What do you like more: j-dramas or k-dramas

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.

Which do you like more: j-dramas or k-dramas?

j-dramas a lot more
40%
j-dramas a little more
5%
both equally
8%
both equally
8%
k-dramas a little more
11%
k-dramas a lot more
29%

Total votes: 669

BT-Slut

What do you like more: j-dramas or k-dramas

Post by BT-Slut » Jan 1st, '05, 18:11

I'm just curious to see what other's think.

If you would like to add a qualitative msg as to why you like one over the other, please do. I'm interested to see what others say.

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by iceberri » Jan 1st, '05, 18:32

I'd have to say my vote was somewhere between "kdramas a little more" and "kdramas a lot more"... Although I like watching jdramas, few have the ability to evoke tears like kdramas do. As much as I like to make fun of kdramas' stereotypes, I still love watching them for some reason. I've enjoyed watching jdramas like Love Generation and Konna Koi no Hanashi, but whilst I can watch kdrama after kdrama, I don't feel that same urge with jdramas. Never-the-less, it's nice to switch up the tastebuds once in a while, but I'm still a loyal kdrama fan. :mrgreen:

gullybe

Post by gullybe » Jan 1st, '05, 19:15

I don't know if my vote is valid coz I only watch k-dramas. :D

But from the looks of the result, I didn't expect that more people are watching j-dramas. is it really better than k-drama? :unsure:
Last edited by gullybe on Jan 1st, '05, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.

Takez0
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Takez0 » Jan 1st, '05, 19:17

I started watching J-dramas back in the days, so it's still my first love and priority.
Jdoramas are still more realistic a not so overly emotional

LittleGreenGrasshopper
Geinou
Geinou

Post by LittleGreenGrasshopper » Jan 1st, '05, 19:57

I'd have to say that I still prefer jdrama over kdrama, seeing that I have more favorite jdramas than kdramas at the moment. Of course, like Takez0, I started out watching jdrama first, so there'll always be something special about that. Though, of late, I've started seeing some kdramas that are quite good, and who knows, in the future, the balance may have shifted over to the kdrama side. In the meantime, it's still on the jdrama side (haven't found anything that can rival Pride and Ace Wo Warae yet).

Cheers.
Last edited by LittleGreenGrasshopper on Jan 2nd, '05, 06:09, edited 1 time in total.

Learner

Post by Learner » Jan 1st, '05, 21:03

I dont know why but I find Jdrama pretty boring. I watched the first 2 eps of Gokusen and it did not appeal to me. I've watched some parts of Summer snow and think it's OK but the male cast does not appeal to me and never finished watching it. Maybe I have not found the rite 1 to watch so lost interest in.
3 years ago I watched The doctor's brother (I think) and found it boring while so many people loved it. It was not until around a year ago when some1 lend me a copy of dubbed Glass shoes that I truly love Kdramas and hooked on. since then I found D-ADDICTS and as they said the rest is history. The subs version is heaps better! in short I just love Kdramas :D

miriko

Post by miriko » Jan 1st, '05, 21:08

I started out by watching jdramas, but then I started to like watching kdramas... I think that when kdramas do a funny drama its funnier than a japanese one, and when kdrama does a sad drama its sadder.... I discovered I like Kdrama a little more than jdrama, but there are still some amazing jdramas out there!!!!!

zdoon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by zdoon » Jan 1st, '05, 21:29

i'm not going to vote since i haven't seen more than a few j dramas. but i know that at their worst k dramas are (repetitively) insulting to intelligence while, at their worst, j dramas put me to sleep within the first 20 minutes. funny about the latter since a few anime series still make up some of the most memorable stories and characters i've seen. one wouldn't expect j doramas to be so dry, considering.

as for k dramas, i think it's getting better. technically it's been around for quite some time (judging by my parents' going to vid store and renting tapes propensity) but i'd say, the way it is, it's relatively new and has a lot of potential for growth and expansion, and what not. yep.

StrangerInTheNight

Post by StrangerInTheNight » Jan 2nd, '05, 02:37

I gave the edge to K-dramas based purely on one drama: K-drama I'm Sorry, I Love You( AKA MiSa). Call me biased cuz I just finished watching the series and I'm still high on emotion, but I think that was perhaps the most flawless drama I've been blessed to see in a long time, maybe ever.

Before MiSa, I would have probably said I like them about the same, seeing as how I like them for different reasons. K - dramas has its unabashed appeal towards the dramatic and constant emotional tugs. J- dramas has its story diversity and its real worldliness. Because of this, they respectively affect me in unique ways and it's impossible to say which is more likeable. As the Beatles so famously sang, "in my life, I've loved them all".

But then I watched MiSa. Seriously folks, that was some powerful storytelling. This one drama alone had the power to give the edge to K-dramas, in my humble opinion.

msgoodygal

Easy decision for me

Post by msgoodygal » Jan 2nd, '05, 02:54

Since I've only ever watched Kdramas, K-dramas are my choice. There are too many of them for me to even try to get to Jdoramas.

BUT: I HAVE TO SAY THIS: before seeing ANY new ones added, I'd like to see the ones posted already as RAW to be posted with SUBS, and the series that were started and never finished, like THOUSAND YEARS OF LOVE, to be finished.

Linda

pockiiee
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pockiiee » Jan 2nd, '05, 03:09

Hmm, I'd have to go with both equally;

I think that on the whole I prefer K-dramas, especially the recent ones, but I don't speak Korean so I'm limited to those that I've seen subbed. I'm Sorry I love you is a really good example of this. Korean dramas tend to get me hooked, but can be rather predictable on the whole if you watch too many of them. I like all the romantic tension as well. But the endings! Most are so dissapointing/sad, and the 10 commandments of K-drama really get to me at times. I love them anyway....

However, I've seen some really great J-dramas that have thrown me, so unpredictable like A million stars, Sleeping Forest, and on the whole I think the acting is better most of the time. My all time favorites are J-dramas.

I think TW dramas are underrated - there are some really good ones like Mars and the Rose, I wish more were subtitled in English.

armaniboi

J-Dramas Hands Down

Post by armaniboi » Jan 2nd, '05, 03:32

First of all, Japanese dramas aren't all the same. Korea just has some problem with being too melodramatic which is why for the most part, I like self-contained Korean movies more than the dramas because at least you know it will end in two hours. I don't think I can ever watch another Korean drama with car-accidents/amnesia/terminal-illness, and I think it even makes me never want to see one that deals with those in Japanese or Chinese dramas either. I mean, I liked Lover in Paris a lot just because noone died.

Another comparison I make is that you want the Japanese dramas to go on longer (since Jdramas are around 10, and Kdramas go on to 20), feeling it was cut short, while in most cases, you feel that Korean dramas should have ended at episode 5. I find the problem with a lot of Korean dramas is flow. They tend to drag on and be repetitive for example: back and forth - people like each other at different points, they won't say how they feel, etc.

