D-Addicts Next begins! [Team Recruitment]

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
Aurora Australis

D-Addicts Next begins! [Team Recruitment]

Post by Aurora Australis » Mar 23rd, '16, 11:46

[Project proposal outline: DAR_Proposal_r2.pdf@dropbox]

Organizing a team to build the next version of D-A. The project aims to build a modern version of D-A: a central location to gather and rebuild the fractured community.

The project will use agile development methodology with the aim to ship an MVP release as quickly as possible. It will be a free and open site built by the community, for the community, and is best imagined as simply picking up where D-A left off, using the latest technology and features available.

For those curious, the main differentiator of this project from previous attempts that have failed to gain traction over the last 1.3 years is our approach, as briefly outlined above. I don't want this thread to get off-topic and devolve into a debate about why previous attempts were unsuccessful, but I believe those familar with the matter can appreciate the tangible benefits of agile vs. waterfall development in a case like this.

If you're interested, are willing to dedicate time, actively participate, and match one of the skill/experience sets below, please send a PM.

Developer:
  • Familiar with PHP, postgre/mySQL or other relational DBs, web development, security, *nix, and bittorrent
Designer:
  • Familar with website design, and skilled at digital illustration
Admin:
  • Experienced running *nix servers, phpbb, and maintining secure environments
Moderator/Community Manager:
  • Experienced at moderation and managing communities
Archivist:
  • Passionate about preserving drama, knowledgable about bittorrent, and a true drama addict that loves the community
All feedback and insights are welcome, especially from those with experience to share.

Cheers!

Note: I know that many folks may be burnt-out by discussions like this, so please don't take this as an announcement of a new site, but rather as an initial survey. I believe that enough of the community still exists and desires such a rebirth of D-A, but we'll find out based on community reactions to this thread.

Edit: Less wordy. :)
Updated proposal outline (r2)
Last edited by Aurora Australis on Apr 2nd, '16, 10:34, edited 3 times in total.

koshonin

Re: D-Addicts Next begins!

Post by koshonin » Mar 23rd, '16, 12:39

maybe this sounds harsh, but who are you?
where are you coming from? why now? why didn't you contribute to the previous project?
why not contribute to the ongoing discussion?
and specifically: your announcement is quite a mouthful, what projects do you have to already show for of similar size and complexity? what is your background to make that happen?
don't get me wrong, these questions are asked to shield the community from harm
putting faith in someone who never contributed anything is a little much to ask, don't you think?
you understand what I'm saying, right?
ps.: btw who is 'we'

Aurora Australis

Post by Aurora Australis » Mar 24th, '16, 00:33

Thank you for your frank (albeit curt) reply. (Apologies if you think this is too wordy, again :))
where are you coming from? why now? why didn't you contribute to the ongoing discussions?
I actually applied to help with the other efforts a year ago and was both ignored and subsequently declined. It was unfortunate, but I decided to let those with their passion lead the charge. Yet. things didn't work out, and like the rest of the community I sat around wondering what was happening and when they'd be ready. It seemed like things had simply disappeared, so about a month ago I began making my own plans to build a replacement.

The timing of this announcement and the discontinuation of the other project is purely coincidental. If they're still active and want to collaborate, I happily welcome it.

Further, it doesn't seem like there is much of a public discussion elsewhere (the other project is "discontinued"). That was part of what I was dismayed about during the last year -- there was no insight into what was happening.

I come from the same place as everyone else with regards to wondering about the future of the community. I've been patient and decided that it was my turn to take action.
your announcement is quite a mouthful...
You're right, thanks for pointing that out! Now that the day is done and I've re-read it with a "fresh" (rather, "tired") set of eyes it certainly comes off as preachy. I've re-written it to be more direct.
... what projects do you have to already show for of a similar size and complexity? what is your background to make that happen?
This is my day job, which I have over 8 years of experience with, and a similar number of years of formal education for. Although, I will admit that I have never created an East Asian Drama community before. This will be a first! :chuckles:
who are you?
... these questions are asked to shield the community from harm putting faith in someone who never contributed anything is a little much to ask, don't you think?
I agree, I think the community is burnt out with announcements like this and are tired of getting thier hopes up, which is why I explicitly asked people not to, and to not regard this as imminently announcing a new site. We'll take things cautiosly, survey the response, and make a tactical decision as to how to proceed based on that. (Although, as I alluded to previously, I have already done initial research and written design outlines, so if enough help is offered, things should proceed fairly smoothly)

This is indeed a new account; it is not my primary. I chose to separate the two because I don't want to be seen as the "owner." I'm merely helping to get things moving and in a stable place by providing my time, experience, and money. Once it has become established I fully intend to fade away and leave things in the hands of the staff (who, if things go well, will include the existing D-A staff/admins) and community. This is why I wanted to keep my primary account separate.

