What car do you drive?

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.

What is the car brand of your ride?

BMW
3%
Nissan/Inifiniti
10%
Mitsubishi
4%
Toyota/Lexus
17%
Honda/Acura
22%
Mercedes
3%
GM brand (Dodge, Cadillac, etc.)
4%
Other
22%
no car
15%

Total votes: 274

sillykid

What car do you drive?

Post by sillykid » Feb 6th, '05, 21:16

I was just curious about what car brand people on D-Addict drive. Myself, I drive a Nissan 300zx '93 (non-turbo :-( ) 220HP, a Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 '92 (Turbo :D ) 330+HP, and a Toyota Camry XLE '02 192HP. Of all the cars, I would have to say the Nissan is the best ride though not the most powerful.

hompie

Post by hompie » Feb 6th, '05, 21:21

Don't hope you all drive them at same time. :)
I've got a Toyota Carina and a Yamaha Virage 920cc motorbike and 3 bicycles.

NatNat

Post by NatNat » Feb 6th, '05, 21:25

i own a bicycle!

PLANET GOOD
CAR IN A MAJOR CITY BAD

www.critical-mass.org
find out what you've been missing
Last edited by NatNat on Feb 6th, '05, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by iceberri » Feb 6th, '05, 21:27

Hmmm well, not like I can drive drive yet (only got a permit), but whenever I do, I use my parents' 2004 Honda Accord. I don't know much about cars though, so I think I'll stay out of this topic and just watch people debate about which brand is better (which, inevitably, will happen...) And if that doesn't happen, I'll be surprised & disappointed! :lol

TNF
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by TNF » Feb 6th, '05, 22:12

i'll be able to drive in 2 years...well i can get a permit in 2 years lol

Calisunshine

Post by Calisunshine » Feb 6th, '05, 22:18

:D
Okay, for this topic, let see.... I drive a GMC Denarli YuKon . For instance my children soccer game, cheer partices ,choirs and family vacations. It's GM and it cost hella gas prices, but it worth it with a big hauler. My other car is a Honda Accord 2004. I use this to ge around the town more, For instance, school, work and grocery shopping .. it's cost lesser gas. :D :D

isuzu

Post by isuzu » Feb 6th, '05, 22:22

I drove an 88 honda accord, and then crashed it into the walls of the freeway. Now I drive my dad's buick century, when he's not using it.

neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by neonkinpatsu » Feb 6th, '05, 22:24

I voted other because I have a Dodge and Dodge is not a GM :P

As far as I know GM = Chevy, Buick, Cadillac, GMC, Hummer, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Saturn, Saab, Holden, Opel, and Vauxhall.

sillykid

Post by sillykid » Feb 6th, '05, 22:59

LOL I forgot Dodge isn't part of GM. My Bad.

antabaka

Post by antabaka » Feb 6th, '05, 23:04

I drive a 2002 Toyota Celica GTS minor modifications (AEM intake, Greddy exhaust).
Every now and then i'll trade off with my wife and drive her 2004 BMW 325ci coupe.
But i prefer my Toyota...

Moenyc2000

Post by Moenyc2000 » Feb 6th, '05, 23:15

I didnt see the bus, as an option :glare:

dofuagedashi

car?

Post by dofuagedashi » Feb 6th, '05, 23:29

I live and work in Manhattan. I don't drive. Parking can cost you close to $400 a month, and insurance can easily cost you $400 a month for most standard 4-door sedans (i.e. Accords, Camrys, and Taurus.) That's around $800 / month just to keep the car. Plus, walking and taking the subways are much faster and more efficient.

theedqueen

Post by theedqueen » Feb 7th, '05, 00:06

I drive a '98 Toyota Camry. On occasion I'll drive my mom's 2001 Toyota Sienna. And one time I took my dad's Mercedes Ci20(I think) for a joy ride....he doesn't let me drive it. I love my camry, but sometimes it gets kinda tough when your friend drives around a new mercedes to school everyday as the "junk car" that his parents gave him, and when his car is in the shop, he gets to drive the "nicer" lexus to school. His parents have three other cars too, one of which is a porsche *shakes fist* :glare:
Last edited by theedqueen on Feb 7th, '05, 00:35, edited 1 time in total.

impression151

Post by impression151 » Feb 7th, '05, 00:31

I want a G35 coupe (aka Skyline). Anyone want to donate to the cause?
Last edited by impression151 on Feb 7th, '05, 01:21, edited 1 time in total.

Kamui6
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Kamui6 » Feb 7th, '05, 00:45

2004 Toyota Matrix

shwap

Post by shwap » Feb 7th, '05, 00:57

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport. ahhh Im in love!
Attachments
jeepliberty2002.jpg
jeepliberty2002.jpg (37.22 KiB) Viewed 7904 times

shwap

Post by shwap » Feb 7th, '05, 01:00

impression151 wrote:I want a G35 couple (aka Skyline). Anyone want to donate to the cause?
:rofl: I would if i could :thumleft: good try tho!

HUM

Post by HUM » Feb 7th, '05, 01:05

me i drive a pearl blue volkswagen golf 2003, its a nice drive :mrgreen: gets me from A to Z and every letter in between

NatNat

Post by NatNat » Feb 7th, '05, 01:48

This is seriously my pride and joy

ignore the rusty chain
my parents left my baby outside while I was away.
talk about not caring about my ****!

anyway. i have a new chain for it. I just need to get off my lazy ass and change it.

PurpleMoose

Post by PurpleMoose » Feb 7th, '05, 02:20

I drive a Mitsubishi Minicar. It's a kei-car for all of those who know what that is...