However, despite all these factors, I think the main problem is being realistic. Korean dramas are just too far-fetched. I do not need to feel compelled to cry, but feel compelled to feel. JDramas like Koi ga Shitai make you wonder about love, wondering if you really are in love and why you do the things you do. GTO appeals on a level of friendship as well as family like those of Oyaji and Love and Peace. Where I'm going with this is that it seems JDramas are less selfish than KDramas. KDramas are usually centered around the happiness of one or two people, while JDramas never fail to focus on a wide cast of characters, each with their own depth and understanding. JDramas seem a lot more well-rounded compared to those of Korean dramas.

tailchaser

Post by tailchaser » Jan 2nd, '05, 03:46

I haven't seen that many k-dramas yet. I am starting to like them more. My favorite dramas are Japanese. But here's what I think so far: k-dramas are to j-dramas what American television is to British television. In addition, IRL Koreans are more like Americans (or maybe Australians) and Japanese are more like the British.

blackstarjr

Post by blackstarjr » Jan 2nd, '05, 04:25

I like jdramas more because I started out watchin jdrama first plus I understand it even if is unsubbed (90% of dialogue).Been watchin anime for ~9yrs or so somehow started to understand jap.Plus the story lines in most jdramas have a wide range.Where as kdrama,the ones that I have watched almost all kinda had the same feeling and story lines almost same, and you knew how it would end right from the beginning.Even though I like it, without subs I donn understand a single word..well maybe one.Even if I like the series, if I cannot understand what I am watchin kinda makes me not watch it, as the language barrier just splits my brain in half :crazy: .

habukie
AiRen
AiRen

Post by habukie » Jan 2nd, '05, 05:14

i started by watching jdramas subbed in chinese (mukodono, itazura na kiss, long vacation, love story, love revolution) because i was in taiwan at the time. the few kdramas that i watched (tomato, four sisters) or tried to watch (hotelier) were not very impressive. i didn't even finish the first episode of hotelier, though i did like four sisters. then i didn't watch anything after coming back to the states. my friends got me started on twdrama (meteor garden, my mvp valentine) a while later, and for a while i was hooked on twdrama. then i decided to give kdramas another chance when i ran out of twdramas to download. since then, i've been pretty much watching kdramas exclusively, except for a few twdramas now and again. i've found that i really like kdramas, though i still like jdramas and twdramas. at this moment, i'd have to vote that i like kdramas a little more than jdramas, just because my kdrama craze is still on the upswing. however, my feelings might change again, once i get the chance to watch some of the jdramas and twdramas that i have on the harddrive. i guess what i'm saying is that my tastes change... :roll

ooijanice

Post by ooijanice » Jan 2nd, '05, 05:14

Havn't watch that many Jdramas to truly judge. At the moment I am hooked on K dramas ever since Beaitiful Days. Before that I never surf the net for forums like this but D-Addists is slowly opening doors to Jdramas for me. So far i have not d/l any jdramas yet, waiting for a good series with Eng. sub. to start me off.
Kamsamida D- Addicts for all those wonderful Eng. Sub. Kdramas. :D :D :D

nixxienixxie

Post by nixxienixxie » Jan 2nd, '05, 05:16

I actually like Jdoramas ALOT better. I've tried watching kdramas, and while they could be entertaining, mostly they're very long. And melodramatic. And character development is not so good, like the good characters are really good, and the bad characters are really evil.

Bad characters do alot of eye-rolling too, lol, it's kind of overdone. Just something I noticed. I mean there are other less blatant ways to portray antagonism, right? :)

Bright girl was good though. And I liked my sassy girl,although that's a movie and not a drama.

StrangerInTheNight

Post by StrangerInTheNight » Jan 2nd, '05, 05:34

armaniboi this is what you wrote ...
I think the main problem is being realistic. Korean dramas are just too far-fetched. I do not need to feel compelled to cry, but feel compelled to feel. JDramas like Koi ga Shitai make you wonder about love, wondering if you really are in love and why you do the things you do. GTO appeals on a level of friendship as well as family like those of Oyaji and Love and Peace...
To be fair, GTO is just as far fetched as anything you would find in a Korean drama. The idea that a real teacher can do half the things Onizuka does, not get sent to prison, but actually become a hero for it is as far fetched as, if not moreso, than , say, someone getting in an accident and losing his memory due to head injury.

A bunch of Korean dramas also make me wonder about love, wondering if I am really in love and why I do the things I do.

Oh yeah, you never see appeal to family in Korean dramas. (note the sarcasm in that last sentence.)

Seriously, I respect most people's opinions and most give me a fodder for thought. But your logic is missing so many steps that it's flawed, and therefore I can't take you seriously/

Jannah
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by Jannah » Jan 2nd, '05, 05:52

Well, I only watch K-dramas so I'm not voting... But it's interesting to read what have been posted in this thread. Maybe if I actually have the time one day (after clearing my huge backlog of K-dramas) I might venture into J-dramas. :P

BT-Slut

Re: J-Dramas Hands Down

Post by BT-Slut » Jan 2nd, '05, 17:03

armaniboi wrote:
However, despite all these factors, I think the main problem is being realistic. Korean dramas are just too far-fetched. I do not need to feel compelled to cry, but feel compelled to feel. JDramas like Koi ga Shitai make you wonder about love, wondering if you really are in love and why you do the things you do. GTO appeals on a level of friendship as well as family like those of Oyaji and Love and Peace. Where I'm going with this is that it seems JDramas are less selfish than KDramas. KDramas are usually centered around the happiness of one or two people, while JDramas never fail to focus on a wide cast of characters, each with their own depth and understanding. JDramas seem a lot more well-rounded compared to those of Korean dramas.
armaniboi, that is so well said. My biggest problems with k-dramas are that it's so silly and fluffy and pointless and most of all so self-centric. It's always just about the few characters' love life. It makes the entire genre of k-dramas to be so petty. And the stupid, repetitive arguments they have over and over and over just get so annoying. You go away with nothing of substance. j-dramas are almost always about something bigger. It makes you ask questions about love and life and the goodness of being in general. You said it so well above, armaniboi.

BT-Slut

Post by BT-Slut » Jan 2nd, '05, 17:25

StrangerInTheNight wrote: To be fair, GTO is just as far fetched as anything you would find in a Korean drama. The idea that a real teacher can do half the things Onizuka does, not get sent to prison, but actually become a hero for it is as far fetched as, if not moreso, than , say, someone getting in an accident and losing his memory due to head injury.

A bunch of Korean dramas also make me wonder about love, wondering if I am really in love and why I do the things I do.

Oh yeah, you never see appeal to family in Korean dramas. (note the sarcasm in that last sentence.)

