. =o

Lifo

Post by Lifo » Apr 25th, '08, 21:37

J-dramas. More realistic, to the point, and the language sounds more pleasant to me.

Issy

Post by Issy » Apr 25th, '08, 21:45

Lifo wrote:J-dramas. More realistic, to the point, and the language sounds more pleasant to me.
I SECOND THIS STRONGLY. Nihongo is the most pleasant language to my ears. :lol

N-chan

Post by N-chan » Apr 29th, '08, 14:06

I <3 J-Dramas ^o^

neuhikari

Post by neuhikari » May 4th, '08, 09:53

well I watch both of them equally. Well I think the original jdramas are better than the korean ones but the adaptation are far more better in korean drama than in jdramas

honeyiceblend

Post by honeyiceblend » May 4th, '08, 11:24

Beecubed wrote:Jdramas definitely gets my vote here...

I started off watching Kdramas and loved it. But then I noticed that the dramas started to get boring, too long and repetitive and cheesy, and the actresses all act the same way... the main focus is on just a few characters too.

I watched 1 Litre of Tears at this point. It changed me. I started to watch Jdramas. Have never set eye on a Kdrama again.

I love how Jdramas tend to emphasise themes such as friendship, teacher-student relations, family/sibling love etc. much more so than Kdramas.
I agree to that. I didn't really watched KDramas, maybe one or two and gave it up in the middle cause it was too draggy. :mrgreen:

I then move more to the TWDramas where all the typical romance dramas is. Until I watched Koizora, and I loved the leads. :P

I watched Jdramas much much more after that. It was boring to be watching romances again and again, especially when they are always about the same storyline. But JDrama is more towards the relationships of friends etc etc, like what you said.

Not to mention their characters are more realistic than those 'forever kind and won't hurt anyone' roles.

Also, I love the way their speak than Korean. I don't know, I personally feel that Korean sounds abit weird.

halona

Post by halona » May 9th, '08, 05:18

Hi Guys,I have to say my vote kdramas a little more.. As much as I like to make fun of kdramas' stereotypes, I still love watching them for some reason. I've enjoyed watching jdramas like Love Generationl .I am a big fan of kdramas.

xvannie

Post by xvannie » May 9th, '08, 05:28

big fan of both but i had to pick Jdramas [x
just cause they are more realistic
& i love the fact that most jdramas are school related with comedy in 'em! [:

minamichan03

hmm... hard to decide?

Post by minamichan03 » May 18th, '08, 15:12

i actually love them both,but if asked if which of the two....
i'll choose jdrama... 8)

i really loved watching kdramas, (especially loved "lovers in paris")... but,as i kept on watching kdramas,i'm a bit bored...
as many says,kdramas are full of love story... and sometimes,the plots are almost the same...
as for jdramas,they have different kinds of varieties of dramas... and they really have amazing ideas of stories...
that's why,i vote for jdrama...
no offense to kdrama-lovers! :D

nysophia

Post by nysophia » May 18th, '08, 15:32

KDRAMAS ALL THE WAY

leenzy

Post by leenzy » May 18th, '08, 15:35

i think i like both Jdramas & KDramas, bcoz both have Good Quality in entertaining me :wub: :wub: :wub: ..ehehe...i started watch JDramas since School (1st Jdrama i've watched was i dont remember but it was about volleyball player, n after that was With Love :wub: :wub: :wub: ) and Kdramas in around year 2002/2003 in University (1st Kdrama i watched was Winter Sonata :wub: :wub: :wub: n then My Love Patzzi, i buy the CD after watching it on TV)..and after that i've fallin in love with KDramas until now, but recently, i like to watch Jdramas more than Kdramas after i watch Hanazakari no Kimitachie...wow, all of Japan Actors/ Actress was great in acting..but that not make Korean's not good, both were Good!!... :salut: :salut: :salut: :wub: :wub: :wub:

fo0d

Re: What do you like more: j-dramas or k-dramas

Post by fo0d » Jun 20th, '08, 09:14

Kdrama > Jdrama

Densha Otoko was my first drama ive ever watched. I really enjoyed it, and started watching several other jdramas. I refuse to watch any others mainly because of my favor towards japanese (half-japanese here). But then i tried to watch something different, kdramas. And i have to say i was blown away by the koreans ability to act. They are by far better than the japanese. After seeing the koreans act, my standards have really risen. If the first 10 minutes of a drama fails to impress me, through their acting, i toss it away. So far it has only been kdramas that manage to get pass my standards.

avieamber
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by avieamber » Jun 20th, '08, 09:51

Jdrama definitely. I grew up watching them when they're shown on national TV. That was BEFORE the Korean wave took over and they cut down japanese shows---> put more Kdramas :roll and now, jdramas are non-existent on the TV nowadays while kdrama still lingers and i never understand why.