BT-Slut

Post by BT-Slut » Feb 7th, '05, 02:34

When in the US, I drive a BMW 528i. :wub:

Currently in China, I have to resort to taxis (VW Santanas 2000/3000 series).

I miss driving my baby so much, but one thing I do appreciate with no car here is the fact that I can get plastered any time and not have to worry about DUIs. :D
Attachments
slut_bmw.jpg
slut_bmw.jpg (142.07 KiB) Viewed 7870 times

cococrust
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by cococrust » Feb 7th, '05, 02:35

I've driven toyota solora, avalon, honda accord and a bmw 325. I like the solora the most I guess. It's one of the better fuel efficient out of the 4. But my main car is the toyota avalon.

cococrust
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by cococrust » Feb 7th, '05, 02:37

bt-slut, may i know which part of china you are in? (Shanghai?) What are you doing there? :D I know I AM NOSEY !!

Spike23

Post by Spike23 » Feb 7th, '05, 02:42

Here's my auto =)
2004 Hyundai Tib
Last edited by Spike23 on Feb 7th, '05, 02:44, edited 1 time in total.

Spike23

Post by Spike23 » Feb 7th, '05, 02:43

NatNat wrote:This is seriously my pride and joy

ignore the rusty chain

anyway. i have a new chain for it. I just need to get off my lazy ass and change it.

You can fix the rust with Wd30 =)

rs200

Post by rs200 » Feb 7th, '05, 06:03

I drive a Toyota/Lexus :D

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Feb 7th, '05, 06:19

'92 Nissan Sentra....

pretty old...but it runs like a baby. :-)

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Feb 7th, '05, 06:32

Been through Peugot (french junk but it fell apart in a year from brand new)
Volvo is good but they feel like driving tractors.
BMW 320 i uuuuuuh yeah.. nice even if there are curves (^^)

Hyundai Accent.... hmmm really good on gas and... (was the last one)
why was this Korean thing not on the list???? After all it's Korean isn't it :P

kali4niaguy

Post by kali4niaguy » Feb 7th, '05, 06:43

i drive a 2004 Honda Accord Coupe. my 1st car, i'm not a car guy but i love my baby. :D

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Feb 7th, '05, 06:46

Huh....kind of odd choices...
Did all American cars get lumped under GM or something?
Ford should at least be a choice since it controls Volvo, Jaguar, Mazda, etc etc as well...
And considering how popular they are I'm surprised there's no VW either....

Anyhow, I drive a speedy li'l Subaru...

NatNat

Post by NatNat » Feb 7th, '05, 06:49

Spike23 wrote:
NatNat wrote:This is seriously my pride and joy

ignore the rusty chain

You can fix the rust with Wd30 =)
i COULD just use wd40, but that seems to be much more time consuming. i have spare parts readily at hand (like you know an extra chain) so it's no problem.

my bike could also use new pedals
i might redo the handlebar's tape. but i'd bring a professional into that one
but they might laugh cause my bike is so ooooooold
i might also change it from 10-speed to 2-speed

ahhh, it does need a makeover =/

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Feb 7th, '05, 07:10

i would love to ride a bike!!! but the thing is that...................i don't know how to.

you see...as a child, my parents couldn't afford toys or even new shoes for me. they saved every hard earned money for food and to pay the mortage of the house they bought when i was still a baby.

i guess having to wear uniforms in grade school was lucky for me and my twin, this way my parents didn't have to use their money buying us new clothes all the time. :lol but luckily, through the hard work and practical thinking, we're no longer in the same situation as then. i never blamed them though....not even when on school trips, i would see my friends with their $5 from their parents to buy lunches meanwhile I would like $1 for two bags of chips and a drink. but i'll never forget having to wear my too worn-out shoes with the hole in the front (where the big toe would be).

i'm so proud of my parents....especially to see how far they've gone. from new immigrants from China to happy citizens of the US, i know they'll never regret moving here so that we could all live a better life.

....also........it's still not to late to learn how to ride a bike, right? :roll

byagi

Post by byagi » Feb 7th, '05, 07:16

'98 Acura Integra LS (no.... vtec.....)

goes a lot of mountain roads with it around the S.J. Bay Area, I love driving in general.

wakopin

Post by wakopin » Feb 7th, '05, 07:20

lilswtangel wrote:i would love to ride a bike!!! but the thing is that...................i don't know how to.

you see...as a child, my parents couldn't afford toys or even new shoes for me. they saved every hard earned money for food and to pay the mortage of the house they bought when i was still a baby.

i guess having to wear uniforms in grade school was lucky for me and my twin, this way my parents didn't have to use their money buying us new clothes all the time. :lol but luckily, through the hard work and practical thinking, we're no longer in the same situation as then. i never blamed them though....not even when on school trips, i would see my friends with their $5 from their parents to buy lunches meanwhile I would like $1 for two bags of chips and a drink. but i'll never forget having to wear my too worn-out shoes with the hole in the front (where the big toe would be).

i'm so proud of my parents....especially to see how far they've gone. from new immigrants from China to happy citizens of the US, i know they'll never regret moving here so that we could all live a better life.

....also........it's still not to late to learn how to ride a bike, right? :roll

didn't i see this in a drama somewhere? :cry:

adcerites

Post by adcerites » Feb 7th, '05, 07:23

does getting a ride from your parent count as "drive"?

NatNat

Post by NatNat » Feb 7th, '05, 07:40

lilswtangel wrote:i would love to ride a bike!!! but the thing is that...................i don't know how to.

your family story is SO different from mine. My mother and father moved to the States in search of fortune and fame. They split when I was 5. My mother had that glamorous life thing for awhile and lived very decadently and wastefully. Now she's alone and works at a nail shop making only enough to get her through from paycheck to paycheck. My father used to be a really handsome, dashing, charming playboy that could get any woman he wanted. Now he is a weather-beaten car salesman. it's not that they're unhappy, they just aren't where they thought they would be in life.