Seriously, I respect most people's opinions and most give me a fodder for thought. But your logic is missing so many steps that it's flawed, and therefore I can't take you seriously/
Cut the pompus crap StrangerInTheNight. I haven't seen GTO, so I will refrain from commenting on your first comment, but pray tell, what k-dramas are deep and profound enough to actually make you "wonder about love and if you're really in love?" There's nothing deep about the silly, sophmoric k-dramas dealing with teen-pop/fan-girl fantasies. If you're a rich American educated k-boy working at a top company, then you get the poor but hot looking k-chick. Oh that's so deep, so profound, and so novel; it compels one to really think about love. God.. gag me with a cow.

I'd actually like to see some good k-dramas. But to date, it's all crap. I've only been able to sit through two entire dramas: Hotelier and Full House. And only because of KPC. I tried Firebird and that got so morose. I tried First Love Prince and that was so contrived and stupid and had to stop watching it after 4 eps.

I'll tell you a secret which good writers adhere to: succinctness.

The screenwriters for any and all k-dramas need to go to school and learn this concept.

DKaneko

Comparing...

Post by DKaneko » Jan 2nd, '05, 18:42

Japanese drama is alot alot alot better..
not being bias or anything...

I've seen Korean dramas too, they get better as the story goes on.......
the problem is that they take too long to get into the story... and sometimes may b is the translation or the Dub.. the humour is not that funny.......

Whereas in Japanese drama, the story often limit the amount of episodes to 12 and story developes very well. The humour is funny...etc

me :)

zdoon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by zdoon » Jan 2nd, '05, 19:41

I think "profundity" in any drama is overrated, or, it's certainly not everything; there are many aspects to judge and appreciate when assessing a show. If it's a rom com, then you judge it by chemistry and its humor: Are the jokes well conceived, intelligently produced? And then you hope you're not critically misapprehending the show, its mood, style, or else. On another note, I always thought that if a drama makes you think of "love" or its meaning, then you have to be naive in some way looking for the tidbits on life you should be learning away from the screen. For some (me for instance), those tidbits in the drama at worst are boring -- contrived, if you will, extrapolations of pretentiously introverted tedium that takes itself, a tv show, way too seriously.

That said, I'm currently in the midst of downloading A Milliion Falling Stars (the reviews have gotten me interested) and Kamisama, the first episode of which I've seen (loved) already - but doesn't the character of the lead, Kyoko Fukada, have aids in this one?

Adding my additional cents. :)

jaycee05
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by jaycee05 » Jan 2nd, '05, 22:58

Which one do you like more? Kdrama

iceberri answered the why part of that question so well , but to repeat the content:
kdramas leave u wanting for more, and most jdramas, they conclude the substory on each episode, so you can watch them in your own pace.
I'm a sucker for romance, that I could easily fall for these over-the-top cliched plots.
and yet, I could still tell which storylines are borderline trash. It doesn't mean that all dramas which have unrealistic plots are bad though. Most great books and movies(talking about international fame=mostly made in the USA) are fiction anyway. The bottom line is there are good kdramas out there( and I understand Stranger's biased sentiments with this topic when he/she just finished one of them).

Which one is better? Jdrama

Beause I've seen so many bad and stupid kdramas and never encountered any on jdramas...I would have to say jdramas storylines are well done most of the time. I may not get overemotional when watching them(except for some eg.Kamisama), but I could still appreciate their well-roundedness.
armaniboi wrote: Where I'm going with this is that it seems JDramas are less selfish than KDramas. KDramas are usually centered around the happiness of one or two people, while JDramas never fail to focus on a wide cast of characters, each with their own depth and understanding. JDramas seem a lot more well-rounded compared to those of Korean dramas.
ne mari :mrgreen:
zdoon wrote: On another note, I always thought that if a drama makes you think of "love" or its meaning, then you have to be naive in some way looking for the tidbits on life you should be learning away from the screen
:lol hahaha, I might as well be laughing at myelf...I don't usually look out for love tidbits though...but for example, Love Generation, when Teppei is learning to like his job, and how he hated it...I usually incorporate this little scenario when dealing with troubled cousins and friends who are new at their job...and give them the same advice as Teppei's realization. haha...well, that says much how jdramas could be applied in real life :-)

I couldnt really choose between the two of them, because choosing one means that one is better or more liked than the other and doing so would make me a hypocrite when I actually enjoyed them both. It's better to compare two dramas instead of two types...

As for BT-Slut feelings toward kdrama...that's probably what I feel towards twdrama/cdrama...*gagged* talking about the ones that ive tried to watch and the ones that I've finished and felt tortured while watching them...omg....most of them are so cheesy and painful to watch :pale: ....I dunno how others could bear watching them...
good to know, I'm growing up and getting over these teeny-bopper stuffs though

clouds421
Reviewer
Reviewer

Post by clouds421 » Jan 3rd, '05, 07:05

I kinda of share a little bit of what everybody have said. I like varying what I watch.

Even if dramas are only entertainment, I've always believed that there's some element connecting to life which makes it appeals to us--I usually find myself identifying similarities, differences, personal reaction (if I were in his/her shoes, ...? from how I have grown to learn about this character, what kind of person is he/she, what type of decisions he/she would make). I don't see it as learning about life, but as reflecting about life. These are the same behaviors we would apply towards real people.
BT-Slut wrote:sophmoric k-dramas dealing with teen-pop/fan-girl fantasies
Perhaps true to a certain degree. Kdramas also have the ability to put charming (not mentioning good looking) actors & actresses on screen. The cinematography of recent works have also been pretty good. But it seems like this "pop genre" is what viewers are interested in. Also, as non-Koreans, we're reduced to these dramas which draw mass appeal. Without totuta, I would have never been able to watch Sandglass or Ireland--2 kdramas I found distinctly separate from this.

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Jan 3rd, '05, 14:40

i chose k-dramas over j-dramas. i don't know why....but i get all giddy when new episodes of the k-dramas that i'm watching come out....and i do the same for jdramas. it's only when after they're downloaded.....i tend to open the kdrama files first. at times, jdramas can put me to sleep...maybe it's the dark contrast as opposed to the light colors of kdramas.

but then, there are a couple of jdramas that i love and i do have a few favorite japanese actors....but then again...more so in kdramas and actors than jdramas and jap actors.

nxi4

ganbare nippon!!

Post by nxi4 » Jan 3rd, '05, 16:38

i have yet to watch a korean drama yet, so i am not able to compare the two.

and as long as i do not watch a korean drama, i will never be able to comprehend why the dramas and the actors are so popular here in japan right now. its funny that if this poll was surveyed to japanese public, at the current time i think kdrama would win flat out!

as a student of japanese, i loved it as i could watch a popular jdrama and study the language just by watching. but i also learn about (japanese) culture, (j) customs, (j) family values, (j) way of thinking etc. which is all very useful when trying to live here.

so when all the korean dramas started appearing on tv i have had a somewhat bias against them. they usually broadcast japanese "voice over" rather than japanese subtitles and friends say that i should definitely watch them, but for a british person to watch a korean drama dubbed into japanese is just too ridiculous for me :crazy:

whether it be j, k, c or whatever, i hope that d-addicts continue to prosper!!

cheers,

Pinch

Jdrama or Kdrama?