I tried watching kdramas before but i'm just not interested. maybe becoz i find japanese actors/actresses more charming and attractive. It's just my preference though.

ackirom

Post by ackirom » Jun 20th, '08, 09:55

I prefer Korean dramas cuz I just feel like I can re-watch the shows over and over and not get tired of it whether it was great or mediocre. Whereas with j-dramas, I like only some of them a lot and the ones I do like, I feel like I can't re-watch them cuz... I just feel so heavily vested in it. Like, it's so emotional. It doesn't help that the language is so figurative and u just know one of those characters is bound to say something metaphorical or other and...right now, I'm really really into Last Friends (j-drama), but I don't think I can watch it again anytime soon. (except for Nodame Cantabile, I can watch that over and over again for some reason)

And I agree with fo0d up there abt the acting in k-dramas. Overall, they're just better. Not that there aren't any great japanese actors/actresses, but I think they're overshadowed by the presence of the "just-there-for-looks" so-called actors.

mattroilanh_tt

Post by mattroilanh_tt » Jun 20th, '08, 10:39

J Drama is the best. I was in love with J Drama a long time ago. Then the TV cut off J Drama show and air K Drama. I admited that K Drama is quite good but they are lack of something. Now, thank you for fansubers, I can download and watch J Drama online. Watching J Drama never let me bored.

ndor

Post by ndor » Jun 23rd, '08, 10:50

umm,,,,
I like J-drama a little more,,
because I often feel so tired if I watch k-drama,, too many episodes and if it's a sad one then that'll be very very sad of the main character...
J-drama is more unique I think,, and there not too many episodes so I never be bored,,,,
but I love both^^

XrayZ

Post by XrayZ » Jun 26th, '08, 12:23

i had to vote on the j-side for this one...

somehow i've never warmed to a single k-drama enough to watch more than a couple episodes. and is it me or are all k-dramas about true love...?

maybe someone could help me by reccommending a k-drama that's not an all-out slushy romance?

japanese crime dramas fascinate me but i also like the way a series might mix crazed humour with atmospheric or high-tension **** (like a less deadpan version of the dark humour found in a lot of yakuza or j-horror flicks)...

and also, tho i love korean actresses (not as often as i want to, mind), korean tv guys are a bit gay looking for my taste :P

i don't understand it cause there are so many cool looking korean actors in movies like Attack the Gas Station or City of Violence... korean movies in general seem to rock, i just realized 3 of the last 5 films i watched were korean!

finally the format, i agree with ndor about episodes! its a pain especially since batch torrents are scarce on d-addicts, but also i like the way the renzoku format focuses the storytelling - it stretches out some aspects of a story and compresses others, usually in an interesting way (sometimes a mess!)

for some reason j-dramas also seem to have more solid endings than a lot of anime series, even if they're based on manga... like in lots of anime the conclusion of the romantic subplot is they tell each other they like each other, whereas in a drama the poor star-cross'd couple are more likely to get a kiss...

my current faves btw are Life, Liar Game, Hana Kimi, SP, Kurosagi and Cutie Honey the Live

gohan11

Post by gohan11 » Jun 26th, '08, 12:40

Been watching J dramas for years and been through dozens of series but since I gave k dramas a try earlier this year i find them much more entertaining. Story is more fleshed out because there is more episodes and each episode itself is longer (hour compared to 45 mins), as well as I feel like in romantic comedies (which are my favorite genre) k dramas tend to be funnier and more emotional.

ackirom

Post by ackirom » Jun 27th, '08, 09:32

XrayZ wrote:somehow i've never warmed to a single k-drama enough to watch more than a couple episodes. and is it me or are all k-dramas about true love...?

maybe someone could help me by reccommending a k-drama that's not an all-out slushy romance?
Hmm, maybe you could try Dae Jang Geum (Jewel In the Palace), which has like 54 eps and imo has 5% romance/love. Then there's The Legend (Tae Wang Sa Shin Gi/First King's Four Guardians) with 24 eps and probably like 10% romance/love. I've heard of Jumong (80+ eps?).. haven't seen it myself, but it doesn't look to have too much romance in it. Thing is, those dramas take place a couple o' hundred years back so if you want a more modern setting, try The Devil (Mawang/Lucifer) and something I recently watched Evasive Inquiry Agency (16 eps) which probably has like 0.001% love aspect :lol

cuteangelika

Post by cuteangelika » Jun 27th, '08, 12:24

i like jdramas a little more solely because of kimutaku..

ok, will stop being a fangirl.... seriously, jdramas are shorter and not really dragging unlike some kdramas that make you feel that they've been stretched to fill the 16 ep-requirement....

XrayZ

Post by XrayZ » Jun 27th, '08, 12:46

jeez, for some reason i didn't expect actual reccommends (more like ppl calling me names!) but thanks ackirom.... i'm too scared to try most the ones u mention but i will give both The Devil and Evasive Inquiry Agency a go!

Crime and horror are my thing, but honestly, i like romance! There's just got to be something else going on too....

neokenzo

Post by neokenzo » Jun 27th, '08, 12:58

For me it depends what drama's are currently released. In the past I've prefered J-dramas but lately I'm more into K-dramas. I just feel that the plot in J-dramas lately are a bit boring imo.