Oh, and it's never too late to learn how to ride a bike. Look at SHK in full house.

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Feb 7th, '05, 07:45

lilswtangel wrote:you see...as a child, my parents couldn't afford toys or even new shoes for me. they saved every hard earned money for food and to pay the mortage of the house they bought when i was still a baby.
:blink :blink
It's never to late to learn to ride a bike.
As for the rest... hmmm
I think a lot of people are deserving some time out to think if their lifes are really all that bad.
Kudos to your parents lilswt

CaseyCoolQ

Post by CaseyCoolQ » Feb 7th, '05, 07:54

I drive a 1997 Toyota Supra...the best ride i've ever had.. :D
Just recently got new plates for my name LI55SA

yamo

Post by yamo » Feb 7th, '05, 07:58

I drive an s2000 and pilot.

CaseyCoolQ

Post by CaseyCoolQ » Feb 7th, '05, 08:14

That's so cool!
I wanna fly as well. My friend's a pilot and he could fly before he even got his driving license

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Feb 7th, '05, 09:13

NatNat wrote:
your family story is SO different from mine. My mother and father moved to the States in search of fortune and fame. They split when I was 5. My mother had that glamorous life thing for awhile and lived very decadently and wastefully. Now she's alone and works at a nail shop making only enough to get her through from paycheck to paycheck. My father used to be a really handsome, dashing, charming playboy that could get any woman he wanted. Now he is a weather-beaten car salesman. it's not that they're unhappy, they just aren't where they thought they would be in life.

Oh, and it's never too late to learn how to ride a bike. Look at SHK in full house.
:offtopic: Nat, thank you for relating your story to me. Even if your parents aren't living the lives that they expected from the beginning, I can tell that they're proud of you because you seem so mature....wells at least on D-A you do, but I'm sure you're even more so in person. I hope your parents will one day be prosperous again and that they probably learned from their past. Wishing them the best of luck...ganbare!!!! :-)

now..........i can't tell a bike apart from one another, but yours like mighty fine. one question....how do you balance on a bike???????? i tried learning on my best friend's bike...but i kept leaning towards either one side or the other.... :crazy:

Techie, how's Japan??? enjoying your stay there? taking lots of pictures??

yamo

Post by yamo » Feb 7th, '05, 09:24

CaseyCoolQ wrote:That's so cool!
I wanna fly as well. My friend's a pilot and he could fly before he even got his driving license
Honda pilot... lol

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 7th, '05, 10:34

angel: that was a nice story of your family. it's really similar to my own family's story. guess what? i don't know how to ride a bike either. parents could never afford one.

Nat: wd-40 is my miracle weapon. i spray it on everything. i use it to fix bike chains (for my visiting japanese friends), door knobs, keyholes, armpit deodorant, etc.

as for this topic: i don't drive a car. i surf to work. that's what everyone in hawaii does.

Vatima Corlati

Post by Vatima Corlati » Feb 7th, '05, 10:39

Living in Los Angeles, there is almost no need for cars. We are given choices from a variety
of transportations such as subways, taxis, and buses.

justme

Post by justme » Feb 7th, '05, 10:57

I drive probably the worst car ever to be made...QC for it in this country is practically zero(not sure how it performs in other countries) its called a proton wira here but abroad probably something else....but
its the only sedan I can afford with the miserable pittance i'm paid because taxes the govt impose on imported cars!

How much is a camry in the US btw?

DarReNz
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by DarReNz » Feb 7th, '05, 11:42

yeap just a proton ......

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Feb 7th, '05, 11:42

lilswtangel wrote: Techie, how's Japan??? enjoying your stay there? taking lots of pictures??
Not there yet, it's a secondary target right now.
Should be getting on my way by Tuesday morning or latest Wednesday AM early early.

Until then I'm hanging in there, waiting for the voting for Miss and Mr D-addicts to begin.

To stay on topic... I got rid of cars when I started working with a home office though.
It's so convenient that the only thing you go to the gas station for is the mandatory bag of chips and 2 liter bottles of coke on sale. Hows that for fuel mileage :)

I cannot understand how people who live less than a block and two minutes walk from the store, have to spend 10 minutes driving, 5 minutes finding the best parking spot and then the same to get home, when all their getting is a small bag of frozen goods.

People complain about smokers, but they dont consider that a truck spews out 10 times more fumes than a car, and a car running on empty for 1 minute is like burning up 100 cigarettes instantly. Hmmmm... (not saying smoking is healthy but try sucking on an exhaust pipe for 10 seconds.)

lolipss
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by lolipss » Feb 7th, '05, 12:31

techie wrote:
lilswtangel wrote: Techie, how's Japan??? enjoying your stay there? taking lots of pictures??
Not there yet, it's a secondary target right now.
Should be getting on my way by Tuesday morning or latest Wednesday AM early early.

Until then I'm hanging in there, waiting for the voting for Miss and Mr D-addicts to begin.

To stay on topic... I got rid of cars when I started working with a home office though.
It's so convenient that the only thing you go to the gas station for is the mandatory bag of chips and 2 liter bottles of coke on sale. Hows that for fuel mileage :)

I cannot understand how people who live less than a block and two minutes walk from the store, have to spend 10 minutes driving, 5 minutes finding the best parking spot and then the same to get home, when all their getting is a small bag of frozen goods.