Post by Pinch » Jan 3rd, '05, 17:02

Personally, I think both have their own strength. Kdrama maybe too melodramatic and repetitive, but there are some really good kdramas out there. Some of my favourites are "Happy Together" and "In Her House"- which is pretty realistic (No rich K-hunk gets hooked with pretty K-chick here. Just a middle-upper class rebelious chick hooking with poor hunk against their family consent). Kdramas strengths lie in their good looking casts, intriguing and complex love story, ability to jerk tears and a certain X factor charm.

Jdramas are more all-rounded. They have some really powerful, complex and unforgettable dramas (like Aoi Tori), yet some of the characters are too optimistic (eg Shota no Sushi). I haven't watched a sleeping forest or a million stars falling from the sky, so i cannot say for those kinds of jdramas.

I think it's better to have a varieties of dramas rather than just stick to 1 type of dramas. Alternate light hearted dramas with darker ones. Doesn't matter whether it's jdrama or kdrama.

This is out of topic, but my all time favourite would be chinese dramas. (Hongkong, tw, sg). I dunno why, but for me, chinese dramas are more 'watchable'. But well, sometime their endings are not satisfying enough.. So far, seem like jdramas endings are better than all other dramas.

ericf
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ericf » Jan 3rd, '05, 18:05

I voted for J-dramas. I like, love, them much more than I do korean dramas.
Why?
Well, I guess I should say the approach is different.
Japanese dramas seem to be always well written and with well rounded characters.
Kdramas are usually too long and the writers tend to make characters one dimensional.

I'm a literature lover and I can see how well the Japanese dramas are made whereas the Koran dramas tend to be of less quality in most things.

Also, and this might get me a few sneers but it is my own feeling, I have a bit of a problem with Korean language. I love the Japanese language but in the Korean dramas that I've seen there are a few "utterances" that are repeated over and over again. Short words or just sounds that really make me wonder who cast these actors. I don't know how "normal" these are if you compare to an ordinary korean person but I'm getting quite annoyed at this. I never encountered this in a japanese drama.

So, for me japanese droamas are the best.

Korean dramas that I like quite a lot are:
Full House, Bright Girl's Success Story and My Lover Paitzi (not sure the spelling is correct). I guess I liked Attic Cat as well but it suffered from the never changing character problem. That is, no character developement att all.

Think about it: watching 16 hours of Korean drama without any character development or watching about 8 hours of Jdrama with plenty of character development (of course not all jdoramas are well written just like not all kdroams are poorly written). Which do you prefer?
ericf

Scandalous

-

Post by Scandalous » Jan 3rd, '05, 19:32

I like both types of dramas equally. I like both types more than american dramas, just because they don't last for years.

In short, KDRAMA is repeatitive and predictable yet for some reason still addictive.

Most JDRAMA is like the american version of Full House, there is always a positive message at the end of every eps. :D

armaniboi

Post by armaniboi » Jan 4th, '05, 19:45

Well first of all, I wasn't hoping to get semi-flamed. I was just hoping to put in my opinion in what I have observed over the various dramas I've watched.
StrangerInTheNight wrote:
To be fair, GTO is just as far fetched as anything you would find in a Korean drama. The idea that a real teacher can do half the things Onizuka does, not get sent to prison, but actually become a hero for it is as far fetched as, if not moreso, than , say, someone getting in an accident and losing his memory due to head injury.
Well, of course not, it's based off a manga and the far-fetched nature isn't compared to what you get out of it. You aren't revelling in his super-human abilities. You care about the relationship between teacher and student, the problems that people have in their lives, things that I can relate to. This isn't some cancer so and so where you cry for pity.
StrangerInTheNight wrote:
Well, I've only seen Stairway to Heaven, Lover in Paris, Full House, and Sangdoo. Stairway to Heaven, the family was broken and the father was so oblivious to even care for a family. Lover in Paris, the family was just a big burden and still not a primary part of the story. Full House, it was close but it still wasn't a main component of the story. Sangdoo, yeah there was a little but still nothing that can compare to stuff that I've seen in Japanese dramas.

And I don't think it's naive to think about love and its meaning. Love is a part of life, and if you ever find something in life that makes you think, then you do. You think about facets of life in class, through books, through conversations with friends, so why should a movie, TV show, or drama be much different?

I mean yes, it all comes down to preference. And to me, I prefer things that I can relate to more. I can relate to not being able to hear like the girl in Orange Days who does so amazingly well to evocate the emotion of her role. The drama also deals with students at my place in life: in college wondering whether their direction in life were the right ones.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone but I didn't mean to say that KDramas were overly inferior, it's just my preference and belief as something of which its call for emotion and tears doesn't warrant mine.

yakitori

Post by yakitori » Jan 4th, '05, 23:09

Am really surprised that most people love J Dramas alot more than K. I voted for "Love K a little more than J". I really love both types. J Dramas are really nice and have smart humor. K dramas are either wacky and outrageously funny or very emotional and make you cry for hours. On the whole i prefer K dramas (except the tragic endings) and can't get enough of them, but i feel that most J dramas get a little repetitive after awhile.

On the whole, i can't do without both K & J, so a BIG Thank You to D-Addicts, seeders and everyone who makes downloads possible!!!
:D

amethyst

Post by amethyst » Jan 5th, '05, 03:03

i'd love to watch jdrama...i saw a bit watching it online...think it was love revolution and that's about it...i can't d/l too much cause it's time consuming so i stick to kdrama...though i'd like to explore more of jdrama....so for me it's kdrama even though the storylines are predictable.

Mattman

Post by Mattman » Jan 5th, '05, 11:42

JDrama, i must agree they make you think about your own behaviour. That's nice, plus i think they are better at telling stories, and i'm well.... story-addicted. The only really good series i've seen until now are either japanese or taiwanese (but they're based on japanese manga, so :D)
and about GTO being fake.... that's true, but it isn't supposed to be realistic, it's comedy

jellybean

Post by jellybean » Jan 5th, '05, 18:07

hmm...I think Jdramas deal with broader issues better, they explore different emotions better and elicit different emotions from me rather than crying my eyes out...I also like the poetic sides to Jdramas which may be related to the culture as everything is seen as art, symbolic...of meaning. I personally view dramas as lighthearted entertainment, so I don't like it when Jdramas get all serious and all (exception> I loved Forbidden Love, partially due to Takki eye candy). But I mostly love Jdramas as they capture something magic between the characters, not necessarily created by a big fancy house, massive CEO run company or a suave expensive car or some uber **** to stir things up(which seems what a lot of Kdramas rely on) for e.g in Jdramas I love the eating scenes, just...very warm and genuine!!!