However, my primary account has contributed plenty to this community over the years. I have done my fair share of re-seeding, and even created subtitles for a few missing episodes of a favorite series. I've been involved in the drama "scene" since before D-A existed, before JEM was releasing his caps on BitTorrent, and heck, before anyone even knew what BitTorrent was (those were the good old days of abmj -- anyone else around from back then?).

Having been a part of the "scene" for so long I have access to all the raws I need, and am not reliant on D-A to satisfy my addition. I simply love the community, want to help revitalize it and spread the drama love. I think that it would really be a shame if things couldn't get back to where they used to be.

You've got nothing to worry about: either people who share this same goal are willing to contribute their personal time to recreate D-A, or this project fades and we're in the same place we all are now. It's entirely in the community's hands, I'm just trying to help us all get there together.

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » Mar 24th, '16, 19:07

Aurora Australis wrote:However, my primary account has contributed plenty to this community over the years. I have done my fair share of re-seeding, and even created subtitles for a few missing episodes of a favorite series. I've been involved in the drama "scene" since before D-A existed, before JEM was releasing his caps on BitTorrent, and heck, before anyone even knew what BitTorrent was (those were the good old days of abmj -- anyone else around from back then?).
Ah the days of bunnies on the newsgroups hehe. I posted for a while on ABMJ/ABMJR up to the point were the highspeed guys started flooding. There were a few other usenet users floating around before the torrent section was shutdown.

While I an not currently very active in the drama scene, I do have an archive of older releases I offered to share in past threads about reviving the old torrents. The majority include verification files such as SFV/MD5/PAR/PAR2 and many of the original torrent files.

Aurora Australis

Re: D-Addicts Next begins! [Team Recruitment]

Post by Aurora Australis » Mar 29th, '16, 09:22

Nice to hear from you, Saigo! I miss the old abmj days. I remember when people started switching to torrents, it was a sad moment especially since usenet was still superior to the early days of torrenting.

Thanks for sharing that information. I'd certainly like to take advantage of it in the "rebirth." :)

Aurora Australis

Post by Aurora Australis » Mar 29th, '16, 09:26

Thanks for all the initial PM inquiries, everyone. I've added a project outline to the first post which contains the initial introduction and outline of the aims of this project. It's still not complete (some sections are only notes which need to be elaborated upon), but it should provide a solid picture of what we're aiming to do.

Please take a look at share any thoughts and feedback.

AyoYura

Post by AyoYura » Mar 29th, '16, 12:59

Hi Aurora,

just dropping by to congratulate you on the PROPER proposal. Now that I know your goal for this project, I am convinced to take the DHT route and will be supporting you 100% (More about it in my Encrypted email xD)

Ganbare! :thumleft:

koshonin

Post by koshonin » Mar 29th, '16, 16:38

my thoughts: we should just start with a
torrent-section (as I was proposing all along) and see where we
are going from there - having a torrent-section that, other then
nyaa, has only 'our' torrents would already be an improvement I
think , and if those three (torrents-forums-wiki) all connected
by linking to each other then it wont matter where they are
hosted.
It would also be a single point of failure - if they were all to be integrated in one place.
I'm not content with [4.Risks and Mitigation], the previous point would be one of the reasons - the risk of a domain transfer would be another
actually I can't see someone giving up a domain holding such a value .
And in case the torrent-section was closed because of external pressure it wouldn't make any sense to integrate them again under one roof it would actually only highten the risk of total closure.
edit/addendum:
all the above doesn't mean that things can't be implemented with the phpBB-db-schema in mind and/or with some kind of crosstalk/(json)api that allows a well defined kind of collaboration without opening the db completely. For example: if the new torrent-site has a open registration, it would be nice to be able to query the forums if the username is already held by someone on the forums to avoid impersonation-attacks or at the very least any confusion over identities. the answer from the forums can than be simply 'true/false' and in case of 'true' the registration could be finalized via the forums (PM to mod for example)
I appologize for being so technical, it's just an outline to a different strategy, where everything can stay in place while building an annex .. :)