People complain about smokers, but they dont consider that a truck spews out 10 times more fumes than a car, and a car running on empty for 1 minute is like burning up 100 cigarettes instantly. Hmmmm... (not saying smoking is healthy but try sucking on an exhaust pipe for 10 seconds.)
:offtopic: techie are u studying at monash?? i saw ur signature :unsure:

TheBombastic1

Post by TheBombastic1 » Feb 7th, '05, 12:51

Vatima Corlati wrote:Living in Los Angeles, there is almost no need for cars. We are given choices from a variety
I'm doubting whether you live in Los Angeles at all. Quit lying.

Having have lived in Los Angeles for over 10 years myself, I can assure anyone here that's not an Angelino that if you don't have a car in this city, you're options are very, very limited. Everyone whose even spent a day in LA will tell you that if you plan on living in LA, you absolutely NEED a car. Public transportation in this city is renowned as being horrible and what transit is available is highly inefficient.

I wouldn't brag about LA's subway. It's got like 2 lines, with each train only having about 2 or 3 cars since nobody really uses them, that only serve an extremely limited area, with extremely limited routes. It very far off from anything even close to resembling the subway system in NYC or the El in Chicago.

Taxis? LA ain't NYC. You can't just go outside and flag down a cab whenever you want. You have to go look up a cab company in the Yellow Pages, and call them up. And then you have to wait until they pick you up, which can take forever. And as LA is fairly spread out, so if you plan on using cabs, expect to pay high fares. Not very practical mode of transportation.

And don't even get me started on the bus system in LA. For lack of a better word, its a nightmare. LA could do to to check neighboring Santa Monica, and take clues from how their Blue Bus is run.

Trust me. In LA, you need a car. It is a must. Angelinos only resort to public transportation when their cars are in the shop, and only if they can't find a ride from someone they know. Granted, its been a little over a year since I left LA, but I highly doubt LA's public transportation has undergone a miraculous makeover since then.

If I ran long, my apologies, but I don't want people to get confused by the misconceptions about LA you might have gotten from this imposter who claims to live in LA.

Anyone who's spent time in LA will know that we got our own version of "public transportation". We call it the 5, the 101, the 110, the 10, the 405, the 60... well you get the idea. :lol ( that's a joke. LA people in the house will get it)

As for the topic at hand, when I lived in LA, I drove a '98 black Prelude. Now, I drive a relatively more conservative 2004 dark blue Jeep Grand Cherokee.

wakopin

Post by wakopin » Feb 7th, '05, 19:02

i was told i was being insensitive... sorry...
Last edited by wakopin on Feb 8th, '05, 07:01, edited 1 time in total.

Datcyde

Post by Datcyde » Feb 7th, '05, 19:12

I have a Datsun/Nissan 280zx Turbo. Its just as old as me. This is my second one since my cousin trashed the first one when I just moved to NY. She is not touching this one. But what I really want to drive is a peugeot 407. But I have to move to Europe to drive one. If I was rich I would import that so fast.

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Feb 7th, '05, 20:37

lolipss wrote: :offtopic: techie are u studying at monash?? i saw ur signature :unsure:
Nope... I wish :D
I will be catching up my masters soon and I will only do the clock-out tests needed.
Got a few pages left to type and get a thesis or two in and then I'll be done.

As for Bombastic I must agree.
If you're in Santa Monica, then you're probably OK as long you dont stray off of Santa Monica Blvd. With buses that is.

If you're going down to Venice or Marina Del Rey, you're way out of the lueage of public transportation unless you can restrain yourself to walk from Washington Blvd., Ocean or the othe rmain intersections.

Anything beyond that is unreachable without a decent private tranportation method.

There was actually one line going to Brentwood too.
I guess the maids and pool guys working at the big houses needed some help getting back and forth too :D

NatNat

Post by NatNat » Feb 7th, '05, 21:03

lilswtangel wrote: now..........i can't tell a bike apart from one another, but yours like mighty fine. one question....how do you balance on a bike???????? i tried learning on my best friend's bike...but i kept leaning towards either one side or the other.... :crazy:
:offtopic:
WELL! I am horrible at explaining rudimentary physics, but having the bicycle balance is a means of momentum and speed. If you go slow, the center of balance becomes more unstable and you're more likely to tip over. Just don't be afraid to fall off. Just make sure the bike you're learning on has adequate brakes and that it's not too high for you. You should be able to place your feet flat on the ground on both sides.

p.s.
if you live in a major city and use a car as your main mode of transportation, SHAME ON YOU! :D

mt877

Post by mt877 » Feb 7th, '05, 21:11

For work I drive a 2005 Dodge Caravan... new vehicle every 3 years or 70,000 miles. :D
My private car is a 86 Honda Prelude Si... garage kept cause I drive my company vehicle all over the place.

NatNat

Post by NatNat » Feb 7th, '05, 21:11

TheBombastic1 wrote:
Vatima Corlati wrote:Living in Los Angeles, there is almost no need for cars. We are given choices from a variety
I'm doubting whether you live in Los Angeles at all. Quit lying.

Having have lived in Los Angeles for over 10 years myself, I can assure anyone here that's not an Angelino that if you don't have a car in this city, you're options are very, very limited. Everyone whose even spent a day in LA will tell you that if you plan on living in LA, you absolutely NEED a car. Public transportation in this city is renowned as being horrible and what transit is available is highly inefficient.

I wouldn't brag about LA's subway. It's got like 2 lines, with each train only having about 2 or 3 cars since nobody really uses them, that only serve an extremely limited area, with extremely limited routes. It very far off from anything even close to resembling the subway system in NYC or the El in Chicago.

Taxis? LA ain't NYC. You can't just go outside and flag down a cab whenever you want. You have to go look up a cab company in the Yellow Pages, and call them up. And then you have to wait until they pick you up, which can take forever. And as LA is fairly spread out, so if you plan on using cabs, expect to pay high fares. Not very practical mode of transportation.