......although Kdramas are very comical, mushy and brighter... =lighthearted entertainment

En conclus....

Kdramas - fun and girly
Jdramas - poignancy and realism

byagi

Post by byagi » Jan 5th, '05, 18:26

Let me jump into this topic, I watch 95% JDramas simply because when I watched Winter Sonata and Autumn Tale, I felt it was totally ridiculous (no insult, my harsh opinion). I watched Winter Sonata, and I could not watch episode 11 and beyond simply because the main girl does not know what the heck she's doing. I was able to finish Autumn Tale but then again, the story is simply about the main girl going between two guys back and forth not knowing what she's doing. I went back to this Japan this winter vacation and I was just very dissapointed with all the korean fever in Japan, I just don't understand what is so much better over JDramas and its actors. To name some JDramas that will bring you tears, The Way I Live, The Way We Live, Beautilful Life, Hotman, Itoshi Kimie, Century Story, Orange Days. So yes, I think JDrama's a lot better.

Kai Lien
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Kai Lien » Jan 7th, '05, 05:31

Most kdramas are 16-20 episodes, that hardly makes it too long! I think they can get real draggy at times but if you liked a series wouldn't you want it to be a little longer? I would.

I have never seen a jdrama before so I couldn't compare. I've watched bits and pieces and I thought they were really boring. I want to give it a try but between all the c and k dramas out there, there is just no time. My favorite type of asian drama would probably be chinese ones. I find them very enjoyable, especially the ancient type ones. However, I do not like Taiwanese Idol dramas! To put it lightly, they're boring, most of them can't act, and to top it all off there is a major lack of attractive actors in tw series! It saddens me that there are barely any c-dramas here for you all to watch. Then again maybe you all woudn't be too interested...

hakurey

Post by hakurey » Jan 8th, '05, 04:23

for your stats k-dramas a little more :-)
but then again, i've seen more jdramas, only cause i manage to fit 5 jdramas in between a kdrama.
Just like you and me we just want to be entertained once in awhile, or maybe all the time since you guys are here at d-addicts.
Most of the stories are bullshi/fiction that's improbable in real life but some linger in your thoughts for awhile longer and become your favaourite.
Oh well, I must get back to being entertained by Full House now. :D

wakopin

Post by wakopin » Jan 13th, '05, 03:40

I agree with what BT-Slut says about the K-Dramas. While I did enjoy Bulsae, I thought it dragged on foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrr, they could have done it in 16 and it would have been much better. The 26 episode thing was killing me especially when it seemed like 1/2 the episode was spent running flashback footage to previous episodes. It's really true that succinctness is very important (unlike this post). That's one reason why I really love J-Dramas. They are 10 to 14 episodes. There is a story arch thoughout the whole series, where each episode may be self-contained or not, but nonetheless leads to the eventual resolution of the whole story.

In fact I think this is a superior aspect of J-dramas over the standard television series that runs on until the network cancels it or the actors tire of doing the same thing over and over. When a drama is good, they can extend it to a new series, or have the same actors perform similar characters in a new story. Most series extensions like the Salaryman Kintaro and Hotman seem to pale by comparison to the original -- the only successful extension I've seen has been Trick. But that is the nature of the Trick series in itself, two or three episode units, then on to the next supernatural debunking with an underlying story about the romance between the two main characters. Ah, milk from a flat-breasted cow, but I digress.

There won't be Beautiful Life 2 or a Million Stars Fall From the Sky, but that's ok, those series can be watched over and over again and enjoyed that way. I guess they can have a terminal illness love story series like "First Love" did with student and teacher... Or a brother sister incest fest, nevermind they already do that and KimuTaku seems to star in all of those...

Moreover, to me the 12 Episode series might actually better for actors because it allows them to work in a variety of roles and characters (although some actors, like Masakazu Tamura, seem to play the same character no matter what series they are in).

J dramas are not perfect, I've seen my share of those that I've hated. The worst one I can immediately recall is Koibumi (love letter). I can't stand the fact that this guy's wife was such a dish rag. But on the whole, I've enjoyed most I've seen, and really loved some others, like Strawberry on the Shortcake, which actually are really flawed, but the best ones stick with you for a long time.

So I guess I think the best thing about J dramas is the writing. Things are not always happy endings, they deal with all sort of life's difficulties and when they are successful at the form, they are concise and fluid. That's not to say K-dramas always have happy endings, they don't but... I just like J dramas better...

I will watch the Love Letter K-drama to see if it changes my mind (it's only 16 episodes)

J-Dramas =>

Camui

Hmm

Post by Camui » Jan 13th, '05, 10:48

I voted j-dramas a lot more. There tends to be more stuff that catches my interest j-drama wise than k-drama.

lbhismyoppa

Post by lbhismyoppa » Jan 13th, '05, 13:19

I would have to say I LIKE K-DRAMAS A LOT more than J-dramas simply for the reason that I have been digging K-dramas much much longer... but some J-dramas are amazingly well done as well..

Beautiful Life :cry:
My Son In-Law :lol :lol :lol
GTO :lol :lol :lol

Cheers!!!
:roll :roll :roll

lbhismyoppa

Post by lbhismyoppa » Jan 13th, '05, 13:28

SORRY, MY QUESTION IS NOT RELATED TO THE POLE!!!

HABUKIE, PLEASE TELL ME THE NAME OF THE GUY YOU HAVE AS YOUR LEFT BANNER.... I RECOGNIZE HIM FROM "THE CLASSIC" AS THE FAINTING FRIEND AND "FROM THE COOL" GUY AS THE SEN-BAE OF SONG SEUNG HUN OPPA...