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Jul 2nd, '08, 21:32

First started watching Jdoramas because of Sailormoon (well it's the closest to anime) then Kdramas (more realistic i guess). I like both equally. It really depends on the show, story, actors and genre. I tend to like anything as long as it's done well. Check out my site and you'll see how obsessed I am with dramas.

Though, it does seem I have more Kdramas on my list :scratch: Well the number of animes balances that out. Ahh whatever.

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Jul 2nd, '08, 21:35

[Sorry for double post]
ackirom wrote: Hmm, maybe you could try Dae Jang Geum (Jewel In the Palace), which has like 54 eps and imo has 5% romance/love. Then there's The Legend (Tae Wang Sa Shin Gi/First King's Four Guardians) with 24 eps and probably like 10% romance/love. I've heard of Jumong (80+ eps?).. haven't seen it myself, but it doesn't look to have too much romance in it. Thing is, those dramas take place a couple o' hundred years back so if you want a more modern setting, try The Devil (Mawang/Lucifer) and something I recently watched Evasive Inquiry Agency (16 eps) which probably has like 0.001% love aspect :lol

Jumong, no romance?? Are you kidding me? That's one of the best Korean shows that has the best chemistry among the male and female leads. The romance of the whole story is what grabbed me tightly on finishing the entire 82 episode drama.

Zealousy

Post by Zealousy » Jul 2nd, '08, 21:45

I started watching dramas though Korean dramas, well, the first EVER drama I've seen was Nobuta wo Produce but I thought it was the most boringest thing ever. Barely made it to the middle of episode 3. Anyways, I prefer Korean dramas than Japanese dramas because Koreans know how to make sadder & more romantic dramas. Just like China makes better Historical/Wuxia dramas.

ackirom

Post by ackirom » Jul 2nd, '08, 21:51

garnet07 wrote: Jumong, no romance?? Are you kidding me? That's one of the best Korean shows that has the best chemistry among the male and female leads. The romance of the whole story is what grabbed me tightly on finishing the entire 82 episode drama.
Oh really?? :lol Interesting. I have to see it then. I knew there was a love thing in there, from what was mentioned in The Legend about some queen leaving the king with her 2 kids or whatever, but I didn't think it was the focus. I saw a lil bit of one ep of Jumong on ch.44 where a bunch of old men were sitting in a small round table talking about some plot to ruin some dude that's why :lol

nell123

Post by nell123 » Jul 31st, '08, 22:19

I voted for jdramas mainly because they are shorter and have greater variety of stories.
I can not watch anything longer than 15 episodes. I get bored very quickly and if the drama has more episodes I usually do not watch the end.Even as I am writing I'm having difficulties remembering if I ever watched anything longer than that . Probably not. So jdramas are around 10-13 episodes and that's perfect for me.
The other reason is that I find them far more interesting than kdramas. At least some of them are: LIFE, Zettai Kareshi, Densha Otoko, Seikei Bijin and some others. I guess the korean audience is more conservative and producers try to avoid unusual stories. They usually just stick to romance and comedy and rarely do anything else.
Kdramas have their good sides too: hotter male leads, better music, higher budget and more attention to details.But even that is not enough to compensate for the draggy and repetitive stories and cloned females. I just hate when they ruin a good drama just because they cast pretty faces with zero acting skills (but I must confess that sometimes jdramas have the same flaw because they are plagued with JE boys).

marnnoi

Post by marnnoi » Aug 9th, '08, 22:12

I'm the one who started with Kdrama but end up with Jdrama !
I chose Jdrama coz it was shoter than Kdrama and also made you cry or laugh at the same level, It had greater variety of stories than Kdrama, and I had some prejudice with Kdrama; it made me feel that cancer was Korea's nation illness (sorry for saying s'th like this but it my true feeling when knowing that the heroines/heros died becoz of this illness at the end of the drama....How can EVERONE die becoz of cancer in EVERY/MOST OF series)

Anyway, I love Kdrama's soundtracks, many of those are,sometimes,better than Jdrama's soundtracks.

xiah1fan

Post by xiah1fan » Aug 9th, '08, 22:17

K-DRAMAS!!!!!!!
ahahaah, maybe becoz the main actor are more manly, and the storyline's got alot more excitning, LIKE IlJiMae!! AHH soo in 2 that drama JUNKII!!!

xiah1fan

Post by xiah1fan » Aug 9th, '08, 22:22

marnnoi wrote:I'm the one who started with Kdrama but end up with Jdrama !
AHAHH Lol, Me it was the other way round, I started with J.drama ended up wit K.drama, I didnt like that J-dramas soo short compaerd with k-dramas, I even tried out TW -dramas ...but thoes are wayy to many ep. But but i ended up with k-dramas and i cant stop lovin them,
Korea's nation illness (sorry for saying s'th like this but it my true feeling when knowing that the heroines/heros died becoz of this illness at the end of the drama....How can EVERONE die becoz of cancer in EVERY/MOST OF series)
ehh dont like does dramas either, quite sure nobody does!!, Korea's nation illness , I hate that 2 but what can i do, I'm in LOOOVE