And don't even get me started on the bus system in LA. For lack of a better word, its a nightmare. LA could do to to check neighboring Santa Monica, and take clues from how their Blue Bus is run.

Trust me. In LA, you need a car. It is a must. Angelinos only resort to public transportation when their cars are in the shop, and only if they can't find a ride from someone they know. Granted, its been a little over a year since I left LA, but I highly doubt LA's public transportation has undergone a miraculous makeover since then.

If I ran long, my apologies, but I don't want people to get confused by the misconceptions about LA you might have gotten from this imposter who claims to live in LA.

Anyone who's spent time in LA will know that we got our own version of "public transportation". We call it the 5, the 101, the 110, the 10, the 405, the 60... well you get the idea. :lol ( that's a joke. LA people in the house will get it)

As for the topic at hand, when I lived in LA, I drove a '98 black Prelude. Now, I drive a relatively more conservative 2004 dark blue Jeep Grand Cherokee.

what cockamamie nonsense. well, not all of it is, but for the most part... psh. I have lived in los angeles for years WITHOUT a car and I am doing fine. We can't compare LA to NYC or Chicago for mass transit because the Metro in LA is still developing and improving. Even as we speak, they're extending the redline (wilshire line) to extend beyond Fairfax. And FYI, NYC Metro isn't doing so hot financially so that goes to show that mass transit everywhere is having problems.

However, if you do not live in LA Major, I can understand why you would need a car because it's so sprawling and spread out, but honestly
My Steed (aka my bicycle) has been more than adequate and I get great exercise as well. I won't even mention the wonders of Dash and Rapid. You're hellbent on thinking you know everything.

Stop being such a ball buster. Groooooooooow up.

actually, sorry for that comment. I'm overly defensive of my beloved city. And rightfully so!

bobobubu

Post by bobobubu » Feb 7th, '05, 21:18

right now driving a honda civic

sillykid

Post by sillykid » Feb 8th, '05, 03:09

justme, in the US a new Toyota Camry costs around $17k for the low end one and up to $32k for the top of the line one if you were still wondering.

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Feb 8th, '05, 03:35

NatNat wrote: :offtopic:
WELL! I am horrible at explaining rudimentary physics, but having the bicycle balance is a means of momentum and speed. If you go slow, the center of balance becomes more unstable and you're more likely to tip over. Just don't be afraid to fall off. Just make sure the bike you're learning on has adequate brakes and that it's not too high for you. You should be able to place your feet flat on the ground on both sides.
:lol i'll try that next time~ petal faster....good brakes.....and right height! gotcha! thanks for the tips, Nat

NatNat wrote: if you live in a major city and use a car as your main mode of transportation, SHAME ON YOU! :D
:salut: living in nyc means looking for parking on holidays and on weekends are horrendous!!!! and during rush hour...............traffic jams on the highways are crazy!!!!!

i only drive when i feel that i'm in a rush or when i'm truly lazy to sit/stand on the good old MTA. i actually prefer taking the train over anything because it saves money on gas and it beats searching for parking in they city.

now buses....i remember taking them when i was in JHS. but now............for some weird reason, i get bus sick if i sit in a bus for more than an hour. :nuts:

jaycee05
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by jaycee05 » Feb 8th, '05, 04:28

NatNat wrote:
lilswtangel wrote: now..........i can't tell a bike apart from one another, but yours like mighty fine. one question....how do you balance on a bike???????? i tried learning on my best friend's bike...but i kept leaning towards either one side or the other.... :crazy:

p.s.
if you live in a major city and use a car as your main mode of transportation, SHAME ON YOU! :D
this just reminded me how i've learned to ride a bike for the first time...and I already have a hard time forgetting it. I dont have a "Young-jae" to push behind me, so I did it all by myself...you cant imagine how ecstatic I felt when I finally achieved my balance. I have to say it was one bloody experience for me. Aside from the cuts and lumps, the worst one was a head-on collision with this boy...(my practice bike didnt have any breaks, so I used my foot as one)...but I forgot about that on the last minute...I wasnt discouraged by that incident though <advantages of being a kid>. Nowadays, I still hit some unlucky individuals, so I dont ride the bike as much.
I stay away from mountain bikes though...I dont feel comfortable riding them, with the high seat plus the straight frame occasionally hits the area around my pubic symphysis :mrgreen:

Nonetheless, my driving skills are decent 8)

neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by neonkinpatsu » Feb 8th, '05, 05:56

NatNat wrote:
p.s.
If Philly counts as a major city, then shame on me. :lol This city's public transportation system is ASS. :x It always has been and it's getting worse. Now it's pretty expensive in relation to quality of service. Regular fare is $2.00, tokens are ~$1.30, transfers cost $0.60, and additional zone fare is $0.50 per zone with a possible 4 zones (for suburban travel), yet mostly every bus is never on time. It takes forever to get anywhere. In short, SEPTA sucks a fat one. The most reliable SEPTA line is the regional rail. There are only 8 lines, most of which run to the suburbs from Center City and some to the airport and Trenton, NJ. But the thing is, they are expensive and with so few lines it's not exactly convenient. Most people have to drive to them and leave their cars. But they are reliable and fast for those that have it convenient to them.