"TOTALLY FELL IN LOVE WITH HIS HEIGHT...PRAISE HIM FOR HIS TRANSFORMATION... WOULD DEFINITELY LIKE TO SEE MORE OF HIM!!!" :P :P :P

expo1970

Post by expo1970 » Jan 13th, '05, 14:03

korean dramas remind me of japanese drama thirty years ago. japanese tv used to be like those that are being shown in korea right now. very melodramatic, similar to american day time soap operas. plot twists like "OH MY GOD YOU'RE MY BROTHER!" "I LOST MY MEMORY!" are kind of overly dramatic and unrealistic.

japanese drama is very influenced by korean tv these last few years and has had many "korean style" dramas recently. very dramatic and unrealistic shows like "tokyo wankei" almost mirror korean dramas.

however japanese viewers have always really liked the japanese style of humble, simple, quiet everyday life in dramas.take for example the most famous love story in japan last year, "sekai no chuusin de ai wo sakebu." the story is nothing special. the characters don't take drastic actions. the characters don't display extreme passion or sadness. it's definitely a difference in culture existing from way back since the start of korean and japanese cultures. koreans are definitely a more passionate race than us, japanese.

humorous japanese dramas can never be fully appreciated by foreigners though. there's no way. we have a very very unique language and humor here is only understood by those who can fully understand the language. but if you can understand the humor, it's probably the highest quality humor in the world. i've never laughed more than when i watch japanese tv.

whenever i watch korean drama i start laughing because of the serious music and overly exaggerated expressions. but that's because i'm used to japanese style i guess. well, in conclusion, i voted for jdrama a lot more than kdrama.

xiaryx
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by xiaryx » Jan 13th, '05, 20:15

I always thought Jdorama is the best. When I first started watching korean drama, I was hooked by hot girls like Song Hye Kyo and the tear jerking stories. But after a while, they all seem the same and I kind of got bored. Alot of them seem to be alot longer than they should (maybe to get more revenue out of it?)
On the other hand Jdorama has a way of grabbing its audience. It is also alot more didactic than jdrama, and the constant outcries of "gambale" makes me want to try harder each time. :P Some of the great shows like koukou kyoshi and Aoi Tori brings drama to a new level of artform, something that just couldnt be done by kdramas.

ShaolinMunky

Post by ShaolinMunky » Jan 13th, '05, 20:35

I honestly prefer jdrama, that doesn't mean I hate K-dramas :-) but I just like jdramas more.

apples

Post by apples » Jan 13th, '05, 20:38

xiaryx wrote:I always thought Jdorama is the best. When I first started watching korean drama, I was hooked by hot girls like Song Hye Kyo and the tear jerking stories. But after a while, they all seem the same and I kind of got bored. Alot of them seem to be alot longer than they should (maybe to get more revenue out of it?)
On the other hand Jdorama has a way of grabbing its audience. It is also alot more didactic than jdrama, and the constant outcries of "gambale" makes me want to try harder each time. :P Some of the great shows like koukou kyoshi and Aoi Tori brings drama to a new level of artform, something that just couldnt be done by kdramas.
I think I voted for kdrama a little more.

When I first watched a kdrama, I got so hooked to it that I searched for more. I stumbled on pretty good ones. They were very emotional or hilarious that I couldn't get over them for a long time. However, when I saw others, such as autumn tale... I got bored... and annoyed with the story and the characters (thank goodness I watched fullhouse before it!) instead of being entertained. But I haven't lost hope in kdramas. I'm hoping to see really good ones.

Right now, I'm starting to go back to jdrama. Before, I switched to kdrama from jdorama after finding koukou kyoushi and kimi wa petto a bit too weird. I got to finish them though and I sort of liked it. I've been watching those starred by Kimura Takuya, and I really love them!

I like both of them, but sometimes I need to switch back and forth cos some series tend to bore me that i'd need a change. It also depends on the mood. :D

zahiri

J drama rules...

Post by zahiri » Jan 13th, '05, 21:23

I must say that I prefer J drama much more than k drama, I've been watching J drama ever since I was 7years old. Dramas like Kyoshi Bin Bin, Chiaki, Oshin, Mearo Attack(some thing like that),and soooo much more... It's always there in my memory some how It's stuck there, as for k drama it's like today I watch it tomorrow I forget. So all in all J drama is for me. 8)

Atomic

Post by Atomic » Jan 17th, '05, 11:40

I find Kdramas more entertaining with higher production value than JDramas.. Watching JDrama is like watching an American drama of the 80s.. Good writing, low budget, and shitty settings/locations.

KDrama producers just seems to go that little extra step.

Sassy Man

Post by Sassy Man » Jan 17th, '05, 22:20

Takez0 wrote: Jdoramas are still more realistic
Pleaaaasssse!!!!

You're not telling me you watch dramas or for that matter TV, Movies etc for realism content!! They are supposed to be pure fantasy. It's supposed to be a distraction from reality. So if you're going to make a drama or movie, you may as well go all the way and make it as unrealistic as possible.

That's why 'reality TV' is the biggest nonsense ever. Oxymoronr.

News is the same - pure fantasy, edited like nothing else to push a certain angle.

That's why pro wrestling is probably the most realistic show on TV.

fayenatic

Post by fayenatic » Jan 18th, '05, 17:47

Anyone can ask me what I watch and I can honestly say that I'm a devout Kdrama fan. I've watched more than enough Kdramas - enough to say that I have passed the more popular Kdramas to watch the underrated ones because they're just as good! I know that the endings of all Kdramas are typical and that someone ALWAYS ends up dying or handicapped. I don't really think that its predictability is the reason for its success. Afterall, 2005/2006 is suppose to be Korean Wave fever across Asia. IMO, it has a lot to due with good looking people, great OST, and basic dialogue. Take Stairways to Heaven - what the fcuk were they thinking?? Cliche and mediocre acting and its STILL able to gain popularity. Kdramas may be farfetched, but perhaps thats what the viewers want. Females WANT a knight in shining armor plus a luxury car, yacht, real estate, and corporation to go along with. Males want the sick ingenue who's dirt poor but still manages to be bright and cheery who'll end up changing his life forever at the same time of her untimely death. I'm a kdrama addict simply because of their dialogue - it just pulls at your heartstrings. I've given up on Cdrama just because Kdrama was always been able to bring me on an emotional rollercoaster ride.

Demo!

I chose the ballot of Jdrama a litle bit more than Kdrama. I haven't seen that many Jdramas - though I should since my sister is a huge Jdrama fanatic. The ones that I have seen though(more recently, I know its old, Majo no Jouken - hence the banner!), tears me up inside and barely leaves me with anything left to breathe. Now if a Jdrama can do that to me in 11 episodes - then SCREW the rollercoaster ride! Jdrama is able to compose a simple tale with such poignance and elegance that it doesn't need any "twist ending". And it's not even that Japanese people are socalled less "passionate" than Korean people. It's just that Jdramas do it more and better with words at less life-threatening situations.

So I think overall, Jdramas are hecka better than Kdramas. And isn't it surprising to hear such a reply from an avid Kdrama fan? ^_^ I do hope that Jdramas will continue and not take up on any Korean techniques. I noticed that as years passed, not a lot of dramas have been doing so well in ratings. =X

alvy

Post by alvy » Jan 19th, '05, 04:32

J-dramas a lot more for me. :wub:

Above, fayenatic defined the difference very well, and I agree in full.