AyoYura

Post by AyoYura » Mar 30th, '16, 15:39

koshonin wrote: edit/addendum:
all the above doesn't mean that things can't be implemented with the phpBB-db-schema in mind and/or with some kind of crosstalk/(json)api that allows a well defined kind of collaboration without opening the db completely. For example: if the new torrent-site has a open registration, it would be nice to be able to query the forums if the username is already held by someone on the forums to avoid impersonation-attacks or at the very least any confusion over identities. the answer from the forums can than be simply 'true/false' and in case of 'true' the registration could be finalized via the forums (PM to mod for example)
I appologize for being so technical, it's just an outline to a different strategy, where everything can stay in place while building an annex .. :)
This was our plan with the previous project, actually. Like I had said, I'm more familiar with private trackers so I still think that a open-registration tracker that links back to the forum is the best work around. I'm awaiting a response from another dev who has been working with us before but lost contact for unknown reasons. The dev seems to be testing a private tracker approach using Gazelle so I will work with the dev and see what s(he) has to offer.

@Aurora Please update the page with any progress you and your team make. Hit me up on Pronton if possible

-Ayo

koshonin

Post by koshonin » Mar 30th, '16, 15:58

Hi Ayo,
I meant: 'open registration' as in "register to upload torrents" NOT as in avistaz is open for registration
sorry for the confussion
btw: did you find any setting already implemented in gazelle, that would allow to switch between closed-semiopen-open? I wasn't able to identify any.

chiyo

Post by chiyo » Mar 31st, '16, 08:16

AyoYura wrote: I'm awaiting a response from another dev who has been working with us before but lost contact for unknown reasons. The dev seems to be testing a private tracker approach using Gazelle so I will work with the dev and see what s(he) has to offer.
-Ayo
Hello, I believe you're referring to me. (^^) IMO I don't have much to offer ATM because I'm not much of a fan of php (see: ''PHP: a fractal of bad design") and don't have much xp w/ Gazelle and am not sure what people want to know about it/I have to offer in regards to it. Gazelle doesn't have a great UI out of the box, but I can show some screenshots of Animebytes, a fork which organizes shows and related content w/ tags etc in a nice fashion. I'm fine better learning PHP though if that's what it takes be it getting Gazelle to where people want or some other solution. Obviously it will take a while to get that kind of end state with either path, and ultimately it depends on what folk from DA want from devs....no point in building a house no one wants to live in.

My main reason for wanting to go the private tracker route (abet with open registration obviously) is just take a look at the past ~two years of take downs of private trackers vs public trackers. TPB original founders have all been arrested, YIFY has been taken down, PopcornTime's current status is questionable, and D-addicts' removal of torrents just to name a few. Meanwhile the biggest private trackers like What.cd, PTP, BTN, etc have yet to be taken out. The other reason is longevity. Take for example, a random drama, 'Last Kiss (2007)'. Nyaa, a public tracker, has no seeds (not to mention no good info in UI about soft/hard sub, sub language, etc). Avistaz has a slightly better info UI and has 3 seeds ATM.

tldr;
Gazelle/Ocelot has it's flaws, but it's the only really maintained open source site/tracker and requires mainly some UI and DB adjustments...no reinventing salting for everything, etc. I am however willing to work on whatever people deem fit as my interest is taking care of the RAW (and 'legacy' drama) deficit which will help fuel sub demand because from an end user perspective it does little good if subs are posted on DA still with raws still being hard to obtain...so I'll send my PM to the OP at some point soon for what it's worth. :wub:
koshonin wrote:Hi Ayo,
btw: did you find any setting already implemented in gazelle, that would allow to switch between closed-semiopen-open? I wasn't able to identify any.
Basically you just want to set "OPEN_REGISTRATION" as desired. To see how it's used see: https://github.com/WhatCD/Gazelle/blob/ ... /index.php