So yes, as soon as I could, I got a car. :roll

rainidy
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rainidy » Feb 8th, '05, 06:07

Like the majority of people here, I drive a Honda Civic 2004. :-)

NatNat

Post by NatNat » Feb 8th, '05, 12:06

neonkinpatsu wrote:
NatNat wrote:
p.s.
If Philly counts as a major city, then shame on me. :lol This city's public transportation system is ASS. :x It always has been and it's getting worse. Now it's pretty expensive in relation to quality of service. Regular fare is $2.00, tokens are ~$1.30, transfers cost $0.60, and additional zone fare is $0.50 per zone with a possible 4 zones (for suburban travel), yet mostly every bus is never on time. It takes forever to get anywhere. In short, SEPTA sucks a fat one. The most reliable SEPTA line is the regional rail. There are only 8 lines, most of which run to the suburbs from Center City and some to the airport and Trenton, NJ. But the thing is, they are expensive and with so few lines it's not exactly convenient. Most people have to drive to them and leave their cars. But they are reliable and fast for those that have it convenient to them.

Eh, i had a car in philly too, but I only drove it around at night when I couldn't find anybody to ride bikes with me to the bar.

Philly is so small. I walked from West Philly to Center City in no time! Imagine biking! You could go ANYWHERE.

Oh yeah, SEPTA *is* ass. eesh.

Atomic

Post by Atomic » Feb 8th, '05, 12:15

I have a 98 Honda Prelude that's currently at the shop.. I crashed my Lude during during a blizzard 2 weeks ago when I hit black ice, causing me to spin 360 into a guard rail.. Total damage=$8500.00! Thx god for insurance.

kali4niaguy

Post by kali4niaguy » Feb 8th, '05, 12:38

my friend taught me how to ride a bike a long long time ago. the 1st time i tried, i crashed into a tree! :lol but i must say, bike riding is 1 of the easiest things to learn. next on my list...swimming. :mrgreen:
NatNat wrote:p.s.
i would totally agree with u if the mass transit systems in all U.S. cities were like NYC's or Japan's. but the subway systems in most states aren't that good yet. i wouldn't mind riding subways if it was like what i see in Japanese dramas. :mrgreen:

LittleGreenGrasshopper
Geinou
Geinou

Post by LittleGreenGrasshopper » Feb 8th, '05, 12:43

kali4niaguy wrote:i wouldn't mind riding subways if it was like what i see in Japanese dramas. :mrgreen:
Me too.... though, more like in Korean movies... I wouldn't mind having to save a certain drunken girl from getting run over by a train and then having to carry her to a motel :P

Then again, there are no subways in my city :(

Yuvin

Post by Yuvin » Feb 8th, '05, 12:44

I have my Honda Pilot 2005. Man if I waited a year I would have been able to get the 4wheel drive. eh, it works well for now.

neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by neonkinpatsu » Feb 8th, '05, 13:11

NatNat wrote:
neonkinpatsu wrote:
NatNat wrote:
p.s.

Eh, i had a car in philly too, but I only drove it around at night when I couldn't find anybody to ride bikes with me to the bar.

Philly is so small. I walked from West Philly to Center City in no time! Imagine biking! You could go ANYWHERE.

Oh yeah, SEPTA *is* ass. eesh.
LOL, I wouldn't call it small, but it's not as big as LA or NYC or anything. It's shaped funny too, so some parts are really inconvenient to get to from certain sections while others are really close to each other. You can definitely walk from University City to Center City in no time. But I wouldn't suggest walking from Overbrook or Wynnefield to Center City although they are in West Philly too :crazy: You can bike to Center City from my neighborhood too via Kelly Drive. Lots of people do that on weekends. It would take a little while but it's do-able. Not that I've ever done it though, heh. But I will totally admit having a car has made me completely lazy these past 4-5 years.

I live within the city limits, but I still prefer to drive. Also, I don't tend to go deeper into the city for any kind of shopping unless it's for fun and even that's rare for me. I tend to leave the city for the better malls. :unsure: I've seen all of Philly already so I don't feel like I'm missing out :mrgreen: In Philly there isn't really much advantage to taking SEPTA instead of driving unless you are going to Center City (to save on parking).

nikeg

Post by nikeg » Feb 8th, '05, 13:17

Toyotas rule Hawaii! Camry, Celica, Tacoma, Corolla damn i see so many of um... my family also has 2 camry's lol

aznxshinobi

Post by aznxshinobi » Feb 8th, '05, 13:37

Just like the rest of the asian community I drive an asian car (Honda) :P . I'm kinda jealous of some of the people . . . so many nice cars :cry: ; compared to my used 94 accord that smells like smoke (from the previous owner) and mold whenever it rains :cry: :cry: :cry: .

Hmm cars in metropolitan areas? I guess it depends on the city. My cousin from NY said never to use a car, its insanely expensive to park. From personal experience, I'd say you would need car in LA, just to get around the different aspects of LA county i.e. san fernando valley to san gabriel valley. The exception being in the downtown area where the DASH system (bus route/system) is actually pretty good and cheap to!

Vatima Corlati

Post by Vatima Corlati » Feb 8th, '05, 13:42

You seem to love the enjoyment of arising argument.
TheBombastic1 wrote:I'm doubting whether you live in Los Angeles at all. Quit lying.

Having have lived in Los Angeles for over 10 years myself, I can assure anyone here that's not an Angelino that if you don't have a car in this city, you're options are very, very limited. Everyone whose even spent a day in LA will tell you that if you plan on living in LA, you absolutely NEED a car.
Oh please. People who would actually say that don't know how to fully utilize the
transportation here.
Public transportation in this city is renowned as being horrible and what transit is available is highly inefficient.
Calling me a liar is an understatement for what you just said here. Each bus carries
schedules of their "approximate" time periods and stops. From what you just said, a
bus thats maybe 2 minutes late off schedule is already considered "horrible". That's
pathetic. Knowing when buses will arrive at certain time periods can help you
"efficiently" on where you want to go. Also, the LA metro has it's own
phoning system to allow us to ask directions on a certain destination. And if that's not
enough, you can even get the same information on their website. The amount of time
to get there, the bus numbers you have to ride, and at what time they will arrive
. For
the year I have been here, I have never been close to being late or not knowing where
I am.
Oh jeez...you're acting like the subway was the ONLY means of transportation here.
Yes, it's true that the train may not be used that much, but that's because it isn't as
widely connected as using buses. You can't just use the subway, and expect to stop
a block away from your house...and the same goes for NYC and Chicago.
Taxi's are mainly used as a last resort. High rates are the downside to this, but it's
a whole lot better than paying for gas prices.
Trust me, in LA, you don't need a car. There are only a few major cities in the US that's
lucky enough to have these many choices. Owning a car not only needs responsibility,
but also a nice enough wallet to hold enough money to get you through the week with
their gas prices.