I guess I find k-drama a bit too...Harlequinesqe. :D

I like tear-jerking and romance as much as most, but I prefer it to come in a slightly grittier package. Less hotel owners, more struggling salarypeople. And enough with the zillion episodes and endless procrastination. 8)

But point me to a k-drama that is more like recent k-movies, and I'm there!

tejizo

Post by tejizo » Jan 19th, '05, 05:36

Arrgh ... I wish I can change my vote again.
After seeing Full House & Damo, my perspective about k-dramas has changed.
The Ten Commandments of Korean Drama doesn't really apply over there. :-)
I voted for j-dramas a lot more because it is shorter and not draggy, though there are few exceptions.

fayenatic

Post by fayenatic » Jan 20th, '05, 02:08

tejizo wrote:Arrgh ... I wish I can change my vote again.
After seeing Full House & Damo, my perspective about k-dramas has changed.
The Ten Commandments of Korean Drama doesn't really apply over there. :-)
I voted for j-dramas a lot more because it is shorter and not draggy, though there are few exceptions.
how can the 10 commandments NOT apply to Damo[/b[? ~.^

I agree that Damo is fabulous, but did we not forget who dies at the end? ^_^

minidora24

Post by minidora24 » Jan 21st, '05, 05:41

Interesting comments from everyone....
Although I have my love for all dramas, I must say that I voted for J-dramas a lot more, just because I was practically raised watching jdramas on KTSF haha.

I read an article somewhere about the analogy of Koreans being like red chili (as in kimchi) and Japanese being like wasabi. When you eat red chili, it stimulates the brain instantly and at the same time, it gives signals to get excited/emotional. On the other hand, wasabi helps lower blood pressure. Therefore, it has the effect of working as a sedative. Basically, the author of the article was trying to compare Koreans and Japanese through their national spices; Koreans as being more emotional and Japanese as being more calm.

To me, I thought this can be applied to dramas too with Kdrama being overly melodramatic and Jdrama being more suttle yet have nostalgic elements....well odviously since drama producers need to make dramas that suit their audiences in both countries (altho i dunno how to explain the kdrama boom in japan now..i'm thinking it's more of a temporary thing...) ! But in the end I can't really say which is better than the other, it's just based on your taste and background.

Personally I like jdramas that are in the middle like Boku no Ikiru Michi, Under One Roof, Aishiterutoittekure.. :wub: sappier than most jdramas but not to the extent of kdramas.

.....just my 2cents :roll

BT-Slut

Post by BT-Slut » Jan 21st, '05, 18:42

minidora24 wrote:Interesting comments from everyone....
Although I have my love for all dramas, I must say that I voted for J-dramas a lot more, just because I was practically raised watching jdramas on KTSF haha.

Personally I like jdramas that are in the middle like Boku no Ikiru Michi, Under One Roof, Aishiterutoittekure.. :wub: sappier than most jdramas but not to the extent of kdramas.

Hi minidora. I'm exactly in your same camp. I grew up watching jdramas on KTSF as well. I've never heard of k-dramas until I came to this forum. LOL

And Under the Same Roof (KTSF had it as Our House) is my all time favorite j-drama. :)

As for wasabi, I don't know about you, but when I have wasabi, it's like a lightning bolt shooting through my nose. It does NOT calm me whatsoever. If anything, it wakes me up big time. :lol

TheBombastic1

Post by TheBombastic1 » Jan 23rd, '05, 08:16

minidora24 wrote:Interesting comments from everyone....

I read an article somewhere about the analogy of Koreans being like red chili (as in kimchi) and Japanese being like wasabi. When you eat red chili, it stimulates the brain instantly and at the same time, it gives signals to get excited/emotional. On the other hand, wasabi helps lower blood pressure. Therefore, it has the effect of working as a sedative. Basically, the author of the article was trying to compare Koreans and Japanese through their national spices; Koreans as being more emotional and Japanese as being more calm.

To me, I thought this can be applied to dramas too with Kdrama being overly melodramatic and Jdrama being more suttle yet have nostalgic elements....well odviously since drama producers need to make dramas that suit their audiences in both countries (altho i dunno how to explain the kdrama boom in japan now..i'm thinking it's more of a temporary thing...) ! But in the end I can't really say which is better than the other, it's just based on your taste and background.

That's a very interesting point. I rememberseeing a part of a documentary-type show that someone did when Japan and South Korea was co hosting World Cup. They were comparing the South Korea and Japan through their cultural clothes (kimono and hanbock). The conclusion was that the personalities people of the two countries are reflected in the traditional clothes, with Japan being more quiet and Korea beingn louder. At the time, I didn't really get it. I don't think I knew what they meant by "quiet" and "loud", and at the time I didn;t pay much attention to it cuz I thought they wre just trying to draw conclusions where none were to be drawn. But after the point you made about wasabi and red chili, maybe it kinda makes sense. Maybe by quiet, they meant they keep it close to themselves, like how kimonos stick close to the body, and by loud, they meant like flaring, like how hanbock flares out from the body. I'm not sure. I shoulda paid better attention to that expose. But now after the point you've made, I'm thinking there might be something to all that after all, cuz If you think about it, it does seem that Japanese food tends to be more subtle and delicate in flavor, while Korean food seems to be bolder and more expressive in flavor. Maybe J dramas and K dramas reflect that contrasting personality as well.

It kinda funny though that they would contrast like that. Cuz I remember someone telling me that based on archaeological, linguistic, and historical evidence, Korea and Japan seem to share a close, and inextricably tied, cultural and ethnical bond to each other and thus is a shame that Korea and Japan have seem to have been at odds with each other in recent history. But yeah, now that you point it out, it does seem that there does seem to be some sort of ying yang kinda contrast in the personalities of the two countries as reflected by food, clothes, spice, and dramas.

One more thing, I think the Korean boom in Japan is a good thing. I think its acted kinda like "bridging the gap" that's been aroundbetween the two countries in the last 100 years. Hopefully, we see a Japan boom in Korea soon. And it'll open up the two countries to each other more.

dr jekyll

love jdrama a lot more

Post by dr jekyll » Jan 23rd, '05, 10:16

love jdrama a lot more
love jdrama a lot more
love jdrama a lot more
love jdrama a lot more
love jdrama a lot morelove jdrama a lot morelove jdrama a lot morelove jdrama a lot morelove jdrama a lot morelove jdrama a lot morelove jdrama a lot morelove jdrama a lot more

alvy

Post by alvy » Jan 23rd, '05, 10:23

BT-Slut wrote:
And Under the Same Roof (KTSF had it as Our House) is my all time favorite j-drama. :)
Sorry :offtopic: but I am really curious about UTSR. It isn't available e-subbed, though, is it? Well, one day, perhaps.

BT-Slut

Post by BT-Slut » Jan 23rd, '05, 10:28

alvy wrote:
BT-Slut wrote:
Sorry :offtopic: but I am really curious about UTSR. It isn't available e-subbed, though, is it? Well, one day, perhaps.
No, it's not really avaliable e-subbed. Only a few eps were subbed. Our dearly departed Groink--who know is actually making a come-back here--was subbing it, then just left. I believe up to ep 4 was e-subbed and distributed over BT.