AyoYura

Post by AyoYura » Mar 31st, '16, 13:03

chiyo wrote: Hello, I believe you're referring to me. (^^) IMO I don't have much to offer ATM because I'm not much of a fan of php (see: ''PHP: a fractal of bad design") and don't have much xp w/ Gazelle and am not sure what people want to know about it/I have to offer in regards to it. Gazelle doesn't have a great UI out of the box, but I can show some screenshots of Animebytes, a fork which organizes shows and related content w/ tags etc in a nice fashion. I'm fine better learning PHP though if that's what it takes be it getting Gazelle to where people want or some other solution. Obviously it will take a while to get that kind of end state with either path, and ultimately it depends on what folk from DA want from devs....no point in building a house no one wants to live in.
I didn't want to mention your name without your permission xD
My main reason for wanting to go the private tracker route (abet with open registration obviously) is just take a look at the past ~two years of take downs of private trackers vs public trackers. TPB original founders have all been arrested, YIFY has been taken down, PopcornTime's current status is questionable, and D-addicts' removal of torrents just to name a few. Meanwhile the biggest private trackers like What.cd, PTP, BTN, etc have yet to be taken out. The other reason is longevity. Take for example, a random drama, 'Last Kiss (2007)'. Nyaa, a public tracker, has no seeds (not to mention no good info in UI about soft/hard sub, sub language, etc). Avistaz has a slightly better info UI and has 3 seeds ATM.
Agreed 100%
tldr;
Gazelle/Ocelot has it's flaws, but it's the only really maintained open source site/tracker and requires mainly some UI and DB adjustments...no reinventing salting for everything, etc. I am however willing to work on whatever people deem fit as my interest is taking care of the RAW (and 'legacy' drama) deficit which will help fuel sub demand because from an end user perspective it does little good if subs are posted on DA still with raws still being hard to obtain...so I'll send my PM to the OP at some point soon for what it's worth. :wub:
I wish there were more PHP guys out there willing to take on the task. This was our major flaw in the previous project too. Most people were willing to help but only one had PHP knowledge.
koshonin wrote:Hi Ayo,
Basically you just want to set "OPEN_REGISTRATION" as desired. To see how it's used see: https://github.com/WhatCD/Gazelle/blob/ ... /index.php
That's the only way, I think.

Fighting!
Ayo

Aurora Australis

Post by Aurora Australis » Apr 2nd, '16, 10:36

Uploaded outline r2 and updated link in OP.

Added Section 6: “Community Participation” information and “Reseed Request System” outline. Added additional note to Section 2

Aurora Australis

Post by Aurora Australis » Apr 2nd, '16, 10:38

koshonin wrote:my thoughts...
Thanks for the reply. :) It's fine to talk about technical details as that's what's really important.

Yes, they would be separate parts of the same overall site, just like they were before the drama section was removed, but I hadn't thought of making them so disjoint as to run on separate hosts. An interesting idea! As you mentioned, they would need to be integrated with eachother somehow, and I see a few issues with this approach that need to be addressed:

1. If Ruroshin removed the drama section due to c-troll pressure, then I don't think he would add a reference to the new drama section anywhere on the site if he is still the listed owner. I think we can agree that for this project to work we at least need a link on the forum top page (it would also be great if the service could use the subdomain drama.d-addicts.com), but if this guess is correct then the only option would be to remove him from the fore and make the domain and host information anonymous -- or to uproot everything and move it to a new, anonymously registered location which is not what I think you or the community wants.

2. There needs to be some fairly deep integration between the forum and drama sections. The user identies and post related stats (such as number of posts, and post indicies for searching) need to be able to roam across sections. Unfortunately, this isn't my specialty so I don't have any ideas how to tackle this.

#2 is important to be able to enable the "community participation" feature to ensure torrent health that I haven't documented yet.

And of course, we still need access to the main site to make the necessary changes.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I'd really like it if we could renew the site's SSL certificate. :)

EDIT: I forgot to say that I agree: the first priority should be getting a functioning drama index site up and iterate from there. Simplest is best. These private gazelle-based tracker approaches seem to set a high bar to entry as noted by Ayo and Chiyo's posts.

Aurora Australis

Post by Aurora Australis » Apr 2nd, '16, 10:43

chiyo wrote:...
I agree, there is a potential problem with keeping old torrents active and available, but there's nothing magical about a private tracker that keeps old torrents alive.

Enforced seeding ratios don't work because it's possible to maintain a decent ratio by only seeding new releases. Further, the demand for new content is much higher than old content so you'll never maintain a balance seeing old things.

To get around this problem some sites give credit for users that seed torrents, reardless of their upload statistics, which can be traded in for upload "credit" to balance your ratio. However, this also doesn't solve the problem because a user can still seed recent drama only and maintain their ratio.