Cars here are not a necessity, it's a luxury.
Considering all this, I highly doubt you even knew these transportations existed in
LA at all. Pease take the time to understand the facts about something before actually
using them to make these false statements.
Unfortunately, unlike you, some of us aren't blessed with a car....but since I don't want to
arise the argument even further, I'll stop.
Last edited by Vatima Corlati on Feb 8th, '05, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 8th, '05, 15:00

speaking of public transportation, a few years ago, hawaii's bus system was rated #1 in the nation! up until then, i had always thought that every state had a bus stop every 50ft. made me appreciate that bus even more.

don't know what hawaii ranks now, but i can't take the bus anymore! :lol

TheBombastic1

Post by TheBombastic1 » Feb 8th, '05, 20:43

Vatima Corlati wrote:You seem to love the enjoyment of arising argument.
I get no pleasure from arguing. But your gibberish seems to necessitate it.
Oh please. People who would actually say that don't know how to fully utilize the
transportation here.
Oh please. People who would actually go on about utilizing LA’s transportation fully obviously have never dealt with it.
Calling me a liar is an understatement for what you just said here. Each bus carriesschedules of their "approximate" time periods and stops. From what you just said, a bus thats maybe 2 minutes late off schedule is already considered "horrible". That's pathetic. Knowing when buses will arrive at certain time periods can help you
"efficiently" on where you want to go. Also, the LA metro has it's own phoning system to allow us to ask directions on a certain destination. And if that's not
enough, you can even get the same information on their website. The amount of time
to get there, the bus numbers you have to ride, and at what time they will arrive
. For
the year I have been here, I have never been close to being late or not knowing where
I am.
Calling you a liar the first time was sarcasm-laced speculation on my part. But after reading this POS reply, I’m convinced I was right. This piece of utter BS you call information can only be said by someone who’s never been to Los Angeles. All that bull you said about the LA metro, yes it has schedules and routes. But then again, what bus system doesn’t? But just because you found out that the bus system has schedules does nothing to prove that you are not a liar -you can find that information anywhere. What convinces me that you’re not from Los Angeles is your apparent lack of experience-based knowledge. Experience would show you that these time schedules and routes don’t reflect the reality of living in LA.

For a city like Los Angeles, the bus system is highly inefficient. If, even though I doubt it, you’ve been in LA for year as you claim you’ve surely noticed that LA is a city that sprawls out – as compared to densely concentrated as in NYC. LA’s bus system might be helpful if you’re spending all your time in LA in the same tiny area, but the very nature of the city makes is close to impossible to be limited to a small area of it. ( And if you;re going to be limted to such a small area, why use the bus at all when you can just walk?)Places you need to go, as dictated by everyday living, practically require you to go into various areas of Los Angeles quite frequently. To do so using the bus system is not at all practical. Unless you possess the highest level of patience possible and an endless abundance of time, it is quite the hassle to use the bus system to get around in LA. The shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line. Bus systems in general, not only in LA but elsewhere, are often counterintuitive to that and require going out your way a bit. But the reason why bus systems in other major cities work is that most other major cities have a concentrated density that doesn’t require a covering a whole of area, so using the bus system doesn’t come across as being too much of a hassle. In LA, where everything is so spread out over a large area, in addition to the traffic congestion you’d expect from any large city, using the bus system means going out of your way too much and too time consuming to be efficient. Anyone who’s live in LA for a year should have quickly realized that. Moreover, in other cities like NYC, the bus system seems to work in conjunction with their subway system and abundance of cabs so that public transportation over there often seems more practical and efficient than having a car in such a densely packed area.
Oh jeez...you're acting like the subway was the ONLY means of transportation here. Yes, it's true that the train may not be used that much, but that's because it isn't as widely connected as using buses. You can't just use the subway, and expect to stop a block away from your house...and the same goes for NYC and Chicago.
Please don’t even try to compare a subway system like NYC’s to LA’s. First, the subway system in NYC covers a large portion of the city. LA’s covers very, very little of the city. Second, because the subways in NYC work very well with the bus systems and the cab availability, even if you don’t expect to stop a block away from your house, you can use their bus system or cabs to take you the rest of the way, so that commuting via subway is efficient. LA’s bus system is inefficient, cabs are not abundant and require calling them for a pick up, and therefore LA’s subway’s insufficient coverage of the city renders commuting by subway unpractical. In fact, I sometimes wonder if the only reason LA has a subway system is just so the city can say it has one – not for any real functional reason.
Taxi's are mainly used as a last resort. High rates are the downside to this, but it's a whole lot better than paying for gas prices.
As a point of fact, cab rates in LA run very close to the average cab rates of any other major city. I said “high fare” because the overall fare you’d expect to pay is high because you have to cover a lot of area due to the spread out nature of the city, and you don’t have an efficient bus system or a subway system to help your transportation. If it’s for sporadic, once in a while type situations, using cabs is preferable to having to hassle with the deficiencies of LA’s bus and subway systems. Last resort would be to use the bus, only in the case that you don't have the cash to cover the cab fare.