Ok, now back to j-drama and k-drama discussion.

raynebow

Post by raynebow » Jan 25th, '05, 21:58

I've never actually seen a Japanese drama before, so I probably shouldn't have voted Korean drama over Japanese drama. XD;

I guess I just feel a little less inclined to watch a Japanese drama however, maybe because I feel more of a connection to Koreans (I am one) and I have no connection to Japanese...

kingsky214

Post by kingsky214 » Jan 26th, '05, 02:11

I used to love Japanese drama alot. Now, I'm watching Korean dramas more because it was shown on TV almost everyday. But, I still watch Japanese drama, too. :P

Scyth3r

Post by Scyth3r » Jan 27th, '05, 06:14

I say I like j-drama a little more. When I get tired of one type I go on to the other.

rainidy
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rainidy » Jan 27th, '05, 06:39

I love kdramas!!! :D I mostly only download kdramas except for the really famous and high rating Japanese dramas from time to time.

Sana

Post by Sana » Jan 28th, '05, 03:57

I find J-dramas more interesting. There is too much crying in K-dramas. It makes me wonder if the actors/actresses carry a can of pepper spray and spray their eyes out between takes. However, a good drama is a good drama and I will still get it regardless of what country it came from.

ceppy

Post by ceppy » Jan 29th, '05, 13:03

korean dramas a little more just because they tend to be longer.

aprilx3

Post by aprilx3 » Jan 29th, '05, 23:59

I vote for k-dramas because I don't watch much j-dramas.
but from the ratings, i'll give them a try. :-)

apples

Post by apples » Feb 16th, '05, 01:37

can i change my vote?

lately, i haven't been able to finish watching/downloading some finished eng subbed kdramas.. at first it was because of not a lot of seeders, but i barely started on the two past ksotms.. i get easily hooked to it, but after a short while, i lose interest in continuing it (esp when there's almost 20 eps to watch)..

but with jdrama, it's different.. and it's not just about the struggle of two ppl in love. there's more variety in their themes. i used to get bored on the first episode or so, but once i bear with it, it gets even more interesting.

i used to think it all depended on my mood.. but as i watch more dramas, there seems to be more jdramas appealing to me than kdramas.

BT-Slut

Post by BT-Slut » Feb 16th, '05, 11:50

apples wrote:can i change my vote?

lately, i haven't been able to finish watching/downloading some finished eng subbed kdramas.. at first it was because of not a lot of seeders, but i barely started on the two past ksotms.. i get easily hooked to it, but after a short while, i lose interest in continuing it (esp when there's almost 20 eps to watch)..

but with jdrama, it's different.. and it's not just about the struggle of two ppl in love. there's more variety in their themes. i used to get bored on the first episode or so, but once i bear with it, it gets even more interesting.

i used to think it all depended on my mood.. but as i watch more dramas, there seems to be more jdramas appealing to me than kdramas.
It's too bad you can't change your vote.

LOL. It sonds to me like you're just maturing. :D Given your comments above, you seem to be outgrowing the fluffy, regurgitated, fangirl, fantasy K-Pop dramas for something deeper and with more substance.

:D :lol :P
/me ducks and runs away from the barrage of rotten fruit and veggies being thrown my way by the rabid flock of K-Pop drama fangirls. :w00t:

tofucity

Post by tofucity » Feb 16th, '05, 11:55

I'm hooked on Kdrama..especially funny romantic stories like full house, sweet 18, prince first love...etc....so, i'm voting for more Kdrama plsssss... :D

apples

Post by apples » Feb 22nd, '05, 20:08

BT-Slut wrote:
apples wrote:can i change my vote?

It's too bad you can't change your vote.

LOL. It sonds to me like you're just maturing. :D Given your comments above, you seem to be outgrowing the fluffy, regurgitated, fangirl, fantasy K-Pop dramas for something deeper and with more substance.

:D :lol :P
/me ducks and runs away from the barrage of rotten fruit and veggies being thrown my way by the rabid flock of K-Pop drama fangirls. :w00t:
lolz.. you're most certainly right. at first i just wanted entertainment. to be in a world other than my reality for just a few hours. but after you get large doses of the same thing over and over again, you start asking for something more meaningful and with "substance." i really don't get what is so sad about a girl crying her heart out when the guy she loves loves her as well. trying to be selfless by sacrificing her love seems to me a very selfish act since both of them suffer. like eh.. how can you make the person you love most feel that way? that's why i love jdoramas about family... it's heart-wrenching too.. everybody can relate to it. and it can be funny and sweet.

i don't know why, but i will still keep watching kdrama.... and i have no plans on giving up on it.. just that i like jdorama more now.

mobes

Post by mobes » Feb 22nd, '05, 21:00

I have 2 say i like kdramas more havent watched many jdramas but i jst find kdramas a little more intresting

Marie

Post by Marie » Feb 28th, '05, 15:06

I've just got started with the 'drama' thing, and was really skeptic at first, because usually 'dramas' in general are not my cup of tea. But since I was bored, I decided to give it a try.

First I downloaded j-drama "Pride". Got to episode 5 and really, did not give a damn to any of the characters. All of them are reaaaa~lly boring. Decided to try k-dramas, despite the '10 commandments' list that creeped me out.

I can't stand melodramatic, conventional love stories, so I looked at the forums and this one drama caught my attention only because of its name: "What happened in Bali".

This drama FRIED MY BRAIN. It takes all the 'rules' and distorts them to no end. There isn't a single character that is 'nice', the 'good guy' is the most despicable character I've ever seen! And the 'bad guy' is adorable, although he is weak, controlled by his family and likes to beat the girl from time to time. o__O The final episode left my mouth gaping for an hour. It was the "Twilight Zone" of drama.

(Although I have to say, it really was too long. And the soundtrack SUCKED.)

Since then I've been downloading all kinds of drama (j, k and tw) but none of them impressed me like "WHIB" (though I liked 'Meteor Garden'). Does anyone know of a drama similar to this one? Thanks!

apples

Post by apples » Feb 28th, '05, 16:25

Marie wrote:Does anyone know of a drama similar to this one? Thanks!
Damo. Somehow follows the ten commandments. But it's on a different level. Their execution is unlike any other drama that makes their storyline unique and "new". It also stars Ha Ji-Won from WHIB. The soundtrack is amazing! Especially "A Song of Devotion". Why don't you try to download the music video? It'll give you a small glimpse of the drama, as well as the song. I must say it's really good without giving out any spoiler. http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtop ... 0fba7da7b6 It's a period drama though, it might not be your thing.

Marie

Post by Marie » Feb 28th, '05, 20:48

Thanks! :D I'll give it a try.

oshirou

k-dramas

Post by oshirou » Mar 1st, '05, 10:34

i voted for k-dramas simply because i havent watch any j-dramas... ehehehe!! ^_^v