You could go the totalitarian route and make it a strict requirement that users seed old drama and develop a system to make sure that someone is seing all content; however, I don't think this would actually work for several reasons. The first being that a significant fraction of the community reside in areas where they may not have a lot of bandwidth or be able to leave their machines on 24/7. Secondly, the cost/benefit for the user isn't that great because users could find the drama elsewhere if they search hard enough. Finally, we are unlikely to have our own release team creating content that would entice users to want to obey the rules to stay a member. There are other release groups that do this and we don't need to fragement the community (which is small enough as it is) by being in competition with them.

Just like with any other community, there are some that will want to share and some that won't. There are some that are able to share and others that can't. Rather than enforce strict rules, we should reward those that contribute and reinforce that positive behavior. This is what the "community participation" section in the proposal outline is about.

Regarding takedown, TPB did a lot to make it self a target, yet it still lives on. To protect against having a single point of failure I propose to keep the torrent index backed up separately and periodically released to the community just as TPB did with their "TPB on a thumbstick" release.

Himitsu17

Post by Himitsu17 » Apr 4th, '16, 18:23

Hi there :)

I think your project is quite interesting. I would like to help :) To make it short, I'm in third (and last) year of engineer school in software development. I have experience in PHP, postgres/MySQL, Web Development. I know a small amount of Security knowledge (but I won't say I'm the best in this field). I don't know nix, but if it's a package manager, I might be able to get used to it. To finish, I only know bittorent from the user point of view. I'm also familiar enough with CSS to be able to help with the designing.

Previously, I had a job as community manager during almost more than 2 years. If needed, I'm willing to help for this side of the project too.

However, I can't be available before the end of my school year - as it's my last and important year. I will be able to work with you a bit on the conception work (that being in small amounts and I will be prioritizing school work). I might have more time to help from 24 of May, however I will really be free to help starting 16 of July.

If, even through I won't be available immediately, my help interest you, I'm available to talk more about it ;)

Have a nice day

koshonin

Post by koshonin » Apr 8th, '16, 22:49

here is what I suggest as a compromize that will keep all options (fully-integrated/tightly-nit/disjoint-collaboration) open and avoids to write code for naught:
a- define the basic torrent-section and it's collaboration with the forums under those three aspects (I actually think only the usernames should be the same; everything else like #of posts is not essential to the torrents-section)
b- develop the forums-interface as a phpBB-plugin (exposing some (secured-)api endpoints for example)
b would make it easy for the forums admins to review the code and to decide based on that
@chiyo would you like to develop based on cppcms instead of php?
@Aurora: why not attach your proposal-pdf to your first post?

chiyo

Post by chiyo » Apr 14th, '16, 16:17

koshonin wrote: @chiyo would you like to develop based on cppcms instead of php?
I mean, I can. I forgot to mention most of my experience is in the .NET stack w/ MVC patterning (C#, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript) and then Java for writing the random Android app or desktop app. Last time I did C/C++ was for two years ending about four years ago, and that was all command line/terminal stuff, nothing for the web.
Like I said in my first post, in the end my goals and desires are to work with whatever is best for the group, I personally prefer the .NET stack because it utilizes web standards from the get-go (e.g. Bootstrap) and enforces (to a decent degree) 'proper' OOD at a web dev level which help wards off spaghetti code. I don't see myself being a lead dev on this project simply because I can't make that kind of time commitment so I don't think my input should be taken as the deciding factor for frameworks, but that's kind of where I sit.

In the meantime until this gets hardened I'll probably just play around and develop a C# open source prototype that interfaces with the DB Gazelle provides and Animebytes' Chihaya tracker in GO for giggles to brush up on the sort of general structure we might want this thing to take as well as learning how to interface CRUD with trackers since I have no xp in that ATM :lol

koshonin

Post by koshonin » Apr 15th, '16, 10:29

chiyo wrote:

In the meantime until this gets hardened I'll probably just play around and develop a C# open source prototype that interfaces with the DB Gazelle provides and Animebytes' Chihaya tracker in GO for giggles to brush up on the sort of general structure we might want this thing to take as well as learning how to interface CRUD with trackers since I have no xp in that ATM :lol
that kind of experience/expertise/insight will be usefull and learning by playing is the best way to do it anyways. :)
Maybe you want to take a look at fossil-scm too (it's really slick)
thanks for the bg info: It's good to know where everyone is comming from.
I never used MS-dev-tools (c#, .net, visual-) nor am I a fan of Java.