Gas prices in LA are actually not that bad either. One cab trip can easily cost more than one trip to the gas station. Yeah, Angelinos complain about rising gas prices, but I’ve traveled to other parts of the world, and after seeing what gas cost in some other parts of the world, gas prices in LA seem very reasonable. A full tank in LA cost me around the 20 dollar mark whereas I’ve been to places where a full tank cost the equivalent of 60 to 80 dollars. And unless you’re the Governator, with a gas guzzling Hummer, you probably won’t be filling up your car that frequently.

My goodness. For someone who claims to use exclusively buses, subways, and taxis, you don't seem to realistically know much about any of them,
Trust me, in LA, you don't need a car. There are only a few major cities in the US that's lucky enough to have these many choices. Owning a car not only needs responsibility, but also a nice enough wallet to hold enough money to get you through the week with their gas prices.

Cars here are not a necessity, it's a luxury.
Cars in LA are not a luxury. Nice German sedans are a luxury. If you value time and your sanity, cars are a must in LA. There are a few people in LA who don’t have cars, like Natnat apparently, but most of them are just waiting until they can get one. As for Natnat, I honestly don’t know how you can rely just on a bicycle, unless you are a fanatic about cycling, you have many nice friends who give you rides, or you’re still in school and stick to the campus most of the time. Either way, Natnat is the exception rather than the norm. Yes, having a car requires responsibility, but then welcome to adulthood. And any responsibility pales in comparison to the daily headaches you’ll get if you just rely on LA’s public transportation. Gas prices are reasonable and it’s not like you need to fill up every day., depending on your car once a week should be sufficient.

That bit about LA being lucky enough to have choices is just ignorant. That’s like a ski resort bragging bout having all sorts of artificial snow making machines, even though none of them make any decent snow you can actually ski on.

If anyone plans on living in LA, get a car, even if it’s an inexpensive one. It is a must if you don’t want to be relegated and limited to the couple blocks around your house.

Vatima Corlati, I don’t see how anyone can trust you. I don’t know how anyone can take you seriously at all. You claim to live in Los Angeles, and rely exclusively on buses, subways, and taxis and yet, you seem to know nothing about any of them save for what misconceptions about LA you have and the little meaningless data you probably pulled up on the net. Nothing you said about buses, subways, and taxis in LA displays any of the knowledge you get from any sort of experience with them.
Considering all this, I highly doubt you even knew these transportations existed in LA at all. Pease take the time to understand the facts about something before actually
using them to make these false statements.
Considering all this, I have to reiterate my belief that you are misrepresenting yourself about being from LA. Stop faking. I don’t know why you feel it necessary to do so, but next time you feel like doing so, please take the time to realize that there are things you can’t be dishonest about.

Public transportation in LA, for example, is something you can’t BS about unless you have actually lived there. Don’t be spewing out mistruths and misrepresentations of LA, especially since it’s now obvious to me that you’ve even never set foot in LA.

Unfortunately, unlike you, some of us aren't blessed with a car....but since I don't want to arise the argument even further, I'll stop.
Yes. Stop. It’d be better if you stop pretending and lying. People like me will catch your dishonesty and call you out on it. In addition, I don't want to have to keep setting you straight.

Pardon me for getting harsh in tone, but I get irked when dishonest people who’ve clearly never lived in LA misrepresent the city. I love LA. I’ve lived there for over 10 years, almost 15. In all that time, how could I not fall in love with the city? It is one of the unique cities in the world and the one of the few I know of where areas like Little Armenia, Koreatown, Chinatown, Little Saigon and Little Tokyo can coexist in the same city. But I love the city, much in the way I love a girl – by accepting its shortcomings and its unwritten codes. And one its shortcomings is its horrible public transportation options and one of the codes is that in LA, you need a car. Accept that, and don't act otherwise unless you've actually set foot in LA.

Now, if LA can come up with decent public transportation options, one that can adapt to the nature of the city without losing efficiency, I can get behind that. After all, I would like to think that I too am capable of environmental concerns.

marit
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by marit » Feb 8th, '05, 20:52

That`s my ride:

a BMW 3.18i .. 1993 I think :P (might be old, but I just love this car)

actually, it is pretty funny to drive sometimes, because I am a beginner and here, in my country, we (beginners) have to wear this green paper leaf infront of the windshield and ofcourse back too (you can see it from the pic).. so everybody will know: hey, this is a beginner, watch out, he/she might do something reckless
but then there are people, who take advatage of us.. they watch "OH, a green leaf" .. and they are beginning to do some pretty crazy things (like trying to pass during a red light or just stepping on the gas, thinking that beginners can`t cope to drive on full speed (which is ofcourse not true))... so basically it is not they how have to be carefull when they see a green leaf.. it is us, who have to be carefull when we are surrounded by them, cause you will never know, when they do something pretty reckless :lol

oh and bikes... love them, although, now that I have a car, I don`t ride very often..
btw I learned my bisycle riding from my grandmother, who doesn`t know how to ride a bike (she tried to learn it from my father when she was young, but after she drove into a gate with full speed (my dad forgot to tell her, where the brakes are :glare: ) she burried this idea alive :roll )

NatNat

Bombastic is a Caca DooDoohead

Post by NatNat » Feb 8th, '05, 23:48

Jesus, Bombastic. What a longwinded reply. I didn't even bother reading all of that because I got bored with your banal ranting by the end of the 1st sentence.

stop being an embittered, contrary jackass.

TyRiKe

Post by TyRiKe » Feb 9th, '05, 00:09

98 toyota camry xle :-(