AyoYura

Post by AyoYura » Apr 20th, '16, 20:58

I haven't seen much activity here but I still wanted to share this for those interested in running a PT

http://swetorrentking.github.io/rartracker/

Regards,
Ayo

venomqo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by venomqo » Apr 22nd, '16, 00:19

I agree with the private tracker route, maybe have it less exclusive then some private trackers though, and also the statistics would help, so hit-and-runners can be culled and people that contribute can thrive. I dream of the day we can finally have a central location for sharing drama files and a properly active community again.

SusieQ

Post by SusieQ » May 16th, '16, 06:23

Aurora Australis wrote:
chiyo wrote:...
I agree, there is a potential problem with keeping old torrents active and available, but there's nothing magical about a private tracker that keeps old torrents alive.

Enforced seeding ratios don't work because it's possible to maintain a decent ratio by only seeding new releases. Further, the demand for new content is much higher than old content so you'll never maintain a balance seeing old things.

To get around this problem some sites give credit for users that seed torrents, reardless of their upload statistics, which can be traded in for upload "credit" to balance your ratio. However, this also doesn't solve the problem because a user can still seed recent drama only and maintain their ratio
Jumping in (better late than never) to point out something. I'll preface it by saying I've been watching the discussion of a "new d-addicts" off and on since the torrent section here was closed, seen nothing come of it (so far), and instead I've adapted to the new drama-sharing climate. To be honest, I would use a new drama torrent site, but if there never is one I won't be disappointed. I consider myself a neutral party.

Now, what I would like to say is that your view of PTs is somewhat pessimistic.

I am currently seeding 46 torrents on Avistaz. They range in age from something like 5 years to 5 weeks old. I've never been unable to grab an older torrent. Their system works because 1) people are generally good about seeding; they are like-minded individuals that want to be able to grab torrents regardless of age and 2) Avistaz itself has multiple systems in place to encourage continuous seeding and reseeding.

I get a message whenever a torrent I downloaded in the past needs a reseeder. Everyone does. Top torrents requiring seeds are on the front page. Points are now awarded per torrent, per hour on the new site so with 46 torrents I get a whopping 1.46 points an hour. 1000 points (about 685 hours of seeding) buys me a measly 10 gigs. I don't have a 1:1 ratio right now, but the system will allow me to catch up, eventually, although very slowly. And I want to catch up. If you have a lower ratio, you have to wait to download new torrents.

Essentially, it's a trust-based system like all torrents (despite that you can buy upload credit via donations), public or private. You have to trust that people will continue to seed their torrents to a 1:1 ratio or better, or at least TRY to (it's not always possible), and Avistaz's system actively encourages (sometimes, in extreme cases, enforces) good habits, while discouraging bad ones. It's impossible to maintain a pattern of hit-and-runs because users doing so WILL be caught and punished. You also CAN'T survive only seeding new torrents. Imagine you are one of 50 seeders on a torrent with TWO OR THREE leechers. You'll have to be really lucky to hit 1:1 right away. The system works in my experience!

In conclusion, it takes some time to work out the kinks, but private trackers DO work.

And so do public ones! In fact, it doesn't actually matter whether you go with something like a TPB model or an Avistaz model.

Just get out of the frickin' planning stage and MAKE SOMETHING ALREADY. :thumright:

edit: If anyone who has little to no experience with private trackers would like to check out Avistaz, PM me. I can send you an invite. But do not ask unless you mean to share.

koshonin

Post by koshonin » May 18th, '16, 18:52

Aurora, a lifesign would be appreciated!

Jamie Mac

Post by Jamie Mac » May 23rd, '16, 07:18

Seems like this project might be dead in the water as well :pale:

heat6jones

Post by heat6jones » Sep 29th, '16, 16:35

The project is dead just like this site is dead. The problem with the site is it's for fans of Asian dramas. Clearly we're writing in English so many of us are not in Asia which means there is NO WAY to watch the dramas in a legal way (buying DVDs or watching on television).

So this community is dead without a torrent section. How can we discuss dramas if we can't even watch them?

I realize with laws things get complicated and I don't fault the owners of daddicts for going in the direction they did but ultimately this site and community has no future and not only that but many dramas are dying off with the site. For example the NHK taiga drama Tenchijin is basically gone from the internet. All that remains are a bunch of damaged, bad quaity, out of sync audio eps on kissasian. There are plenty more dramas that have and will suffer the same fate.

But if the creators of dramas do not want a western presence then that's their choice I guess. The law is certainly on their side.

in2sky
Japan

Post by in2sky » Nov 13th, '17, 15:32

sad to see the community dividing and no new serious project.